Post a random fact people probably don't know! (And even if they did, they wouldn't care.)

Benice

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Fantasy 4X game Master of Magic got its first official expansion, Caster of Magic, just two months ago. The original game is from 1994.

Spoiler

The IP got bought by another publisher last year, which made (and still makes) people hopeful that there will finally be a MoM2 on the way. The expansion was initially an insanely ambitious fan mod of the game, now made official. (source)

On 4/30/2020 at 12:24 PM, Espurrhoodie said:

In the Oosawa manga, there is a panel where Sigurd has a sword-shaped marking on his arm. This is the only time this marking is seen.

Screenshot_20200428-121653.jpg

It's been a while since I read Gen 1 of the manga, but that's a really neat detail! It makes you wonder if the other Major Holy Blood holders bear markings as well. (It also opens a whole can of worms concerning crests, since crests were based on the Holy Blood mechanics of FE4.)

On 4/30/2020 at 11:14 AM, ping said:

The Fantasy 4X game Master of Magic got its first official expansion, Caster of Magic, just two months ago. The original game is from 1994.

Positively fascinating.

Tolkien did not do excessive world building for Lord of the Rings. His actual interest and hobby was in constructing the lore of Middle Earth, a project of many years which can be traced back to his boyhood days. The Lord of the Rings story was merely a particular episode of the fiction history Tolkien liked making so much which he happened to turn into a popular fantasy book. The world proceeded the story, and so cannot be said to be built for it.

On 4/29/2020 at 6:50 AM, Muesli said:

Random Fact: Finland in fact, does exist, despite what the media tells you

Wait what? I did not know that.

The words "truly I tell you" were said 26 times in the bible.

The original grinning "Trollface" was initially made to mock the troll: It's how he wants to appear to others, as opposed to the raging idiot that he actually is.

A very popular meme in the Civilization community is that Mohandas Gandhi (who is a playable leader in all six Civ games) is actually a bloodthirsty, nuke-happy bastard.

This goes back to the very first game, despite AI Gandhi being one of the most peaceful leaders there with an "Aggressiveness" value of one on a scale from 1 to 10. However, if India adopted Democracy (and they usually would, since Democracy is the best goverment if you don't plan to go to war), their Aggressiveness would be reduced by two points - which would cause an integer underflow, so now Gandhi's Aggressiveness would be two hundred and fifty-five (2^8 - 1). Still on a scale from 1 to 10. The "Nuke" part comes from a hostile Civ1 AI's tendency to tell you that their words are BACKED WITH NUCLEAR WEAPONS.

This meme even found its way into the last two games of the series: In Civ5, Gandhi is the only leader whose willingness both to build and to actually use nukes is always maxed out (this being extra unusual because those values are usually slightly randomized), while Civ6!Gandhi has a 70% chance of having the "Nuke Happy" Agenda (guess what that does). Other than that, he's just as nice and pacifist as you'd expect. He'll just rush to Fission tech as soon as possible, build a million nukes and rain bloody hellfire on you if you declare on him.

I actually read Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe for the first time ever and enjoyed it a great deal.  Happy to see it was the case since I wasn't very impressed with Out of the Silent Planet.

22 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Everything has gone to shit after Cats got released.

Wut.

Just now, Espurrhoodie said:

Has anything normal happened since Cats was released?

My I.Q remains at three.