Fire Emblem: The Lonely Mirror [Completed]

caladrius

1 hour ago, Bob of the A said:

I don't remember her bases. She's a Silver Knight now and strength is her lowest stat. She only gained strength like 2 or 3 times before I promoted her at level 20. She does have good speed, health, and defense so she's a good wall unit if nothing else.

Well I got Tanya at lvl 10 in Chapter 17B, so I'mma assume you got Wanda at lvl 10 as well, meaning if you promoted at lvl 20 then a 30% str growth rate would mean you'd get 3 lvl ups in str on average. I think you just got a typical Wanda lol.

But hey at least she can tank for you. 🙂 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am at chapter 6 and like it so far, but being out of touch with gba gameplay, I got so many units killed in the thief debut map. The character designs are on point and really nice to look at.

Q1:If I skipped the dialogue does it automatically made the choices for me (so far I haven't encountered any branches or choices in dialogue)

Q2:Is FE8 cheat code usable here? Like extra gold or not decreasing weapon durability.

22 hours ago, MagicCanonBalls said:

If I skipped the dialogue does it automatically made the choices for me (so far I haven't encountered any branches or choices in dialogue)

If you skip the dialogue, you end up on a screen where you are still given the ability to make a choice. You just might not know the context of the choice. The first choice in the current build should be at the end of Prelude 1. 

23 hours ago, MagicCanonBalls said:

Q2:Is FE8 cheat code usable here? Like extra gold or not decreasing weapon durability.

Honestly, I have no idea. You can try it and see if any work. A lot of IDs were remapped, so I could see some cheats not working.

Game complete! Thanks for making it, I had a great time playing it!

I really enjoyed the game- people have different opinions, but personally I really enjoyed the story you crafted.

Strong points of the game-

1. Gameplay was fun and innovative, and even with the long length of the game (30+ chapters), nothing felt repetitive or boring even at the very end.

2. Story was engaging, interesting, and well-written. Just by the story, this game is ranked among the upper echelon of FE rom hacks.

3. Solid character depth/Engaging characters- I can't say this for everyone, but at least for the characters I cared about (i.e, the ones who made up my core party) they all felt unique and memorable (for good reasons). I'm going to namedrop Caspian here, because I cut his role short by letting him die in the gaiden chapter. He probably would've had a bigger role if he'd lived.

4. Visually enjoyable- Lots of good custom sprites/animations, little/no graphics bugs, etc...

I don't have any cons to say other than a little nitpicking (a few chapters were a little frustrating, but not enough to take away from the experience.)

Also, is there a place I can see the paired character endings? The only ones I got were Boone/Queenie, Myles/Joseph (bros for life!), and Parvati/Atticus

Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 10:13 AM, Kimakbu said:

In chapter 17x is it possible to save all 4 (Wanda, Shiloh, Caspain and Danika)

Tytan kills 2 of them no matter what I do

It is not possible unless you hack the game. It is intentional that 2 of the characters die (I asked the hack author the exact same question back when I was playing it.) Personally, I sacrificed Shiloh and Caspian.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to pop in to say that I recently finished the hack and I absolutely loved it!!

Gameplay was awesome and so were the story and characters. My favourite ones were Winifred, Wise, Atticus (who was also the MVP of the run) and Queenie. They were all charming on their own, and I have to admit I was a bit disappointed when I found out that not all of them had finished support conversations, as I was hoping to learn more about the characters that way. Still, I understand writing so much dialogue must be a pain and I'm really grateful for the supports I got in my playthrough. 

I am more like a casual player so I can't really talk about the maps, difficulty curve and stuff like that in a technical level, but a few interesting chapters came to mind: 

Spoiler

The one where they escape from prision and start with no items in their inventory. I felt like it was fun and challenging in a good way. And the one where you seize the throne, and, suprise! everyone falls on a different floor.

Overall, this is one of my favourite fe ROM hacks. Thank you so much for making this  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2022 at 1:39 AM, Hikoboshii said:

I just wanted to pop in to say that I recently finished the hack and I absolutely loved it!!

Thank you!! I am happy you enjoyed this hack.

On 7/11/2022 at 1:39 AM, Hikoboshii said:

Gameplay was awesome and so were the story and characters. My favourite ones were Winifred, Wise, Atticus (who was also the MVP of the run) and Queenie. They were all charming on their own, and I have to admit I was a bit disappointed when I found out that not all of them had finished support conversations, as I was hoping to learn more about the characters that way. Still, I understand writing so much dialogue must be a pain and I'm really grateful for the supports I got in my playthrough. 

Atticus can be a very strong unit for a thief. The S ranked knife (if you get it) even gives Atticus a very strong endgame. Support conversations take a bit of time to get written and scripted in game. Getting one done can be about a day of effort, and I usually tackle them in waves with other life priorities. I will say that more will be coming soon in the next build of the game. I have spent a lot of focus on supports lately, and at least 15 new support conversations will be added.

1 hour ago, caladrius said:

I will say that more will be coming soon in the next build of the game. I have spent a lot of focus on supports lately, and at least 15 new support conversations will be added.

Awesome! I'll look forward to checking them out when the update is released. If I may ask, is there anything else you intend to add in this patch, or will it be focused on the supports?

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Awesome! I'll look forward to checking them out when the update is released. If I may ask, is there anything else you intend to add in this patch, or will it be focused on the supports?

I am considering the new update to be a major update, but it won't be a complete overhaul of the game. Some of the new things to expect beyond new supports include some balancing changes on a couple of the characters, some new weapons/items, some dialogue clean up/corrections, allowing more units on a couple chapters, some enemy placement/reinforcement changes, etc. There may be a couple of other small surprises too. It will be worth checking out! 

23 minutes ago, caladrius said:

I am considering the new update to be a major update, but it won't be a complete overhaul of the game. Some of the new things to expect beyond new supports include some balancing changes on a couple of the characters, some new weapons/items, some dialogue clean up/corrections, allowing more units on a couple chapters, some enemy placement/reinforcement changes, etc. There may be a couple of other small surprises too. It will be worth checking out! 

Sounds good! Might be time for another run when the time comes. I'll keep an eye on the thread!

Edited by Saint Rubenio

• 3 weeks later...

Long time no see.  I've decided to pick up this hack again after hearing it was finished and seeing it get quite a bit of praise.

I haven't gotten far into the new version, but I kind of got an unpleasant surprise with the Friendly patch.  I patched it over my Sacred Stones ROM thinking it was a Casual Mode patch only to get a nasty surprise when Kathryn died in Chapter 3 and didn't come back for the next chapter.  Might I suggest changing the patch names from Friendly and Classic to something like Lightweight and Heavyweight?  Looking at the readme file, it looks like the only differences between Friendly and Classic are enemy bulk and Leah having slightly better base stats.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't believe how good it is. The unit portraits all closely resemble the classic Fire Emblem style, there are small details like Liang getting a conversation with his mother if he's the one to visit her house. Bringing next generation classes into FE8, adding new (well-balanced) items and adding stat modifications to existing ones, unique map mechanics... I couldn't believe someone put so much time and effort into a free hack. Also replacing the Rogue's sprite and animations with the Whisper. I think it deserves to replace the original game as a base for any future hacks. Each character having a distinct personality was really impressive considering one person wrote all of them. When I played a few chapters and saw the quality I immediately got excited for the supports. I'm waiting until all my favourite characters' pairs are recruited before starting on them. 

Spoiler

Kathryn won me over when she threw herself in front of the shaman attacking Leah without any weapon to fight him with, so she got the energy rings and is presently banned from using staves until she gets her S in light magic.

Atticus reminded me of Matthew from FE7 and the tragic situation with Leila, so I wanted to find the best supports that would give him a happier ending. (What is up with nobody giving him any credit when he broke them out of prison?)

Myles, I was disappointed he seemed to prefer fighting and excitement to staying with Lael. 

Benji has a killer smile and I wanted to pair him with Rob but no luck. 

Boone and Leah I couldn't help but start to resent for forcing themselves as mandatory characters every chapter. 

Parvati I kept around for her quirky personality.

For Amanda, I didn't want to hurt Ozias' morale by recruiting his abuser into the party but ultimately decided to give her a chance on account of the horn corrupting her. Kited her around the manor to avoid killing her but she came back in a "Defeat all enemies" chapter so I guess I have no choice. That's as far as I got. 

Hard Mode is tough but I'll get through it. Thank you for making this game. I wonder how long it took.

Your comments made my day, @Hoppybunny123! All the work I put into The Lonely Mirror took a ton of time, and I had to be diligent and focused to continue the project, because it was really easy to just give up. It is also very hard to write like 50+ characters and make them distinct. 

I apologize that not all the supports have been written, but more will be coming. I slowly but surely am adding more content to the game; however, the main story experience and characters is pretty set in stone at this point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2022 at 6:07 PM, Ikeypoo said:

God I LOVE this hack so far... Is there a discord server? Or any place to talk about the game outside this thread?

@Ikeypoo, I am happy that you are liking this hack. I don't actually have a Discord server personally, but I know Epholo8 has a channel to talk about Lonely Mirror, which seems to have a lot of discussion, and I sometimes contribute. He previously did a Let's Play of The Lonely Mirror, and the Discord link should be in is in the description of some of his more recent videos. You can find him on YouTube

On 9/25/2022 at 8:33 AM, Sendo said:

Does this hack include "skills" feature?

No, this hack does not include a skills feature outside of the FE8 specific skills like: Lethality, Pierce, Lock Pick, etc. There are plenty of hacks that do include skills though if that is the experience that you are looking for. I was more going for a classic Fire Emblem experience when I produced Lonely Mirror - a game that could reasonably fall between FE8 and FE9 in terms of mechanics.

• 2 months later...

@caladrius I've just spent the last three weeks playing The Lonely Mirror.  I just wanted to say that this is a very good game.  The world was fleshed out with memorable characters, and the level design was amazing.  

My favourites were Caspian, Winifred, Lael, Myles, Ariel, and Edith.   I ended up dropping a lot of the starting characters just because I got comfy using the White Lions, who played off each other well.

Fantastic work, I look forward to playing again once the supports are all done.

• 4 weeks later...

It's the end of the year, and I am announcing a major, 4.0 update to The Lonely Mirror. Updates include:

• 4 new chapters experience through route split and player choice
  • 2 extra bonus chapter maps
  • 3 new playable characters
  • 3 new classes
  • Over 20 new support conversations written
  • 38 character and portrait redesigns (click spoilers to see a sample of four of them)
Spoiler

Boone

LonelyMirror_Boone_young.png.dddf6cb255fbe57c390920b0aaf03ca1.png

Joseph

LonelyMirror_Joseph_young.png.a06a643fa42859855de260f9b58ccdc8.png

Kathryn

LonelyMirror_Kathryn_young.png.1b35f0ce20e331d4bbaad583f4e0c440.png

Roxie

LonelyMirror_Roxie_young.png.92eb1daf190636dcdb64c475e775b345.png

Download:
You can download a UPS of Fire Emblem: The Lonely Mirror ROM hack here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/so69b7n12mzlv6b/AADf60KnaGDf79NIhJYHEQuXa?dl=0

Christmas indeed. I wasn't expecting the new update to be quite of this caliber, but I certainly won't complain about it! Looks like it might be time for another playthrough. Maybe this time I'll actually use Travis - I dig his redesign.

On 12/23/2022 at 2:22 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

Christmas indeed. I wasn't expecting the new update to be quite of this caliber, but I certainly won't complain about it! Looks like it might be time for another playthrough. Maybe this time I'll actually use Travis - I dig his redesign.

Thank you. Merry Christmas. Travis is a pretty solid unit if you can get past his poor luck. Enjoy!

Hello caladrius, wow, congratulations on the new major update! Looks really ambitious. I'm so glad you're still working and improving on this magnificent project.

I had a bit of a break from FE, but this is just the perfect reason to start a new run soon.

Thank you for your passionate work and a late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've been playing this over Christmas and been having a lot of fun! There's been some very cool maps and I'm really enjoying the characters and their interactions. My White Lions are turning out very well (though I did curse Travis as he refused to gain a single point of strength over multiple levels and kept dying, lol).

I didn't notice there had been an update, is it compatible with an older save? I'm around chapter 15. Also, the new portraits look beautiful!

I also wonder, is there a way to implement the more than 5 support fix? I do love reading them and this has so many, it feels hard to just pick a few for a single playtrough!

Happy that you are having fun with the game, @Tycho and @Indiiea!!

22 hours ago, Indiiea said:

I didn't notice there had been an update, is it compatible with an older save? I'm around chapter 15. Also, the new portraits look beautiful!

As long as you are running the 4.0 version of Lonely Mirror, the 4.1 update will work. That being mentioned, the 4.1 updates are predominantly noticeable in Chapters 1-10, so I don't think you will notice anything. The 4.1 update includes mostly text changes, some battle palette changes, and a couple base stat changes for balancing. If Riley is available in Chapter 17x, he will have higher resistance base stat. 

22 hours ago, Indiiea said:

I also wonder, is there a way to implement the more than 5 support fix? I do love reading them and this has so many, it feels hard to just pick a few for a single playtrough!

Agree, the supports are really fun; though, I think increasing the number of supports would mess with the balance of the game due to support bonuses, so that might be a complicated change. 

Edited by caladrius