Who is you least liked or most hated FE characters

ciphertul

6 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

On the topic of Iago and Hans, I've only now recently discovered another reason as to why I consider Iago and Hans to be some of the worst villains in the entire franchise...THEY GET WAY TOO MUCH SCREENTIME!

As a general rule of thumb, I tend to dislike one note villains who get way more screen time than they deserve at the expense of other more potentially interesting villains (not that Fates has any good villains mind you, they all suck, but my point still stands). Like Surtr for example; all of the other Book 2 villains (Laegjarn, Laevataein, Helbindi) are way more interesting characters than Surtr, who's literally just Alola Garon, and Garon's already really shit. And for the record, I'm not saying cartoonish villains can't work in Fire Emblem, they totally can. Take Narcian for example; he is very much a cartoonish villain like Iago and Hans, but what makes him work is that they do use his screen time well in showing him to be absolutely terrible at his job despite his high position in Bern's army, which even results in him losing his job to Gale. They also off him at about the halfway point of Binding Blade's story, so he never really overstays his welcome. Iago and Hans, on the other hand, overstay their welcome very quickly, and they're not even that interesting or fun to watch like Narcian. There's literally no value in having them last as long as they do.

In short, they'd be fine as minor villains to be dealt with quickly, not major villains with screen time lasting the entire fucking game. In fact, if there's one thing I'll give Revelation credit for, it's shooing out the major villains from the other routes early so we can make room for Valla. Rev is still garbage mind you, but credit where it's due.

The problem with Iago and Hans isn't so much their surplus of screentime it's the fact that don't do anything with it. Of the two, Only Iago really has any kind of relevance or thematic weight and barely at that. Anankos and Garon are better villains by being villains that have some kind narrative weight. It's not much and not handled as well as it could be but at the very least they hold more weight to the story than Iago and Hans. Say what you will about Surtr but at the very least he has weight in the narrative and drives the plot forward. Ultimately that weight doesn't mean much but it's something at least which is more than what I can say about Iago or Hans. Hans in particular is just why?! Why does this man exist?! Iago can maybe stay but Hans just needs to be removed from the story because he doesn't add anything!!

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

The problem with Iago and Hans isn't so much their surplus of screentime it's the fact that don't do anything with it. Of the two, Only Iago really has any kind of relevance or thematic weight and barely at that. Anankos and Garon are better villains by being villains that have some kind narrative weight. It's not much and not handled as well as it could be but at the very least they hold more weight to the story than Iago and Hans. Say what you will about Surtr but at the very least he has weight in the narrative and drives the plot forward. Ultimately that weight doesn't mean much but it's something at least which is more than what I can say about Iago or Hans. Hans in particular is just why?! Why does this man exist?! Iago can maybe stay but Hans just needs to be removed from the story because he doesn't add anything!!

You do realize Garon and Anankos are also shit right? Garon for being such a massive case of wasted potential for an interesting and compelling villain, and Anankos for the fact that his mere existence literally invalidates both Birthright and Conquest (as well as the fact that his backstory is locked behind a paywall).

18 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

You do realize Garon and Anankos are also shit right? Garon for being such a massive case of wasted potential for an interesting and compelling villain, and Anankos for the fact that his mere existence literally invalidates both Birthright and Conquest (as well as the fact that his backstory is locked behind a paywall).

Ehh I'd argue the opposite. Garon is a fair argument(even then I'd argue him being a shitty villain is kind of the point) but anankos, I'd argue, does not invalidate fates at all. Well okay he does be he does it in a way that makes sense. Like the thing about Birthright and conquest is that they are by and large the 'incorrect" choice both of them. Choosing to side with Hoshido or Nohr reveals contradictions in Corrin's character inherent to that path which the story exploits to a degree. When you look at fate's story as a whole, it's a story about trust and betrayal. Corrin must choose whether or not to trust Nohr or Hoshido but doing either leads her down the incorrect path. It's only when she trusts herself and her own judgment that she is able to discover the truth hidden beneath the water's surface. I could go on  but I don't feel like writing another 27 page essay on the matter

Edited by Ottservia

18 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Ehh I'd argue the opposite. Garon is a fair argument(even then I'd argue him being a shitty villain is kind of the point) but anankos, I'd argue, does not invalidate fates at all. Well okay he does be he does it in a way that makes sense. Like the thing about Birthright and conquest is that they are by and large the 'incorrect" choice both of them. Choosing to side with Hoshido or Nohr reveals contradictions in Corrin's character inherent to that path which the story exploits to a degree. When you look at fate's story as a whole, it's a story about trust and betrayal. Corrin must choose whether or not to trust Nohr or Hoshido but doing either leads her down the incorrect path. It's only when she trusts herself and her own judgment that she is able to discover the truth hidden beneath the water's surface. I could go on  but I don't feel like writing another 27 page essay on the matter

Dude, Anankos and the Revelation path totally invalidates the whole point of the game. Will you side with your adopted family from Nohr and invade Hoshido, or will you side with your blood family from Hoshido and put an end to Garon's invasion? Well, in the end, that doesn't mean a goddamn thing cuz Revelation has Corrin side with neither family and eventually unites them in taking down Anankos, who's revealed to be the one responsible for the entire conflict as well as the one controlling Garon, along with the reveal that Corrin isn't blood related to the Hoshido royal family either, making the entire concept of the game entirely worthless.

Edited by Gregster101

3 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

Dude, Anankos and the Revelation path totally invalidates the whole point of the game. Will you side with your adopted family from Nohr and invade Hoshido, or will you side with your blood family from Hoshido and put an end to Garon's invasion. Well, in the end, that doesn't mean a goddamn thing cuz Revelation has Corrin side with neither family and eventually unites them in taking down Anankos, who's revealed to be the one responsible for the entire conflict as well as the one controlling Garon, along with the reveal that Corrin isn't blood related to the Hoshido royal family either, making the entire concept of the game entirely worthless.

okay but lemme ask you this. what is the deeper meaning behind that whole blood vs bond debate? How are each set of siblings affected by Corrin's choice? What happens as a result? and how does the story progress further in a way that builds off of that core conflict? What is the overall message that is born from the resolution of the conflict? and how is that message conveyed by the story and learned by the characters? The answer to that is trust and deception. Anankos and Garon decieve the world into holding biases against each other. Both sides of the conflict are blinded by Anankos's deception which is why the war is happening in the first place. They only look at the surface of the issue without prodding deeper which results in a blind bias by both parties. Hoshido blames nohr for everything and sees them as nothing but evil but if you take the time to look past the militant surface of their generals to the citizens below the streets, you'll find they are a pretty peaceful and happy bunch that are suffering from lack of resources and try to do the best with what they have. Nohr dislikes Hoshido for being generally selfish and not sharing(at least that's the implied reason) so they decide to conquer instead. Both sides are very quick to blame the other for foul play and treachery when in reality neither side is to really blame here. Hoshido is selfish because they don't like Nohr and Nohr doesn't like Hoshido because they are selfish. It's an endless cycle born from Anankos's deception to which Corrin is able to see beyond in revelation because she is able to move past her biases in order to look at the objective truth of the situation. Chapter 13 of revelation explains this pretty explicitly.

8 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

okay but lemme ask you this. what is the deeper meaning behind that whole blood vs bond debate? How are each set of siblings affected by Corrin's choice? What happens as a result? and how does the story progress further in a way that builds off of that core conflict? What is the overall message that is born from the resolution of the conflict? and how is that message conveyed by the story and learned by the characters? The answer to that is trust and deception. Anankos and Garon decieve the world into holding biases against each other. Both sides of the conflict are blinded by Anankos's deception which is why the war is happening in the first place. They only look at the surface of the issue without prodding deeper which results in a blind bias by both parties. Hoshido blames nohr for everything and sees them as nothing but evil but if you take the time to look past the militant surface of their generals to the citizens below the streets, you'll find they are a pretty peaceful and happy bunch that are suffering from lack of resources and try to do the best with what they have. Nohr dislikes Hoshido for being generally selfish and not sharing(at least that's the implied reason) so they decide to conquer instead. Both sides are very quick to blame the other for foul play and treachery when in reality neither side is to really blame here. Hoshido is selfish because they don't like Nohr and Nohr doesn't like Hoshido because they are selfish. It's an endless cycle born from Anankos's deception to which Corrin is able to see beyond in revelation because she is able to move past her biases in order to look at the objective truth of the situation. Chapter 13 of revelation explains this pretty explicitly.

That doesn't make it good story telling though.

Page 9 is a damn strong argument to close this thread outright.

Or I can just hand out a bunch of warnings that say "tone it the fuck down, these are video game characters".

On 2/4/2020 at 8:56 PM, AyraXLex said:

Hate:

• Celica in Part 4 - Conrad already saved her bacon from Jedah once, like "*** is wrong with you?" Then she has her entire army march to the Tower of Doom-a, implying to them that they're going to beat up some baddies, and then offers her soul up to an evil god while all of her companions are like 'you're being crazy *****'. Celica's like, 'Nah, this Jedah guy seems pretty trustworthy.' And then Alm has to save her ***, because the Queen of half the **** continent decided to just throw her life away.

• Ashe - I don't even know what to say about this stupid, wimpy little kid. He seems like the type who would give a homeless person his new iPhone because he felt bad for them. 'He pinky swore he wouldn't pawn it to buy drugs!'

Dislike:

• Effie - 'I AM STRONG WOMAN!' Lame trope, come on IS.

• Clive - Only makes Alm the leader of the deliverance because he couldn't relate to his own soldiers. Doesn't have much respect for Alm, and only takes him seriously once he sees him wield the Royal Sword. Fernand also makes him look like a *****.

Words cannot describe what you have done. If there was a block button, I'd use it on YOU.

28 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Page 9 is a **** strong argument to close this thread outright.

Or I can just hand out a bunch of warnings that say "tone it the **** down, these are video game characters".

This is what happens when you open a comment about "hated" anything, so the lesson here is; DON'T.

Edited by Morgan--Grandmaster
Emphasis, Censoring

7 minutes ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

This is what happens when you open a comment about "hated" anything, so the lesson here is; DON'T.

Given that it lasted pretty long without it going too far out of hand, perhaps not.  TC also asked me about this before opening the topic, which is something I appreciate.

Lesson is, temper reactions.  It's fine to not like something, but to rail on a video game character like it stole your wallet isn't okay.  I definitely have my dislikes, but I'm not going to call them trash.

13 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Given that it lasted pretty long without it going too far out of hand, perhaps not.  TC also asked me about this before opening the topic, which is something I appreciate.

Lesson is, temper reactions.  It's fine to not like something, but to rail on a video game character like it stole your wallet isn't okay.  I definitely have my dislikes, but I'm not going to call them trash.

Okay, maybe unless they're like, deliberately in blackface or something. Hopefully, we live in a society where we can all agree that's wrong.

Edited by Morgan--Grandmaster
hope

See, I opened this thread knowing full well, that many people will hate characters I like(Bernie,Severa,Lysthiea) and I would dislike people that others may love(Cordelia,Azura,Lucina). I personally want to hear the reasons why you/anyone dislikes or hates a character(s). This is more or less trying to understand other’s feelings and reasons. I probably went  too far in my dislike of Cordelia, and i know it came off as a lot worse then how I meant it to be. I may be wrong, but I don’t think most of the people here are trying to be antagonistic. 

3 hours ago, JAZ_2002 said:

My first though was Kaze but then i realized i dislike Severa far more. I absolutely cannot stand her tsundere personality.

Sir, you have put yourself in mortal danger.

Gotta say, I dislike Nolan. Sure, he has no personality, but it's egged on by him ruining my life in RD.

I also dislike whatever Ryoma's son is called, Tiki, Nah and Naga. Of these, Tiki is the only one I actually despise. Naga cheeses me off too, but Nah absolutelly gets me angry. It's something about the way the game expects you to interpret her vs. the way she's written. It just bothers me very much.

6 hours ago, Benice said:

Sir, you have put yourself in mortal danger.

Gotta say, I dislike Nolan. Sure, he has no personality, but it's egged on by him ruining my life in RD.

I also dislike whatever Ryoma's son is called, Tiki, Nah and Naga. Of these, Tiki is the only one I actually despise. Naga cheeses me off too, but Nah absolutelly gets me angry. It's something about the way the game expects you to interpret her vs. the way she's written. It just bothers me very much.

Why did Nolan ruin your life out of curiosity? Did he die too many times for you in RD?

3 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

Why did Nolan ruin your life out of curiosity? Did he die too many times for you in RD?

I heard he was really good, and only two of my non-god units turned out well in my playthrough: Aran and Laura. I gave a lot of kills to Nolan so he could be good, but the only stat he grew in consistently was skill. He finished pt. 1 as a lv. 20 fighter, having gained one hp, 0 spd, 5 skl, 3 lck, 1 def. It's more of a personal vendetta than anythinng else.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

I heard he was really good, and only two of my non-god units turned out well in my playthrough: Aran and Laura. I gave a lot of kills to Nolan so he could be good, but the only stat he grew in consistently was skill. He finished pt. 1 as a lv. 20 fighter, having gained one hp, 0 spd, 5 skl, 3 lck, 1 def. It's more of a personal vendetta than anythinng else.

Damn, that is probably the most screwed Nolan I've ever seen

I think you'll might've guessed or assumed already, but I really don't like Dimitri. "But he's mentally ill !" Yes, I am as well  " But he suffers from voices in his head !" Yes, so do I  " But he's had a traumatic past " !

Okay but- 

Image result for nice motive still murder meme

Edited by Eurydice

I really don't like Cordelia. Her crush on Chrom annoyed me, which is odd, since normally I like unrequited love, but here, I just felt bad marrying any guy to her because they would always be her second choice. Unfortunately, I ended up having to pair one of my favorites (Libra) with her...

I'm not a fan of Soleil or Peri either

14 hours ago, Lightningdawn said:

I really don't like Cordelia. Her crush on Chrom annoyed me, which is odd, since normally I like unrequited love, but here, I just felt bad marrying any guy to her because they would always be her second choice. Unfortunately, I ended up having to pair one of my favorites (Libra) with her...

That's because it only works as a tertiary or lesser character trait, it's unhealthy when it becomes the focal point (or one of them).

22 hours ago, X-Naut said:

That's because it only works as a tertiary or lesser character trait, it's unhealthy when it becomes the focal point (or one of them).

If she had moved on then it would be fine however from memory when you marry her to somebody else whom actually gives her attention and knows that she actually exists, she still thinks about Chrom. Yes, it's very unhealthy. 

I think the game wanted you to take pity on her and desire to marry her instead lol ? Just a theory. 

It sucks because I actually shipped her with Chrom almost straight away and then you quickly learn that Chrom just doesn't really care about her whatsoever and she can't seem to let the crush on him go which is a tad annoying and depressing.

Chrom isn't even that good looking lol 

1 hour ago, Eurydice said:

If she had moved on then it would be fine however from memory when you marry her to somebody else whom actually gives her attention and knows that she actually exists, she still thinks about Chrom. Yes, it's very unhealthy.

She does in most cases, the game is just bad at conveying that she did.

4 hours ago, Flere210 said:

She does in most cases, the game is just bad at conveying that she did.

I don't remember but I'm itching for a FE: A replay, but I will take your word for it. Maybe I just gave her a bad Support originally.

I don’t remember if I mentioned this but I also don’t like Cordelia at all. Her Chrom crush is annoying as hell and she has a boring personality.

And overall, I don’t understand what the appeal is about her anyway, other than “she’s a beautiful red head anime girl” or something, which I’m not buying.

50 minutes ago, Eurydice said:

I don't remember but I'm itching for a FE: A replay, but I will take your word for it. Maybe I just gave her a bad Support originally.

The most obvious pairings that shows she gets over it are her supports with Robin and Gregor(Robin especially if you play the summer scramble dlc where they have special dialogue). The end of Severa’s paralogue kinda implies it as well.