Choose Your Legends Round 4 Official Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

Will you vote in CYL Round 4?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Where will your votes go?

• I'm not voting.
    • I'm (mostly) voting for a Three Houses character/s.
    • I'm (mostly) voting for a Heroes OC/s.
    • I'm voting for someone from an earlier game.

2 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

The entire results did. Here they are if you want to see them:

Reveal hidden contents

Ah, thanks!

I'm pretty happy with the results.

Spoiler

I'm pretty happy with Catherine getting placed in 126. That's higher then some popular FE characters. Hopefully that will show IS that they should put her in Heroes already haha.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I consider Forrest's placement enough of a win for me since I was fully expecting him to do bad with all the new characters.

1 hour ago, Tybrosion said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I can't stand the way the characters are numbered in the ranking. Characters with tied votes have the same ranking spot, which is perfectly fine, but then the next character after tied characters has the next consecutive number, which makes the whole ranking not reflect the real number of characters.

i.e. if two characters are tied at spot #14, the next character should be #16, not #15.

2 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

@Sunwoo

Hide contents

The Merlinus at 110th is actually the FE6 version apparently so Rath is in the top 5 missing FE7 characters.

Huh, I see. Well, I suppose that's technically better for me then.

3 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Is it really shocking that Edelgard did so well?  While she has her fans, remember that this is a gacha game, where female characters always are more popular than male characters due to waifu factor.

I’m pretty sure a lot of people who play Heroes don’t play console Fire Emblem, so they see Edelgard and think “that’s waifu material!” and vote for her. 

I think waifu factor was a deciding factor in Edelgard’s victory and the proof of that is the fact that Plumeria, a character with zero presence in the game did so well in the poll. Again, this is a gacha game, so it’s possible that a lot of people voted for Edelgard for waifu reasons and not because they like her as a character.

Or let's not reduce all female characters to "only popular bc waifus". What would make Edelgard particularly attractive to the Heroes only/waifu audience who presumably are only familiar with her Academy version in that game that isn't really notable or fanservicey in the slightest?

32 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

Or let's not reduce all female characters to "only popular bc waifus". What would make Edelgard particularly attractive to the Heroes only/waifu audience who presumably are only familiar with her Academy version in that game that isn't really notable or fanservicey in the slightest?

Revealing clothing isn't necessary to be considered a waifu so no fanservicey outfit isn't an issue. Scratches the itch of strong powerful ruthless woman which is really lacking in Heroes (or FE in general really since the only other one that comes to mind is Petrine) Lord status makes her an easy pick compared to other waifus and the version of her that's already in is a fantastic unit so that makes her even more enticing.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

4 hours ago, Florete said:

While there may be some accuracy to this in general, I don't think it holds up well in this context.

CYL 1 - Lyn and Ike (combined) score very close to each other.

CYL 2 - Hector and Celica score very close to each other, with Hector getting more. Ephraim also scores more than Veronica.

CYL 3 - Alm is #1 by a good margin.

When a brand new game comes out and all four winners come from that game, it seems very reductionist to say the female winner is just "waifu material."

Spoiler

I could be misremembering, but I recall there being a steep drop-off after the first few male winners while the female winners got more votes overall in past CYLs. I know that's the case here at least. In other words, people vote for a few select guys but the female votes are spread out among more women.

Of course I agree that just saying all women win because they're waifus is ridiculous, but hollow attraction definitely plays some part. On both sides to be fair, but the women's side is always worse off for it.

Spoiler

Just look at Plumeria and Loki before her. This is leaning into "controversial" territory though, so I'll stop there.

FWIW, Lif's an example of a guy being popular with zero characterisation in CYL3, which makes it doubly sad that he dropped so far after he got his development.

Edited by DefyingFates

By far the most disappointing thing about this

Spoiler

is that someone screwed up the coding AGAIN.

Will wait for proper formatting, and hope that there's an option to view combined votes.  Wanna know how well my green-haired squad did!

1 hour ago, Midnox said:
Spoiler

I wonder if all of them will come from the same Fodlam, and instead of a war, the three territories managed to keep peace

Spoiler

I hope they decide to do something interesting with the premise. There's no need for the "wishes of the many" when all the winning characters come from the same game. I like the hypothetical peace scenario.

Or, you know, Lysithea feeling super awkward about having fought for and against all of the house leaders.

betting right now on the brave alts

Spoiler
  • Edelgard - Red Sword w/ Seiros Sword as the main weapon. Another possibility a Red Tome with Hades to utilize her budding talent in Reason (Hades is the strongest spell she can learn)
  • Dimitri - Blue Tome w/ some sort of fancy/renamed Aura to have some sort of connection with Rodrigue. Another possibility is Blue / Colorless Bow Dimitri since Bow Knight Dimitri is relative popular in the game.
  • Claude - Green Axe on a Wyvern for his Almyran heritage (maybe Axe of Zoltan?). Second guess would be like, I guess Red Sword w/ Sword of Begalta (the sword he gets from Macuil in his paralogue) but that would mean Edelgard maybe wouldn't become a Red Sword since I doubt they'd overlap.
  • Lysithea - Colorless Staff w/ Thyrsus maybe? (though Thyrsus is more offensive than defensive in terms of usage in 3H), Green tome w/ Abraxas is another possibility (I'm pretty sure she'll get another alt with Dark Spikes or Hades). Doubt she'd get Thunderbrand since I have a feeling the KoS + Church Staff will be its own banner at some point to bring in Rhea, so Catherine will most likely show up then (though it didn't stop IS from gypping Gleipnir, Maltet, and Garm and giving them to Eirika/Ephraim/Hector alts). Since Axe of Ukonvasara has an effect with the Crest of Gloucester, it'd be kinda funny to see her show up as a Green Axe.

Final Answer

Red Sword Edelgard, Blue Bow Horseback Dimitri, Green Axe Wyvern Claude, Colorless Staff Lysithea

Spoiler

I really don't want a tome Dimitri. or a horseback dimitri. I know a lot of people are channelling the Rodrigue angle which is fair. but they could also have him channel Loog, or just be lie his daddy 

Spoiler

with two eyes instead of one

but especially because he's already a Cav, i'd really hope they don't double down on his horsebackness (it doesn't even really matter about his legendary self) - only because A: there is Reinhardt, and B: there are soo many mage cav options (heck. lance cav options!) - and very litte infantry lance options.  

38 minutes ago, daisy jane said:
  Hide contents

I really don't want a tome Dimitri. or a horseback dimitri. I know a lot of people are channelling the Rodrigue angle which is fair. but they could also have him channel Loog, or just be lie his daddy 

Hide contents

with two eyes instead of one

but especially because he's already a Cav, i'd really hope they don't double down on his horsebackness (it doesn't even really matter about his legendary self) - only because A: there is Reinhardt, and B: there are soo many mage cav options (heck. lance cav options!) - and very litte infantry lance options.  

Spoiler

Lance Cavs are definitely oversaturated (Sirius/Percival/Eliwood all kind of do the same thing) but the fact that Rein is the only prf blue tome cav worth using currently means Dimitri could carve out a unique niche easily. The sky is the limit for how they want to design CYL characters.

As far as Lance infantry goes, we're guaranteed to get that when Dimitri becomes a legendary unit (probably this year) so I'd much prefer his CYL alt gets something different.

Edited by NekoKnight

6 hours ago, Thane said:
  Hide contents

I hope they decide to do something interesting with the premise. There's no need for the "wishes of the many" when all the winning characters come from the same game. I like the hypothetical peace scenario.

Or, you know, Lysithea feeling super awkward about having fought for and against all of the house leaders.

Spoiler

Exactly. That got rather old, and considering the circumstances, less interesting than other possibilities, like the aforementioned Fodlam at peace and the three territories and leaders intact. Such scenario isn’t possible in-game, and seems IS isn’t planning to add a DLC with it

I mean, this mundane thing for is being such a “big ritual” for them makes sense with other CYLs. But this is the first, and possibly the last time all CYL winners are from the same game

Edited by Midnox

7 hours ago, eclipse said:

By far the most disappointing thing about this

Hide contents

is that someone screwed up the coding AGAIN.

Will wait for proper formatting, and hope that there's an option to view combined votes.  Wanna know how well my green-haired squad did!

I think those are already the combined votes? Like, there's only one Marth entry. Unless you mean viewing the components of the votes that were combined?

11 hours ago, Book Bro said:

I’m not saying they’re only popular because they are waifus. All I’m saying that “waifu factor” played a large role in Edelgard’s victory by the nature of this being a gacha game.

3 hours ago, Water Mage said:

I’m not saying they’re only popular because they are waifus. All I’m saying that “waifu factor” played a large role in Edelgard’s victory by the nature of this being a gacha game.

*Sigh* Well, unless you get every single Fire Emblem fan into some kind of concetration camp and tells them that the only way of escape is through telling which their favorite character, it's impossible to know how much "waifu culture" affected certain characters.

And come on, "Husbando" factor also exists; do you think Dimitri would be the most popular male character he wasn't a punished damaged boi with mental issues (I mean, do you remember pasta boy)?  Okay, maybe not the most noble thing to say, but whatever.

Edited by Troykv

4 minutes ago, Troykv said:

And come on, "Husbando" factor also exists; do you think Claude would be the most popular male character he wasn't a punished damaged boi with mental issues (I mean, do you remember pasta boy)?  Okay, maybe not the most noble thing to say, but whatever.

I agree that "husbando factor" is also a thing, but do you really think that in a gacha game's fanbase, even if it's FE, the female fans outnumber the male fans enough for "husbando factor" to be equal to "waifu factor"? Because the developers certainly don't think so, why else would the ratio of female-to-male characters be so skewed when considering that male characters outnumber female ones in FE overall?

8 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I agree that "husbando factor" is also a thing, but do you really think that in a gacha game's fanbase, even if it's FE, the female fans outnumber the male fans enough for "husbando factor" to be equal to "waifu factor"? Because the developers certainly don't think so, why else would the ratio of female-to-male characters be so skewed when considering that male characters outnumber female ones in FE overall?

Wait a minute, I just noticed I mix up Claude's and Dimitri's names hahahahah xD (Fixing).

And while I agree Gacha usually benefit women, that isn't always the case, there always some special case for some reason or another.

3 minutes ago, Troykv said:

Wait a minute, I just noticed I mix up Claude's and Dimitri's names hahahahah xD (Fixing).

And while I agree Gacha usually benefit women, that isn't always the case, there always some special case for some reason or another.

If you want my honest opinion, I think both waifu factor and husbando factor plays into FE Heroes, and likely from Awakening up to now. Possibly all the games that featured some type of self-insert placeholder for the player (so I'm including Blazing Sword in this) have more "waifu factor" than the others driving which characters are popular and why.

I'm not saying that waifuism and husbandoism was never present in the older games, because I'm not. I'm also not saying that people nowadays don't have a favorite character without that character being their "waifu" or "husbando". I was never into that crap even when I was a kid, and I know other people genuinely like the characters without wanting to bang them. But with the self-insert placeholders that we call avatars being a thing, and letting your avatar marry everyone, this has only encouraged people who are into that to do so more, and it feels like it's getting harder and harder to look at characters we like objectively. In a way, it feels like we have some "need" to prove that the characters we like most are "the best, better than the others" and in some extremes that they're flawless and did nothing wrong. Or that a character has to be physically attractive to be popular and sometimes that's all they need.

At the very least, there's a reason why people are crying about waifuism. And husbandoism but I do realize that people are crying about it less.