Fire Emblem: The Lonely Mirror [Completed]

caladrius

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/26/2021 at 5:22 PM, Chairman Meow said:

I'll definitely give this a try once I have more free time. Is hard mode still not balanced?

All the difficulties should be a good state if playing the latest build. I will be still releasing patches that improve the balance and reinforcements.

• 2 months later...

I realized I forgot to update this thread on a new update to The Lonely Mirror earlier this month. A new update is available: FE_LonelyMirror_FullGame_v2_05. The focus of this update is quality of life improvements, updates to enemy placements, rebalancing, more supports, side quests, and bug fixings and text improvement.

Quality of Life Improvements:

• Now will show available Talk conversations on map when selecting a unit.
  • Now will show super-effective warning when selecting a unit.
  • Displays enemy movement range, so now it is easy to determine stationary enemies.

Portrait Updates:

All playable characters have had their portraits cleaned up and improved. Some colors were modified to work better. Here’s Queenie! Bonus points to anyone who spots a difference.

screen34.png.4f239ae8c9e421fbb8f6d3a5355fbc85.png

New Class:

Bow Knights have been added. They have been added to several maps as enemy units.

Major Chapter Updates:

• Ch20 will now allow Sterling to be recruited on any difficulty.
  • Ch23 (desert map) has had the enemy spawn reduced and is no longer infinite. The objective of the map has changed into Talk within 20 turns.
  • Chapter 24 will no longer have ambushes on the houses. More enemies will be placed on the map at the start.
  • Chapter 25 will provide an additional turn to save Ozias.
  • Chapter 30 has reduced enemy spawn. Enemies spawns are still infinite but they are weaker and not as often. Enemies will now always provide EXP, so you can grind if you choose; it’s so late in the game, it won’t matter much.
  • Chapter 31 has reduced enemy spawn.
  • Other maps have received minor changes of placements, but nothing too significant.

Rebalancing:

• Silvan: nerf to resistance stat. It should now be almost non-existent.
  • Saoirse: changed promotion options to Hero and Trickster.
  • Grant and Rob now promote into Great Knight instead of Halberdier.
  • Ozias: Now joins as a level 18 soldier with about the same stats. Can now be utilized as a Silver Paladin.
  • Eamon: Boosts to bass stats (power, luck, and res)
  • Sterling: Boost to resistance
  • Benji: Boosts to base stats (power and skill)
  • Helga: Improved constitution.
  • Snipers no longer have Sure Strike. They already have access to Longbows and Critical Boost. Sure Strike was moved to Rangers instead.
  • Bolting now has improved power, reduced critical hit, and reduced range.

New Supports Written:

• Joseph x Queenie
  • Saoirse x Riley
  • Silvan x Riley
  • Noelle x Saoirse
  • Rob x Shiloh
  • Silvan x Liang

Noteworthy Bug Fixes:

• Removed the battle scene on Ch25 that was causing crashes for some people. I couldn’t reproduce it on my end, so I got rid of it.
  • Witch now receives promotional gains.
  • Updated how the wall kills units in Ch30. Game over will not happen if Boone or Lael is squished.

New Characters & Side Quests:
A rival Secret Shop is now available and run by new character, Mercer. He’s got some fun dialogue.

Mercer_LonelyMirror.png.db74c6410c69f231ae3a307d90131cb5.png

Mercer is first met on Chapter 9 by visiting the southern house with a current member of the White Lions (Boone, Travis, Winifred, or Caspian) and will welcome you to his Secret Shop. Mercer will sell you a mystery item for 1000 gold. If a deal is made, Mercer will show up again in various red houses throughout the game to sell mystery items. Funding his store could lead to nice rewards later in the game. Mercer will always spoil Anna’s Secret Shop location out of spite for anyone having difficulty locating them.

I don’t want to spoil too much else, but I have also written some additional character development for Caspian, Winifred, Travis, Shiloh, and Astoria that can be encountered on Maddening only. I will leave it at that.

New Playable Units:

Two new playable units have been added to Maddening difficulty only. Each unit has their own special Gaiden style map to unlock.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow just wow. Logged 50 hours on this game and enjoyed every single second of it. A bit of spelling errors here and there but nothing game changing or game breaking. The unique events, different objectives, anima triangle, everything was just amazing, add ons after add ons, felt like an entirely different fe game. Maddening was a bit brutal for me but other than that amazing 11/10 hack thank you for sharing this.

On 10/6/2021 at 11:02 PM, SaminBBall said:

Wow just wow. Logged 50 hours on this game and enjoyed every single second of it. A bit of spelling errors here and there but nothing game changing or game breaking. The unique events, different objectives, anima triangle, everything was just amazing, add ons after add ons, felt like an entirely different fe game. Maddening was a bit brutal for me but other than that amazing 11/10 hack thank you for sharing this.

Thanks for your kind words. I am happy you had fun with it. 😄

• 3 weeks later...

It is time to officially announce The Lonely Mirror version 3.0 update. I have also reinstated the linked to download The Lonely Mirror. I had previously removed it a week or so ago, because I didn’t want anyone started a new file on an old version. Older save files of The Lonely Mirror will not work with 3.0 versions.

Two New Gaiden Chapters Available:
Guides to trigger the new Gaiden maps have been added too.

Chapter 21x

screen35.png.e115433bf8f4117dee091702a0cd212f.png

Chapter 26x

screen36.png.c3c461cbabb6fb1b87f086a4a23a0d66.png

New Difficulty Options:
The Lonely Mirror is split into two UPS files now with each having a different difficulty. Play whichever is suitable for you.

The Lonely Mirror CLASSIC (FE_LonelyMirror_FullGame_v3_0_Classic.ups)
This is the classic experience of The Lonely Mirror that a lot of players will be familiar with. Enemies tend to be bulkier and some chapters may feel like a puzzle

• Normal: Intended play for new players that enjoy a bit of a challenge. Enemies will be bulky.
  • Hard: For experienced players that want even more challenge. Enemies will be bulkier.
  • Maddening: For true Lonely Miror champions. Offers the hardest level of play.

The Lonely Mirror FRIENDLY (FE_LonelyMirror_FullGame_v3_0_Friendly.ups)
This is a more accessible version of The Lonely Mirror. Enemies will in general have a lot lower HP, Defense, and Resistance. Leah also begins with slightly higher stats, and EXP gains will be higher.

• Easy: Intended play for new players that want to enjoy the story and enjoy a classic experience.
  • Standard: A good place to start for players that want a classic experience with some challenge.
  • Difficult: For experienced Lonely Mirror players looking for a challenge.

New Weapons and Items available:

• Guard Lance (armor units only, +5 Def and +5 Res)
  • Palladium (armor units only, 10 might sword that ignores defense)
  • Lucky Coin (+4 Luck when held or sell for 3000 Gold)
  • Gospel (Irina’s personal tome. A long-ranged dark magic strike)
  • Nevermore (S-ranked Knife. Absurdly good)

New Supports Written:

• Ariel x Travis
  • Shiloh x Eamon
  • Caspian x Winifred
  • Boone x Lionel
  • Grant x Mercer
  • Brett x Parvati
  • Atticus x Sterling
  • Travis x Vergil

Portrait Updates (Special thanks to carringcarrot for this):

• Devante
  • Lael

Rebalancing:

• Armor Class now has access to Sword as well as Lances.
  • Armored units also have access to two personal weapons - the Guard Lance and Palladium.
  • Irina has been given her own person tome.
  • Helga received a buff to her base stats.
  • Mercer is now available in ALL difficulties by completing Mercer’s Secret Shop sidequest. He can have an early join on Maddening and Difficult only.
  • Silvan is recruitable on Ch21x (Maddening and Difficult only) if he is not freed on Prelude 1.
  • Lots of other minor rebalancing things that might be difficult to notice. Props if you do notice.

Two New Playable Characters:
Two new characters have been added to the game and are obtained by completing one of the new Gaiden chapters on Difficult or Maddening mode.

Spoiler

Alouette is the warden on Illwish Island, a prison that specializes in reforming problematic people. She is determined and believes there is a special role given by her ancestors that she must complete. Alouette might be encountered on various chapters depending on the player’s decision.

Alouette.png.ffd28c93de90936063911fe4a37259b5.png

Knox is a prisoner at Illwish Island and a known murderer who’s actions resulted in one of the largest Elioran tribes dissolving. He is consumed by guilt and looks for redemption in life.

Knox.png.e31d7c9983d6b610ce2bdd14ffbd73bf.png

Edited by caladrius

Hey, just got back to this game recently and saw there was the update so I updated it and kept my savefile. Think it worked cause I clearly have Devante's new portrait, but I'm at chapter 26/27 and I just can't go to chapter 26x.
Tried to do the chapter not killing Amanda like indicated on the guide but it didn't work, and I even did the chapter with male only units (Boone, Joseph, Liang, Caspian, Sylvan, Wise and Caden) and talked to Amanda with Boone but still going straight to chapter 27.

Not a big deal really, but just pointing that out, don't know if it comes from my file or not..

Anyway the game is tons of fun, just would have liked to get "Lots of Judge Amanda dialogue"

1 hour ago, Linkose said:

Hey, just got back to this game recently and saw there was the update so I updated it and kept my savefile. Think it worked cause I clearly have Devante's new portrait, but I'm at chapter 26/27 and I just can't go to chapter 26x.
Tried to do the chapter not killing Amanda like indicated on the guide but it didn't work, and I even did the chapter with male only units (Boone, Joseph, Liang, Caspian, Sylvan, Wise and Caden) and talked to Amanda with Boone but still going straight to chapter 27.

If you used a 2.0 save file, it may have caused some issues with events triggering because I reworked some of the flags and some unit IDs. Also, Gaiden maps are only accessible on Difficult or Maddening modes, so the difficulty could be a factor too. Whatever the case, it sounds like a lot is still working fine from switching save files, which is neat to know.

Hello @caladrius! It's me, SaintRubenio from FEUniverse. I have a space in my name here. Makes me totally unrecognizable.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've finished my second run of The Lonely Mirror. As I said before in the FEUniverse thread, while I enjoyed my time with the game the first time around, I've had much more fun in this second run. All of the 3.0 additions are awesome. The elitist in me hates it, but I found friendly mode to be much more fun than classic mode, since I'm generally not a fan of FEs with bulky enemies. The two new characters were unique and fun to use, and the two new gaidens were a blast to play through. The gaidens in general are all pretty good. I like how... "experimental" they are, they definitely feel separate from the regular chapters.

In particular, I want to take a moment appreciate the effort that went into 26x. I expected pretty much anything from a map advertised as having "tons of Judge Amanda dialogue," but the fact that there's a special marriage scene and teleport line for every single member of the male cast astounds me. They're not even full copypastes, either, depending on the character the marriage proceeds a little differently. Wow. That must've taken so long to do. My regards for taking the time and effort to do something like that. It made it into a truly special map.

I will send you the last typos and issues later, on FEUniverse for the sake of consistency. Now, everyone likes to see some statsheets, so here's my team of the run, for anyone who might want to see some endgame units!

Spoiler
Dghhhugq o

Much better than in my first run. He's still kinda slow, and his res is awful, but he's a good tank and damage dealer. Solid protagonist.

Eqpb3mlz o

On the other hand, Leah is not quite as good as she was in my first run. She's still a magical nuke, just... slightly less than before. However, I must point out that she was an unstoppable force of nature throughout the entirety of part 1. That definitely counts for something.

Yhoxoksi o

See, I think the problem with Lael is that there's just no good opportunities to use her. She arrives really late into part 1, where she doesn't see much use, being a secondary healer with mediocre combat on the side. Then she returns also really late into part 2, and there's even less use for her here, since deployment slots are tight and she's underleveled and outclassed. And even if you absolutely wanted to use her, there's no justification for her presence. She promotes so late that she rams the level cap and sits there twiddling her thumbs, Roy style. Then everyone around her promotes and she becomes a shittier bishop.

I still appreciate that she gains A staves on promotion, though. At least she can do some backup staffbotting when she's force-deployed. She's not quite on the level of Roy. Still, unfortunately designed unit, all in all.

6pf7zzfw o

In this run, I wanted to use different units than in my first. I was a bit afraid that Caspian wouldn't be able to match Silvan's awesomeness. Thankfully, I was proven quite wrong! While his bases are a bit shaky, he quickly became a strong, swift and decently sturdy unit. One of my most reliable guys for pretty much anything, tanking, killing, you name it, he could take care of it. Great axeman, certainly not a disappointment after Silvan.

9h2ftf8a o

While I'm pretty sure she was RNG-blessed (you don't usually cap a stat on a 35% growth), Queenie is nonetheless a superb light mage. Her huge speed made her into a reliable killer of anything physical. And I like her hat. It's cute.

Jolhmcbc o

Magical nuke, but only once. Her low speed kept her from doubling things reliably (though she mostly avoided being doubled herself). She got some nosferatanking done, but it required caution, due to the tome's huge weight. Still, her defenses and power are so good that she was always a great asset. Plus, crit bonus! That's always fun. Even if the dark tome that increases crit also has no hitrate.

Hcmtoiek o

"Whoa, whoa! Slow down, man!" That was my general reaction to using Atticus. He looks like just your average boring thief, no strength, big speed, the works. In my first run I didn't even give him a second glance. I did feed him a few kills in this one, though, and... Wow. I can only say, I am impressed. His incredible strength and speed quickly made him into one of my strongest combatants, capable of murdering anything I needed dead and coming out without a scratch. Y'know, the thief. And, of course, later on he had dibs on Nevermore, which made him even more hilarious.

What a guy. A most unexpected juggernaut. But hey, I'm not about to complain about it! You keep at it, Atty. Attaboy. That was, that was a really great and funny pun, if you didn't get. Ah... O-Okay, let's move on now.

1f3cj3zk o

Low power halberdier that makes up for it with huge speed and crits. He's a fun unit, and I like how done he is with everything all the time. Though I guess I understand. Being Wise's retainer will do that to you.

J0dcrgll o

I wasn't expecting this girl to specialize on power of all things, but hey, that's fine! She dealt a mean blow to most things, though her awful defenses and lesser speed held her back later on. Still a really solid option for ranged combat. And hey, she has a horse!

R2kdgg5t o

I killed Pepper so that she'd join earlier, since I already used the pirate lady in my first run. Honestly, I love Viking Waifu, but Alouette is objectively better. As a merely fine axe wielder, Pepper runs a high risk of being redundant, whereas Alouette is a solid filler healer with low starting power but an excellent growth to quickly remedy the issue. There's already less competition and more demand for healers, but Alouette also happens to be the only runeseeker in the game other than Parvati. Of course, chapter 27 is an extremely late join time... But with a little blood sacrifice, she joins in chapter 23, where she's really good from the get go.

Sooo yeah. Sorry Pepper, I love you, but you just can't compete with this.

Xx47dsnc o

Now this. This is the kind of unit that I'm all for. Unique unit concepts are my weakness. Of course I had to give the playable monster a shot! Thankfully, he's really good. Solid bases with good growths to keep up as the game goes on, 8-move mount, an effectively personal brave axe with high accuracy, bows for ranged combat? What's not to love? Great unit, right there. Though, honestly, he could've been garbage and I'd still have used him simply because he's a playable monster. That's so cool.

Jpjnu67k o

Granny's certainly still got game. Sure, she doesn't exist for long, but when she does, she's excellent. Reliable combat, awesome staff utility and potentially dibs on thunder magic makes Edith an obvious filler pick in the lategame. Heck, she's probably better than a couple of mainstays in any given team.

Vmclgutd o

As far as late joiners go, he's mediocre. Heck, he's probably the worse of the lot, as he lacks Ozias's mount/crit boost, Amanda's bulk and staves, Shane's flight, Edith's magical utility and Lionel's generally good stats. But I love his beard, and Leah had no support partner, so I tried to make something out of him. Even gave him the Juna fruit, since it was just gathering dust in the convoy anyway. He's... okay. Balanced stats. Nothing too remarkable, really.

But that beard, though. I think only one person beats him in that department.

Rzitzcyj o

Ahh, Faith. Faith, Faith, Faith. What to make of you? She's one of the first units to join in part 1, but she struggles to gain any experience due to her garbage combat. And then she has the audacity to be the last part 1 character to return, at chapter friggin' 23. Around that time you're getting the likes of Alouette, Knox, Pepper and Irina! This girl might just be the worst unit in the game. Like, wow. She's so bad. I don't even like earlygame pegasus knights, I find them extremely unfun to use for the most part, so I had no intention of ever using Faith.

...She lucked out, however. I was disappointed in the Ametonan trio (Brett, Vergil and Grant), so I decided to finally give in to my bias and bring Kurtis back into the team once more. He lacked a support partner, and Faith could keep up with him, so I decided to give her a chance. I'm... honestly amazed. Her strength growth is bonkers and the wing spear makes her a lot less of a hassle to train in chapter 23 than I thought, so she quickly caught up and became an excellent flier with greater strength, but lower speed, than Kurtis.

Whether she's worth all the effort to train her up to speed is debatable. But well, I'm always a fan of a bad unit.

Xl8v5oc9 o

Last, but certainly not least... Here he is. The man, the myth, the legend. Beard Pegasus Knight. My favorite unit in the game. I benched him at first. I wanted to use new units and all. But after a few of them failed to keep up the pace, I decided to bring him back, a few chapters after his initial benching.

He went on to marry Judge Amanda and kill the final boss, with the help of his fellow beards.

Godspeed, you magnificent man. I can say with some certainty that he's my favorite pegasus knight of any FE and FE hack I've ever played. He's not even that remarkable as a unit, he has the customary low strength and high speed. He does have high con and a focus on defense over resistance to set him apart, but... More than anything, it's the beard. That beard is just... Oh, so good.

And that's all from me. Once again, thank you for all your hard work and dedication! This is a really great hack, and I would highly recommend it to anyone reading this post that's considering trying it out. Personally, I would recommend Friendly mode, Difficulty difficulty for a first run.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally finished my first run!
Okay, it had some bugs because of me using an old save file on the newest version, but it was still completable. I was mostly bummed about Silvan suddenly having 0 mov since he was in my main roster, but I was able to adapt around it.

So, story-wise, this was really interesting! It does take into the vein of usual Fire Emblem shenanigans, but it has a unique twist to it that I quite liked! The villains were neat as well and the plot was well-paced.

Character-wise, I think you really shine there! I really can't wait for the rest of the supports to come in! I don't think I've found another Fire Emblem where I had such trouble picking my units because I liked too many of them, haha. And I never would've expected for the epilogue to be modified depending on the supports, that was a great surprise!

Difficulty-wise, I am not the best Fire Emblem player out there, ad I must say some of those chapters gave me a run for my money (the flier reinforcements from the east of the desert Devante chapter or that one chapter where you have to get the horn come to mind). I enjoyed the level design quite a bit though! The chapters felt different enough and always had a little something to take into account. I must say however that Atalanta and Excalibur made the final fight slightly underwhelming on normal difficulty, compared to other maps. I'll see how it goes on hard next. I'm already feeling the ptsd from the horn map though... Thank you for releasing this friendly patch, I'll use the hell out of it XD

I was too far in the game to test out new classes that much, but I still really liked the new additions from the base game, and I'll certainly go about trying out new ones in my next run, especially since some have been balanced or modified from what I've read in the threads. Dark griffon stays my favorite so far, even though they can't get S in dark (except if that was a bug from porting an old save file). I did like the concept for Lael's final class, but I kinda neglected her before so she kinda became a restore bot (damn you, Vetti's harp and demons!)

I couldn't test out the new weapons much. Grant was so bulky by the time I got a Guard lance that he never felt the need to use it, and Boone was a killing machine that never died so it kinda got benched. I was too far ahead to get nevermore too. I'll see those in my next run!Overall, I've had a great time with this hack! Honestly, with finished supports and a few tweaks on certain portraits and CGs, if someone told me this was an official Fire Emblem, I would've believed them! A great job! Now, I've seen Saint Rubenio do it earlier, and I kinda like the idea, so I'll post my thoughts on the units I used the most and a screen capture of their final stats after the epilogue. Sorry for the plagiarism, Saint Rubenio ^^

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.05789ba3a8dcd873ac5ed07b4cfe790f.png
Love the cg so much on this guy. Honestly, his performance was rather average though, and I didn,t use him much because of his shortened availability and my support collector mindset.. He was basically following his daughter around forever, while protecting her and shooting out fliers with long-range bows. He is a very bulky unit though and helped me get out of tricky situations!

image.thumb.png.5daf804ad03e5990682d8e317caed24c.png

Sadly got shafted later on in the game, but he was such an amazing unit for much a long time! It's not that he was bad, mind you, it's just that I had too many units I wanted on my roster and the only place he really would take was Lionel, who was basically a better him with less movement at that point, and Lionel still needed hiss last support, so I waved him goodbye. Still one of my MVPs for the run overall.

image.thumb.png.825a29d2cdfbcd7e7ca4942ffafec021.png

I think this guy got in danger like twice near the end, when surrounded by a plethora of enemies. And then again, all it took was one physic and he was fine to take on the rest. He has such high stats all across the board he could take on disadvantaged matchups like it was nothing with nothing but an iron lance. I don't know if I was just blessed, but I really liked having him as a main character.

image.thumb.png.ef5390fd5ca97e93edbf0fd62e4878c2.png

Poor her. If I didn't shaft her hard when I got her back, I'm sure she would've been a great unit! And I found Wanderer to be such a cool class too. She does lack def quite a lot, but her res is something to behold XD At least she was quite useful for staves and movement. I would've lost so many units in the desert Devante chapter without her.

image.thumb.png.7a69defa9a5c2dbc876c2832db1d366d.png

Yeah, another one I used as a staff bot. She did use her magic once in a while to try and finish a troublesome enemy, but that was about it. Thoron came in handy and her fortify staff was used quite a bit in her joining chapter. She's still a pretty good endgame unit imo.

image.thumb.png.d69f43d32b9f8b86e504291510b2e535.png

Aah, my man. He destroyed so many units and was such a force of nature all around the map. I love everything about Joseph. His design, his personality, his access to Dark Griffon, his role in the story, his supports, his insane speed. We need more Josephs in Fire Emblem. Number one MVP in this run for sure!

image.thumb.png.f19692eaeb9da457fe49031c68642ad7.png

He needed a bit of help to reliably kill things, but as soon as he did, he was unstoppable. My Tubalcain user, though I didn't send him against Dracbolla because of the damage that thing was doing. Evading everything in sight while one-shotting them with a huge crit, plus having access to the sonic sword to destroy both fliers and armors made him a juggernaut. Another one of my personal favorites.

image.thumb.png.5ce1b36fd5e6a819acf1aec6b838ffff.png

I always like having an armored unit in my roster. I wasn't too fond of him at first, but he started getting stacked fast, and then he got a haircut and the deal was sealed. Gorgons were extremely annoying to deal with though. And yes, he got some sweet boots cause movement is still important, but the badassery of Generals in GBA Fire Emblem is worth reclassing in that. Plus their unique skill is quite awesome!

image.thumb.png.a51fa3422dac953b00dd9bd6491f8c34.png

I'm partial on this unit. I like his character, and he's been useful overall. His performance was never truly lacking, but he always felt like he was missing a little oomph compared to my other units. Nevertheless, I really liked using him and he's been a solid addition to my crew.

image.thumb.png.a64c50e804552502dba048004cf80681.png

BENJIII! The last time I was this impressed by archers was with Radiant Dawn Shinon. I mean, he's my second most defensive unit, is tied to the most movement, capped power and skill and can wield 3 range weapons like Atalanta plus swords for when he tries to bait enemies. Even his resistance is nothing to scoff at. His speed might be a little lacking, and his luck was abysmal before I made him gobble up some goddess icons, but man do I love this unit!
image.thumb.png.3ef6aa667b3ccc0852b8437ba79d48cc.png

At first I planned on only making him a support deadweight and then shaft him forever. I found his attitude annoying and hiss performance lackluster. However, as the game went on, he really grew on me. I started to chuckle at his antics and man did he become good at taking out the annoying enemies left around. He did require a brave lance at times, but in general, he just crit everything with a steel lance or a javelin and could take a beating. I did make the mistake of leaving him too far in the open too many times though because I was too amazed at him. And having him getting berserked was a very scary situation. Enemies liked berserking him so much.

Apparently I don't have space anymore for those images, but basically, the rest is Ariel and Noelle, who did their job well (Ariel being mostly a physic bot on her horse and being able to take down enemies thanks to her high level and light magic) and Winifred, who was again an amazing sniper, who had like 30 crit on an iron bow. She was extremely frail though and it was always annoying to have her be a must against onslaughts of flying enemies because protecting her became very hard.

I can't wait to test out the new gaiden chapters and see what you've got in store!

Cheers!

On 12/14/2021 at 5:23 AM, Lorneus said:

Now, I've seen Saint Rubenio do it earlier, and I kinda like the idea, so I'll post my thoughts on the units I used the most and a screen capture of their final stats after the epilogue. Sorry for the plagiarism, Saint Rubenio ^^

Hey, it's not like I invented the concept! I must say, I really like your team. That Vergil and Grant is exactly what I had hope my Vergil and Grant had turned out like in my second run. Unfortunately it wasn't to be, but it makes me happy to see someone else make something great out of them. Also, Benji. Wow, that guy's pretty impressive, actually. Unfortunately lack of Kurtis means this is a 0/10 hack, next time use Beard Pegasus Knight.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hey, it's not like I invented the concept! I must say, I really like your team. That Vergil and Grant is exactly what I had hope my Vergil and Grant had turned out like in my second run. Unfortunately it wasn't to be, but it makes me happy to see someone else make something great out of them. Also, Benji. Wow, that guy's pretty impressive, actually. Unfortunately lack of Kurtis means this is a 0/10 hack, next time use Beard Pegasus Knight.

Yeah, Vergil and Grant really impressed me overall! As for Benji, I think I was either really blessed or I used some stat boosters earlier in the game, cause now that I look back on it, his stats are really high for his growths, haha! But overall, I adored that unit, yeah! I'm pretty sure he was already solid before I used stat boosters, I just tend to use them on units I like a lot instead of ones I feel really need them on my team. That can bite me in the butt at times. I did change course a little near the end and gave stat boosters to units that needed them (like Benji with his astonishing 5 luck who became a devout in the span of five seconds)

Haha, I tend to put aside pegasus knights in most Fire Emblems. I often find them frail and not very powerful early on and I'm always scared to use them cause I'll end up sending them away to their doom easily. I did get a stonked Florina in one run of Blazing Blade who basically destroyed the universe, though, so I know their potential. I'm doing a support run in hard/friendly mode now, so I'll definitely use him down the line. Recently finished ch.10 where I abused the shit of that boss and got like half my roster to lvl 20

Spoiler

(unfortunately, I didn't have enough swords for Myles (L18) and Atticus (like L12 I think) and Roxie had such a low hit rate that all she could do was blow away her magic (around L12). Parvati... I did what I could and had her kill the boss, but having like around 60 attacks available in the entirety of part 1 that deplete when they miss is not the best for boss abuse (around L12 as well). Still, all the units you can use before supports are unlocked are above lvl 10 now. If I had planned better, I would've brought in Faith for that chapter to make her usable in the late game. L11 pegasus knight for ch 23 is... yeah. At least Lael is lvl 20 with A in light magic now, so she should pack a punch in endgame when she's forced on you.)

And hey, my last run had like 6 beards if you count Myles and Wise as one together, so surely that counts for something! XD

Your team inspired me to use Leah more! She's sitting at L20 as with my other units from this run, but I'll try her out a bit more afterwards when she gets promoted, instead of shafting her forever like in my first. And how I wish I had used Eamon to get him at something similar to yours! He seems like a really fun unit but I left him on the bench for a long while and then only let him out to support Shiloh for a little while in the backline, praying every god that he could stay out of trouble. And Holy Guacamole, your Atticus and Danika sure are something! Your team for this run seemed really fun to use!

Also, lack of Joseph is a travesty of the highest offense. I thought someone who knew how to appreciate beards like you would know better. smh.

Edited by Lorneus

On 11/14/2021 at 4:22 PM, caladrius said:

Whatever the case, it sounds like a lot is still working fine from switching save files, which is neat to know.

Don't know how relevant it is now, but I can file the bugs I had when switching savefile from version 2.0 to 3.0. Putting in spoilers because of some details about certain characters.

Spoiler

- Silvan had 0 movement. His res was unchanged.
- Knox replaced Irina, but was still a witch. He had the Humanoid portrait as well. The character in the support logs appears as the right class and portrait Knox. Irina counts as though I never recruited her.
- supports got janky (Roxie lost her B support with Noelle, but Noelle kept it, and Atticus and Roxie still had their B support. By completing Roxie X Atticus, I could then complete Noelle X Roxie and Roxie had 2 A supports. Boone and Leah suddenly got B support in the support log even though I never had any supports between them)

Oher than that, things seemed pretty stable, honestly. I guess the new additions like swords on armors didn't get through with the units I already had, but that's to be expected. 

15 hours ago, Lorneus said:

Haha, I tend to put aside pegasus knights in most Fire Emblems. I often find them frail and not very powerful early on and I'm always scared to use them cause I'll end up sending them away to their doom easily.

Yeah, that's fair. I dislike most pegasus knights myself, but for Kurtis I made an exception. Beard Pegasus Knight was just too good to ignore. It helps that Kurtis has fairly decent defense and con for a peggie.

And hey, my last run had like 6 beards if you count Myles and Wise as one together, so surely that counts for something! XD

Haha, fair enough! That's a good Beard Level to have in your team.

Your team inspired me to use Leah more! She's sitting at L20 as with my other units from this run, but I'll try her out a bit more afterwards when she gets promoted, instead of shafting her forever like in my first. And how I wish I had used Eamon to get him at something similar to yours! He seems like a really fun unit but I left him on the bench for a long while and then only let him out to support Shiloh for a little while in the backline, praying every god that he could stay out of trouble. And Holy Guacamole, your Atticus and Danika sure are something! Your team for this run seemed really fun to use

Leah gets going later on. Requires some imvestment, but she can become quite the damager.

Eamon was a lot of fun, yes. He doesn't look like much, but the guy got s ton of speed pretty quickly!

Danika is a strength gal, which surprised me a bit. She didn't double too reliably, but the one hit she dealt hurt.

And yeah, Atticus was by far the biggest and best surprise of the run. Of all people, I wasn't expecting the friggin' thief to become my best fighter. Seriously, the guy destroyed everything with his dinky little blade... And then he got Nevermore and became even more hilarious. Most fun I've had using a thief in a long time.

All in all, I was super happy with my team, even if it wasn't exactly the one I intended at first (F for Vergil, Grant and Brett - didn't grow well enough). This game has such a fun cast, overall.

Also, lack of Joseph is a travesty of the highest offense. I thought someone who knew how to appreciate beards like you would know better. smh.

I tried. I really did. But he grew badly in both of my runs. One day, one day.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, that's fair. I dislike most pegasus knights myself, but for Kurtis I made an exception. Beard Pegasus Knight was just too good to ignore. It helps that Kurtis has fairly decent defense and con for a peggie.

Yeah, the only pegasus knights I used in my first runs were like Caeda because million recruitments and Wing Spear, pretty much all GotHW ones cause... why not if you can deploy everyone? (Fury and Fee died SO MANY TIMES). Tana cause she could reclass into a wyvern and you can level up everyone with the tower and Ingrid cause I wanted to use all the students and I thought she fitted better in that class. I think I used Hinoka a little as well. But yeah, he does seem like a fairly good unit!

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Haha, fair enough! That's a good Beard Level to have in your team.

To be fair, if you use male heroes, you literally have over 50% chance for them to have facial hair in this game (it's actually split 14/13). But I can't say beards weren't a factor in my choosing, hehe. Hey, now that I think about it, if it weren't for the secondary forced unit, you technically could have a full team of facial-haired people in the final chapter!

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Leah gets going later on. Requires some imvestment, but she can become quite the damager.

Yeah, I mostly wasn't too into the rapier lord theme. It is interesting she had light magic though. Like Elincia meets Micaiah. But I don't have the best experience with those lords, so if I can leave them out, I tend to do so. She wasn't doing bad, but I didn't want to find out later on, let's say. And Myles and Ariel got her role down together pretty well by the point she promoted. But I'll definitely try her out this run!

Eamon was a lot of fun, yes. He doesn't look like much, but the guy got s ton of speed pretty quickly!

And I love me a speedy unit! Seeing me complete a run without a swordmaster or an assassin is a true oddity. Less so than general though.

Danika is a strength gal, which surprised me a bit. She didn't double too reliably, but the one hit she dealt hurt.

Oooh, seems like the perfect unit to take out annoying glass cannon units or baby struggling units. I never got to recruit her so far, so I'm looking forward to it!

And yeah, Atticus was by far the biggest and best surprise of the run. Of all people, I wasn't expecting the friggin' thief to become my best fighter. Seriously, the guy destroyed everything with his dinky little blade... And then he got Nevermore and became even more hilarious. Most fun I've had using a thief in a long time.

Haha, I hope mine will be able to meet that standard. Having him L12 by ch 10 is not the best. Should've bought some more swords. At least he doesn't join too late and should still be useable by then.

I tried. I really did. But he grew badly in both of my runs. One day, one day.

Eh, to be fair, he starts with terrible power, wind magic is the weakest type, and his growth is subpar. I think I used the energy drop you get in ch 10 on him in both runs, cause it would disappear otherwise, and I kinda favored him already. His speed and wind magic are very useful to deal with peg knights too, since he can reliably dodge them and destroy them into oblivion. And with Dark Griffon, access to Dark tomes on a flying mount make him quite an asset. He does require a bit of help at first, sadly.

You sly bastard.

Spoiler

Just finished ch 17x, with the rewards shown as recruitment for Shiloh, Riley, Wanda, Tanya and Danika, thinking "oh, that's neat! We can recruit everyone! My support runs will be so much easier", not minding the "two for the road" title at all, and then you hit me with the realization of why it's named like that. I'm keeping a save on that chapter just to not mess up my plans too much!

On a more serious note, though, I both loved and hated that chapter. It's very well done and it makes you want to keep at it, trying different combinations to see if that might be the trick, keeping hope with the quote from Boone, feeling extremely frustrated at the sheer amount of long-range mages there are (luckily, I had a bug where Shiloh decided being walled to death wasn't for today, and he just floated above them, so the lower mages targeted him until he died instead. Happens when you skip the dialogue, I'm pretty sure). It grips you and frustrates you and it's actually pretty challenging, with the promoted units in the lot. I kind of impeded myself because of me doing a support run sheer stupidity too, since I had a bunch of units that followed each other and my forces weren't split properly, thinking they'll get their supports along the way, even though I already noted it was a seize chapter before launching it. So yeah, there was clearly no strategy on my part, but I could see how it was interestingly built. I also decided to say goodbye to a master seal by sacrificing Winifred because she had less supports to go through by that point, despite having promoted her thinking Lael joined late and she was the other support I wanted to go through with in that run. Oh well, that'll teach me.