Who is you least liked or most hated FE characters

ciphertul

I can't really say I actively dislike a character. There's plenty of characters I'm indifferent too, but not many I actively dislike.

Although one character I'm not fond of for minor reasons is Azura. I know she's a lot of people's favorite, but there's so many things about her that rub me the wrong way. I don't actually hate this character and see some merit in her, this could be Fates' bad writing and questionable design choices, but her case bothered me quite a bit.

1. I don't like her design. I know she's not from Hoshido nor Nohr, but her design is very strange. For someone trying hide the fact they're from a kingdom that cannot be said like it's the Voldemort of real estate, you would think she would dress more like a Hoshidan or Nohrian to fit in more. The second thing about her design I don't like is how busy it is. She has lovely hair, but it looks out of place on a character from FE. Her dress has an unnecessarily busy design as well. Her sleeves are really long for some reason even though they're supposed to be detached from the main garment, she's wearing a huge necklace, she has blue straps across her torso which ties to a ribbon, she has a huge piece of jewelry on her hip for some reason, she has a veil that doesn't do its job, she's only wearing one stocking, and she's barefoot... on a battlefield. If a couple of these elements were removed for a more consistent design, I'd be more happy. Personally, I would make the sleeves shorter, remove the necklace, make the other pieces of jewelry smaller, replace the veil with a headband or tiara, and give her some shoes. This sprite edit is a good example of how I wished her design was more like: 
    Spoiler

71ec95ceb2073b35164755b6e5ef52d9.jpg

2. She's also pointlessly mysterious at times. I know she's supposed to be mysterious, but her role in the story is too great to keep a secret for so long. She wouldn't have told Corrin anything until he caught her struggling with her secret. For something that concerns him too, you would think she would tell him right away or ease him into it, especially since she considered him a kindred spirit. It makes even less sense if Azura has a high support level with them too. I feel like she was made to be mysterious for the sake of being mysterious.
  3. Her singing animation sucks. Like, what is she doing when she sings? She does this really weird move. It's just a lot better to play with singing animations off.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

Arden: I know he means well, but he is UUUUUUUGGGGLY!

*Sniff* poor old Gonzales. How many people have hated him for having a bad hair day? Arden's not even that bad.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Let's see if I can't get more people to hate me.

Considering you're pretty great, you could stand to be less self-depreceating.

Anyways, I am very bad at holding animosity against someone for more than half an hour, both IRL and in FE. These aren't really HATES, they're just dislikes. Often, they're very petty.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys, Girls and everybody else! My list of least liked characters! 

1. Hector. (I've only played Eliwood mode, though.) His first actual appearance in FE7 in Eliwood mode is him randomly killing a soldier for no justifiable reason. 
Spoiler

Hector: Hey! What's going on over there? Looks like some rough business. You! Soldier! Are you just going to stand there and watch?

Soldier: Who do you think you are? This is Santaruz. What occurs here is no affair of any foreign lordling!

Hector: I believe I'm going to have to disagree with you. You see, the man they're attacking happens to be a friend of mine.

Soldier: A friend? What? ...Urrrgh! 

Hector: Sorry, but I'm in a hurry.

Ah yes, it takes much less time and effort to kill somebody than it does to move around them.

This basically summarizes my feelings about Hector. He doesn't have any strong appearences in Eliwood's route and seems to me like as much a brute as the boss of said chapter, Zagan, as he enjoys killing people. (Imagine Hector in a mall. Random Civilian: "Mmm, that sandwich looks tasty, I'm gonna go order it!  Hector: *stabs him* Sorry, but I'm in a hurry."

2. Tethys. For pretty much two reasons: I prefer A-supporting Gerik with Marisa, and two, and her A-support with Artur. (She's lucky she wasn't arrested for assaulting a minor.)  Otherwise, she's fine, but she generally rubs me the wrong way.

3. Severa/Selena. She's pretty boring and isn't outstanding character wise either way. I have nothing against her grumpiness. Well, not much anyways. She's largely merely a "Meh" character for me, but she's mean to people, which takes her down a few notches below "meh."

4. Clarine, for the reasons stated by Anon.

5. Shinnon, but only because he's tainting Rolf's childhood. I don't particularly dislike him, other than the fact that he likes killing people. (But at least he doesn't do it just because the person's in his way.)

6. Makalov. He can't even pull himself together when he marries Astrid! Truly shameful.

6 hours ago, Ottservia said:

She’s actually much better in the Japanese version of fates because Treehouse does not know how to localize a tsundere apparently. I mean 8-4 isn’t great either but they didn’t completely butcher her really sweet jp S-support with M!Corrin which is something I will never forgive them for.

So it was the localization that screwed her character up, then. I kinda figured that was the case, because when Fates came out, I kept reading about how she supposedly matured from her Awakening self. When I played the game for myself, I didn't see it (surprise, surprise).

Now I'm kinda curious about the Japanese support you mentioned, but I don't know Japanese so... damn it.

Oh, right. If we're talking bout localization changing characters, then I definitely dislike Effie.
It makes me upset they changed her character to food, training, training, food, Elise, training. 
Reminds me of how certain Persona spin-offs treat 2 characters I like a lot there.

Berkut. I was really excited for him when it was first announced Alm had a cousin. I thought he'd probably be recruitable and serve as someone who could take up the Royal Sword after Alm gets Falchion. But then I played the game and Berkut turned out to be a completely superfluous character. All he did was lose to Alm and then whine about losing to Alm. He offers absolutely no meaningful contribution to the story.

Imagine for comparison we had a Path if Radiance remake in which they add a new character, Ike's half brother or something out to prove he's worthy to be Greil's son. Not a bad concept (though it does a bit of disservice to Greil's character). But then in practise all he does is fight Ike four or five times and then Ike kills him in the final map. Would that feel like a meaningful addition to the story, when it in no way affects the plot or character actions? That's what Berkut is to me. A character that could have been interesting and developed and old story in new ways, but utterly failed to justify his existence.

44 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

So it was the localization that screwed her character up, then. I kinda figured that was the case, because when Fates came out, I kept reading about how she supposedly matured from her Awakening self. When I played the game for myself, I didn't see it (surprise, surprise).

Now I'm kinda curious about the Japanese support you mentioned, but I don't know Japanese so... damn it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/four-loose-screws.tumblr.com/post/158057378510/fire-emblem-fates-selena-japanese-vs/amp

Here’s a blog with some direct translations. The changes from C-A are rather subtle but noticeable enough. The S-support is a complete and utter disaster though. Like treehouse learn to localize a tsundere properly. It’s not hard. Also people who say Selena is “better” in fates because she “matured” does not understand how her character operates cause that’s a lie.

Edited by Ottservia

Wow Peri, Selena and Bernie are getting all the hate. Which is kinda sad as I like them, but I started this so that is on me. I pipe in with I also dislike Clive, Matilda should get much better.

Leonie comes to mind. I just get annoyed every time she mentions Jeralt. Not a fan of some of her supports either.

I also don't like Faye, Peri, Makalov, Serra and Neimi among others.

oof, there are so many characters from Fates. Who should I choose? Well...I would like to write about all of those characters who I dislike, but the thing is I'm just gonna repeat myself over and over again, because my problem with them, that they're all gimmicky. How I tired that Awakening and Fates just use silly, archetypical characters over and over again. There is tsundere type, there is yandere type, there is psychopath type, there is unlucky guy type, there is "I'm smarter than you" type, there is loli type, shy girl type, flawless man type, big boobs type, etc. I have really a few characters that I like in both of these games or rather just neutral to them. So I'll just name these characters: Oboro, Takumi, Niles, Beruka(kind of), Selena(kind of) and...That's kind of it? 
Well, outside of Fates and Awakening characters, there are also some people from other games, like Bernadetta for example. So anoying little one. That's kind of character who they should've put in Fates, because TH really tries to not f*** up with the characters. They're even gave some cliche characters such as Felix or Sylvain some meaningful reasons to act the way they act. Sadly Bernie is not the case...
Cyril, Catherine - Rhea, Rhea, Rhea...Move on
Hubert - annoying... same as the preious ones, but change "Rhea" with "Edelgard".
Lysithea and all "I am not a child" kinds of characters
Makalov - because he is just disgusting
Chagal - just a dumb ruler of his country
Edit:Oh, I've just noticed that the title is saying about ONE character. If you don't mind I'll leave my list of least fav characters. I'm sorry for my inattention...

Edited by Altha
Inattenion

Yea, I probably should had made it “Characters” instead, as it’s rather difficult to narrow it down to just one. I do enjoy see who everyone hates(I know I hate ones people like and they hate ones I like) so keep on letting us know.

52 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Garon has many, many, many, many flaws but his character design isn't one of them. Its actually a really great evil emperor design. 

Yep. He looks absolutely majestic.

Image result for slime garon fire emblem"

JK.  I think Garon has a pretty great design too.

5 hours ago, Strullemia said:

Bernadetta, Makalov and Peri are characters I like the least but the one I outright hate (but to be fair that's kind of the point in her case) is Hilda from FE4.

I'd argue Makalov is also a character that's supposed to be disliked. 

Peri: Others have already pointed out how terrible her "gimmick" is, so I see no need to repeat it. But even ignoring that, she's still one of the worse "finds killing fun" characters I have seen, for the dual reasons of her casual murders doesn't serve some other purpose than making other characters look bad, and how she rarely, if ever, says anything hilarious.

It is often said that well-written versions of the Joker can get the audience to both laugh and scream. Your squadmates in Star Wars: Republic Commando are extremely casual about killing their opposition, and this is used to reinforce that they're trained super soldiers so used to being sent on near suicide missions that they can joke about it. Several FPS protagonists don't take their enemies seriously as a hint that neither should the player. The most Peri establishes is that Nohr doesn't care who's on the front lines as long as they get the job done... A role Hans already fulfills as early as his first appearance and something nearly every other recruitable character reinforces long before Peri shows up.

It doesn't help that Peri rarely provides any good black comedy, which is something these kind of characters tend to excel at. Nothing she said made me so much as chuckle, and while I know that humor is subjective, my mind just kept thinking about how much funnier the jokes that similar characters of the archetype made. It didn't help that for all of Fates writing faults, boring battle dialogue was not one of them, and indeed, I enjoyed using units like Arthur, Keaton, and Niles partially because of what they said while fighting (them being turning out to be competent units for me (and in the case of Keaton, tied for my best. His and Effie's tanking abilities saved the day countless times) didn't hurt), causing Peri's lack of entertaining quotes to stick out.

Hans and Iago: I understand the writers were aiming for them to be "love to hate" villians, but instead I just hate them and they overstay their welcome fast. All throughout my first playthrough of conquest, I was waiting for some kind of side chapter where you could kill them much earlier than when the story allowed. I wouldn't care if it was the hardest and most unfair level in the game, I just wanted the opportunity to kill the bastards and be done with it instead of watching Corrine grin and bear it.

Severa: I understand why people like her, and I do see the appeal of her being a jerk with a heart of gold. I'm just not a fan of how much of her crap you have to go through in order to see said gold.

6 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

Severa: I understand why people like her, and I do see the appeal of her being a jerk with a heart of gold. I'm just not a fan of how much of her crap you have to go through in order to see said gold.

Severa isn’t even “jerk with a hard of gold though” that’s not what tsunderes are. Brady and Helbindi are “Jerks with a heart of gold”. Tsunderes are more “really sweet but don’t want to show it off” kinda deal. It’s honestly really hard to describe unless you get it already. It isn’t so much that she has a heart of gold but rather that underneath that outer layer of tsun tsun there’s a really sweet and loving girl but for whatever reason she just doesn’t want to admit to it. Like they’re completely awful at hiding their true feelings and get all flustered when you catch them doing so. The best example I can think of in more western media is Helga from hey arnold. The crux of tsundere isn’t so much that they’re nice but more so the idea that they’re not really being honest with themselves and the way they try to deny it is adorable. Like it’s better to think of them in terms of romance if anything. It’s as they say “In the end, it’s all worth it for that blush” cause that’s really where their appeal lies. 

Like “jerk with a hard of gold” characters are nice despite how they usually act. Tsundere characters are sweet and loving despite how they usually act and yes there is a difference. A “jerk” character will typically do nice things through their actions and they won’t necessarily deny it(depending on the character anyway) but they’ll do it more silently. A tsundere will bake a cake for their supposed love interest only for them to get insecure about it, rattle on about how they only made it in like five minutes to give off the impression that they didn’t care enough to put any effort into it(when it’s very much so the opposite), then blush and get really flustered when you tell them it’s actually really good. They’ll call you stupid but in reality they’re really happy that you liked it but they’re a flustered mess at that point. You can see this a lot in Takumi’s supports which is why he’s classified as a male tsundere. There’s a reason why the quintessential tsundere phrase is “It’s not like I like you or anything! BAKA!”

As someone who puts way too much thought into the breaking down of common anime and story telling tropes, I felt I needed to clarify this.

Edited by Ottservia

8 hours ago, Ottservia said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/four-loose-screws.tumblr.com/post/158057378510/fire-emblem-fates-selena-japanese-vs/amp

Here’s a blog with some direct translations. The changes from C-A are rather subtle but noticeable enough. The S-support is a complete and utter disaster though. Like treehouse learn to localize a tsundere properly. It’s not hard. Also people who say Selena is “better” in fates because she “matured” does not understand how her character operates cause that’s a lie.

Thank you for sharing this!
The S-support was really sweet in the original. No wonder you called the localized one disastrous.

7 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

The crux of tsundere isn’t so much that they’re nice but more so the idea that they’re not really being honest with themselves and the way they try to deny it is adorable.

In certain cases, Severa being an inferiority complex Tsundere is a lot different (and cutier) then let’s say an egotistical tsundere  

Edited by ciphertul

17 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Rutger isn't that bad, but I'm largely in agreement with you there. He's so good and so, so edgy. "They murdered my entire village." Wow. I'm glad you and I could have such solidarity concerning Binding Blade-

Hey. Saul is a top 5 FE6 character pick.

Ahahah... that didn't last long, did it.

Hey, but be fair with me. I said he's not a very good person, not that I dislike him as a character. He's my favourite of the "womanizer" trope. Mainly because he's actually portrayed as a creepy stalker with occasional redeeming moments, rather than as a lovable goofball that is actually an awesome guy when he's not being disgusting. All the others are so predictable...

Also, I love that he's a priest. Probably the best class to put one of these dudes in.

11 hours ago, Benice said:

Considering you're pretty great, you could stand to be less self-depreceating.

D'aaawwwwww... look what you've done. Now I'm blushing. I hope you're proud of yourself!

18 hours ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

Arden: I know he means well, but he is UGLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Hoo boy, somebody hasn't played TearRing Saga.

Ye0mwpvi oJ015avhm oIrrdqn4a o2zmzcb60 oCtmximdg o

Yeah. Arden not lookin' so bad now, is he? Also, one of these is playable. Take a guess which one it is.

Anyway, a couple more characters to add to the pyre.

Perceval and Seth. I talked in my previous post about how I hate Rutger not just because he's a psycopath, but also because he's the best unit in the game. Well, Perceval's a similar case. I don't hate him as much as I do Rutger, but Perceval is just... so boring. Even in the gameplay. He's just an awesome unit. He has the best bases, a horse, middling growths. Nothing more to him. What you see is what you get. He's great, sure, but he's also such a predictable unit that he is no fun to watch. The most boring unit to use in FE6, with a personality to match. Yawn.

As for Seth, I could probably just copypaste all I just said, because he's exactly the same. I think he somehow manages to be even more boring than Perceval. Go figure.

FE6 Merlinus. Oh dear, I hate a lot of people from FE6, don't I? Merlinus's case is especially egregious, because he's the direct successor of Augustus, the best advisor-guy in the series, and faces direct competition in the form of TearRing Saga's Eugen, who is the best character in games.

All Merlinus ever does is go against Roy in arguments and scream about traps. Every time Roy agrees to help someone or speak to somebody or, really, do anything, without fail, Merlinus is there to start rambling about traps and danger and nonsense. Guinivere was a trap, Milady was a trap, Elphin was a trap, saving villagers from brigands was a waste of time, helping the Western Isles was too dangerous, letting fleeing soldiers live is too risky... it seems he's allergic to doing the right thing. Also, nothing Roy ever does is good enough for this guy (I cannot recall a single instance of Merlinus acknowledging anything that Roy does well), which is pretty ironic, because he never does anything right himself.

Funnily enough, the one time Roy and company do fall into a trap (chapter 6), Merlinus had no qualms with the very obviously shady guy that set them up. It's like a bad joke of a character - he literally only exists to be wrong. After Augustus's harsh but wise lessons, Dorius's foolish but admirable valor, and Eugen's hilarious antics and badassery, this old fart is just infuriating. He's half the reason FE6's story is as unenjoyable as it is, frankly. The other half being that, aside from him, there are only two other characters that Roy ever talks to.

Heath. His hair is dumb.

Okay, I'll admit, I cannot remember a single thing about this character other than he's a Wyvern Rider from Bern, and his hair is dumb. So yeah.

To be fair, though, that hair is among the worst hairs in all the history of FE. Ugh!

Vyland. Usually I'm a stern detractor of the notion that the Archanean cast is completely barebones. There are plenty of hidden gems to be found there, be it Cain's surprisingly solid characterization in FE11, Horace's whole chapter in FE11, Arran's absolutely amazing support in FE12 and his beautiful gameplay-story integration, Arlen's development, all the people who got a personality in FE12...

No such luck with Vyland. I know he's a meme in Japan, but... honestly, I fail to see anything going for him. Almost every other Archanean character at least has something. Sedgar is equally plain, but at least he's a hilarious unit in FE11. Roshea is Vyland 2 in FE11, but he's an awesome guy in FE12. Tomas's face is hilarious. Frost has a great personality if you bother to actually pay attention to him. Radd... okay, I hate the Radd meme, but at least he has something of a personality in his FE12 gaiden chapter? It's something, at least! What does Vyland have, really? He's a terrible unit in both games, he has an ordinary face, he never says or does anything funny, his name sounds boring... He just has nothing.

Even when it comes to being forgettable, he's unable to beat legends like Frost and Tomas - characters so thoroughly slept on, that I cannot help but have a soft spot for them. When you're so forgettable that you can't beat others at being forgettable, you know you're doing something very wrong.

• eclipse changed the title to Who is you least liked or most hated FE characters
5 hours ago, Altha said:

oof, there are so many characters from Fates. Who should I choose? Well...I would like to write about all of those characters who I dislike, but the thing is I'm just gonna repeat myself over and over again, because my problem with them, that they're all gimmicky. How I tired that Awakening and Fates just use silly, archetypical characters over and over again. There is tsundere type, there is yandere type, there is psychopath type, there is unlucky guy type, there is "I'm smarter than you" type, there is loli type, shy girl type, flawless man type, big boobs type, etc. I have really a few characters that I like in both of these games or rather just neutral to them. So I'll just name these characters: Oboro, Takumi, Niles, Beruka(kind of), Selena(kind of) and...That's kind of it? 
Well, outside of Fates and Awakening characters, there are also some people from other games, like Bernadetta for example. So anoying little one. That's kind of character who they should've put in Fates, because TH really tries to not f*** up with the characters. They're even gave some cliche characters such as Felix or Sylvain some meaningful reasons to act the way they act. Sadly Bernie is not the case...
Cyril, Catherine - Rhea, Rhea, Rhea...Move on
Hubert - annoying... same as the preious ones, but change "Rhea" with "Edelgard".
Lysithea and all "I am not a child" kinds of characters
Makalov - because he is just disgusting
Chagal - just a dumb ruler of his country
Edit:Oh, I've just noticed that the title is saying about ONE character. If you don't mind I'll leave my list of least fav characters. I'm sorry for my inattention...

This. . .kinda sounds like you have an issue with tropes in general, instead of specific characters.  Awakening/Fates was especially bad about gimmicks over character writing and growth.

Not that disliking tropes is a bad thing (I dislike them when they're deployed with no sense of subtlety).  But if you can list out multiple tropes that annoy you, then it's best to cut to the heart of the matter.

25 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah. Arden not lookin' so bad now, is he? Also, one of these is playable. Take a guess which one it is.

Vyland. Usually I'm a stern detractor of the notion that the Archanean cast is completely barebones. There are plenty of hidden gems to be found there, be it Cain's surprisingly solid characterization in FE11, Horace's whole chapter in FE11, Arran's absolutely amazing support in FE12 and his beautiful gameplay-story integration, Arlen's development, all the people who got a personality in FE12...

No such luck with Vyland. I know he's a meme in Japan, but... honestly, I fail to see anything going for him. Almost every other Archanean character at least has something. Sedgar is equally plain, but at least he's a hilarious unit in FE11. Roshea is Vyland 2 in FE11, but he's an awesome guy in FE12. Tomas's face is hilarious. Frost has a great personality if you bother to actually pay attention to him. Radd... okay, I hate the Radd meme, but at least he has something of a personality in his FE12 gaiden chapter? It's something, at least! What does Vyland have, really? He's a terrible unit in both games, he has an ordinary face, he never says or does anything funny, his name sounds boring... He just has nothing.

Even when it comes to being forgettable, he's unable to beat legends like Frost and Tomas - characters so thoroughly slept on, that I cannot help but have a soft spot for them. When you're so forgettable that you can't beat others at being forgettable, you know you're doing something very wrong.

1. It's GOTTA be the dude with the eyepatch!  😛

2. Tomas is willing to put an arrow through Kris' head in the name of science training.  That's awesome.  I'm kinda sad that Sedgar's personality is bland, but at least he's cute!

41 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ahahah... that didn't last long, did it.

Hey, but be fair with me. I said he's not a very good person, not that I dislike him as a character. He's my favourite of the "womanizer" trope. Mainly because he's actually portrayed as a creepy stalker with occasional redeeming moments, rather than as a lovable goofball that is actually an awesome guy when he's not being disgusting. All the others are so predictable...

Also, I love that he's a priest. Probably the best class to put one of these dudes in.

D'aaawwwwww... look what you've done. Now I'm blushing. I hope you're proud of yourself!

Anyway, a couple more characters to add to the pyre.

Perceval and Seth. I talked in my previous post about how I hate Rutger not just because he's a psycopath, but also because he's the best unit in the game. Well, Perceval's a similar case. I don't hate him as much as I do Rutger, but Perceval is just... so boring. Even in the gameplay. He's just an awesome unit. He has the best bases, a horse, middling growths. Nothing more to him. What you see is what you get. He's great, sure, but he's also such a predictable unit that he is no fun to watch. The most boring unit to use in FE6, with a personality to match. Yawn.

As for Seth, I could probably just copypaste all I just said, because he's exactly the same. I think he somehow manages to be even more boring than Perceval. Go figure.

FE6 Merlinus. Oh dear, I hate a lot of people from FE6, don't I? Merlinus's case is especially egregious, because he's the direct successor of Augustus, the best advisor-guy in the series, and faces direct competition in the form of TearRing Saga's Eugen, who is the best character in games.

All Merlinus ever does is go against Roy in arguments and scream about traps. Every time Roy agrees to help someone or speak to somebody or, really, do anything, without fail, Merlinus is there to start rambling about traps and danger and nonsense. Guinivere was a trap, Milady was a trap, Elphin was a trap, saving villagers from brigands was a waste of time, helping the Western Isles was too dangerous, letting fleeing soldiers live is too risky... it seems he's allergic to doing the right thing. Also, nothing Roy ever does is good enough for this guy (I cannot recall a single instance of Merlinus acknowledging anything that Roy does well), which is pretty ironic, because he never does anything right himself.

Funnily enough, the one time Roy and company do fall into a trap (chapter 6), Merlinus had no qualms with the very obviously shady guy that set them up. It's like a bad joke of a character - he literally only exists to be wrong. After Augustus's harsh but wise lessons, Dorius's foolish but admirable valor, and Eugen's hilarious antics and badassery, this old fart is just infuriating. He's half the reason FE6's story is as unenjoyable as it is, frankly. The other half being that, aside from him, there are only two other characters that Roy ever talks to.

Heath. His hair is dumb.

Okay, I'll admit, I cannot remember a single thing about this character other than he's a Wyvern Rider from Bern, and his hair is dumb. So yeah.

To be fair, though, that hair is among the worst hairs in all the history of FE. Ugh!

I doubt it is, but I really hope it's the old guy on the far right. Mainly because I have no idea what class he'd be placed into.

Edited by Jotari

44 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

.FE6 Merlinus. Oh dear, I hate a lot of people from FE6, don't I? Merlinus's case is especially egregious, because he's the direct successor of Augustus, the best advisor-guy in the series, and faces direct competition in the form of TearRing Saga's Eugen, who is the best character in games.

I can't believe I forgot to mention FE6 Merlinus. One reason I don't like Merlinus in particular though is the fact that he's more or less the reason most of FE6's cast (particularly Lilina) gets shafted in the story, since he's just about the only person Roy talks to throughout the entire game, while other characters like Guinevere and Elphin, who both occasionally chime in, could use more screen time.

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

This. . .kinda sounds like you have an issue with tropes in general, instead of specific characters.  Awakening/Fates was especially bad about gimmicks over character writing and growth.

Not that disliking tropes is a bad thing (I dislike them when they're deployed with no sense of subtlety).  But if you can list out multiple tropes that annoy you, then it's best to cut to the heart of the matter.

1. It's GOTTA be the dude with the eyepatch!  😛

2. Tomas is willing to put an arrow through Kris' head in the name of science training.  That's awesome.  I'm kinda sad that Sedgar's personality is bland, but at least he's cute!

It's not like I dislike the tropes, even the older games have ones and I love them, and I've already mentioned that some trope characters in TH were done well. So it's not the problem in tropes themselves but rather how devs present this. Fates and Awakening are going too far with gimmicks, so those gimmicks become  the characters themselves. 

Edited by Altha

I gotta agree with eclipse on this one, it seems like they have a dislike of the tropes and not the characters in the trope. Like I’m not a fan of the womanizer trope but I feel Sain did it better and is more likable then say Sylvain.

Edited by ciphertul