Choose Your Legends Round 4 Official Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

Will you vote in CYL Round 4?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Where will your votes go?

• I'm not voting.
    • I'm (mostly) voting for a Three Houses character/s.
    • I'm (mostly) voting for a Heroes OC/s.
    • I'm voting for someone from an earlier game.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, DefyingFates said:

Thanks!

It's crazy how few votes Academy Dimitri got...

I think it's absolutely hilarious~ The Official Art does him not a single favor so I'm hardly surprised he didn't even get 10K votes for it~

OFC, I think Silverserpent pointed out it's just easier to click the back button and vote for the War Arc but Dimitri specifically was never popular for his pre-TS look. Like I really like Claude Pre-TS and it looks like it was fairly popular, while both Edelgard looks are pretty well liked~

13 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Thanks!

It's crazy how few votes Academy Dimitri got...

I don't think its crazy. Out of the three lords Dimitri was the one with the most tepid response in the beginning. I recall a lot of people complaining about his ''noodle hair''. I think the war arc reveal was where a lot of people got won over. 

Comparing the two designs edgy Dimitri comes off a lot better with his sizable build. fur cape and eyepatch. In contrast student Dimitri looks like a Fodlandian Leo with weird hair. 

27 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I don't think its crazy. Out of the three lords Dimitri was the one with the most tepid response in the beginning. I recall a lot of people complaining about his ''noodle hair''. I think the war arc reveal was where a lot of people got won over. 

Comparing the two designs edgy Dimitri comes off a lot better with his sizable build. fur cape and eyepatch. In contrast student Dimitri looks like a Fodlandian Leo with weird hair. 

I know. I was fine with Academy Dimitri's design, but it was his Part 2 character development that won me over personally. Still, it was surprising to see how much his War Arc dwarfed his Academy self in votes xD

2 hours ago, Landmaster said:

Thanks Landy!

Adn yeah... Academy Dimitri still got a good amount the votes (enough to place him in the top 10 if he was a separated character).

What is funny is how War Phase Claude alone had more voted than Marth and his combined votes. The same goes to War Phase Lysithea having more votes than Eirika.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

7 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

The same goes to War Phase Lysithea having more votes than Eirika.

You really had to throw that in there, huh? 😛

But seriously, it's crazy how many votes the winners alone had. There are other threads talking about how the playerbase has decreased over the years, but it seems like the number of voters has shot up over these past two CYLs.

Edit: Speaking of CYLs plural, what are your dream rosters for CYL 5? Mine would be Marth and Lyon for the men and Eirika and Nino for the women. Highly unlikely, but I'm at least confident that Marth and Eirika will win next year. Ideally both in first place, though Eirika's chances depends on how many 3H banners and what manner of OCs we get in 2020...

Edited by DefyingFates

My prediction for CYL 5 is probably Marth and Seliph for men with F!Byleth and...IDK~ If I'm considering realistic options, I guess it depends on how popular the Ashen Wolves end up being and how much they pose as a threat. I like to think Marth and Seliph can fight off the guys (though Yuri seems to be popular just based on design. We'll see how that goes). Constance seems popular of the girls, but I'm not sure about Hapi. I assume Bernadetta will probably fall in support should she get into the game before next year~ The women's side will be interesting for sure, lots of potential between F!Byleth, Constance, Hapi, Eirika, and any 3H girls who don't get it before next year~ Maybe Anna, but I don't see it, personally~

13 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

But seriously, it's crazy how many votes the winners alone had. There are other threads talking about how the playerbase has decreased over the years, but it seems like the number of voters has shot up over these past two CYLs..

I think there's a genuine concern for botting affecting the votes this time, if not previous years too. It's known that Jorge was being botted by someone both last year and this year. And after testing last year they supposedly upped the voting this time and sure enough he ended up with a big surge of votes and high placing. If that's true, I wouldn't be too surprised if there were a few other people doing the same thing with other characters, which could contribute to why the vote totals got so high for some. Even last years' votes surpassed that of the original CYL, despite the playerbase decline. That or we got a lot more dedicated multi-device spammers as well...

13 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

You really had to throw that in there, huh? 😛

But seriously, it's crazy how many votes the winners alone had. There are other threads talking about how the playerbase has decreased over the years, but it seems like the number of voters has shot up over these past two CYLs.

Edit: Speaking of CYLs plural, what are your dream rosters for CYL 5? Mine would be Marth and Lyon for the men and Eirika and Nino for the women. Highly unlikely, but I'm at least confident that Marth and Eirika will win next year. Ideally both in first place, though Eirika's chances depends on how many 3H banners and what manner of OCs we get in 2020...

I'll be throwing my support behind Bernadetta again for CYL5. The other 3 slots can go to whoever as long as I have that. :)

If I could absolutely have my way, I'd throw Nino in along with Bernie, and have Seliph in for the guys. Not sure who I'd thrown in for the 2nd male slot but it wouldn't be Marth. No offense at all to Marth fans but I really just don't care for the guy. Personality-wise, he's boring and I don't have any obligation to him just because he's the original. Honestly, I wish that one of these days, Intelligent Systems would actually take a hint from their newer games and actually develop Marth beyong just being a good man. Maybe then I'd actually care about him.

As much is I do appreciate Dimitri being one of the winners, is a tad dull when the top 4 are all from the same game. Poor Marth he tries so hard just to fail time and time again. CYL5 if it will happen needs a bit of a rework to avoid the issues of botting. I'll be shocked to see the results to be packed with FE4 substitutes. 

3 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

CYL5 if it will happen needs a bit of a rework to avoid the issues of botting. I'll be shocked to see the results to be packed with FE4 substitutes.

Why do you think FE4 will sweep next time?

In terms of reworks though, I hope Three Houses' sweep encourages IS to introduce a limit on how many reps from a single game we'll see in the future. On one hand, I know it defeats the purpose of this being a popularity contest, but on the other it keeps things interesting if only one or two people per game (with one per gender) are allowed to win each year.

I know Jorge gets botted, but do we know if it's actually been happening for anyone else? And to you and everyone else: if you want to change how voting works, how would you do it?

Edited by DefyingFates

3 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

That was a joke. I needed a group of obscure characters that will suddenly be in the top 20 for odd reasons.

Fair enough.

Of course, knowing out luck we will get an FE4 remake this year and next year's winners will be Seliph, Sigurd, Julia and Deirdre or something...

Might have already said it once in this thread but I think the winners for CYL5 will be Marth and Chrom for men and F!Byleth and Eirika for women though that can change for a multitude of reasons. Marth and F!Byleth are the only two I am confident who will win next year. People are upset Marth haven't won CYL yet and most of his big competition are out of the way now except for Chrom and the Jugdral Lords. It also looks like Marth isn't getting any new alts this year (until IS proves me wrong) so that might help his chances for CYL even if it just a little bit. For F!Byleth since the House Lords all won this year I could see those voters moving on to her next year and even then she's really popular even if people like me don't like to admit it. I think her spot is secured even if she gets an alt this year.

If Bernadetta gets in this year (or any Three Houses character not F!Byleth for that matter) I can see her dropping out of top 5. Chrom and Eirika should get second place next year but I can easily see them getting new alts between now and before CYL4 starts and possibly mucking up people's decision to rally for them. It's possible for Chrom to get a Legendary and/or Duo alt and I can easily see Eirika getting a Duo alt with Seth/Tana/L'Arachel on a seasonal banner or the next Sacred Stones New Heroes banner. If Chrom gets an alt I could see Sigurd or Seliph sneaking their way into top 2 unless they also get Legendary/Seasonal alts this year. Book 5 OCs of both genders are also something to consider for CYL5.

So yeah, Marth/Chrom/F!Byleth/Eirika is pretty much my prediction though if you want my personal CYL5 wish the winners would be Marth/Chrom/Eirika/Anna (part of the reason I wanted Anna to win was to have a non Lord/major character win CYL for once but Lysithea already beat her to that).

20 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

and I can easily see Eirika getting a Duo alt with Seth/Tana/L'Arachel on a seasonal banner or the next Sacred Stones New Heroes banner.

That's my fear too. It'll be CYL2 all over again...

I hope she gets first place, but you're right that F!Byleth is worryingly popular and OCs are always going to be a threat. At least Marth and either Chrom or Seliph are a lock though!

Random question, but when did Seliph become more popular than Sigurd? I always thought Sigurd was significantly preferred (I'm biased, because I also think Sigurd is the notably better character) and I remember he finished well ahead of his son in CYL1 (I don't recall the other results since). Both have exactly one form in the game, so that can't be the reason.

4 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Random question, but when did Seliph become more popular than Sigurd? I always thought Sigurd was significantly preferred (I'm biased, because I also think Sigurd is the notably better character) and I remember he finished well ahead of his son in CYL1 (I don't recall the other results since). Both have exactly one form in the game, so that can't be the reason.

I was also thinking the same. Most FE fans consider Sigurd and Leif to be more interesting than Seliph. I'm guessing Seliph is far more deserving of legendary hero status than his father and Leif too due to being the true hero of Jugdral because he liberated the entire continent while Leif only partially liberated his country and Sigurd screwed things up. Also, Sigurd only has one version in FE4 unlike Seliph who gains a mount upon promotion, so for most people, Seliph is more deserving of a legendary hero alt than Sigurd. I do agree with this notion despite me  thinking Sigurd is far superior of a character. Finally, Sigurd will likely get a broken refine like Brave Ike to become top tier while Seliph has already received one which is really good in AR def but not that great in the player's hands. Although one can argue L!Seliph is an inevitability much like Sigurd getting a refine to refute this last point of mine. 

Wasn't Sigurd pretty busted as a unit in his own game though (before he, well, screwed things up as previously mentioned)? It's rather fitting for him to have that BST boost. lol

But even though I prefer Sigurd over Seliph myself, I do admit that Seliph did more to warrant being considered legendary. Though I still would not be surprised to see legendary Sigurd at some point since neither Gunnthra nor Hrid did much either. And I'm a Hrid fan.

Edited by Anacybele

41 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Sigurd also got an unfair arbitrary BST boost.

*And* a Prf Skill which makes him a pretty decent tank. I'd argue he's a much better unit than Seliph as a result, so the son may be getting more votes as a way to catch up to his father.

And as a variation of my last question: what do you predict will be CYL5's results, and how will you yourself be voting?

Feel free to mention who you think will be added over the course of 2020 and if that'll change your mind for either of the above questions.

Edited by DefyingFates

Right now, Seliph is the only lord whose only version is from before the CYL1 banner. Which could easily be solved with a legendary version like Leif, but with still no news on that, a Brave version is also pretty compelling.

I think at least 5 of my votes will be unchanging from now until the day FEH dies, whether it be next year or a decade from now. Palla, Oscar, Titania, Basilio, Duessel. This year I rounded it out with two Three Houses picks because of recency bias, but their position is less certain, especially if they get added to the game at some point. Excluding Three Houses I reckon Tethys and Massena (yes he's an irrelevant NPC but he looks awesome and is sensible). Might as well make it a top 10, let's see... add three red-headed fliers in Hinoka, Michalis and Cherche.

Looking at the CYL4 results, I'm not at all invested in any of the characters who finished in the 5th through to 30th spots, so if the winner comes from there, which it will barring a surprise new game, I'm not going to even try to influence the results. If I had to pick the highest four eligible candidates to be my winners, it'd be 31st placed Rhea, 32nd placed Ingrid, 37th placed Reinhardt, and 60th placed Seteth. Jeez that's slim pickings at the "top" end. Excluding Three Houses it'd be Reinhardt, Lilina, Awakening Tiki and Nils.

Obviously none of these scenarios will come even close to panning out, and we'll end up with four sword lords, all with varying shades of blue hair. Marth, (Seliph/Sigurd/Chrom), Eirika, and F Byleth. And people are complaining this year lacked variety, hah!