Choose Your Legends Round 4 Official Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

Will you vote in CYL Round 4?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Where will your votes go?

• I'm not voting.
    • I'm (mostly) voting for a Three Houses character/s.
    • I'm (mostly) voting for a Heroes OC/s.
    • I'm voting for someone from an earlier game.

As of now, I'll go all out for Sylvain next year if he's still not in the game yet. Otherwise, I'll still throw him a couple votes and Frederick a couple votes and Elincia a couple votes.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoiler

The outcome of this CYL doesn't come as a surprise, but I can't help, but be semi dissapointed.

I like both Edelgard and Dimitri being first. No complaints there.

Lysithea is not a character I vote for or care that much about. I don't really get it, but I don't have a problem with it either.

Claude is nice and likeable. Not a bad third pick.

However the results being all three houses is a bit boring. I had hoped Marth would have overtaken Claude because being third place for so long kinda stings. 

I'm really happy to see Ashe rose! Hope the good boi gets in this year, and Dedue, too~ Blue Lions ranked pretty well overall~ Sad Sothis fell a bit but still pretty nice~ 

Elise and Nowi ranked higher than I expected, woo!

5 hours ago, Strullemia said:

Oh wow I just saw who got the 12th spot on male side.

Hide contents

It’s Jorge with 6.728 votes xD

Spoiler

That Jorge bot is who Marth really needs to worry about next year~

Spoiler

So Awakening Anna ended in 9th place for females and 15th place overall. Not bad considering competition from Three Houses and the fact that every other top 10 female from previous years besides Eirika drop to top 20. Funny enough Awakening Anna ended in the same overall ranking (15th) that Heroes Anna ended in last year. I'm really hoping she shows up on the next Awakening New Heroes banner this year.

As for the other Anna variants there is another one at rank 55 but I have no idea if she is from Fates, Heroes or Three Houses. Guess I will find out when the official results comes out later which is hopefully tonight though seeing two Annas in top 100 makes me happy.

As for the winners, I am fine with them. Yeah, Three Houses dominated and I personally would have liked it if Marth beat Claude out of second place but people have been wishing for more Three Houses banners in Heroes and them taking most of the top 10 spots in CYL is kind of the result of it. CYL5 will have more variety as it looks like it will be Marth's and Chrom's chance to win for males and females at first glance looks to be F!Byleth and Eirika though Anna and a Book 5 OC could be serious contenders as well but females always seem to be a close rank between their top 5 characters.

I'm still happy Dimitri took first for males and Lysithea kept her second place spot on the female side. I really didn't want to see Bernadetta boot Lysithea out. Though now I will have to decide between picking Brave Dimitri or Brave Lysithea as my free pick when August comes around as I like both of them.

2 hours ago, Landmaster said:
  Hide contents

Very happy with the results, I was worried Dimitri would fall, so it's nice to see he held on to first. I'm happy Lysithea also remained 2nd, I just prefer her to Bernie~

Next year, I'm going all in for F!Byleth~

Spoiler

Dimitri needs his wife. Let us begin. 

2 hours ago, Lau said:
  Hide contents

God I hope not. I don't want a Brave Marth out of pity, or as compensation, and this is coming from someone who has voted for him four years on the trot now. I want him to win as fairly as possible. Besides, if IS did that, Marth would get more crap than he already does, and that's the last thing I want.

Spoiler

Why on earth would we even need a "compensation" brave Marth. like this idea is so ... bizarre. he lost fair and square. he'll probably win eventually, and then we'll have Brave Marth why are people advocating to whine to IS to get something undeserved? I'm seeing this all over reddit too. 

4 hours ago, DefyingFates said:
Spoiler

Despite the argument earlier, the number of people upset at the 3H sweep is surprising. I really think if enough people voice their concerns IS will at least throw a Brave Marth onto that month's Legendary Banner as compensation or something, so that's definitely worth looking into if you - not just the people I mentioned - are bugged out by this. Just a thought.

I was busy all day, so only now i had time to read some comments, so...

Spoiler

Why they would do that?

Marth lost, so he deserves nothing. Try harder next time.

They kinda did something like this in 2018, that Legendary Marth was released in the same month as CYL 2 that he should had won. This time? We don't need any type for Brave Alt compensation, and it goes to all characters below the 2nd place.

IntSys doesn't have to do any compensation thing for something that the fans voted. It's not IntSys fault.

Too sad that 3H had a lot of popular characters, but what we can do is accept it and move on.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

Spoiler

What placement did Nils receive last time? He's 78 right now which seems fantastic for someone that's doesn't have recency bias on their side. Maybe he'll finally get in this year. Just please have him as the 5* exclusive banner seller of the bunch and not some 3* inject or GHB/TT reward. Tired of guys I like ending up like shit even if it makes them "more accessible" or whatnot.

As for the top 4... I'll just take my Claude leave.

1 hour ago, omegaxis1 said:
  Hide contents

I hope this puts some of the belief that Edelgard is not popular or is not as popular as Dimitri to rest. I expect plenty to realize this fact. 

Spoiler

I don't think anyone argues that she's unpopular. Only that she's divisive. Also the Heroes fanbase doesn't seem like good judge of her popularity anyway. You gotta take into consideration that many people who play Heroes and voted probably haven't played 3H or even a single FE game. Also everyone has 7 votes that they can choose to split anyway they want. It could mean that Edelgard fans are more devoted and dedicated their entire ballot to her while other fans split their votes between different characters.

I wouldn't have minded three 3H winners, but all four feels like too much to me. Especially with one being a character who's probably just a few months away from getting her regular version and most likely wouldn't have won without it. I like Lysithea, but this feels so wasteful.

Next year, I might go for Seliph if I think he has a shot, especially if he still doesn't get an alt in the meantime. Hopefully it won't come to that, but who knows. Otherwise, I'll probably keep going for missing FE5 characters.

1 hour ago, NSSKG151 said:
Spoiler

CYL5 will have more variety as it looks like it will be Marth's and Chrom's chance to win for males and females at first glance looks to be F!Byleth and Eirika though Anna and a Book 5 OC could be serious contenders as well but females always seem to be a close rank between their top 5 characters.

Spoiler

That's the best outcome. Obviously I hope Eirika comes first, but I'll take what I can get. Rhea may be up there too, especially if she isn't released in the meantime, but we'll see. This poll suggests she isn't as popular as she first appeared, which is a shame since I like her. Maybe she's too old for waifu culture.

The Book 5 OC is what worries me. Hopefully Book 5 takes a page out of Book 3's design handbook and gives us less conventionally attractive designs so we don't get anyone catapulted to the top on looks alone.

And yes, I know Lif got seventh last year. I didn't like that either but at least it was because he looked cool and edgy, not because an army of guys fell over themselves calling him their new waifu.

Edit: Speaking of Lif, it's sad that he did worse after getting his characterisation than he did when all we had of him was a sentence or two. I know it's part of the Three Houses effect, but still.

28 minutes ago, Othin said:
Spoiler

I wouldn't have minded three 3H winners, but all four feels like too much to me. Especially with one being a character who's probably just a few months away from getting her regular version and most likely wouldn't have won without it. I like Lysithea, but this feels so wasteful.

Spoiler

This is the boat I'm in too. Despite what people here may think, I actually like all four winners. It's just having all four together that feels...off to me.

Besides, Lysithea's going to be a nuke no matter how she gets into the game, so as you say her being here really does feel wasteful.

Edited by DefyingFates

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:
  Hide contents

Well he does have a bit of a hatedom for being a horrible father to Annette. While I don't entirely agree he's irredeemable as a character I certainly won't disagree that he's a bit of a scumbag to a very lovable character. So I guess its to be expected. 

Yes, but having a hatedom doesn't mean you can't have fans. I think it's more a result of him being an older man. Look at how poorly Tauroneo did in pretty much every single CYL poll. 

4 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

Reveal hidden contents

Why on earth would we even need a "compensation" brave Marth. like this idea is so ... bizarre. he lost fair and square. he'll probably win eventually, and then we'll have Brave Marth why are people advocating to whine to IS to get something undeserved? I'm seeing this all over reddit too. 

3 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Reveal hidden contents

Why they would do that?

Marth lost, so he deserves nothing. Try harder next time.

They kinda did something like this in 2018, that Legendary Marth was released in the same month as CYL 2 that he should had won. This time? We don't need any type for Brave Alt compensation, and it goes to all characters below the 2nd place.

IntSys doesn't have to do any compensation thing for something that the fans voted. It's not IntSys fault.

Too sad that 3H had a lot of popular characters, but what we can do is accept it and move on.

It is the same concern that people had about Voting Gauntlet where winners curb stomp the losers. I am not a fan of the Voting Gauntlet changes because it directly negatively affects my gameplay in the form of reduced Feather income as I am not guaranteed to get Feathers for winning by joining the biggest team.

In contrast, there is nothing negative about expanding the CYL winners. Players get more choices to choose from when it comes time to pick their free unit, and players who have their favorite characters not in the game yet can get them sooner. And if they split the Focus into two, then that is even better as players can get an extra free summon, which is a huge help to free players.

6 minutes ago, XRay said:

And if they split the Focus into two, then that is even better as players can get an extra free summon, which is a huge help to free players.

That's one of the reasons that I never expect something like this.

Edit: Oh, I thought you meant the free choice we all get. Having more normal free summons is always nice.

But still, I still believe 4 heroes is enough.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

15 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:
  Reveal hidden contents

What placement did Nils receive last time? He's 78 right now which seems fantastic for someone that's doesn't have recency bias on their side. Maybe he'll finally get in this year. Just please have him as the 5* exclusive banner seller of the bunch and not some 3* inject or GHB/TT reward. Tired of guys I like ending up like shit even if it makes them "more accessible" or whatnot.

As for the top 4... I'll just take my Claude leave.

Reveal hidden contents

I don't think anyone argues that she's unpopular. Only that she's divisive. Also the Heroes fanbase doesn't seem like good judge of her popularity anyway. You gotta take into consideration that many people who play Heroes and voted probably haven't played 3H or even a single FE game. Also everyone has 7 votes that they can choose to split anyway they want. It could mean that Edelgard fans are more devoted and dedicated their entire ballot to her while other fans split their votes between different characters.

He scored 85 last time.

Just now, Diovani Bressan said:

Yeah, there are a lot of things that would be great for us that aren't things they'd want to offer. We do get some of those, but only so many of them, and I think there are much more worthwhile uses for them.

Spoiler

Honestly to me - there is just a lot of "well contact IS if you don't like the results" "maybe if we all state our complaints about having all the winners from the same game, we'll get some sort of compensation, or changes will be made." like no. like truthfully. This is a contest. vote your favourite player. the people votes. the favourite people won - any sort of advocating for "changes" just comes off as sour grapes to me. and it's very much  - to be blunt - a lack of losing gracefully. 

I get that this could be boring for some people - but there are a tonne of people who would kill to have a Brave Genealogy Banner or a Brave Fates Banner or a Brave Echoes banner, because that's their favourite game. For me, personally - if I didn't like it i'd take my free unit, scalp'em and not bother with the banner that year - which is generally my rule of thumb to anyone who doesn't like whatever banner is active. it's just another way to save your orbs 

And looking at the voting statistics between this year and last year - while Marth had a good gain - Eirika's was negligible. And even if there were some 3H units that were in the game already - I don't think (truly) this automtically means Eirika takes over Lysithea's spot (because El's already in the game and she kicked major butt). i would say Byleth would win (or something wonky coulda happen). which is why next year would be very intriguing. 

15 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

It does not hurt to send feedback to ask for it. Giving free players and new players an extra free summon is not going to affect revenue much if at all. Paying players are going to spend as usual; it is not like one free summon is going to significantly increase my odds to the point where I stop spending. Having more favorite characters in the game also gives paying players more of a reason to spend.

The only downside I can think of is with the developers, as the increase in cost might outpace the increase in revenue, but I am not sure how likely that is. For players, there is honestly no downside in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, daisy jane said:
  Hide contents

Honestly to me - there is just a lot of "well contact IS if you don't like the results" "maybe if we all state our complaints about having all the winners from the same game, we'll get some sort of compensation, or changes will be made." like no. like truthfully. This is a contest. vote your favourite player. the people votes. the favourite people won - any sort of advocating for "changes" just comes off as sour grapes to me. and it's very much  - to be blunt - a lack of losing gracefully. 

In this case though, I do not think it is sour grapes. People are not asking to replace winners with losers. There is literally no downside for players if the developers expanded the list of winners. It is not like in Voting Gauntlet where the changes in rules does affect Feather income.

Edited by XRay

2 minutes ago, XRay said:

The only downside I can think of is with the developers, as the increase in cost might outpace the increase in revenue, but I am not sure how likely that is. For players, there is honestly no downside in my opinion.

We usually get 5-6 Heroes per update anyway (including the freebie) so it may not be much added work either. Of course, we're all just talking hypotheticals here.

4 minutes ago, daisy jane said:
Spoiler

I get that this could be boring for some people - but there are a tonne of people who would kill to have a Brave Genealogy Banner or a Brave Fates Banner or a Brave Echoes banner, because that's their favourite game. For me, personally - if I didn't like it i'd take my free unit, scalp'em and not bother with the banner that year - which is generally my rule of thumb to anyone who doesn't like whatever banner is active. it's just another way to save your orbs

Spoiler

The sticking point with people, as far as I see it, is that Brave Banners have always covered a mix of games. I know the four winners won because people voted for them, but still. Add to that the complaint about recency bias and I get why some people are up in arms about it. While I personally would like to see more variety, I've just adopted a "what happens, happens" stance, though that won't stop me thinking about how an extra winner or two could work.

At the end of the day I guess it just comes down to opinions, huh? Everyone's entitled to one 🙂

Spoiler

There is not any rule that all of the winners have to come from different games. If they expanded the winners to 3rd place, it's still a 3H Banner with just Marth thrown in there, so the people salty about 3H winning would still be salty about it. It wouldn't change anything.

I'm really glad to see everyone using spoilers 

Just a reminder to everyone that if you see unmarked spoilers use the system or @ me 

Once the official list goes up feel free to not use spoiler tags

and

please leave the salt on the table

I'm tempted to say I wish they did top 4 overall winners rather than top 2 male and top 2 female. But that would have meant Brave Tharja rather than Brave Roy in CYL1, and that's just silly.

Can’t say I’m surprised but I’m still disappointed. 

Spoiler

No Brave Bernie. How disappointing. I’ll just grab the free Dimitri and leave.

What an expected disappointment. 

Kinda salty? Yes. Can’t help it. It’s basically the “getting Marth’d” treatment which is why I’m not pleased.

Looking at Chrom’s placement there...that was too close to losing to Seliph. Wow. Seliph fans did quite well this time. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

1 minute ago, NegativeExponents- said:
  Hide contents

I mean...

Spoiler

She is divisive, but there's always been the case of how people either think pitifully that she's not popular, and others try and insist that Edelgard is not anywhere near popular as the others, such as Dimitri. The Dream Poll results always make it seem like Dimitri is the most beloved character because he always topped the charts.

But here, though he did top the male section, he did NOT beat Edelgard. It goes to show that Edelgard is more popular or just as popular.

Also, though certainly not "perfect", it's better than what the Dream poll results give. Because it is a wider fanbase and you only get 7 votes total, but you can miss some votes if you forget to vote. I've actually seen plenty of people have Dimitri as their pick for all 7 days. For me, I picked Marth 5 times and Edelgard only 2 times. 

Some try to say "waifu" but if you actually look at it, Edelgard's the only one that ever won popular vote from the female side since Lyn, and Lyn only won that because Ike had split votes back then. Meaning Edelgard won the popular vote without any handicap.

Spoiler

Honestly, I thought I'd be saltier that Marth came third again, hahah. I guess it helps that I really love the Three Houses lords, Dimitri and Claude being my second and third favourite lords especially.

In terms of free pick, i'm definitely choosing Dimitri. I'm normally quite lucky with the Brave Heroes (I have them all except Hector and Camilla), so I'll prioritise Claude, then Edie, then Lysithea.

I've just noticed that Chrom and male Robin have been separated. This is an absolute travesty.