Jump to content
Von Ithipathachai

Just how popular is Edelgard?

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I wouldn't be too surprised about Lysithea being popular. She's as close to a loli that someone who's legal can get after the timeskip, she's a tsundere and a good unit while also having some special gimmicks like two crests. 

Loli's, tsundere's, good units and plot important characters are all popular so a combination of those would naturally be popular too. The only thing that might bring her down is that she's technically a Ricken but she tends to get a pass on that one. 

Oh I wasn’t surprised that she’s popular. She’s a great character, I’m just surprised she’s number 2 in CYL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Geenoble said:

Oh I wasn’t surprised that she’s popular. She’s a great character, I’m just surprised she’s number 2 in CYL.

Japan and a good amount in the west loves her alot same for Bernie and no NOT because what the other guy says why they're both great characters with the former being one of the strongest unit in the game and strong mage in FE in general anything little is bonus and just that. But we're talking about Edelgard overall not them. Edelgard just is despite a bunch of people not into how she's portrayed simply being a female lord/anti hero/antagonist in other cases it just makes her a unique enigma.

Edited by Mage Goddess Lysithea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to think about the fact that those polls are a fraction of the actual fandom. You should take them more as a loose guide than anything. Which has remained true for the most part.

Despite their overall placing, top 10 characters have been the 3 lords, Byleth, Lysithea, Felix, Bernadetta, Sylvain, Dorothea, etc. They are all in the top 20 so far for CYL.

Edelgard is still really popular, and understandably so, she's a well written character who is a bit different from your typical lord in the series. She's also got a good design, decent supports especially with Byleth which helps a lot. See Lysithea for an example on how much a good support with the avatar can help, and you got a character that's obviously going to be pretty popular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's safe to say all three lords from this game are extremely popular overall, judging by the overall picture being painted by polls (including CYL, which has the largest sample size yet), presence of fanart, etc.

This makes me happy, since IMO all three are well-written characters and help make this game the great work that it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d say that Edelgard is a very popular character but because of her actions in the story the position on her are quite divided. It’s obvious that she is a very well written character with motive and personality that can’t simply be described as good or evil. But it’s precisely that which divided the community on her. Though over all, those that like her are more than those that hate her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised you find it surprising, becasue to me it's not at all.

She is controversial, but as in Heroes you can't vote for the characters so they don't get in, then it doesn't really matter how many haters she has as they can't really vote to keep her out of the game. Or in this case, they can't vote to lower her spot in the CYL poll.

On 1/25/2020 at 1:02 AM, omegaxis1 said:

It's always bothered me how people took those Dream poll results a little too seriously. Believe it or not, Dimitri and most of the BL males are what someone would call "otome" bait, being characters in otome games. They are designed to be liked by the female audience. Those Dream poll results had a gender ratio where the males were very much outnumbered by the females. So obviously, Dimitri was going to top those polls.

 

I see someone is still as obsessed with Dimitri as ever. 

And it's funny you try to make it seems like Edelgard didn't do well in those Dream polls, becasue she did, but I know you're just triggered Dimitri got a higher spot than her. 

Oh, and believe it or not, but the Heroes poll also doesn't reflect the whole FE fan base, but something tells me you won't think about it like that as long as Edelgard is 1st on the girls side, so I'm calling you out on your hypocrisy.

Edited by Ashe02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ashe02 said:

I see someone is still as obsessed with Dimitri as ever. 

And it's funny you try to make it seems like Edelgard didn't do well in those Dream polls, becasue she did, but I know you're just triggered Dimitri got a higher spot than her. 

Oh, and believe it or not, but the Heroes poll also doesn't reflect the whole FE fan base, but something tells me you won't think about it like that as long as Edelgard is 1st on the girls side, so I'm calling you out on your hypocrisy.

Okay. I'm obviously not denying that Edelgard also did well. This actually just proves the case that Edelgard is even popular among girls as well. 

And yeah, I know that the Heroes poll does not reflect the entire fanbase. It'd be silly to say that it does. 

I'm just calling it for what it up. Feel free to call m a hypocrite, cause I don't deny I have had my own moments of hypocrisy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that Edelgard is popular; after all she is the "main" lord of Three Houses. That alone makes a character popular. Will she still have lasting popularity is yet to be seem. Who knows if IS  will attempts at another Edelgard esque  characters in the future. Or how much focus she will have in upcoming spinoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

I think that Edelgard is popular; after all she is the "main" lord of Three Houses. That alone makes a character popular. Will she still have lasting popularity is yet to be seem. Who knows if IS  will attempts at another Edelgard esque  characters in the future. Or how much focus she will have in upcoming spinoffs.

Being the main character in a successful game does not guarantee a character's popularity; I'm sure many of us can think of a character that, despite being the main character, is actually one of the less popular characters in that piece of media. Your conclusion is correct, though; Edelgard does seem to be popular. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Being the main character in a successful game does not guarantee a character's popularity; I'm sure many of us can think of a character that, despite being the main character, is actually one of the less popular characters in that piece of media. Your conclusion is correct, though; Edelgard does seem to be popular. 

Any examples of this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:

Any examples of this?

Off the top of my head, no. But, that's only because I'm not really all that good at knowing what's popular, and my mind is mostly focused on a test I have. I can think of some potential examples, though I ask for verification for each of them:

  • Link is generally a fairly popular character, but the Twilight Princess version of him tends to not be well-remembered (outside from turning into a wolf) compared to stand-out characters such as Midna, Zant, and... Agatha for some reason. 
  • I haven't played Eliwood's game, but out of him, Lyn and Hector, isn't he usually the least popular of the three despite being the main one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Off the top of my head, no. But, that's only because I'm not really all that good at knowing what's popular, and my mind is mostly focused on a test I have. I can think of some potential examples, though I ask for verification for each of them:

  • Link is generally a fairly popular character, but the Twilight Princess version of him tends to not be well-remembered (outside from turning into a wolf) compared to stand-out characters such as Midna, Zant, and... Agatha for some reason. 
  • I haven't played Eliwood's game, but out of him, Lyn and Hector, isn't he usually the least popular of the three despite being the main one?

Eliwood is still fairly popular and won the CYL last year. Being not as popular as Lyn or Hector didn't change that as a main lord, he was still fairly popular. Edelgard is no different. She's still going to be very popular, especially since she's got a powerful presence throughout the entire game. The game is literally driven by her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Off the top of my head, no. But, that's only because I'm not really all that good at knowing what's popular, and my mind is mostly focused on a test I have. I can think of some potential examples, though I ask for verification for each of them:

  • Link is generally a fairly popular character, but the Twilight Princess version of him tends to not be well-remembered (outside from turning into a wolf) compared to stand-out characters such as Midna, Zant, and... Agatha for some reason. 
  • I haven't played Eliwood's game, but out of him, Lyn and Hector, isn't he usually the least popular of the three despite being the main one?

Link is also a silent self-insert protagonist for the most part. It's only natural that he's going to be less stand-out vs someone like Midna who actively develops and grows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Axel987 said:

Link is also a silent self-insert protagonist for the most part. It's only natural that he's going to be less stand-out vs someone like Midna who actively develops and grows.

True. However, in a number of Zelda games, he has managed to shine:

  • Wind Waker Link obviously became very popular thanks to, among other things, his expressiveness. Similar for Spirit Tracks' Toon Link. 
  • Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask Link for almost opposite reasons as Toon Link.

Anyway, my original point was simply that being a main character is no guarantee of popularity. It does increase the likelihood, but it is no guarantee. I'm pretty sure that a fair number of counterexamples exist; I'm just having trouble remembering some off the top of my head (that's kind-of the problem; in order to prove my claim to be true, I need to remember main characters that were not very popular compared to some other characters in their story, and such examples are going to be hard to remember for obvious reasons). 

4 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Eliwood is still fairly popular and won the CYL last year. Being not as popular as Lyn or Hector didn't change that as a main lord, he was still fairly popular. 

Okay; thanks for the clarification. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PeonyofLeosa Dreamworld said:

Edelgard is #1 for CYL4

Well that was an easy win. 😶

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the three house leaders (and especially Lysithea since she isn't anywhere in the game yet).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure their timeskip forms will be fast-tracked for the game at minimum.

Dorothea got 7 for the girls, so I'm thrilled. I've only seen the top 10s for now; I'm at work and don't want to view the full list on my phone.

Edited by Sid Starkiller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This isn't the Heroes forums but the results were just absolute destruction! Can't wait for my girl Lysithea!!!!💘🙌 I'd guess Staff or Tome(Thyrsus c'mon they KNOW that's practically her weapon sadly it will get FEH nerfed) with some unit type she better be OP since Heroes can tend to sometimes not translate how strong characters actually are in their game for a bunch of instances. I guess Edelgard and the other House Leaders will get alternate weapons like Edelgard swords(Seiros Sword), Dimitri not sure he could be like Brave Alm and keep his Areadbhar or New Bow, Claude some special Almyra Axe with NG+ alternate hair and final class look.

Glad Male Byleth bumped up good!!!

Edited by Mage Goddess Lysithea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2020 at 6:20 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

I wouldn't be too surprised about Lysithea being popular. She's as close to a loli that someone who's legal can get after the timeskip, she's a tsundere and a good unit while also having some special gimmicks like two crests. 

Loli's, tsundere's, good units and plot important characters are all popular so a combination of those would naturally be popular too. The only thing that might bring her down is that she's technically a Ricken but she tends to get a pass on that one. 

She's not a Loli post or pre. 
Loli = a girl who appears or is underage I,E 12 or younger which she doesn't fit that section
She is not a tsundere either.


 

Edited by End of time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2020 at 9:20 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

I wouldn't be too surprised about Lysithea being popular. She's as close to a loli that someone who's legal can get after the timeskip, she's a tsundere and a good unit while also having some special gimmicks like two crests. 

Loli's, tsundere's, good units and plot important characters are all popular so a combination of those would naturally be popular too. The only thing that might bring her down is that she's technically a Ricken but she tends to get a pass on that one. 

I’m sorry but no. Lysithea is not a tsundere there’s a bit of a difference there. There is one VERY key difference that separates Lysithea from being a tsundere and it’s the second half of that very word, “dere” which means “sweet” or “love struck”. Lysithea is almost all tsun really without much dere to speak of and when she does showcase something close to it there’s no proxy for the transition. Like Lysithea never really has a “It’s not like I like you or anything! Baka!” Moment as far as I can recall to which characters like Takumi or Severa have in spades. Like Lysithea never really denies or tries to hide any ‘dere’ side behind a wall of ‘tsun’ like Severa or Takumi. She acts similarly to one but she isn’t 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty popular, despite being such a controversial character, but sometimes controversy makes the fans of a character do have even more dedicated.  

My first playthrough was with the Black Eagle house and I went for the crimson flower route, I grew attached to Edelgard very quickly and didn't want to abandon her, and her relationship with Byleth is just so sweet. I think what I like the most with Edelgard is the contrast between the ruthless persona she puts on in war and how cute and sweet she can be in private, reminds me that no matter how much power an individual wields, monarchs are in the end, just people with the same basic needs and regrets as any other. Edelgard to me is a very human character, flawed but well-meaning. In this route at the very least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2020 at 12:56 PM, Ashe02 said:

And it's funny you try to make it seems like Edelgard didn't do well in those Dream polls, becasue she did, but I know you're just triggered Dimitri got a higher spot than her. 

Oh, and believe it or not, but the Heroes poll also doesn't reflect the whole FE fan base, but something tells me you won't think about it like that as long as Edelgard is 1st on the girls side, so I'm calling you out on your hypocrisy.

when a character wins a female-dominated poll (like the Dream polls), it's dismissed because, well, only girls were voting in that one, it's not representative of the overall fanbase. but when a character wins a male-dominated poll (like CYL), well now that's perfectly representative of what the fanbase actually likes. the double standard is exhausting. it makes female fans feel like our opinion doesn't matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, naemissa said:

when a character wins a female-dominated poll (like the Dream polls), it's dismissed because, well, only girls were voting in that one, it's not representative of the overall fanbase. but when a character wins a male-dominated poll (like CYL), well now that's perfectly representative of what the fanbase actually likes. the double standard is exhausting. it makes female fans feel like our opinion doesn't matter.

How do we know that CYL is a male dominated poll? Not saying that what you’re saying is wrong but I don’t remember IS telling us the ratio of male/female voters in CYL. Of course I might I’ve missed it. I’m actually really interested in knowing what genders voted for what character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Strullemia said:

How do we know that CYL is a male dominated poll? Not saying that what you’re saying is wrong but I don’t remember IS telling us the ratio of male/female voters in CYL. Of course I might I’ve missed it. I’m actually really interested in knowing what genders voted for what character.

I would also be quite interested in knowing that. I wonder if there is a difference in how guys and girls perceive Edelgard on average. But from what I seen so far Edelgard seems pretty popular with both genders. If I were to speculate. I would also say that it is likely that many girls really like Dimitri as he is totally the type of brooding hero with a dark past that are commonly popular with females. As for Edelgard, a major reason why I like her character is that for someone so motivated and goal oriented, she has a lot of insecurities and turmoil going on beneath the surface. She is a character who feels quite a lot underneath that cold facade. 

This board seems to have a really good community, this is the first time I declared my adoration for Edelgard as a character without things breaking out into a massive argument. So thank you all for that. I hope I can find like-minded people here who share my love for this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...