Who is you least liked or most hated FE characters

ciphertul

4 hours ago, Fire Brand said:

Sigurd "knowing too much" I interpreted as an excuse more than anything. And as for him being a rival, how would he be? Arvis is married to the king's granddaughter, while he is just another noble. And I never got the impression Sigurd wanted to rule a kingdom anyway; he seems more of a knight/warrior. 

Knowing too much couldn't be an excuse as Alvis had absolutely no way of knowing Sigurd was previously married to Deirdre. We don't even see anything on screen suggesting he suspected it. And while Sigurd might not have wanted to rule the kingdom,  he was the son of Kurth and Azmur's most trusted adviser, and as such would whole a massive amount of sway if Byron was proved to have not been a rebel. Though that's speculation. The only thing the game directly confirms is that "it's regretful Sigurd must die but he knows too much".

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Knowing too much couldn't be an excuse as Alvis had absolutely no way of knowing Sigurd was previously married to Deirdre. We don't even see anything on screen suggesting he suspected it. And while Sigurd might not have wanted to rule the kingdom,  he was the son of Kurth and Azmur's most trusted adviser, and as such would whole a massive amount of sway if Byron was proved to have not been a rebel. Though that's speculation. The only thing the game directly confirms is that "it's regretful Sigurd must die but he knows too much".

It's implied that Manfroy had been suggesting to him that it was a possibility, and why else would he be so worried about Deirdre regaining her memories?

Though I will agree with you that is it is vague. I guess that's one thing I like about Arvis' character: so much is up to interpretation. 

6 minutes ago, Fire Brand said:

It's implied that Manfroy had been suggesting to him that it was a possibility, and why else would he be so worried about Deirdre regaining her memories?

Though I will agree with you that is it is vague. I guess that's one thing I like about Arvis' character: so much is up to interpretation. 

You have any quotes to back up that suggestion of suggestion?

57 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

The main difference between Sigurd and Corrin is that Sigurd deconstruct Corrin. I mean deconstruction as in "what happen realistically to a character like that". Realistically, they get killed for their own naivety. Instead Corrin get to win the war and live happily ever after, even in the route where they decided that being a Camus was a good idea. 

Personally I'd say Michy is the character that deconstructs Corrin since they both feel forced to do questionable things and resolve to carry that burden for the greater good. 

I wouldn't say Sigurd is particularly naive. Yeah Granvelle is more shady than most countries the lord hails from, but Sigurd never really does what he does because he believes Granvellian propaganda. Its usually because his cartoonishly evil enemies attack first and leave him no other option.

16 minutes ago, Jotari said:

You have any quotes to back up that suggestion of suggestion?

There's a lack of Project Naga script dump unfortunately, but from what I remember:

"Your future with Deirdre, that is! You're terrified, aren't you? That her memories may return..."

Something along those lines. 

14 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Personally I'd say Michy is the character that deconstructs Corrin since they both feel forced to do questionable things and resolve to carry that burden for the greater good. 

I wouldn't say Sigurd is particularly naive. Yeah Granvelle is more shady than most countries the lord hails from, but Sigurd never really does what he does because he believes Granvellian propaganda. Its usually because his cartoonishly evil enemies attack first and leave him no other option.

Ehhhh... He could have used Shannan as a bargaining chip to end the war immediately, thus saving hundreds and bringing the war to an abrupt end. Micaiah, unlike Corrin, is frequently called out for her actions, and isn't really worshipped outside of Sothe and maybe Zelgius. 

3 minutes ago, Fire Brand said:

Ehhhh... He could have used Shannan as a bargaining chip to end the war immediately, thus saving hundreds and bringing the war to an abrupt end. Micaiah, unlike Corrin, is frequently called out for her actions, and isn't really worshipped outside of Sothe and maybe Zelgius. 

He could use Shannan as a hostage but taking little kids hostage isn't very knightly. The war in Isaac also isn't exactly a war Sigurd himself engages in nor is it one Granvelle ever stood to loose anyway

Michy does get called out a lot. Sothe constantly shares his doubts and Ike outright calls her crazy. That's partly why I believe her to be a deconstruction. She gets treated as how a character like Corrin and her should get logically treated, people questing them, people not getting it and people calling her crazy. Unlike Corrin the game pretty firmly states that Michy is in the wrong even if she's understandable. 

16 minutes ago, Fire Brand said:

How would using Shannan as a bargaining chip help him against Granvale? He's not important for the Granvale Empire considering Isaac is under their control. 

24 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

How would using Shannan as a bargaining chip help him against Granvale? He's not important for the Granvale Empire considering Isaac is under their control. 

No, but he's important for Isaach. Grannvale had no conflict with him at that point. 

· Jakob. I hate his fake accent and prick personality (if that can be called personality at all), and am not particularly fond of this design. As a unit, he is also heavily overrated. A "good Jakob" actually translates to "an early re-classed (multiple times) Jakob who is also married to Cornflakes with the sole purpose of benefiting from her talent in the first chapters and being a backpack from mid-game onwards." Oh, come on! Conquest is not that difficult to justify such specific builds.
Thank God that he always decides to commit suicide before Chapter 6.

· Dorothea. God, I hate the girl with the stripper hat. Her appearance in general, her manners, her voice and tone, and her hat in particular are repulsive to me. I cannot even explain exactly why. It just shocks me, since the first time I saw her. Yeah, hate at first sight. It exists now.
She alone is reason enough to never play Black Eagles (Bernardetta would be a solid second reason; but as stupid as she may be, I still do not find her repulsive.)

I also very much dislike Camilla, but not for her design, mind you, which I find distasteful but somewhat "expected" in a series full of anime. It is her "personality" and voice what trouble me. It is as if the parts do not match the whole of herself.
Then comes Mercedes's voice! Fuck, it is awful! It is so fake and annoying that it does not let me see anything positive in her. It makes me kill her as soon as possible. Every time.

20 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

One-note villains who get way more screen-time than they deserve: Iago, Hans, Slayde, etc. These guys are a blight: taking precious time away from antagonists who could actually be interesting or competent while providing nothing of value as they just keep sticking around. These guys would be fine as minor villains to be dealt with quickly. The problem isn't that they're less competent than they think they are; villains like that can have appeal (just see Envy from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood); the problem is that they're just not interesting. There's nothing they add by lasting longer. 

To be fair, Slayde was just a miniboss in the original Gaiden, and killing him causes Desaix to retreat. If you manage to defeat Desaix at Zofia Castle, Slayde is the one that gives the infamous "you defeated Lord Desaix's double!" quote and swears revenge while retreating, despite never appearing again. IS saw an easy way to get around that little issue by making him a minor recurring character, and giving Slayde a cowardly personality would ensure that no one would bat an eye that he would retreat regardless of how the player beats the level. It helps that Slayde isn't the boss of the Last Battalion level, just a miniboss  (or he replaced a generic Gold Knight. I have a hard time finding anything that confirms this), so his promotion isn't as egregious as it could have been.

On a side note, I found out he has the same voice actor as Yarne (and one of Robin's voices). Make of that what you will.

19 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Back to the topic, I dislike Wrys in Shadow Dragon for being basically useless even before the player gets Lena.

3ntfpq.png?width=457&height=670

And while I'm at it:

3ntg0a.png?width=457&height=670

On a serious note, though, I love to ironman Shadow Dragon, and Wrys is a great back-up healer in case one of my other healers dies, or as a main healer when Wendell is busy (or dead). Rickard and Julian also mean I can steal twice as much stuff in half the time.

As for the topic... honestly the only other character than I can think of that I downright hate is Charlotte, but that's because I hate people like that in real life, and no amount of good writing would change that.

I'm not a fan of Tharja, since she's less accurate than I'd like as a unit. As a character, though, she has some good moments and a number of bad ones, so it tends to even out, even if I lean towards dislike. I don't mind Nowi's personality that much as I understand why she acts the way she does (even if I think she's okay as a character. I can see why others like or hate her) but good lord her costume should have never left the concept art phase, and they should have burned the concept art. She, along with Panne and Yarne, are the main reason that I wish Awakening had costume DLC to give them pants (even if I am thankful that game otherwise had quality DLC).

24 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

And while I'm at it:

On a serious note, though, I love to ironman Shadow Dragon, and Wrys is a great back-up healer in case one of my other healers dies, or as a main healer when Wendell is busy (or dead). Rickard and Julian also mean I can steal twice as much stuff in half the time.

I love this because I am a SpongeBob SquarePants fan and I know exactly which episode this is that you're using. 😂😂

Yeah; I sometimes use Rickard as well, but only for thieving, and only when there's a lot of treasure. 

23 hours ago, Pengaius said:

Yarharharharhar, Holmes me boy, if ye don't shut up ye'll get a pincer upside the head. 

Untitled22_20200130233151.png

This is art. Also beautifully off-topic art. Unless you argue that you hate Eugen, but you don't hate Eugen. One simply can't hate Eugen. You're just jealous because he's a badass and Arkis is just an ass.

Yes, you may take this as a challenge to write up a post on why you hate Eugen. If you succeed, I shall reward you by doing the same with Arkis.

34 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

What's with all the Spongebob His memes are superior, too. Mainly because Lena has no meme potential. The closest thing she has to a meme is getting killed by her brother, and, well, that meme belongs to her brother, not her.

57 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one, though. Marth needs no help with the treasure. Not from Julian, not from Rickard.

Anyway, on topic. Bernadetta. Boring pick, but yeah. This character seemed so one-note, pandering and devoid of any substance, that hating her just felt natural. I say "seemed", because I haven't bothered to look into her supports or anything. She looks like protecc bait, so I reacted the only reasonable way: by taking delight in murdering her. I doubt there's more to her, but frankly, I don't care to find out.

Sothis. I haven't played the 3DS titles outside of Echoes, so this was my first brush with the more modern iteration of the "thousand year old loli waifu" nonsense. As such, I am used to more tasteful renditions of the trope, such as Tiki.

In all honesty, I have to say, the "better than Fates" excuse really can only take you so far. Sothis may not be Nowi, but that doesn't make her great. She seems designed to appeal to about four different fetishes at once. And hey, all the power to ya if you dig that stuff, but personally, if I wanted to satisfy my sexual needs, I wouldn't play Fire Emblem, I'd go watch videos of a questionable nature on the internet. Or, you know, get a girlfriend. Hah! As if.

Ahem. Other than that, she doesn't really serve much of a purpose. She pops up a few times, says nothing of note, and then she disappears after tempting the lolicons some more with that near kiss scene. The idea of her does more than she does. What's up with that?

Also, you can marry her. Leaving aside all the obvious gripes one may have with that, there's the more straight-forward problem: she faded away halfway through the school phase. How do the writers solve that? Well... she just respawns. For no reason. Joy.

45 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Anyway, on topic. Bernadetta. Boring pick, but yeah. This character seemed so one-note, pandering and devoid of any substance, that hating her just felt natural. I say "seemed", because I haven't bothered to look into her supports or anything. She looks like protecc bait, so I reacted the only reasonable way: by taking delight in murdering her. I doubt there's more to her, but frankly, I don't care to find out.

She has so much more to her than just her one gimmick of being overly shy, and she also has a very good reason why she behaves the way she does (all the Crimson Flower students have very good reasons for their different issues). You really are missing out. 

Wait; did you say you killed her? You monster; you're worse than her dad (and there's your one hint as to why she behaves the way that she does). 

Ninian: I utterly despise her. I despise damsel in distress trope. Even Azura who is boring and was inspired on Ninian can be more badass, and this says a lot. And Azura doesn't flirt with Corrin all game. Not to mention how bad are the implications if Ninian stays in Elibe, dying and letting her son orphan, seriously? Her dying and going back to life like a Disney Princess is eye rolling cringey. Everything about her is bad. I refuse to pair her with Eliwood, go back to your dimension, bye Ninian. 

Takumi: I wish i liked him because he calls Corrin out on her bs, but he is just so unlikeable. I hate his design too, his hair and bangs are just ugly imo

Jakob: He is a horrible person , he  fawns over Corrin and is rude to  everyone else. People who are nice to boss but rude to colleagues are detestable. He is also particularly a horrible father even considering the amount of bad parents in that game. 

Colm: Neimi can do so much better. He is rude and he sucks in every aspect, I hate that him and Neimi are a pushed couple to show supports, who thought it was a good idea? 

Honourable mention:

Deirdre: Eh, she is dumb and I hate her romance with Sigurd. She is passive all the time time and her main role is men fighting for her, and giving birth to children. At least she saved Julia, which is the only thing she did that is worth. I just don't hate her and Sigurd because it's propositally stupid, showing how Disney like romances and naive behaviour is stupid, but I can't understand why anyone would like them to be together unironically.

Tharja: she is comically evil/messed but I'm just pissed that some people justify child abuse or look over it because she is hot. I don't hate her at all cause I get her gimmick and can laugh at some of her supports though. 

There's some more characters that I'm not a fan or that I don't understand the popularity but those are the only ones I really dislike.

Edited by Mylady

10 hours ago, Fire Brand said:

Ah. I see the line now. Right after Alvis says it's a shame Sigurd has to die.

Raydrik and the entire Loptian clan come in mind.

What they did to gain power was bararism to its extend to the "weakest" groups of the society.

I usually do not despise villains, but mentioned ones and the guy from Awakening (Valdar or what his name was) had horrific or even no motivations for their inquities.

Edited by Falcom Knight

• Lyn - Probably the most boring lord in the entire series, not even sure what her purpose is in FE7 other than having Lyn Mode for a glorified tutorial (even then the plot of Lyn mode is so random, Lyn wants to talk to her long-lost grandfather but a bunch of people are trying to stop her and Count Caelin from meeting). She barely contributes in Eliwood/Hector mode outside the occasional bicker with Hector (which isn't even story relevant). She gets a lot of love which I find a bit strange since she's barely present in FE7 (and isn't even a great unit honestly, which quite a few people will argue against considering we had the whole Lyn vs. Marcus debate a while back, and I remember seeing a tier list than ranked her above Fiora/Heath/Farina) and feels like they just wanted to squeeze in Sacae representation somehow.
  • Corrin/Kris - Both shoehorned protagonists in their respective games. Kris was dumb because they basically kept the story in Book 2 FE3 the same, just replaced some parts of the story with "Marth/Jagen did x/y/z" with "Kris did x/y/z" and then added the whole Katarina arc (which I did find sorta interesting tbf). Corrin is just dumb and gets bailed out by his "siblings" and Azura like 90% of the story, but yet the siblings still entrust Corrin with some pretty big decisions. Not to mention how the game goes out of its way to make everyone playable love Corrin (they really gotta make Takumi in CQ forgive Corrin, even though Takumi literally has 0 reason to do so)
  • Bernadetta - Used to be neutral to her, but as I got to like CF route (used her twice prior in AM and SS) I found her progressively more annoying. Even in CF route where she does improve, she's basically the same person in my eyes (considering her supports are the exact same), she just comes out of her room a lot more often in the route. The amount of screaming and whining the character has in the supports annoys me, and the amount of "must protecc" posts makes me eye roll. Probably has the worst S support conversation in my eyes (Cyril you're safe) since any sort of character development she had with Byleth gets flushed down the drain (though TreeHouse is to blame for it since the Japanese one is vastly different).
  • Azama - Basically the type of person that would annoy me irl, due to his nature on how he finds joy in getting under people's skin.
Edited by Lunarly

14 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

She has so much more to her than just her one gimmick of being overly shy, and she also has a very good reason why she behaves the way she does (all the Crimson Flower students have very good reasons for their different issues). You really are missing out. 

Wait; did you say you killed her? You monster; you're worse than her dad (and there's your one hint as to why she behaves the way that she does).

Oh, I know about her sob story. Doesn't really change anything, for me. It explains her behavior, I guess, but it does not excuse the fact that, for the most part, it's played for laughs and for protecc bait. Also, sob story be damned, she's still as plain a character as they get. As far as I know, all of her supports start the same way and end the same way. She could have a single chain and it wouldn't make a difference. Once again, maybe I'm wrong, but then there's the fact that, on a subjective level, she's just not the kind of character that I enjoy at all. I'm afraid I don't want to waste my time scourging through supports and character analysis to find any substance in a character I don't even like.

Still, if you like her, that's perfectly fine. I can understand her appeal. I just personally find people like Marianne and Gilbert (to mention a couple of examples from the same game) to be more mature takes on the whole "crippling social ineptitude" topic.

Anyhow, it's back to the topic time. Being the insufferable KagaSaga fan that I am, I could not pass up on the chance to talk about the character from Kaga's post-FE works that I despise the most. Here he is:

Volcens. Of all the characters I've talked about in this thread, this is the first that was written purposely to be as hateable as possible. I've tried to avoid these guys so far, because, well, being hated is kind of their point, but with this one they succeeded so thoroughly that I cannot ignore him.  I won't go into too much detail because the Berwick Saga translation is very new (it's only just now being finished, in fact) and I want to avoid heavy spoilers, but I still want to talk about him.

King Volcens of Veria is the worst ruler I have seen in anything in a long time. This dude would singlehandedly lose the war for himself by making the worst possible decisions, if he didn't have a plethora of great men and women around him to fix his messes for him. Seriously, this imbecile makes so many wrong choices that it's a wonder he's able to successfully button up his cape every morning.

Among his many, many flaws, Volcens considers everyone who serves him competently to be a threat because he's an envious brat, he refuses to help capable commanders struggling on the battlefield because he's an egocentric coward who cannot be arsed to help anybody but himself, he allows his personal biases and petty contempt to control his judgment, he dismisses Reese (the game's protagonist) as a backwater hillbilly even after he's proven he's ten times the man Volcens is ten times over, and - perhaps most egregious of all - he goes out of his way to screw over the people he hates/fears even when it's directly detrimental to his country in the ongoing war.

Oh, and by the way? He does all of these things, all of them, in the first four chapters of the game. Out of fifteen. Admittedly, Berwick chapters don't work like FE chapters (each "chapter" holds two-three maps), but still. All of that, in less than a third of the game. It's kind of impressive, in a way.

In summary, Volcens is a selfish, arrogant, jealous, condescending, antagonistic, petty, dumb manchild who was handed a crown and told to do whatever he wanted. In other words, an extremely dangerous person.

Of course, none of this makes him a badly-written character. In fact, I'd argue he's an excellent character, because he serves his purpose in flying colors. He was meant to be the worst thing ever, and by God is he the worst thing ever.

Again, I could say so much more, but since I don't want to delve into spoiler territory, this'll have to do. Grab the game and play it for yourselves, and you'll see just how deep this man's stupidity runs.

Hate:

• Celica in Part 4 - Conrad already saved her bacon from Jedah once, like "WTF is wrong with you?" Then she has her entire army march to the Tower of Doom-a, implying to them that they're going to beat up some baddies, and then offers her soul up to an evil god while all of her companions are like 'you're being crazy bitch'. Celica's like, 'Nah, this Jedah guy seems pretty trustworthy.' And then Alm has to save her ass, because the Queen of half the damn continent decided to just throw her life away.

• Ashe - I don't even know what to say about this stupid, wimpy little kid. He seems like the type who would give a homeless person his new iPhone because he felt bad for them. 'He pinky swore he wouldn't pawn it to buy drugs!'

Dislike:

• Effie - 'I AM STRONG WOMAN!' Lame trope, come on IS.

• Clive - Only makes Alm the leader of the deliverance because he couldn't relate to his own soldiers. Doesn't have much respect for Alm, and only takes him seriously once he sees him wield the Royal Sword. Fernand also makes him look like a bitch.
Edited by AyraXLex

Fucking Kris dude, how people could pity party or stan this avatar is beyond me. Literally more bland and bad than any avatar with no interesting weapon, design or character.

Ryoma: this dude is such a fucking bitch. The entire point of even coming to Hoshido is to be with your ""real family"" (the fact that he thinks corrin's siblings that she grew up with aren't real family is bullshit and wrong enough) but the biggest thing that's wrong with this fucker is that he knows ALL ALONG that Corrin isn't even their REAL FAMILY. God I fucking hate the mikoto letter. Just don't let people fuck their siblings and be done with it.

Xander: He's not as bad as Ryoma but my god is he pretty bad, the dude is so goddamn oblivious to everything going on around him, and I don't wanna hear any Camus archetype bullshit, when you're the Crown Prince, you aren't bEtRaYiNg YoUr FaThErLaNd, you're doing what you think is best for your country... and it takes until Garon literally says "I MUST DESTROY NOHR" that Xander knows something is up. As for Conquest and Birthright, in conquest all he does is jerk off Corrin and in Birthright all he does is waste Elise's sacrifice and decide to be a bitch and fight Corrin anyway. ALSO HE FUCKING EMPLOYS PERI. WHAT THE FUCK.

Ephraim: this dude is such a fucking mary sue it's insane. Imagine Hector but somehow worse. He's just such a dumbass with no regard for the safety of his soldiers judging by that stupid fucking 3 man siege. And the fact that Orson didn't just go ahead and kill him, the fact that Valter didn't just one shot him, is all some bullshit. There's no way he should've escaped alive. And there's even less of a way he should've been able to keep all of his weapons into the next chapter he joins in. just a shitty written character that takes away from Eirika.

The FE7 lords: This is more of an fe7 thing considering I hate that game but I just really cannot stand any of these guys. Prologue Lyn is alright but after that, she's pretty garbage. Eliwood is bread. He's really just a worse Roy that kills his wife so all of a sudden I am supposed to feel bad. As for Hector, he's just annoying. not much else to that.

Cordelia: she is popular why??? Don't care for her design or bland personality. Catria has unrequited love while being cute and the best unit in FE3/12. Cordelia may be good but she's in Awakening so it doesn't matter, and her supports just aren't interesting. Like with the FE7 lords though, I'm probably just really biased against this game

Here are some that really bugged me.

Xander-"Let me blindly follow my evil and goopy dad!" I really hate how, even when his actions kill his little sister, who he supposedly cares about, he doesn't change.

Hans-A bandit who somehow managed to get himself promoted to a secondary villain. Lacks any charisma or intimidation factor to justify a role more than "show up in one level, get killed".

Iago-A poorly written antagonist who has no real reason to hate Corrin, but spends his entire life trying to kill them.

Soleil-Because sexual harassment is funny.

Sylvain-He has a tragic past, true, but that doesn't absolve him from being a jackass to the women he dates.

Leonie- "You really don't appreciate Jeralt enough. Now, let me tell you how much I want to bone your dad".

Cyril-He's bland. And his main character trait is wanting to bone Rhea. Would anyone really care if he was removed from the game?

18 minutes ago, CyberController said:

Here are some that really bugged me.

Xander-"Let me blindly follow my evil and goopy dad!" I really hate how, even when his actions kill his little sister, who he supposedly cares about, he doesn't change.

Hans-A bandit who somehow managed to get himself promoted to a secondary villain. Lacks any charisma or intimidation factor to justify a role more than "show up in one level, get killed".

Iago-A poorly written antagonist who has no real reason to hate Corrin, but spends his entire life trying to kill them.

Soleil-Because sexual harassment is funny.

Sylvain-He has a tragic past, true, but that doesn't absolve him from being a jackass to the women he dates.

Leonie- "You really don't appreciate Jeralt enough. Now, let me tell you how much I want to bone your dad".

Cyril-He's bland. And his main character trait is wanting to bone Rhea. Would anyone really care if he was removed from the game?

On the topic of Iago and Hans, I've only now recently discovered another reason as to why I consider Iago and Hans to be some of the worst villains in the entire franchise...THEY GET WAY TOO MUCH SCREENTIME!

As a general rule of thumb, I tend to dislike one note villains who get way more screen time than they deserve at the expense of other more potentially interesting villains (not that Fates has any good villains mind you, they all suck, but my point still stands). Like Surtr for example; all of the other Book 2 villains (Laegjarn, Laevataein, Helbindi) are way more interesting characters than Surtr, who's literally just Alola Garon, and Garon's already really shit. And for the record, I'm not saying cartoonish villains can't work in Fire Emblem, they totally can. Take Narcian for example; he is very much a cartoonish villain like Iago and Hans, but what makes him work is that they do use his screen time well in showing him to be absolutely terrible at his job despite his high position in Bern's army, which even results in him losing his job to Gale. They also off him at about the halfway point of Binding Blade's story, so he never really overstays his welcome. Iago and Hans, on the other hand, overstay their welcome very quickly, and they're not even that interesting or fun to watch like Narcian. There's literally no value in having them last as long as they do.

In short, they'd be fine as minor villains to be dealt with quickly, not major villains with screen time lasting the entire fucking game. In fact, if there's one thing I'll give Revelation credit for, it's shooing out the major villains from the other routes early so we can make room for Valla. Rev is still garbage mind you, but credit where it's due.

Just now, Gregster101 said:

On the topic of Iago and Hans, I've only now recently discovered another reason as to why I consider Iago and Hans to be some of the worst villains in the entire franchise...THEY GET WAY TOO MUCH SCREENTIME!

As a general rule of thumb, I tend to dislike one note villains who get way more screen time than they deserve at the expense of other more potentially interesting villains (not that Fates has any good villains mind you, they all suck, but my point still stands). Like Surtr for example; all of the other Book 2 villains (Laegjarn, Laevataein, Helbindi) are way more interesting characters than Surtr, who's literally just Alola Garon, and Garon's already really shit. And for the record, I'm not saying cartoonish villains can't work in Fire Emblem, they totally can. Take Narcian for example; he is very much a cartoonish villain like Iago and Hans, but what makes him work is that they do use his screen time well in showing him to be absolutely terrible at his job despite his high position in Bern's army, which even results in him losing his job to Gale. They also off him at about the halfway point of Binding Blade's story, so he never really overstays his welcome. Iago and Hans, on the other hand, overstay their welcome very quickly, and they're not even that interesting or fun to watch like Narcian. There's literally no value in having them last as long as they do.

In short, they'd be fine as minor villains to be dealt with quickly, not major villains with screen time lasting the entire fucking game. In fact, if there's one thing I'll give Revelation credit for, it's shooing out the major villains from the other routes early so we can make room for Valla. Rev is still garbage mind you, but credit where it's due.

Yeah. I kinda wanted to kill them, not because they were evil, but because they were annoying me.

5 minutes ago, CyberController said:

Yeah. I kinda wanted to kill them, not because they were evil, but because they were annoying me.

Pretty much yeah. They're not even of the love to hate variety like Narcian or Kempf, they're just annoying at the end of the day.