Fire Emblem: The Lonely Mirror [Completed]

caladrius

On 9/13/2020 at 3:07 PM, peerless said:

Hey, just wanted to say that I've been playing on hard mode and have really been enjoying this hack. Given that there's only a few chapters left I might wait until it's done before doing a complete playthrough - I just passed chapter 15, missed recruiting Riley, and kind of want to start over (don't have a save file from before chapter 13 within the tavern.)

Can I suggest that for the full release, it'd be nice if you consolidate a list of missables under a spoiler tag? Something like secret shop locations, missable recruitments (I didn't even realize I didn't have Liang until I read some of the comments)? Thanks for the great hack!

Hi peerless. I am happy to hear that you have enjoyed what you have seen of The Lonely Mirror.

I will say that I have disclosed a lot of missable characters, secret shop locations, etc. within the message boards (mostly on FE Universe); however, the information isn't consolidated. For the final release, I will take your suggestion and add a recruitment/missable guide with the download location so that any player could have access to the information. 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/30/2020 at 2:45 AM, Jotari said:

Hey, did you make the title screen yourself? And if not do you know anyone that would be up for making a title screen for me for my own project?

Yes, I made the title screen myself. I actually don't remember the process of inserting it into the game as it was one of the first things I accomplished. It did have a similar process as inserting a new background, but with some imagine layering. I could help out with other projects, but I first want to finish The Lonely Mirror. It's basically like 1.5 chapters left to finish on my end.

25 minutes ago, caladrius said:

Yes, I made the title screen myself. I actually don't remember the process of inserting it into the game as it was one of the first things I accomplished. It did have a similar process as inserting a new background, but with some imagine layering. I could help out with other projects, but I first want to finish The Lonely Mirror. It's basically like 1.5 chapters left to finish on my end.

Yeah I've been messing around with it myself since making that post. Doesn't seem as difficult as I thought, though I have some transparency issues. Good luck with the remainder of your project.

• 1 month later...

Hi, maybe I'm not understanding exactly if there is a specific way I'm supposed to go about it, but chapter 8 is giving me the utmost frustration, I can't seem to get very far, I've gotten farther and farther each time but it's becoming so irritating that I don't want to play.... Is there someone I'm supposed to use.... Cause this seems ridiculous.... I can't fight because I need to use elxirs to heal.... If they do enough damage they don't have enough health to survive if they have enough health I can't kill them fast enough and I just get swarmed, I think you definitely need to reduce reenforcements drastically maybe every other turn instead of each turn and yes I know that if you cover the stairs it will block them but I can't kill then put them on the stairs and they respawn every turn... I do apologise for the long post but it is very irritating

On 11/10/2020 at 5:42 AM, ryzlow said:

Hi, maybe I'm not understanding exactly if there is a specific way I'm supposed to go about it, but chapter 8 is giving me the utmost frustration, I can't seem to get very far, I've gotten farther and farther each time but it's becoming so irritating that I don't want to play.... Is there someone I'm supposed to use.... Cause this seems ridiculous.... I can't fight because I need to use elxirs to heal.... If they do enough damage they don't have enough health to survive if they have enough health I can't kill them fast enough and I just get swarmed, I think you definitely need to reduce reenforcements drastically maybe every other turn instead of each turn and yes I know that if you cover the stairs it will block them but I can't kill then put them on the stairs and they respawn every turn... I do apologise for the long post but it is very irritating

Thanks for your feedback.

Firstly, what difficulty are you playing, because the reinforcements will behave differently depending on the difficulty. Hard mode might feel relentless. I tend to like to use Joseph/Brett and Grant in the pit of monsters, and use Boone to block the staircase while holding a javelin. Grant should be able to take a lot of hits and Joseph or Brett are strong offensively. The idea is to rush Vergil, Travis, or Faith to the switch as fast as you can.

I can consider reducing the reinforcements if it has become a huge problem for you, but I might not get around to it for a month or so as I've had some other things come up in life recently. 

I also wanted to share a character popularity poll link here in case anyone was interesting in participating:

https://strawpoll.com/e9z88bpr6

Also, please let me know if there are any support ending that you'd like me to include as part of the full game release. I might end up doing something special for the favorited characters.

Edited by caladrius

• 1 month later...

Hello Fire Emblem Obsessionists and Happy 2021!!

I have been working hard on a FE8 ROM Hack project titled Fire Emblem: The Lonely Mirror, and I wanted to officially release the full game.

I should note that this new release will not be compatible with previous save files, at least past Chapter 7, as I had to do many ID remapping. I still would recommend starting a brand new save file.

Download:
You can download a UPS of Fire Emblem: The Lonely Mirror ROM hack on FE Universe:

https://feuniverse.us/t/fire-emblem-the-lonely-mirror-full-game-fe8-rom-hack/5712

Features:

• Original story and characters.
  • 36 playable chapter maps on single route of play (38 total).
  • 44 total playable characters.
  • Player choices that impact branching chapter maps, character recruitment, items, and enemy placements.
  • Unique chapter objectives and map interactivity.
  • Custom backgrounds that enhance story telling including hand-painted, storybook intro.
  • Custom battle sprites.
  • Newly introduced classes and weapon types.
  • Newly added music.
  • Many support conversations for additional character development
  • Special endings and paired ending epilogues based on supports.
  • Enhanced gameplay; though, staying true to classic GBA Fire Emblem.

Trailer:

What Comes Next?
I’d like to continue to improve the Lonely Mirror by adding more supports and character development as well as enhancing some of the existing maps. As always, I appreciate any feedback and support to make this hack the best that it possibly can be.

I am also planning on doing something with some of the popular characters (based on the poll) that will happen throughout 2021. Stay tuned for this!

It is kind of a strange feeling to be actually release an entire game though… I have been working A LOT on this project the last couple years, so it’s always an odd feeling for a project to be near the end. I hope more comes from it, because it’s been a lot of fun.

Edited by caladrius

• 4 weeks later...

I tried this hack, and I love it so far, but I'm pretty bad at fire emblem, so I got stuck on chapter 12. How do I beat it?
I have Caspian at level 12, Boone at level 10, Myles at level 6, and Liang at level 11.
What strategy do I use to complete the level? I feel like I'v tried everything, but that's far from true... I just can't think of anything else.

I don't want to give up because this hack has hooked me. But this chapter annoys the heck out of me.

Thanks if you can answer!

2 hours ago, Woruno said:

I tried this hack, and I love it so far, but I'm pretty bad at fire emblem, so I got stuck on chapter 12. How do I beat it?
I have Caspian at level 12, Boone at level 10, Myles at level 6, and Liang at level 11.
What strategy do I use to complete the level? I feel like I'v tried everything, but that's far from true... I just can't think of anything else.

I don't want to give up because this hack has hooked me. But this chapter annoys the heck out of me.

Thanks if you can answer!

I am happy that you are enjoying this hack, @Woruno. Chapter 12 can be one of the more challenging maps in the game for sure. On the bright side, it seems like your characters are decently leveled - aside from maybe Myles right now.

There are a couple choke points that make this chapter a lot easier, which I have indicated on the map in blue below.

1. The first thing you are going to want to do is hold the two points near the breakable wall and move everyone to the top left corner of the fort.
  2. Break the wall as early as possible. You should be able to get it done by the second turn.
  3. Have everyone leave the fort through the hole in the wall. Kill the minimal number of soldiers or monks in your way.
  4. Position your most defensive unit (Boone, Rob, Caspian) one space above the broken wall. Have Ariel sit on the tree for healing or ward support. Liang, Caspian, and Rob can also be positioned to help with ranged attacks. Have Myles and Travis clean up any stragglers or kill the troubadour for the physic. 

Ch12_chokepoints.png.6b364c1461f2c7f4c2e0d9b6beb405f6.png

This setup allows you to deal with one or a couple enemies at a time and will keep the majority of your party safe from harm. 

Hope this helps.

Excuse me but i can't find how to process chapter 30. I saw Lionel. And how can i escape that chapter? I did not see any route for my character to go through. The upper part of the map seemed blocked.

Ah okay i just use warp and land my char on the strange title. Thanks for a really great hack.

Edited by Endlessnight

8 hours ago, Endlessnight said:

Ah okay i just use warp and land my char on the strange title. Thanks for a really great hack.

This is one way to do it. I actually never thought of that. The intended way is just to use the switch in the middle of the map. I can add beaconing if this is difficult to identify. Hitting the switch will open the gate for one turn, so you can get enough of your units through. Then you can hit the other switch, which will lock the gate in place.

Hello again.
I have once again gotten stuck, this time on Chapter 16. I have Atticus at level 19 (I grinded him hard in the previous story arc) and tried rushing the enemies with only him.  It worked, but only Atticus escaped, and the rest of my units didn't. I expected the chapter to end. Is this like a Thracia 776 chapter 4 situation (where all non escapees are left behind and unavailable ever again) or do I just have to have Boone escape? 

I learned not to let everyone out because most of them will be weaponless for a while and fall quickly to the enemies
I deployed Caspian (16), Silvan (11), Saoirse (14), Parvati (10), Rob (9), and Liang (13) because those are the units I've been training up, but is it smarter to deploy units you'll never use so that when they get left behind, it's no great loss (*cough cough benji cough cough*)?
Your advice on Chapter 11 was really helpful, so I'm hoping you can help me out again? again, I'm not the greatest at FE games, and would appreciate the advice.
Thanks!

5 hours ago, Woruno said:

I have once again gotten stuck, this time on Chapter 16. I have Atticus at level 19 (I grinded him hard in the previous story arc) and tried rushing the enemies with only him.  It worked, but only Atticus escaped, and the rest of my units didn't. I expected the chapter to end. Is this like a Thracia 776 chapter 4 situation (where all non escapees are left behind and unavailable ever again) or do I just have to have Boone escape? 

Ch 16 requires you to escape with every unit you deploy. This means, Boone, Joseph, Wise, Eamon, Queenie, Atticus, and your 6 free slots. A character that is slayed on this chapter will not cause a game over unless it is your last unit on the map or a forced game over character (Boone). The end chapter event triggers when the last character on the map ends their turn on the escape points. 

Nice that you got Atticus to a high level too. He can be very good - both in combat and utility.

5 hours ago, Woruno said:

I learned not to let everyone out because most of them will be weaponless for a while and fall quickly to the enemies
I deployed Caspian (16), Silvan (11), Saoirse (14), Parvati (10), Rob (9), and Liang (13) because those are the units I've been training up, but is it smarter to deploy units you'll never use so that when they get left behind, it's no great loss (*cough cough benji cough cough*)?
Your advice on Chapter 11 was really helpful, so I'm hoping you can help me out again? again, I'm not the greatest at FE games, and would appreciate the advice.

You will need to let everyone out of the cell - even if not every character will be immediately useful or ever useful. Noelle can be a great choice on this map to help with movement. High mobility characters like Travis, Wyatt, Helga, and Ariel can be useful too. The team you want to deploy is pretty good. I might switch out someone for Noelle or maybe even a healer like Ariel or Shiloh (if you have him). Lastly keep in mind that the characters you deploy in the cell next to Joseph/Wise will always be gifted weapons automatically as long as Eamon is alive.

Hope that helps!

Hmm, for your first hack I think this was well done! Obviously there are issues and bugs but that goes without saying lol. I really do think the ideas you presented were great and well implemented. Some of the maps were really good too, I didn't feel like your characters were stolen from other games or just reskins. Some character portraits needed a rework, while others looked really damn good lol. Boon for example, his portrait would look perfect if you gave him cheekbones. some are too pixelated. Where as Leah, Atticus and Caspian look well done. Also I LOVE the smirk of contempt on Helga's face, as well as her relationship with Faith lol. 😄

Issues and Bugs:

-Hmm, Atticus's speed stat was maxed at the beginning of chapter 30, I had him hold a Silver Knife and his speed was reduced to 0 permanently lol. A Whisper with 0 speed = Useless. Restarted.
-Faith's hair could use a rework... doesn't look right.
-Most terrain doesn't give any stat bonuses in the first part of the game, tested with all characters, enemies however do receive the terrain bonuses (not cool lol). Not sure if that was intended. 
-Chapter 13: skipping dialogue after winning freezes the game. 
-Skipping dialogue at the end of Ch 16 freezes the game.
-2nd playthrough I saved a bunch of door keys for Ch 20, placing them in a characters inventory then starting the chapter, the keys disappear. so I tried putting the keys into storage and having Boone grab them and unlock the door, but they disappear from storage too. After unlocking the doors the keys seem to reappear. Some weirdly bugged keys here lol, I imagine its because of Eamon's appearance that chapter?
-Roxie gains no stats when promoting to a witch.
-A lot of supports don't work, which you already know but still counts and as highly upetting lol.

Honestly in comparison to the well known hacks out there, this isn't the best, but for a first time it was well done, and I did enjoy playing it, the story was decent too, few typos but not as many as I expected. Thank you and good luck in the future. 🙂

I am happy that you enjoyed the game and thank you for sharing some of the issues that you experienced. I will try to do my best to address them. I am also not an artist by trade and am both color and shade blind. I am sure it shows in some of my portraits, but I have physical limitations. It will be difficult for me to address every art sin I have made, but I keep trying.

On 2/12/2021 at 5:17 PM, Thorgrun said:

Hmm, Atticus's speed stat was maxed at the beginning of chapter 30, I had him hold a Silver Knife and his speed was reduced to 0 permanently lol. A Whisper with 0 speed = Useless. Restarted.

This one is concerning. It might be caused by increasing the Whisper's speed to beyond 30. I might have to reduce the whisper back down to 30 max, so that this issue doesn't happen. I have no idea why holding a silver knife would permanently reduce a speed stat to 0. Strange.

Most terrain doesn't give any stat bonuses in the first part of the game, tested with all characters, enemies however do receive the terrain bonuses (not cool lol). Not sure if that was intended. 

I have never experienced this, but you could be right. Do you have details on specific chapters this happens? I find it strange that this would only be happening in the first part of the game as terrain bonuses shouldn't be specific to chapters. If you are right, oh well. I don't think there is a way to fix this easily.

-Chapter 13: skipping dialogue after winning freezes the game. 
-Skipping dialogue at the end of Ch 16 freezes the game.

I wonder if this is happening at a specific moment, and if it has something to do with giving the player a choice. I might just turn off the ability to speed through or skip the cut scene if it is going to be a problem.

Roxie gains no stats when promoting to a witch.

Good catch! Easy fix. 🙂

A lot of supports don't work, which you already know but still counts and as highly upetting lol.

The support bonuses will at least work, but yes, there are many placeholder text. Supports take a lot of time to complete. Writing dialog can also be extremely draining after work - especially when trying to hit many different character personalities. I will be adding more overtime. I figured supports would be a marathon and not a sprint.

2nd playthrough I saved a bunch of door keys for Ch 20, placing them in a characters inventory then starting the chapter, the keys disappear. so I tried putting the keys into storage and having Boone grab them and unlock the door, but they disappear from storage too. After unlocking the doors the keys seem to reappear. Some weirdly bugged keys here lol, I imagine its because of Eamon's appearance that chapter?

The door key issues that you are experiencing should be intentional to prevent a separate issue from occurring; though, there might be another way for me to do this better. I might get to this eventually, but it is really not too high on my priority list right now. 

Honestly in comparison to the well known hacks out there, this isn't the best, but for a first time it was well done, and I did enjoy playing it, the story was decent too, few typos but not as many as I expected. Thank you and good luck in the future. 🙂

Please understand that I am just one guy. I work an 8am to 6pm job everyday and have other responsibilities in life like any other person. To create a hack like The Lonely Mirror took a lot of sacrifice - love, friendship, a healthy lifestyle, lots of sleep, and the enjoyment of other things in life. I knew this, and still chose the path, because I like being creative.

I don't appreciate comments like "nice try, but still not the best," because each Fire Emblem ROM hack is special in their own way. I am proud that I at least created a game that reasonably could have existed in the GBA Fire Emblem era. Let's treat Fire Emblem ROM hacks like a painting. Is the Mona Lisa your favorite? It might be, but paintings appeal to different people. 

I have yet to finish the game, but I'm already in love with it. I have been a little at odds with the Runeseeker class. I find the concept interesting, and I really wanted to use Parvati, but I am someone who really likes to keep strong weapon uses, and the rune finding system is just not for me. I almost have a heart attack each time a rune breaks XD

I have a very hard time creating my team because there are way too many characters I like.  The setting, characters, supports really have a Fire Emblem feel in my eyes, as though it was just another installment in the series, and not only a fan game. The maps present a good level of difficulty, even though I'm already having ptsd from

Spoiler

the nightly visit survival map (and a near heart attack from the surprise wyvern survival at the end of the seize chapter, where poor Winifred was building support with Silvan at like 5 hp down in the village and had to run back to not get slaughtered). I also REALLY enjoyed the prison map. Sending my units at every corner trying to get weaponized while making stands at times because I was getting overrun in one corner, making the best of what I could get, the sense of urgency coming back once the elite units start pouring in. Just mwah! Reminisced me a bit of Thracia without the dick move of "if commander gets through first, the rest of your army vanishes into oblivion for a few chapters", haha.

.I really like the variety in classes as well, even some that you would believe would be the same usually in Fire Emblems can at times have a nice twist (Lael ftw) and it makes discovering new characters entertaining even on a gameplay aspect.

I'd really like to see the complete support conversation collection down the line. I'm already planning multiple runs just to see what was implemented and not and delve a little deeper into each character. One thing I'd like to be implemented if possible would be a support conversation gallery which would always be open. Either you can review the support conversations in the base, or through a menu (maybe one is open after you beat the game, but I'm not yet aware of that). 

Spoiler

I'm also rooting for my poor Casp. Really liked the direction you took for his support with Boone, but I'm hoping I'll be able to heal his ailing heart in one of my playthroughs XD

I'm also unsure if what we've learned on the antagonists is true yet, but so far, I'm really liking their motivations. A nice spin on the typical Fire Emblem cult trying with ties to an ancestral evil sealed dragon.

Final point, I'm too attached to characters to play Ironman, but are there some dialogue changes depending on character deaths here and there, like in Path of Radiance for instance? I feel like if you would wish to add some character depth, it could be an interesting addition, though I'm unaware of how hard it would be to implement correctly.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to playing it throughout and seeing what comes afterwards if you end up adding in the remaining supports and refining the chapters.

Thank you for your kind words, @Lorneus.

On 2/14/2021 at 3:22 AM, Lorneus said:

I have been a little at odds with the Runeseeker class. I find the concept interesting, and I really wanted to use Parvati, but I am someone who really likes to keep strong weapon uses, and the rune finding system is just not for me. I almost have a heart attack each time a rune breaks XD

Parvati is definitely not a character for everyone, but she can be a fun and useful member your core party. You will need to break a lot of runes in order to level her up, and runes can be very powerful. She does turn into a more traditional unit upon promotion, so if you get there you can choose to use alternative weapons.

I have a very hard time creating my team because there are way too many characters I like. 

I feel the same way on my play throughs, but I have had a fun time trying out every character fully at least once. You can always go back and try different characters on another play through or difficulty. I have tried to incorporate some difficulty differences too.

but are there some dialogue changes depending on character deaths here and there, like in Path of Radiance for instance? I feel like if you would wish to add some character depth, it could be an interesting addition, though I'm unaware of how hard it would be to implement correctly.

There are a number of dialog changes that happens with character deaths. Rob and Wanda have notable ones, but I will be adding a couple more in a future patch. Luckily a lot of characters do retreat if they fall in battle, so many character will not permanently die. I will be adding more supports, but those do take some time.

Let me know how the rest of the game goes for you. 🙂

My pleasure ^^

So far, I'm down to ch. 23. Just promoted Myles into a swordmaster (Jaffar was my favorite from FE7, so I REALLY hesitated into making him an assassin, but I decided swordmaster just befit him better. And that crit animation is really sweet! Did I forget about it, or is it original? I'll probably try out assassin in another playthrough though. Next chapter, Vergil and Grant will gain their promotion too, probably Winifred as well. Won't be able to recruit Pepper unfortunately. I had Boone go the wrong way, so I couldn't take the sweet loot and seize at the same time, and she was a tad too reckless for me to protect her. Though, if I had used Atticus more, I could've gotten that sleep staff and put her to sleep I guess. I was counting on the unlock staff also unlocking chests like in Thracia without reading its description XD And I really like the griffin promotion for Joseph! Though it did have me bench Roxie because I now had a dark magic user and too many characters I wanted to use XD Also, is Vergil supposed to be kind of a Jagen? Because he's even more incredibly busted than Wyatt in my playthrough, and hasn't even been promoted yet XD He's a literal unkillable killing machine from the start XD He even keeps critting with handaxes, and I haven't given him a single stat boosting item XD

Oh, I was wondering, too. On the Archive chapter, a thief stole my master seal, and you couldn't take it off from him afterwards. I imagined it was to up the difficulty, but then on chapter 22, the same thing happened (though it was a boss thief, on the left boat) and the master seal was obtainable back if you defeated him. Is it intentional or a bug?

I did notice a few typos, and if ever, once I'm done with at least one playthrough, you'd be looking for a free proofreader, I could give it a shot if you'd like ^^ I'm used to correcting my friends' work, did it all the time in High School, and even a bit in College. I'm not a linguist master or anything, but I do enjoy reading and correcting errors when I find them. My policy is that if I find something that looks weird in Syntax, I leave the previous sentence and give a proposition for a new one to see if I understood the meaning well, too. Though, all in all, the typos aren't too distracting and they don't muddle the meaning of the dialog so far.

Yeah, I'll try Parvati on another playthrough. She's just not powerful enough to be useable right now, because I benched her too early. A bit like Faith. She's going to be kind of a hassle on ch. 23 XD At least Liang was a good berserk beacon, and he let Ariel level up a bit with restore uses XD

I'd really like to do all supports, so I'll definitely try multiple playthroughs and the hard mode (I'm not a good player, though I played every single game and finished them all bar FE6 and FE9, only on normal, so that might get a little frustrating to me, but it'll also hone my skills, and I certainly want to see that ch.20 character). Also, in the end, will there be a support gallery? I'd like to go through the supports at the moment, but at the same time, it kind of feels a little sad when it's only a placeholder, and I'd plan my playthroughs differently if I'd have to redo a whole support in a run to see it.

And it's nice to know about the dialog changes ^^ I might try an ironman someday, though that's kind of a nightmarish concept to me in these games XD

Anyways, I'll be sure to update when I finish the game as well, really enjoying it so far, and I've always liked branching class systems, so going that direction from sacred stones, and the new classes are sweet so far ^^ Promotions I've made were Benji to ranger, Caspian to hero, Joseph to Dark Griffon, Ariel to Valkyrie, and I'll make Winifred a Sniper, Vergil a Gold knight, and probably Grant a General, because they're just that cool, and I honestly don't really see the advantage of Halberdier in the Knight class branch apart from 1 move. Since you get two boots in the playthrough at least if played accordingly, the one move problem can be fixed rather easily if you plan to use him, and you lose a lot of variety in weapons, a good skill and some stats including CON. Maybe there's something I'm missing?

Hey @Lorneus

Happy to answer you questions. 🙂

On 2/16/2021 at 3:04 PM, Lorneus said:

So far, I'm down to ch. 23. Just promoted Myles into a swordmaster (Jaffar was my favorite from FE7, so I REALLY hesitated into making him an assassin, but I decided swordmaster just befit him better. And that crit animation is really sweet! Did I forget about it, or is it original? I'll probably try out assassin in another playthrough though.

Chapter 23 is one of the more difficult maps in the game. Congrats on promoting Myles. You honestly can't go wrong with swordmaster or assassin. I actually prefer assassin just because of access to knives. Myles can do a lot with easier access to 1-2 range weapons. Swordmaster is great too! The animation is different from the original. 

Also, is Vergil supposed to be kind of a Jagen? Because he's even more incredibly busted than Wyatt in my playthrough, and hasn't even been promoted yet XD He's a literal unkillable killing machine from the start XD He even keeps critting with handaxes, and I haven't given him a single stat boosting item XD

There really isn't a true Jagen in this game, but Wyatt fits the archetype the best as the older character who may be a little better than the team for a few chapters, but I find he drops off rather fast (probably be Ch 22). Vergil can very easily become busted depending on how he levels. It sounds like yours turned out excellent. I've also had Vergil suffer in speed or defense in the beginning and it affected him in later maps. Additionally, Vergil is absent for many chapters.

Oh, I was wondering, too. On the Archive chapter, a thief stole my master seal, and you couldn't take it off from him afterwards. I imagined it was to up the difficulty, but then on chapter 22, the same thing happened (though it was a boss thief, on the left boat) and the master seal was obtainable back if you defeated him. Is it intentional or a bug?

I think the only way to get it back is to have a thief (Atticus) in your party. There might be a setting on the thieves that I can change to make the last stolen item droppable. I believe that is how the vanilla game handled this.

I'd really like to do all supports, so I'll definitely try multiple playthroughs and the hard mode (I'm not a good player, though I played every single game and finished them all bar FE6 and FE9, only on normal, so that might get a little frustrating to me, but it'll also hone my skills, and I certainly want to see that ch.20 character). Also, in the end, will there be a support gallery?

The support gallery should unlock after you complete the game once. Let me know if you run into problems. More supports will come eventually too.

You do get a unique character in Maddening mode, so it could be worth checking out for him. He can become a dark griffon too, but Joseph is still easier to use; though, more wind focused than dark. You can also try the alternate Ch14/Ch17 that you didn't do and character. I am also thinking about adding Gaiden chapters on Maddening mode eventually, so that could be a reason to check it out later. 

Grant a General, because they're just that cool, and I honestly don't really see the advantage of Halberdier in the Knight class branch apart from 1 move. Since you get two boots in the playthrough at least if played accordingly, the one move problem can be fixed rather easily if you plan to use him, and you lose a lot of variety in weapons, a good skill and some stats including CON. Maybe there's something I'm missing?

I might be changing Halberdier to Great Knight in a future patch, but for now, Halberdier can be good for the extra movement and the critical hit bonus. Grant also has good skill and power to do pretty well as a Halberdier. General is good for more weapons, a good skill, and suits Grant's stats a little bit better.

Yo I'm loving the hack so far, especially parvarti because she's fun to use even if she's probably not meta. I ran into a bit of a problem though while finishing chapter 21 because once I finnish the chapter all i get is a black screen after the cutscene with that one guy who has the beserk harp. Was just wondering if I accidently missed something in the read_me or if I got the wrong patch.

1 hour ago, KingElegar said:

Yo I'm loving the hack so far, especially parvarti because she's fun to use even if she's probably not meta. I ran into a bit of a problem though while finishing chapter 21 because once I finnish the chapter all i get is a black screen after the cutscene with that one guy who has the beserk harp. Was just wondering if I accidently missed something in the read_me or if I got the wrong patch.

Parvati does require some unusual investment, but she can be pretty good. She is definitely fun and seems to be one of the more popular characters.

I have heard reports of the black screen on Ch21. I am personally not encountered this, and I think it might be tied to the emulator you use. I am going to see if there is anything off about the way that cutscene is built. Honestly there is nothing special about how it is built. Did you miss the whole cutscene? What tool are you using to run the game? 

24 minutes ago, caladrius said:

Parvati does require some unusual investment, but she can be pretty good. She is definitely fun and seems to be one of the more popular characters.

I have heard reports of the black screen on Ch21. I am personally not encountered this, and I think it might be tied to the emulator you use. I am going to see if there is anything off about the way that cutscene is built. Honestly there is nothing special about how it is built. Did you miss the whole cutscene? What tool are you using to run the game? 

I was using john GBA lite but i moved on to john GBAC and I'm still running into the same issue. I'm gonna try to run through the game again because I want to redo my core character party and then I was thinking of finishing chapter 21 without exiting the map with a rescued unit (i.e. Boon carries Leah and then escapes) because that's the only thing that I can think of. Of course if you know a specific emulator to use to avoid the problem I'm all ears.

P.S. I tried viewing the cutscene and then I attempted to skip the entire cutscene but either way I reach a black screen

Edited by KingElegar

1 hour ago, KingElegar said:

I was using john GBA lite but i moved on to john GBAC and I'm still running into the same issue. I'm gonna try to run through the game again because I want to redo my core character party and then I was thinking of finishing chapter 21 without exiting the map with a rescued unit (i.e. Boon carries Leah and then escapes) because that's the only thing that I can think of. Of course if you know a specific emulator to use to avoid the problem I'm all ears.

P.S. I tried viewing the cutscene and then I attempted to skip the entire cutscene but either way I reach a black screen

The emulator I recommend using is Visual Boy Advance 2.0.2. I have reviewed the end event for Ch 21, and I am not seeing anything out of place aside from maybe an audio difference that could be causing a problem. I am going to update it regardless.

Chapter 23 is one of the more difficult maps in the game. Congrats on promoting Myles. You honestly can't go wrong with swordmaster or assassin. I actually prefer assassin just because of access to knives. Myles can do a lot with easier access to 1-2 range weapons. Swordmaster is great too! The animation is different from the original. 

You tell me XD I haven't advanced much yet as I was occupied, but I've gone through 23 and it was quite hectic. It didn't help that I benched Faith in the first part though. It was a little annoying that enemies stopped giving exp after a certain point, though I get that you could abuse it too easily otherwise. Is it for that reason as well that there are no coliseums so far?

My Myles always suffered a whole lot in strength and he had trouble leveling for a while, but giving him the sonic sword helped a huge amount. He's pretty great now.

You do get a unique character in Maddening mode, so it could be worth checking out for him. He can become a dark griffon too, but Joseph is still easier to use; though, more wind focused than dark. You can also try the alternate Ch14/Ch17 that you didn't do and character. I am also thinking about adding Gaiden chapters on Maddening mode eventually, so that could be a reason to check it out later. 

Oh, I thought he was on Hard XD Well, better gear up then XP

I might be changing Halberdier to Great Knight in a future patch, but for now, Halberdier can be good for the extra movement and the critical hit bonus. Grant also has good skill and power to do pretty well as a Halberdier. General is good for more weapons, a good skill, and suits Grant's stats a little bit better.

Hmm, maybe, but I kinda like the idea of Halberdier. I think it would just need some tweaks. For example, access to long range bows makes sniper a very interesting alternative to the mounted bow units. Perhaps you could add some long range spears only usable by pikemen and halberdiers? I didn't notice the increased crit, but that would increase its utility as well, it would be like a discount archer without effectiveness against flying who can defend themselves up close with lances. I don't know. I don't think it's completely to take out, even though the great knight is very interesting because of its movement, but I really liked the unique paths like that. Maybe providing them with a skill otherwise could make the ption more interesting. If they're mostly crit based, maybe something in the vein of wrath? It would be very Nephenee-like but could still work XD Then again, they come with innate defenses from Knight, so wrath may be a little busted to give just like that.