Post a random fact people probably don't know! (And even if they did, they wouldn't care.)

Benice

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/17/2020 at 7:57 AM, DragonFlames said:

The painter Bob Ross made at least 403 paintings over the course of 31 seasons of his TV Show The Joy of Painting.

According to his own estimation, he painted twenty or thirty thousand pictures.

The paintings Bob Ross produced on show were not designed spontaneously. Bob Ross would produce a painting before the show and have it off camera as a reference. Each painting made on the show is an imitation of that practice painting.

7 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

Shooting the lock off of a door is a bad idea, as using a high powered gun would only create a lot of shrapnel while a less powerful one might have the bullet get buried harmlessly inside the lock.

SWAT teams and soldiers breach doors either with a small battering ram or a shotgun, and said shotgun is aimed at the doors hinges/sides instead of the lock.

If you want to get into infiltration, check out LockpickingLawyer on YouTube. He demonstrates incredible skill and sells the picking tool that BosnianBill and he made.

AnonymousSpeed gave me knowledge I didn't have before.

7 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

According to his own estimation, he painted twenty or thirty thousand pictures.

Namely this. That's a lot of pictures.

7 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

The paintings Bob Ross produced on show were not designed spontaneously. Bob Ross would produce a painting before the show and have it off camera as a reference. Each painting made on the show is an imitation of that practice painting.

I heard he painted each picture three times, one for reference and practice, one for the show, and then one for himself where he really took his time with it beyond the 30-minute restriction of each episode (which, in the earlier seasons, caused him some consternation sometimes, where he'd be either too quick or a little too slow).

There was strategy / buildorder for Protoss (all-in based on Immortal and Sentry units) in Starcraft 2 that is called the "WonWonWon" because...

1. the player with the by far best execution of that build was Won Lee-Sak "PartinG", the Big Boy
  2. he Won all the time with that build because people would see it coming and still lose
  3. it got him quite a bit of price money and the Korean currency is the Won
  4. it sounds like the "1-1-1" Terran build (one Barracks, one Factory, one Starport)

If that's too convoluted, you can also call it the Soul Train (choo-choo, motherfuckers) because PartinG claimed that his execution is so good because "[he] puts his soul into [his] plays".

22 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

There is at least one person in this very forum who does not know what 'smh' means/stands for.
That person's username starts with "D" and ends with "ragonFlames".

To prove this statement false, I shall present you with the information concerning what the term 'smh' means.

It does not stand for 'Stalin's Musical Harmony,' as you my have heard elsewhere, but rather, it stands for 'Shaking My Head,' or 'Shake My Head.'

I still think 'Stalin's Musical Harmony' is better term than the real term, but oh well.

At least one fact on this thread has been proven false by another person.

2 minutes ago, indigoasis said:

To prove this statement false, I shall present you with the information concerning what the term 'smh' means.

It does not stand for 'Stalin's Musical Harmony,' as you my have heard elsewhere, but rather, it stands for 'Shaking My Head,' or 'Shake My Head.'

I still think 'Stalin's Musical Harmony' is better term than the real term, but oh well.

This was entertaining as well as educating. Thanks!

8 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

At least one fact on this thread has been proven false by another person.

This was entertaining as well as educating. Thanks!

Haha, sure thing!

Before Abraham Lincoln was elected, there were only two presidents that did not own slaves. They were John Adams and John Quincy Adams.

Inspired by the grammatical discussion in the Unpopular Opinion thread: The German word for girl, "Mädchen", isn't female, but neuter gender.

Spoiler

Which does have its reason. The -chen suffix means that it's a diminutive, as in "little X", in this case "little maid", and those are always neuter in German. Der Baum -> Das Bäumchen. Die Blume -> Das Blümchen.

1 hour ago, ping said:

Inspired by the grammatical discussion in the Unpopular Opinion thread: The German word for girl, "Mädchen", isn't female, but neuter gender.

Reveal hidden contents

Which does have its reason. The -chen suffix means that it's a diminutive, as in "little X", in this case "little maid", and those are always neuter in German. Der Baum -> Das Bäumchen. Die Blume -> Das Blümchen.

I am fairly certain this is also the only word related to females to use das instead of die, correct me if I'm wrong though

1 hour ago, Muesli said:

I am fairly certain this is also the only word related to females to use das instead of die, correct me if I'm wrong though

Welllll, if we want to get technical, Fräulein (Miss, as in Miss Moneypenny), Weibchen (female animal), and Frauchen (pet mom, that is to say "the owner of the pet") follow the same logic :P:

And now I realize that "Weib" (archaic for woman, nowadays only used as a slur) is neuter, as well. Huh. No idea why that's the case.

11 minutes ago, ping said:

And now I realize that "Weib" (archaic for woman, nowadays only used as a slur) is neuter, as well. Huh. No idea why that's the case.

Making sense is not one of Germany's strong suits.

On the note of the word "Weib": in Middle High German, the word "wip" (=Weib) was used to indicate a women of common birth, while the word "frouwe" (=Frau) was used to indicate a woman of noble birth.
As ping said, nowadays, Weib is exclusively used as a slur, while Frau is used as the word for "woman" in general.