Just how popular is Edelgard?

57 minutes ago, Strullemia said:

How do we know that CYL is a male dominated poll? Not saying that what you’re saying is wrong but I don’t remember IS telling us the ratio of male/female voters in CYL. Of course I might I’ve missed it. I’m actually really interested in knowing what genders voted for what character.

there is no definitive proof, but i think it's a safe assumption to make considering that a) FEH has a mostly male playerbase, and most people voting on CYL are FEH players, and b) fucking plumeria made it to 8th place lol

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, naemissa said:

when a character wins a female-dominated poll (like the Dream polls), it's dismissed because, well, only girls were voting in that one, it's not representative of the overall fanbase. but when a character wins a male-dominated poll (like CYL), well now that's perfectly representative of what the fanbase actually likes. the double standard is exhausting. it makes female fans feel like our opinion doesn't matter.

I'm sympathetic here but to be fair, there are good reasons to put a bit more stock in CYL than the Nintendo Dream poll, namely that (a) its sample size is much larger and (b) it's international as opposed to Japan-only. The Nintendo Dream poll had some results which are obviously suspect if you've spent much time following the game on the internet, like Edelgard below Bernadetta, and Dorothea's low finish. The CYL results feel more overall plausible to me once you control for things like Hubert/Petra/Hilda/Mercedes being a bit underrated due to already being in FEH.

Not that I think any one poll is perfect, and would generally take all of them with a grain of salt. In the case of comparing Dimitri and Edelgard's popularity since some people seem to fixate on that, my take is that I don't think we have enough data to definitively say. Other than observing that obviously both are extremely popular.

37 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I'm sympathetic here but to be fair, there are good reasons to put a bit more stock in CYL than the Nintendo Dream poll, namely that (a) its sample size is much larger and (b) it's international as opposed to Japan-only. The Nintendo Dream poll had some results which are obviously suspect if you've spent much time following the game on the internet, like Edelgard below Bernadetta, and Dorothea's low finish. The CYL results feel more overall plausible to me once you control for things like Hubert/Petra/Hilda/Mercedes being a bit underrated due to already being in FEH.

Not that I think any one poll is perfect, and would generally take all of them with a grain of salt. In the case of comparing Dimitri and Edelgard's popularity since some people seem to fixate on that, my take is that I don't think we have enough data to definitively say. Other than observing that obviously both are extremely popular.

I think it is because Edelgard and Dimitri are so opposed to each other in the story, and this kind of creates these two camps where one is encouraged to compete with the other over which character is the most popular. I think some people feel vindicated about their choice if they can prove the character representing their chosen path is more popular. I actually think that both Edelgard and Dimitri are both great characters, the tragedy surrounding their relationship is real, sometimes I wish there was a way to save the both of them, but on the other hand, the fact that you can't is part of what makes their story so compelling in the first place. You as player are essentially forced to choose which of the two will get a happy ending. This all contributes to the competitive mindset of fans of Edelgard and Dimitri. Personally feel I already made my choice and nothing could persuade me into thinking I chose wrong, so I don't really need the validation of knowing it Edelgard is more popular than Dimitri or not, it is enough for me to know that Edelgard is popular. Both characters the deserve their popularity as they are both great characters. 

On 2/13/2020 at 12:50 PM, naemissa said:

when a character wins a female-dominated poll (like the Dream polls), it's dismissed because, well, only girls were voting in that one, it's not representative of the overall fanbase. but when a character wins a male-dominated poll (like CYL), well now that's perfectly representative of what the fanbase actually likes. the double standard is exhausting. it makes female fans feel like our opinion doesn't matter.

The funny thing is Edelgard got 4th on the last Dream Poll that was made, which also had mostly female voters.

But of course, as she didn't get 1st and/or becasue Dimitri got a higher spot than her, her fans have to come up with any excuse they can think of as to why that poll doesn't count. And playing the card of "It was mostly female voters!" Is somehow the way to go. Like do they think Dimitri doesn't have male fans out there? Or that every female Fire Emblem player is crazy about Dimitri? I don't know. But anyway, don't make them let you feel like your opinions don't matter. 

Edited by Ashe02