Eirika Character Analysis

DefyingFates

What do you think of Eirika?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Eirika and did this analysis change your opinion of her?

• She's awesome!
    • I didn't like her before but have changed my mind.
    • I still don't like her very much.

This is a breakdown of Eirika's character and growth over the course of Fire Emblem 8. Much thanks to @Icelerate for co-writing this (he wrote the green parts) and @Yexin and @BergelomeuSantos for providing screenshots. This will cover the entirety of the story, followed by Eirika's Endings and Supports. Also, I got permission from @eclipse to split this up into multiple posts if I was having problems and SF gets really laggy when making long posts, so I hope you allow these consecutive ones!

Edit: I can't edit the other posts so I've moved Act 3 to this one (alongside making changes to Chapters 14-16 and 21). There's also a poll!

PART 1: ACT 1

Hide contents

Prologue: The Fall of Renais

When Castle Renais gets attacked, Eirika wants to stay with her father which shows us that she's really selfless, if not dangerously so. So it stands to reason one of Eirika's flaws is that she's selfless to a fault. 

Hide contents

Eirika:
“Father, you can’t stay! You mustn’t! If you remain behind, then so shall I!”

Fado:
“Go now, Seth! Ride! Take her to safety!”

(Seth leaves)

Eirika:
“Father!”

Seth:
“Forgive me, your highness.”

(Seth and Eirika leave, a bunch of enemy soldiers come up to the King)

For her own good, Seth convinces Eirika that her brother and father are probably alive. This shows us that Eirika is an optimistic person and rather naive. 

Hide contents

Seth:
“Princess Eirika! This way! I can see no more of Grado’s men. If we’ve made it this far, we’ve surely earned a moment’s rest. Please forgive my grabbing you so… brusquely earlier.”

Eirika:
“Don’t be foolish, Seth. If it weren’t for you, I would never have made it out of the castle. You are the reason I’m still alive. You have my gratitude. And who ever that man was, he was clearly after me… It’s my fault that you received such a grave wound. Allow me to treat it, I–“

Seth:
“Your highness, I can’t allow an injury like this to be an obstacle. We have more important matters to attend to. We must press on to Frelia. We must fulfill His Majesty’s wishes.”

Eirika:
“… I wonder how my father fares alone in the castle. Do you think he’s safe? And what of my brother on the Grado front? We’ve heard nothing from him for days.”

Seth:
“King Fado and Prince Ephraim are both valiant and brave men. I doubt even the might of the Grado Empire can hold them in check. More important to me, Your Highness, is that you look to your own safety. How sad the two of them would be if something were to happen to you. We must reach Frelia to ensure the day of your happy reunion.”

Eirika:
“Yes, of course. You’re right. Until I’m reunited with my father and brother, I must not despair. Come, Seth. Let us go.”

Contrary to popular opinion, Eirika isn't dumb. She is pretty observant as she immediately realized Seth was hiding the full extent of his wounds and is also quite cunning as she managed to taunt the bandit to go for her instead of the injured Seth.

Hide contents

Seth:
“Urgh…”

Eirika:
“Seth! His wounds must be worse than he let on…”

O’Neill:
“Time to die!”

Eirika:
“Stop! Face me, if you have the steel!”

After the battle, Eirika realizes to what extent war is horrible. It's common knowledge war is bad but once you experience it yourself, you realize it is even worse than you imagine which is shown by Eirika herself. It also shows just how gentle she is considering how she feels sad at the deaths of a bunch of lowlife bandits. Despite this, Eirika shows her resolve and determination to move forward and suppress her anguish. 

Hide contents

Seth:
“Princess, are you injured?”

Eirika:
“What? Oh, no… I’m fine, Seth.”

Seth:
“But you look so pale…”

Eirika:
“I’m fine… Fine. …This is war, isn’t it? It’s not at all like the games I used to play with my brother or Lyon. I never thought– I didn’t know it would be this…savage. Are words useless? Is strength all that matters? It’s so sad… Why would the Grado Empire do this? To what end would they start a war?”

Seth:
“Princess…”

Eirika:
“…Don’t worry, Seth. I won’t give in to sorrow . Let’s get moving. I’m not broken, and I won’t stop until I see Renais restored. I won’t stop until I’m reunited with my father and brother.”

Chapter 1: Escape!

After reaching Frelia, Eirika and Seth encounter Grado troops. Seth suggest to leave the place behind but Eirika disagrees. This shows us that Eirika's compassion extends to strangers from different countries. Furthermore, we see that Eirika sees Grado's atrocities in Renais which compelled her to take action in Frelia. Also, it shows us the contrast between the more pragmatic Seth and the more idealistic Eirika. This reminds me of the relationship between Sothe and Micaiah in part 1.

Hide contents

Eirika:
“Seth, look…”

Seth:
“I see it. It seems like Grado’s army has already reached Frelia. Princess, this place is perilous. We should bypass Mulan altogether and head straight to the castle.”

Eirika:
“But we can’t just ignore this… You were there when Renais was invaded… You saw what I saw. You saw how the people suffered at the hands of Grado’s soldiers. Homes were destroyed, possessions stolen, women kidnapped… Anyone who resisted was executed without question, without hesitation.”

Seth:
“…”

Eirika:
“Please, Seth. I can’t allow that to happen here. I don’t want to see any more people harmed by Grado’s atrocities.”

Seth:
“All right, Princess. I understand. Perhaps we can retake Mulan. But, Princess, you must act with caution. Your people need you, too.”

Eirika:
“Of course, Seth. Come on! Let’s go!”

Eirika is in denial that her dad died and naturally becomes sad but once she hears about Ephraim still being alive, she regains her hope and steels herself to continue her mission to avoid losing her last family member. 

Hide contents

Eirika:
“Thank you. I was able to escape the castle before Renais fell. But I’m not sure if my father…”

Hayden:
“Yes. I… have received word of your father.”

Eirika:
“Your Highness? Please tell me. If my father well?”

Hayden:
“…My friend King Fado…did not survive the fall of Renais Castle.”

Eirika:
“…No, it cannot be…”

Seth:
“……”

Hayden:
“Rest assured, Grado will be punished for its cowardly act. This is Frelia’s promise. Eirika, please stay here and rest. I cannot imagine how exhausted you must be.”

Eirika:
“……”

Seth:
“King Hayden. You know of Prince Ephraim’s disappearance, do you not?”

Hayden:
“Yes, we hear the prince and his men hound Grado at every turn. It’s said that he’s led his forces into the empire itself. Reports suggest he’s crossed the border and now fights in Renvall.”

Eirika:
“My brother… He fights on? Even now?”

Hayden:
“Yes. My pegasus knights bought this information at a great price. Even though Renais has fallen, he charges into the enemy’s heart. He is truly Fado’s son… What a valiant youth. I wish I knew whether he remains unharmed, but I do not.”

Eirika:
“King Hayden, I thank you for your offer, but I cannot stay. I intend to ride to my brother’s side with reinforcements.”

King Hayden thinks Eirika should stay in the kitchen XD but Eirika shows her diplomatic skills in convincing the king that she should be allowed to go out and rescue her brother. In this conversation, she shows how great she is with words as she manages to be very polite while asserting her position with determination and vigor. 

Hide contents

Hayden:
“I cannot allow it. I know how you feel, but this plan is suicide. I would be betraying Fado’s memory if I allowed any harm to befall you. Stay here. Rest and mourn. Leave this war to the warriors.”

Eirika:
“I know you mean well, Your Majesty. However, I have lost my father, and my twin brother is in peril. My brother, he is a part of me… I cannot rest here in peace while he risks his life.”

Hayden:
“No. Renais has no more army. Grado’s forces decimated it. I wish Frelia could provide you with support, with soldiers, but… My son, Innes, is on his way to meet the empire’s forces. We cannot spare a single brigade. Your own retinue of knights cannot possibly face Grado alone. Are you so determined to go?”

Eirika:
“Yes. …With apologies.”

Hayden:
“…As resolute as your father, eh? What am I to do in the face of such foolhardy determination? Vanessa.”

Tana expresses concern for Eirika as well as sadness about Grado's sudden invasion but Eirika reassures her to accept the reality and let her go. This shows us that Eirika isn't going to let her sorrows and danger to stop her. She truly is a badass action girl!

Hide contents

Tana:
“Eirika, you don’t really intend to go through with this, do you? I can’t guess how you must feel, but its’ just too dangerous. What would happen if you were captured by Grado’s men?”

Eirika:
“Thank you for your concern, Tana. But I have no choice. Don’t you see, Tana? I have to go.”

Tana:
“Eirika… Oh, why is this happening? What’s gone wrong with the world?”

Eirika:
“Tana…”

Tana:
“Why would Grado invade? Emperor Vigarde is a man of peace. His people adore him. And you and Ephraim are friends with Prince Lyon, are you not? What could be behind this madness? Why is this happening…”

Eirika:
“I have no answers for you, Tana. I don’t want to believe it, but the reality is that we are at war. If I do nothing, I may lose my brother as well as my father. This is why I have to fight. It’s the only answer I have.”

Chapter 2: The Protected

Eirika shows us why she's a lord by highlighting her leadership ability as she's able to clearly communicate the plan which demonstrates a knowledge of the geography of her country which goes to show she's been educated well. Furthermore, she demonstrates her knowledge even further by showing us how she's also well aware of how fliers are weak to archers which also goes to show that she's cautious and doesn't rashly give orders. 

Hide contents

Eirika:
“Seth has mapped out a route for us. We’ll travel south of Renais and pass through Serafew into Grado territory.”

Moulder:
“Hmm… That would seem a sensible plan. Assuming, of course, that we can avoid any run-ins with Grado soldiers…”

Vanessa:
“Princess Eirika, may I have your leave to scout ahead? From the sky, I’ll have a better chance of spotting any nearby troops.”

Moulder:
“We’re yours to command, Your Highness. Will you give your permission?”

Eirika:
“Yes, of course. Keep an eye out for enemy bowmen though, Vanessa.”

Eirika is a quick thinker considering she thought of a new name mid-sentence. Bare in mind she doesn't know that Selena was from Grado before she thought of this name so it shows she's a cautious individual. 

Hide contents

Woman:
“This is terrible…What are we going to do? The Bandits are so close. If we can’t find some way to protect ourselves, the village is doomed.”

Selena:
“Perhaps…”

Eirika:
“People, listen to me! You must close the village gates immediately. Hurry, before the bandits arrive!”

Selena:
“Who are you? You aren’t from one of the neighboring towns, are you. And your weapons give you away… You’re no peasant.”

Eirika:
“I am Er… My name is Erina. I’m a mercenary.”

Selena:
“A mercenary named Erina, is it? There’s more to you than that, I feel. But don’t worry–it’s none of my affair. I haven’t told you who I am yet, have I? I am Selena, a general in Grado’s army.”

Despite Eirika not liking violence, she learns to fight from her brother with the intention of not wanting to burden her brother and eventually protect him instead. Also Ephraim notes that Eirika is quite stubborn so there was no way he could refuse to teach Eirika. Also, we see that Eirika can be rather blunt at the end of the conversation where she called him out for suggesting she might complain. So it stands to reason that Eirika puts on a polite facade for court purposes while she shows her true personality, her sass, to Ephraim which shows she is pretty socially intelligent. 

Hide contents

Ephraim:
“Tell me, though:”
why do you want me to teach you to fight? I thought you didn’t care for violence…

Eirika:
“I do not like uncivilized behavior. I think one can solve one’s problems without fighting. And yet…”

Ephraim:
“And yet what?”

Eirika:
“I’ve always relied on you to protect me, Brother. I would rather not be such a burden to you in the future. So, I thought maybe I should learn to protect myself…”

Ephraim:
“I’m your brother. Brothers are supposed to protect their sisters. It’s nothing for you to worry about. It’s no cause for concern.”

Eirika:
“Yes, but… I am your sister. Sisters are supposed to worry about their brothers. So I would like to learn something of swordplay, if only a little. And maybe, someday, I can protect you in your time of need… So please, Ephraim.”

Ephraim:
“All right, all right. How could I say no? Honestly, once you get an idea into your head, that’s it. I might as well give in. It’s agreed. I’ll teach you, but won’t hold back because you’re my sister. And I want no complaining once we’ve started, Eirika.”

Eirika:
“Complain? Me? Never!”

While Eirika was thinking of Ephraim, Colm purposely bumps into her as an excuse to get close enough to steal her bracelet while she is distracted but once Seth asks what happened to it, she immediately comes to a realization that Colm bumping into her was a ruse to steal it which once again highlights that her naivety is over exaggerated by the fan base. 

Hide contents

Eirika:
“……”

(Colm bumps into Eirika)

Colm:
“Oops! Beg your pardon.”

Eirika:
“Hey!”

(Colm leaves, Seth comes)

Seth:
“Princess, are you all right?”

Eirika:
“Y-yes… Someone bumped into me is all. I was jarred.”

Seth:
“Hm? Your Highness, where is your bracelet?”

Eirika:
“My bracelet? It’s…gone. Where could it be? Did that man–“

Chapter 3: The Bandits of Borgo

Neimi pleads Eirika for help and as you'd expect, Eirika is moved by her and decides to help her out. Her reasoning isn't entirely out of empathy but also logical as the bandits are in the same location as the bracelet.

Hide contents

Eirika:
“If the thief we’re after has gone to the bandits?lair as well… Well, it seems as though we share a common cause with Neimi. She is a citizen of Renais, after all. And isn’t it our duty to defend our countrymen? I’m only sad that we weren’t here to protect her friends and neighbors… So, yes, I feel we must help her.”

It turns out Colm was the thief but despite stealing the bracelet, Eirika forgives him and allows him to accompany her which goes to show Eirika is extremely forgiving and merciful unlike Seth who preferred not to. Too bad we don't see the scene where Eirika forgives him but it is implied as both him and Neimi join your party. 

Hide contents

Colm:
“…Hey, wait! Let us go with you. You can’t just leave us here.”

Seth:
“Pardon?”

Colm:
“Neimi and I… We’ve got no home to return to. No matter where we go, there’s just gonna be more fighting. You’re mercenaries, right? Well, then take us with you. I’m a handy guy to have around. I know I can help you out.”

Seth:
“I would prefer not, but I’ll agree with Eirika’s decision. Our duty is a grave one however. We’ve no time to waste shepherding you.”

Eirika is smart enough to deduce that the bracelet has importance even beyond its symbolism of being proof that King Fado entrusted the future of Renais to them. 

Hide contents

Seth:
“Lady Eirika, you must take care never to lose that bracelet. It is the proof that King Fado entrusted the future of Renais to you, his children.”

Eirika:
“Seth…What is it you’re not telling me?”

Seth:
“…I apologize, Your Highness. When the times comes, I will tell you what I know. Until then, I…”

Chapter 4: Ancient Horrors

Eirika's journey forces her to fight against monsters which she remembered from her studies but didn't believe they were more than myths. It goes to show Eirika does her studies well but is skeptical of what she learns. I guess she'd do well in academics unlike her brother (FEH even emphasises this by making her proficient in magic and having Cecilia shut down Ephraim's request to do the same.)

Hide contents

Eirika:
“Fiends? You’re not talking about the same fiends that served the ancient Demon King? That can’t be right… They’re nothing but legends and fairy tales…”

Nevertheless, not even scary monsters are able to force Eirika to stop her journey thus showing the true extent of her determination to save her brother. 

Hide contents

Seth:
“Princess Eirika, perhaps it would be wise to return to Frelia and regroup. Pressing forward seems foolish in light of recent events. We cannot face both Grado’s forces and more of those terrible things.”

Eirika:
“Seth, I follow your point, and nothing would please me more then running for safety. But what of my brother? He and his men are still trapped in the same situation we are. I know full well that I may be leading us into even greater danger, but… Please try to understand.”

Chapter 6: Victims of War

Novala asks Eirika to hand over her bracelet in exchange for not killing her soldiers but despite being a peace loving princess, she is strong willed and won't give it to him. Remember she doesn't even know how important it is right now so it'd actually be very easy for her to justify giving it away. So Eirika isn't as easily deceived as some people make her out to be. 

Hide contents

Novala:
“You’re as beautiful as I’d heard… And you’re even wearing your bracelet. I suppose we should begin there. Would you surrender your lovely little trinket?”

Seth:
“Ah!”

Eirika:
“My bracelet… Why do you want it?”

Novala:
“His Majesty desires it. That’s reason enough. Once I present it to him, he will make me a general, and I will be famous. Come, hand it over. Do it quickly, and I’ll leave you alive.”

Seth:
“Princess Eirika, you will do no such thing.”

Eirika:
“Of course not.”

Novala then taunts Eirika and tries to manipulate her to feel despair by attempting to deceive her when it comes to Ephraim's alleged defeat. Eirika shows her strong will and doesn't get demoralized by such news. 

Hide contents

Novala:
“Obedience will save you pain. You came all this way to aid Prince Ephraim, have you not? A fool’s errand. Ephraim fell before the empire’s might. As we speak he wastes away in a cell in Renvall, meekly awaiting his execution.”

Eirika:
“My brother?! You lie! A pitiful worm like you could never defeat my brother!”

Novala:
“Bah. Protest all you like. It does not change the truth. Ephraim has lost, and it was Grado that defeated him!”

Eirika:
“……”

Novala:
“You’re not going to acquiesce, are you? Very well. Bring me the child.”

But Novala has a trump card up his sleeve and uses a little girl as a captive who is also crying for help which finally causes Eirika to cave in. So while Eirika does have a strong will and has common sense, her empathetic nature finally overcame her sense of reason for the time being. But Eirika doesn't know the full specifics of the bracelet yet so I wouldn't blame her.  

Hide contents

(A girl comes on screen)

Girl:
“H-help me…”

Eirika:
“Ah!”

Novala:
“Look familiar? She’s a citizen of your precious Renais. Now give me the bracelet! Do it, or the child dies!”

Eirika:
“No, please… You win. But I must have your word the child will suffer no harm.”

Seth:
“Princess, wait. That bracelet–“

Eirika:
“It’s not worth a child’s life. Forgive me, Seth.”

Novala:
“Yes…there can be no mistaking it! Next, your weapons. Take them off and hand them over.”

Seth:
“No. Surrendering our weapons would be tantamount to suicide. You demand too much of us.”

Novala decides to feed the civilians to the spiders and at first Eirika started despairing and questioning how one can steep so low. But then Eirika became firm all of a sudden shocking Novala. Eirika realizes she can't hold pity or remorse for Grado anymore at this point. In summary, we see Eirika grow more ruthless in this chapter. 

Hide contents

Novala:
“I see years of peace and idleness have not dulled the wits of all Renais’s knights. Well then, my hostage has no more use to me, does she? Ah, such a waste. Wait a moment… I’ve just had a delicious idea. Have you heard of the giant spiders prowling about this region? They’d appreciate a nice, hot meal, wouldn’t you agree?”

Eirika:
“You can’t–“

Girl:
“Nooo!”

(Girl leaves)

Novala:
“Ha ha! This will be a delight to watch! These fools will curse the day they were born to Renais!”

Eirika:
“Why…why would you… How can you do such a thing?”

Novala:
“This is WAR! There are no rules here! In war, you can do anything! Anything! You curs of Renais have lost! Your idiotic ravings mean nothing…”

Eirika:
“Enough. Hold your tongue.”

Novala:
“Wha…what?!”

Eirika:
“I… We, the people of Renais, have long honored our allegiance with the Grado Empire. And you invaded without warning. You ravaged our land. You killed my father… Even then, I told myself, I must not hate Grado or her people. If I gave in to my hate, the bond between our lands would be lost forever. I refused to hate. Instead, I lived for the day our nations would know peace again. But… If this is Grado’s true face… If you could extinguish Renais without pity, without remorse… If this is the case, then there is no room in my heart for forgiveness.”

Novala:
“Impudent girl! Do you expect your words to save your countrymen? They will not. Your beloved people will all die, as will you.”

(Novala warps to the far side of the map with the girl and her mother)

Novala:
“Ha ha ha! If you must curse someone, curse your dear princess.”

Girl:
“Help, someone!”

Novala:
“Cry! Scream! HAHAHAHAHA!”

Chapter 8: It's a Trap!

The chapter starts with Orson leading Eirika inside to find Ephraim. Seth starts questioning him but Orson manages to answer without showing much, if any suspicious behavior. He also manages to concoct a sincere apology to Eirika.

Hide contents

(Eirika is in the castle with Orson and Seth)

Orson:
“This way, Princess Eirika. Prince Ephraim is being kept in a cell back here.”

Eirika:
“Very well, let’s go.”

Seth:
“…Sir Orson. How long ago were you taken prisoner?”

Orson:
“Some two weeks past. Prince Ephraim and I were forced to surrender. We’ve been held captive here in this dungeon since that black day.”

Seth:
“Did you gain any news from your captors during that time?”

Orson:
“Unfortunately, no. Not a word… Our daily meal was brought to us by servants from the neighboring village. They were instructed not to speak to us, and we heard nothing of the war. Tell me, Seth. How fares Renais?”

Seth:
“…Renais has fallen. King Fado… The king is dead.”

Orson:
“Dead… My King… My apologies, Princess Eirika. I have served you poorly….”

Eirika's response to his apology demonstrates how she's a forward thinker who is focused on the future instead of worry about the past. I love her positive attitude. 

Hide contents

Eirika:
“You’re not to blame, Sir Orson. We must look to the future, not find fault in the past. The Grado army pursues me in hopes of acquiring my bracelet. My brother wears this bracelet’s twin, and he is in danger, too.”

Orson tries to get Eirika's bracelet by pointing out how she's in danger if she holds it which is certainly a good point but despite this, Eirika is in doubt. This goes to show while Eirika is definitely a trusting and naive person, she still has common sense and is smart enough to think things through instead of just accept Orson's advice even before Seth's denouement.

Hide contents

Orson:
“Bracelet? Ah, I remember… Prince Ephraim still wears the bracelet. And Grado is after them? If that’s the case, Princess… Perhaps you should entrust the bracelets to someone else.”

Eirika:
“Perhaps, but…”

Orson:
“Give them to me or Seth. Let someone you trust guard them. If the empire desires you bracelet, you are in danger as long as you hold it. For your own safety, Your Highness, please. What say you? We must not allow the Sacred Stone of Renais to be taken.”

Eirika:
“Everything you say is true and sensible, yet…”

But Seth was able to figure out that Orson was a traitor and Orson suggested that if she was alone, he'd have trusted her. This goes to show Seth is more smarter and observant than her. However, I've seen people use this as an argument to suggest that this is proof that Eirika is dumb but this is fallacious. Orson was smart enough to act sincerely and he also managed to fool Kyle, Forde and Ephraim. Unless you want to argue they are even dumber due to being with Orson for longer, then please don't use this argument as proof that she is dumb. Also, that was Orson's assumption that she'd hand over her bracelet and not necessarily something she was going to do. Furthermore, note that Eirika was in a rush to get to her brother as he was her only family left and I think it is safe to say she has a bigger attachment to her brother than Seth which allows Seth to look more objectively at the situation. 

Hide contents

Orson:
“Seth, there is some misunderstanding here. I…”

Seth:
“And why… Why do you conceal a blade within your doublet?”

Eirika:
“…What?”

Orson:
“…Very well. You haven’t changed a bit, Seth. If only Eirika had been alone. You, however, simply will not be deceived.”

Moreover, according to Ephraim, Orson had been a loyal knight for a long time and a supernatural arrangement between him and Grado is difficult to make sense of, let alone predict. 

Hide contents

Seth:
“Orson. Why did you betray Renais?”

Orson:
“My fondest with will be granted… To spend the rest of my days in the embrace of my loving wife once more…”

Eirika:
“What are you saying?”

(Some enemies and Tirado come up to Orson, Seth, and Eirika)

Tirado:
“That’s enough. You’ve done well, Orson. I’ll take over now. You may return to your beloved wife.”

Hide contents

Seth:
“Not at all. We’re happy you’re safe. But tell me, Prince, do you know of Orson’s treachery against you and all of Renais?”

Ephraim:
“Yes, though I learned of it all too late, after we’d been trapped at Renvall. I still find it difficult to believe that after all his years of service to Renais… I am morally responsible for his plight.”

I've seen people criticize this chapter because Eirika had to get saved by Ephraim, which apparently shows her being incompetent, but I don't think its a problem because it's not like she is completely helpless. Ephraim would not have been able to save her if it wasn't for her ability to fight back and merge with his forces. They both fought their way out of Renvall as the gameplay of this chapter makes clear.

Interlude: A New Journey

While Eirika is very responsible at court, she's isn't too professional with her friends as she kept them waiting. Also, instead of apologizing like she usually does, she is quite sassy with them which goes to show that her courtly diplomatic personality is a facade which she unmasks in the presence of her friends. 

Hide contents

(Flashback)

1 1/2 years ago

Eirika:
“Ephraim! Lyon! Where are you two?”

Lyon (off-screen):
“We’re over here, Eirika. You’d better be quick. Ephraim says he’s tired of waiting.”

Eirika:
“Oh, please, I’m sure you could wait a few moments longer…”

This opening flashback also shows that Eirika isn't "prim and proper" like standard Princesses and that she can be a bit of a klutz, while also reaffirming how educated she is compared to her brother. As an aside, this moment shows us Eirika is more religious than him too, which could be a nod to their inspirations (Alm and Celica).

Hide contents

Eirika:
“Thank you, Lyon. You, unlike my dear brother, are a true gentleman. I was up far too late thinking about my prayer to the temple flame last night. And I’m afraid I… I overslept…”

Ephraim:
“Your prayer? What are you babbling about?”

Lyon:
“Come now, you know that the flame has been burning since the time of darkness ended. You must know the story that the flame will answer the prayers of any pilgrim!

And then we get some more sass, you go girl! 

Hide contents

Ephraim:
“Really? I didn’t know that.”

Eirika:
“Oh, Ephraim… Father MacGregor is going to scold you for neglecting your studies so.”

Ephraim:
“…Don’t even joke about that. So tell us, what have you decided to pray for, Eirika?”

Contrary to popular belief, this scene also shows us that Eirika is the more rational of the twins and Ephraim is the more fanciful and careless. We also see that she has a sharp tongue. You really don't want to make this sweet girl angry.

Hide contents

Ephraim:
“A great king? I honestly have no idea what that means. Eirika should succeed the throne. I would be happy simply taking my lance and traveling the land as a mercenary.”

Eirika:
“Ephraim, that is nothing but foolish, irresponsible romanticism! Do you realize how much your words would fill Father’s heart with grief?”

The second half of this chapter is devoted to a war council in Frelia Castle. In it, Eirika gives herself a mission to aid the war effort and already comes up with a plan of action without any prompting, all due to her determination to save Renais. She is also utterly confident of her success when King Hayden ends the meeting.

Hide contents

Eirika:
“And I will head for Rausten.”

Ephraim:
“Eirika? You know I can’t let you put yourself in such danger.”

Eirika:
“Rest easy, dear brother. I will journey to Rausten by ship across the North Sea. There will be no danger. And I have made a vow. I will fight as you have until the day Renais is liberated.”

[...]

Eirika:
“I have no doubts. I’ll succeed, I swear it. Come, it is time to go!”

At the end of this Chapter, if you select Ephraim's path, you learn that Eirika personally begged each member of her retinue to aid him, which shows how humble she is (almost all of her party at this point are middle to low-class peasants, even including a thief) and again how determined she is to get her way - in this case being to ensure her brother's safety.

Hide contents

Seth:
“The princess informs me that she will be accompanied by a Frelian escort. She tells me she does not need a large retinue on such a small ship.”

Ephraim:
“I understand, but we must be prepared for anything. I will be fine, Seth. Please go and attend Eirika.”

Seth:
“Lord Ephraim, this is Lady Eirika’s wish. She implored us to lend our blades to you on the front lines… She spoke to each of us individually. She knelt before us and beseeched us to go. Her sincerity, her concern… We could not help but be moved by her plea.”

Ephraim:
“Oh, Eirika… Very well. You will all come with me. But steel yourselves. This will not be an easy journey. I want only volunteers who are unafraid of meeting death.”

This is in stark contrast to Eirika's version of events, where she tries to argue the point and has to be calmed down by Kyle and Forde.

Hide contents

Eirika:
“Yes. Kyle, Forde, I’m traveling to Rausten. I ask that you two serve my brother well.”

Forde:
“Actually, there’s been a slight change of plans.”

Kyle:
“We’re going with you, Your Highness.”

Eirika:
“What? But…”

Kyle:
“Prince Ephraim rides with Frelia’s finest at his back.”

Forde:
“And this was a personal order from the prince himself. He said,”
“I don’t need you loafing around here. Go and keep Eirika safe.?Since when is battling all of Grado loafing about? Honestly!

Eirika:
“You’re right! My brother’s mission is far more dangerous than mine. I will go and speak with him…”

Kyle:
“Princess Eirika. Prince Ephraim said he’s not concerned for his own safety. These are the words our prince gave us, and we believe he means them.”

Forde:
“That’s the truth of it. There’s no cause for worry, Princess Eirika. We can all attest to the prince’s tenacity. No matter how close death comes, the Pale Horse will not catch him.”

Eirika:
“…Kyle, Forde… I understand. Thank you for your service and bravery. You are my brother’s most trusted and most valiant companions. I would be honored to have you ride at my side.”

PART 2: ACT 2

Hide contents

Chapter 9: Distant Blade

Eirika already has a cover story in mind by the time they arrive at Port Kiris and plainly tells Seth that she isn't naive enough to be distracted by her surroundings, a far cry from when Selena caught her off guard earlier. It goes to show she has become more worldly and prepared compared to at the start of her journey.

Hide contents

Eirika:
“It smells of the tides… This is a busy place, isn’t it?”

Seth:
“It’s a trade center. Peoples of all nations pass through here. Do not become so enthralled with the sights and sounds that you forget your mission.”

Eirika:
“I won’t. I’m a mercenary by the name of Erina. I’m traveling to Rausten to receive a commission.”

Seth:
“Let us look for a ship then, Erina. The docks are this way.”

During the fighting, she first tries to get Amelia to safety and takes responsibility for the fighting. She also has the awareness to realise that Grado's commanders would demonise her to rally their troops, a far cry from the beginning where Eirika was shocked to learn of Grado's misdeeds.

Hide contents

Eirika:
“Who are you?”

Amelia:
“What? What?”

Eirika:
“Are you from around here? You should find someplace to hide. These men are after me. It’s not safe.”

Amelia:
“But… But I’m…”

Eirika:
“Yes?”

Amelia:
“I’m a Grado soldier. I’m here to stop the princess of Renais…”

Eirika:
“Huh? You’re with Grado?”

Amelia:
“And you’re Princess Eirika? But the commander said Eirika’s a cruel and merciless fiend…”

Eirika:
“What? No, I’m… …I don’t know what Grado’s officers have been telling you, but… Our two countries are at war, so I suppose they can say what they want.”

At the end of the battle, Eirika is the first to realise that Carcino turning traitor means Innes is at risk. When a messenger arrives to inform them that he's trapped, she immediately cuts her off so that she can rescue him ASAP showing her capacity for quick-thinking. At this point, Eirika is no longer reliant on Seth when it comes to strategy and tactics; she's come a long way!

Hide contents

Seth:
“We were careless. We should have seen this coming. Carcino’s a young and ambitious nation ruled by power-hungry merchants. And Grado grows more powerful with every passing day. So it’s no surprise Carcino’s merchant lords would throw in with Grado now.”

Eirika:
“Wait! Prince Innes… Prince Innes was to pass through Carcino on his way to Jehanna… If Carcino has betrayed us, then he ran headlong into enemy territory…”

(Frelian messenger flies up on her pegasus)

Messenger:
“Princess Eirika! I bring dire tidings!”

Eirika:
“I know you… You were a messenger riding with Prince Innes.”

Messenger:
“Yes, and I have news of him. Prince Innes is in danger! Carcino’s merchant army struck and cut through half our men. The prince is trapped in a siege. He has no means of escape, and–“

Eirika:
“No more! I understand. Return to Frelia and deliver your message!”

Messenger:
“What of Prince Innes?”

Eirika:
“Leave him to us. The prince’s troubles should burden you no more. We will see him to safety.”

Chapter 10: Revolt at Carcino

Eirika demonstrates her ability to read battlefields (even faster than Seth can explain them) and has hardened her heart since the prologue, shown by her blunt speech to him. She also only refers to Innes as "Prince" or "Prince Innes" during battle but speaks informally of him outside of it, showing she's able to compartmentalise her feelings when she has to.

Hide contents

Eirika:
“Prince Innes!”

Seth:
“Princess Eirika, the prince is surrounded by the mercenary armies of Carcino. He looks vastly outnumbered. I doubt he can hold out much longer.”

Eirika:
“I can see that. Let’s hurry!”

She's blunt with Innes as well, and her harshness doubly shines through when referring to the Carcinians. However, a bit of snark slips through when Innes asks her to join him.

Hide contents

Eirika:
“We’ve come to aid you. You must be exhausted. Please fall back and rest. We’ll take care of these dogs.

Innes:
“I cannot allow that. I will not run and hide while a woman protects me… We will continue the fight. You can join us.”

Eirika:
If that’s how you want it. Let’s go then.

At the end of the Chapter, Eirika is the first to understand that not all of Carcino is against them.

Hide contents

Eirika:
“Who are you?”

Klimt:
“Oh, where are my manners? I am a member of Carcino’s Council of Elders. My name is Klimt.”

Eirika:
“A council member?”

Innes:
“So you’re one of the traitors who ordered–“

Klimt:
“P-please, please! I have no intention of opposing you or quarreling with you. I, too, have been marked for death by Pablo…”

Eirika:
“What is this all about?”

Klimt:
“It’s a shameful tale… Carcino is a nation divided. As you know, Carcino has no king but is ruled by a council. But now the council has broken apart into factions mired in discord…”

Eirika:
“Factions… You’re saying that the whole of Carcino has not betrayed Frelia?

She is also the only one willing to hear out Ewan, which turns out to have been the correct choice, and makes the final call about following him.

Hide contents

Seth:
“Princess Eirika, Prince Innes. I think we should follow the advice we’ve been given and return to Frelia. Continuing on through Carcino like this is too great a risk to your safety.”

Innes:
“The peril is self-evident. However, I have to reach Jehanna, and the only way is through Carcino. If I don’t hurry, nations will fall, one after another, to Grado’s hunger.”

Eirika:
“Innes is right. And the road to Rausten leads me through both Carcino and Jehanna. However, pressing on will only invite more mercenary attacks.”

(Ewan shows up)

Ewan:
“Hey, I’ve got an answer. I know a way that leads over the mountains straight to Jehanna! Want me to guide you?”

Eirika:
“…And who might you be?”

(Tethys shows up)

Tethys:
Ewan! Shush! You know better than to interrupt people when they’re talking. I’m so sorry. Please let me take my brother out of the way. Come on, Ewan. Let’s go.”

Eirika:
No, no–wait, please. Do you really know a route through the mountains?

Ewan:
“That’s what I said. At the top of that mountain, there’s a village named Caer Pelyn. That’s where my teacher lives. I’m sure he’ll lead you through if you ask him nicely.”

Innes:
“What is your teacher’s name?”

Ewan:
“My teacher? His name is Saleh.”

Innes:
“Saleh… I’ve heard that name on the lips of Frelia’s spy network lately. He’s a powerful wielder of magic who has been fighting bandits and monsters. The spies mentioned something about a Caer Pelyn, if I remember.”

Eirika:
“What do you think?”

Innes:
“Hm. If my spies are accurate, this Saleh is someone we can trust.”

Eirika:
Very well, Ewan. Will you take us to meet your teacher?

Chapter 11: Creeping Darkness

Eirika shows her wisdom when it comes to dealing with young children and criticizes Innes for not being more considerate. Eirika is often criticized of being dumb due to being too kind but I don't see people criticizing Innes of being dumb due to being too mean. Why the double standards?

Hide contents

Eirika:
“Slow down, Ewan. Let’s stick together.”

Innes:
“…This fog’s getting thick. I don’t expect any more surprise attacks, but that doesn’t mean we–“

Ewan:
“Quick worrying, mister! You’re gonna get left behind.”

Innes:
“…Don’t speak to me, boy. I don’t tolerate insolence.”

Eirika:
“Innes, he’s only a child. There’s no reason to be so rude. He is helping us after all.”

Ewan:
“That’s right. Without me, you’d never get where you’re going. So come on already!”

After the battle in this Chapter, Eirika is tactful enough to understand that L'Arachel is to be trusted and even tells Seth to calm down twice in the space of their conversation. This goes to show Eirika's trusting nature isn't necessarily naive and can be the correct decision. It also shows that she is no longer reliant on Seth's advice and can function on her own unlike in the first few chapters of the game.

Hide contents

Eirika:
“Thank you, L’Arachel.”

L’Arachel:
“Please, speak nothing of it. It is heaven’s dictate that I come here to cleanse this charming place of monsters. What’s important is– Oh my! I just realized I have not yet had the honor of your name.”

Eirika:
“Oh, you’re right. How strange… We’ve met so often now that I had assumed you already… Please forgive my lack of manners. My name is Eirika.”

Seth:
Milady…

Eirika:
“It’s all right, Seth. She’s clearly not our enemy.

L’Arachel:
“Eirika… Aha! So you must be Princess Eirika of Renais! It is simply an honor to meet you. And how strange that we should meet again in this place. You must be lost as well. This continent is so confusing.”

Eirika:
“Um, yes. Actually, we’re not lost at all. You see…”

(Screen blacks out and comes back)

L’Arachel:
“Is that so! Well, clearly, I must be allowed to accompany you.”

Eirika:
“You want to travel with us? I appreciate your offer, but our journey is far too perilous. I do not wish to pull you into this madness.”

L’Arachel:
“No, no, no. There can be no doubt that we were sent here to aid you. It is all part of the grand design. I, L’Arachel, shall play my role and fulfill my divine duties. This I swear!”

Seth:
Are you sure this is wise, Princess?

Eirika:
Don’t worry, Seth.

Eirika is very respectful towards Saleh once they meet depsite being a Princess and this being their first proper encounter. She is polite when asking for his help and asks again to make sure he's truly okay with being their guide.

Hide contents

Eirika:
“Y-you… We’ve met before, haven’t we? You were looking for someone…”

Saleh:
“…Oh, yes. And now we meet again.”

Ewan:
“These people say they want to go through Caer Pelyn. I could guide them myself, but I thought it might be better if you went, too. That’s why I brought them here. What do you say? Will you guide them?”

Saleh:
“……”

Eirika:
“Would you, please?”

Saleh:
“…Very well. I’m heading there now. If you need to go to Caer Pelyn, you’re free to follow me.”

Eirika:
“You don’t mind?”

As with the start of the chapter, she is gentle towards Ewan compared to Innes' brusqueness, which comes through in how both show their concern for him.

Hide contents

Ewan:
“It’s settled then. I’ll go on ahead and let the elder know we’re coming. See? Even when there’s no fighting to be done, I’m still useful!”

(Ewan runs off)

Eirika:
“No, wait! …He’s gone. I wonder if he’ll be all right.”

Innes:
“Idiotic boy. I understand his need to be helpful, but…”

Glen corners Eirika at the end of the Chapter, though Innes appears to back her up after their initial exchange. This moment shows us why she's a great diplomat. She starts off being polite and courteous to Glen and rebukes Innes' harshness which would drive him away. She is also clear that she doesn't want to fight him which would be a good way to dissuade him from fighting her. However, she stands her ground and refuses to be passive, instead threatening Glen instead. This ability to strive for peace while also bearing her fangs shows her leadership qualities; her way with words and her strong spirit that Glen even praises before he leaves, having taken their words to heart. Eirika remains firm to the very end of their conversation.

Hide contents

Innes:
“…This is ridiculous. Believe what you want. Could one of the legendary Imperial Three honestly be as stupid as this?”

Glen:
“…What do you mean?”

Innes:
“Carcino betrayed Frelia and set a pack of mercenary dogs to kill me. And you paint Eirika a rebel instigator? It’s an absurd farce. Your emperor commits horrors, and you believe Eirika is a criminal?”

Glen:
“…What are you saying?”

Innes:
“You truly are blind, aren’t you? You’re one of the Imperial Three, and yet you can’t see your emperor’s plan?”

Eirika:
That’s enough, Innes. There’s no need to provoke him. General Glen, we’ve told you what we know to be true, what we’ve seen firsthand. We don’t want to fight you… But if you push us, we will drive you back to Grado with your tail between your legs.

Glen:
“…I see. You…are more observant than you know. I am ignorant of the emperor’s designs. General Duessel and I both questioned the wisdom of this war. And if you really are innocent of the crimes attributed to you… Why would His Majesty lie to us? I must know the answer.”

Eirika:
“So, you…believe us?”

Glen:
“The Princess Eirika I met long ago was kind and merciful in spirit. You’ve faced relentless hardship, and yet that selfsame spirit remains true. …Let’s put our fight aside for now. I will learn the truth. Then I will once again perform the duties of my office. If you have lied to me today, I will hound you to the very grave itself.”

Eirika:
Very well…

Chapter 12: Village of Silence

The trip on the mountains exhausts Eirika more than anyone else, probably because she's also the one in command and has lived a more luxurious life due to being a princess. Despite this however, she continues onward despite Seth insisting they rest. This goes to show her immense resolve even compared to her loyal knight and Innes. 

Hide contents

(Eirika’s group is running down a mountain path. Eirika’s going a bit slower then everyone else)

Eirika:
“…Hh…hh…”

Seth:
“Perhaps we should rest, milady. Master Saleh, is it much farther?”

Saleh:
“We’re close. It’s only half a day ahead.”

Seth:
“I would ask for a moment’s rest before continuing. We are all exhausted. We can go no farther today.”

Eirika:
“No, Seth. I’ll be fine. We must not be delayed by my weakness.”

Innes:
“Whew… Hah… I didn’t realize we’d be climbing so high.”

(Eirika appears to hop up and down)

Ewan can be recruited in this Chapter and there are three people he has unique dialogue with for doing so: his sister Tethys, his teacher Saleh and Eirika. Despite knowing him the least out of the three, she easily treats him the kindest.

Hide contents

Tethys' version:

Ewan:
“Oh, Sister!”

Tethys:
“Ewan! Are you all right?”

Ewan:
“Yeah. I tried to fight those monsters. And you know what? I killed four of ’em! With my magic! That’s pretty good, huh?”

Tethys:
What am I going to do with you? Anyway, it’s not safe here. Come with me, Ewan.”

Ewan:
“…… You-you don’t believe me… You watch and see. I’ll show you how far I’ve come!

Saleh's version:

Saleh:
“Ewan… You’re safe.”

Ewan:
“Oh, Teacher! It’s you! You probably had to fight a ton of creatures to get here! You’re the best! I hope I can study with you forever.”

Saleh:
“I’ve told you before… My mission is my life. If you wish to learn magic, you’d be better served by another.”

Ewan:
“No way. I wanna be just like you. Why would I go study somewhere else? Wait… You’ve gotta go out on a mission again, don’t you! Take me with you! I’ve practiced a lot. I can already use all the magic you taught me!”

Saleh:
…… Well, you seem quite adamant. All right. You may accompany me. I think being with me might be safer than remaining on your own.”

Ewan:
“Yahoo!”

Eirika's version:

Ewan:
“Ah, hello!”

Eirika:
“Ewan! How wonderful. So you’re safe, are you?

:Ewan:
“Yep. I took care of a whole mess of those things. More of ‘em might show up at any time, so I’ll just follow you to the village. That’s all right, isn’t it?”

Eirika:
“I guess so… It’s probably safer than leaving you here by yourself. Let’s stick together, Ewan.

Ewan:
“Wahoo!”

We see Eirika's humility again at the end of the Chapter, where of all the newcomers to Caer Pelyn she shows the most respect to the village elder, even salvaging Innes' rude request in the process.

Hide contents

Grandmother:
“Saleh? Is that you, Saleh? Tell me, is the Great Dragon well?”

Saleh:
“I’m sorry, Elder. I searched to the west, but I found nothing.”

Grandmother:
“Is that so… Hm? Who’s that with you?”

Innes:
I am Innes, prince of Frelia. The circumstances of our journey have led us here. We would like to pass through.

Eirika:
Please.

Grandmother:
“Hmmm… We of Caer Pelyn have turned away from the world outside. The Great Dragon alone holds all our honor and esteem. In this place, princes and paupers are equals. Do you have a problem with that?”

Innes:
…No. I understand.”

Grandmother:
“Hm… Well then, be welcomed as guests in our homes. I see some of you are injured. You should use this rock moss. We have little beyond what we need, but we will prepare food and bedding. You can rest as long as you like.”

Innes:
“We’ve no wish to trouble you. We’d just as soon pass straight through.”

Grandmother:
“Don’t let your pride drive you to foolishness. That girl there looks like she’s ready to collapse at any moment. She’s ill from the height of the mountain. Saleh, prepare some tea for the lass.”

Eirika:
Thank you, Elder…

Grandmother:
“Call me Grandmother, child. That is what the villagers call me.”

We also see her inquisitive side in how eager she is to learn more about Magvel's history (something we see more of in her supports with Saleh), firing off rapid questions as soon as Grandmother begins her tale.

Hide contents

Eirika:
“Uh… Grandmother, may I ask you a question? This Great Dragon…”

Grandmother:
“Ah, the inquisitiveness of youth. Come, lass, listen to my words. The Great Dragon is…a blessing, one that watches over all mankind. Why, in days long past, when the Demon King appeared…”

Eirika:
Demon King? Are you speaking of the legend of the Sacred Stones? The hero Grado used the power of the five Sacred Stones to defeat and seal away–

She's also humble enough to apologise on behalf of all humanity for forgetting the contributions of the Great Dragon (Morva) during the first war against the Demon King and for calling the Great Dragon (Myrrh in this case) a Manakete.

Hide contents

Grandmother:
“No, no, that’s not right at all. Ah, how quickly did mankind forget its debt to the Great Dragon. To hear the story now, one would think humans alone brought about victory. That is a gross mistelling of the tale. Only through the Great Dragon’s strength could the Demon King be sealed away!”

Eirika:
“The Great Dragon and the Demon King…”

Grandmother:
“Mankind may have forgotten its debt, but the Great Dragon never forgets. It watches over the bones of the Demon King in Darkling Woods. It keeps the Demon King’s dark brood from swarming the world of men. The Great Dragon’s vigilance alone has kept us safe from their blind rage.”

Eirika:
“Is that so? I’m… I’m sorry, I never knew…

Grandmother:
“Hmph. You don’t need to know everything, but you should remember that.”

Eirika:
“Yet, Grandmother, we encountered those creatures on the way here. And they have begun to appear in the land we live in as well. What does this mean?”

Grandmother:
“Ah… You have seen the effects of the omen that has appeared in the south. There is an energy there that has fouled the air and darkened the sky. The Great Dragon left Darkling Woods and went south to investigate. We of the village wished to protect the Great Dragon, so I sent my grandson, Saleh, as long as well. But they became embroiled in battle, and the Great Dragon disappeared. Since that time, there’s been no sign of the Great Dragon either here or abroad. We grew worried and directed Saleh to look for any trace of the Great Dragon. I am worried that the source of that foul energy may be responsible.”

Eirika:
“A foul energy… From the south? Myrrh said something similar to this, too. Is the Great Dragon you speak of…one of the Manakete?

Grandmother:
Manakete?!? How dare you speak so of the Great Dragon!

Eirika:
I-I’m sorry.

Grandmother:
“But if you’ve seen the noble Myrrh, perhaps I can proceed more quickly. You see, our Great Dragon took the form of Mistress Myrrh in her travels. And you tell me that you have seen the Great Dragon yourself, lass?”

By the end of the Chapter, Eirika's still the only one who calls the elder by her preferred name (Grandmother), something even Saleh doesn't do. We also see how grateful she is, something she conveys with much more sincerity than Innes. In return, Eirika's the only one Grandmother confides in and asks to keep Saleh safe.

Hide contents

Innes:
“We are in your debt, Matron.”

Grandmother:
“Not at all. All of our guidance comes from the Great Dragon. Saleh.”

Saleh:
“Yes, I know. The road to Jehanna lies here.”

Eirika:
Grandmother, thank you so much for everything.”

Grandmother:
“I know you’ll help the Great Dragon, but please look after Saleh as well. He’s not very personable, but he’s the only grandchild I have.

Chapter 13: Hamill Canyon

Valter respects Eirika's abilities now, a far cry from the beginning of the game when he didn't even talk to her directly. Since Valter did not develop in any meaningful way, it stands to reason that this is all on Eirika growing much stronger than before. This is obvious considering how she is constantly leveling up and getting stats but Sacred Stones goes one step further by acknowledging her growth as a fighter in the story as well as a form of Gameplay and Story Integration.

In the prologue:

Hide contents
Valter:

“You there, with the girl. Tell me, would that be the wayward princess of Renais? Well, this must be my lucky day. You’re a dead man. The wench goes with me.”

Now:

Hide contents

Valter:
“Gone already? I’ve sent a gift your way, Eirika, but I trust you can handle it. You’re my girl after all. I need you to be strong for me… Heh heh… ha ha ha ha ha!”

Eirika's conversation with L'Arachel shows us that she is capable of strategising, demonstrated by how she talks about breaking through Grado lines and merging with the army of Jehanna. Basically, Eirika wants to sandwich Grado's army (between her's and Jehanna's) and plow through them.

Hide contents

L’Arachel:
“Ah, Eirika. Is it time to go already?”

Eirika:
“L’Arachel. We’re going to break through the Grado lines and join the army of Jehanna. You should keep to the rear where it’s safe…”

But why not just besiege them after surrounding them instead of breaking through and risking more casualties? Eirika was earlier told that Pablo's mercenary company wanted to merge with Grado's forces, so that plan would get her own army besieged instead. So she demonstrates her intellect by coming up with a better, more optimal plan.

Hide contents

Innes:
“Yes, what word do you bring of Frelia? Speak!”

Messenger:
“Yes, Your Highness! Frelia has invaded Carcino and engaged the traitor Pablo’s mercenary army. With aid from the elder Klimt, we are crushing the foe where we find them. Pablo’s faction is retreating ever southward, toward Jehanna…”

Innes:
“Towards Jehanna? They must be planning to join with the Grado forces there.”

She's also the first to look past L'Arachel's posturing and realise there's more to her than meets the eye.

Hide contents

Eirika:
“L’Arachel. We’re going to break through the Grado lines and join the army of Jehanna. You should keep to the rear where it’s safe…”

L’Arachel:
“No, I will stay with you. Confronting evil boldly is the sworn duty of any ally of justice. And it may be that Grado’s goal is the Stone of Jehanna… I cannot stand by and let it be destroyed.”

Eirika:
“L’Arachel? Where did you come by such information?”

L’Arachel:
“Hm? That…uh, well…the…wind whispered to me in the night.”

Eirika:
“The wind? Whispered to you?”

L’Arachel:
“Yes, that’s right. …And according to that gentle breeze, there are knights riding this way from Rausten even as we speak. If we can but hold out until they arrive, the battle will surely be ours. Come, Eirika. Let us be on our way.”

(L’Arachel leaves)

Eirika:
“W-wait a moment. L’Arachel? Who are you?”

Not that Aias has never been defeated up until this point, as we learn in his pre-battle banter with Caellach, though even here they acknowledge that Eirika's not to be trifled with.

Hide contents

Aias:
“Mm. Everything’s in place. This Princess Eirika supposedly defeated General Glen. I wonder… If it’s true, then she’s a foe to be reckoned with, and no doubt. Still, there’s no reason to worry. I can best her. I know it.”

Caellach:
“You’ll take her, I’ve no fear. We fought as mercenaries together, and I know what you’re capable of. I could search the continent over and not find a man to match your skills.”

Aias:
“I’m honored to hear you say that. But I’ve no interest in the titles and trapping of Grado’s Imperial Army.”

Caellach:
“Don’t say that. You’re glad you came with me, right? You know we were both sick to death of living like desert rats. I’m going to be king one day. This war is just the beginning.”

Aias:
“Ah… It starts again.”

Caellach:
“Word has it that the Knights of Rausten are riding from the north. They’re mine. I can trust this mess to your capable hands, can’t I, Aias?”

Aias:
“You remember what they called me when we were mercenaries, don’t you? I was never once wounded on the field of battle. Not once… My skill is not garnish and loud like yours, but I’ve never known defeat.”

Caellach:
“Yes, that is true. I’m depending on you, Aias.”

In this chapter, you can win if you survive for 11 turns or if you defeat Aias. Aias' advantage is that he has a large amount of ballistas and occupies all the forts on the map (that also spawn enemy reinforcements). The terrain is also on his side, with two mountains that force Eirika to go through a narrow path if she wishes to finish him ASAP. However she does it, Eirika proves her tactical prowess by overcoming this foe with a flawless record. Furthermore, it has already been demonstrated that Eirika is devising her own tactics, not simply relying on her allies. As such, if Aias falls before Rausten arrives he compliments her, further solidifying her growth.

As a bonus, he uses the feminine form of tactician in the Italian script, as demonstrated by the aforementioned screenshots.

Hide contents

Aias:
“Very…impressive. You’ve pierced the battle formations I’d perfected… No one’s ever done that. Renais’s tactician has earned my highest regard.”

https://imgur.com/a/kmt5hhT

In the case where Rausten's army arrives, it just means Eirika's army remained intact even after Pablo's mercenaries arrive from the left and corner her army. Not only this, but Cormag also arrives with a troop of his own. That Eirika is able to emerge victorious with enemies attacking from all directions with long-ranged projectiles to boot (Pablo's bolting and Aias' ballistas) further drives home her skill at commanding.

But speaking of Cormag, if Eirika talks to him he confronts her about Glen's death. While shocked at first, she regains her composure and plainly repeats Glen's last words to him, showing her ability to keep a level head in sudden crises.

Hide contents

Cormag:
“You’re Eirika, aren’t you?”

Eirika:
“And you’re…”

Cormag:
“You don’t know me, but you know my brother well enough. I’m Cormag. I’m the brother of Glen, general of the Grado army, whom you killed?”

Eirika:
“What?”

Cormag:
“This is no longer war, and this is not a battlefield. This is a duel, and I fight to avenge my brother. He died in combat, and I’ll not foul his name by murdering you unarmed. But I will have vengeance.”

Eirika:
“Hold! What is the meaning of this? Glen… Are you telling me General Glen is dead?”

Cormag:
“Do not play me for a fool! You will not… Your lies do nothing but stain your honor. Nothing more.”

Eirika:
“You’ve got it wrong! You’re making a mistake. Your brother and I never fought. He lowered his lance and left the battlefield to confront your emperor.”

Cormag:
“…My brother? You lie! Where is your proof?”

Eirika:
I’ve no proof. But… Here are the words he spoke to me. He told me he believed I possessed a gentle heart when we met before. He said I had not lost that quality…

Cormag:
“….. I see… Those are indeed my brother’s words. But then who? Who benefits from– …Ah! …Valter!”

At the end of the Chapter, Eirika learns that Jehanna has been conquered by Grado. Where Innes is shocked, she retains her composure and her first reaction is to ask about the Queen's wellbeing. Not only is this another example of her ability to stay calm under pressure, it also demonstrates her thoughtfulness towards others and ability to think ahead. This moment also serves to highlight how rational she is, especially compared to the emotional Innes.

Hide contents

Seth:
“Princess Eirika. Princes Innes. I’ve received word from the front. The palace of Jehanna was attacked by Grado forces and has surrendered.”

Innes:
“What? How did that…”

Eirika:
“And the queen? Is she safe?”

However, she does have her weaknesses and her composure slips when she learns that Lyon is leading the invading force, though she puts on a facade so as to not worry her friends. Of course, it's still evident that the thought of having to fight him breaks her heart.

Hide contents

Seth:
“The palace has already been occupied by imperial troops. The Grado army is being led by Lyon, the imperial prince.”

Eirika:
“Lyon?!”

L’Arachel:
“What it is, Eirika?”

Eirika:
“It’s nothing… …Lyon…”

Chapter 14: Queen of White Dunes

After learning that Lyon is leading the Grado army, Eirika remembers a sparring match where she bested him. Lyon praises her speed by calling her swift which is another example of gameplay-story integration as she is fast in gameplay too. Anyhow, the conversation shows that Lyon is too insecure about being the crown prince. Eirika shows her kindness by pointing out Lyon's strengths and reassuring he will become a good ruler. The irony is pretty big though as she says his compassion "will surely save us all", when in reality it did the opposite.

Hide contents

Lyon:
“…I yield. The point is yours, Eirika. You’re swift, aren’t you? Compared to you, I’m– I’ve been bested at fencing by a woman. Pitiful crown prince, am I not?”

Eirika:
“That’s not true…”

Lyon:
“Oh, no, Eirika. It is. The people need a strong ruler. They don’t want a weakling like me. They want the strength you and Ephraim share. My body is frail. I prefer to spend my time locked away in the castle, reading… I think my father would be better served if someone else took my place. I’m sure all of our retainers feel the same…”

Eirika:
“You’re wrong, Lyon. An emperor without compassion will never hold the people’s love. And one day, your compassion will surely save us all. I believe that.”

Lyon:
“Eirika… Thank you. Yes. I…I will do my best. Even though I lack your strength, there must be some good I can do.”

Eirika:
“There is.”

Lyon:
“By the way, Eirika… If it please you, would you accept this?”

Eirika's feelings for Lyon get in the way of her responsibilities as Seth was able to notice she isn't her usual self and we can see that she's not talking about the imminent battle unlike the other three. 

Hide contents

Seth:
“Princess Eirika? Is there something wrong?”

Eirika:
“N-no. It’s nothing.”

Seth:
“Jehanna Hall has been completely occupied by Grado soldiers. I’m sorry to report that Queen Ismaire is already…”

Innes:
“And the one giving orders to the troops in the palace is Crown Prince Lyon?”

L’Arachel:
“What is there to give us pause? Should we not storm the palace and retake it by strength of arms?”

Innes:
“Frelia’s spy network reports that Prince Lyon is an initiate of dark magic. If this is true, even approaching him will be a serious challenge. I’d heard the prince dislikes violence. However, it could all have been a ruse.”

Eirika:
“…….”

Innes:
“Still, if we don’t retake the palace, we’ve no hope of defeating Grado. We must rescue the queen, no matter the cost…”

Eirika:
“I understand. Let’s go!”

This Chapter as a whole examines Eirika's bond with Lyon and why she acts the way she does in Chapter 18. He is his normal - albeit sickly - self at the start and end of the Chapter, trying to rein Caellach back from his sadistic tendencies and trying to help Ismaire (i.e. when he has no reason to put on an act) after the battle.

Hide contents

Caellach:
“Oh, give it up, will you? I’ve no time for games. If you resist, I’ll just kill you and take it anyway.”

Lyon:
“H-hold! You mustn’t harm her, Caellach…”

Caellach:
“Shut up, Prince. My orders come from higher than you. You’ve not going to start disobeying his word, are you?”

Lyon:
“……”

Caellach:
“Last chance. Give me your Sacred Stone.”

Ismaire:
“…I cannot.”

Caellach:
“Ha ha! A queen to the end. I like you. You’ve got guts. Good-bye.”

Lyon:
“Ah!”

(Caellach attacks and fatally wounds Ismaire)

Caellach:
“And here’s the Sacred Stone. That makes two for me. I’m on a roll now.”

(Caellach shatters the stone)

Caellach:
“And another Sacred Stone has been destroyed. Grado, Frelia, and now Jehanna… Only two stones remain.”

Ismaire (off-screen):
“Uuh…ahh…”

Lyon:
“Ah… What should I do? C-Caellach… You must help her.”

Caellach:
“Leave her. Let her last breath be a harsh and ragged rasp. She’s not long for this world. Why, if you really wanted to help her, you’d deliver the final blow yourself!”

Lyon:
“N-no. I couldn’t.”

Caellach:
“…What a joke. I have a little work to wrap up in the hall before we leave. You should hit the road pretty soon, too, Prince.”

Lyon:
“……”

This is also how he appears before Eirika immediately after. Here he apologises for not being able to prevent the war (thus also apologising for her father's death), but reaffirms that he is still her and Ephraim's friend.

Hide contents

Caellach:
“…What a joke. I have a little work to wrap up in the hall before we leave. You should hit the road pretty soon, too, Prince.”

Lyon:
“……”

(Screen goes to where Eirika’s group fought Carlyle)

Eirika:
“I wonder where Queen Ismaire is.”

Innes:
“I heard she was in the throne room, but there’s no sight of her. And there’s no Sacred Stone, either.”

L’Arachel:
“We must search quickly.”

(Innes and L’Arachel walk away. Eirika is about to leave when Lyon teleports in)

Lyon:
“Ah…”

Eirika:
“Lyon!”

Lyon:
“Eirika…”

Eirika:
“Wait, Lyon! Don’t run away! My brother and I have been so worried about you… We know more then anyone the gentleness of your spirit. Your father is deranged, isn’t he? That’s why Grado invaded Renais, right? Tell me, Lyon… Please… Tell me what has happened.”

Lyon:
“I’m sorry, Eirika. I’ve wanted to see you and Ephraim for so long now… I wanted to see you so that I could apologize. The invasion of Renais… I couldn’t stop it. I’m sorry, but I still cannot talk to you. Not yet…”

Eirika:
“You… You have a reason, don’t you?”

Lyon:
“Mm… I can’t talk about it now, but… I promise I will tell you everything someday.”

Eirika:
“I see… I believe you, Lyon. I must tell you, I’m a little relieved. I was afraid you’d changed as much as your poor father has. I’m so glad.”

Lyon:
“Me, too, Eirika… No, you have changed. You’re even more beautiful than you were before.”

Eirika:
“L-Lyon…”

Lyon:
“I’m sorry, I have to go. But please remember this. This war started because I was too weak to stop it, but… I’ll always be your friend.”

Eirika:
“Lyon…”

If Joshua is alive, there's an additional scene here where he mourns his mother. Eirika comforts him, but when Jehanna Hall goes up in flames she is also the one who urges him to escape at the cost of her body, showing that she's still kind but isn't naive enough to risk their lives for Ismaire's remains. However, she's still the one who checks that everyone is safe once they do make it out.

Hide contents

Joshua:
“It’s been more than ten years. I’d grown tied of the formality of palace life, so I…just left. I wrote a farewell and left the palace, taking nothing with me. I felt I could never understand the people while I stayed sequestered in a castle. I abandoned my identity and roamed the continent, working where I could. I wanted only to be worthy of becoming king. I knew one day I would return. Gods, I was so foolish! I was such a child, I see it now. Was I simply rebelling against my mother? Punishing her for tending to her duties?”

Eirika:
“……”

Joshua:
“I was a fool, yes, but I learned much over these ten years. I have learned about the hearts of our people, how they need to be governed. I have learned how our country needs to change and to grow. I have learned much, but I’ve lost much more. Mother…”

Eirika:
“Prince Joshua…”

Joshua:
“I made a promise. I want to continue what she began. I will help defeat Grado. I will defend Jehanna and her allies. …I know it doesn’t sound like me, but…”

Hide contents

Soldier:
“Fire! Fires have broken out all through the hall!”

Joshua:
“What?”

Soldier:
“The curtains were soaked in oil, with torches set about the hall. It’s a trap! Someone did this during all the fighting. You must flee! Quickly, before the flames engulf us all!”

(The background turns from walls to walls on fire with smoke everywhere)

Seth:
“Princess Eirika. We must evacuate…”

Eirika:
“I know. Joshua, we must go. Now.”

Joshua:
“No… Mother… Forgive me…”

(They run outside)

Eirika:
“Is everyone well? Did anyone get left behind?”

But the conflict with Lyon still weighs on her. Just before the fire, L'Arachel is excited about the unity of the four nations but Eirika is sad because he's not with them. 

Hide contents

L’Arachel:
“Renais, Frelia, Rausten, and Jehanna. Four nations…united!”

Eirika:
“Yes, I suppose that’s true. And my brother is with us as well. And if it were possible… Lyon… I wish you could be here with us, too.”

After they escape, the party realises they're trapped. Now not only does Eirika have to worry about Lyon and the dire military situation where Jehanna's castle has been burnt and she has to face the full power of two Grado armies, she is also concerned about Ephraim's life because having all of Grado's forces could imply that they already managed to deal with Ephraim's invasion of Grado.

Hide contents

Seth:
“Princess Eirika. I’ve just received word that Grado reinforcements are headed this way. There are two armies, led by Generals Valter and Caellach.”

Eirika:
“No!”

Innes:
“Two armies… They’re willing to send so many here and leave the capital defenseless?”

L’Arachel:
“Why does everyone seem so distraught? It matters not who stands in our path. We shall smite them all with the power of righteousness!”

Seth:
“Princess Eirika… It’s going to be very difficult for us to continue. One of Grado’s generals alone is more than a match for us. Compound that with the exhaustion of our troops, and I’m not sure we can–“

Innes:
“Bah… With Jehanna Hall in flames, we’ve no place to hole up and dig in for a siege. We have to retreat. We have to win ourselves time for form a plan. Grado sent two generals… What could be happening in their capital? And what of Ephraim? Is he still alive?”

Eirika:
“…Brother…”

Chapter 15: Scorched Sands

Adding on to the terrible situation from the previous chapter, here Eirika's forces are being defeated en masse and the sandy terrain is hindering the mobility of the army. However, Eirika refuses to rest on account of how everyone else is still fighting and refuses to flee; choosing instead to fight to the death alongside them and demonstrating her willpower.

Hide contents

Seth:
“Princess Eirika, are you well?”

Eirika:
“……”

Seth:
“Princess Eirika!”

Eirika:
“…Oh…Seth?”

Seth:
“Yes, it’s me. Please, you must rest. If we continue like this, you’ll…”

Eirika:
“No… it’s all right. We’re all suffering… We’re still completely surrounded by Grado’s armies… We may all die at any moment… I can’t lose focus now. Has anything changed?”

Seth:
“Unfortunately, no. On every front, our forces meet with defeat upon defeat. Rausten’s knights are scattered and worn, and the enemy is closing in around them. And this accursed sand… Most of the units can’t get proper footing and are being slowed down. Mounted units are having the worst time, as their movement is severely limited. Princess Eirika… I ask that you leave for safety. We’ll use flying units and magic users to hold the foe here.”

Eirika:
“No. I will not retreat. If I give up now… My brother would not forgive me. I’m the princess of Renais. I will fight, either to victory or to death. Brother, I…”

As mentioned before, Valter has acknowledged Eirika's strength and even tells Riev to back off and let him have her.

Hide contents

Riev:
“Valter… You should stop playing around. If you don’t’ finish off Eirika’s forces swiftly… Her brother’s left the capital. He should be arriving here shortly. You don’t want to be fighting her still when he arrives. Trust me. We are equals here in Grado’s army. Would you like me to assist?”

Valter:
“All you need to do is vanish, you disgusting old man. Eirika is mine. I won’t let you have her. She is so strong, so beautiful… She’s the prey I’ve dreamed of.”

He's also dismissive of everyone else he fights.

Hide contents

(When you fight Valter)

Valter:
“I’ve no use for these bloodless minnows… Give me prey that will sate my bloodlust… I hunger!”

Though Eirika turns the tables by not even remembering him at first (which is pretty hilarious considering how much he obsesses over her) and telling him he won't stop her after.

Spoiler

Eirika vs. Valter

Valter:
“Mmm… I’ve been waiting for you, Eirika!”

Eirika:
“Who are you?”

Valter:
“Have you forgotten? We met once at Castle Renais. No? Look closely, Eirika. Do you not remember the face of he who will master you?”

Eirika:
“Wha–!?”

Valter:
“Yes, resist. It’s much more fun for me that way. Come, Eirika. I should like to tame you.”

Eirika:
“I am here on a mission. One that I swore to my brother I would fulfill. I will not be stopped by the likes of you!”

On a sadder yet more heartwarming note, Eirika and Ephraim's reunion shows just how concerned she was for his wellbeing beneath her brave front.

Hide contents

Ephraim:
“Eirika!”

Eirika:
“Brother? Is that really you? You’re not some phantom, are you?”

Ephraim:
“No, it’s really me. Hold. Enemies approach.”

During the debriefing at the end of the battle, Eirika and Ephraim compare their experiences with Lyon. While Ephraim tells her that Lyon was malicious to him, even he acknowledges that he seemed to be possessed by something, which also comes up in Chapter 18. This exchange is identical in both routes and also shows that the Demon King is cunning to divide their opinions on their friend so.

Hide contents

Ephraim:
“…I still can’t believe it, but I’ll tell you nonetheless. According to Knoll, the man behind this is Lyon, the imperial prince. He said Lyon’s got the Dark Stone.”

Innes:
“Figures it’s Prince Lyon…”

Eirika:
“No, that doesn’t make any sense. Ephraim and I know Lyon better than that. We’ve been friends for years. Lyon’s not the sort of person who could start a war like this.”

Innes:
“But, Eirika…”

Eirika:
“I saw Lyon recently. Ephraim, you might know this, but after I abandoned the sea route to Rausten, I traveled overland with Prince Innes to Jehanna. We ran into trouble with Grado’s forces, and I chanced upon Lyon. He didn’t share the details of his situation, but he intimated that he was on our side. Despite all appearances, he was on our side. So Lyon…”

Ephraim:
“Eirika, I also met Lyon.”

Eirika:
“Did you really?”

Ephraim:
“Yes. But, he was like a completely different person. To be honest, he didn’t seem to be completely…human.”

Eirika:
“Ephraim… What are you saying?”

Ephraim:
“I’ll tell you what I saw. I found Lyon inside Grado Keep. This is what he told me: He said he was behind this war. He said he’d befriended us solely so that, one day, he could invade Renais… He told me he killed our father.”

Eirika:
“That… That can’t…”

Ephraim:
“I know. I can’t believe it either. I refuse to believe it. How could he have planned all this since he was a child… I simply can’t fathom it. I’ve heard Lyon changed when he acquired the Dark Stone. I’ve no interest in magic, but… There was something uncanny about him. It seemed almost as though he were being controlled by something himself.”

A bit later, L'Arachel explains that they need the Sacred Stones to combat the Dark Stone. Innes is skeptical, but Eirika is the one to realise that L'Arachel is onto something and that Grado fears the Stones' power. She's also the one to spell out exactly why the Renais Stone would still be safe.

Hide contents

L’Arachel:
“Prince Ephraim, I do believe you felt it as well. The Dark Stone held by Prince Lyon… It exudes a malefic miasma… We might be able to handle Prince Lyon alone, but that stone is beyond our ken.”

Eirika:
“Then what do you suggest?”

L’Arachel:
“The Sacred Stones.”

Eirika:
“The Sacred Stones?”

L’Arachel:
“We’ve all heard the legend of the five Sacred Stones. They alone possessed the power to seal the Demon King away forever. So, of course, to dispel demonic magic, we must use the Sacred Stones!”

Innes:
“You expect us to pin the outcome of this war on some fool legend?”

Ephraim:
“…Not just the legend. We also have hope. According to Lyon, he has already seen to the destruction of Grado’s, Frelia’s, and Jehanna’s stones.”

Eirika:
“Hm. That explains something… Grado forces attacked me, intent on destroying the Stone of Renais. If that could be the reason they chose to invade Renais… The power of the Sacred Stones may be greater than we’d ever known.”

L’Arachel:
“Yes, exactly! If we acquire a Sacred Stone, we’ll be able to oppose the Dark Stone’s might!”

Innes:
“But three of the stones have been shattered, and our options are few. Do you suppose that, during the invasion of Renais…”

Ephraim:
“No, I don’t think so. The Stone of Renais is hidden by the power of Eirika’s and my bracelets.”

Eirika:
“Grado has made many attempts to take our bracelets. Every one has failed, and so the stone may still be safe.”

PART 3: ACT 3

Spoiler

Chapter 16: Ruled by Madness

Eirika's social intelligence is highlighted in her exchange with Orson in this chapter, as he admits that she's the only one who could possibly understand him.

Spoiler

Eirika:
“Why would you betray us?”

Orson:
“…Princess Eirika. If anyone could understand my feelings it might be you. For the one I love… I betrayed everything. My country, my lord and master… Everything…”

After reclaiming Renais Castle, Eirika is the first to think of how poorly their people must be faring, showing how in touch she is with them.

Hide contents

Ephraim:
“We’ve finally made it back. Yet…”

Eirika:
“Mmm… We can repair the castle, and what was stolen, we can do without. But the wounds and suffering inflicted upon the people of Renais…”

She later also proves to be more in touch with her father's feelings than Ephraim, comforting him with the knowledge that Fado truly cared for him.

Hide contents

Ephraim:
“I wonder if Father anticipated all of this long ago. When I was growing up, I never thought about becoming king. I only wanted to be a good soldier, a good warrior. The best on the battlefield. Father never understood what I wanted, but… I never understood him, either.”

Eirika:
“……”

Ephraim:
“It was the same when Grado invaded Renais. I should have stayed home to defend the kingdom… Instead, I raced off to fight for personal glory.”

Eirika:
“Brother… I don’t think you know how well Father understood your feelings. When I last saw him, he was concerned for nothing but our safety…”

Just before that moment though, Eirika unlocks the power of her Lunar Brace. She was already physically strong enough to impress Valter, but this makes her even more of a force to be reckoned with.

Hide contents

Eirika:
“…Huh? Brother, look! Our bracelets, they’re…”

Ephraim:
“What is this? Are they reacting to the light of the stone? Eirika’s Lunar Brace and Ephraim’s Solar Brace glow in response to the Sacred Stone. With the power of the bracelets, the twins can now change classes.”

(A confirmation message will appear, asking you if you want to change the classes of the twins. If not, instead of changing class, you will receive a Lunar Brace for Eirika and a Solar Brace for Ephraim, which you can use on them anytime you want)

(Back to the chamber with the twins and Seth)

Eirika:
“I can’t believe the bracelets contain so much power…”

After obtaining Sieglinde, Eirika explains why she still fights and how, despite the terrible power of the Sacred Twins, she needs to use them to win the war. This moment shows that Eirika has become more pragmatic as a result of her journey, while also showcasing how much she's matured and how determined she is to see the conflict through. She doesn't want to hide from the truth as that would mean accepting defeat. And so, she really must fight.

Hide contents

Eirika:
“These are the ancient weapons of our ancestors–the weapons of heroes. They were enshrined generations ago, to be used only by the king… and only in times of dire need. Such an awful power they possess, and yet we need them to restore peace. I’ve seen enough of the horrors of war, but I can’t turn my back on it. If we merely turn our eyes away, we surrender our world to atrocity. And so, I must fight. I’ll do whatever I must do to bring back the peace we once knew.”

Chapter 17: River of Regrets

The Chapter starts with a flashback featuring Lyon and the twins. While Lyon talks about using Grado's Stone's power for the greater good, Eirika questions the safety of such a reckless move which goes to show her cautious nature and knowledge.

Hide contents

Ephraim:
“How do you intend to use the Sacred Stone, Lyon? Do you really think you can tap into its power?”

Lyon:
“Mm… My research isn’t complete yet, but there’s no mistaking the power the Sacred Stones contain. And the Stone of Grado seems especially responsive to my dark magic. I suppose it’s because it contains both sacred and demonic properties. Regardless, if I can just press my studies a little harder… Well, I think I might be able to use it to heal my father’s illness. If that works, there’s no telling how many other people I can help as well.”

Eirika:
“Do you think this is wise? The power contained within the stones is beyond our understanding… My father tells me that the stones possess a power not to be trifled with.”

However, Eirika ultimately puts her faith in Lyon, trusting that he and his kindness are up to the challenge. This sets up her mistake in the next Chapter and also the highlights the tragedy of what becomes of his experiments.

Hide contents

Lyon:
“Ephraim, Eirika, what do you two think? Using the divine power of the Sacred Stones in this way… You don’t think it’s a very good idea, do you?”

Ephraim:
“…It’s just that I know nothing at all of magic. I would that there were some way I could help you, but I simply can’t. But, Lyon, I’ve seen how hard you’ve worked to help others. I know how much you want the power to make others happy. I know these things, and because I know you, I trust your intentions.”

Lyon:
“Ephraim…”

Ephraim:
“If you hope to use the power of the Sacred Stone for good, I trust you can. I’m behind you all the way.”

Eirika:
“I agree with Ephraim entirely. You spend every night in the library, studying cures for your father’s illness. The power of the Sacred Stones is too powerful to be used for personal gain. But you, Lyon… I think you’ll be fine. You’re the kindest person I know.”

We also get another reminder that Eirika isn't as prim and proper as she seems as she agrees to Ephraim's plan of skipping their studies for the day and talks Lyon into following suit. It shows that while she'll call him out for ignoring his lessons when they're important, she can be carefree and isn't above breaking the rules when the situation calls for it; in this case her concern for Lyon's wellbeing. She even throws in a cheeky "I won't tell anyone" for good measure!

Hide contents

Eirika:
“Hold on, Lyon. You can’t take too much on yourself all at once. What good is helping people if you sacrifice yourself to do it?”

Lyon:
“Oh… Yes, of course. Sorry. I got carried away.”

Ephraim:
“You have a soft heart, Lyon. I bet you haven’t taken any real time off at all. So this is what we’re going to do. Today, we’re going into the city. And you’re going with us, Lyon.”

Lyon:
“What? But, Ephraim, you’ve got a history report due.”

Ephraim:
“We’re taking today off. C’mon, let’s go.”

Lyon:
“Bu-but, Ephraim…”

Eirika:
“It’s just one day, and I won’t tell anyone. Won’t it be fun for the three of us to spend a day in the city?”

The twins meet him in the present too, but due to Lyon showing two different sides of his personality to them, they react differently. Here, it's the real Lyon who appears before the party and tries to talk to the them, thus is surprised when Ephraim is angry and warns Eirika when the Demon King takes over, even resisting him for a while. All of this shows that Lyon is still himself to an extent and supports Eirika's later belief that he can be saved. In addition, Ephraim is angry at Lyon saying the war was his fault, but this is exactly what he apologised to Eirika for in Chapter 14, another reason she's willing to hear him out.

Hide contents

Ephraim:
“Lyon? We met recently in Grado Keep, right? Do you remember what you told me then? You told me this was all your doing, that you had started this war.”

Lyon:
“What? Ephraim? Why are you so angry? We haven’t seen each other in so long? What’s happened?”

Eirika:
“Lyon?”

Ephraim:
“Wait, Eirika! You said it yourself. Lyon must be under the control of someone or something else.”

Eirika:
“Don’t be ridiculous! There must be something wrong with you, Ephraim! Lyon is one of our dearest and closest friends, remember? He told me that, no matter what happened, he was still on our side. Isn’t that right, Lyon?”

Lyon:
“Yes, Eirika. Of course it is. So please, come here. Closer. Ah! Gah?”

Eirika:
“Lyon?!”

The extent to which Lyon struggles against the Demon King further emphasises his plight, which just makes Eirika that much more desperate to save him later.

Hide contents

Eirika:
“Lyon?!”

(Lyon’s speech bubble turns black)

Lyon:
“Stay back Eirika!”

Eirika:
“What?”

Lyon:
“Get away from me quickly! If you don’t...he will surely...destroy you...”

Eirika:
“What? Lyon?”

Lyon:
“Flee qui-quickly! GO! Gah! Aaaaaaarrrrggggghhh!”

Eirika:
“Ly-Lyon. Hold on! What is it? What’s happening?!”

She also tries to get through to him during their encounter here.

Hide contents

Eirika:
“Lyon, please! You must stop! I… I have no wish to fight you!”

Lyon:
“Heh heh… Wretched girl. Are you listening, Lyon? Is this truly the girl you loved? Then I will use these hands to tear her limb from limb!”

And while she's still hopeful at the end of the Chapter, she's regained enough resolve to yell at him to stop running and the Demon King even acknowledges her strength, going to show how far she's come.

Hide contents

Eirika:
“Hold, Lyon!”

Evil Lyon:
“Now, I know your strength. It is time to leave. I sacrifice this flesh and return to my body of old. This does not end. The world will drown again in darkness.”

At the end of the Chapter, both Innes and Syrene/ the river folk commend Eirika on her leadership. Considering Innes is known for his tactical prowess himself, this speaks volumes to Eirika's own skill as a commander. She accepts both parties' praises with as much humility as ever.

Hide contents

Eirika:
“These…”

Innes:
“Frelia’s Sacred Twins. Nidhogg, the Serpent Bow, and Vidofnir, the Winged Lance. I want you to take them.”

Eirika:
“These are for you, aren’t they? They’re for the rulers of Frelia.”

Innes:
“No, I entrust them to your care. You’re the leader of this army. Use them as you see fit.”

Eirika:
“Thank you, Prince Innes… I appreciate your sacrifice.

Innes:
“It is no sacrifice, and I require no thanks. We’re fighting for the same thing here:”
victory.

(Screen changes to Eirika, Syrene and the river folks (if you saved them))

Young Lady:
“Lady Syrene! Thank you! We all owe you our gratitude…”

Syrene:
“No, it wasn’t my doing. We prevailed because of superior leadership.

Eirika:
Oh, please…

Old Man:
“We owe you a debt of gratitude that can never be repaid. It’s not much, but please accept this staff as a small token.”

Young Lady:
“And our appreciation, too. Thank you!”

Chapter 18: Two Faces of Evil

Eirika comes to realize that Lyon has been possessed and asks L'Arachel for advice on how to bring him back. L'Arachel argues there isn't a way to save him but even after the conversation Eirika is still in denial. A lot of people think it is dumb that Eirika gave Lyon the Sacred Stone. However, this conversation explains it. L'Arachel is not an infallable source of knowledge and even she says "to the best of my knowledge, no" so it is logical for Eirika to conclude that there may still be a way to save him even if it is grasping at straws, especially since L'Arachel herself admits that someone has thrown off the Demon King.

Furthermore, while Eirika has acknowledged that he is indeed possessed, she has seen the real Lyon, so L'Arachel's argument that Lyon can no longer be saved because his soul has been completely devoured isn't proven to be true. In fact, Lyon's nice appearances can allow her to deduce that there is still a bit of Lyon's soul remaining and due to his kind heart, it may allow him to overpower the Demon King much like Saint Latona.

After this exchange L'Arachel tells Eirika to retreat due to her stress, but Eirika refuses so as not to abandon her group or her friend, explaining why he deserves to be saved.

Hide contents

Eirika:
“L’Arachel? May I ask for your advice?”

L’Arachel:
“What is it, Eirika? There’s no need to be so formal.”

Eirika:
“It’s about Lyon. My brother was right. Lyon’s been possessed by the Demon King. He-He’s no longer the Lyon I once knew. But I can’t help feeling there must be some way to bring him back.”

L’Arachel:
“...”

(Eirika jumps persuading)

Eirika:
“Please help me, L’Arachel. I want to save him. Rausten is the spiritual heart of Magvel. They keep the ancient lore. You’re their princess. You must know something about the demons of legend. Is there anything that can save Lyon?

L’Arachel:
“I’m so sorry, Eirika. To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to aid him.”

Eirika:
“That can’t be! There must be something! Any clue, no matter how slight!

L’Arachel:
“Our oldest legends tell us just this: Only one person has ever been able to shake off the Demon King’s domination. Rausten’s founder, Saint Latona the sure-hearted, shattered his fetters. If one possesses a strength of will beyond that of normal men? Only then can one throw off the shackles of the Demon King. But you saw it yourself, Eirika, with your own two eyes. Your friend Lyon’s body has already been claimed by the Demon King. Once it’s gone that far, there’s nothing that can be done. When the Demon King takes over someone, he devours his spirit, his very soul. Even if his hold on Lyon’s body could be released, that body would have no soul. There is no power in Rausten?not even the Sacred Stone?that can perform so great a miracle as to restore a shattered soul.”

Eirika:
“But? Lyon?”

L’Arachel:
“Eirika, I understand how you feel, but the prince is gone. The Lyon you knew no longer exists. It’s more important now that you care for yourself. If we pursue the Demon King, we’re likely to suffer for it. I want you to return to Rausten Palace and rest yourself.”

Eirika:
“Thank you, L’Arachel. However, I must stay with the company. I have to believe there’s something I can do to help him. Lyon was always so kind. He wanted nothing more than to help people. It’s too terrible to picture him imprisoned by the Demon King. Imprisoned with no hope of salvation.”

At the end of the battle, Eirika confronts Lyon. What's important here is that Lyon appears to be his real self at the moment, just as he was in Chapter 14, and is fighting against Formortiss as he talks to her as he did in the previous chapter. He acts as if he's about to die and Eirika has lost so much already that it stands to reason that she wouldn't allow anyone to pass if there's even the slightest chance of saving them. Lyon claims the Sacred Stone can save him and rid them of the Demon King which she accepts. Eirika knows he's spent months if not years studying the Sacred Stones - and that they have the power to do just that - so it follows that Lyon can be cured with one.

Hide contents

Eirika:
“Lyon! Lyoooon!”

Lyon (off-screen):
“Ei…Eirika…”

Eirika:
“Lyon? Where are you?”

Lyon (off-screen):
“I’m…here.”

(Lyon teleports in)

Eirika:
“Lyon… Hold on. I’ll save you!”

Lyon:
“Forgive me…Eirika… It’s over…for me… The Demon King has devoured my soul… I’m mad…and I’m going… to die…”

Eirika:
“Lyon… What should I do? How can I help you? Tell me! I’ll do anything, but you have to tell me!”

Lyon:
“…The Sacred Stone… Give me…the stone…”

Eirika:
“What?”

Lyon:
“My body…is being ravaged by the Demon King. If it continues unchecked, nothing can save me. But if I had the power of a Sacred Stone… I could save…my soul…”

Eirika:
“Lyon…”

Lyon:
“Please…Eirika… I don’t want to die yet… I want to live…with you… If I had the Sacred Stone… I could…heal myself… Please…”

Eirika:
“Could the Sacred Stone really do that? Could it heal you?”

Lyon:
“Yes… Please…Eirika…”

Eirika:
“I…trust you, Lyon. I have a stone right here.”

What follows is a subversion of the classical Power of Friendship: Eirika places her faith in the kindness and strength of Lyon's heart, only to be deceived. However, she immediately realises what happened and tries to fight back, showing she still has her wits about her. This moment also serves to show how much of a mental threat Formortiss is, being able to manipulate her emotions to his benefit.

Hide contents

Evil Lyon:
“….. Ah… It’s true… A Sacred Stone… Ha ha….. Heh heh heh… An abominable Sacred Stone… Here in my grasp.”

Eirika:
“What? Lyon? No… You’re–“

Evil Lyon:
“Ha ha…heh heh heh. How disappointing for you. This body is mine now. Nothing remains of your dear boy’s soul.”

Eirika:
“You only pretended to be Lyon… You deceived me. Return him! Return Lyon now!”

Here she realises Lyon is truly gone and mourns for him as he leaves. In fact she's so distraught she collapses as soon as the coast is clear. Despite this, she is the first to realise they have no way of following him.

Hide contents

(Lyon teleports away)

Eirika:
“……”

Ephraim:
“Eirika! Wake up! Do you know who I am?”

Eirika:
“Brother… Lyon? Lyon’s…”

Ephraim:
“Eirika… I know. Don’t speak.”

Eirika:
“I…I… Lyon is… He’s really…

Ephraim:
“Let’s go back. L’Arachel will be worried, Eirika… You can weep now. As much as you need. Weep for me, as well.”

(Scene change to the party)

Seth:
“…It appears the enemy fled over this cliff.”

Eirika:
“I see no way we can pursue him now…”

Ephraim:
“So he got away, is that it?”

Eirika is the first to realise Lyon can't be followed in Ephraim's version of the scene too.

Hide contents

Ephraim:
“…Lyon… I…”

Eirika:
“Brother! Are you… You look ill.”

Ephraim:
“…Is that you, Eirika? Don’t worry. It’s nothing.”

Eirika:
“B-but…you’re so pale. What happened?”

Ephraim:
“…Eirika.”

Eirika:
“Y-yes?”

Ephraim:
“Lyon is… Lyon’s my friend. Forever and always.”

Eirika:
“Brother… Let’s get out of here. L’Arachel and the others are worried.”

Seth:
“…It appears the enemy fled over this cliff.”

Eirika:
“I see no way we can pursue him now…”

Ephraim:
“So he got away, is that it?”

As an aside, it's implied before Formortiss leaves that a part of Lyon really is alive inside him (which is confirmed in Chapter 20), so Eirika's intuition is ultimately correct.

Hide contents

Ephraim (off-screen):
“Eirika!”

Evil Lyon:
“Oh…caught up, have you? Hmm, I’ve changed my mind. I’ll leave the girl alive. Take her. There are memories of you in this flesh I wear. And I hunger to see your face bear more suffering and pain.”

Chapter 19: Last Hope

Eirika shows us that she is a proactive diplomat considering how Mansel asked L'Arachel to tell him about who they are. I find it interesting that she claims to come as an emissary of Frelia considering she isn't even Frelian. This goes to show that her diplomacy skills are above that of her peers (Ephraim, Innes, Tana and L'Arachel) as it is Eirika that gets to convince Mansel to give them their support. Considering this is Eirika at her weakest mental state due to what transpired in the previous chapter, this is commendable.

Spoiler

L’Arachel:
“Of course I’m safe, Uncle. Evil can never defeat the forces of righteousness!”

Mansel:
“Ha! You’re exactly right, my dear! Now tell me, who are our guests?”

Eirika:
“Pontifex Mansel of Rausten, allow me to introduce myself. I am Eirika, Princess of Renais. I come to you today as an emissary of Frelia.”

Ephraim:
“And I am Ephraim, Prince of Renais. I come with Eirika to warn you of the danger our world faces.”

Eirika:
“It began when…”

(Screen blacks out and comes back)

Mansel:
“…Hmm, I see. That is a tough tale to swallow all at once… However, I have heard of the fell creatures in Darkling Woods. L’Arachel. You will need the Stone of Rausten if we have any hope of victory.”

Eirika is still at her lowest and ll mourning Lyon, to the point that she can barely talk (Eliwood finds himself in a similar situation in FE7). Despite this however, she still forces herself to put on a brave face for the sake of her friend, who's been trying to rouse her all this time.

Hide contents
Eirika:

“……”

L’Arachel:
“Eirika.”

Eirika:
“Ah…”

L’Arachel:
“Don’t look so sad. It wreaks such havoc on your beauty.”

Eirika:
“L’Arachel. I… What should I do? Lyon was one of my dearest friends… I feel so helpless. There’s nothing I can do to help him…”

L’Arachel:
“Your friend is gone, Eirika. All that remains is the Demon King, masquerading as Lyon. For the good of all humanity, he must be defeated. Ah… If only it truly were that easy, though.”

Eirika:
“…”

L’Arachel:
“Eirika… I never knew Prince Lyon. I cannot pretend to understand the sadness you must feel. However, I do know this… If the Lyon you hold so dear were here with you today… What do you think he would want you to do?”

Eirika:
“I can’t… ……”

L’Arachel:
“There’s no need to rush, Eirika. Take your time and think it through. You need to find your own answer. Now then, it’s about time we found ourselves something to eat. It’s hard to be optimistic on an empty stomach.”

(Eirika turns back to normal)

Eirika:
“Yes, I’ll be right there. Thank you, L’Arachel.”

When Riev attacks in the dead of night, Eirika joins the defence of Rausten Court. Seth tells her to stay back, but Ephraim has realised how capable she is by this point and argues for her. In the face of battle, she speaks calmly and is determined to defend the Pontifex despite her inner grief.

Hide contents

Seth:
“Princess Eirika, please. Prince Ephraim and I will handle this.”

Ephraim:
“Seth, it’s all right. Eirika can take care of herself. Isn’t that right, Eirika?”

Eirika:
Yes. I’m sorry if I troubled you. Let’s go. We have to protect Pontifex Mansel.

Her facade slips slightly when the battle begins, but here we see that she's decided what she wants to do. She has fully accepted Lyon's death and refers to him in the past tense, but also vows with complete confidence that she will defeat the Demon King.

Hide contents

Eirika:
“Lyon... You were so selfless. Your generosity seemed to flow from a bottomless well. I’m so sorry, Lyon. I couldn’t save you. But I know what you would have wanted. I know it as I know my own name. So watch, Lyon. I will defeat the Demon King.”

She's much more composed after the battle too and speaks normally again (note the use of commas), but still looks out for those around her. She also thanks L'Arachel for guiding her, which makes the latter blush. Whatever happens, she'll always be kind to her friends and allies.

Hide contents

L’Arachel:
“Behold. Victory is ours!”

Eirika:
“Yes, we did it somehow. I wonder if everyone else is OK.”

L’Arachel:
“Eirika? Did you find your answer?”

Eirika:
“Yes. Thank you, L’Arachel. Your words guided me.”

L’Arachel:
“My-my words? It was nothing! Come, we should find the Sacred Stone. If anything were to happen to it...”

Eirika:
“L’Arachel? Your face is flushed. Is anything amiss?”

L’Arachel:
“N-no, it’s nothing. Nothing at all!”

It's also telling that when the group is about to leave, Mansel gives Rausten's Sacred Twins (and 10000G) to Eirika, not L'Arachel, who in return vows to keep the Twins and her party safe. As with Innes and Syrene before, it goes to show how much her allies value Eirika's leadership.

Hide contents

L’Arachel:
“I am indeed, Uncle. And they, in turn, are blessed with me! Farewell, Uncle. I shall return. Once evil has been vanquished, we’ll all return safe and sound.”

Mansel:
“Hold on. Not so fast now. I have something I wish to present to Princess Eirika.”

Eirika:
“To me, Your Holiness?”

Mansel:
“Yes, Princess. I’d like you to accept this gift.”

Eirika:
“What is it?”

L’Arachel:
“Oh! Aren’t those… Aren’t those the Sacred Twins of Rausten?”

Mansel:
“That’s right, dear niece. These are the weapons of Saint Latona, most holy father of Rausten. Here, we have glorious Ivaldi, and its twin, the divine Staff of Latona. I will also spare some funding to feed and arm your forces. After all, these is much that you must do before you leave these halls.”

(Got Ivaldi, Latona, and 10,000 Gold)

L’Arachel:
“So they are the blessed Latona’s most sacred relics… Is this allowed?”

Mansel:
“I know the law, L’Arachel. The relics must never leave the temple, with the sole exception of the occasional ascension ceremony, but I think that, when the world needs saving, we can make the odd exception.”

L’Arachel:
“That’s my uncle!”

Mansel:
“You will return them, of course… once you’ve finished your task. Princess Eirika, I would have your oath on this.”

Ephraim:
“Of course. You have my word. We shall return safely, and we shall restore your relics.”

The same is true of Rausten's Knights who, despite first greeting L'Arachel, offer the Light Brand to Eirika instead.

Hide contents

Soldier:
“Princess L’Arachel!”

L’Arachel:
“My beloved countrymen! The combat was fierce, but you protected the palace honorably. The valorous Knights of Rausten shall live on in story and song!”

Soldier:
“Thank you, my lady. As always, it is our honor to serve. Princess Eirika, before you leave, please take this sword. We pray for your swift and safe return!”

Ephraim:
“I appreciate your gift. I swear I will not allow your valor to be wasted!”

Eirika is also level-headed enough to stock up on supplies and refuses to be reckless with their lives, unlike her more daring brother.

Hide contents

L’Arachel:
“Darkling Woods is home to naught but demons now. Indeed, I hear tell that none who enter its borders ever leave again. We ought to stock up on supplies in town before we set out.”

Eirika:
“Yes, we must be as prepared as possible before we set out. I don’t want to take any reckless chances with our lives.”

Chapter 20: Darkling Woods

At the end of the battle, we see again how reverent Eirika is towards the past and how kind she is towards children when she talks to Myrrh about her father. She wants to speak with Morva to pay her respects, but upon being told he isn't around, tells Myrrh that he sounds like a good parent. She gives Myrrh the option of being with him instead of fighting on with them and, when she refuses, agrees to end the fighting as soon as possible so Myrrh can go back to him with no regrets. As with Ewan and the other trainees, it's telling that she's so gentle with Myrrh despite this being their first major interaction.

Hide contents

Myrrh:
… I’m sorry… Father…

(Eirika moves over to Myrrh)

Eirika:
“Myrrh… What is it…”

Myrrh:
“Um… I… I just met with my father. I had not seen or spoken with him for quite a while.”

Eirika:
“You saw your father… Then we must speak with him-

Myrrh:
“No… He told me he couldn’t see you. He said it wasn’t a good idea for him to meet so many people. As the tribal chieftain, he feels he should maintain his distance.”

Eirika:
“Is that so… That’s too bad.

Myrrh:
“But he offered me words of encouragement and praised my efforts thus far. He told me in his kindly voice to come home to him safely. I will do my best to honor his faith in me.”

Eirika:
“He sounds like a good father.”

Myrrh:
“He is… Mistress Eirika… I’ll do all I can. For my father–and for all of you as well. I will help you, and we will defeat the Demon King.”

Eirika:
“Are you sure you want to go with us, Myrrh… You had so wanted to be with your father”

Myrrh:
“Yes… I’m sure. Once we are finished dealing with this evil, I will have time then. Let’s hurry, Mistress Eirika.”

Eirika:
“Myrrh… I understand. Let’s get moving. The faster we can end this nightmare, the better.”

Chapter 21: The Sacred Stones

The Chapter starts with another flashback where Eirika and Lyon say their goodbyes. As mentioned before, the irony of these flashbacks are tragic: Eirika believes that they will meet again due to being friends when in reality they meet as enemies, while the reason why Lyon never gave up his Sacred Stone studies was because of Eirika's faith in him. So her former naive self is indirectly responsible for everything that's happened.

Spoiler

(Flashback, Eirika and Lyon are in the garden in Grado)

Lyon:
“When tomorrow comes… you have to go home, don’t you…”

Eirika:
“Yes… Thank you for everything, Lyon. I’ll never forget the time I spent here.”

Lyon:
“Do you think we’ll see each other again…”

Eirika:
“Yes, of course. My brother and you and me. We are friends, after all. Aren’t we…”

Lyon:
“Eirika… Yep, you’re right."

Eirika:
“I hope your study of the Sacred Stones is fruitful. I know you’ll use the wisdom you glean to make your people happy.”

Lyon:
“Thank you, Eirika. You know, you’re the only reason I was able to save that girl. There were times when I wanted to give up, to admit failure. But you were always there. You were always encouraging me to succeed. That’s what kept me going. I just thought of you.”

Eirika:
“Lyon…”

Lyon:
“Eirika… I…I’ve always… I’m sorry… Forget what I was saying. I could never be like Ephraim…”

Eirika:
“Lyon, what do you–“

Lyon:
“I guess this is it, Eirika. Hope to see you again someday. I’m going to focus on my work and do my best until that day. My research will progress, and my discoveries will benefit us all. One day, I will be a prince worthy of you, and I will see you again.”

The present day segment also begins with an exchange between the two: Eirika and the real Lyon. The latter apologises for being weak and, despite everything her own weakness cost her, Eirika chooses to comfort him, telling him everyone has them. However, she is still determined to put him down.

Spoiler

Eirika:
“Lyon… It is you, isn’t it, Lyon…!”

Lyon:
“Yes… But I’m… I’m almost completely gone. Before I’m lost entirely, I want to apologize. I’m sorry, Eirika. This is all my fault. I was too weak…”

Eirika:
“You’re not to blame, Lyon. It was the Demon King. He was controlling you…”

Lyon:
“No, that’s not true, Eirika. When the Demon King reached into me from inside the Dark Stone…When he whispered he would see all my dreams and desires made true…I…I did not reject him. In the shadows of my heart, he saw jealousy…vanity…It was my weakness that put these emotions there, allowed them to thrive.”

Eirika:
“Everyone has weaknesses, Lyon. You’re not the only one. I do. I’m sure my brother does…Don’t hate yourself for having these feelings, please.”

Lyon:
“Thank you, Eirika. You were always…so kind. The Demon King will claim my flesh as a vessel for his resurrection. Before that can happen…I want you to kill me. I’m sorry, Eirika. I’m already-“

Eirika:
…..

Formortiss takes over, but we see the first change Eirika's experiences in Chapters 18 and 19 brought to her as she bluntly tells him to shut up. Despite Formortiss' taunting about her past misgivings, she plainly tells him that this time she can and will kill him, singlehandedly if she has to. Eirika isn't one for hyperbole, so this threat is doubly impressive. And remember Novala in Chapter 6? It speaks volumes that she now talks to the Demon King himself just as she did to a lowly bandit at the very beginning of her journey!

Hide contents

(Light dims slightly, Lyon’s speech bubble becomes black)

Evil Lyon:
“Oh, please…Are you done turning your failings into some sad epic of personal tragedy… It’s time we started then. I have a ritual to complete…and some nuisances to kill.”

Eirika:
Shut your mouth. I won’t allow you to desecrate Lyon’s body any further. You will not return to this world. I will stop you myself if I must.

Evil Lyon:
“Ah, is that so… And do you honestly think yourself capable, wench… You once prayed for this fool’s salvation. Can you bring yourself to kill him…”

Eirika:
I can and I will. I made a promise to Lyon, and I intend to honor it.

In fact, Eirika's the only one with unique dialogue when fighting "Lyon" here, which shows that even the game expects her to make good on her threat to end him herself. And as we've seen earlier, not only is she mentally stronger than she was at the start of her journey, she's now physically strong enough to see things through as well!

Spoiler

Eirika vs. Lyon (Eirika Final Chapter)

Eirika:
“Lyon… I hope you’re watching. I will defeat the Demon King.”

Lyon:
“Hah, do you really think your blade can hurt me? Cut me and see! If you can even hit me, that is.”

Her growth goes beyond how she treats Formortiss: it affects how she treats Lyon's demise too and shows that she learned more from the loss of Renais' Stone than Ephraim. While she is sad at his death but stays calm and accepts it, Ephraim instead starts rambling and clutching at straws for a way to save him despite being the one who told Eirika he was beyond saving in the first place.

Ultimately, while Eirika was unaccustomed to war when it broke out, in the end she's the one able to make the tough decisions, not her more experienced brother.

Hide contents

(Lyon falls on the ground, Eirika runs over to him, Ephraim stays a bit behind her)

Lyon:
…..

Eirika:
“Lyon!”

Ephraim:
“Be careful, Eirika!”

Eirika:
“It’s all right. He’s Lyon. Lyon…”

Lyon:
“Ei…Eirika…Is…that you…”

Eirika:
Yes, Lyon. It’s me.

Lyon:
“Eirika…You stopped me, didn’t you… I’m glad…”

Eirika:
Lyon…Lyon…

Lyon:
“Listen…Eirika… I never had the courage to tell you, but…I’ve always loved you…”

(Lyon dies)

Eirika:
“Lyon…”

Ephraim:
“…..”

To compare, here's Ephraim's version of Lyon's death:

Hide contents

(Battle ends, Lyon is lying on the ground)

Lyon:
“I guess that proves it. You’re too strong, Ephraim… I’ve always… admired…”

Ephraim:
“Lyon!”

Lyon:
“You know, Ephraim… I always wanted to be you. I wanted to be strong and handsome… With Eirika always at my side… That’s what I wanted to be. I had… I had nothing…”

Ephraim:
“Don’t be ridiculous, Lyon. Who was it that taught me history? Who covered for me when I stumbled? Didn’t you see how I looked up to you? I admired your compassion, your wisdom, your thoughtfulness….

Lyon:
“Oh, yeah… That seems so long ago… I did keep you out of trouble, didn’t I? Thanks for remembering. See? You’re thoughtful, too…”

Ephraim:
Lyon… Wait! Don’t close your eyes! I’m going to save you! I’ll find a way! I…

Lyon:
“No, don’t… Thanks, anyway. It was all my fault… Don’t look so sad. C’mon, Ephraim, smile. Like you used to…”

(Lyon dies)

Ephraim:
“…Lyon…”

Despite proving better at hardening her heart, Eirika still makes the more impassioned speech upon the revival of Formortiss' original form. Where Ephraim makes a bold speech, Eirika instead appeals to her friends as individuals and thus gives a much more personal rallying cry, saying she promised to return everyone home safely and that she intends to see that promise through.

Hide contents

Ephraim:
“I understand. Everyone! Listen to me! This is the final battle. If we can defeat this thing, it’s over. We face the king of demons, the monster that once ruled all Magvel. He’s more powerful than any one of us here. But we have something that beast will never have. We have community, friendship, love… We have all the virtues of humanity. That is our weapon. That is our strength. [...] I have no intention of seeing anyone else die!”

Eirika:
“I understand, L’Arachel. Listen, everyone. I can never repay you for all you’ve done so far. Now, please, one last time…Lend me your strength. To defeat the Demon King! To restore peace to our lands! To take the peace we all dream of and make it real! [...] I have no desire to make any more heartbreaking sacrifices. I promised we would all return safely, and return safely we shall!”

This extends to the dialogue (which is identical in both routes) after the final battle too. Ephraim chooses to be bold and talks about what "we" accomplished, while Eirika is humble and instead thanks her friends for what they did instead.

Hide contents

Eirika:
“That’s it. It’s over, isn’t it…”

L’Arachel:
“Yes. Evil has been imprisoned, locked away. The legends of old have been mirrored in our actions today.”

Innes:
“No, we’ve done far more than the legends ever told. We’ve destroyed the Demon King’s body. He can never come back.”

Eirika:
“That’s right. And we have you all to thank for it.”

Ephraim:
“And another thing… In that ancient battle, it took the might of the five heroes to do what we did. We did not have their extraordinary power to draw upon.”

Eirika:
“No, we didn’t. We conquered darkness and restored peace to the land, thanks to you. It was because you never gave in, you never stopped fighting. None of you, not once. Thank you…

And this difference between the two is emphasised once more in their final lines. Ephraim is proud and declares their victory, while Eirika instead thinks only of their friends back home and of returning to them, incidentally what she promised all her friends would be able to do just before.

Hide contents

Ephraim:
“…… The war is over. Victory is ours. Now we ride for home!”

Eirika:
“All right, let’s go home. Let’s go back to the people who are waiting for us…”

Edited by DefyingFates
typo

PART 4: EPILOGUE AND ENDINGS

Hide contents

Epilogue

In Ephraim's Epilogue, he throws himself into restoring Grado after it's hit by an landslide, leaving Eirika in charge of Renais until he returns. This is him taking responsibility as a ruler for the first time, but also shows how he copes with everything that's happened and that Eirika really is fit to rule as suggested by the numerous flashbacks they shared with Lyon.

Hide contents

Ephraim:
“I’m sorry, Eirika. I must journey to Grado. I just received word from Seth. In the south, within the empire, there has been an enormous landslide.”

Eirika:
“A landslide?”

Ephraim:
“Yes. Word is it was so great that whole cities were destroyed. They say the damage is so severe, the empire itself is in danger…”

Eirika:
“That’s…”

Ephraim:
“That’s why I must go to Grado. The people are saying this is Grado’s divine punishment… But these are the same citizens Lyon wanted nothing more than to protect. I cannot ignore their plight.”

Eirika:
“Yes, of course not. I will ride with you.”

Ephraim:
“No, you must remain in Renais. Our country is recovering, but we cannot rest easy. Someone must stay to protect the realm.

Eirika:
“Ephraim… I understand. I will take your place until you return. I will wait for you in Renais, Brother.

Eirika is much more introspective however and, as she said when she received Sieglinde, she chooses to face what happened head on and internalises her experiences, choosing to learn from her grief instead of seeking easy fixes. This completes her transformation from someone who wished everyone could just stop fighting, to one who gave up hope for Grado and Vigarde yet still believed in Lyon and finally to one willing to cut even her dear friend down if it meant doing the right thing, no matter how much it tore her apart to do so.

Hide contents

Ephraim:
“Aaah. You must be exhausted after the journey. Shall we rest, Eirika?”

Eirika:
“That would be nice… But first we must seal this away… This stone banished the Demon King. With such power… Do you suppose we could bring back Father and Lyon… That everyone who died in this dreadful war could be–“

Ephraim:
“Eirika.”

Eirika:
“I know, I know. Such things would be– I cannot wish for such things. No matter how it hurts, or rather because it hurts, we must learn to accept sorrow. We must take it into our hearts and tame our grief…

In fact, the twins decide to fulfill Lyon's dreams without any great power backing them, cementing this mentality of doing things the right way even if it's also the hard way, with Eirika hoping that they all live happily.

Hide contents

Ephraim:
“Yes. You see, I think I know. It was the reason for his studies. It’s why he wanted to know about the Sacred Stones–or rather the Fire Emblem. Let’s take Lyon’s dreams and fulfill them in his stead. We can do that, can’t we? Without relying on any mystic power?”

Eirika:
“You’re right, Brother, we can. Let us fulfill his dreams. As Lyon wanted, as we all want… So we may live in peace and joy.”

Endings

Sadly, Eirika's experiences took a toll on her as suggested by two of her endings which imply she wasn't truly happy again until after Renais was restored.

For example, her solo ending says making her people happy was what made her happy, such that her smile became a symbol of her people's wellbeing:

Hide contents

Eirika, Restoration Queen

Eirika returned to Renais and began the reconstruction effort with her brother, Ephraim. Seeing peace return to the lives of her people filled her with happiness. Her smile became a symbol of her people’s joy.

While her ending with Forde is even more explicit, saying she "toiled" to restore Renais and that for a time he thought her smile had been "lost forever":

Hide contents

Eirika and Forde

After the war, Eirika and Forde returned to Renais. Eirika spent her days toiling in the reconstruction of Renais, and he was her faithful supporter. His portrait of Eirika captured the smile he had thought lost forever.

To contrast this, her ending with Saleh instead emphasises her love of learning, saying she visited him as much as she could before permanently settling in Caer Pelyn. This means she had to give up any semblance of the Princess lifestyle because of it being a place where "princes and paupers are as one", but it also fits with how humble we know she is. She and Saleh are gifted with a daughter resembling Nada Kuya, a figure he taught her about in their Support, which is fitting as Eirika was both incredibly interested in her story and wanted to emulate in her own journey to boot. A poetic way to symbolise their relationship!

Hide contents

Eirika and Saleh

After the war, Eirika and Saleh returned to their respective homes. Eirika visited Caer Pelyn when she could. Eventually, she left Renais in the care of her brother and wed Saleh. Their daughter resembles the legendary Nada Kuya.

On the other side of the coin, Eirika's ending with Ephraim reaffirms how suited she is for her royal lifestyle instead. She helps rebuild Renais gives hope to those affected by the war, with it said that her support is what allowed Ephraim to become a successful king, again showing that Eirika herself has the capacity to rule their kingdom too.

Hide contents

Eirika and Ephraim

Busy days awaited Eirika and Ephraim as they struggled to rebuild Renais. Their work gave new hope to those ravaged by the war, and with Eirika’s constant help, Ephraim grew to be a trusted and honorable king.

Edited by DefyingFates

PART 5: SUPPORTS

Hide contents

While I will be giving my own takes on these conversations, u/eirikaisbae (great username, sadly not mine) wrote an excellent analysis of them on Reddit that I highly, highly recommend. Eirika has seven Support pairings and I will be looking at each in turn.

Ephraim

In their C Conversation, Ephraim tries to coddle her as he seems to have done when they were children, but she's having none of it and asserts her desire to be more independent and not just "his ward".

Hide contents

Ephraim: Eirika, are you all right?
Eirika: I am fine, Brother.
Ephraim: I’m right here, so please call me if you need anything. I’ll always be nearby.
Eirika: Yes, thank you. But you do understand that I am here to fight, don’t you? I cannot ask you to watch me constantly. I am your sister, not your ward.
Ephraim: Eirika…
Eirika: Wait, don’t… What are you–?
Ephraim: You looked a little upset… I thought I would stroke your face like I used to…
Eirika: Please stop it. You’re treating me like a child…

In their B Support, Eirika is practicing her swordplay when Ephraim offers advice that she's glad to hear despite his admittance that she's good enough now to give even him a challenge, showing both her humility and the same eagerness to learn that she showed to the culture of Caer Pelyn, not to mention the ability to properly handle constructive criticism.

Hide contents

Eirika: Yaa… Yaa!
Ephraim: Eirika, try taking a deeper step forward when you lunge. Otherwise, you might find it hard to dodge the counterthrust of a foe. That’s why you always want to end a duel with a single blow. Don’t give your opponent the chance to return the attack.
Eirika: Ah, Brother! Thank you for the instruction! I suppose I still have a lot to learn.
Ephraim: No, not at all! Rather, I am surprised at your rapid progress after such a short time! I think you would give me an excellent match were we to spar.

Right after however, Eirika admits she doesn't like fighting. Here we see again the difference between Eirika's rational mind and Ephraim's emotional one; Eirika applies logic to explain why conflict is so wasteful, yet Ephraim admits how much he enjoys it. However, instead of shaming Ephraim for this, Eirika asks only that he apply his love of battle to the greater good, not simply for himself.

Hide contents

Ephraim: I see… You’re a peaceful soul. All of this fighting… It must be hard on you.
Eirika: It is… I just pray that this fighting will end as swiftly as possible. No one desires this war. So why must it continue?
Ephraim: …Indeed. And yet there is fighting in every generation. In ancient times, our ancestors fought all manner of evil beast. But once the beasts were subdued, man then fought against fellow man… So we learned from Lyon.
Eirika: I know… But if men understand the futility of fighting, why do they do it? We could gain so much more by cooperation than by conquest.
Ephraim: You may be right… …But I think… I understand why.
Eirika: Why, Brother…?
Ephraim: I pray for peace to return to our fair Renais. I know that war brings only sorrow. And yet, somewhere in my heart… There is a lust for battle that cannot be stilled. It screams within me when I clutch this spear…
Eirika: Brother…
Ephraim: Perhaps it is because I am a man. Perhaps it is because I was raised to fight. I enjoy the practice of my art. I find pleasure in the battle victorious. And the stronger I become… The more strongly the call to arms sounds within my ears. I want to see how great is the skill that I have acquired. It may be crass and low, but I cannot deny it.
Eirika: Brother…
Ephraim: You would disdain me for this?
Eirika: No, I could never… But, Brother, listen. No matter why you fight… Please ensure that this fighting brings good to our people and to our kingdom.

Their A Conversation is much more introspective. Eirika and Ephraim reaffirm their goal to save Magvel and their dream of ruling Renais, but talking of their dream reminds them of Lyon. This conversation serves to highlight just how much has changed for Eirika and Ephraim both, and highlights just how far both of them have come since the start of the war. A consequence of this is that this also shows Eirika and Ephraim both at their most vulnerable as they promise to stick together moving forward, while also showing that both siblings are coming to terms with the future they thought was set in stone being anything but.

Hide contents

Eirika: Yes… You will be crowned king of Renais, and I will help you rebuild our land. We will make it a happy and prosperous country, free of conflict. Just as we three used to dream about…
Ephraim: We…three. Lyon was here with us, wasn’t he? We three had so many grand ideas for the futures of our lands.
Eirika: Yes… We talked about a lot. But Lyon…
Ephraim: ……
Eirika: Brother… Brother…please promise that you won’t ever leave me alone. Please…promise…
Ephraim: Of course. I would never leave you. Why would you ever think I could do something like that?

Seth

Eirika comes to check up on Seth as thanks for serving her for so long in their C Conversation, but admits that she's well aware that his wound from Valter's attack in the prologue has still not healed, showing her perceptiveness. Seth tries to deny this and Eirika simply asks that he keep himself safe for her sake at the very least.

Hide contents

Eirika: Seth.
Seth: What brings you, Princess?
Eirika: How fare you, Seth? Ever since the castle fell you have been protecting me, despite your own injuries…
Seth: Would that I could have served you better, my lady… You were not meant to see such things. But my wound has closed up, and it does not affect my lance arm…
Eirika: Wait. Show it to me. Look. The wound has closed, but it has not yet fully healed.
Seth: …… What made you think of this, my lady?
Eirika: Your fighting is as superb as ever, Seth. But when you raise your lance, I see a flicker of pain on your face, as if you were merely enduring it… But it only lasts a moment. Perhaps it is all just my imagination…
Seth: Your Highness, please put your mind at ease. My wound has healed. There is no reason to worry.
Eirika: I would that were so, Seth. Please do not overextend yourself. I beg this of you. Without you, I may not be able to continue this quest…

Eirika is again practicing her sword form in their B Support and yet again asks for instruction, this time asking Seth for sword training because her current skills are adapted from Ephraim's spear training. In other words, Ephraim could only teach her what he himself knew (how to use lances) and Eirika had to teach herself how to use swords based off of his lessons. As she explains to Seth, she wants to get stronger. Remember that even Ephraim thinks she would be a match for him at this point, which also shows her humility.

Hide contents

Eirika: Hrrngh… Hahh! What do you think?
Seth: Your sword arm is magnificent, my lady. You have improved yet again.
Eirika: Thank you. It is only because I know my brother will scold me if I do not practice every day. But I still am nowhere near your level of skill, Seth.
Seth: …My lady, I hardly think…
Eirika: Perhaps next time, you could spar with me and help me learn some technique? The basics I’ve learned from my brother all apply to skills with the spear. If I could learn the sword techniques of the Knights of Renais, then perhaps I could be even stronger. I would be of greater help to you on the battlefield.

Seth asks her to stay off the battlefield, but Eirika explains why she would go to such lengths and keep learning still. She can't stand others risking their lives for her, nor having to rely on them.

Hide contents

Seth: Yes, but… Princess Eirika, I think you should stay away from the front lines. You are of the royal family of Renais. Please leave the fighting to me…
Eirika: Still… How can I just watch from afar while others risk their lives for me? I cannot rely on you always. I must learn to protect myself. So please, continue to observe as I practice.

The start of their A Support implies Eirika has been making up excuses to train with Seth under the guise of looking out for his arm wound, showing she isn't above being proactive with her affections.

Hide contents

Eirika: Seth, do you have a moment? Could you help me practice a bit right now?
Seth: …Princess Eirika. Before I do, there is something I must say to you.
Eirika: Yes, what is it?
Seth: Please forgive my rudeness… Princess, I am merely your subject. Recently, you have been too close to me. It is not becoming of a noble of Renais to fraternize in this way with her subjects.
Eirika: Oh… But I… it’s just that your wound has not yet… I was merely…

Eirika admits that she felt something for Seth when they fled Renais, but that as royalty she can't afford to fraternise with knights. Marth faces the same dilemma in FE1, where he worries he can't be with Caeda because he might have to marry for politics instead of love, showing that - as with Lyon - she's willing to put her personal feelings aside for the greater good.

Hide contents

Eirika: That night… We fled from the soldiers of Grado… You held me tight, keeping me safe from the enemy’s blades… Perhaps…I did feel something more for you then. But…it was improper for a queen of Renais. And with my father dead, I suppose that is my station. I am a queen, and you are a knight in my service. If I do not keep this in mind, then I will never be able to rebuild our kingdom.

L'Arachel

It goes without saying given who's she talking to, but her Support with L'Arachel is among Eirika's most humourous interactions. Their C Support begins with L'Arachel turning up late to their meeting. Eirika tells her off at first - showing she isn't a pushover - but is smart enough to realise L'Arachel marches to the beat of her own drum and applies snark instead.

Hide contents

L’Arachel: Good day to you, Princess. What a funny thing that we should meet here! It is providence, I tell you!
Eirika: L’Arachel, it is NOT providence. It is not even a coincidence. We agreed to meet here when we planned out our battle strategy. Wait… Don’t tell me that you don’t remember that!
L’Arachel: We planned this? I suppose I simply don’t usually worry about such trifling details. And here we are, so I suppose that our plan must be working.
Eirika: I suppose you’re right.

L'Arachel tries to compliment Eirika's appearance twice but she never responds to it, using sarcasm the second time instead. This demonstrates both her humility and the possibility that she's uncomfortable with compliments, given she ignores those in the main story as well.

Hide contents

L’Arachel: Still, divine providence or not, isn’t it strange and wonderful? A beautiful princess traveling with such a ragged bunch as this… You could have told me much sooner, you know!
Eirika: My apologies. Necessity demanded that I conceal my identity at the time.
L’Arachel: Oh, it is no longer any worry. To be honest, I believe I had figured out your ruse from the very moment we met. I said to myself, “This lovely woman could only be of my own superior breeding.” After all, you could never truly fool a woman with my keen mind.
Eirika: My. How…impressive.

We see even more of Eirika's dry wit when L'Arachel asks if she could tell she was special at first glance too, to which Eirika simply replies...well, see for yourself!

Hide contents

L’Arachel: There is something about nobility that simply cannot be hidden from its kin! Why, Eirika, certainly you must have felt the same thing upon seeing me? You surely saw a refinement and grace of carriage surpassing that of common folk?
Eirika: Err… Aheh… Yes, why…the very first time I met you, I could see that you… You were very far from common.

Eirika was the one training in the last two B Supports we discussed, but here she walks in on L'Arachel training and offers to defend her if she ever needs help. Eirika's offer is more justified than Ephraim's and Seth's, considering L'Arachel is primarily a healer (and only an offensive mage after promoting). Also, whacking monsters with a staff would probably do as much damage to L'Arachel as she does to them. Eirika also doesn't ask L'Arachel to stay off the battlefield, showing that she acknowledges that she can already handle herself in battle.

Hide contents

L’Arachel: Take that! And that and that and that!
Eirika: L’Arachel? What are you doing?
L’Arachel: I’m practicing! I want to be prepared for when those fiends next show up. You never can tell where or when they’ll appear, after all. And if they were to appear and I were unable to prepare a magical attack… Well, I’d like to be ready to whack them with this staff of mine.
Eirika: Ahhh… Don’t you think that’s a bit, well, dangerous? Perhaps you should stop. If monsters appear when I am around, I promise I’ll come to your aid.
L’Arachel: That’s simply no good, Eirika. You know how those monsters can be. I insist that I be able to hold my own, relying on nothing but my skills.

The talk then turns to their parents. L'Arachel states how proud she is of hers for giving their lives in defence of Rausten and asks if Eirika feels the same of Fado. Averting the "Heroic Sacrifice" trope however, Eirika opts for the honest answer and admits she'd rather that he fled and survived, which is enough to crack L'Arachel's facade and have her admit the same. This shows that Eirika would rather be honest than uphold some lofty ideal and also how good she is at connecting with others. That she still mourns her father shows the strength of character she must have had to hope for an easy resolution with Grado at first, only throwing that hope aside when Novala showed her just how low Grado had sunk.

Hide contents

L’Arachel: Yes, but my parents are gone now. I’ve been told that they passed away when I was but an infant. They…gave their lives defending many helpless people.
Eirika: I’m so sorry.
L’Arachel: Oh, you needn’t be sad. I would not want for that. No, it’s wonderful that they gave their lives battling that filth. I was so young that I do not remember their faces, if I must be honest. However, that does not diminish the pride I feel for what they’ve done.
Eirika: Don’t you feel lonely at the loss of your parents?
L’Arachel
: No! Not at all! What do you take me for? Some kind of weakling?
Eirika: No, I see that you are strong indeed, L’Arachel.
L’Arachel: I should say so. But…would you not say that you are strong, too, Eirika? Your father stayed in his castle, fighting the forces of Grado. He had a noble death, don’t you think? Your father was a great man. You must be quite proud of him.
Eirika: Well…yes. He refused to take even one step in retreat from the advancing Grado soldiers. But still… I mean, I…I would have thought no less of him if he had fled. Even if he were no longer a brave king… Still… I would be happier if he were still alive.
L’Arachel
: Eirika… I do understand you. Everyone would tell me of my parents’ bravery, of their honor… But I will never see them. I will never know them for myself. Oh, what I would give if I could have met them…just once.
Eirika: L’Arachel…

Their A Support is a direct continuation of this. L'Arachel tries to backpedal on her moment of vulnerability and Eirika chooses to humour her, showing that she knows when to call someone out on a lie (their C Support) and when not to. To honour their bonding, L'Arachel gifts her a family heirloom and asks that she be allowed to visit Renais in exchange when the war is over. That L'Arachel talks normally for the entirety of this conversation shows just how personable Eirika is, given she was able to get past L'Arachel's fantastical barriers and talk to her real self - not an easy feat in the slightest!

Hide contents

L’Arachel: Eirika… Please hold for a moment.
Eirika: What is it, L’Arachel?
L’Arachel: About what we were discussing earlier… I would not want you to get the wrong idea. I was not saying I was lonely because my parents were dead. I am not that weak, you know? I have never even…cried…when thinking of my parents.
Eirika: I know, L’Arachel. You are a very strong person. We are lucky to have you with us.
L’Arachel: I hope you do not think this all too sudden, but… Here. Look at this.
Eirika: What’s this…?
L’Arachel: This ruby has been in Rausten for generations. It is a valuable gem. I would be honored if… I would like for you to have it.
Eirika: What? No, I couldn’t! It’s far too precious to accept…
L’Arachel: No, I mean it. Please, accept this as a gift. Here. I won’t allow you to refuse.
Eirika: L’Arachel… Thank you. I will treasure it. I so wish I had something to give you in return…
L’Arachel: You needn’t feel that way. Here, I’ve an idea… Once we’ve put an end to all the monstrosities in our lands… Invite me to Renais. Does this plan please you?
Eirika: Yes…certainly. Of course.
L’Arachel: Then we are agreed! Now, you had better not go dying in battle on me. Not until then, at any rate. Do I have your word?
Eirika: Yes…let us both live long enough to look back on this time. I am sure that, when we do look back, it will be as the best of friends.

Tana

Similar to the above, Tana's Support is another in which Eirika is the more mature one. Their C Conversation starts with a great example of this, with Tana coming by "just to chat" before admitting she feels inadequate, only for Eirika to comfort her by telling her how useful she is.

Hide contents

Tana: Ah, Eirika. Shall we ride together a while?
Eirika: Tana, you seem well. And yes, I’d appreciate the company.
Tana: I feel I should apologize. I’m afraid I haven’t been very much help to you, Eirika. To be honest, I’m still in training, and not quite battle-ready. Perhaps you’d fare better if I were not traveling with you…
Eirika: Tana, that’s not true at all. You’ve been a great help to us. I have seen you in action. I know what I’m talking about.
Tana: Thank you, Eirika. Heh… I feel so foolish now.

Tana then admits that she sees Eirika as an older sister despite them being the same age (something Eirika is embarrassed to hear) and that she even sees Eirika as someone to model herself after. Eirika thanks her for being around: considering how deep into the war they are - against a former ally no less - Tana's presence is therapeutic to her.

Hide contents

Tana: I look on you as a sister, Eirika. And yet, even though we’re the same age, you seem so much more mature.
Eirika: Hardly…
Tana: It is you who even gave me the courage to leave the castle. I wanted to be out on my own, like you, to pattern my life after yours. I’m simply glad that we are friends.
Eirika: Me too, Tana. I’m glad you came. You help to remind me of better times.

Eirika continues to be both perceptive and an older sister to Tana in their B Support, where she is the one who can understand Innes' harshness for what it is. That her first reaction to Tana's cry is to wonder if something happened to Innes also shows her mindset of "assume the worst" now that the war is in full swing.

Hide contents

Tana: Oh, Brother… I’m going to get you for this, Brother…
Eirika: What’s wrong, Tana? Has something happened to Innes?
Tana: My brother is so cruel! Listen to what he said to me! He told me that I was just in everyone’s way… He said I should just go back home to Frelia…
Eirika: Oh, dear…
Tana: I’m so depressed. He’s always like that, too. He just makes fun of me and insults me and teases me. I hate him so much!
Eirika: Tana, your brother has a strange way of showing his concern… But he IS concerned about you. You can see that, can’t you?
Tana: Yes, but…
Eirika: Even my brother gets angry at me when I put myself at risk, even for a good cause. Your brother is harsh and rough of speech, but he doesn’t want you to get hurt.

Eirika also offers to talk to Innes with her, as a parent or older sibling would, with Tana being jealous that Eirika is able to maintain such an airtight bond with her own brother.

Hide contents

Eirika: Why don’t we go speak with him later? I’ll be right beside you.
Tana: Ah…all right. But, Eirika… I still envy you.
Eirika: Me?
Tana: You and Ephraim as so close… You understand one another. It must be…so nice I wish my brother and I shared that kind of connection.
Eirika: Well, we are twins, you know. I think that makes us slightly different from normal siblings.

Last but not least, their A Conversation feels like a continuation of their C Support with Tana asking again if she's useful, but already more confident in herself. Eirika tells her to be proud of herself and that her presence alone gives her strength, which also ties into the notion that Tana sparks comforting memories in her.

Hide contents

Tana: Eirika, are you all right?
Eirika: I am, thank you, Tana. I always feel better when you’re around.
Tana: I’ve been wondering… Eirika, do you think I’ve grown stronger? I mean, stronger than when I was cooped up in the castle at least?
Eirika: Yes, of course you have.
Tana: Really?
Eirika: Tana, you should have more confidence in your abilities. If I had to rely on my own blade alone, I would not survive. But with you around, I know I can keep fighting.

We see Eirika's maturity again in how she brings up King Hayden and how upset he must be that Tana ran off to join her. As with Innes, Tana is worried about confronting someone and as before Eirika offers to go with her before she even gets the words out, again embodying the older sister Tana sees her as. That Eirika was the one to bring him up and says "we" should apologise - before Tana even asks for her help! - suggests Eirika is also feeling guilty about instigating Tana's flight in the first place.

Hide contents

Eirika: Sure, Tana. But first, we’ll have to apologize to King Hayden.
Tana: Oh… Father… I wonder if he’s still mad.
Eirika: Yes, you probably should.
Tana: Say, Eirika. Could you…
Eirika: Of course… I understand. You and I will speak to him together. Don’t you worry.

Innes

Eirika already had snark to spare for Innes in the main narrative (on top of saving him from his own mouth on multiple occasions), but she really lets him have it here. In their C Support, Innes declares he'll be protecting Eirika for a time as repayment for saving him in Carcino, which she attributes to his "fool pride". She accepts his offer though...only to point out that, as an archer, Innes would be behind her anyway, leaving him stunned in her wake. The best part about this is how she puts on airs when accepting (by calling him "Prince"), only to drop them when pointing out why his idea wouldn't work.

Hide contents

Innes: I was in a difficult situation at Carcino. I…must admit that I owe you much for your help that day.
Eirika: I… I see.
Innes: So now, I’ve decided to protect you in battle. I don’t know how to say this, but… It is unacceptable that I remain indebted to you.
Eirika: Oh, you and your fool pride–
Innes: Regardless, you can count on me. No arrow can reach all enemies, but I guarantee your safety. Will you accept my oath?
Eirika: Er… Sure. I accept. Thank you, Prince Innes.
Innes: Follow me, then.
Eirika: Uh, wait a moment, Innes. You’re an archer… Wouldn’t it make more sense if you stayed behind me?
Innes: ……

Their B Support is no different. Innes complains that she isn't staying back like he asked her to and she's clearly already fed up with him given her curt tone even before she snaps that she can't do anything about his ego.

Hide contents

Innes: …What are you doing?
Eirika: What is it now, Innes?
Innes: …I told you I was going to protect you.
Eirika: Right.
Innes: And yet, whenever an enemy shows himself, you rush in and attack! …Everyone’s going to think you’re the one protecting me.
Eirika: Well, I can’t help you with your image problems, Innes. You’re an archer, while I have to fight up close.

She still thanks him though, showing she understand that Innes is genuinely trying to help (despite his tsundere tendencies). However, Innes turns this into a conversation about Ephraim and storms off, implying he already has feelings for her at this point. It's also interesting that Eirika starts calling him a Prince again when trying to be polite, marking the difference between when she's being her default, sassy self and her Princess self.

Hide contents

Eirika: And I appreciate that. It’s nice to know that, when I cross swords with the enemy, you’re never far from me, with your bow close at hand.
Innes: Eirika… You are so kind… You’re so different from that… brother of yours.
Eirika: No, not as much as you think. Maybe you only see him as a warrior, as competition, but he is a fine and gentle man, capable of great compassion.
Innes: …If you say so. I suppose I cannot doubt it if it comes from your lips.
Eirika: Prince Innes, please, try to befriend my brother. I know he would want this as well. I don’t know why you dislike him. When I am alone with him, he is so kind.
Innes: Forgive me, but I can bear no more of this talk. When I see you look that way, I feel only jealousy for Ephraim.
Eirika: What–?
Innes: He is…a hard man to forgive. Perhaps there is only one way to settle this.
Eirika: Prince Innes…?

Innes proposes out of the blue in their A Support, which understandably shocks her. Before she can reply however (something she tries to do respectfully given the "Prince" moniker) he vows to defeat Ephraim first. Eirika rightfully calls him out on this and slips back into a casual tone, showing she's given up on reasoning with him.

Hide contents

Innes: This is no joke. I am absolutely serious. These feelings surprise me as well. I don’t know what to do. Fighting at your side all this time, the emotion just exploded within me. I love you. I could not bear to see you in the arms of another.
Eirika: P-Prince Innes! I… I…
Innes: No, Eirika. Do not answer now. I have not yet bested Ephraim. I have not earned the right to woo you.
Eirika: Wha–? Why are you bringing my brother into this?
Innes: With a man like him around, I can see why you show no interest in suitors. If I prove myself his superior, you will surely accept my hand. If I fail, I release any claim to your affection. But I swear it on the depth of my love that I will destroy that man. Eirika, I will expect your answer then. That’s all I have to say.
Eirika: Innes! What an…infuriating man! Why does he have to be so…

Forde

Time for more sass! Their C Support begins with Eirika teasing Forde for actually taking his job seriously for once. She plays dumb when he asks about her skirt, then pretends to flash him once he's forced to spell it out for her.

Hide contents

Forde: Aaaah…
Eirika: Forde, you’re looking in rare form today.
Forde: Ah, Princess! Yes, I’m trying not to overextend myself today. I see you’re looking well, too. Except for…
Eirika: Yes, Forde? What is it?
Forde: Well… I was just thinking about something… Princess, do you find that your armor leaves a bit too much…exposed?
Eirika: I beg your pardon?
Forde: You know, too exposed. Especially around the…er…midriff, if you will. Aren’t you worried that, in the heat of battle, it might, eh…
Eirika: Fly up like this?
Forde: Augh! Oh… Uh… You were…just joking. Wow. Don’t scare me like that!

She admits it was an "unladylike" thing to do, with the conversation moving onto preferences in armour. Eirika notices the many dents on Forde's and, while Forde tries to play them off as coming from random mishaps, Eirika cuts him off to thank him (and Kyle) for taking care of her brother, showing again how much she values the people around her and what they do as well as her ability to cut through people's facades and talk to their true selves.

Hide contents

Eirika: Oh, I’m sorry. That must have seemed rather unladylike. Honestly, though, I do rather like this armor. It’s very easy to move around in. I think that freedom of movement is far more important to me in combat.
Forde: Well, sure. I guess everyone has his own preference. I’ve gotten many long years of use from my armor.
Eirika: I can imagine. Now that I look at it, I can see all the scars from all your fights.
Forde: A knight’s greatest pride are the scars his armor bears for him. This battered shell of mine is the only true badge of valor… …The only real sign that I’ve weathered blade and arrow for king and country.
Eirika: Forde…
Forde: Oh, and… Well, in my case… Some of these dents are from me falling off my horse. Heh… Oh, and some come from falling asleep in my armor and rolling onto my weapons. Kind of a lot of them, actually. Heh…
Eirika: You stood by my brother when he and I were separated, didn’t you? I never got a chance to thank you.
Forde: Oh, it was nothing. Really. To be fair, Ephraim probably saved my hide more often than I his.
Eirika: I doubt that. My brother rushes into battle without thought for consequence. I think, if nothing else, you restrained his natural recklessness. I owe you a debt. Both you and Kyle.

The duo end this conversation with a formal exchange to top off Eirika's thanks, though considering the nature of what came before it's clear the two are just play-acting. This Support as a whole shows Eirika being much more relaxed around Forde than she was with Seth, as a matter of fact, showing she isn't afraid to be casual with the knights in her family's employ when she can.

Hide contents

Eirika: Forde, Renais thanks you. May you always stand beside us.
Forde: At your service, Princess.

Their B Support picks up where the above left off. Eirika thanks Forde for his help again. The two note that the fighting is intense, with Forde asking "my lady" to step back...only to then say he would gladly charge into a horde of arrows for her sake, establishing that despite the situation the two are still joking around with each other. Compare this to Seth, who really does want Eirika to stay back: it shows that Eirika's amicability makes her seem more like an equal to her other knights.

Hide contents

Forde: Princess Eirika! Good to see you.
Eirika: Ah, Forde. Yes, it’s good to have you fighting at my side again. It’s only because of your skill that I’m fighting here today.
Forde: Well, we all seem to be deep in this fight, milady…
Eirika: Yes, there’s no pulling back now.
Forde: So it would seem. My lady, leave the fighting to us soldiers. Even if there be an unholy hail of arrows, we would ride into them for your sake.
Eirika: Ha ha… Why, thank you, sir knight! …Say, Forde.

Eirika then asks what Forde's plans for after the war are. She jokes that taking naps sounds like him - suggesting that she understands him - but keeps prompting him until he admits he also paints. Because she understands him, she knows there's more to him than meets the eye.

Hide contents

Eirika: What will you do when all this fighting is over?
Forde: When the fighting is over? Hm… Good question. Well… I suppose I’ll return to Renais… and take a very, very long nap.
Eirika: That does sound like you. And then?
Forde: Then? I would like to return to my painting, I think.
Eirika: You paint?
Forde: Yes, milady. I paint. In the past, I’ve tried to be quiet about this little hobby of mine. However, quite a few of our group have unearthed my hidden secret.

She then talks him into painting a portrait of her despite his lack of faith in his own talents, showing that Eirika is not only good with words, but sneaky too!

Hide contents

Forde: Ah, I’d be honored. It’s hardly worthy of such an audience, but I’d be glad to show it to you.
Eirika: I look forward to it. Oh! And…
Forde: Yes?
Eirika: Would you ever consider… doing a portrait of me?
Forde: I’m sorry?
Eirika: Is that distasteful to you?
Forde: No! No… It’s just that I so rarely do portraits.
Eirika: So, it would be a bother?
Forde: Not at all! A bother? Really. This request comes from my princess. I’d be more than happy to.
Eirika: Thank you, Forde.

Their A Support has Forde realising he never asked Eirika what she would like to do when the war ends and Eirika seems surprised that he'd even bother to ask, again showing her humble side.

Hide contents

Forde: Princess Eirika.
Eirika: Forde.
Forde: You asked me earlier what I would do when all this fighting ended…
Eirika: I remember…
Forde: Well, I should have asked you, too. What will you do when this fighting ends?
Eirika: Me?
Forde: Yes.

As expressed in her solo ending, Eirika explains that she wants to restore Renais, but also bring happiness back to her people. We get to see her philosophy here, that Renais is nothing without its people, which further justifies the implication in her solo and Forde endings that it's only once her people are happy that Eirika herself is happy again.

Hide contents

Eirika: I… … I’d like to restore Renais and bring happiness back to her people.
Forde: …Princess Eirika…
Eirika: It is not enough that this war end…that we go home again. It’s not enough that my brother become king. These things aren’t enough to make a good country.
Forde: …
Eirika: People deserve happiness. They are the reason that we rule. Without the people, there can be no Renais.

Eirika gets self-conscious and tries to downplay her goal by calling it vague, which ties into her being the more realistic of the Renais twins. However, Forde tells her that wanting to help Renais' people is anything but and redoubles his own efforts to end the war, with a little joke thrown in at the end as their conversation so far has been getting a bit too serious for their liking.

Hide contents

Eirika: Yes, that is my dream now. It is an abstract goal, and perhaps a little vague, but…
Forde: No, not at all!
Eirika: How so?
Forde: I mean, rebuilding a country, now THAT is an abstract goal. But what you’ve described, that is a wonderful ambition. I’ve never been so proud to serve the kingdom of Renais.
Forde: I’ve come to a decision! I know I’ve already sworn an oath, but… I want to renew that vow. Please, let me help make your dream come true! I’ll do anything I can to help you…as long as it doesn’t require heavy lifting.

Eirika expresses how happy she is that Forde can keep smiling, showing how much she values small victories such as this (and foreshadowing her own sadness by the end of the war), to which Forde spells out just how much of an impact her own proactiveness has on him and the rest of the company.

Hide contents

Eirika: Thank you… I’m very grateful to you, Forde. It feels like this war might never end, and our people give in to despair quickly. But thanks to people like you, who smile in the face of sorrow, they can be saved.
Forde: Oh, no. You make too much of it. I’m nothing special. I simply cannot allow myself to worry when there’s fighting to be done. You’re the special one. You have such a profound effect on us all.
Eirika: …Me? How so?
Forde: It is because of you that we can go on. You and the prince are here, risking your lives for the cause. Your guidance, your leadership… It gives us a reason to live as well.

The two again end their exchange with a little joke - and a flirt this time that Eirika responds to - including an acknowledgement from Forde that Eirika talked a portrait out of him. Both promise to make Eirika's dream come true, something she obviously delights in after opening up to a friend like this.

Hide contents

Eirika: A reason…to live?
Forde: Yes… To restore that radiant smile to your own lovely face.
Eirika: Oh!
Forde: I fight to see you smile again, to drive the worry from your face. If I can do that, then I will be more than happy to paint your portrait.
Forde: We’ll do it together. Every day is another step closer to the end of war. One step closer to making your dream come true.
Eirika: …Agreed!

Saleh

This Support as a whole brings out Eirika's inquisitive side, while also being the only one where Eirika's nobility or ties to nobility never come up. Their C Conversation starts with her walking in on Saleh practicing Valega and right away we see her humility: she always refers to him as "Master Saleh" or even just "Master". She understands that Saleh is much more knowledgeable about the world than anyone else she knows and treats him accordingly. It could also be her respecting how, as Grandmother said, Caer Pelyn doesn't recognise royalty, which is something she accepted right away and others (read: Innes) didn't.

Hide contents

Eirika: Master Saleh!
Saleh: …
Eirika: Master?
Eirika: …
Saleh: … …Oh, I’m sorry, Princess Eirika.
Eirika: It’s all right. Were you…praying?
Saleh: Not exactly. It’s called Valega.
Eirika: Valega?
Saleh: Yes.

Her curious side comes next. She asks Saleh to explain it to her and...she's honest and admits she has no idea what he means. However, she also tells him how interesting it sounds and is thankful when Saleh agrees to explain it to her later.

Hide contents

Eirika: What is it? Is it something to do with Caer Pelyn’s cultural history?
Saleh: Yes, in a sense. Think of it as a kind of wish. A very pure wish. It is a wish that expands far beyond individual desire.
Eirika: I see. I don’t claim to understand, but it sounds very interesting. If you don’t mind, I’d like to hear more about it later.
Saleh: If you like.
Eirika: Yes, I would.

Their B Support continues after Saleh taught her about Valega. She's incredibly happy that she got to learn about it and thanks him for helping her understand the war itself and renewing her conviction. Naturally, Saleh is happy to hear this. That part of Valega involves letting go of the self ties into Eirika's arc in the main narrative as well, of giving up on Lyon and resolving to destroy Formortiss (the "unselfish wish").

Incidentally, Valega sounds a lot like ego death. This is likely unintentional, but if not how momentous ego death can be informs the impact Valega has on Eirika and Saleh.

Hide contents

Eirika: Master Saleh.
Saleh: Princess.
Eirika: What you were telling me about Valega was most enlightening. It sounds as though you align your desires with the world around you. By knowing the vastness of creation around you, you come to know yourself. And then, by transcending your selfish needs, you wish for a better world. What you told me, it helped me rediscover the importance of that unselfish wish. It’s the reason for the war we fight now… The dream of a better world. Because of your Valega, my own conviction was renewed.
Saleh: Ahhh. I’m glad to hear that.

Saleh goes on to tell Eirika that she reminds him of a Legendary Hero from Caer Pelyn, Nada Kuya. As before, Eirika is eager to learn this new story, but is shocked when Saleh compares them, showing her humility and shame at not being able to do anything when Renais Castle was invaded.

Hide contents

Saleh: … Princess Eirika, you remind me of the warrior princess, Nada Kuya.
Eirika: Nada Kuya?
Saleh: She’s one of Caer Pelyn’s ancient heroes.
Eirika: I’d like to hear about her.
Saleh: I’ve been told she was a strong woman, beautiful and proud. She spoke with the voice of nature, and she lived at one with the earth.
Eirika: But you called her a battle princess…?
Saleh: Well, in ancient times, Caer Pelyn was invaded by a foreign nation.
Eirika: Really?
Saleh: And leading the charge against the invaders was Nada Kuya. She carried a narrow sword made from a fang gifted to her by the dragonkin. With her dragon blade in her hand, she drove Caer Pelyn’s enemies away.
Eirika: Wow… Quite a story. And you think I–
Saleh: Yes. You remind me of her.
Eirika: No, no… When Grado invaded Renais, I was paralyzed. I couldn’t do anything. It is only because of the sacrifices of others that I could even escape.

His response is to point out that, whatever happened before, she's still made it this far with those same heroic qualities and tells her to become "the Nada Kuya of this age". She rises to the challenge: whatever her past regrets, she has too much on the line to not become the greatest warrior she possibly can and reclaim her home as Nada Kuya once did. She again praises Saleh's wisdom and demonstrates her humility, which he responds to with his own.

Hide contents

Saleh: But now, you are here. With your strength, courage, and dignity.
Eirika: Master Saleh…
Saleh: If you achieve victory, the legend will become reality. You will become the Nada Kuya of this age.
Eirika: I see… Yes, I see! I have a reason to fight. I have things to protect. I fight for the future. The future of Renais, the future of my people. Thank you, Master Saleh. Your stories always give me the courage to fight on.
Saleh: I’m glad to hear that.
Eirika: I pray your wisdom guides us through this war.
Saleh: I will do what I can.

Their A Support begins in the middle of a battle instead. Eirika is distracted by her memories of before the war and, instead of chastising her, Saleh lets her get what she needs to off her chest.

Hide contents

Eirika:
Saleh: … What troubles you, Princess Eirika?
Eirika: Oh, Master Saleh. No, nothing. My mind was somewhere else… Oh, and in the middle of a battle… I’m sorry.
Saleh: Don’t be sorry. I am not going to judge you for how you think or act.
Eirika: Thank you. … I was just remembering my home. I was thinking about the last time Renais was at peace.

She goes on to describe just how beautiful Renais was and how happy she was with Ephraim and Lyon, showing how much she loves her homeland and values her bond with the two of them. Saleh comforts her, but Eirika instead takes the opportunity to compliment Caer Pelyn's beauty as well despite its simplicity, showing that she can see good in all things, not just amazing vistas and esteemed lifestyles or anything nostalgic. This is further driven home when Saleh speaks of how his people live solely off the land and how Eirika understands what he means after all she's learned.

Hide contents

Eirika: There were the most beautiful mountains, the clearest rivers… The scent of wildflowers filled the air. The sky was clear and bright. This was before war scarred the hills and scorched the skies. It was a wonderful place. Every day was filled with hope and possibility. My brother and I would go hunting with Prince Lyon. …I would make lunches for us. Ephraim would tease, but Lyon was happy. I… I miss that time so very much.
Saleh: Princess Eirika… I give you my word that you will once again see the Renais you love restored.
Eirika: Master Saleh… I do hope so. But first, you and I must concentrate on the battle at hand. We must win. Thank you, Master Saleh. Your homeland, Caer Pelyn, was also a most beautiful place.
Saleh: We had nothing special. But, because of that, we had…everything.
Eirika: I didn’t understand that before. Now, I think I know what you mean.
Saleh: I am glad.

Finally, Eirika tells Saleh that she wants to see Caer Pelyn again and that she still wants to know more about it and his culture, something Saleh is happy to hear. He doesn't emote much, but by now Eirika has won him over with her sincerety and thus he gladly welcomes her.

Hide contents

Eirika: When we have to fight no more, please, let me visit you in Caer Pelyn. I would like to know more about your home. About Valega and Nada Kuya.
Saleh: You are welcome anytime. Caer Pelyn and I will welcome you with open arms.

And as we know from their paired ending, she loved seeing and learning about Caer Pelyn so much she eventually settled there!

PART 6: CLOSING THOUGHTS

Hide contents

Eirika is a lot stronger than people give her credit for. A lot of people pigeonhole her as being yet another "naive, dainty Princess," but this couldn't be further from the truth! She starts off innocent, yes, but very quickly she's shown how horrible war is and how rotten those opposing her are and, instead of buckling under that weight, hardens her heart and faces her battles head on.

She's quick thinking and a tactician such that allies and enemies alike admire her intellect, while also being good enough with a sword to cross blades with the continent's best despite being taught the wrong weapon and having to adapt her lessons to match her proficiencies. And all of this is because she applies herself. She's a quick study with enough knowledge to rule Renais despite never being groomed for it and an eager learner; be it of better swordplay, history or foreign cultures.

And she's funny! While she's too busy fighting for her life or fretting over her friends and family's wellbeing to sass it up 24/7, there are still plenty of times she gets to exercise her snark and dry wit, even crossing into crude humour with her upskirt prank with Forde. This tumblr post contains a few highlights.

But despite her many achievements, she's incredibly humble and is always thinking of those around her. Even after defeating Formortiss, she falls over herself trying to thank everyone who helped her get so far and thinks only of getting home to the people waiting for her at the very end, because she's also incredibly devoted to her homeland. Even before this though, she's willing to beg if it means convincing people to aid her brother instead of her which, as a Princess speaking to people from all walks of life, speaks volumes.

However, she still has a sharp tongue. In fact, her love for her friends and countrymen only make her more brutal towards those who hurt them. Whether you're a bandit or the Demon King himself, if you get on her bad side she'll chew you out and cut you down, just like that.

But she isn't perfect. She makes mistakes, but whatever she does is based on her own experiences and beliefs and, when she does make a mistake, she learns from and becomes a better person for it, never staying down for long and even surpassing her seasoned brother when it comes to making the tough decisions. She's also incredibly introspective, willing to take in the good experiences with the bad and learn from both. The result is someone who starts off imperfect, but fixes those flaws all by herself and becomes someone far more knowledgeable and capable by the end of her adventure.

Even though she never takes the crown of Renais, she still lives wholeheartedly for them and is only happy when they are. She's incredibly strong, both physically and mentally, yet also incredibly humble and kind. She can empathise with people of all ages and walks of life, forming bonds all across the continent.

Ultimately, Eirika is someone who began her story with nothing but ended it as a paragon of compassion and strength, loved by her people for her words and actions and deserving of every bit of praise she gets.

Finally, I want to talk about Heroes' Choose Your Legends. Eirika has always been in the Top 10 and right now she's the last GBA Lord as well as the last female Lord (with the obvious exception of Edelgard) left to win. I hope you agree now that there's more to Eirika than meets the eye and are willing to vote for her. Besides, we all want CYL to be more interesting than just a Three Houses alts banner, don't we? 😛

Bonus: Calling all Eirika fans!

Spoiler

@Alexmender, @Sunwoo, @Rose482, @Benice, @SockPuppet and feel free to invite anyone else you know who also likes her!

This is a very good summary of Eirika! It's always bothered me how people say that her desicion in ch. 18 was stupid, but as you reasoned, it's kind of to be expected.

IF SS ever gets a remake, I'd kind of like clarification on how Eirika actually feels about Lyon, since Ephraim's plot hinges on that. SInce you seem to have done more thinking about it than me, what do you think? In my playthrough, she spoke to him with a fondness beyond friendship, but I'm worse at interpreting things than Dozla.

Haven't posted on Serenes in awhile but I really really enjoyed that write up about Eirika, I've always liked her a good amount and felt people wrote her off a bit too much so I was glad to see a much closer look taken at her.

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

Sounds like Eirika gives her brother/Innes a hard time, nods along with L'Arachel, and probably would've married Lyon if he hadn't gone insane.

I mean honestly that's very likely, she holds Lyon on such a pillar even moreso than her brother or anyone else in the story. It's certainly what makes Lyon's downfall so tragic because he did have friends that loved him unconditionally.

Edited by SubwayBossEmmett

13 minutes ago, SubwayBossEmmett said:

Haven't posted on Serenes in awhile but I really really enjoyed that write up about Eirika, I've always liked her a good amount and felt people wrote her off a bit too much so I was glad to see a much closer look taken at her.

I mean honestly that's very likely, she holds Lyon on such a pillar even moreso that her brother or anyone else in the story. It's certainly what makes Lyon's downfall so tragic because he did have friends that loved him unconditionally.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. In that case, I'd like you to eventually read my Radiant Dawn character analysis as well once you have played the Tellius games. You might enjoy them as well. 

1 minute ago, Icelerate said:

I'm glad you enjoyed it. In that case, I'd like you to eventually read my Radiant Dawn character analysis as well once you have played the Tellius games. You might enjoy them as well. 

I'm at Ch 4-4 in RD, and me and my friends are saving for PoR. They get to play it before I do, so it may take me a while. I definitely will, however!

Edit: Whoops, you weren't talking to me. Apologies.

Edited by Benice

50 minutes ago, SubwayBossEmmett said:

I mean honestly that's very likely, she holds Lyon on such a pillar even moreso that her brother or anyone else in the story. It's certainly what makes Lyon's downfall so tragic because he did have friends that loved him unconditionally.

Given how often she verbally smacks Innes, it sounds like she sees him more like Ephraim than anything.  She's far more playful with Lyon.

34 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Given how often she verbally smacks Innes, it sounds like she sees him more like Ephraim than anything.  She's far more playful with Lyon.

must 

resist 

obvious

joke

1 hour ago, Icelerate said:

Yeah I haven't played anything from Tellius yet, but I've heard so many strong opinions from Radiant Dawn both good and bad I'm excited to try it out when I get around to them!

i dont know if i edit something if it will let someone know they've been quoted so i'll double post just this once

Just now, SubwayBossEmmett said:

Yeah I haven't played anything from Tellius yet, but I've heard so many strong opinions from Radiant Dawn both good and bad I'm excited to try it out when I get around to them!

i dont know if i edit something if it will let someone know they've been quoted so i'll double post just this once

Yes, it does.  But just this once, I'll merge the posts for you.  Don't do it again!

@eclipse I can't edit the second or third posts (I get as error saying "this comment has been moved or is too old to edit") even though I can still edit the first. Do you know why this is?

Until that's sorted, here's the up to date version of Chapter 21. Apologies, everyone!

Spoiler

Chapter 21: The Sacred Stones

The Chapter starts with another flashback where Eirika and Lyon say their goodbyes. As mentioned before, the irony of these flashbacks are tragic: Eirika believes that they will meet again due to being friends when in reality they meet as enemies, while the reason why Lyon never gave up his Sacred Stone studies was because of Eirika's faith in him. So her former naive self is indirectly responsible for everything that's happened.

Spoiler

(Flashback, Eirika and Lyon are in the garden in Grado)

Lyon:
“When tomorrow comes… you have to go home, don’t you…”

Eirika:
“Yes… Thank you for everything, Lyon. I’ll never forget the time I spent here.”

Lyon:
“Do you think we’ll see each other again…”

Eirika:
“Yes, of course. My brother and you and me. We are friends, after all. Aren’t we…”

Lyon:
“Eirika… Yep, you’re right. I hope your study of the Sacred Stones is fruitful. I know you’ll use the wisdom you glean to make your people happy.”

Lyon:
“Thank you, Eirika. You know, you’re the only reason I was able to save that girl. There were times when I wanted to give up, to admit failure. But you were always there. You were always encouraging me to succeed. That’s what kept me going. I just thought of you.”

Eirika:
“Lyon…”

Lyon:
“Eirika… I…I’ve always… I’m sorry… Forget what I was saying. I could never be like Ephraim…”

Eirika:
“Lyon, what do you–“

Lyon:
“I guess this is it, Eirika. Hope to see you again someday. I’m going to focus on my work and do my best until that day. My research will progress, and my discoveries will benefit us all. One day, I will be a prince worthy of you, and I will see you again.”

The present day segment also begins with an exchange between the two: Eirika and the real Lyon. The latter apologises for being weak and, despite everything her own weakness cost her, Eirika chooses to comfort him, telling him everyone has them. However, she is still determined to put him down.

Spoiler

Eirika:
“Lyon… It is you, isn’t it, Lyon…!”

Lyon:
“Yes… But I’m… I’m almost completely gone. Before I’m lost entirely, I want to apologize. I’m sorry, Eirika. This is all my fault. I was too weak…”

Eirika:
“You’re not to blame, Lyon. It was the Demon King. He was controlling you…”

Lyon:
“No, that’s not true, Eirika. When the Demon King reached into me from inside the Dark Stone…When he whispered he would see all my dreams and desires made true…I…I did not reject him. In the shadows of my heart, he saw jealousy…vanity…It was my weakness that put these emotions there, allowed them to thrive.”

Eirika:
“Everyone has weaknesses, Lyon. You’re not the only one. I do. I’m sure my brother does…Don’t hate yourself for having these feelings, please.”

Lyon:
“Thank you, Eirika. You were always…so kind. The Demon King will claim my flesh as a vessel for his resurrection. Before that can happen…I want you to kill me. I’m sorry, Eirika. I’m already-“

Eirika:
…..

Formortiss takes over, but we see the first change Eirika's experiences in Chapters 18 and 19 brought to her as she bluntly tells him to shut up. Despite Formortiss' taunting about her past misgivings, she plainly tells him that this time she can and will kill him, singlehandedly if she has to. Eirika isn't one for hyperbole, so this threat is doubly impressive. And remember Novala in Chapter 6? It speaks volumes that she now talks to the Demon King himself just as she did to a lowly bandit at the very beginning of her journey!

Hide contents

(Light dims slightly, Lyon’s speech bubble becomes black)

Evil Lyon:
“Oh, please…Are you done turning your failings into some sad epic of personal tragedy… It’s time we started then. I have a ritual to complete…and some nuisances to kill.”

Eirika:
Shut your mouth. I won’t allow you to desecrate Lyon’s body any further. You will not return to this world. I will stop you myself if I must.

Evil Lyon:
“Ah, is that so… And do you honestly think yourself capable, wench… You once prayed for this fool’s salvation. Can you bring yourself to kill him…”

Eirika:
I can and I will. I made a promise to Lyon, and I intend to honor it.

Her growth goes beyond how she treats Formortiss: it affects how she treats Lyon's demise too and shows that she learned more from the loss of Renais' Stone than Ephraim. While she is sad at his death but stays calm and accepts it, Ephraim instead starts rambling and clutching at straws for a way to save him despite being the one who told Eirika he was beyond saving in the first place.

Ultimately, while Eirika was unaccustomed to war when it broke out, in the end she's the one able to make the tough decisions, not her more experienced brother.

Hide contents

(Lyon falls on the ground, Eirika runs over to him, Ephraim stays a bit behind her)

Lyon:
…..

Eirika:
“Lyon!”

Ephraim:
“Be careful, Eirika!”

Eirika:
“It’s all right. He’s Lyon. Lyon…”

Lyon:
“Ei…Eirika…Is…that you…”

Eirika:
Yes, Lyon. It’s me.

Lyon:
“Eirika…You stopped me, didn’t you… I’m glad…”

Eirika:
Lyon…Lyon…

Lyon:
“Listen…Eirika… I never had the courage to tell you, but…I’ve always loved you…”

(Lyon dies)

Eirika:
“Lyon…”

Ephraim:
“…..”

To compare, here's Ephraim's version of Lyon's death:

Hide contents

(Battle ends, Lyon is lying on the ground)

Lyon:
“I guess that proves it. You’re too strong, Ephraim… I’ve always… admired…”

Ephraim:
“Lyon!”

Lyon:
“You know, Ephraim… I always wanted to be you. I wanted to be strong and handsome… With Eirika always at my side… That’s what I wanted to be. I had… I had nothing…”

Ephraim:
“Don’t be ridiculous, Lyon. Who was it that taught me history? Who covered for me when I stumbled? Didn’t you see how I looked up to you? I admired your compassion, your wisdom, your thoughtfulness….

Lyon:
“Oh, yeah… That seems so long ago… I did keep you out of trouble, didn’t I? Thanks for remembering. See? You’re thoughtful, too…”

Ephraim:
Lyon… Wait! Don’t close your eyes! I’m going to save you! I’ll find a way! I…

Lyon:
“No, don’t… Thanks, anyway. It was all my fault… Don’t look so sad. C’mon, Ephraim, smile. Like you used to…”

(Lyon dies)

Ephraim:
“…Lyon…”

Despite proving better at hardening her heart, Eirika still makes the more impassioned speech upon the revival of Formortiss' original form. Where Ephraim makes a bold speech, Eirika instead appeals to her friends as individuals and thus gives a much more personal rallying cry, saying she promised to return everyone home safely and that she intends to see that promise through.

Hide contents

Ephraim:
“I understand. Everyone! Listen to me! This is the final battle. If we can defeat this thing, it’s over. We face the king of demons, the monster that once ruled all Magvel. He’s more powerful than any one of us here. But we have something that beast will never have. We have community, friendship, love… We have all the virtues of humanity. That is our weapon. That is our strength. [...] I have no intention of seeing anyone else die!”

Eirika:
“I understand, L’Arachel. Listen, everyone. I can never repay you for all you’ve done so far. Now, please, one last time…Lend me your strength. To defeat the Demon King! To restore peace to our lands! To take the peace we all dream of and make it real! [...] I have no desire to make any more heartbreaking sacrifices. I promised we would all return safely, and return safely we shall!”

This extends to the dialogue (which is identical in both routes) after the final battle too. Ephraim chooses to be bold and talks about what "we" accomplished, while Eirika is humble and instead thanks her friends for what they did instead.

Hide contents

Eirika:
“That’s it. It’s over, isn’t it…”

L’Arachel:
“Yes. Evil has been imprisoned, locked away. The legends of old have been mirrored in our actions today.”

Innes:
“No, we’ve done far more than the legends ever told. We’ve destroyed the Demon King’s body. He can never come back.”

Eirika:
“That’s right. And we have you all to thank for it.”

Ephraim:
“And another thing… In that ancient battle, it took the might of the five heroes to do what we did. We did not have their extraordinary power to draw upon.”

Eirika:
“No, we didn’t. We conquered darkness and restored peace to the land, thanks to you. It was because you never gave in, you never stopped fighting. None of you, not once. Thank you…

And this difference between the two is emphasised once more in their final lines. Ephraim is proud and declares their victory, while Eirika instead thinks only of their friends back home and of returning to them, incidentally what she promised all her friends would be able to do just before.

Hide contents

Ephraim:
“…… The war is over. Victory is ours. Now we ride for home!”

Eirika:
“All right, let’s go home. Let’s go back to the people who are waiting for us…”

Let me know if I missed something too, @Icelerate!

9 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

@eclipse I can't edit the second or third posts (I get as error saying "this comment has been moved or is too old to edit") even though I can still edit the first. Do you know why this is?

This happens when there's too much text.  There's two ways around this:

1. Copy-paste the contents of the text into a text editor, then delete everything and put a one-line comment.  Make the changes in the text editor, paste back (and redo the spoiler tags), and hope it goes through.  If it doesn't, you're out of luck.

2. Link the post I quoted in the first post.

This is so well written <3 I can't imagine how much time it took, good thing you had some help. 

I'm so proud Eirikangel is my first lord. I love bragging about it to people who had different first lords : P 

1 hour ago, Rose482 said:

This is so well written ❤️ I can't imagine how much time it took, good thing you had some help. 

I'm so proud Eirikangel is my first lord. I love bragging about it to people who had different first lords : P 

D'aww, thank you so much!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! :3 :3

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

Copy-paste the contents of the text into a text editor, then delete everything and put a one-line comment.  Make the changes in the text editor, paste back (and redo the spoiler tags), and hope it goes through.  If it doesn't, you're out of luck.

So should I submit the one-line comment while make my changes, then replace it when I'm done?

3 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

So should I submit the one-line comment while make my changes, then replace it when I'm done?

Something like that.  The risk is that you won't be able to fit everything into the new text box, meaning that the entire flow of the thread will be much messier.

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

Something like that.  The risk is that you won't be able to fit everything into the new text box, meaning that the entire flow of the thread will be much messier.

So it's a gamble? Hmm...

Well, worst case scenario I can just put everything into the first post, right?

Thanks, I'll look into it!

10 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

So it's a gamble? Hmm...

Well, worst case scenario I can just put everything into the first post, right?

Thanks, I'll look into it!

REALLY depends on the length of things.  You may have to cut your words short to make things fit, and your browser may lag like crazy.

24 minutes ago, eclipse said:

and your browser may lag like crazy.

Oh, I've already experienced that xD

But I'll give it a shot. Wish me luck!

Update: It worked! I moved Act 3 to the first post, so the second is now just Act 4 (and hopefully this means if anything else comes up I can move Act 3 back to the second post too). Thanks again, @eclipse!

Edited by DefyingFates

29 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Oh, I've already experienced that xD

But I'll give it a shot. Wish me luck!

Update: It worked! I moved Act 3 to the first post, so the second is now just Act 4 (and hopefully this means if anything else comes up I can move Act 3 back to the second post too). Thanks again, @eclipse!

Act 2 and act 3 are the same. Where is the real act 3? 

50 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Act 2 and act 3 are the same. Where is the real act 3? 

enraged screeching sounds

Thanks for telling me! I had everything set up, I'm sure of it! And yet...

Anyway, I've gone back and added Act 3 properly now (and made a backup to boot), including the additions to Chapters 16 and 21. Let me know how it looks!