Choose Your Legends Round 4 Official Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

Will you vote in CYL Round 4?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Where will your votes go?

• I'm not voting.
    • I'm (mostly) voting for a Three Houses character/s.
    • I'm (mostly) voting for a Heroes OC/s.
    • I'm voting for someone from an earlier game.

3 minutes ago, Dylan Corona said:

While I know she can use the Thunderbrand, giving it to her Brave would be a mistake. They're bound to add Catherine at some point and if they give it to Lysithea, than Catherine would have to have a different personal weapon and that seems like a mess. 

Yes and I would prefer it if they don’t but they’ve done it before with other characters. They could also give them both the Thunderbrand but make one of them “exalted” and the other “Holy” and give them different bonuses.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, mrwanton said:

People legit like Pants-less Marth?

It looks horrendous and I love it. It's just like Alm's dick-armor. It's just kinda a meme at this point. Plus he's probably guaranteed to get it, based off of everything we've seen. The Early FE characters always get a slight redesign of their original artwork for their brave alts. Celica and Alm had their FE2 designs, so it's only fitting.

In other words, how could you not like pants-less Marth?

3 minutes ago, mrwanton said:

People legit like Pants-less Marth?

Well... as a FE1/Shadow Dragon Marth voter, no, but given the trend of past CYL alts, which is to say Alm and Celica in their original outfits, it seems the most likely to happen.
Plus it'd just be plain ridiculous.

20 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

Seems like you just likely missed the purpose of his character~ He's basically a deconstruction of the typical FE Lord archetype in his dislike of chivary, which conflicts with the ideas of his home country, and his immense amount of self-loathing to the extent that he doesn't care whether he lives or dies for the sake of giving the deceased peace.

He is waaay more than just some feral hobo, he's an extremely interesting character, but it's easy to miss if you just reduce him to "edgy boi".

Before anything, I want it understood that I played and completed Azure Moon within a week or two of the game being released, so I'm trying to remember everything I can about Dimitri from over 6 months ago...
And I don't remember that being the impression I got of him. Academy Arc Dimitri I remember being the most paper cut-out FE Lord  with hints of a traumatic past up until... was it chapter 10? Well, when the big reveal happens and he pretty much tosses that out the window and demands the head of anyone with white hair, purple eyes, and an axe.
From there... I don't see "edgy boi", I see "the enemy". Not caring for anything but the destruction of an empire for the sake of the dead he obsesses for, ignoring the world around him that is willing to put their lives on the line for him, I don't even remember him being much more than "cool, now don't do it again. Now slaughter" when Dedue came back, you know when he thought Dedue was one of the dead he obsessed for?

So maybe I missed the purpose of his character, but excuse me for missing the deconstruction of a Lord when he's acting like the Tyrant.

To be honest I kind of hope Eirika or any other rally target for that matter doesn't manage to pull the upset. Nothing against Eirika but I feel like she'll bounce back much easier next year than someone like Lysithea or Bernadetta. After 3H is less new and they likely have a version in the game, they'll likely never see this kind of push again, and seeing not only a non-lord but not even a retainer or particular plot centric character get a brave alt would be really special, at least I think so anyway. I know people don't like the idea of choose your houses banner but I think the game had done enough to earn it.

41 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

I believe we could get Gremory Lysithea for her possible Brave Alt.

Reveal hidden contents

XwEyh1s.jpg

And for Dimitri, we could have his Great Lord outfit, or even something based on his father, like how we had with both Ike and Ephraim:

Reveal hidden contents

RXoo7IP.jpg fMPTyBP.jpg

Claude could be his Barbarossa, or an outfit based on Almyra, like Nader's:

Reveal hidden contents

p7xbrJA.jpg hmBPngg.png

I was even thinking about Almyra King Claude.

Edelgard could be her Emperor Class, or, like Dimitri, be related to her father, King Ionius IX:

Reveal hidden contents

BPPBf25.jpg xC9id9o.png

eh, don't really agree here

we've never had a brave unit who was basically a class promotion, but instead every  brave unit except for alm and celica were references/homages to one person they loved

as for what i expect these characters to look like as brave heroes, i have absolutely no idea, but if previous brave heroes are anything to go by, they're not gonna be class promotions

Just now, Yexin said:

eh, don't really agree here

we've never had a brave unit who was basically a class promotion, but instead every  brave unit except for alm and celica were references/homages to one person they loved

as for what i expect these characters to look like as brave heroes, i have absolutely no idea, but if previous brave heroes are anything to go by, they're not gonna be class promotions

That's why I added some references to others character for the House Leaders... For Lysithea, i went for the Gremory class because... What she can reference?

1 minute ago, Xenomata said:

Before anything, I want it understood that I played and completed Azure Moon within a week or two of the game being released, so I'm trying to remember everything I can about Dimitri from over 6 months ago...
And I don't remember that being the impression I got of him. Academy Arc Dimitri I remember being the most paper cut-out FE Lord  with hints of a traumatic past up until... was it chapter 10? Well, when the big reveal happens and he pretty much tosses that out the window and demands the head of anyone with white hair, purple eyes, and an axe.
From there... I don't see "edgy boi", I see "the enemy". Not caring for anything but the destruction of an empire for the sake of the dead he obsesses for, ignoring the world around him that is willing to put their lives on the line for him, I don't even remember him being much more than "cool, now don't do it again. Now slaughter" when Dedue came back, you know when he thought Dedue was one of the dead he obsessed for?

So maybe I missed the purpose of his character, but excuse me for missing the deconstruction of a Lord when he's acting like the Tyrant.

Dimitri was acting as a paper-cut out FE Lord, but he was putting on a facade for much of his Academy time. Dimitri spent most of the entire story expecting to die and not giving any kind of value to his own life. He's not just killing people randomly, his sense of justice to extreme enough to the point that he doesn't think those who trample over the weak deserve to live. He doesn't want to destroy the empire to appease the dead, he wants to destroy the one he believes is responsible for unjustly taking innocent lives, as well as overtaking Faerghus.

Spoiler

Dedue's return. is actually when you start to see Dimitri begin to change (that and when Rodrigue shows up). He tells him not to throw his life away again because he sees more value in Dedue's life than Dedue sees in himself.

Like I said, maybe you did miss it, a lot of people just see Dimitri on the surface and miss the point of his character and arc~ I'm not saying you have to love him or even care about him, I'm just telling you why since you seem to have not gotten the gist of the route~

55 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

I also personally don't think Eirika (or Marth) "deserve" to win, the units who get the votes do (i've been seeing a lot of "deserve" today LOL).

I'd argue that Marth deserves it since he technically already should have won CYL 2. IS really screwed him over by separating his Shadow Dragon and New Mystery votes. In total, he had MORE votes than Ephraim.

1 minute ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I'd argue that Marth deserves it since he technically already should have won CYL 2. IS really screwed him over by separating his Shadow Dragon and New Mystery votes. In total, he had MORE votes than Ephraim.

Marth is the only one that I will defend about the concept "deserve to win", and it's for this reason you just mentioned.

It's not because Celica won, that Alm deserved to win in CYL 3 (although I liked that he won but I was disappointed by his brave alt), and it's not because Ephraim's won  that Eirika deserves to win as well (sorry Eirika's fans).

6 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

Dimitri was acting as a paper-cut out FE Lord, but he was putting on a facade for much of his Academy time. Dimitri spent most of the entire story expecting to die and not giving any kind of value to his own life. He's not just killing people randomly, his sense of justice to extreme enough to the point that he doesn't think those who trample over the weak deserve to live. He doesn't want to destroy the empire to appease the dead, he wants to destroy the one he believes is responsible for unjustly taking innocent lives, as well as overtaking Faerghus.

Hide contents

Dedue's return. is actually when you start to see Dimitri begin to change (that and when Rodrigue shows up). He tells him not to throw his life away again because he sees more value in Dedue's life than Dedue sees in himself.

Like I said, maybe you did miss it, a lot of people just see Dimitri on the surface and miss the point of his character and arc~ I'm not saying you have to love him or even care about him, I'm just telling you why since you seem to have not gotten the gist of the route~

I probably just can't see the reason to like Dimitri because the kind of character Dimitri was for the first half of the War Arc (from my point of view calling him a tyrant) is the kind of character I DON'T like. Add on the whole paper cut-out Lord act, and... well, for what it's worth I can't say I like Edelgard much, but then I haven't seen her on the Black Eagles route yet, and at the very least she seems a lot more genuine than Dimitri was being in the Academy arc.
...I dunno, I don't get why people can like tyrants, psychos, yanaderes, and such either.

29 minutes ago, Strullemia said:

Yes and I would prefer it if they don’t but they’ve done it before with other characters. They could also give them both the Thunderbrand but make one of them “exalted” and the other “Holy” and give them different bonuses.

I guess, but with all the types or spells she can learn, I would think they would just give her one of those instead haha. But I guess we'll see. I'm happy she's winning though!

6 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

I probably just can't see the reason to like Dimitri because the kind of character Dimitri was for the first half of the War Arc (from my point of view calling him a tyrant) is the kind of character I DON'T like. Add on the whole paper cut-out Lord act, and... well, for what it's worth I can't say I like Edelgard much, but then I haven't seen her on the Black Eagles route yet, and at the very least she seems a lot more genuine than Dimitri was being in the Academy arc.

...I dunno, I don't get why people can like tyrants, psychos, yanaderes, and such either.

What i can say about Dimitri is that... I understand why people do not like and I also understand why people like him... During is edgy phase, he was so annoying for me... but after this he got better and become an enjoyable character... I like Dimitri, but he feels like the most generic of the three house leaders. he just have a sad background, but he kinda has the "prince/future king that trust in his allies" personality when he doesn't want to kill every last one of them.

About Edelgard... Just to explain myself here: I played Golden Deer first, then Blue Lions and then Black Eagles. I didn't like Edelgard in Golden Deer, I started to dislike her even more in Blue Lions, and the dislike became hate in Black Eagles. That's all I will say about her.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

6 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

And if that's the typa character you don't like, then it's understandable why that's the opinion you have~ Nothing wrong with that~ I'm just saying, that's really just looking at Dimitri from a surface level if all you got from him was "tyrant", but you're free to that opinion of him, either way~ Not really trying to persuade you one way or the other~

55 minutes ago, Othin said:

I'm guessing we'll get less shake-ups this year than the previous two - if Marth and Eirika couldn't get ahead of the 3H characters by now

On the contrary, I've seen people deciding to vote for Eirika and Marth specifically to avoid the Brave banner being all Three Houses characters.

31 minutes ago, Usana said:

But seeing that Eirika could use some extra pushing has me rather tempted to go all in

YES!! Thank you so so much!! This makes me so happy to see!!

15 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

argue that Marth deserves it since he technically already should have won CYL 2

@daisy jane I'd argue the same for Eirika since she was a favorite to win until Sacred Memories dropped in the middle of voting 😕

28 minutes ago, Ether said:

I kind of hope Eirika or any other rally target for that matter doesn't manage to pull the upset

The problem is that *everyone* will have it easier next year and on. CYL5 for example will likely have F!Byleth, Plumeria and any other OCs be the ones to beat. If anything, now is Eirika's best chance for a rally.

2 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I'd argue the same for Eirika since she was a favorite to win until Sacred Memories dropped in the middle of voting

That's a fair point: MIDTERM RESULTS ARE A MISTAKE

We should only know the final result, not how the votings are going because of course it will manipulate the remaining votes!

I think deserving is  kinda dumb because at the end of the day it's just an alt(Marth has like 4 or 5) however, it's FE 30th bday so I don't mind if Marth wins finally.

That being said, I'm really shocked at all the anti 3 houses sentiment that's come out recently.

15 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

or it's because people don't see Dimitri as a tyrant/psycho/yandere and that's why they like him (whatever reason it may be). I mean you don't have to like Dimitri and no one is forcing you to but, you don't have to generalize and make up assumptions as to why people may or may not like Dimitri because they don't view the character the same way you do.

Anyways, if the top 4 is secured (I think Lysithea or Bernie could easily take #2, considering last CYL Eliwood ended up beating Marth in the end). I would like to see the characters flip flop (Axe Dimitri, Lance Edlegard, but still very kingdom/empire-esque for example). The war arc 3h lords (same with the other students) will probably be pull-able units at some point, so it'd be lazy and kinda dumb to have them be brave alts.

Edited by Lunarly

Just now, mrwanton said:

Marth has like 4 or 5

He only has three. 😕 Groom, legendary, and that Christmas duo version with Elice.

That said, while Marth should've won by now imo, I still would prefer Dimitri and Claude as the winners for the male side at the moment. I like those guys more.

1 minute ago, Lunarly said:

or it's because people don't see Dimitri as a tyrant/psycho/yandere and that's why they like him (whatever reason it may be). I mean you don't have to like Dimitri and no one is forcing you to but, you don't have to generalize and make up assumptions as to why people may or may not like Dimitri because they don't view the character the same way you do.

...what? I never assumed anything about why people like Dimitri, and I admitted that I probably can't like Dimitri because I can't get past the things he is and does as dark Dimitri. But... literally my first question was if I missed something when playing the Blue Lions route. And @Landmaster pretty clearly explained that yeah I did.
If I can't see the appeal of a character, how am I assuming anything? Or is it that because I don't like him, no one should? Because I don't think like that...

8 minutes ago, mrwanton said:

That being said, I'm really shocked at all the anti 3 houses sentiment that's come out recently.

I believe people are not against 3H characters winning the CYL... But it's not that great when all four winners ARE 3H characters...

All previous CYL banners have one character of different games. And even though the games repeated between banners, all units in that banner were from different games:

• CYL 1: Path of Radiance, Blazing Blade, Binding Blade and Awakening;
  • CYL 2: Blazing Blade, Echoes, Sacred Stones and Heroes;
  • CYL 3: Echoes, Radiant Dawn, Blazing Blade and Fates.

Now we have a situation that we may have:

• CYL 4: Three Houses, Three Houses, Three Houses and Three Houses.

It looks less like a Special Alts banner and more like just a new Three Houses Banner where everyone is an alt unit.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

14 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I'd argue the same for Eirika since she was a favorite to win until Sacred Memories dropped in the middle of voting 😕

Well, if I had the job of designing Brave Eirika, it would pretty much be Tome Eirika. Maybe infantry/armoured instead of cavalry to better reflect Lyon, but the same concept.

I don't know why people put so much prestige into having a Brave alt. Or rather, I do, but nothing good can come of talking about it.

2 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

It looks less like a Special Alts banner and more like just a new Three Houses Banner where everyone is an alt unit.

It'll be interesting to see how complacent some voters will get though. If everyone assumes Dimitri will win and therefore stop voting for him, he may drop and allow Marth voters to overtake him. I know forums only account for a small part of voters but wherever I turn people are voting for Marth and Eirika, which makes it feel as though they aren't very far behind.

12 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

He only has three. 😕 Groom, legendary, and that Christmas duo version with Elice.

That said, while Marth should've won by now imo, I still would prefer Dimitri and Claude as the winners for the male side at the moment. I like those guys more.

Oh don't get me wrong. I like Claude and Dimitri a lot more than Marth. That's not even a contest. I just think he's been messed over a lot and deserves his day after CYL2 did him dirty.

Of course, I'm gonna be really salty if Claude doesn't get 1st next CYL as a result. My main fear is the 3H love wearing off by next year and him becoming the new Marth... no thank you.

Edited by mrwanton