About Randolph in Azure Moon

Dragoncat

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

I am speaking for myself, obviously~ Why would I be giving opinions for anyone else? I don't agree with the war, hence, I don't agree with Randolph. It's not that deep.

If you're invading the lands of innocent people and ruining their lives, then proceeding to act like you have any high moral ground to stand on, then you have no more regard for human life than anyone else~ 

All I did was answer the question of the topic, if you don't like the answer I give, cool~ Not going to change my opinion on the matter~

Right, and yet you seem to be rather unaware that without the war, nothing was improving for the better. Life was not good in Fodlan, it was shit. Rhea's doctrine created a stagnant continent filled with xenophobes and people obsessed with Crests. Nobility is already an inherently corrupt system and needed to go. 

But you wanna condemn something about regard for life, how about you condemn Faerghus for committing genocide. 

6 minutes ago, Crysta said:

Normally Randolph would die alongside his Imperial troops, since there is no point in the game where it indicates that you are taking prisoners of war or that your army is even interested in taking them.

But Dimitri orders you to capture him specifically to torture him. It’s an actual war crime lol

I personally wouldn't use war crime since that would involve there needing actual laws in regards to war to be installed by the nations. You could practically have anyone be pinned for war crimes. 

4 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I would agree if Dimitri were going after Kingdom soldiers as well. But Dimitri's killing is discriminate - he goes after the Imperial Army. The ones who started the war, and pushed Dimitri to his current state. He's basically a one-man guerilla army. I don't see him choosing to take the lives of his enemies, and Randolph choosing to take the lives of his enemies, as morally distinct. Randolph can say he was "only following orders", but he still made the choice to take lives along a path he thinks righteous. Just as Dimitri does.

Dimitri murders anyone he deems to be an enemy. Not just Imperials. He even admitted that he killed children. He sees anyone he deems an enemy as "rats" that have to be exterminated, regardless of their own reasoning. 

Spoiler

Dimitri_killed_kids.jpg

And Dimitri isn't doing this for guerrilla warfare or because they started the war. He does it to fulfill the ghosts in his own head. The delusion he holds. No sense of duty, justice, or any justifiable reason. Randolph does kill, but Dimitri murders. That's the difference.

Yes, I'm aware there is no actual Geneva Conventions in Fodlan, but I'm still calling it a war crime by our own general standards.

Whether or not Randolph is morally more correct seems immaterial to that.

1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:

Right, and yet you seem to be rather unaware that without the war, nothing was improving for the better. Life was not good in Fodlan, it was shit. Rhea's doctrine created a stagnant continent filled with xenophobes and people obsessed with Crests. Nobility is already an inherently corrupt system and needed to go. 

But you wanna condemn something about regard for life, how about you condemn Faerghus for committing genocide. 

I have no interest in doing the whole "Rhea bad" debate, but I maintain that Fodlan was in a much better state before Edelgard launched 5 years of turmoil~

I never agreed with Faerghus committing genocide, not sure why you're acting like I ever did

Just now, Landmaster said:

I have no interest in doing the whole "Rhea bad" debate, but I maintain that Fodlan was in a much better state before Edelgard launched 5 years of turmoil~

I never agreed with Faerghus committing genocide, not sure why you're acting like I ever did

Really? Nobility system existing for over a thousand years, a xenophobic culture spreading, people being sold off to make Crest babies, corrupt nobles rebelling against their ruler that resulted in the Agarthans getting power in the nations, and once again, a genocide happening, and you think it's... better? 

I must ask, did you really pay attention when playing the game? Or did you like to press the skip button? 

7 minutes ago, Crysta said:

Yes, I'm aware there is no actual Geneva Conventions in Fodlan, but I'm still calling it a war crime by our own general standards.

Whether or not Randolph is morally more correct seems immaterial to that.

Yeah, that's true. 

@Landmaster

Edelgard spread propaganda throughout her imperial troops. Telling them that they were liberating the world from monsters that have been leading Fodlan in secret for decades. Yeah, Randolph believes what he is doing is right. He is following orders to fight for his beloved nation and to free the continent from the monsters that have been lying to the world for so many years. There is some truth mixed in with that but it isn’t the whole truth. We don’t know how much of the truth Randolph knew, probably not a whole lot.

He is a soldier fighting in a war that was not started by him. It was started by Edelgard. Once he is captured, he is a prisoner of war. He doesn’t ‘deserve’ to die anymore than a German soldier in WWII.

3 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Really? Nobility system existing for over a thousand years, a xenophobic culture spreading, people being sold off to make Crest babies, corrupt nobles rebelling against their ruler that resulted in the Agarthans getting power in the nations, and once again, a genocide happening, and you think it's... better? 

I must ask, did you really pay attention when playing the game? Or did you like to press the skip button? 

Better than literal warfare where millions of innocent people are losing their lives? I would personally say that's better myself. Never said it was perfect before, obviously it wasn't. But the whole war could have been avoided.

Yes, people not having the same opinion as you doesn't mean we were pressing the skip button.

And again, not interested in debating the war, the topic was about Randolph and you're not going to convince me that the war was a good thing~ 

2 minutes ago, Whisky said:

@Landmaster

Edelgard spread propaganda throughout her imperial troops. Telling them that they were liberating the world from monsters that have been leading Fodlan in secret for decades. Yeah, Randolph believes what he is doing is right. He is following orders to fight for his beloved nation and to free the continent from the monsters that have been lying to the world for so many years. There is some truth mixed in with that but it isn’t the whole truth. We don’t know how much of the truth Randolph knew, probably not a whole lot.

He is a soldier fighting in a war that was not started by him. It was started by Edelgard. Once he is captured, he is a prisoner of war. He doesn’t ‘deserve’ to die anymore than a German soldier in WWII.

It's obviously not his fault that he didn't know the whole truth, but he was still an invader killing innocents and then acting holier than thou about it. That's my problem with him, like I said.

16 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

that last part seems like a random personal attack, there's no need to assume whether or not she played or did not play the game because she just so happened to view Fodlan in a different light than you do.

edit- Also re:Randolph, personally don't really like his character, moreso in AM. Ladislava is a better general just because she's honorable (she shows that she cares about her comrades with her interactions with Ferdinand if he's an enemy and still defends the bridge to her last). In AM, I see Randolph slowly starting to morph into a coward when he brings up the whole family excuse which makes me eye roll in a sense. What Dimitri did was wrong since torture was very unnecessary but, to me it was one of those "...really" moments. Randolph is obviously portrayed vastly different in CF when he fought against Catherine + Rhea's army but, since I did AM before CF my 1st impression of him stuck.

Also it's kinda funny how Fleche managed to accomplish more in AM than Randolph did, considering Fleche was able to infiltrate the Kingdom army (I believe she was the one that took out Kingdom messengers to the Alliance but idr if it was explicitly said, which ended up causing Dimitri to have beef with the Alliance since he thought that was the Alliance's doing) and also she managed to take out Rodrigue. She's obviously more capable than Randolph portrays her as (her surviving till the end of CF also shows she is quite capable), so I'm curious as to why Randolph prevented her from going into the front lines.

Edited by Lunarly

I think eclipse's explanation is a solid one: she was a kid and war is mentally tough. Considering how she ends up, it might have been a good call.

But because she's a kid and presumably hasn't actually been on the battlefield or killed people, unlike Dimitri, I think she actually deserved a second chance more than either of them.

13 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

Better than literal warfare where millions of innocent people are losing their lives? I would personally say that's better myself. Never said it was perfect before, obviously it wasn't.

Yes, because you instantly assume "millions" in the war, when in the course of a thousand years, I can easily say that Rhea's doctrine killed "billions" and suddenly, Edelgard's war is the lesser evil. Or hell, if the war didn't start, billions would have died even worse still.

But the whole war could have been avoided.

How? Please give 1 example while keeping the context of the story in mind on how war could have been entirely prevented. 

You seem almost confident in it, so I'm curious.

And again, not interested in debating the war, the topic was about Randolph and you're not going to convince me that the war was a good thing~

Yeah, but the main basis about what you're going on and on about Randolph is that "Oh, he's an Imperial that is totally slaughtering innocents because the Empire started the war, so he deserves what he got", so you brought the war topic into this yourself.

13 minutes ago, Lunarly said:

that last part seems like a random personal attack, there's no need to assume whether or not she played or did not play the game because she just so happened to view Fodlan in a different light than you do.

I mean, pretty much proving by their own words that they really don't seem to care for the nuance or the deeper meaning at all, and just stick to the first thought in their head. 

14 minutes ago, Lunarly said:

edit- Also re:Randolph, personally don't really like his character, moreso in AM. Ladislava is a better general just because she's honorable (she shows that she cares about her comrades with her interactions with Ferdinand if he's an enemy and still defends the bridge to her last). In AM, I see Randolph slowly starting to morph into a coward when he brings up the whole family excuse which makes me eye roll in a sense. What Dimitri did was wrong since torture was very unnecessary but, to me it was one of those "...really" moments. Randolph is obviously portrayed vastly different in CF when he fought against Catherine + Rhea's army but, since I did AM before CF my 1st impression of him stuck.

Was it cowardly? I mean, Dimitri literally started going about how him and Randolph were both the same. Dimitri is going about this twisted belief that because they kill, they are all literally the same. He pulled the exact same thing with Byleth, claiming that Byleth is just like Dimitri as well because of what happened with Jeralt. If anything, Randolph was pushing his reasoning for why he's not like Dimitri at all.

It's a case tat Randolph has ties to his own form of humanity, whereas Dimitri preaches there is none, as once you killed, you're a monster.

4 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Yes, because you instantly assume "millions" in the war, when in the course of a thousand years, I can easily say that Rhea's doctrine killed "billions" and suddenly, Edelgard's war is the lesser evil. Or hell, if the war didn't start, billions would have died even worse still.

How? Please give 1 example while keeping the context of the story in mind on how war could have been entirely prevented. 

You seem almost confident in it, so I'm curious.

Yeah, but the main basis about what you're going on and on about Randolph is that "Oh, he's an Imperial that is totally slaughtering innocents because the Empire started the war, so he deserves what he got", so you brought the war topic into this yourself.

You want to talk about the war so bad, we can PM each other. The topic was about Randolph and I'm sure this is probably considered off topic~

10 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Was it cowardly? I mean, Dimitri literally started going about how him and Randolph were both the same. Dimitri is going about this twisted belief that because they kill, they are all literally the same. He pulled the exact same thing with Byleth, claiming that Byleth is just like Dimitri as well because of what happened with Jeralt. If anything, Randolph was pushing his reasoning for why he's not like Dimitri at all.

It's a case tat Randolph has ties to his own form of humanity, whereas Dimitri preaches there is none, as once you killed, you're a monster.

For me personally, it's just bringing up the family aspect is kinda lame because it's pretty much assumed that all (if not most) of the soldiers have a family, even if it's not Dimitri specifically, the KoS and the other Kingdom loyalists + BL students/allies have families. So to me it's just the "what's make you so special that you get to bring up the family aspect, when I'm sure the other fallen soldiers on both sides would've loved to be alive to reunite with their family". I would've been fine with Randolph if he just ended at calling Dimitri a monster and/or murderer and left it at that.

Edited by Lunarly

4 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

You want to talk about the war so bad, we can PM each other. The topic was about Randolph and I'm sure this is probably considered off topic~

Send me a PM giving me 1 example that I asked for. 

Just now, Lunarly said:

For me personally, it's just bringing up the family aspect is kinda lame because it's pretty much assumed that all of the soldiers have a family, even if it's not Dimitri specifically, the KoS and the other Kingdom loyalists + BL students/allies have families. So to me it's just the "what's make you so special that you get to bring up the family aspect, when I'm sure the other fallen soldiers would've loved to be alive to reunite with their family". I would've been fine with Randolph if he just ended at calling Dimitri a monster and/or murderer and left it at that.

I get it, since Randolph starts the scene by pleading for his life, but given that he's dealing with the "One-Eyed Demon" that is known to murder others, it's understandable why people would go to the "family" thing. Like, you always have cases where someone is held at a death point and they say "No, please. I have a family" argument. It's the fear in them. 

But Dimitri basically then makes his own twisted philosophy and Randolph by then is defending himself by differentiating himself from Dimitri.

Edited by omegaxis1

6 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Edelgard being the first Hresvelg to attend the academy since Ionius might be notable because she had eight older siblings who never attended. Maybe 30 years or so might just be "ages" by Fódlan standards, especially for a noble family of such high status. Unlike women, men are capable of having children until they die, but based on how they met I don't think there's too big of an age gap between Ionius and Patricia.

I might be judging it more by our standards of "several generations" vs the middle ages-esque era of Fodlan where that's probably like 30-40 years yeah.

5 hours ago, Lunarly said:

In AM, I see Randolph slowly starting to morph into a coward when he brings up the whole family excuse which makes me eye roll in a sense.

It struck me as more stupid than cowardly. You really want to tell the guy who captured you alive for the sole purpose of torturing you that you have a family? Now he's gonna go looking for them just to hurt you more!

20 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Rodrigue was a good guy. I felt bad for him just trying to be Dad and Felix being a little shit. One sided old bull/young bull. I mean Felix is great too, but I just felt the oof size large at a lot of those interactions. I was like what kind of dysfunctional family drama did I just walk into.

Rodrigue seems like a good man. The way he stepped up to raise a traumatized Dimitri reflects really well on him. 

Still I can't help but think Rodrigue's morality is a little but warped. Felix isn't wrong to point out that the people that were attacked by bandits being Rodrigue's subjects should really count for a lot more than a dead king happening to like the particular village that was being attacked. And while Rodrigue very understanding and patient with Felix he probably really should have realized that ''he died like a true knight'' wasn't what Felix needed to hear at that point in his life. 

Faerghus has the worst and most toxic culture of the three nations

It sure does. We meet Dimitri as a good boy so it was surprising that Faerghus actually turned out to be the most morally flawed of the nations. They seem to take crest based discrimination far further than other nations and they have a very nasty case of racial discrimination to go along with it. Their response to not liking a king is tracking down him and his family and ''kill every last one of them!'', and given the soldiers testimony it seems nobles and commoners were in cahoots on that one. Lastly their noble class seems to consist of a bunch of cowards and cronies. Count Gloucester's pro imperial stance consists of him insisting on staying neutral for fear of attack while the Faergus nobles practically roll out the red carpet for Edelgard in most routes. Unlike the Leicester nobles who are divided or the imperial ones who fight for a cause(after the ones that didn't got purged) the Faergus nobles defect due to cowardice and opportunism.   

7 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Except that all the proof we have of people living like shit is highly annedoctical tales about a few noble families. There is almost nothing in 3H that indicate that common people feel this crest discrimination that much, and the only territory that is clearly oppressed is the one under fucking Arundhel. Also i'd take stagnation over crest luddism, as crests are the only reason Fodlan has not been conquered by Dagda, Almyra and Sreng yet. 

Haneman is the unsung hero of Fodlan and the only one that truly can solve the issue. 

7 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Dimitri murders anyone he deems to be an enemy. Not just Imperials. He even admitted that he killed children. He sees anyone he deems an enemy as "rats" that have to be exterminated, regardless of their own reasoning. 

Hide contents

Dimitri_killed_kids.jpg

And Dimitri isn't doing this for guerrilla warfare or because they started the war. He does it to fulfill the ghosts in his own head. The delusion he holds. No sense of duty, justice, or any justifiable reason. Randolph does kill, but Dimitri murders. That's the difference.

It's probably the case that Dimitri takes things too far, given the headspace he's in. If he only killed Imperial soldiers, even if he did so out of a sense of vengeance, I would consider such actions justified as acts of war. But killing children (assuming they were non-combatants) is absolutely unjustified, I agree.

Having said that, I don't see Randolphas in "the right", or have much pity for him. There's something perverse about him pleading for mercy, when minutes before he would have killed Dimitri or Byleth in a heartbeat. And what precipitated this, of course, was him using force to attempt to take Garreg Mach from the Kingdom/Church forces (yes, under Imperial orders). I respect Randolph's choice to serve the Empire in their war effort, but part of that choice is accepting a certain risk to his own life. And while it may have been nice to take him prisoner (after killing a bunch of his troops, who probably had their own families), the Kingdom/Church forces likely don't have the resources to keep PoWs at the time.

Fear and cowardice is not perverse when facing imminent torture and/or death. It's pretty natural.

Sure you're not getting kudos or admiration for it, but not every soldier is going to be a badass who doesn't afraid of anything.

2 hours ago, Flere210 said:

Except that all the proof we have of people living like shit is highly annedoctical tales about a few noble families. There is almost nothing in 3H that indicate that common people feel this crest discrimination that much, and the only territory that is clearly oppressed is the one under fucking Arundhel. Also i'd take stagnation over crest luddism, as crests are the only reason Fodlan has not been conquered by Dagda, Almyra and Sreng yet. 

Haneman is the unsung hero of Fodlan and the only one that truly can solve the issue. 

The Crest System supports the nobility system, allowing them to maintain or even gain power, hence why there's a obsession for Crests, and nobility is always a corrupt system. In fact, many of the problems in the character lives are a result of nobility. The nobles in Leicester have this power struggle, or at least indicated with Count Gloucester, which gets commoners killed, as proven by Raph's parents. Corrupt nobility is the reason that the Tragedy of Duscur happened since the Agarthans got help from the corrupt nobles that opposed Lambert's "radical" ways, which caused a literal GENOCIDE. The corrupt nobles are the reason the Insurrection of the Seven happened, which allowed the Agarthans to gain control of the Empire and the experiments of Edelgard and her siblings.

Hanneman's research didn't abolish nobility. Only Edelgard does, cause the nobility system is something that's been entrenched into society. No other route ending remotely comes close to abolishing it. So yeah, even Hanneman's research only provided what became just a stepping stone at best, but not the solution it needed to be.

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

It's probably the case that Dimitri takes things too far, given the headspace he's in. If he only killed Imperial soldiers, even if he did so out of a sense of vengeance, I would consider such actions justified as acts of war. But killing children (assuming they were non-combatants) is absolutely unjustified, I agree.

Having said that, I don't see Randolphas in "the right", or have much pity for him. There's something perverse about him pleading for mercy, when minutes before he would have killed Dimitri or Byleth in a heartbeat. And what precipitated this, of course, was him using force to attempt to take Garreg Mach from the Kingdom/Church forces (yes, under Imperial orders). I respect Randolph's choice to serve the Empire in their war effort, but part of that choice is accepting a certain risk to his own life. And while it may have been nice to take him prisoner (after killing a bunch of his troops, who probably had their own families), the Kingdom/Church forces likely don't have the resources to keep PoWs at the time.

You don't have to see Randolph as being in the "right" at all. But there's still the case that Randolph is someone that simply obeys the orders as a soldier would. But Dimitri overall murders people.

Also, pleading for mercy in his case is after he's been captured and is before the "One-Eyed Demon" so I can admit that maybe Randolph was scared and said that. Trying to kill Dimitri and Byleth is when the battle is still going. But Dimitri's twisted philosophy doesn't work with Randolph. Especially since he tries to pull the same on Byleth.

The thing is, corrupt Nobles don't need crests to exist, they would just bullshit something else as a divine right. I don't think we need to remove an incredibly convenient technology just to get rid of them, as the alternatice exist to give said technology to everyone else.

4 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

The thing is, corrupt Nobles don't need crests to exist, they would just bullshit something else as a divine right. I don't think we need to remove an incredibly convenient technology just to get rid of them, as the alternatice exist to give said technology to everyone else.

But the Crests have been what endorsed the nobility for ages. But yeah, nobles will still just use other means of holding their power. Hence why Edelgard couldn't abolish the nobility easily. It's been entrenched into society for so long that she has to really dig into it to uproot the whole thing. Hence why only she ever accomplished in abolishing it.

21 hours ago, Axel987 said:

Honestly I don't really think Rodrigue is a particularly bad father, miles and leaps ahead of most others in the game(not that that's much of an accomplishment though.) He said something insensitive when he was likely grieving his own son's death himself and from what we see in the game, any time he even tries to talk to Felix, he snipes back pretty harshly. Hell, he spends years trying to investigate what actually happened that day BECAUSE of said dead son. Not to say he did nothing wrong but parents aren't perfect, they make mistakes too.

Thank you. I'm pretty sure that Rodrigue was trying to give the death of his son some value, to praise him for his honor and duty, as any parent probably would. Rodrigue is also a product of his own culture, so he's conditioned to see sacrifice as a noble and meaningful way to die, and sure enough he does just that to save Dimitri.

10 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Hide contents

Dimitri_killed_kids.jpg

I don't recall any scene that says Dimitri kills non combatants. Motive doesn't matter when you're fighting in a war, enemy hostiles are fair targets no matter their age or social standing. Dimitri was right to call out Rudolph for acting like following orders to kill was any more acceptable than what Dimitri was doing. People both in and out of story call Dimitri horrible for his actions but no one cares that Byleth killed a prisoner of war and then a teenage girl.

It's actually the conclusion that Byleth agrees with in their A support that they both share blame for the anguish caused by the people they kill, that everyone shares in that responsibility in war. That's Dimitri's whole life philosophy that killing for any reason is immoral.

8 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

I don't recall any scene that says Dimitri kills non combatants. Motive doesn't matter when you're fighting in a war, enemy hostiles are fair targets no matter their age or social standing. Dimitri was right to call out Rudolph for acting like following orders to kill was any more acceptable than what Dimitri was doing. People both in and out of story call Dimitri horrible for his actions but no one cares that Byleth killed a prisoner of war and then a teenage girl.

It's actually the conclusion that Byleth agrees with in their A support that they both share blame for the anguish caused by the people they kill, that everyone shares in that responsibility in war. That's Dimitri's whole life philosophy that killing for any reason is immoral.

The image literally has Dimitri state that he killed KIDS. I'm sorry, but there ain't no excuse for that. Saying that "Oh, he doesn't kill non-combatants" means nothing when it comes to kids. Combatant or not, Dimitri killed them. If you're actually saying that Dimitri is justified in killing KIDS, we've got issues, buddy.

Randolph is a soldier. Soldiers fight and kill. They are literally trained and are meant to do that when they are at war. Yeah, killing is bad sure, but the reasons for the kills do matter a lot. Randolph kills because he's a soldier at war. He kills because he's fighting battles and has to do his job.

But Dimitri, he kills not for a sense of duty. Not for a sense of righteousness. And not even for self-defense. No, he kills anyone he deems an enemy because the literal delusions in his head tell him to. And that, by all accounts, is unjustifiable. That's murder. Plain and simple. And thus, he murdered KIDS because they may have just been some desperate orphans that were needing to survive. And Dimitri killed them because they became "filthy rats" in the end. 

Byleth pointed out that even thieves might have had reasons, but Dimitri makes it clear he doesn't give a damn about reasoning. 

And if anything, that philosophy is just the same twisted version of the boar, but now trying to preach it like its a good thing. Because it changes from "you're a monster just like me because you killed" to "we killed, so we are all to blame" which honestly sounds like Dimitri is just trying to excuse himself morally.

Just now, omegaxis1 said:

The image literally has Dimitri state that he killed KIDS. I'm sorry, but there ain't no excuse for that. Saying that "Oh, he doesn't kill non-combatants" means nothing when it comes to kids. Combatant or not, Dimitri killed them. If you're actually saying that Dimitri is justified in killing KIDS, we've got issues, buddy.

Randolph is a soldier. Soldiers fight and kill. They are literally trained and are meant to do that when they are at war. Yeah, killing is bad sure, but the reasons for the kills do matter a lot. Randolph kills because he's a soldier at war. He kills because he's fighting battles and has to do his job.

But Dimitri, he kills not for a sense of duty. Not for a sense of righteousness. And not even for self-defense. No, he kills anyone he deems an enemy because the literal delusions in his head tell him to. And that, by all accounts, is unjustifiable. That's murder. Plain and simple. And thus, he murdered KIDS because they may have just been some desperate orphans that were needing to survive. And Dimitri killed them because they became "filthy rats" in the end. 

Byleth pointed out that even thieves might have had reasons, but Dimitri makes it clear he doesn't give a damn about reasoning. 

And if anything, that philosophy is just the same twisted version of the boar, but now trying to preach it like its a good thing. Because it changes from "you're a monster just like me because you killed" to "we killed, so we are all to blame" which honestly sounds like Dimitri is just trying to excuse himself morally.

Kids like Fleche? Kids who can and do kill others? All of the students are killers even during the school phase and some of them are as young as 15 years old. Context matters when you're discussing when it's appropriate to kill another. If someone attacks me with lethal intent, at what age am I morally allowed to respond with equal force? 

You're right that Dimitri doesn't care much about the personal motivations for the people he slaughters but as far as we know, he does think they deserved to die according to the actions they chose to take, either fighting as a soldier (against his nation) or being a murderous bandit. Everyone in the army kills hostile targets, in every route of the game.

Dimitri is nothing but repentant in his later chapters and specifically says that he is to blame for the grief he causes whenever he kills, so you're way off base when you say he's excusing himself.