What if instead of Sinnoh remakes...we got Sinnoh SEQUELS?

Anacybele

Yeah, as in, GF could go the route of Black 2/White 2 here instead of straight up remakes of Diamond and Pearl. We'd get some new player characters and a new story set in the glorious Sinnoh region. I'd honestly absolutely love this even more than remakes. And I can see GF doing this because they seem to like being different lately.

We could start in a new town in that empty southern portion of the map. I'll put a picture of Sinnoh below to show what I'm talking about.

Sinnoh.png

See that empty area just past the Pal Park and below Mt. Coronet? It could include a couple new towns and areas like how B2W2 expanded Unova. The Pal Park itself isn't really necessary now either, so it could be ditched entirely for a town itself. This area is still fairly close to the original starting town of Twinleaf, but that as well as Sandgem Town could easily be reserved for the post-game.

That island to the northeast that serves as the Battle Park could be expanded too. We could also see an expanded Underground with more features and online added.

The existing routes on the Sinnoh map don't have to be the same as before either, they could have been changed up a bit over time. These sequels could take place years later like the Johto games do, so the experience feels fresh even though Sinnoh is a region we've been to before.

And perhaps we could battle Dawn and/or Lucas, the player characters of Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. Cynthia would probably still be the champion, but we could see a different E4 lineup (though I'd like Flint at least to stay XD).

And then who knows what GF could do with DLC for this one! Who else would love this idea? 😄

Edited by Anacybele

8 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

Sinnoh already almost made me quit Pokemon once, i am less than eager to repeat the experience.

Can we not have negativity? You're entitled to your opinion, but this thread is for those who do want a return to Sinnoh.

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

What would be the basis for the story?

I'm not sure, but I'm certain that something good is possible. I thought GF did a great job with B2W2's story, so I know they'd figure something out.

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.

What you just wish for is something that GameFreak cannot deliver with the amount of staffs they have at the moment and their annual businesses model that they have chosen to place upon themselves.

At best, you can expect a faithful remake of Sinoth on the Switch using the the animations from the 3DS games and with the engine and graphics of Sword and Shield. Let's sprinkle in a gimmicky mechanic that is never going to be use again in another generation just to be safe.

Aside of that, the story is the same, the gameplay is still the same and the routes are the exact same outside of how they look. Maybe a few improvements on a few mechanics like the tedious honey trees but that's it.

Expecting more would require more years in development to refine it and polish it.

Or I guess they can add missing features in DLC. If people are willing to spend more money on something that should already be in the base game like a Battle Frontier or more Pokémon.

Edited by Nym

Storywise, the easiest continuation would be Galactic trying to get the creation trio to bring Cyrus back, but I fear that that would be a little too similar to Gold/Silver's take on Rocket. They might want to instead distance themselves from the story of the original games and expand on Cresselia, Darkrai or Shaymin. A mega form for Cresseila and Darkrai would be competitively disastrous but interesting.

Gameplaywise, bring back mega forms and give them to the starters, Mismagius/Honchkrow, Luxray (Give it a dark typing for gods sake), Kricketune (I can imagine it having an electric typing and guitar), Drifblim (A bigger blimp), Sudowoodo (A bigger tree), Girafarig (idk, I'm open to ideas), and Octillery (maybe give it a poison typing).

A revamped contest and underground system would be practically guaranteed. The underground was one of the most fun parts of the game for me, and I can only imagine what they'll be able to do with it with a slightly more competent online service.

Bring back the Battle Frontier. That was the best postgame area by far, and Battle Factory is still fun.

To make things really interesting, maybe consider changing the elite four to a tournament like the anime featuring all of the elite 4, Cynthia, Dawn, Lucas, Riley, Cheryl and even the gym leaders. I think it'd encourage you to go back to the elite four and keep it interesting while you're inevitably grinding up to level 100. Also, please, please let me beat up Tobias and face Paul. I know they don't like crossing over with the anime much but I still feel cheated all these years after DPP ended. 

3 minutes ago, Nym said:

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.

What you just wish for is something that GameFreak cannot deliver with the amount of staffs they have at the moment and their annual businesses model that they have chosen to place upon themselves.

At best, you can expect a faithful remake of Sinoth on the Switch using the the animations from the 3DS games and with the engine and graphics of Sword and Shield. Let's sprinkle in a gimmicky mechanic that is never going to be use again in another generation just to be safe.

Aside of that, the story is the same, the gameplay is still the same and the routes are the exact same outside of how they look. Maybe a few improvements on a few mechanics like the tedious honey trees but that's it.

Expect more would require more years in developpment.

What did I say about negativity? Stop it.

Also, your opinion of GameFreak and Sword/Shield mean nothing. That doesn't mean Sinnoh sequels can't happen. Also, we're obviously not getting a Pokemon game this year since this year's been dedicated to the Sword/Shield DLC. So GF HAS to be giving multiple years to the actual next games.

4 minutes ago, Brave Lance said:

Storywise, the easiest continuation would be Galactic trying to get the creation trio to bring Cyrus back, but I fear that that would be a little too similar to Gold/Silver's take on Rocket. They might want to instead distance themselves from the story of the original games and expand on Cresselia, Darkrai or Shaymin. A mega form for Cresseila and Darkrai would be competitively disastrous but interesting.

Gameplaywise, bring back mega forms and give them to the starters, Mismagius/Honchkrow, Luxray (Give it a dark typing for gods sake), Kricketune (I can imagine it having an electric typing and guitar), Drifblim (A bigger blimp), Sudowoodo (A bigger tree), Girafarig (idk, I'm open to ideas), and Octillery (maybe give it a poison typing).

A revamped contest and underground system would be practically guaranteed. The underground was one of the most fun parts of the game for me, and I can only imagine what they'll be able to do with it with a slightly more competent online service.

Bring back the Battle Frontier. That was the best postgame area by far, and Battle Factory is still fun.

To make things really interesting, maybe consider changing the elite four to a tournament like the anime featuring all of the elite 4, Cynthia, Dawn, Lucas, Riley, Cheryl and even the gym leaders. I think it'd encourage you to go back to the elite four and keep it interesting while you're inevitably grinding up to level 100. Also, please, please let me beat up Tobias and face Paul. I know they don't like crossing over with the anime much but I still feel cheated all these years after DPP ended. 

I agree on the Battle Frontier. Bring it back!

Giving Mega evolutions to the Sinnoh starters is definitely an awesome idea too.

I also loved the Underground! But it does need some improvements. Like actual online and better or complete removal of the stupid boulders in the secret bases.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

What did I say about negativity? Stop it.

This is a public forum Ana, we won't always have the same opinion.

And I believe I have been very calm about my negativity (aka, not insulting anyone). I did write sarcastic comments about Game Freak but that's about it.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Also, your opinion of GameFreak and Sword/Shield mean nothing. That doesn't mean Sinnoh sequels can't happen. Also, we're obviously not getting a Pokemon game this year since this year's been dedicated to the Sword/Shield DLC. So GF HAS to be giving multiple years to the actual next games.

I never said the remakes wouldn't happen Ana. Read what I wrote.

What I did say is the vision of you have of the remake is impossible with what Game freak has in term of staffs and business model.

Also no, they don't. If we look how Sword and Shield was in development, half of them (and they aren't that big of a company somehow only 150 staffs I think) worked in Sword and Shield while the others worked on Little Hero and Animal Crossing. The staffs on Pokémon will probably work full time on the DLC part 1 and part 2.

32 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

Sinnoh already almost made me quit Pokemon once, i am less than eager to repeat the experience.

No one said you had to buy a theoretical remake.

---

This week has been hellish for the mods.  Don't make it any worse, please and thanks.

*insert why not both meme here*

While I'd love Sinnoh remakes, a sequel could be really interesting. I loved the Sinnoh games and while I feel that a remake with some QOL improvements would be perfectly fun I hadn't given much thought to a sequel. I agree with above that a game focusing more on the other legendaries (Darkrai especially, I love Darkrai) would be super cool. Instead of going into the reverse world you could go into a a couple of different dreamscapes shaped by Cresselia and Darkrai. Bonus points for including Oracion somewhere in there as it's one of my favorite pokemon songs ever made.

I’m sorry I just don’t see sequels working. The reason B2W2 worked was because the region was designed in a way that allowed for new areas to be easily added to the already existing map. It also allowed them to utilize areas that weren’t used in the main story of the original BW such as Undella town. It also fixed the linearity of the original BW. You can’t really do that with sinnoh with the way the region is layed out because 

1. Every town is already used within the main game aside from the post game islands.

2. Sinnoh’s way of progression is already slow and overly complex so adding more to it would only confuse people and create a bigger mess than it already is. Sinnoh as a region isn’t terribly designed but there’s a reason people call these games slow. It’s very easy to get lost in sinnoh and adding more locations would only exasperate that issue.

Also what would they even do storywise? B2W2 worked simply because base BW had a more complex story than your typical pokemon game and left a decent number of plot threads unanswered that allowed them to expand on further. Gen 4’s story is very barebones in comparison and is more complete a narrative so where could they even go with it?

2 minutes ago, Nym said:

This is a public forum Ana, we won't always have the same opinion.

That isn't my point. I know we won't have the same opinion.

2 minutes ago, Nym said:

What I did say is the vision of you have of the remake is impossible with what Game freak has in term of staffs and business model.

And I disagree. That is all. As eclipse said, the mods have had it rough this week and they don't need anymore problems.

Speaking of Pokemon music, Team Galactic Battle is my favorite in the series, so if Galactic does return, a remix of that theme is a MUST.

As someone who has never played a pokemon game, (that's probably a bad way to start my comment.) I don't see anything wrong with using the same region in a different time, (say, 150 years before/after) which could allow for the same continent to be used without carrying over the problems @Ottservia brought up. Using the Legend of Zelda series as an example, several of the games use the same location, although it has changed entirely. (I believe that twilight princess had a similar map to OoT? Don't quote me on that.) It really depends if the charm was in the lore and world, or in the characters and plot. It seems that Sinnoh had an ardurous design gameplay wise,  so if we saw a sequel, it would likely be set ina different time period.

10 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I’m sorry I just don’t see sequels working. The reason B2W2 worked was because the region was designed in a way that allowed for new areas to be easily added to the already existing map. It also allowed them to utilize areas that weren’t used in the main story of the original BW such as Undella town. It also fixed the linearity of the original BW. You can’t really do that with sinnoh with the way the region is layed out because 

1. Every town is already used within the main game aside from the post game islands.

2. Sinnoh’s way of progression is already slow and overly complex so adding more to it would only confuse people and create a bigger mess than it already is. Sinnoh as a region isn’t terribly designed but there’s a reason people call these games slow. It’s very easy to get lost in sinnoh and adding more locations would only exasperate that issue.

Also what would they even do storywise? B2W2 worked simply because base BW had a more complex story than your typical pokemon game and left a decent number of plot threads unanswered that allowed them to expand on further. Gen 4’s story is very barebones in comparison and is more complete a narrative so where could they even go with it?

Except there's one thing you either don't know or completely forgot. GF didn't actually design BW with sequels in mind because they said once that they weren't originally planning to do sequels for them. I don't think I can find where this was stated in now, but I definitely remember this.

Also:

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

As someone who has never played a pokemon game, (that's probably a bad way to start my comment.) I don't see anything wrong with using the same region in a different time, (say, 150 years before/after) which could allow for the same continent to be used without carrying over the problems @Ottservia brought up. Using the Legend of Zelda series as an example, several of the games use the same location, although it has changed entirely. (I believe that twilight princess had a similar map to OoT? Don't quote me on that.) It really depends if the charm was in the lore and world, or in the characters and plot. It seems that Sinnoh had an ardurous design gameplay wise,  so if we saw a sequel, it would likely be set ina different time period.

This post, yeah. Very good points here.

1 minute ago, Benice said:

Certain games might work with this angle (X/Y comes to mind), because the story touched on history.  I don't remember Sinnoh doing anything like that in its main story, so it would basically be "here's the region with a story that's barely connected to the rest of the games,", at best.

If it's a matter of Pokemon meddling (Cresselia/Darkrai come to mind), I think a Mystery Dungeon game would be better suited for it, since it's technically an issue between Pokemon.

Also, I thought the complaints about Sinnoh being slow were because of the battles being slowish. Not the actual story and adventure being slow. Honestly, I liked how long the main story was.

Of course, the battles wouldn't be slow now.

Edited by Anacybele

Here's an idea: Mega stones have been discovered in the underground, and you now can encounter other trainers in the underground looking for them. It'll bring a breath of fresh air to the underground while easily introducing the concept of mega evolution. It's always been a thing, but the mega stones in Sinnoh just happen to be deep underground. 

When the final tournament that replaces the elite four comes around, all the participants will have mega evolution at their disposal, and the strongest may even have more than one mega stone.

Edited by Brave Lance

Just now, Brave Lance said:

Here's an idea: Mega stones have been discovered in the underground, and you now can encounter other trainers in the underground looking for them. It'll bring a breath of fresh air to the underground while easily introducing the concept of mega evolution. It's always been a thing, but the mega stones in Sinnoh just happen to be deep underground. 

Hey, that could work! I like this idea. In fact, I can't think of a better place in Sinnoh to find Mega Stones besides any that people might just give to you.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:
12 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Except there's one thing you either don't know or completely forgot. GF didn't actually design BW with sequels in mind because they said once that they weren't originally planning to do sequels for them. I don't think I can find where this was stated in now, but I definitely remember this.

Even so my point about Sinnoh’s region layout being too complex and confusing still stands. Unova is quite literally a giant circle so adding new areas to spice things up is a relatively simple task. Sinnoh, with the way it’s structured, will only make adding any additional towns, cities, and routes harder because of how complex the region already is. Sinnoh is already a tough enough region to navigate through no need to make it any harder

23 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

That isn't my point. I know we won't have the same opinion.

Yes I know this is a thread about hopeful thoughts about the remake.

28 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

And I disagree. That is all. As eclipse said, the mods have had it rough this week and they don't need anymore problems.

You can disagree as much as you want. That's fine.

But expressing criticism is also fine as long as it stays a polite discussion between members. And that's exactly what I did: I said all of these ideas would be wonderful, but Gamefreak won't deliver on that. Even if they would.

17 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Even so my point about Sinnoh’s region layout being too complex and confusing still stands. Unova is quite literally a giant circle so adding new areas to spice things up is a relatively simple task. Sinnoh, with the way it’s structured, will only make adding any additional towns, cities, and routes harder because of how complex the region already is. Sinnoh is already a tough enough region to navigate through no need to make it any harder

I felt Unova was less interesting because it was just that giant circle though. Sinnoh being more complex made it better. And then adding even more to Sinnoh later? What a region! That'd be so awesome imo.

2 minutes ago, Nym said:

You can disagree as much as you want. That's fine.

But expressing criticism is also fine as long as it stays a polite discussion between members. And that's exactly what I did: I said all of these ideas would be wonderful, but Gamefreak won't deliver on that. Even if they would.

That's very fair, yes. Just keep everything civil and constructive.

47 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Can we not have negativity? You're entitled to your opinion, but this thread is for those who do want a return to Sinnoh.

23 minutes ago, eclipse said:

No one said you had to buy a theoretical remake.

---

This week has been hellish for the mods.  Don't make it any worse, please and thanks.

I did not want to sound so mean spirited, i am sorry. 

Anyway, i fail to see where to go to a continuation. Cyrus was too important in DPP to have Team Galactic whitout it, and if we want to have a new team, would it even feel like a sequel? Going the same route of gen 2 would work in theory, but in practice that direction made gen2 Team Rocket look uncharismatic and uninteresting. Or they can come up whit a reason why Cyrus is back, wich may be the best direction if they don't screw up. 

They can take advantage of the missed opportunity of Arceus, but giving it justice won't be an easy task, because they nees to top anything a leggendary ever did so far and still make it look like something we can reasonably tame. And they 100% need to create a mega/dynamax/whatever super mode that make it so broken that Mega rayquaza is balanced by comparisson. 

That said, the Sinnoh starters should have Gigantimax instead of mega evolutions in the current era. Now that i think about it Eternamax Arceus would be a sight to behold. 

22 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I felt Unova was less interesting because it was just that giant circle though. Sinnoh being more complex made it better. And then adding even more to Sinnoh later? What a region! That'd be so awesome imo.

You’re missing my point. Unova being overly simple and boring made it easy to add new areas to it without making it more complicated than it needed to be. Unova is simple so adding more to it and changing up the progression of things only helped alleviate the problems with that simplicity and made the region more interesting to explore through. Sinnoh on the other hand is already complex enough as it is with all its caves, dead ends, rivers, lakes, excessive number of towns, and unnecessary backtracking. Sinnoh is a bit of a mess and there’s no need to add any more to it. If anything, I feel sinnoh would benefit more from trimming the fat as it were and actually omitting some of the more unnecessary towns like Solaceon town or Celestic town because of how little they really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by Ottservia