Who is you least liked or most hated FE characters

ciphertul

On 5/4/2020 at 12:03 PM, twilitfalchion said:

Cordelia.

The lack of any real faults or flaws, superiority complex to those who are not as perfect as she is, and her Chrom obsession are the biggest aspects to her character that make me dislike her. Even when she does fall in love with one of the Awakening guys, it feels like she’s settling for second best when she could have had Chrom if she had just said something. She’s literally the Knight Paragon, beautiful and great at everything (except parenting apparently). I don’t understand why she couldn’t just support with Chrom. She continues to pine for him after marriage anyway (“I would do all this for him and more”). Don’t get me started on how awful her support is with Frederick. 

Cordy does have a flaw, but it's not particularly apparent.  And said flaw is why she's my least-favorite character.

She's horribly self-centered, to the point where that "modesty" of hers feels fake.  But she's not really called out on it like Severa's called out on her awful behavior.  That's what annoys me.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Cordy does have a flaw, but it's not particularly apparent.  And said flaw is why she's my least-favorite character.

She's horribly self-centered, to the point where that "modesty" of hers feels fake.  But she's not really called out on it like Severa's called out on her awful behavior.  That's what annoys me.

Yeah, she's pretty much the reason why Severa has such a terrible inferiority complex.

The ones I would say I like the least are Hans and Iago. As others have said, not only are they around for longer than neccecary, but nothing is really done with them in that time. The map you fight them on in Conquest is also rather eh, leaving me feeling underwhelmed afterwards. Azama is a close second for being a massive jerk for no real reason.

While I don`t hate them, I find Lillith and Faye to be very dissapointing. Lillith just...exists, doing nothing for any of the three paths. Actually, that also sums up my feelings on Conrad as well, he just exists. Faye was a character I hoped they would avoid making all about Alm, so of course that`s what they ended up doing. It really annoys me because I can see various ways her character could be improved, like in her supports with Silque. She`s also the only character besides Ike whose ending I hate. If she`s going to keep wanting Alm, what`s the point of her marrying some no-name chump? Okay, rant over.

48 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Yeah, she's pretty much the reason why Severa has such a terrible inferiority complex.

ehhhhhhhhhhh I wouldn't say that necessarily. It's more so the people around Cordelia and Severa are what caused that. True Cordelia is gifted but she does not come off as the type to patronize her daughter like that though that doesn't stop others from from doing so. Severa's inferiority complex are a result of others(and herself) idolizing Cordelia to the point of absurdity and expecting Severa to follow in her footsteps. I would assume Cordelia would be similar in that regard but Cordelia does not put herself on a pedestal. She's just a bit of a perfectionist. Though at the end of the day Cordelia, herself, would honestly be happy with whatever Severa decided to do or at least that's my interpretation of her character. Though Severa doesn't really realize that so she bottles up her feelings and it just kinda spirals from there. Like Cordelia expects Severa to follow in her footsteps(unless kinda told otherwise) so Severa is afraid of disappointing her because she idolizes her as she she does. 

Edited by Ottservia

I'm that kind of guy, that rarely ever gets to hate a character; I'm so soft that I think my opinions of characters always improve even it began being a negative one (like with Nyx for say an example). But there are some characters I still have overall negative opinions.

Hilda (FE4): Kind of obvious choice, she was designed to be hateable after all, specially if you put some value into Tailitu and her children.

Sonia (FE7): More or less same deal as Hilda, though at least she is kind of pitable I don't know why Sonia always reminds me of Lust, the Homunculus.

Soren: Something about him makes me feel... annoyed; I think I have something personal against him because I'm not even sure why I don't like him.

Sylvain: Oh this guy as such an awesome name... Just a shame he's an asshole; I think this is the only character in the franchise as far as I can remember where my final impression about him is actually WORSE than the initial one... When someone can get away with being an asshole, specially with women and nobody can do anything about it.

Edited by Troykv

9 hours ago, Icelerate said:

I was wondering what his character is like because I +10ed him in Heroes. Does this mean I have poor taste in lords considering I also +10ed M!Corrin? 

Honestly he probably has more character in the single still for his heroes artwork than he expresses in the entirety of his own game. There's at least a hint of a smirk there.

8 hours ago, Ottservia said:

He's a self insert harem protag I honestly wouldn't think too much of it.

That's pretty much precisely my issue. I don't think claiming something bisba trope should be a defense for it's quality. I've seen harem selfinsert protagonists before and they've all been better than Itsuki. Something can be a trope without being the blandest, laziest, most unambitious version of that trope imaginable. And accepting that because it's a trope just encourages writers to never try.

8 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

The ones I would say I like the least are Hans and Iago. As others have said, not only are they around for longer than neccecary, but nothing is really done with them in that time. The map you fight them on in Conquest is also rather eh, leaving me feeling underwhelmed afterwards. Azama is a close second for being a massive jerk for no real reason.

While I don`t hate them, I find Lillith and Faye to be very dissapointing. Lillith just...exists, doing nothing for any of the three paths. Actually, that also sums up my feelings on Conrad as well, he just exists. Faye was a character I hoped they would avoid making all about Alm, so of course that`s what they ended up doing. It really annoys me because I can see various ways her character could be improved, like in her supports with Silque. She`s also the only character besides Ike whose ending I hate. If she`s going to keep wanting Alm, what`s the point of her marrying some no-name chump? Okay, rant over.

Faye I think works because from the outset we all know she has zero chance with Alm due to his designated pairing with Celica. She's not presented as an alternate option for a harem, but more as a hopeless case. Which isn't revolutionary, it's basically Cordelia done right by actually interacting with her unrequited love, but then they toss in some elements of her not adapting to this life of suddenly being a soldier all that well at all. She turns proving her worth to Alm into proving how well she can kill people and that's freaking scary! And one of the few times in the series where they make some passing attempt to show how conflict can influence psyche.

Edited by Jotari

18 hours ago, Jotari said:

Faye I think works because from the outset we all know she has zero chance with Alm due to his designated pairing with Celica. She's not presented as an alternate option for a harem, but more as a hopeless case. Which isn't revolutionary, it's basically Cordelia done right by actually interacting with her unrequited love, but then they toss in some elements of her not adapting to this life of suddenly being a soldier all that well at all. She turns proving her worth to Alm into proving how well she can kill people and that's freaking scary! And one of the few times in the series where they make some passing attempt to show how conflict can influence psyche

You do make some good points. I wouldn`t have as much a problem with her being a hopeless sutier if there was ANYTHING ELSE to her character. Sadly, everything about her seems to loop back to Alm in some way, shape or form. That is where my dissapointment comes from, the fact that I can see potential in he character dispite her obsession with Alm.

Edit: I just thought of three more characters, Felix, Sylvain and Gilbert.

Felix because he just comes off as a huge jerk most of the time. While he has some good moments, there are too many times where I just wanted to punch him in the face for it to matter to me.

Sylvain due to how he treats the women around him. The game does call him out on it and give a reason, but that doesn`t excuse what he does in my eyes. I don`t care your reasons, willingly breaking a persons heart is scummy.

My thoughts on Gilbert are simillar to my thoughts on Sylvain. On one hand, I get where he`s coming from and feel he is done rather well. I also like how he`s a bad dad without being the absolute worst as a human being. On the other hand, I find that it just doesn`t work because Annette is the one of, if not the most, forgiving people in the army. It just becomes tiring seeing Annette trying again and again to talk to him, only for him to shove her away.

Edited by Metal Flash
Adding characters

I always had a certain distaste for Clive. The contrast between the paragon knight knight and the scumbag who refuses to save Delthea because she's not a noble and who plots to abuse Alm and discard him once he served his purpose is very steep. Sure, the game does admit Clive is wrong but they depict him more as a honorable man who just needed to learn rather then someone who's cowardly and rather mean spirited. Just how poorly Clive comes off strikes me more as an accident rather then on purpose so aside from being morally dubious he also seems poorly written which is a very off putting combination. 

Some conflict between Alm and Clive could have been depiced in a nuanced way, but Clive unjustly trying to fire Alm the moment he's done opening Mathilda's jail cell makes him seem inherently vicious and self serving. 

I'll copy what I wrote on Reddit not long ago when this question was asked.

If we exclude Fates, then my choice remains the same as always: Alm.

Faye may have been a horrible addition to Echoes, a one note caricature of a character, but she's not at all important in the grand scheme of things.

Alm, however, is the central focus of Echoes, so much so that he more or less renders his supposed counterpart and fellow protagonist, Celica, superfluous.

Alm starts out as a friendly and patient guy who's ready to do the right thing. He's a great fighter from the get-go and achieves victory after victory. In fact, Alm simply does not stop winning, and absolutely demolishes any resistance put up against him, even when Berkut is at the helm, which has the consequence of making the villains look ineffective at the best of times.

Not only that, but Alm is also the chosen one, the one destined to save Valentia and use the plot sword to defeat the big bad dragon. While Celica gets manipulated and captured, Alm defeats the empire despite the massive disadvantage Zofia has (a grossly overlooked part of the story), saves the princess and defeats the big bad.

This kind of power trip is not very appealing to me, but what absolutely ruins it for me is Alm's lack of opposition and, for the lack of a better word, controversy. Alm basically does or says no wrong...ever. Even if you'd argue that he does, like when he goes after Nuibaba, it ends with the absolutely best possible results. He's such a good guy that he mourns both Fernand and Berkut, people he knows as nothing but petty traitors or opponents who never even showed him respect, and in Berkut's case a cold-blooded murderer.

Alm does not fit the story of his own game. In a game about duality and reaching a middle ground between extreme ideals, Alm is too perfect to exist, which negatively impacts everyone around him. This holds doubly true for Celica.

19 hours ago, Jotari said:

Faye I think works because from the outset we all know she has zero chance with Alm due to his designated pairing with Celica. She's not presented as an alternate option for a harem, but more as a hopeless case. Which isn't revolutionary, it's basically Cordelia done right by actually interacting with her unrequited love, but then they toss in some elements of her not adapting to this life of suddenly being a soldier all that well at all. She turns proving her worth to Alm into proving how well she can kill people and that's freaking scary! And one of the few times in the series where they make some passing attempt to show how conflict can influence psyche.

I don't buy any of this. Faye was deliberately added as stated in an interview to not make Alm's party that much of a sausage fest, and her being obsessed with Alm is in line with how the rest of the game is laser focused on him as well. I wish they did more with Faye as a character, like exploring her desire for a simple life, but she only talks about Alm. She talks about him in her support with Silque, she talks about him in the prologue, she talks about him in combat, her base monologues are all based around him. Really, it's grating, and it would have been even if she had any depth.

2 hours ago, Thane said:

I'll copy what I wrote on Reddit not long ago when this question was asked.

If we exclude Fates, then my choice remains the same as always: Alm.

Faye may have been a horrible addition to Echoes, a one note caricature of a character, but she's not at all important in the grand scheme of things.

Alm, however, is the central focus of Echoes, so much so that he more or less renders his supposed counterpart and fellow protagonist, Celica, superfluous.

Alm starts out as a friendly and patient guy who's ready to do the right thing. He's a great fighter from the get-go and achieves victory after victory. In fact, Alm simply does not stop winning, and absolutely demolishes any resistance put up against him, even when Berkut is at the helm, which has the consequence of making the villains look ineffective at the best of times.

Not only that, but Alm is also the chosen one, the one destined to save Valentia and use the plot sword to defeat the big bad dragon. While Celica gets manipulated and captured, Alm defeats the empire despite the massive disadvantage Zofia has (a grossly overlooked part of the story), saves the princess and defeats the big bad.

This kind of power trip is not very appealing to me, but what absolutely ruins it for me is Alm's lack of opposition and, for the lack of a better word, controversy. Alm basically does or says no wrong...ever. Even if you'd argue that he does, like when he goes after Nuibaba, it ends with the absolutely best possible results. He's such a good guy that he mourns both Fernand and Berkut, people he knows as nothing but petty traitors or opponents who never even showed him respect, and in Berkut's case a cold-blooded murderer.

Alm does not fit the story of his own game. In a game about duality and reaching a middle ground between extreme ideals, Alm is too perfect to exist, which negatively impacts everyone around him. This holds doubly true for Celica.

For what it's worth, there are a few kinda player-driven moments where Alm can screw up. (such as killing Zeke or failing to save Mathilda) where other characters will call him out on it. (The entire village basically hates you if you kill Zeke and the scene with Clive having doubts about Alm takes on a different tone where he kinda has more of a point.)

Granted it's still different from Celica making more impactiful bad decisions as part of the plot but he can at least make some mistakes. 

For me personally it's still better than Robin, where very little (and I'm only not willing to say nothing because I've not finished Awakening.) dialogue changes to reflect anyone dying, such as supports where he gets praised for keeping everyone alive. (such as Virion) 

(Also at least in my experience, having just finished ACT 3, for how good he is, Mages in general still kick way more ass than he does in-gameplay.)

Edited by Samz707

23 hours ago, Jotari said:

Honestly he probably has more character in the single still for his heroes artwork than he expresses in the entirety of his own game. There's at least a hint of a smirk there.

So he has the same amount of personality as Roy? 

On 5/15/2020 at 4:52 PM, Troykv said:

Sylvain: Oh this guy as such an awesome name... Just a shame he's an asshole; I think this is the only character in the franchise as far as I can remember where my final impression about him is actually WORSE than the initial one... When someone can get away with being an asshole, specially with women and nobody can do anything about it.

Yeah, I really dislike Sylvain as a character (probably my least favorite 3H character), but it's not because he's a flirty guy. If my avatar is any indicator, you'll know I really like Inigo as a character, who also is an incorrigible flirt like Sylvain. The difference is that Sylvain enjoys seeing the women from his flings be spited and have their hearts broken because of his resentment towards them. Even after he openly states that he's wrong for doing this, he doesn't really change. There's no real development to make me appreciate him as a character.

Inigo, on the other hand, just enjoys complimenting women, even if he unintentionally makes them angry or hurts them in the process. 

Edited by twilitfalchion

4 hours ago, Thane said:

I don't buy any of this. Faye was deliberately added as stated in an interview to not make Alm's party that much of a sausage fest, and her being obsessed with Alm is in line with how the rest of the game is laser focused on him as well. I wish they did more with Faye as a character, like exploring her desire for a simple life, but she only talks about Alm. She talks about him in her support with Silque, she talks about him in the prologue, she talks about him in combat, her base monologues are all based around him. Really, it's grating, and it would have been even if she had any depth.

What do you mean you don't buy it? Like you literally don't think an aspect of Faye is unhealthy desire to prove her worth to Alm by killing in his name? Because Alm literally says it. You're fine not liking Faye, but I honestly can't get how you wouldn't get what I was saying about her.

40 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

So he has the same amount of personality as Roy? 

Roy at least as a modicum of intelligent thinking and forward momentum in the story. Itsuki is little more than a zombie who will do whatever his friends tell him to do.

Edited by Jotari

19 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Roy at least as a modicum of intelligent thinking and forward momentum in the story. Itsuki is little more than a zombie who will do whatever his friends tell him to do.

So is Itsuki Mr. I Fight for my Friends? 

5 hours ago, Thane said:

IMO, she could've been the one that tagged along because she'd be lonely without her friends, but wasn't quite comfortable around them because they were all guys, she was a girl. and the villagers whispered about girls who were, uh, too much into guys.  Would've made a far more interesting conversation with Silque.  Also would've made a far more interesting ending, where her friends move on to bigger and greater things, while she goes back home and marries.

9 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

So is Itsuki Mr. I Fight for my Friends? 

If you mean is Itsuki Ike, then no. If you mean does I Fight for my Friends sum up the entirety of Itsuki as a character, then a thousand times yes.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

If you mean is Itsuki Ike, then no. If you mean does I Fight for my Friends sum up the entirety of Itsuki as a character, then a thousand times yes.

Okay last couple of questions, due to Itsuki having a Chrom mirage, does it mean that he's similar to Chrom especially because Chrom is all about friendship and bonds from what I've seen? 

Finally, is he even more bland than Corrin? 

1 hour ago, Icelerate said:

Okay last couple of questions, due to Itsuki having a Chrom mirage, does it mean that he's similar to Chrom especially because Chrom is all about friendship and bonds from what I've seen? 

Finally, is he even more bland than Corrin? 

Similar to Chrom no, because Chrom seems capable of showing emotion. More bland than Corrin, yes, because Corrin can also display emotion.

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

What do you mean you don't buy it? Like you literally don't think an aspect of Faye is unhealthy desire to prove her worth to Alm by killing in his name? Because Alm literally says it. You're fine not liking Faye, but I honestly can't get how you wouldn't get what I was saying about her.

What I mean is I don't think Faye was ever meant to be portrayed in that light. She's effectively there as shipping bait or even comic relief, but she's not her own character and certainly not a comment on how war takes its toll on the mind. In the Japanese supports Alm doesn't seem to express much of a worry at all; he says he should learn from her in finding happiness in the little things.

Alm: エフィって……▼ すごくささいなことで 感動できるんだな。▼ いいなあ、僕も見習わなきゃ。

Alm: That Faye...she sure can get passionate/moved by the most trivial things. That's good. I should learn from that.

5 hours ago, Thane said:

What I mean is I don't think Faye was ever meant to be portrayed in that light. She's effectively there as shipping bait or even comic relief, but she's not her own character and certainly not a comment on how war takes its toll on the mind. In the Japanese supports Alm doesn't seem to express much of a worry at all; he says he should learn from her in finding happiness in the little things.

Alm: That Faye...she sure can get passionate/moved by the most trivial things. That's good. I should learn from that.

Well I can only comment on the English localisation, which does, literally, have Alm say he's worried about the toll the war is taking on her. So Kudos to the translators for adding some more depth then. Whether it was in the original or not it is something that now exists. If you're commenting on the Japanese version and I'm commenting on the English then we're not really debating, we're just talking past each other.

Edited by Jotari

6 hours ago, Thane said:

Oh boy if he wasn’t enough of a dense harem MC already. I swear this is almost as bad if not worse than Corrin at times. Like I have yet to play TMS but with itsuki I don’t expext him to be more than what he is so it doesn’t me but oh boy.

On 5/15/2020 at 8:01 PM, Wraith said:

I also find Owain annoying at times. 

I find him fine as Owain but as Odin he veeery quickly overstayed his welcome. It didn't help that Fates introduced a third Owain in Ophelia and also made her a bully to boot

On 5/15/2020 at 3:01 PM, Wraith said:

I also find Owain annoying at times. 

5 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I find him fine as Owain but as Odin he veeery quickly overstayed his welcome. It didn't help that Fates introduced a third Owain in Ophelia and also made her a bully to boot

😱 Heresy!
Unbelievers have besieged the forest!