Post a random fact people probably don't know! (And even if they did, they wouldn't care.)

Benice

The Catholic church had crusades against cats and if the black plague had not happened cats would have been completely wiped out in Europe.  They started this Crusade again right before the new world was discovered and that finally put an end to the cat crusades since the church focused  on the new world instead.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a more serious factoid, every human being that is not of purely African heritage has Neanderthal genetics. Mostly because modern humans originated in Africa, while the Neanderthals were everywhere else (and then some moved to the Americas in the Ice Age).

These genetics mostly manifest in lighter skin and the straightness and color of hair in Caucasian people and other ethnicities.

On another note, Neanderthals were not dumb like the connotations would mean. They had powerful weapons, had better sight than modern humans, and had made inventions of their own (like a powerful glue from birch that I forgot the name of).

11 minutes ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

As a more serious factoid, every human being that is not of purely African heritage has Neanderthal genetics. Mostly because modern humans originated in Africa, while the Neanderthals were everywhere else (and then some moved to the Americas in the Ice Age).

These genetics mostly manifest in lighter skin and the straightness and color of hair in Caucasian people and other ethnicities.

On another note, Neanderthals were not dumb like the connotations would mean. They had powerful weapons, had better sight than modern humans, and had made inventions of their own (like a powerful glue from birch that I forgot the name of).

Do I see another follower of either Bathroom readers or History magazine? 

9 hours ago, Light Strategist said:

If I really want to, I can scratch my head the way a dog would.
...and now I wait for the ridicule...

Bruh, I'm not even that flexible. That's a talent.

In related pointless funfacts: I can do a Shaft headtilt.

15 hours ago, Benice said:

If this is actually a little known fact, I'll be depressed. (I guess you could say I can't "Handel" it.)

That pun, though... XD
And I agree with you.

In the Middle Ages, people at large didn't actually die young. The only thing dragging down the average human lifespan during those times was the abundance of child soldiers. Many lived well beyond their 70s.

37 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

That pun, though... XD
And I agree with you.

In the Middle Ages, people at large didn't actually die young. The only thing dragging down the average human lifespan during those times was the abundance of child soldiers. Many lived well beyond their 70s.

And disease, I’m sure.

So, Galileo wasn’t too special. But I heard he outlived some of his students. Not too sure, it’s been while since I crossed the info.

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

Mostly disease. In england during the Tudor/ early Stuart age, If you lived past twenty, you'd probably live well past 50. Kids died young because they didn't have the resistance to the diseases, so occasionally what the parents would do is send the kid to thwir neighbour's if the neighbours had a disease. That way, the child would catch the disease and wouldn't have to worry about it if they survived. (This getting to be a cheerful cknversation, isn't it?)

21 hours ago, Benice said:

Mostly disease. In england during the Tudor/ early Stuart age, If you lived past twenty, you'd probably live well past 50. Kids died young because they didn't have the resistance to the diseases, so occasionally what the parents would do is send the kid to thwir neighbour's if the neighbours had a disease. That way, the child would catch the disease and wouldn't have to worry about it if they survived. (This getting to be a cheerful cknversation, isn't it?)

Absolutely! What could be more cheerful, I ask you?

Sarcasm aside, you and @Azure, Roundabouted Out are right. Disease had a lot to do with dragging down the average life expectancy, as well.

38 minutes ago, indigoasis said:

The mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.

I literwlly survived three  Months of people sying that repeatedly! WHYYYY?

Supercalifragilisticexpialodosious is a real word that existed before Mary Poppins. (I also guarantee I spelt it wrong.)

19 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

The shortened form of "You" (i.e. "U") that is common in Chat Rooms today was first used by none other than William Shakespeare.

I demand a primary source, this is knowledge I must have more fully.

The word "eyeball" also originates with Shakespeare. Shakespeare also wrote "I did your mom lol" showcasing his timeless literary talents.

8 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I demand a primary source, this is knowledge I must have more fully.

In Act V, Scene 1 of Love's Labour's Lost, in an exchange between Holofernes and Moth:

• Moth - The third of the five vowels, if you repeat them; or the fifth, if I.
  • Holofernes - I will repeat them,—a, e, i,—
  • Moth - The sheep: the other two concludes it,—o, u.
  • Source, you can find this exchange near line 1785

The way I'm reading it, it seems as though Moth is saying, "Oh, you." I'm not 100% sure though.

13 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Shakespeare also wrote "I did your mom lol" showcasing his timeless literary talents.

Haha, I remember reading that in Titus Andronicus. I think that may have also possibly been the first yo mama joke?

49 minutes ago, indigoasis said:

Haha, I remember reading that in Titus Andronicus. I think that may have also possibly been the first yo mama joke?

I think I remember reading somewhere that the first Your Mom joke was in Babylon? I can't remember where I read it, though.