Choose Your Legends Round 4 Official Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

Will you vote in CYL Round 4?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Where will your votes go?

• I'm not voting.
    • I'm (mostly) voting for a Three Houses character/s.
    • I'm (mostly) voting for a Heroes OC/s.
    • I'm voting for someone from an earlier game.

One thing I hate about the "well the votes were split so really Ike is most popular" argument is that it fails to take into account people who:

A) Voted for both PoR and RD Ike

B) Specifically voted for one while actively disliking the other.

C) Specifically voted for one because of gameplay purposes, not character purposes.

For those reasons, I don't think you can truly say Lyn is more popular than Ike, or Ike more popular for Lyn. Similarly to Edelgard and Dimitri, I don't think you can truly say one is definitively more popular than the other. There's too many other factors besides simple CYL votes. The most accurate thing you can say is that the two 1st place winners are around equal popularity.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Hide contents

One thing I hate about the "well the votes were split so really Ike is most popular" argument is that it fails to take into account people who:

A) Voted for both PoR and RD Ike

B) Specifically voted for one while actively disliking the other.

C) Specifically voted for one because of gameplay purposes, not character purposes.

For those reasons, I don't think you can truly say Lyn is more popular than Ike, or Ike more popular for Lyn. Similarly to Edelgard and Dimitri, I don't think you can truly say one is definitively more popular than the other. There's too many other factors besides simple CYL votes. The most accurate thing you can say is that the two 1st place winners are around equal popularity.

What we can say, though, is that if CYL1's votes were combined in the same way as recent ones (which most people consider more accurate), Ike would have taken first place.

25 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

I mean...

Spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

She is divisive, but there's always been the case of how people either think pitifully that she's not popular, and others try and insist that Edelgard is not anywhere near popular as the others, such as Dimitri. The Dream Poll results always make it seem like Dimitri is the most beloved character because he always topped the charts.

But here, though he did top the male section, he did NOT beat Edelgard. It goes to show that Edelgard is more popular or just as popular.

Also, though certainly not "perfect", it's better than what the Dream poll results give. Because it is a wider fanbase and you only get 7 votes total, but you can miss some votes if you forget to vote. I've actually seen plenty of people have Dimitri as their pick for all 7 days. For me, I picked Marth 5 times and Edelgard only 2 times. 

Some try to say "waifu" but if you actually look at it, Edelgard's the only one that ever won popular vote from the female side since Lyn, and Lyn only won that because Ike had split votes back then. Meaning Edelgard won the popular vote without any handicap.

Spoiler

I feel like this is gonna be a reoccurring trend since youve posted this like in the Edelgard popularity thread and the Kingdoms and Empires gauntlet thread.

I mean Edelgard still lands top 5 even in Nintendo Dream Polls and there are very little people that deny her popularity. They might be vocal on their hate but that doesnt necessarily correlate to them denying her popularity.

Famitsu Dream Polls make Dimitri appeared beloved and topped the charts because people voted for him and he landed in #1. Your wording makes it seem like they either rigged the votes or forced people to vote for Dimitri. It's still a poll regardless and it's results are still valid, only difference is it just focuses on a smaller demographic of people.

CYL is the most reliable poll but it's still far from perfect. Having 7 votes that you can miss (and also the possibility of making more than 1 account, I mean there are a few people that said they made 3-5 accounts in this thread). If they can count the individual amount of people that voted for each character (instead of total votes), it would boost its reliability (but still doesnt take into account duped accounts).

I mean if anything when the game first released the sheer popularity of Black Eagles being chosen enabled them to make fun of those who started Blue Lions and thought Dimitri would never be popular because BL house was picked the least for first playthroughs in Youtube/Twitter/Reddit. 

1 minute ago, Lunarly said:

Having 7 votes that you can miss (and also the possibility of making more than 1 account, I mean there are a few people that said they made 3-5 accounts in this thread). If they can count the individual amount of people that voted for each character (instead of total votes), it would boost its reliability (but still doesnt take into account duped accounts).

That's not how it works.

The 7 votes someone gives to the same character are worth the exact same as the 7 votes someone else gives to 7 different characters. If you chose to split your votes, then you chose to split your votes. You didn't "vote for more characters", you "split your votes across more characters".

It's no different than saying that every voter has 1 vote, but you're allowed to distribute it out in pieces of 1/7.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

That's not how it works.

The 7 votes someone gives to the same character are worth the exact same as the 7 votes someone else gives to 7 different characters. If you chose to split your votes, then you chose to split your votes. You didn't "vote for more characters", you "split your votes across more characters".

It's no different than saying that every voter has 1 vote, but you're allowed to distribute it out in pieces of 1/7.

7 votes you can miss, as in if you miss a day you lose a vote. If there was a way to get 7 votes straight up then it'd be fine. 

1 minute ago, Lunarly said:

7 votes you can miss, as in if you miss a day you lose a vote. If there was a way to get 7 votes straight up then it'd be fine. 

A vote you missed is no different than a vote you abstained from using out of indifference. "If you really cared that much about a character, you'd have made sure to use all of your votes."

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

A vote you missed is no different than a vote you abstained from using out of indifference. "If you really cared that much about a character, you'd have made sure to use all of your votes."

agree to disagree then

19 minutes ago, Lunarly said:
  Hide contents

I feel like this is gonna be a reoccurring trend since youve posted this like in the Edelgard popularity thread and the Kingdoms and Empires gauntlet thread.

I mean Edelgard still lands top 5 even in Nintendo Dream Polls and there are very little people that deny her popularity. They might be vocal on their hate but that doesnt necessarily correlate to them denying her popularity.

Famitsu Dream Polls make Dimitri appeared beloved and topped the charts because people voted for him and he landed in #1. Your wording makes it seem like they either rigged the votes or forced people to vote for Dimitri. It's still a poll regardless and it's results are still valid, only difference is it just focuses on a smaller demographic of people.

CYL is the most reliable poll but it's still far from perfect. Having 7 votes that you can miss (and also the possibility of making more than 1 account, I mean there are a few people that said they made 3-5 accounts in this thread). If they can count the individual amount of people that voted for each character (instead of total votes), it would boost its reliability (but still doesnt take into account duped accounts).

I mean if anything when the game first released the sheer popularity of Black Eagles being chosen enabled them to make fun of those who started Blue Lions and thought Dimitri would never be popular because BL house was picked the least for first playthroughs in Youtube/Twitter/Reddit. 

Indeed.

Spoiler

Even there, she's still popular. And I agree that even CYL is not concrete, but the things you said applies on the other side in regards to Dimitri or others. People with Edelgard can miss votes, and people can have multiple accounts for Dimitri. 

I would say that the statistics of things like gift giving or unit usage also shows a lot of how many people like characters or play their routes more and such.

There's no way to have total concrete evidence, but it's still something that shows people do vote for characters and she is very popular. She very well might be more popular, or at least just as popular. 

1 hour ago, Thane said:
  Hide contents

I could see the three lordlings getting their alternate hairstyles. What do you guys want for Lysithea?

Spoiler

I'd like a Gremory Lysithea. I've seen people wish for her natural hair color but I prefer her white hair more, myself~

I can't click on links right now. Can someone tell me how well Tormod, Rath, and Luthier did overall?

Also, if this year doesn't add them in the game, I'll continue to vote for them because holy fuck why are they not in the fucking game yet? Tormod I can understand because poor guy isn't super popular even in Tellius, but how are Rath and Luthier not in this stupid game yet.

3 minutes ago, Landmaster said:
Spoiler

I'd like a Gremory Lysithea. I've seen people wish for her natural hair color but I prefer her white hair more, myself~

Spoiler

I do like the more "what if" scenarios though, but I can see the argument that, if they change Lysithea's hair color to her original one, it could kind of go against what people voted for.

Still, I guess Gremory is the natural answer for her. Thunderbrand could be fun too, though I don't see Lysithea getting a physical alt any time soon.

6 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:
  Hide contents

Tormod: 232nd; 618 votes

Rath: 129th; 1,204 votes

Luthier: 135th; 1,121 votes

I am very disappointed that all the 3H spam pushed Rath out of top 100. If this means that it takes longer for him to get into the game, I'll be quite upset. (Well, as upset as I can bother to get about a video game anyway.) But is he still within the top 5 for Blazing Sword characters not in the game yet?

EDIT: That said, is it just me or did Tormod actually score decently? If this is higher than his previous years, I'm satisfied on that front at least.

EDIT2: Yep. Even despite all the new 3H and TMS characters coming in, Tormod scored higher than the previous year.

Edited by Sunwoo

1 minute ago, Thane said:
  Hide contents

I do like the more "what if" scenarios though, but I can see the argument that, if they change Lysithea's hair color to her original one, it could kind of go against what people voted for.

Still, I guess Gremory is the natural answer for her. Thunderbrand could be fun too, though I don't see Lysithea getting a physical alt any time soon.

Spoiler

I forgot about Thunderbrand, that would actually be pretty nice, though if Catherine gets in, they'll probably want to make it  her Prf, I'd assume. I wouldn't mind a Physical Lysithea, I see people who think it would be cool if the alts are based on Budding talents so Swordsithea has a chance.

3 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Hide contents

But is he still within the top 5 for Blazing Sword characters not in the game yet?

By my count, yes--only behind Louise and Nils, as of CYL 3, which is the base I'm using until the official results come out.

9 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Reveal hidden contents

I am very disappointed that all the 3H spam pushed Rath out of top 100. If this means that it takes longer for him to get into the game, I'll be quite upset. (Well, as upset as I can bother to get about a video game anyway.) But is he still within the top 5 for Blazing Sword characters not in the game yet?

Spoiler

1: Nils (78th; 2,336 votes)
2: Merlinus?, not sure if FE6 or FE7 Merlinus but it's probably FE7 (110th; 1,456 votes)
3: Erk (111th; 1,445 votes)
4: Athos (114th; 1,409 votes)
5: Leila (124th; 1,266 votes)
6: Rath (129th; 1,204 votes)

No, I don't know why Merlinus is here either.

3 minutes ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

By my count, yes--only behind Louise and Nils, as of CYL 3, which is the base I'm using until the official results come out.

Oh, and speaking of Louise

Spoiler

361st in CYL4 with only 293 votes

We didn't need proof that her results in CYL3 were a complete farce, but now we have it all the same

Edited by Tybrosion

1 minute ago, Tybrosion said:
  Hide contents

1: Nils (78th; 2,336 votes)
2: Merlinus?, not sure if FE6 or FE7 Merlinus but it's probably FE7 (110th; 1,456 votes)
3: Erk (111th; 1,445 votes)
4: Athos (114th; 1,409 votes)
5: Leila (124th; 1,266 votes)
6: Rath (129th; 1,204 votes)

No, I don't know why Merlinus is here either.

I guess if we assume that Merlinus and Athos won't be on the same banner as other playable characters, Rath has a shot with on the next banner alongside Nils and Erk or something. If Leila's also not on a playable units banner, he might have a better shot. Ah, it's still frustrating to see him fall out of top 100, lest IS get the stupid idea he's no longer popular or something.

9 hours ago, Etheus said:

So, how does everyone see themselves voting next year?

Honestly I might just abstain. The final results were no different from the midterms and the lack of farfetched heroes banner has disincentivized me from voting on characters as a way of getting them in the game.

Although...

Spoiler

If there's enough support for Melinus like there is now I'll throw my votes at him.

Also, did Merlinus's votes not get merged or is there a second Merlinus I'm not aware of?

6 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Honestly I might just abstain. The final results were no different from the midterms and the lack of farfetched heroes banner has disincentivized me from voting on characters as a way of getting them in the game.

Although...

Reveal hidden contents

If there's enough support for Melinus like there is now I'll throw my votes at him.

Also, did Merlinus's votes not get merged or is there a second Merlinus I'm not aware of?

Spoiler

Merlinus is split between FE6 and FE7. I'm pretty sure the same applies to every character who are in both games except Murdock as he isn't even an option under FE7 for some reason.

Edited by Tybrosion