Who is you least liked or most hated FE characters

ciphertul

The FE series has had a great roster of characters but sadly not all are as universally liked as others, so in your opinion who is your least or most disliked FE character? Please remember that this is an opinion thread, so try to be respectful, especially to those that hold a different opinion.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see this thread going very bad places very quickly. 

But Nowi. God, I hate Nowi.

Elise being a close second. I already disliked her, but her taking up a character slot in Warriors AND being just flat out better than Leo (a character I like) in literally every single way that matters was just too much.

I know, I posted this knowing the storm I called but I’m curious on people opinions. I already had yours called, you do seem to dislike them lolis. I think mine will be just as bad, kinda a tie between Lucina/Cordelia(Caeldori)/Ninian/Azura

Just now, ciphertul said:

I know, I posted this knowing the storm I called but I’m curious on people opinions. I already had yours called, you do seem to dislike them lolis. I think mine will be just as bad, kinda a tie between Lucina/Cordelia(Caeldori)/Ninian/Azura

Not universally, mind you. Exceptions include Myrrh, Tiki, Nino, and Amelia. It's particular personalities that get under my skin. 

3 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I see this thread going very bad places very quickly.

TC ran it by me first, which is always solid for controversial things.  Where it goes is anyone's guess.  But I'll be here to hand out warnings should it go too far.

---

Cordelia's still the queen of my dislike list, with Nina/Severa not far behind.

1 minute ago, ciphertul said:

That is why I said seem, just an educated guess based on your other post on flayn/Nowi/Elise

Right. And it's a fair guess, because it's mostly true.

With the community at large, these characters generally seem very popular though, so I guess I'm in the minority.

Edited by Etheus

That's a bit of a hard question to answer really as there is a lot of characters in this series. And while I like some characters more than others, I find it hard to think of a character that I outright "hate".

But to name few:
Kyle from FE8. In a cast so colorful and full of all kinds of personalities, I find Kyle to be very boring. And while I tend to like characters that feel like normal and real people, Kyle just doesn't work for me. I don't even dislike him, but he really stands out for being boring in such a fun cast, and not the good way.

I'm also not too big on Soren from Tellius series. He's very unlikable and rude, and really lacks any traits that make up for it, and I personally think if he wasn't smart, not many characters  would have tolerated him.

Oh and there is also Edelgard who I'm not too big on, but let's not open that can of worms. 

Azama. Everything about him just
annoys me and makes me boil with anger

Doesn't help that my first impression of him was literally his worst support but it's not like anything makes up for it

5 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

Yea, Azama is pretty bad, but (and this is with Cordelia) I do love Mitama(and Severa) so as much as I dislike them I end up using them

See I love Cordelia for the actual core of her character, but all the Chrom shit just drags her down so hard.
I don't personally hate her at all but I do totally get where people come from.

Honestly it just helps that her Avatar support is genuinely one of her best.

Severa though I don't really like in Awakening save for Future Past, but greatly enjoy her in Fates, so... she's an odd case.

No character in this series will ever be as bad as Peri. There's characters I dislike and then there's characters I genuinely despise and Peri is one of them. No redeeming qualities with her at all.

My first thought was immediately Camilla, but then people call out characters like Tharja, Nowi and Peri and I started thinking...

But no, it's still Camilla, I do not like Camilla.

Edit: Also, it's weird how everyone names either characters I also hate, or characters that are among my favorites.

Edited by whase

2 minutes ago, whase said:

My first thought was immediately Camilla, but then people call out characters like Tharja, Nowi and Peri and I started thinking...

But no, it's still Camilla, I do not like Camilla.

Edit: Also, it's weird how everyone names either characters I also hate, or characters that are among my favorites.

I guess that's because the most popular and least popular characters tend to be uniquely polarizing. 

No one is likely to be bringing up characters like Bord and Cord (oops I just did), because they lack any identifiable personality for better or worse.

I'm surprised no one said Garon yet. If something about Fates plot doesn't work than Garon is usually the one to blame for it, or he at least makes the issue worse than it might have been. Its rare to see a character who does as much damage to a game's story as king Garon. And then there's the huge amount of wasted potential and him ultimately being very dull. 

One of my least liked figures in the series would have to be Michalis. Marth and Gotoh  seem to treat him as a poor soul who could gave been great if he hadn't lost his way but Michalis does nothing to deserve that sympathy. During his time as a villain he's just an irredeemable tyrant who commits evil and tears apart his family not for any noble reason but so that he and his evil kingdom can rule the world. He's not even good at being a villain since his evil plan to betray Medeus is among the worst evil plans in the series. And to top it all Michelis gets a happy ending despite very willingly having turned very evil while Hardin who really couldn't help himself has to be put down.

And then there's Gharnef. He's not the trainwreck that Garon is but he just lacks...well, everything. Gharnef has appeared in more Fire Emblem games than any other villain. He should be the most developed, the most interesting and the most impressive villain in the series but he's the exact opposite of that. Despite all his games he's still just a NES villain without much of a personality aside from the standard Gharnef template. 

No one is likely to be bringing up characters like Bord and Cord (oops I just did), because they lack any identifiable personality for better or worse.

I would actually. To me being boring is far worse than being problematic or poorly written. Its why Gharnef is on my list even if he's technically more competently written than someone like Nergal. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

8 minutes ago, whase said:

Inoffensive characters tend not to provoke strong reactions either way from anyone.

So, I used to ride the Micaiah hate train pretty hard, and I still don't like her, but for gameplay reasons, I actually dislike Sothe more. He takes up a tower slot for some reason, has an extremely delayed plot promotion for no reason- he's one of those characters that FE10 treats as more important than they really are and it ends up bogging things down. Micaiah is more obnoxious as a character but she at least matters more to the plot than Marcus does, and there was an attempt to do something unique with her as a unit.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

Gharnef may be absolutely boring as a character (although there is potential with his relation to  Miloah but they really don't do anything with that ever), but at least his VA is just so, so extremely cheesy villain, which makes him very amusing to listen to. I could never hate that cheese.

That said, for me, with characters like Gharnef that're just kinda plot devices I don't really dislike them, they're just... existent. They exist for a purpose and they fill it.

Edited by Emerson

5 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I'm surprised no one said Garon yet. If something about Fates plot doesn't work than Garon is usually the one to blame for it, or he at least makes the issue worse than it might have been. Its rare to see a character who does as much damage to a game's story as king Garon. And then there's the huge amount of wasted potential and him ultimately being very dull. 

One of my least liked figures in the series would have to be Michalis. Marth and Gotoh  seem to treat him as a poor soul who could gave been great if he hadn't lost his way but Michalis does nothing to deserve that sympathy. During his time as a villain he's just an irredeemable tyrant who commits evil and tears apart his family not for any noble reason but so that he and his evil kingdom can rule the world. He's not even good at being a villain since his evil plan to betray Medeus is among the worst plots in the series. And to top it all Michelis gets a happy ending despite very willingly having turned very evil while Hardin who really couldn't help himself has to be put down.

And then there's Gharnef. He's not the trainwreck that Garon is but he just lacks...well, everything. Gharnef has appeared in more Fire Emblem games than any other villain. He should be the most developed, the most interesting and the most impressive villain in the series but he's the exact opposite of that. Despite all his games he's still just a NES villain without much of a personality aside from the standard Gharnef template. 

I would actually. To me being boring is far worse than being problematic or poorly written. Its why Gharnef is on my list even if he's technically more competently written than someone like Nergal. 

I mean, you would have to put almost the entirety of the Shadow Dragon cast on your list equally if boring was the worst trait. Because in Shadow Dragon (unlike the above mentioned Kyle in Sacred Stones) no one even manages to stand out as boring.