Fire Emblem: The Lonely Mirror [Completed]

caladrius

Hello @Saint Rubenio and @Lorneus,

I apologize for the late response to your posts. I know I have a bit of a backlog to catch up on. Hope your are ready to begin 2022 and plan to make it a good year. Mine was very eventful to say the least. Mostly in good ways. 😄

I always love seeing peoples' experiences with different characters. I honestly believe most any character in the game can be good and certainly useable (though, some are stronger than others).

• Saint Rubenio: You are using bearded characters again! Okay, maybe just Kurtis and Tarin. I also like Caden and Joseph's beards too. Cool to see you checked out Knox and Alouette. Honestly, both seem very good. Knox may have been rng blessed when I have used him though. Agreed. Alouette scales wonderfully with some levels. Also nice to see Queenie and Danika get some attention. I don't see them used too often. Also yes, Atticus is a very strong unit. Probably in the top 10 best units in the game. Nevermore is a candidate for the best weapon in the game. It's practically a 1-3 ranged Merciless with monster effectiveness.
  • Lorneus: I would rank Joseph, Caspian, Wise, and Myles  in the top 10 best units to use in the game. They look about how I would expect them to look at high levels. I am happy to see Grant and Benji though. Both can be really good units. I feel a lot of people write Benji off due to his weird growths, but he is not a bad unit, and I find he has a high ceiling. Grant is pretty nice with the new armor only weapons too. Great unit to have around, and I personally like Grant more than Rob as a unit for his hit rate, but Rob's speed can be nice too.
On 12/16/2021 at 1:09 PM, Lorneus said:

- Knox replaced Irina, but was still a witch. He had the Humanoid portrait as well. The character in the support logs appears as the right class and portrait Knox. Irina counts as though I never recruited her.
- supports got janky (Roxie lost her B support with Noelle, but Noelle kept it, and Atticus and Roxie still had their B support. By completing Roxie X Atticus, I could then complete Noelle X Roxie and Roxie had 2 A supports. Boone and Leah suddenly got B support in the support log even though I never had any supports between them)

Ah yes, many of these bugs are expected if you ran the newer version of the game with an older save file. I had to move around a lot of character IDs, which would have caused support confusion as well as Knox replacing Irina. These should not normally happen. Regarding 17x, I think most people don't really like that particular map. I've really only heard negative things about it. I wanted to make a darker map. 

What's going on now?

Ultimately, I have kind of fallen out of love with ROM hacking over the last couple months and am very apathetic about Fire Emblem in general. A lot of the negative responses to The Lonely Mirror has just drained every ounce of inspiration out of me. I feel like over the course of the project I have tried my best to please everyone even though it is literally impossible. I am also saddened by the many comments I continue hear: "so and so chapter is terrible," "why can't I recruit everyone" "the story sucks," "it seems like you never test played" "too many bulky enemies," "music is so bad it's meme-able," "all the maddening chapters are absolute garbage," "so and so character's portrait burns my eyes; it's laughable how bad the art is," etc.

It takes so much time to do literally everything to make a game, and it's really not feasible for one person with full time jobs. I find myself questioning every day what is the personal incentive to write more supports or finetune the game further. I don't feel like that incentive exists. I will be fixing all the spelling errors that you found, @Saint Rubenio. I respect the time that you put in to find these issues and will follow through on my end.

I guess I tried my best, but it was never good enough... and getting back on the bike feels like a long, long adventure where life would just pass me by. I suppose we'll see. Still thank you for the support and warm messages. Cheers! 😄

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey caladrius, sorry to hear that some internet trolls got to you with their negative and toxic comments. I witnessed some of those in the FEU thread just before you shut it down, that was just cruel. And I really don't understand the hate, I think your hack has all the qualities to rank among the best of them! I for one especially like the challenging nature of your maddening mode and for those who don't like this level of difficulty you implemented plenty of other modes. You have created and consistently updated a massive and basically fully completed hack, which is truly something to be proud of. I wish I had your dedication to FE hacking but I just prefer playing them and am very thankful that people like you create these awesome hacks that in my mind are on par or even better than some of the official releases.

You did a really good job, caladrius! I can totally understand if you need a break from FE hacking and internet trolling and I wish you all the best for the future. Cheers!

5 hours ago, caladrius said:

Saint Rubenio: You are using bearded characters again! Okay, maybe just Kurtis and Tarin. I also like Caden and Joseph's beards too.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Your designs are on point. Some portraits may be a little rough around the edges, but the creativity and originality in the designs themselves more than make up for any flaws they may have. They're memorable, is what I'm saying.

Regarding 17x, I think most people don't really like that particular map. I've really only heard negative things about it. I wanted to make a darker map. 

Wait, what? People don't like 17x? It was one of the highlights of the second run for me. I mean, sure, it's super dark and brutal, but who says that's necessarily a bad thing? The concept for the map was amazing.

Ultimately, I have kind of fallen out of love with ROM hacking over the last couple months and am very apathetic about Fire Emblem in general. A lot of the negative responses to The Lonely Mirror has just drained every ounce of inspiration out of me. I feel like over the course of the project I have tried my best to please everyone even though it is literally impossible. I am also saddened by the many comments I continue hear: "so and so chapter is terrible," "why can't I recruit everyone" "the story sucks," "it seems like you never test played" "too many bulky enemies," "music is so bad it's meme-able," "all the maddening chapters are absolute garbage," "so and so character's portrait burns my eyes; it's laughable how bad the art is," etc.

It takes so much time to do literally everything to make a game, and it's really not feasible for one person with full time jobs. I find myself questioning every day what is the personal incentive to write more supports or finetune the game further. I don't feel like that incentive exists. 

Such a shame to read this. People can get really unpleasant on the internet. Don't let the hate get to you, it's not worth it. And hey, ROM hacking is something folks do for fun. I've heard plenty of horror stories from hackers that burned out while writing supports. It appears to be the most tedious and annoying part of making a hack. If it's no longer fun, there's no need to force yourself to do it.

Besides, the hack's in a good place now, even if supports aren't fully complete. Honestly who needs supports when you have chapter 26x, like seriously it still blows my mind how much effort you put into that. Gameplay's finished, story's finished. No matter what anyone says, ultimately, you finished a hack. That's something not everyone manages to do. And sure, it's not perfect, but then again, nothing is perfect. At the end of the day, this is the point to remember: Lonely Mirror was good enough that I wanted to replay it a mere few months after my first run, and I'm fairly certain I'll be returning to it again in the future. In this internet rando's humble opinion, you've done a great job.

So, no matter where you go and what you do now, I want to wish you the best and thank you one more time for all of your hard work. I've come to truly love Lonely Mirror, it is one of my favorite hacks. And it has Kurtis in it. I cannot stress it enough, I don't like pegasus knights ever. The fact that you made one that I can safely call my favorite character in the game is something I never thought I'd see. So thanks for that!

I will be fixing all the spelling errors that you found, @Saint Rubenio. I respect the time that you put in to find these issues and will follow through on my end.

Hey, I would appreciate a typo patch, but only if you feel up to it. Again, the hack's in a good place now. Don't push yourself.

I don't post on this site aside from an RP, but seeing this post kinda compels me to. I've really enjoyed LM and all of the time I've had with it. I do share some of the same gripes with it like 17x being a bit of a slap in the face if you don't know how you're going about it, and stuff like some of the sprites being not too great, but the game around it has been enjoyable enough that it's currently the only romhack I've played more than once, and the only romhack that I've cared enough to play that doesn't feature an swappable avatar so I can use OC sprites and stuff. I've played exclusively on Maddening, and in light of that, I've never felt like the enemies were too bulky. Even watching a friend play on hard, the enemies never feel too out of reach to kill with good play. For what this hack offers with the efforts of one person, it's really incredible, as someone who eventually wants to do his own, but is too afraid to get on that bike because of what's happening here. 

I hope you can find that spark to finish up your content, but if not, I personally think LM will stand the test of the time as it is. Thanks for making such a good game.

• Lorneus: I would rank Joseph, Caspian, Wise, and Myles  in the top 10 best units to use in the game. They look about how I would expect them to look at high levels. I am happy to see Grant and Benji though. Both can be really good units. I feel a lot of people write Benji off due to his weird growths, but he is not a bad unit, and I find he has a high ceiling. Grant is pretty nice with the new armor only weapons too. Great unit to have around, and I personally like Grant more than Rob as a unit for his hit rate, but Rob's speed can be nice too.

Maybe that's why. I like survival, so an archer with high defenses and an awesome CG? Sign me up! Plus, range is very useful XD Then again, I liked pretty much all the archers in this hack, haha.

Regarding 17x, I think most people don't really like that particular map. I've really only heard negative things about it. I wanted to make a darker map. 

Well, imo, you truly succeeded. I mean, without that map, you can't even have a smidge of a chance to recruit the alternate route characters. I guess what might've made it disappointing for some people was that you could lose one of the main White Lions through it, perhaps? But I'm a sucker for drama, so that was a detail I truly loved!

"so and so chapter is terrible," "why can't I recruit everyone" "the story sucks," "it seems like you never test played" "too many bulky enemies," "music is so bad it's meme-able," "all the maddening chapters are absolute garbage," "so and so character's portrait burns my eyes; it's laughable how bad the art is," etc.

Eh, there'll always be discontent people. I think this is a byproduct of people going into the game from Awakening and never going to the earlier games, most likely. Might not be, but honestly the types of comments there seem pretty ignorant of older GBA titles. Recruiting everyone? There were always choices in earlier titles. Story sucks? Have you played Fates? Bulky enemies? The difficulty might've been higher than other games, and the enemies were quite bulky earlier on, so I could give that to them, but the difficulty didn't just come from bulky enemies, so I feel it is reductive and probably comes from lack of strategy. I should know, I'm a terrible strategist. Music is bad? Okay, that's got nothing to do with anything. Just seems like people who want to shit on things for the sake of it. I haven't played maddening so I can't comment on that one, but if you don't like that difficulty, just don't play it? There's a million other options to cater your experience so... As for the portraits, there might be a few that look a little uncanny, but in general, they're on par with GBA titles, and we can see there's efforts put into their design and look. They've also been updated as time went on and it was noticeable. At this state of the game, none looks out of place. Then again, everyone has their own tastes, but it seems like exaggeration to be a dick more than anything.

Ultimately, don't burn yourself out. I think you've created something amazing. I rarely feel compelled to do a second run of Fire Emblem as fast as I did yours. The hack is in a good state. I would enjoy more support conversations a lot, and probably plan to try and 100% supports despite there being placeholders, but still, if you feel like it'll only tire you and you won't enjoy it while doing it, leave it while you're still alright. It shows this has passion into it, and going through with it just for the sake of it wouldn't be beneficial.

That said, if you ever get the spark back, I'll be sure to go through your new additions! Always like to see what you have in store!

Take care of yourself!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2021 at 2:09 AM, caladrius said:

I apologize for the late response to your posts. I know I have a bit of a backlog to catch up on. Hope your are ready to begin 2022 and plan to make it a good year. Mine was very eventful to say the least. Mostly in good ways. 😄

I always love seeing peoples' experiences with different characters. I honestly believe most any character in the game can be good and certainly useable (though, some are stronger than others).

• Saint Rubenio: You are using bearded characters again! Okay, maybe just Kurtis and Tarin. I also like Caden and Joseph's beards too. Cool to see you checked out Knox and Alouette. Honestly, both seem very good. Knox may have been rng blessed when I have used him though. Agreed. Alouette scales wonderfully with some levels. Also nice to see Queenie and Danika get some attention. I don't see them used too often. Also yes, Atticus is a very strong unit. Probably in the top 10 best units in the game. Nevermore is a candidate for the best weapon in the game. It's practically a 1-3 ranged Merciless with monster effectiveness.

Ah yes, many of these bugs are expected if you ran the newer version of the game with an older save file. I had to move around a lot of character IDs, which would have caused support confusion as well as Knox replacing Irina. These should not normally happen. Regarding 17x, I think most people don't really like that particular map. I've really only heard negative things about it. I wanted to make a darker map. 

What's going on now?

It takes so much time to do literally everything to make a game, and it's really not feasible for one person with full time jobs. I find myself questioning every day what is the personal incentive to write more supports or finetune the game further. I don't feel like that incentive exists. I will be fixing all the spelling errors that you found, @Saint Rubenio. I respect the time that you put in to find these issues and will follow through on my end.

I guess I tried my best, but it was never good enough... and getting back on the bike feels like a long, long adventure where life would just pass me by. I suppose we'll see. Still thank you for the support and warm messages. Cheers! 😄

Hi caladrius! I just started my playthrough of your hack and although I'm not very far in I just want to say that from my standpoint I can tell you've created a very quality experience. I'm sorry to hear that some people reacted to your work in such a distasteful manner. Although it seems the damage is already done I just want to tell you that no Fire Emblem game out there is perfect. Hell, I was just excited to see 3 different difficulties to choose from at the very start of the game! More people are probably excited to see more stuff from you than you would think, including me! I hope that another warm message from a random stranger will help to lessen the damage the mean messages have caused you. Have a nice day and thank you for your contribution to the community!!!!!

On 12/21/2021 at 2:09 AM, caladrius said:

What's going on now?

When you said that people berated this game I was appalled! I can’t believe people would/could say anything negative about this amazing work of art you’ve created! I was one of the first ones to jump on playing this gem when you first released it some years back now and it’s only grown into what I can proudly say is a masterpiece in the rom hacking community. Please don’t let those people discourage you and belittle the tremendous amount of work you’ve put into this. I appreciate this game so much because of how different and well put together it was. (I was the guy that was testing on my ps3 and wanted a few qol stuff) lol I understand if you don’t ever want to come back after the horrendous things they’ve said but just know that I truly have enjoyed every minute/playthrough I’ve done of this masterpiece and have recommended it to as many people as I could and will still recommend it. I bet it’s just people that want AAA game development on a passion project which Will never happen but it’s sad to see such ignorance being thrown your way. Also, if it’s people from FEU (from what I saw on your thread before you took it down) then I feel like it’s them just being elitists. A lot of people there nitpick the smallest of things because they “think” they know better than anyone on what makes a fire emblem game. So don’t take to heart what people say because at the end of the day all that matters is if you had fun putting it together. I could never have dreamed of doing something as grand as this by myself and seeing as you put this together with what resources you had is still astounding to this day. I wish you all the best in life and I hope maybe one day you’ll come back and prove (again) to all the nay sayers that what you create is as good(or in my opinion) better than any actual Fire emblem game created by a whole company. May 2022 be your year to shine my friend! Stay safe and healthy 🖖🏻

Edited by animefreak12
Added content

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to let everyone know that I have released a new patch of The Lonely Mirror: FE_LonelyMirror_FullGame_v3_2_Classic and FE_LonelyMirror_FullGame_v3_2_Friendly. These are extremely minor patch releases, so do not expect much in these but it is something!

What's in this version?

• Many text corrections identified by @Saint Rubenio have been implemented.
  • A couple of minor bug fixes have been corrected.
  • Chapter 18x Gaiden is available on all difficulties/all versions. I figured this one is not Proclaimer focused, so I provided access to this map.
  • Added a silly Elder Marge house conversation to Prelude 1. Visiting the house multiple times may change up the Mercer side quest greatly. Mercer can join very early in Chapter 15 as a result, but without Merciless. Merciless is then obtainable by moving near the secret shop with Mercer on either Chapter 17 with a special conversation with Anna. As a result of this branch, Mercer's Secret Shop is closed and Chapter 18x is not accessible. 
  • Wise x Wanda support is in game now.

Also, thank you much for the support @TheRomHackist and @animefreak12 and honestly everyone. 😄 I definitely want to do more with The Lonely Mirror, because I do enjoy working on this hack. I will at least be getting in more supports, bug fixes, and any rebalancing that might be necessary; though, I do think the maps and characters are pretty well balanced right now.

Just now, caladrius said:

I wanted to let everyone know that I have released a new patch of The Lonely Mirror: FE_LonelyMirror_FullGame_v3_2_Classic and FE_LonelyMirror_FullGame_v3_2_Friendly. These are extremely minor patch releases, so do not expect much in these but it is something!

What's in this version?

• Chapter 18x Gaiden is available on all difficulties/all versions. I figured this one is not Proclaimer focused, so I provided access to this map.
  • Added a silly Elder Marge house conversation to Prelude 1. Visiting the house multiple times may change up the Mercer side quest greatly. Mercer can join very early in Chapter 15 as a result, but without Merciless. Merciless is then obtainable by moving near the secret shop with Mercer on either Chapter 17 with a special conversation with Anna. As a result of this branch, Mercer's Secret Shop is closed and Chapter 18x is not accessible. 

Sounds good! "Silly conversation" in particular. You've a knack for comedic scenes, as Amanda handily proves. Just... everything Amanda. Every time that wonderful woman was on screen she had me rolling. Now I'm interested in seeing what this new Marge convo is!

Just now, caladrius said:

Also, thank you much for the support @TheRomHackist and @animefreak12 and honestly everyone. 😄 I definitely want to do more with The Lonely Mirror, because I do enjoy working on this hack. I will at least be getting in more supports, bug fixes, and any rebalancing that might be necessary; though, I do think the maps and characters are pretty well balanced right now.

Yes, gameplay is in a good place. Take your time with the supports. It's really easy to get burned out while doing those, and there's no reason to rush. I'll be looking forward to any future patches you may wish to release!

You also need to give Kurtis a character spotlight, or at least share the artwork for everyone to see! I feel a bit bad being the only one to have it, it's gorgeous!

Actually, on that subject, it just occured to me. I think it might be a good idea to copy-paste the existing spotlights here, since the FEUniverse thread is unlisted. Just an idea, if you feel like doing it.

3 hours ago, caladrius said:

What's in this version?

Oooh! Wise x Wanda was one of the supports I wanted to do in my first run 😃 I'll have to try out that silly Marge conversation one day too! 

I definitely think the maps and characters are in a good place as it is! As I've said a couple times (though maybe not here) this hack really feels like an actual Fire Emblem game to me. And the characters and classes are fun and unique. 

I'll definitely stay around for the supports! I think you're quite good at them, and I'm intrigued to know more about those characters. Happy to see you back with LM, though as Ruben said, don't go too hard. Go at your own pace and take the time to create what you like. You have something to be proud of in what you delivered here, and I mean that! I wouldn't want you to feel unsatisfied in the end because you worked yourself to the bone trying to attain any sort of expectation and wrote things in an overwhelmed state. Take care!

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Actually, on that subject, it just occured to me. I think it might be a good idea to copy-paste the existing spotlights here, since the FEUniverse thread is unlisted. Just an idea, if you feel like doing it.

Oooh, I second this! I think they were pretty well made and it's a shame they're locked to the dead thread. I think it would shine pretty well and add to the presentation.

• 2 months later...

Question on chapter 9

Was there supposed to be unique dialogue for Boone on entering the southernmost house?

EDIT: Whoops, fixed the event. I realized I didn't have enough gold in my inventory to trigger it, so I sold a blue gem.

Edited by Bob of the A

In regards to 17x- I went in blind, and I have to say I'm enjoying the chapter. I've always been a fan of darker content, so having a chapter like this is pretty great.

I do have to ask, though- is it possible to save all the hostages? Given the context I'm assuming that it isn't possible to get all of them, but I figured I'd ask.

On 4/7/2022 at 2:23 PM, kinglan10 said:

Is there a list of paired support endings?

I never wrote up an official list of paired support endings as it is something I am still working on piecing together. There are a number of special epilogue scenes that you can see if you get two specific characters to A support. Those include:

Spoiler
  • Boone x Ariel
  • Boone x Caspian
  • Boone x Myles
  • Boone x Silvan
  • Joseph x Queenie
  • Joseph x Myles
  • Joseph x Caden
  • Joseph x Wise
  • Wise x Shane
  • Wise x Tanya
  • Wise x Wanda
  • Lael x Myles
  • Lael x Queenie
  • Leah x Myles
  • Leah x Caden
  • Leah x Vergil

In addition to special endings, here are some paired endings that also exist.

Spoiler
  • Liang x Noelle
  • Liang x Irina
  • Knox x Riley
  • Parvati x Tanya
  • Eamon x Shiloh
  • Sterling x Riley
  • Alouette x Knox
  • Vergil x Wanda
  • Vergil x Roxie
  • Vergil x Grant
  • Grant x Mercer
  • Kathryn  x Eamon
  • Atticus x Parvati
  • Atticus x Brett
  • Atticus x Liang
  • Silvan x Ozias
  • Travis x Vergil
  • Travis x Rob
  • Myles x Winifred
  • Boone x Queenie

On 4/10/2022 at 4:06 AM, Bob of the A said:

In regards to 17x- I went in blind, and I have to say I'm enjoying the chapter. I've always been a fan of darker content, so having a chapter like this is pretty great.

I do have to ask, though- is it possible to save all the hostages? Given the context I'm assuming that it isn't possible to get all of them, but I figured I'd ask.

Most people really dislike Chapter 17x, because you are forced to let characters die. To answer your question, it is not possible to save every character without hacking the game. I suppose it does give incentive to try out different characters on different runs. 

11 hours ago, caladrius said:

Most people really dislike Chapter 17x, because you are forced to let characters die. To answer your question, it is not possible to save every character without hacking the game. I suppose it does give incentive to try out different characters on different runs. 

I can see why they dislike it, but I think it's cool. On chapter 22 so far, really loving the hack- you've done some truly great work with it. Yeah, I figured it wasn't possible without hacking.

I chose Maddening as the difficulty for this playthrough, and that was probably not what I should have started with for my first ever playthrough, but oh well. There were a few chapters that were pretty frustrating but overall, I don't have anything negative to say.

Oh, and unpopular decision/opinion- I let Caspian die on 17x. He was a solid unit, but Silvan was better in pretty much every way (Strength/skill/speed blessed). That, and having read his C and B supports with Caspian I felt that it really gave the chapter a more tragic end.

Hey thanks for the reply I do hope more supports would be added at some point since I'm enjoying the cast of characters you've put together.  🙂

Btw I do have 2 more questions. 

1. Secret shops? Are there any in the late game? I did see your post about secret shops (how they are found in so early and mid chapters), but then I found one on Chapter 26 but was disappointed that it didn't have master seals.

2. How exactly do I find Roxie in chapter 22? the Recruitment guide says enter the northern sandbar with a flying unit. I sent Wise up to that northwestern strip, thinking that might be the location but no dice. Maybe I should've searched while fog was still around?

Anyway, I'm really enjoying this Rom hack and it's quite possibly my favorite out of the ones I've played so far.  🙂 

Edited by kinglan10

13 hours ago, Bob of the A said:

I can see why they dislike it, but I think it's cool. On chapter 22 so far, really loving the hack- you've done some truly great work with it. Yeah, I figured it wasn't possible without hacking.

Thank you! I don't think I have heard anything too positive about The Lonely Mirror since November-ish. I used to think people may be being too critical of the project until it became something of a trend. I happy you are at least having fun. There are some people who really have enjoy it. 

Maddening difficulty is tough for most people. Cool that you are up for the challenge. Poor Caspian. 😞 Yeah, Silvan is IMO a better unit than Caspian, but Caspian is still a solid unit and is a little more well rounded compared to Silvan.

12 hours ago, kinglan10 said:

1. Secret shops? Are there any in the late game? I did see your post about secret shops (how they are found in so early and mid chapters), but then I found one on Chapter 26 but was disappointed that it didn't have master seals.

I think Ch29 has Master Seals in the Secret Shop. Though, I am not sure if it is in the build you are playing. I may have added it recently. There are also two secret shops on Ch 30 found on the tiles that are sort of islands (2 sides water, 2 sides walls)

13 hours ago, kinglan10 said:

2. How exactly do I find Roxie in chapter 22? the Recruitment guide says enter the northern sandbar with a flying unit. I sent Wise up to that northwestern strip, thinking that might be the location but no dice. Maybe I should've searched while fog was still around?

She is only recruitable while the fog is still around. Any flier can recruit her: Helga, Wise, Kurtis, Joseph, and Riley. Happy you are also enjoying the game.

14 hours ago, kinglan10 said:

Hey thanks for the reply I do hope more supports would be added at some point since I'm enjoying the cast of characters you've put together.  🙂

Supports are the most tedious part of a hack to make, according to every hacker I've ever seen talking about the matter, but I agree it'd be great to get them if at all possible. I enjoy the cast also, I'd love more of them, haha.

14 hours ago, Bob of the A said:

Oh, and unpopular decision/opinion- I let Caspian die on 17x. He was a solid unit, but Silvan was better in pretty much every way (Strength/skill/speed blessed). That, and having read his C and B supports with Caspian I felt that it really gave the chapter a more tragic end.

That's understandable. Unfortunately for them, from a gameplay perspective, the earlygame White Lion is probably the second-best option for a sacrifice, so long as you haven't actively been using them. First would be Shiloh/Riley, as they're both far too underlevelled at this point. Honestly, I would've liked to trade Tanya in for Wanda, she was so underwhelming. But it is what it is.

1 hour ago, caladrius said:

I used to think people may be being too critical of the project until it became something of a trend.

People are wrong and so is the trend.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's understandable. Unfortunately for them, from a gameplay perspective, the earlygame White Lion is probably the second-best option for a sacrifice, so long as you haven't actively been using them. First would be Shiloh/Riley, as they're both far too underlevelled at this point.

I don't know. I always find Shiloh pretty good, even during 17x. At a minimum, he at least can be a secondary healer to Ariel during chapter 18. Shiloh also has a very good endgame performance as a Bishop if he picks up steam. Healers also don't need to see combat to be useful, and Shiloh's heals are potent. Riley is probably the easiest sacrifice at that point in the game. Danika may not bring much too the table either unless you really want to use her or need an immediate mounted archer. 

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's hard to say. The Lonely Mirror is more of a call back to the old GBA Fire Emblem games, and a lot of people have problems playing those games - especially after playing the newer games. The game can feel dry to some players because it has less quality of life improvements and no skills. A lot of people also criticize the character portraits, the music/sfx, the Maddening difficulty (including certain things being locked to Maddening), the story, not being able to recruit every character (this one is silly IMO), and Amanda requirements. The people that tend to like the game are typically fans of the old games.

I don't know. I always find Shiloh pretty good, even during 17x. At a minimum, he at least can be a secondary healer to Ariel during chapter 18. Shiloh also has a very good endgame performance as a Bishop if he picks up steam. Healers also don't need to see combat to be useful, and Shiloh's heals are potent. Riley is probably the easiest sacrifice at that point in the game. Danika may not bring much too the table either unless you really want to use her or need an immediate mounted archer. 

Interesting. I haven't used Shiloh in either of my runs. I was too invested in Katherin in my first, and he was too dead in my second. Perhaps he'll get his chance in my third, eventually.

It's hard to say. The Lonely Mirror is more of a call back to the old GBA Fire Emblem games, and a lot of people have problems playing those games - especially after playing the newer games. The game can feel dry to some players because it has less quality of life improvements and no skills. A lot of people also criticize the character portraits, the music/sfx, the Maddening difficulty (including certain things being locked to Maddening), the story, not being able to recruit every character (this one is silly IMO), and Amanda requirements. The people that tend to like the game are typically fans of the old games.

Well, to each their own. The hack's not perfect, as nothing is, and disliking it is perfectly reasonable (so long as one's not disrespectful about it), but I've said it before and I'll say it again: You should be proud of it. It's quite the undertaking and you brought it to 99% completion. And hey, it's got its humble share of fans. I should know, I'm one of 'em! As far as I'm concerned, what the hack may've lacked in fancy mechanics, you compensated with innovative map design and chapter concepts. Never felt dry at all, quite the opposite. I'm really glad I got to play it.

...Seriously, I still don't get why 17x is so unpopular. The concept is brilliant.

2 hours ago, caladrius said:

Havent done Maddening, currently playing on Normal mode to enjoy the story, so I'm gonna play again to see the rest of the content (plus I gotta save Wanda at some point). Btw which portraits got criticized? I havent seen any that seem bad, hell they all look pretty good to me but then again maybe I'm easy to please lol. The occasional originial music is at least a nice change from what you hear in the Cannon GBA games, and in my opinion what you selected was quite enjoyable. Plus the story is pretty interesting to me at least, starts out with a generic-ish war like in FE 6 which is fine since it felt well executed, then we start fighting a secret cabal/organization like in FE7 which really spiced things up, plus you had monsters from FE8 which is just pure fun lol.

The maps are generally fun to fight through except maybe Chapter 26, and that's only cuz Judge Amanda broke the cardinal rule about bosses, she got off her throne to come kill me. Still I understood and appreciated the design and intent of such lol.

Btw may wanna add to the Recruitment guide that you gotta pick Roxie up before the fog clears up.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's understandable. Unfortunately for them, from a gameplay perspective, the earlygame White Lion is probably the second-best option for a sacrifice, so long as you haven't actively been using them. First would be Shiloh/Riley, as they're both far too underlevelled at this point. Honestly, I would've liked to trade Tanya in for Wanda, she was so underwhelming. But it is what it is.

Yup, I sacrificed Shiloh. Only downside was I didn't get his sweet, sweet Dragonshield. I saved Tanya, because I felt it fit the story better.

And I will make Wanda a good unit! Despite how hard she tries to let me down. I swear, she's absolutely strength cursed...

To each their own, but I think this is a great game.

And on the whole 17x thing, didn't Code of the Black Knights do some similar stuff? I know for sure there was at least 1 chapter where you had to let a potentially recruitable hostage die. 

Edited by Bob of the A

1 hour ago, Bob of the A said:

Yup, I sacrificed Shiloh. Only downside was I didn't get his sweet, sweet Dragonshield. I saved Tanya, because I felt it fit the story better.

And I will make Wanda a good unit! Despite how hard she tries to let me down. I swear, she's absolutely strength cursed...

To each their own, but I think this is a great game.

And on the whole 17x thing, didn't Code of the Black Knights do some similar stuff? I know for sure there was at least 1 chapter where you had to let a potentially recruitable hostage die. 

Bro I just checked Wanda's growth rates, that strength growth is at 30% lol, so maybe she aint screwed. Her speed and defence are 55/50 respectively though so maybe she can tank, what's her base stats btw?

Edited by kinglan10

I don't remember her bases. She's a Silver Knight now and strength is her lowest stat. She only gained strength like 2 or 3 times before I promoted her at level 20. She does have good speed, health, and defense so she's a good wall unit if nothing else.

Edited by Bob of the A