Post a random fact people probably don't know! (And even if they did, they wouldn't care.)

Benice

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/5/2020 at 3:44 AM, ping said:

Are you sure? Ctrl-F doesn't yield anything for either "nuke" or "nuc" on Civ4!Gandhi's wiki page and I've played Civ4 quite a lot and never noticed any nuclear tendencies from Gandhi. Then again, my Civ4 games usually ended with Rifles.

Actually, googling "civ2 leader personalities" gave me this:

(emphasis by me)

Civ4 is also the most meme-embracing of the Civ games, so it'd be very weird if it didn't have nuclear Ghandi and Civ5 did. I didn't find any nuke-related personality values on the page either, unfortunately, but I also can't verify the complete accuracy of the page.

I was unfortunately not able to find leader personality values for Civ2 or Civ3, comfirmed or otherwise. I did find this article indicating Ghandi had nuclear tendencies in Civ2, but it's also a personal experience article.

On 5/7/2020 at 9:19 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Or, those who think memes can become overdone and beaten to death more times than there have been humans to ever exist. Nuclear Gandhi would appear to fall into this camp, alongside Belhalla Barbecue memery.

Or, you just have a poor sense of humor and low respect for tradition.

On 5/8/2020 at 7:22 AM, The Roger The Paladin said:

To be fair the things are closely related to Atropa Belladonna, or as it's more commonly known "Deadly Nightshade"... which is extremely toxic.

Indeed. It was not until desperate peasants began eating them that people realized the fruit was okay.

3 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Indeed. It was not until desperate peasants began eating them that people realized the fruit was okay.

Though poetically, tomatoes are toxic to dogs. Also tomato leaves and unripe tomatoes are actually toxic depending how much you eat. Though why you'd eat leaves or unripe tomatoes in the first place I don't know.

1 minute ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Though poetically, tomatoes are toxic to dogs. Also tomato leaves and unripe tomatoes are actually toxic depending how much you eat. Though why you'd eat leaves or unripe tomatoes in the first place I don't know.

When you try to make fried green tomatoes but they're too green and you die.

Lobster was also a peasant dish for a long time, showing that rarity determines classiness. Even today people can't think of much to do with Lobster besides drown it in butter.

Rhubarb, a common addition to fruit pies, is poisonous. In the leaves. The stalks, which look like blood red celery, are what we eat.

1 minute ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

When you try to make fried green tomatoes but they're too green and you die.

I'm fairly sure frying them helps remove the tomatine, which is what makes them toxic in the first place. Either way, it'd make a hell of a memeball.

2 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Rhubarb, a common addition to fruit pies, is poisonous. In the leaves. The stalks, which look like blood red celery, are what we eat.

I thought that was pretty common knowledge. But maybe it's because that was part of high-school chemistry for me because of an experiment involving rhubarb. I forget what that was about. Maybe it was just a trick to get the students to make poison for later use.

4 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Lobster was also a peasant dish for a long time, showing that rarity determines classiness. Even today people can't think of much to do with Lobster besides drown it in butter.

I had a pizza with lobster as a topping once when the pizzas were all on sale. It was weird, because the lobster in question was whole (barring the fact it was cut in half)... in the middle of the pizza as opposed to being a bunch of pieces split all over the thing. Rich people are weird.

16 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Civ4 is also the most meme-embracing of the Civ games, so it'd be very weird if it didn't have nuclear Ghandi and Civ5 did. I didn't find any nuke-related personality values on the page either, unfortunately, but I also can't verify the complete accuracy of the page.

I was unfortunately not able to find leader personality values for Civ2 or Civ3, comfirmed or otherwise. I did find this article indicating Ghandi had nuclear tendencies in Civ2, but it's also a personal experience article.

That LP I linked earlier says that Civ2 leaders (or rather civs, it doesn't matter if it's the male or female leader) only have three scales with three values: Aggressive/Neutral/Rationalist; Militaristic/Neutral/Civilized and Expansionist/Neutral/Perfectionist. Except that everyone in Civ2 is a murderous bastard and will nuke the hell out of you when at war.

Some Guy On An Internet Forum isn't the most trustworthy source there is, but the National Post author didn't reference the Civ1 underflow bug at all, and I definitely recall every AI being permanently hostile towards me in the later ages, so I might rather believe the guy who crushes the Deity AI. ;):

--

The German term "Muscha" ("Muss ja", "[it] has to, after all") is shorthand for "I'm not doing particularly well at this moment, but I don't want to talk about it, so I'd appreciate if you didn't inquire any further".

On 5/11/2020 at 5:57 PM, Sir Wolfram of Vallora said:

We have lost more Egyptian Mummies to Renaissance era kings eating them as dust to cure diseases than to graverobbers.

The earliest known named pet cat lived over 4000 years ago in ancient Egypt, its name was Nedjem, which translates to "sweetie".

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

A pharaoh once lathered his slaves in honey to keep bugs away from him.

Top 10 most brutal anime deaths.

On the topic of egypt, there was a pharaoh who ruled for around 96 years and died at the age of 100. (Pepy II)

On 5/13/2020 at 3:12 PM, twilitfalchion said:

A pharaoh once lathered his slaves in honey to keep bugs away from him.

C'mon, you gotta tell us which ones!

It has been claimed by some that the ancient Egyptians had batteries, but this is incorrect. Firstly, the artifacts these claims refer to (the Baghdad Batteries) are from the 3rd century AD, and also Iraq. Secondly, the artifacts in question are merely some of the components necessary for a galvanic cell- a pot, a copper tube, and an iron rod. The exact purpose of these items is unknown, they were most likely used to house scrolls, and there is no way that electrical current was generated to perform any actual work.

Back in the late 70s, there was a 50 episode anime adaptation of Anne of Green Gables that received an English dub produced in South Africa that has never received an official video release and as such qualified as lost media until Kontor New Media uploaded 49 of them while someone else uploaded the remaining lost on in 2017.

Violet eyes actually exist. But no one can be born with them. A mutation known as Fuchs' heterochromic iridocyclitis (a rare condition that causes inflammation in the iris) is what makes them violet. It may be light or dark depending on the melanin on the iris.

American-English actress Elizabeth Taylor (most famous for her role as the titular character of the movie Cleopatra) is one such person to have this condition.

So, in short, people with this condition may need to spend less money on cosplaying purple-eyed characters such as Edelgard and Yuri from FE: Three Houses.

On 5/14/2020 at 11:24 PM, Emperor_Siegfried said:

Back in the late 70s, there was a 50 episode anime adaptation of Anne of Green Gables that received an English dub produced in South Africa that has never received an official video release and as such qualified as lost media until Kontor New Media uploaded 49 of them while someone else uploaded the remaining lost on in 2017.

Related to this, Hayao Miyazaki (yes, that Miyazaki) did the scene setting and layout of that anime, although he left after 15 episodes.

In another bit of Ghibli-related trivia, Studio Ghibli did the in-between animation frames for the FE3 OVA. ADV Films misread the katakana in the credits and credited them as Studio Jiburi, however.

Crunchyroll was apparently once a video sharing website where a guy named Killrodx was the manager of a Xenogears fandub in its entirety.  At least it seems like the first 8 or so episodes were shared there anyway since those seem to be the ones with the crunchyroll watermark on them.