Who is you least liked or most hated FE characters

ciphertul

I'm not usually one to actively dislike characters, but...

Severa--A jerk, though a few of her supports are actually pretty cute; she does warm up by the time Fates rolls around.

Maribelle--Stuck-up; I especially despise her endings with Stahl and Libra

Sully: Sailor-mouth

Azama--Jerk and an absolute PAIN to pair up.

Brady: Bit of a jerk and sailor mouth

Takumi: Anyone who hurts Elise in a cutscene is on this list by default. Plus he's super mean to you, even before the branching point.

Xander: *Birthright spoilers*

Hans/Iago: JUST KILL THEM ALREADY!!! You are promoted units.

Arden: I know he means well, but he is UGLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Helbindi: Jerk, sailor-mouth, ugly. I get he's kind of having the whole Jaffar-Nino dynamic going on, but he's still really off-putting for the most part.

The Western Church of Seiros: 

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Morgan--Grandmaster
Azama

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I mean, you would have to put almost the entirety of the Shadow Dragon cast on your list equally if boring was the worst trait. Because in Shadow Dragon (unlike the above mentioned Kyle in Sacred Stones) no one even manages to stand out as boring. 

Well I am one of the harsher posters on this side when it comes to the Archenean cast. But I believe the axe brigade had it a little worse than the rest in that they didn't even talk when joining Marth. 

I'd say it's a four way tie between Edelgard, Lysithea, the Corrins, and the Robins. Lysithea though, she's one of those "the fandom ruined it for me" She has all the problems that Ricken and Hayato have with an even worse attitude than them but suddenly those traits are endearing with her and forgivable because of her sob story. If it wasn't for that I would have just been indifferent to her instead of hating her.

6 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Well I am one of the harsher posters on this side when it comes to the Archenean cast. But I believe the axe brigade had it a little worse than the rest in that they didn't even talk when joining Marth. 

Ironically, I actually prefer Bord to Barst based on design. (If that isn't an unpopular opinion, I don't know what is).

Edited by Etheus

Peri is easily at the top of my list. I don't think 'serial killer' is a cute and endearing character gimmick. The fact that everyone just allows her to use anything sharper then a crayon is something that makes the good guys look worse.

Fire Emblem characters I like the least... I'll have to sort them by category:

Characters whose main aspect is being obsessed with the protagonist: Aimee in Path of Radiance was okay because she was an NPC and a bit of comic relief (responsible for one of the funniest scenes imaginable in FE: Ike frantically hiding under Soren's desk in a panic), but even she was pushing it. Characters like Tharja and Faye took the obsession and creepiness up to 11 while also having more presence in the game due to being playable characters, and it's just not funny; it's horrifying. It also displays a bit of a double-standard on the part of the writers: when a guy creepily obsesses over a female main character, it's bad, but if a female character creepily obsesses over a male main character, then it's "funny". 

Mary Sues: Alm and Corrin had potential, but they both suffer from one of the worst things that can be done with a protagonist. They unnaturally distort the plot around themselves and make themselves the center of everything that matters, glorification of their characters take precedence over writing their characters, they can do no wrong and every good character worships the ground on which they walk while the bad characters hate them, and just look at how special they are without having to earn any of it. It stinks!

One could say that it's not their fault; that their victims of their respective games' poor writing, but it is still a problem with how their characters are written, so it is still a problem with their characters. 

Half the Cast in Fates: Okay; half is an exaggeration. But so many of them are just so one-note and gimmicky that it's hard to even call them characters. Two in particular that suffer from this are:

• Peri: being a one-note gimmick character is bad enough, but when that one gimmick is enjoying killing other people, then the character writing has just driven off a cliff and sunk to the bottom of a trench. Writing a character whose one noteworthy trait is that they enjoy killing people is... okay writing for a villain character (people seem to like Light Yagami after all), but it's lousy writing for a character on the good guys' side. 
  • Azami: at least his gimmick isn't murder, but when his one gimmick is that he has the personality of an internet troll, then that's not much of an improvement. 

I'm pretty sure I've literally killed off character's over personality before, but for the life of me I can't remember which ones.

Least liked are - Conquest Corrin, Azama, Bernadetta, and Gaius.

I have a hard time hating anyone, mostly because even charvaters I despised at first grew on me as I learned their backstory (Camilla would be a perfect example. Still hate her outfit though.) But two that I really was just creeped out by were Soleil and Nina, mostly just because they're such Perverts. Fates is really the only game I hated anyone from, though.

Edited by Sir Wolfram of Vallora

Hard question, there are quite a few I dislike or straight out hate - and the lead of the list HAS to be Nowi. Everything about her is just... wrong. Now, I'm not necessarily against lolis, as long as they are nothing more than a, you know, young girl. I don't actually hate Elise or Sakura that much, I technically also don't dislike Myrrh, but Nowi....... I just can't...

Other than her, I never really was a fan of Camilla, but at some point I realized that she is actually kind of acceptable? Unlike Tharja or Manuela. I also don't like Edelgard. But there is one character in 3H that I just can't stand - Bernadetta... She is the most boring character in the entire game, with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I'm also not a fan of Ignatz.

Some other hated characters of mine are: Loki, Helbindi, Surtr, the enemy nightmare-fairies from book IV, Veronica, Bruno, Anna (almost every single Anna), Corrins, Hel, Rowan, Darios...

Oh boy, a "hating characters" thread! My favourite passtime! Let's see if I can't get more people to hate me.

I tend to dislike most Navarres, but Rutger stands tall above all the rest, because not only is he extremely edgy, he's also the best unit in his game and that just ticks me off. It's actively detrimental not to use him, the game wants you to use him - and that's why I never will. Because I hate his guts, and I'm not letting the game force me into using someone whose guts I hate.

Also in FE6 we have Clarine. She's a stuck-up, self-important, arrogant brat who thinks she's hot shit and treats everyone but her brother as if they were stains on the bottom of her boot. In other words, the kind of person I'd despise in real life. Early mounted healer can suck my derriere, I'm sticking with Elen and Saul. Not that Saul's a much better person, but at least he's entertaining to watch. Clarine is just so infuriating.

Lute is Clarine 2. That's about it, really. Attacking Knoll for no reason was pretty dumb.

Claude. Yes, Claude. I know, I know. How can I hate him? He's oh-so-awesome! He's handsome, and he's charismatic! He ended racism! Well, I don't hate him as much as I hate what he isn't. He's not a protagonist. I know the game likes to insist he is, but he isn't. Much like 90% of Three Houses, I feel like he could've been so much more, but instead, he ended up being naught but hot air and empty promises.

I mean, what does he do, really? Well, there's the two mock battles, but you could remove him from those and nothing would change. In the AM war, he appears a grand total of twice. The first time he's getting bamboozled and acting like a complete idiot, and the second time he keeps gloating about this great plan of his that basically boils down to "pray Teach brings the army of Faerghus here before I get my ass handed to me". Then he fucks off the plot for no other reason than to bait the player into playing his route to find out what his deal was.

And this is probably his best route. In SS, he does the same as in AM, only he disappears after Gronder. In CM, he's a one-off boss, full stop. Even in his own route! He doesn't do much there either, because VW's a copy-paste of SS - the route where he barely even exists at all!

In summary, my problem with Claude is that he's the exact opposite to the "Marth Lord" archetype everyone loves to hate: he has all the personality that the Marth Lords lack, but he compensates by being a glorified secondary character. So why does he get a free pass and a legion of fans, while guys like Eliwood, Roy and Marth himself are constantly bashed for being boring (though, admittedly, I've been seeing less and less of this as time goes on)? Sex appeal and charm are my best guesses.

Frankly, he feels like they threw him in at the last minute because Three Houses sounded better than Two Houses. He has nothing to do with the main plot, he has nothing to do with the main themes, he does nothing of any importance and his quest doesn't even seem to go anywhere, as far as I know. You could remove him from the game and the story would be perfectly fine - and then, the devs would've had more time to polish and improve the other routes.

3 minutes ago, Sir Wolfram of Vallora said:

I have a hard time hating anyone, mostly because even charvaters I despised at first grew on me as I learned their backstory (Camilla would be a perfect example. Still hate her outfit though.) But two that I really was just creeped out by were Soleil and Nino, mostly just because they're such Perverts. Fates is really the only game I hated anyone from, though.

Did you mean Nina? I don’t remember nino ever being a pervert.

56 minutes ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

The Western Church of Seiros: 

Didn't know there is special line for Ashes here, and how come Rhea is right next to him?

Were you using rescue/warp to make Rhea fight, or is this a modified version game?

Reading this thread just makes me again how glad we don't have one side gimmick bikini women from Fates

Edited by Timlugia

There are plenty of characters I dislike in Fire Emblem (fortunately, the majority are on my 'like' list), but if I had to name one character whom I absolutely despise, it's Azura. Like, with the exception of her voice in the English version of the game, NOTHING about this character is appealing to me.
Not even the spin-off, Fire Emblem Warriors, endeared me to her like it did with the majority of the other Fates characters present.

As for the rest of the characters on my sh**list, I decided to make a list.

Fates Royals - Most annoying characters in the franchise; worst written characters in the franchise; every other character in the game only exists to lick their boots. And no, psychological issues do not excuse being an asshole, Takumi.
Exceptions are Sakura and Elise for actually having a brain between their ears

Kiragi - "Killing animals for sport is fun, right?" You deserve to die for that.

Forrest - Because attacking a CRYING CHILD with legendary magic developed by Dragons makes sense, right? No. No it does not.

Soren - Racist little dirtbag, whose every word wants to make me punch him. Like Takumi, trauma or psychological issues do not excuse treating others like dirt. They just don't.

Jakob - He's a dick to everyone, even his own son. That's enough for me to put him on here.

Sain/Gatrie/Inigo/Laslow/Virion/Bastian/Gray/Soleil/Sylvain/Lorenz - a.k.a. the womanizer trope needs to die. Seriously, it's not funny.
The only character who ever managed to make this trope funny/endearing to me is Ringabel. And Ringabel you are not. Stop trying, Fire Emblem.

Selena (Fates) - Severa was an adorable, if at times a little too straight-played Tsundere. As Selena, she's just an unlikeable b**** with a serious case of "I'M BETTER THAN YOU!". I don't even know what her problem is.

Jagen/Seth/Marcus/Kent/Abel/Cain/Geoffrey - Generic "We are loyal" cavaliers. These guys are here because they are really, really boring. Which makes them less offensive than some of the other examples on this list, but hey. If you want to be the "strongest class/unit", at least have SOME personality beyond "I am loyal" (and be likeable, please). See Titania, Frederick, Stahl, Clive, Mathilda. Zeke (kind of), and Kieran.

Anna - Money, money, money... That's Anna's character in one word (three actually, but you get the point). Out of all the potential characters that could have been Fire Emblem's mascots, it HAD to be the one with the money fetish. Ugh. I know she wasn't like that pre-Awakening, but that is the "personality" they've gone with since then in both the main series and spin-offs (a.k.a. Warriors), so I'm guessing it's the one they want her to have... which means she gets to be on my shitlist. Forever. Why? Because I blame greed for most of the problems in the real world today. And Anna IS greed personified.
And also for forcing me to drag the amazing song by Abba through the mud, now that I realize what I typed at the beginning there...
Lola (Fairy Fencer f) did this better. For two reasons: 1) she actually has a personality beyond "I love money!" and 2) her greed actually comes back to bite her in the ass, making her grow as a person, both very much UNLIKE Anna.

Ricken/Hayato/anyone else who falls under this umbrella - A.k.a. the bratty shota trope. Another "favorite". This character spends its entire time being an asshole to anyone and anything without ever really growing out of it. This extends beyond Fire Emblem, as well. See Karol in Tales of Vesperia.

Linhardt - He comes across as a creep and/or insensitive d-bag in his supports. His support chain with Flayn made me especially uncomfortable, as did his C-support with Lysithea (to the point where I didn't even want to unlock the rest).

Peri/Henry - "Murder and bloodshed is fun!" ... Why are you in my army? Get out there and die, please.

Dishonorable mentions that I am too lazy to justify right now or I don't feel that strongly about but still veer more towards dislike:
Leonie, Ignatz, Raphael, Effie, Niles, Subaki, Caeldori, Cordelia, Kliff, Pelleas, Azama

Edited by DragonFlames

47 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Mary Sues: Alm and Corrin had potential, but they both suffer from one of the worst things that can be done with a protagonist. They unnaturally distort the plot around themselves and make themselves the center of everything that matters, glorification of their characters take precedence over writing their characters, they can do no wrong and every good character worships the ground on which they walk while the bad characters hate them, and just look at how special they are without having to earn any of it. It stinks!

Oh right! Speaking for Alm... Celica! I forgot about her! I hate Chapter 4 Celica. She is alright in Chapters 2 and 3, but in Chapter 4 she becames so dumb!

I like Alm, though. She was an enjoyable character from start to fiish for me. The Deliverance is a cool group of people.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

19 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Sain/Gatrie/Inigo/Laslow/Virion/Bastian/Gray/Soleil/Sylvain/Lorenz - a.k.a. the womanizer trope needs to die. Seriously, it's not funny.

I never noticed that we have that many womanizer characters in FEH... but yeah... they can die.

20 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Fates Royals - Most annoying characters in the franchise... Exceptions are Sakura and Elise for actually having a brain between their ears

I also like Sakura and Elise. They are cool. I cannot say that i hate Xander, because he is ok for me... and also I cannot say that I hate Hinoka, because I don't care enough for the caracter... I don't love her, I don't have her, she just... exist... she would not be missed by me if she didn't exist at all.

The rest of Fates Royals can die, including their sons... Except male Kana... best son.

43 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I tend to dislike most Navarres, but Rutger stands tall above all the rest, because not only is he extremely edgy, he's also the best unit in his game and that just ticks me off. It's actively detrimental not to use him, the game wants you to use him - and that's why I never will. Because I hate his guts, and I'm not letting the game force me into using someone whose guts I hate.

Rutger isn't that bad, but I'm largely in agreement with you there. He's so good and so, so edgy. "They murdered my entire village." Wow. I'm glad you and I could have such solidarity concerning Binding Blade-

43 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Not that Saul's a much better person, but at least he's entertaining to watch. Clarine is just so infuriating.

Hey. Saul is a top 5 FE6 character pick.

Surprised no one has mentioned Shinon yet but now that I've mentioned Shinon everyone 'bout to dogpile the guy.

I actually like Shinon.

My least favorite real character is one who doesn't like Shinon.

1 minute ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Surprised no one has mentioned Shinon yet but now that I've mentioned Shinon everyone 'bout to dogpile the guy

I think the point is to hate shinon, and I think that is why nobody really brings him up

3 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Surprised no one has mentioned Shinon yet but now that I've mentioned Shinon everyone 'bout to dogpile the guy.

To be fair... I don't care enough about him that I forgot who Shinon is. Then, I am always like... "Oh right... that archer in PoR/RD... meh"