Who is you least liked or most hated FE characters

ciphertul

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

Huh. 

EDIT: I figured it out; wrong person. Sorry, Jotari. 

Back to the topic, I dislike Wrys in Shadow Dragon for being basically useless even before the player gets Lena.

@Gregster101 I'm not actually going to question you on why you like Berkut. I'm actually going to make an educated guess as to the reasons:

• The voice acting
  • His design
  • His personality/gradually falling apart

Pretty much yeah. Berkut also came at a time where I thought we never get another good Fire Emblem villain again, and honestly, Berkut was what I needed after the Fates shitshow of villains. Side note, but Berkut's death is also one of the very few times in all of Fire Emblem where I actually cried. Make that of what you will.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will defend Fates’s story to the grave but even I can admit that the Villains are among the series’s worst. Outside of maybe Garon and Anankos all the villains are just straight up bad. Iago makes for a decent recurring antagonist in birthright but fuck if I could remember anything he does in Rev and CQ. And The less we say about Hans the better. Like the villains in this game just lack any kind of weight thematic or otherwise which makes their overall presence and significance to the story feel lukewarm at best.

For as terrible as a villain as Berkut is(and he is a terrible villain) at least he has presence and weight in the narrative. He’s also a good character to boot so he’s got that going for him at least.

Edited by Ottservia

3 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I will defend Fates’s story to the grave but even I can admit that the Villains are among the series’s worst. Outside of maybe Garon and Anankos all the villains are just straight up bad. Iago makes for a decent recurring antagonist in birthright but fuck if I could remember anything he does in Rev and CQ. And The less we say about Hans the better. Like the villains in this game just lack any kind of weight thematic or otherwise which makes their overall presence and significance to the story feel lukewarm at best.

Garon is just straight up wasted potential, Iago and Hans are literally the worst villains in the series, and Anankos literally ruins the entire premise of Fates. You see why I hate Fates' villains so fucking much? If Echoes didn't give me Berkut, I honestly would think we'd never get a good villain in Fire Emblem again cuz of how absolute dog shit the Fates crew was.

1 minute ago, Gregster101 said:

Garon is just straight up wasted potential, Iago and Hans are literally the worst villains in the series, and Anankos literally ruins the entire premise of Fates. You see why I hate Fates' villains so fucking much? If Echoes didn't give me Berkut, I honestly would think we'd never get a good villain in Fire Emblem again cuz of how absolute dog shit the Fates crew was.

I’ll with everything you said here except for Anankos. He’s arguably the best villain has which isn’t saying much I realize but at the very least he holds some kind of thematic significance to the story which is far more than what can be said about any other villain in fates. I mean you could argue the same for Garon but Garon is well Garon. We don’t talk about what happened to Garon. 

I will forever hold onto the opinion that Berkut is a good character but a terrible villain simply because the narrative weight he does have is rendered completely meaningless.

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

I’ll with everything you said here except for Anankos. He’s arguably the best villain has which isn’t saying much I realize but at the very least he holds some kind of thematic significance to the story which is far more than what can be said about any other villain in fates. I mean you could argue the same for Garon but Garon is well Garon. We don’t talk about what happened to Garon. 

I will forever hold onto the opinion that Berkut is a good character but a terrible villain simply because the narrative weight he does have is rendered completely meaningless.

If you legit think Berkut is just as bad as the Fates villains, then get out

I never said Berkut was as bad as Iago or Hans that’s just blasphemy. I’m actually with you in liking Berkut. He’s a great character. An amazing one even but as a villain he just kinda falls flat. He has all the hallmarks of a great villain. Intimating presence, large thematic weight, has ideals and goals that are odds with the protagonist to create meaningful conflict. Then you realize any meaning from his conflict with Alm is rendered meaningless because Alm is a hypocrit whose hypocrisy was never brought into question.

Edited by Ottservia

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

I never said Berkut was as bad as Iago or Hans that’s just blasphemy. I’m actually with you in liking Berkut. He’s a great character. An amazing one even but as a villain he just kinda falls flat. He has all the hallmarks of a great villain. Intimating presence, large thematic weight, has ideals and goals that are odds with the protagonist to create meaningful conflict. Then you realize any meaning from his conflict with Alm is rendered meaningless because Alm is a hypocrit whose hypocrisy was never brought into question.

Silence!

9 hours ago, nefferinthia said:

I frankly think mentioning Fates characters is unfair, it'd be a shorter list to name actually good Fates characters than bad ones.

Says the person with the Forrest avatar!  😛

7 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Severa’s psychological issues mostly stem from other people comparing her to Cordelia and Cordelia becoming something of a workaholic to try and create a world where Severa could grow up safely. She didn’t spend much time with her daughter which caused them to grow distant as a result. Cordelia likely hardly knew about Severa’s gigantic inferiority complex or if she did know she probably didn’t know how big it actually was.

Cordelia's treatment of Severa is subtle. . .subtly bad.  It's part of the reason why Severa's not my most hated character.  There's only one portion in that A support where Cordelia didn't feel like she was talking down to Severa (and then she went right back to it).

4 hours ago, Benice said:

MATTHEW: Unless you read his supports with Jaffar, he acts really insensitive to the fact that 

Reveal hidden contents

He literally says, "If she was a better spy, this wouldn't have happened." He does do a bit of mourning, but he wasn't really all that well written. Especially since his endings imply that he's dead inside, whereas we see very little evidence of that in-game.

Oh, Matthew. . .he's not quite on Legault'ss level of subtle, but he fancies himself good at hiding his emotions.  He usually pulls it off, too. . .until he's confronted by something he can't hide (Jaffar).  That supposed indifference can be due to a number of things, whether it be for him to refocus on his job, or to make sure he (or his liege) don't end up like her.

Just now, Gregster101 said:

Silence!

Do you know how you get suspended?  By doing this.  Tone it down.

Just now, eclipse said:

Says the person with the Forrest avatar!  😛

Cordelia's treatment of Severa is subtle. . .subtly bad.  It's part of the reason why Severa's not my most hated character.  There's only one portion in that A support where Cordelia didn't feel like she was talking down to Severa (and then she went right back to it).

Oh, Matthew. . .he's not quite on Legault'ss level of subtle, but he fancies himself good at hiding his emotions.  He usually pulls it off, too. . .until he's confronted by something he can't hide (Jaffar).  That supposed indifference can be due to a number of things, whether it be for him to refocus on his job, or to make sure he (or his liege) don't end up like her.

Do you know how you get suspended?  By doing this.  Tone it down.

My apologies.

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

I never said Cordelia’s treatment of her daughter was at all healthy. It isn’t by any stretch of the imagination but I still enjoy the nuance of it cause it’s something I can relate to. I’ve been in much similar situations with my parents(Still kinda am to be quite frank but that’s besides the point) though speaking personally, I would never hate or resent them for it because I can understand the reasons behind it. It’s just something I’ve grown accustomed to. I’ll leave that where it lies though. This is not the place to talk about that.

29 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Hes good in Heirs of Fate, but barely even exists in the main game. Revaluations included.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

Hes good in Heirs of Fate, but barely even exists in the main game. Revaluations included.

I made that statement with hidden truths in mind because without that oh boy is he just as bad as the rest of the villains in fates.

4 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I never said Cordelia’s treatment of her daughter was at all healthy. It isn’t by any stretch of the imagination but I still enjoy the nuance of it cause it’s something I can relate to. I’ve been in much similar situations with my parents(Still kinda am to be quite frank but that’s besides the point) though speaking personally, I would never hate or resent them for it because I can understand the reasons behind it. It’s just something I’ve grown accustomed to. I’ll leave that where it lies though. This is not the place to talk about that.

Please accept my heartfelt apologies.  Cordy/Severa is exactly how my parents didn't want to raise me, and if I have kids and do this to them, they'll probably kick my butt.

45 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Please accept my heartfelt apologies.  Cordy/Severa is exactly how my parents didn't want to raise me, and if I have kids and do this to them, they'll probably kick my butt.

Apology accepted. If there’s one thing I’ve learned growing up the way I did is that nothing is ever so black and white. There’s always a shade of gray to every issue. I could honestly go on and on about how much I can relate to Severa’s relationship with her mother but that’s a post for another time.

As for other characters I dislike, I’m just gonna say Camilla(kind of) simply because I just hate how the devs treat her less like an actual character and more like something to wank to because what little we do get of her actual character is incredibly interesting. It’s a shame the devs care more about shoving titties into our face than expanding on her actual character.

8 hours ago, Pengaius said:

While the game does this, the general fan base does not, the point that I was trying to make was that I dislike Sigurd because if you swapped Sigurd with Corrin, the game would be the exact same except with a different lord. My problem is that when people assess the story of genealogy they (almost) only have praise for its story and characters, Sigurd included while these same people would (rightfully) criticise all of the (many) faults in Fates' writing. People complain about how cartoonishly evil Garon is even though Julius is effectively the same. My big issue with Sigurd is just that he's dull, he isn't “cookie cutter lord" but it'd almost be better if he was (Marth, Roy, Eliwood and Seliph at least somewhat change or grow through their story but Sigurd is the exact same from the start to the end of gen 1 (love at first sight is not character development)). The way gothw is structured Sigurd only really has boss dialogue where he's angry, or has conversations at castles like this. 

Oifey: Lord Sigurd, some dude is attacking, save the villages. 

Sigurd: All right lets do the thing. (After arena and preps for like an hour lmao)

Deirdre/Shannan/Rahna: Wow Sigurd you sure are a cool dude, also seliph is your son. 

Sigurd: No time, war now. 

Sigurd also never benefits from lover conversations giving him character, and I'm not sure if he has any secret events but I haven't seen em. Sigurd is Corrin but used less and then dies and feel like nobody in the fan base ever genuinely criticises his character, like they do Corrin. But ultimately that's just a me thing. 

Ehhhhh. Falls flat, because the stretch between valflame and hellfire is a bit awkward, and Sigurd was too “Model Paladin" to actually go to hell. 8.5/10 IGN

Yarharharharhar, Holmes me boy, if ye don't shut up ye'll get a pincer upside the head. 

Untitled22_20200130233151.png

The more I think about the Sigurd-Corrin comparison, the more I see it. As someone who's a big fan of FE4, it's characters, and Kaga, I will admit I do see the double standard. I was never a fan of Sigurd to begin with, though. I suppose the difference is that Sigurd feels the consequences for his actions, unlike Corrin, but really, he doesn't. Other than that, he's quite battle-hungry and has a need to take everything into his own hands and solve others problems for them. More Duma than Alm, that's for sure. 

Also, both Arvis and Takumi are hated by many for not liking the "Corrin", and being the only one to really do so. I suppose Eldigan does criticise Sigurd, but he forgives him very quickly, and as they are established childhood friends that is kinda understandable. Sigurd is also handed both Arvis and Deirdre's backstories on a silver plate and does nothing with the information whatsoever; he is well aware they are half siblings and both possess Loptyr blood. 

4 minutes ago, Fire Brand said:

The more I think about the Sigurd-Corrin comparison, the more I see it. As someone who's a big fan of FE4, it's characters, and Kaga, I will admit I do see the double standard. I was never a fan of Sigurd to begin with, though. I suppose the difference is that Sigurd feels the consequences for his actions, unlike Corrin, but really, he doesn't. Other than that, he's quite battle-hungry and has a need to take everything into his own hands and solve others problems for them. More Duma than Alm, that's for sure. 

Also, both Arvis and Takumi are hated by many for not liking the "Corrin", and being the only one to really do so. I suppose Eldigan does criticise Sigurd, but he forgives him very quickly, and as they are established childhood friends that is kinda understandable. Sigurd is also handed both Arvis and Deirdre's backstories on a silver plate and does nothing with the information whatsoever; he is well aware they are half siblings and both possess Loptyr blood. 

Alvis never shows any dislike for Sigurd. In fact he openly says its a shame he has to die. He might take a bit too much glee in the whole betrayal and execution, but he never actually displays any hate towards Sigurd. Closest he shows is mild derision when he first shows up in the game, but that's less hate and more just higher expectations. He also calls Sigurd pathetic in Seliph's battle convo with him, but given that he gave Seliph the Tyrfing and even made use of a former subordinate of Sigurd's to do so, it's clear he was just goading Seliph into killing him.

I also maintain that there was zero Sigurd could have done to prevent his fate after setting out in the prologue. He definitely displays some naivete but short of having psychic powers  there's little he could have done to make a difference. He was fighting against a very stacked deck.

28 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Alvis never shows any dislike for Sigurd. In fact he openly says its a shame he has to die. He might take a bit too much glee in the whole betrayal and execution, but he never actually displays any hate towards Sigurd. Closest he shows is mild derision when he first shows up in the game, but that's less hate and more just higher expectations. He also calls Sigurd pathetic in Seliph's battle convo with him, but given that he gave Seliph the Tyrfing and even made use of a former subordinate of Sigurd's to do so, it's clear he was just goading Seliph into killing him.

I also maintain that there was zero Sigurd could have done to prevent his fate after setting out in the prologue. He definitely displays some naivete but short of having psychic powers  there's little he could have done to make a difference. He was fighting against a very stacked deck.

I realised your point about Arvis as soon as I posted it, it's moreso how the fanbase views it rather than the actual in-game dialogue. 

Sigurd could have left Deirdre in the spirit forest. 

4 minutes ago, Fire Brand said:

I realised your point about Arvis as soon as I posted it, it's moreso how the fanbase views it rather than the actual in-game dialogue. 

Sigurd could have left Deirdre in the spirit forest. 

In which case the Lopt sect would have found her, Sigurd still would have been betrayed and killed and Seliph never would have been born. Recall, Sigurd didn't even find her in the Spirit Forest. He found her wandering around outside on her own while the Lopt Sect were in the area actively searching for her. His first meeting with her involves saving her from getting raped by a pair of thugs. It's not irrational at all that he thought she would be safer by his side than wandering around bandit land by herself.

Edited by Jotari

21 minutes ago, Jotari said:

In which case the Lopt sect would have found her, Sigurd still would have been betrayed and killed and Seliph never would have been born. Recall, Sigurd didn't even find her in the Spirit Forest. He found her wandering around outside on her own while the Lopt Sect were in the area actively searching for her. His first meeting with her involves saving her from getting raped by a pair of thugs. It's not irrational at all that he thought she would be safer by his side than wandering around bandit land by herself.

Sigurd would not have been betrayed and killed because Arvis would then have no reason to kill him as he would not be married to Deirdre, and instead him and his army could help to fight off the Loptyr cult. 

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Arvis doesn't hate Sigurd per se but Barhara seems to be driven just as much by Arvis' envy of Sigurd than the greater good. Fear of Deirdra leaving him for Sigurd plays a significent part in the slaughter and parading Deirdre in front of Sigurd likely was meant as some twisted self reasurance that she wouldn't leave him.

53 minutes ago, Fire Brand said:

Sigurd would not have been betrayed and killed because Arvis would then have no reason to kill him as he would not be married to Deirdre, and instead him and his army could help to fight off the Loptyr cult. 

Alvis didn't betray Sigurd because he married Deirdre. He wasn't even sure that Sigurd had until he saw them together. He expressly says that the reason Sigurd had to die is that he knew too much. And unstated but probably just as likely that Sigurd even unmarried would have been a major rival for control of the kingdom if Byron had been revealed to have been loyal all along.

7 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Arvis doesn't hate Sigurd per se but Barhara seems to be driven just as much by Arvis' envy of Sigurd than the greater good. Fear of Deirdra leaving him for Sigurd plays a significent part in the slaughter and parading Deirdre in front of Sigurd likely was meant as some twisted self reasurance that she wouldn't leave him.

I don't necessarily disagree with this. He takes a lot of glee in the betrayal. But it's not really the same way Takumi has an intense dislike of Corrin. It's more circumstantial than personal. Hatred of Sigurd is not a defining trait of Alvis's character. In fact in one of their two meetings he speaks very friendly with Sigurd.

Edited by Jotari

36 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Alvis didn't betray Sigurd because he married Deirdre. He wasn't even sure that Sigurd had until he saw them together. He expressly says that the reason Sigurd had to die is that he knew too much. And unstated but probably just as likely that Sigurd even unmarried would have been a major rival for control of the kingdom if Byron had been revealed to have been loyal all along.

I don't necessarily disagree with this. He takes a lot of glee in the betrayal. But it's not really the same way Takumi has an intense dislike of Corrin. It's more circumstantial than personal. Hatred of Sigurd is not a defining trait of Alvis's character. In fact in one of their two meetings he speaks very friendly with Sigurd.

Sigurd "knowing too much" I interpreted as an excuse more than anything. And as for him being a rival, how would he be? Arvis is married to the king's granddaughter, while he is just another noble. And I never got the impression Sigurd wanted to rule a kingdom anyway; he seems more of a knight/warrior. 

20 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

As for other characters I dislike, I’m just gonna say Camilla(kind of) simply because I just hate how the devs treat her less like an actual character and more like something to wank to because what little we do get of her actual character is incredibly interesting. It’s a shame the devs care more about shoving titties into our face than expanding on her actual character.

Sadly, as we can see from CYL 3, that is probably the only reason fates sold so many copies.

Time to brutally talk down more peeps! Ooray!

Claude, for being incredibly annoying in FEH. 

Edelgard, for being a totalitarian dictator. (Okay, not really, but I think we've had plety of discussion about this stuff, and the point is that I dislike her.)

Nina, for being a perverted stalker.

Niles, for getting FE as close as possible to 18+ age rating.

I also have a very vague dislike for Mist. Shocking, I know. It doesn't really have much to do with her character, it's mostly that she's randomly got special powers and can sorta sing Galdrar? And she also can't marry Rolf, but that's my own personal idiocy. There's just always been something that's bothered me about her, which is weird, since she is simultaneously one of my favourites also.

The main difference between Sigurd and Corrin is that Sigurd deconstruct Corrin. I mean deconstruction as in "what happen realistically to a character like that". Realistically, they get killed for their own naivety. Instead Corrin get to win the war and live happily ever after, even in the route where they decided that being a Camus was a good idea. 

1 hour ago, Benice said:

I also have a very vague dislike for Mist. Shocking, I know. It doesn't really have much to do with her character, it's mostly that she's randomly got special powers and can sorta sing Galdrar? And she also can't marry Rolf, but that's my own personal idiocy. There's just always been something that's bothered me about her, which is weird, since she is simultaneously one of my favourites also.

She can’t sing Galdr though; she knows the Galdr of Release, but only because their mother sang it to them, and her singing it has no effect (otherwise, Yune would’ve been freed long before the events of the games). Her only “special power” is that her internal balance is strong enough that she can resist the effects of Lehran’s Medallion, and that’s more of a useful personality quirk than a special power. She’s just a regular Beorc with a useful personality quirk.

I agree about the her-not-marrying-Rolf bit, but that’s a problem with the story writers; not with her.