About Randolph in Azure Moon

Dragoncat

I'm at the War at Gronder part, I've been spoiled on who's gonna die and how. Fleche (just called "Maiden" for some reason) has joined up to get revenge for big bro Randolph. But did Dimitri really kill him, or did Byleth? It was vague. Dimitri talked about torturing him, then we see a flash of steel/cut animation, and Byleth appears. I took it as Byleth killed him to put him out of his misery. Of course Fleche wouldn't know this detail, but yeah I figured this wasn't minor enough for the general questions thread, it's plot related after all. Just wondering what everyone else thought happened and any insight.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Byleth killed Randolph, yeah. Dimitri even acknowledges it by asking something along the lines of why did they do it.

This is what I thought. Fleche showing up now going after Dimitri made me doubt it though. I guess no way she could have known.

I don't feel comfortable praising Byleth for executing Randolph.

Supporting Dimitri, even if it is merely fighting alongside him, during his craziness phase, is what seems irredeemably immoral to me. 

1 hour ago, Vince777 said:

Supporting Dimitri, even if it is merely fighting alongside him, during his craziness phase, is what seems irredeemably immoral to me. 

This isn't intended to be a topic on stuff like that...no praising of anyone is done here.

Byleth is the one who kills Randolph. However, Fleche never saw that and assumed it was the "one-eyed man" that Randolph warned her about before. Thus, she assumed Dimitri was the killer.

On another note, I gotta say she was a pretty poor planner. Trying to kill Dimitri when he happens to be surrounded by 3 of his strongest allies (Blyeth, Dedue, Rodrigue)? Not a bright plan.

Edited by Sentinel07

5 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Byleth is the one who kills Randolph. However, Fleche never saw that and assumed it was the "one-eyed man" that Randolph warned her about before. Thus, she assumed Dimitri was the killer.

On another note, I gotta say she was a pretty poor planner. Trying to kill Dimitri when he happens to be surrounded by 3 of his strongest allies (Blyeth, Dedue, Rodrigue)? Not a bright plan.

She did damage to Dimitri and OHKO'd Rodrigue. Don't know why Randolph didn't think she was fit for the front lines.

Fleche is called Maiden because nobody of you know her. She claims to be somebody else so she can infiltrate the army.

3 hours ago, Vince777 said:

He didn't supported Dimitri as he killed Randolph. It was a mercy kill, because Dimitri wanted to torture him and Byleth didn't wanted that.

Edited by Hauke

8 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

Revenge makes you dumb. There's probably a TVTropes page along that effect.

EDIT: Found it:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RevengeBeforeReason

Edited by Sid Starkiller

Dimitri was going to slowly torture Randolph and took pleasure at the idea of slowly ripping out his eyes. So Byleth steps in and quickly kills Randolph.

What Byleth did was ''nice''. 

Edited by Eurydice

On 1/25/2020 at 1:36 AM, Sentinel07 said:

Mercy kill or not, Randolph's death is because of Dimitri. So Fleche's target of revenge isn't misguided. 

On 1/25/2020 at 1:36 AM, Sentinel07 said:

I did not see Dedue anywhere near there. So not sure what you mean by that. And she killed Rodrigue and nearly killed Dimitri in the end. 

Plus, I doubt Fleche cared about her own life there. She wanted revenge and would die for it. Just as Dimitri did in VW/SS.

I'm more baffled by Byleth's plot-induced stupidity of not being able to Divine Pulse that.

Honestly, this makes a fine topic on its own.

Fleche isn't going to care about details other than "big brother's dead, and it's the enemy army's fault".  Perhaps Randolph knew that Fleche was a capable fighter in body, but wasn't ready for the mental stress that the front lines of war brings.  Regardless, it causes her to blame Dimitri, whether it was his fault or not (in this case, I'll argue that it was, since Randolph was going to die regardless - Byleth just sped it up).  Can't say I blame her, since he's the head of the army.

Oh, this is still being posted in? I guess I can add something!

@Anacybele told me she watched crime dramas, and there's an artery in the thigh that when cut, it bleeds out very fast. Judging from how Ol' Rod was talking clearly before he passed and how he basically just threw himself in the way, I'm headcanoning Fleche hit him there instead of anywhere near his airways/lungs. Otherwise, I'm not sure she'd be able to kill him that easily. Jeralt died from a poisoned dagger from a capable assassin. Fleche was basically a villager, although maybe with some experience knowing where to aim for.

Does this sound plausable to everyone else?

Fleche wounded Dimitri seriously enough to incapacitate him - through his armor - and Rodrigue wore clothing as far as I could see. He was toast no matter where she hit with that undoubtedly epic str stat. Rodrigue's speech could just be an extended version of his death scream.

Her spd probably isn't that good, though, because she just stood there and mocked her wounded prey instead of doubling and failed to dodge the incoming blow from Byleth.

tbh attempting to apply logic to a poorly written scene that is 100% done just for the drama probably isn't going to work

Just now, Crysta said:

tbh attempting to apply logic to a poorly written scene that is 100% done just for the drama probably isn't going to work

I mean, yes, but can we at least try?

Just now, Dragoncat said:

I mean, yes, but can we at least try?

Okay.

Fleche would have to suddenly go from having exceptional aim (to figure out how to pierce that armor with a dagger/smaller blade) to having terrible aim (to hit Rodrigue in the thigh opposed to the upper body), so not likely.

People actually don't die instantly for fatal injuries unless it severely damaged their CNS (brain or spine), like decapitation or a heavy blow to cranial.

Even gunshot through the heart would still gives you some 20 sec before losing conscious from blood pressure decrease, that why you often see on TV people shot multiple times, ran out then died outside on the street.

So yeah, Rodrigue was likely stab through heart or aorta but still able to give his farewell before dying from blood loss.

8 hours ago, Crysta said:

Okay.

Fleche would have to suddenly go from having exceptional aim (to figure out how to pierce that armor with a dagger/smaller blade) to having terrible aim (to hit Rodrigue in the thigh opposed to the upper body), so not likely.

Yeah, but he shoved Dimitri out of the way and took the hit after she already struck, so I doubt she was aiming for the thigh, that's just where the dagger hit. He would have moved slightly more, and it would have been in the dick, which would be super undignfiying.

6 hours ago, Timlugia said:

People actually don't die instantly for fatal injuries unless it severely damaged their CNS (brain or spine), like decapitation or a heavy blow to cranial.

Even gunshot through the heart would still gives you some 20 sec before losing conscious from blood pressure decrease, that why you often see on TV people shot multiple times, ran out then died outside on the street.

So yeah, Rodrigue was likely stab through heart or aorta but still able to give his farewell before dying from blood loss.

This is possible too, and would explain why Dimitri knew Rod was a goner right away.

Didn't look like there was any shoving, actually, just jumping in the way; Dimitri's expression changes while in the same hunched over pose as before. It seemed like she was aiming to stab him in the neck rather than in the chest, too, now that I look at the picture again.

I guess that WOULD be more successful than trying to dent the armor.

10 minutes ago, Crysta said:

Didn't look like there was any shoving, actually, just jumping in the way; Dimitri's expression changes while in the same hunched over pose as before. It seemed like she was aiming to stab him in the neck rather than in the chest, too, now that I look at the picture again.

I guess that WOULD be more successful than trying to dent the armor.

Would also be easier for someone like her, a presumably untrained fighter.

The fact that Dimitri was just going to let her though, shows that his snap back into reality wasn't instant, it'd been a process. She would have done this when Byleth first found him he wouldn't just sit there calmly, he'd fight back, not caring that this was a small, sweet looking woman. All he'd have to know is that she's from the Empire and she'd be dead. But by the time she actually did, he was pretty much like "Well shit, it's been lovely...NOT. I'm ready to join the ghosts who haunt me." I noticed the gradual transition and it was cool to watch.

This is some decent writing, at least.

Idk he was pretty adamant about chasing after Edelgard right before that moment. I think he really was just incapacitated somehow, otherwise he'd probably just murder her face and continue on, and then Rodrigue did his thing.

That's what he threatens to do to Byleth in his monastery dialogue lol

Edited by Crysta

He was a lot more growly when Byleth found him, maybe it's just me, but I noticed some hesitation in his growls and snaps closer to that point. But yeah, he may have been tired and already wounded from the battle prior.

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

Would also be easier for someone like her, a presumably untrained fighter.

The fact that Dimitri was just going to let her though, shows that his snap back into reality wasn't instant, it'd been a process. She would have done this when Byleth first found him he wouldn't just sit there calmly, he'd fight back, not caring that this was a small, sweet looking woman. All he'd have to know is that she's from the Empire and she'd be dead. But by the time she actually did, he was pretty much like "Well shit, it's been lovely...NOT. I'm ready to join the ghosts who haunt me." I noticed the gradual transition and it was cool to watch.

This is some decent writing, at least.

You are actually pretty correct. By Gronder he is far less growly and snappy. He saw Fleche coming and just accepted it, didn't try to fight back. He was prepared to die for what he did, then Rodrigue protected him. This is helped along if you spared Dedue, who Dimitri starts to open up to almost immediately.

Also something else bothers me, people just seem to forget Rodrigue's words in Aillel. Where he basically tells Dimitri that he is going to listen to what he has to say, ill disposition be damned, and that his quest for revenge is probably going to get his ass killed.... he says this in a far more eloquent way than I just summarized of course. Also Dimitri even thanks Rodrigue for getting Areadbhar back. So that part of the story isn't as out of nowhere as many people want to claim, though it does still feel a touch rushed due to the small number of chapters that it occurs in.

2 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

This is helped along if you spared Dedue, who Dimitri starts to open up to almost immediately.

Oh yeah, sparing Dedue really helps this narrative. It was an immediate "BROOOOOOOOO! OMG I MISSED YOU I THOUGHT YOU DIED OMG", basically.

Rodrigue was a good guy. I felt bad for him just trying to be Dad and Felix being a little shit. One sided old bull/young bull. I mean Felix is great too, but I just felt the oof size large at a lot of those interactions. I was like what kind of dysfunctional family drama did I just walk into.