Fire Emblem: The Lonely Mirror [Completed]

caladrius

Hello Fire Emblem Addicts:

I have been working on a FE8 ROM Hack, titled Fire Emblem: The Lonely Mirror, for about three years now and wanted to share it with the FE Community. This hack is complete from Prologue to Final with an Epilogue too.

I love the Fire Emblem series so much, and working on this project has been really fun. I have fun playing through this hack often, and I hope that this ROM hack will be enjoyable for you as well. If you wish to provide feedback in any way, I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Features:

• Original story and characters.
  • 36 playable maps on single route of play (38 total).
  • 44 total playable characters.
  • Player choices that impact branching chapter maps, character recruitment, items, and enemy placements.
  • Unique chapter objectives and map interactivity.
  • Custom backgrounds that enhance story telling including hand-painted, storybook intro.
  • Custom battle sprites.
  • Newly introduced classes and weapon types.
  • Newly added music.
  • Many Support Conversations for added character development.
  • Paired Endings with Special Epilogues
  • Enhanced gameplay; though, staying true to classic GBA Fire Emblem.

Trailer:
Here is the trailer for the game's release.

Download:
You can download a UPS of Fire Emblem: The Lonely Mirror ROM hack here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/so69b7n12mzlv6b/AADf60KnaGDf79NIhJYHEQuXa?dl=0

I would suggest playing the game on Normal difficulty as Hard mode has not been properly balanced. Also, included will be credits and special thanks, character stat growth, and a ReadMe to help get you going.

Edited by caladrius
The game is completed.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only played the first couple of chapters so far. It's pretty neat, I think the "storybook" segments are pretty cool.

Overall, one heck of a way to introduce yourself to the forum!

I'll post more thoughts as I get more experience with the game.

@eclipse: Thank you for moving this topic into the correct location. For some reason, I was unable to post under Fan Projects, so Questions was the next best thing.

It is possible to add Skills to a FE8 ROM hack. There is a skill system patch in place that I did play around with before I really kickstarted this project. I ultimately decided to not pursue skills with this ROM hack as it added a level of congestion to the GBA gameplay. I might play around with skills again after I finish the endgame chapter, but it is not high on the priority list.

Ah, I have seen the Str/Mag split in Rom Hacks, but from what I understand is pretty difficult to fully implement effectively. I was not able to figure it out. That being said, I didn't intend to have too many classes that used strength and magic. I believe Flame Knight (sword, fire), Adventurer (bow, staff), Templar (lance, staff) and Leah's final class (unavailable) are the only classes that would utilize the Str/Mag split aside from magic weapon use.

Regarding posting limitations - they go away with time/activity.  Kinda sucks if all you want to do is post a ROM hack, but yeah.

You can also Report your own post, and ask that it be moved - we'll get to it, and it shouldn't impact your warn bar (just don't abuse it).

Cool suggestion, Jotari. I can certainly implement some kind of item drop on Roscoe for a future build. It might not be a super rare item drop as I am looking to spread those out across the eventual 33 chapters, but perhaps something helpful for the upcoming chapter.

6 hours ago, caladrius said:

Cool suggestion, Jotari. I can certainly implement some kind of item drop on Roscoe for a future build. It might not be a super rare item drop as I am looking to spread those out across the eventual 33 chapters, but perhaps something helpful for the upcoming chapter.

I also think his charge at the end could have been a bit more drastic. Some. Ore reinforcements. I managed to rout the map on the last turn by killing him, which shouldn't really be how things turn out in a defense chapter imo (otherwise it might as well be a rout chapter). Defense maps should end with the player letting out a gasp of relief as they hit the turn quota just in time before getting overwhelmed.

17 hours ago, Jotari said:

I also think his charge at the end could have been a bit more drastic. Some. Ore reinforcements. I managed to rout the map on the last turn by killing him, which shouldn't really be how things turn out in a defense chapter imo (otherwise it might as well be a rout chapter). Defense maps should end with the player letting out a gasp of relief as they hit the turn quota just in time before getting overwhelmed.

Neat!  I can add some additional enemies to go with his charge. I really appreciate the feedback. It's tricky building out a game when you are the only eyes on it. 

Hey caladrius, great project so far! I'm loving the balance, difficulty, and map design.

I've had a bit of trouble in chapter 9, and am reasonably sure that it's a bug.  A few moves into the first turn, I get a Game Over.  This happens for seemingly no reason, like when I visit a house, attack an enemy, or simply wait. I've tried holding the starting position in the corner, and I get a game over after the enemy phase.

Any clue as to what is happening?

Again, enjoying the hack- well done!

1 hour ago, NebataCrawler said:

I've had a bit of trouble in chapter 9, and am reasonably sure that it's a bug.  A few moves into the first turn, I get a Game Over.  This happens for seemingly no reason, like when I visit a house, attack an enemy, or simply wait. I've tried holding the starting position in the corner, and I get a game over after the enemy phase.

This does seems concerning... Hmm... I tried fooling around in Chapter 9, but I am not seeing anything that causes a Game Over for no reason. You say it is happening after the enemy's first turn regardless of which actions you perform? 

Chapter 9 does not have many turn based events in play. Events occur when the player moves into a specified area, but all that happens is enemy AI changes and a cutscene. Nothing that should be causing a Game Over. And looking at the flags, a Game Over should only be reached if Leah, Boone, Caden, or Joseph fall in that battle. Is it happening after a specific character takes action? 

I'll continue to try and investigate this one to see if I can reproduce.

I liked the way you implemented Knives and multiple anima magic types into the game. I separately figured out doing things that way could be used to expand the weapon roster and wondered if anyone ever would. However I'm slightly disappointed that the nature of it means there can't be a class that is effective in multiple anima types. I assume, based on how you're doing the weapon triangle advantage by basing it on class effectiveness than weapon type. A way around it could possibly be to put the separate anima types as add ons to light and dark instead. That's not a major problem though. What is a major problem is that all of the mages use the same field sprite. This means to actively check what kind of mage I'm facing I need to go in and check what weapon they're carrying rather than just glancing at them on the map. Some basic sprite reworking so each of the mages have some distinctive feature. Actually looking at it now I see you have done that by giving them different linings on their cloak, but I literally only noticed that because I was making this post. Something more distinctive would go a long way. A change in palette would be the most obvious choice, though you'd need to work out how that would look for both enemies and allies.

Edited by Jotari

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

However I'm slightly disappointed that the nature of it means there can't be a class that is effective in multiple anima types.

There is actually a class called Scholar that can use Light, Wind, Thunder, and Fire and has no anima weakness, so there is a method of making classes that utilize multiple anima magic. Tanya is the only playable character with access to this. I ultimately chose to go with super effectiveness instead of an anima triangle for Fire --> Wind --> Thunder --> Fire because magic has traditionally been a very powerful weapon type. The magic triangle also never did too much due to mages having high res.

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

What is a major problem is that all of the mages use the same field sprite. This means to actively check what kind of mage I'm facing I need to go in and check what weapon they're carrying rather than just glancing at them on the map. Some basic sprite reworking so each of the mages have some distinctive feature.

Yea, there is some minor differences between the elemental mage map sprites. Changing the palette by class and team might be difficult. I believe all player units share the same color palette (lots of blue). The same goes for enemy units (lots of red) and NPC units (lots of green). As a whole, there aren't too many colors to choose from when creating these sprites. I can try to go back and edit these map sprites to see if I can add more different features using the same palette though.

1 minute ago, caladrius said:

There is actually a class called Scholar that can use Light, Wind, Thunder, and Fire and has no anima weakness, so there is a method of making classes that utilize multiple anima magic. Tanya is the only playable character with access to this. I ultimately chose to go with super effectiveness instead of an anima triangle for Fire --> Wind --> Thunder --> Fire because magic has traditionally been a very powerful weapon type. The magic triangle also never did too much due to mages having high res.

Yea, there is some minor differences between the elemental mage map sprites. Changing the palette by class and team might be difficult. I believe all player units share the same color palette (lots of blue). The same goes for enemy units (lots of red) and NPC units (lots of green). As a whole, there aren't too many colors to choose from when creating these sprites. I can try to go back and edit these map sprites to see if I can add more different features using the same palette though.

The weapon triangle can be edited to be more and less effective. I made a FE6 hack where weapon triangle bonuses were +10 and it made quite a significant difference.

14 hours ago, NebataCrawler said:

Hi NebataCrawler,

I just uploaded a UPS patch (v3_3) that I am hoping corrects the issue that you are facing on Chapter 9. I was personality not able to reproduce the problem, but I did encounter some funny values that did not match how other Game Over calls were being made, so I aligned them to match other chapters. Please let me know if this corrects the problem or whether you are still experiencing the issue.

I must say I find it kind of weird how the story suddenly stops and you start focusing on a whole group of other characters for three straight chapters (and not even with a consistent protagonist). Have you considered interspersing the preludes between other chapters of the game? That would change the scenario so you already know the white lions when you face them and would give a Radiant Dawn style fight your own units set up.

Having Knives available in the prep shop would be nice.

I'm over half way through the game now and I haven't received any promotion items at all. I'm eager to see what the promoted classes are like.

The game has given me three archers, yet no lance cavalry or thunder mage. Unless there's a character I missed some how, this seems unbalanced. Especially on the no thunder mage aspect since the magic triangle is so powerful.

There seems to be an enemy only class call Sky Knight which is basically just a pegasus using swords. I question why not just make Pegasus Knights have Swords and Lances like in Jugdral. This would significantly increase Faith's usability as for me she was very shakey until I gave her some stat boosters. Before you get the white lions Leah is also the sole user of swords (excluding Knives) so having a second sword unit with Faith would help even things out. For a long time Leah was carrying both a rapier and a Long Sword which has a certain level of redundancy. 

Likewise there's a Cleric and Wanderer class, which basically has the difference of Wanderer being able to use Light magic. I'd say just give Cleric light magic too. It makes the Cleric look out right inferior as a class. Plus it's actually pretty late in the game before you get Lael and thus access to Light Magic.

Playing Chapter 11 and I see in Fire Emblem builder that Liang is meant to show up on turn 2, but he never did for me. I never used him outside of his recruit chapter so it's no major loss, but it should probably be checked out and fixed.

Edited by Jotari

Hi Jotari,

Thank you for your comments. Lots to respond to. I hope all address your comments and questions.

On 1/31/2020 at 9:46 PM, Jotari said:

I must say I find it kind of weird how the story suddenly stops and you start focusing on a whole group of other characters for three straight chapters (and not even with a consistent protagonist). Have you considered interspersing the preludes between other chapters of the game? That would change the scenario so you already know the white lions when you face them and would give a Radiant Dawn style fight your own units set up.

Yes, I considered putting the Prelude chapters in many other locations: including putting them earlier in the story or even alternating the chapters; however, there were problems no matter how I did it. Ultimately, I decided that introducing the White Lions and hearing Boone's story was a better transition than the alternative. Additionally, since Prelude 3 went to Myles/Joseph it would have become way too much jumping around too early in the game. 

12 hours ago, Jotari said:

I'm over half way through the game now and I haven't received any promotion items at all. I'm eager to see what the promoted classes are like.

Chapter 10 is halfway out of the current available maps; however, the whole game is going to be like 36 playable maps on a single route of play. Originally I was going to provide a Master Seal in the first 10 chapters, but I didn't want the EXP gain to be like 0% near the end of the game. I'm trying to think ahead how the balance will be by the end game and not just the beginning. I am even considering upping the threshold to promote to Lv 15 based on how much content will be in the game, but I'll make that determination later.

The game has given me three archers, yet no lance cavalry or thunder mage. Unless there's a character I missed some how, this seems unbalanced. Especially on the no thunder mage aspect since the magic triangle is so powerful.

Again, this game is really long. I don't want to dump 20+ characters in the first 10 chapters. I'm also trying to consider the best methods of writing/introducing characters to make it more of an ensemble cast. You do get a lance cavalier or thunder mage depending on your Chapter 17. Wyatt, Wise, and Helga can also function as mounted lance users. Eamon and Ariel can also gain lances on promotion, so you'll be able to fill in the gaps if you don't obtain Wanda. Thunder magic is the special/rare magic in the game, but not necessarily needed. There will be a late join Thunder Sage that will fill the gap if you don't get Tanya.

You do have available to a lot of archers on Chapter 10. Caden will leave your party for a long time, and you may not even get Liang back for a while either. I also think Liang is more of a thief with bows, but maybe that is just me. That being said, I do agree with you that there are many archers. When I was writing details on the nations, Celyste was known for having the best archers on the continent, so that's where it made most sense to introduce these characters.

Playing Chapter 11 and I see in Fire Emblem builder that Liang is meant to show up on turn 2, but he never did for me. I never used him outside of his recruit chapter so it's no major loss, but it should probably be checked out and fixed.

I'm not convinced this is a bug. Roxie and Liang have the most complicated recruitment in the game. I will try my best to explain.

Liang's Recruitment:

1. Liang AND Roxie must both be recruited and survive the Celyste-Ametona War Arc (Prologue through Chapter 10).
  2. When on Chapter 11, visit the southern house. Ariel can reach this on the first turn.
  3. You will be offered a bow or a tome from the old man. Choose the Bow. Note: Choosing the tome will cause Roxie to appear on Chapter 12 by opening the door. This can be triggered by the enemy or the player.
  4. Liang will appear the turn after the bow is chosen. Talk to him with Boone or Myles to recruit.

Additional Outcomes:

• If Liang is killed or not recruited in the Celyste-Ametona War arc, she will not appear during the time skip. Same goes for Roxie.
  • If Liang is chosen during Chapter 11, Roxie will rejoin on Chapter 22 (unreleased).
  • If Roxie’s recruitment is triggered during Chapter 11 choice, Liang will rejoin on Chapter 21 (unreleased).
  • If one of Liang or Roxie is killed or not recruited during the first arc, they will join at their later join time. You will instead receive an Elixir from the house in Chapter 11.

It is possible that there is an error in the logic for Liang's recruitment as it is fairly complicated, but I believe I tested all the outcomes aside from the unreleased work. I could have missed an edge case. Please me know the scenario in which you are entering Chapter 11.

Likewise there's a Cleric and Wanderer class, which basically has the difference of Wanderer being able to use Light magic. I'd say just give Cleric light magic too. It makes the Cleric look out right inferior as a class. Plus it's actually pretty late in the game before you get Lael and thus access to Light Magic.

Lael has a late rejoin time after the time skip, so I gave her the addition of light magic to not make her unusable. Kathryn has an earlier join time and will have an easier time fitting into the party. Additionally, Lael has a bit of a story centric role and promotion that will come into play around Chapter 26.

There seems to be an enemy only class call Sky Knight which is basically just a pegasus using swords.

There is a recruitable Sky Knight available on Chapter 18. Talk with Joseph, Wyatt, Benji, Helga, or Rob. Sky Knight has slightly different promotions than Pegasus Knight.

There seems to be an enemy only class call Sky Knight which is basically just a pegasus using swords. I question why not just make Pegasus Knights have Swords and Lances like in Jugdral. This would significantly increase Faith's usability as for me she was very shakey until I gave her some stat boosters. Before you get the white lions Leah is also the sole user of swords (excluding Knives) so having a second sword unit with Faith would help even things out. For a long time Leah was carrying both a rapier and a Long Sword which has a certain level of redundancy. 

For the most part this is true aside from Atticus. Atticus can also equip swords as well as knives. I typically move a lot of swords over to Atticus once Leah gets Majestra. You'll also have swords to spare if you use Travis or Myles beginning in Chapter 8. A lot of the early game is designed to be a small party feel. You don't get that many party members. Oddly enough, these types of maps tend to be my favorites in Fire Emblem games. 

I have seen Faith end up extremely powerful with a couple levels thanks to her amazing strength and speed growths. She is frail and appreciates the Robe and even the Body Ring can be useful for her. That being said, she is a bit of an Est archetype. She will be the last unpromoted unit to rejoin after the time skip.

22 hours ago, caladrius said:

Hi Jotari,

Thank you for your comments. Lots to respond to. I hope all address your comments and questions.

Yes, I considered putting the Prelude chapters in many other locations: including putting them earlier in the story or even alternating the chapters; however, there were problems no matter how I did it. Ultimately, I decided that introducing the White Lions and hearing Boone's story was a better transition than the alternative. Additionally, since Prelude 3 went to Myles/Joseph it would have become way too much jumping around too early in the game. 

Chapter 10 is halfway out of the current available maps; however, the whole game is going to be like 36 playable maps on a single route of play. Originally I was going to provide a Master Seal in the first 10 chapters, but I didn't want the EXP gain to be like 0% near the end of the game. I'm trying to think ahead how the balance will be by the end game and not just the beginning. I am even considering upping the threshold to promote to Lv 15 based on how much content will be in the game, but I'll make that determination later.

Again, this game is really long. I don't want to dump 20+ characters in the first 10 chapters. I'm also trying to consider the best methods of writing/introducing characters to make it more of an ensemble cast. You do get a lance cavalier or thunder mage depending on your Chapter 17. Wyatt, Wise, and Helga can also function as mounted lance users. Eamon and Ariel can also gain lances on promotion, so you'll be able to fill in the gaps if you don't obtain Wanda. Thunder magic is the special/rare magic in the game, but not necessarily needed. There will be a late join Thunder Sage that will fill the gap if you don't get Tanya.

You do have available to a lot of archers on Chapter 10. Caden will leave your party for a long time, and you may not even get Liang back for a while either. I also think Liang is more of a thief with bows, but maybe that is just me. That being said, I do agree with you that there are many archers. When I was writing details on the nations, Celyste was known for having the best archers on the continent, so that's where it made most sense to introduce these characters.

Ah. I was under the impression that this game was finished and stood at 20 chapters long. Knowing it's longer than that has changed my perception of things. Though wether that ultimately leads to a good or bad result will depend on how things turn out in the long run.

It's funny on the archer thing. I was actually felt like the game was severely missing an archer for a large portion of the start since you don't get one until the preludes begin. And then once they do begin you get almost one a chapter for the next four chapters. This yet another reason while I feel it might be better to interperse the first and second preludes earlier in the game. Also if Caden's going to be gone so long I think it'd do better for him to be a prepromote. It seems kind of underwhelming that the crown prince of a nation is a tier 1 unit.

Liang's Recruitment:

1. Liang AND Roxie must both be recruited and survive the Celyste-Ametona War Arc (Prologue through Chapter 10).
  2. When on Chapter 11, visit the southern house. Ariel can reach this on the first turn.
  3. You will be offered a bow or a tome from the old man. Choose the Bow. Note: Choosing the tome will cause Roxie to appear on Chapter 12 by opening the door. This can be triggered by the enemy or the player.
  4. Liang will appear the turn after the bow is chosen. Talk to him with Boone or Myles to recruit.

Additional Outcomes:

• If Liang is killed or not recruited in the Celyste-Ametona War arc, she will not appear during the time skip. Same goes for Roxie.
  • If Liang is chosen during Chapter 11, Roxie will rejoin on Chapter 22 (unreleased).
  • If Roxie’s recruitment is triggered during Chapter 11 choice, Liang will rejoin on Chapter 21 (unreleased).
  • If one of Liang or Roxie is killed or not recruited during the first arc, they will join at their later join time. You will instead receive an Elixir from the house in Chapter 11.

It is possible that there is an error in the logic for Liang's recruitment as it is fairly complicated, but I believe I tested all the outcomes aside from the unreleased work. I could have missed an edge case. Please me know the scenario in which you are entering Chapter 11.

Ah. I see. Well I chose the tome and am happy for it now as I was training Roxie throughout. That is a bit esoteric though. Granted no more than some stuff Fire Emblem has pulled before in the series. Still, it would have sucked if I'd chosen the bow and not got Roxie back for so long.

Lael has a late rejoin time after the time skip, so I gave her the addition of light magic to not make her unusable. Kathryn has an earlier join time and will have an easier time fitting into the party. Additionally, Lael has a bit of a story centric role and promotion that will come into play around Chapter 26.

There is a recruitable Sky Knight available on Chapter 18. Talk with Joseph, Wyatt, Benji, Helga, or Rob. Sky Knight has slightly different promotions than Pegasus Knight.

For the most part this is true aside from Atticus. Atticus can also equip swords as well as knives. I typically move a lot of swords over to Atticus once Leah gets Majestra. You'll also have swords to spare if you use Travis or Myles beginning in Chapter 8. A lot of the early game is designed to be a small party feel. You don't get that many party members. Oddly enough, these types of maps tend to be my favorites in Fire Emblem games. 

I have seen Faith end up extremely powerful with a couple levels thanks to her amazing strength and speed growths. She is frail and appreciates the Robe and even the Body Ring can be useful for her. That being said, she is a bit of an Est archetype. She will be the last unpromoted unit to rejoin after the time skip.

I did exactly that, give faith both the Robe and Body Ring. She's quite capable now, but before that she was a major liability. Especially in the fog of war map just after she recruited her. That's been the worst map for me so far as enemies just kept appearing out of the fog and killing her in one shot. Not entirely the game's fault though as I kept making a lot of stupid decisions (the number of times my brain defaulted to "Oh there's a mage, she'll be able to tank that" only to get hit by super effective wind magic from the same god damn mage is embarrassing).

I wasn't aware Atticus could use swords. Maybe have him come with a slim sword so that is obvious. I just assumed we were working under Tellius rules.

Are the post time skip units literally seperate units in the code? Has all the focus I've been putting into certain units been lost post time skip?

Edited by Jotari

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

Are the post time skip units literally seperate units in the code? Has all the focus I've been putting into certain units been lost post time skip?

They are indeed counted as separate units in the code. That being said, as long as the unit survives until Chapter 10, they will come back with the same stats. The stats are copied onto the new unit. If they are forced to retreat before the end of Chapter 10, they will revert back to their original level and stats for the time skip. You should be fine if you kept the characters you are using alive.

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

I wasn't aware Atticus could use swords. Maybe have him come with a slim sword so that is obvious. I just assumed we were working under Tellius rules.

Pretty good suggestion there. It would be good to show Atticus can also use swords. Atticus is actually not a terrible combat unit as far as thieves go. Assassin also seems to be a great class in this game that works well on Atticus and Myles.

21 minutes ago, caladrius said:

They are indeed counted as separate units in the code. That being said, as long as the unit survives until Chapter 10, they will come back with the same stats. The stats are copied onto the new unit. If they are forced to retreat before the end of Chapter 10, they will revert back to their original level and stats for the time skip. You should be fine if you kept the characters you are using alive.

How are you achieving that effect?

Thought I was going to cheese Chapter 14, the Border Gate Chapter, by promoting Joseph to Dark Griffon and flying up the side to reach the gate and sieze without bothering to open up the two paths. My plan failed because A) Joseph isn't a lord like I for some reason assumed. But more importantly B) The chapter was super easy. The enemies just rushed me basically one at a time and I stayed safe picking them off. I intended for Joseph to do all the fighting in that chapter but by the time he was finished everyone else had been sorted almost by accident. I thought the enemies would play a bit more defensively. I suggest trying out that one again. Overall the difficult's been pretty nice, but that one scaled far to on the easy side of things (in terms of plot it also featured Corrin's infamous taser sword which isn't something I can say I'm a fan of).

What's the advantage of going Witch over Oracle? Because I'm seeing to weapon types and a mount versus just one weapon type. Don't suppose they warp like in Gaiden?

Edited by Jotari