Who is you least liked or most hated FE characters

ciphertul

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iā€™ve already posted in this thread, but manĀ I hate how Soleil was butchered (then again, most of Fatesā€™ characters are a bunch of tropey, one-note garbage characters with a few exceptions). OnĀ one hand, she has Inigoā€™s infectious optimism and flirtatious nature. On the other hand, she is a little creep who loves invading other peopleā€™s bodies to satisfy her weird fetish. And yeah, thatā€™s exactly how it comes across in her supports with Ophelia. Or how sheā€™s made out to be an absolute joke of a bisexual character in nearly every otherĀ support,Ā like with M!Corrin, only falling in love with Corrin because he pretended to be a girl for Soleilā€™s sake. Since sheā€™sĀ supposed to be fond of women, they shouldā€™ve just made her S-supportsĀ fem-exclusive instead of having a weird mix of platonic S-supports with the male 2nd gen (barring Corrin)Ā and no actual S-supports with the female 2nd gen.

Edited by twilitfalchion

Disliked characters are plenty with me. Fates' cast, Sylvia, Linhardt, Sophia(fe6), Faye & MicaiahĀ all come to mind but not one of these characters is capable of ruining the entire game for me. Maybe the cast for Fates but that's more because of the horrendous writing which is easy to get over since it is more one enormous problem that can only be solved by redoing the whole thing instead of one factor ruining something that could have been good.Ā 

However there is one character that while not ruining the entire game still frustrates me enormously, that character is Kris. If Kris didn't exist Fe12 would be my favourite Fire Emblem game. But because of Kris it joins the rank of being a contender instead of clearly being the best. With other characters I dislike I can at least understand why they where added to the game, why they are written the way they are and what the appeal is behind it. As much as I might dislike Camilla I can understand the reasoning behind the character and the appeal. With Kris IĀ kinda understand the reasoning and why it might appeal but when it's executed I have to go back to rethinking it. Because not only does Kris have a clear personality (which is the most obnoxious personality in all of Fire Emblem) but there also aren't real character interactions with other characters and options to romance which is the biggest appeal behind avatars. Sure you can support but those supports only display basic personality traits which would be way more effective if they supported with other characters. Fe12's also is clearly not written with an avatar in mind which makes Kris stick out even more. Every scene with him is forced and unnatural which even Corrin doesn't have since Corrin perfectly fits in with the other terrible writing of Fates.Ā 

To put it simply, Nothing about Kris works and he/she drastically decreases my enjoyment of an otherwise amazing game.

Edited by Rapaille
Typo

7 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

On the other hand, [Soleil] is a little sexual predator who loves invading other peopleā€™s bodies to satisfy her weird fetish. And yeah, thatā€™s exactly how it comes across in her supports with Ophelia.

In my opinion, there are both cultural and generational differences around this. When I first "discovered" Conquest about three years ago and read about the whole Soleil Issue, I honestly thought that it would be something as ridiculous and morally reproachable as Cornflakes being able to marry her siblings (specially the Nohrian ones, whom she grew up with!) But when I read the support between Soleil and Ophelia (first in German, but I also read it in Spanish and English, to check if there were some localisation within the western releases), it always seemed to me as a joke, probably off-colour humour, but nothing that would not have happened in a situational comedy scene some years ago.

When Soleil is in Ophelia's body, she says that she would like to find a mirror, that is it. Even if we could argue that she wants like to see herself (Ophelia) naked, that is still within the reach of a "perverted" joke, and common not long ago.Ā Have you never watched sex comedies from the 80's? I know nothing about anime, but people like me who were born in the 80's grew up watching some anime series, and many of them included this "perverted" humour jokes and scenes. I clearly remember the old guy from the "Dragon Quest" animated series spying on girls and getting crazy when touching their breasts or such, as did the old guy from "Dragon Ball", or the old guy from "Ranma"... Did you ever played "Joe & Mac Returns" at the arcades? They were always chasing girls, spied on girls taking baths, blew kisses at them and got crazy when they finally saw them naked. Those were all jokes. We all saw them and took them as nothing more than jokes.
Granted, we live in a different time now, but millions of people who grew up watching those "perverted" jokes would identify them as such. Nothing more. It may be of bad taste in today's hyper-correction train, but they were always intended to be jokes.

Now, claiming that Soleil is a "sexual predator" is a stretch, a large one. Either you are using it very lightly, or you actually believe that a flirtatious teenager who probably wants to see another teenager naked within the context of a fantasy game should indeed be labelled as "sexual predator." In both cases, I think that you are minimising the impact of a real sexual crime over their victims. I do know close people who were victims of a sexual crime. Trust me, I would never, ever, make any sort of comparison or any attempt at an analogy between their experience and a "perverted" joke. I laugh about sexual jokes and references all the time, but when the conversation gets serious, a joke and their experience do not belong in the same sentence, ever.

Do I see Soleil and Ophelia's support as distasteful in today's context? Yes, I give you that. And since Intelligent Systems created this game five years ago, and they knew the context that we are living in, they do not even have a pass of an anachronistic judgement.
Can I take this support conversation as a (failed) joke? Yes, I can. And I firmly believe that is all it is.

Nothing personal, mate. I have had the exact same opinion since I first read about it years ago. I simply never thought that it was worth mentioning. Now I decided to give it a go.

Ā 

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

Or how sheā€™s made out to be an absolute joke of a bisexual character in nearly every otherĀ support,Ā like with M!Corrin, only falling in love with Corrin because he pretended to be a girl for Soleilā€™s sake. Since sheā€™sĀ supposed to be fond of women, they shouldā€™ve just made her S-supportsĀ fem-exclusive instead of having a weird mix of platonic S-supports with the male 2nd gen (barring Corrin)Ā and no actual S-supports with the female 2nd gen.

This I can understand and I agree with you. I do not take characters seriously, but I can perfectly understand if you disliked Soleil because of this.

2 hours ago, starburst said:

In my opinion, there are both cultural and generational differences around this. When I first "discovered" Conquest about three years ago and read about the whole Soleil Issue, I honestly thought that it would be something as ridiculous and morally reproachable as Cornflakes being able to marry her siblings (specially the Nohrian ones, whom she grew up with!) But when I read the support between Soleil and Ophelia (first in German, but I also read it in Spanish and English, to check if there were some localisation within the western releases), it always seemed to me as a joke, probably off-colour humour, but nothing that would not have happened in a situational comedy scene some years ago.

When Soleil is in Ophelia's body, she says that she would like to find a mirror, that is it. Even if we could argue that she wants like to see herself (Ophelia) naked, that is still within the reach of a "perverted" joke, and common not long ago.Ā Have you never watched sex comedies from the 80's? I know nothing about anime, but people like me who were born in the 80's grew up watching some anime series, and many of them included this "perverted" humour jokes and scenes. I clearly remember the old guy from the "Dragon Quest" animated series spying on girls and getting crazy when touching their breasts or such, as did the old guy from "Dragon Ball", or the old guy from "Ranma"... Did you ever played "Joe & Mac Returns" at the arcades? They were always chasing girls, spied on girls taking baths, blew kisses at them and got crazy when they finally saw them naked. Those were all jokes. We all saw them and took them as nothing more than jokes.
Granted, we live in a different time now, but millions of people who grew up watching those "perverted" jokes would identify them as such. Nothing more. It may be of bad taste in today's hyper-correction train, but they were always intended to be jokes.

Now, claiming that Soleil is a "sexual predator" is a stretch, a large one. Either you are using it very lightly, or you actually believe that a flirtatious teenager who probably wants to see another teenager naked within the context of a fantasy game should indeed be labelled as "sexual predator." In both cases, I think that you are minimising the impact of a real sexual crime over their victims. I do know close people who were victims of a sexual crime. Trust me, I would never, ever, make any sort of comparison or any attempt at an analogy between their experience and a "perverted" joke. I laugh about sexual jokes and references all the time, but when the conversation gets serious, a joke and their experience do not belong in the same sentence, ever.

Do I see Soleil and Ophelia's support as distasteful in today's context? Yes, I give you that. And since Intelligent Systems created this game five years ago, and they knew the context that we are living in, they do not even have a pass of an anachronistic judgement.
Can I take this support conversation as a (failed) joke? Yes, I can. And I firmly believe that is all it is.

Nothing personal, mate. I have had the exact same opinion since I first read about it years ago. I simply never thought that it was worth mentioning. Now I decided to give it a go.

This I can understand and I agree with you. I do not take characters seriously, but I can perfectly understand if you disliked Soleil because of this.

Fair enough. I've edited my comment to say "creep" instead of "sexual predator" as I agree in hindsight that that's perhaps taking it a bit too far.

Edited by twilitfalchion

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

Fair enough. I've edited my comment to say "creep" instead of "sexual predator" as I agree in hindsight that that's perhaps taking it a bit too far.

No worries, mate. As I said, it was nothing personal. You can call Soleil whatever you want, it is a video game. I was telling you why I, and surely many more, would have never seen that situation as something more than an off-colour joke. And not because the issue was alien to me. It is cultural, or generational, or both, I just see it differently.
You may have a hard time revisiting tons of cartoons, films, articles, TV shows and media in general from twenty or thirty years ago.

Anyway, I do not want to focus on this issue, nor do I want it to look like a personal agenda or such. Let me give you a lighter example: I grew up watching parents give lip kisses to their children. My parents did it, all parents did, all the time. It was normal. Well, a couple of days ago, a friend of mine was troubled about some comments that she had heard at the school, criticising her for kissing her kid on the lips. So, who knows, mate!? Is it cultural? Generational? I have no idea. Things changed, the world changed, but many of us got caught in between and experience things differently.

Ā 

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Yes! We'll torch your vile dens of worship and smash your false idols! Mwahaha!

Blasphemy! There is one true, immaculate faith, whose grace has been bestowed to The Chosen Ones to endure any trial. They shall not be mentioned in this thread.

14 hours ago, UNLEASH IT said:

The thing about Faye is that Gaiden already had their own Catria (apart from the actual Catria) in Clair so she just feels kinda unnecessary.

Aside from being women, what's the uniting thread between Catria, Clair and Faye?

11 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

Iā€™ve already posted in this thread, but manĀ I hate how Soleil was butchered (then again, most of Fatesā€™ characters are a bunch of tropey, one-note garbage characters with a few exceptions). OnĀ one hand, she has Inigoā€™s infectious optimism and flirtatious nature. On the other hand, she is a little creep who loves invading other peopleā€™s bodies to satisfy her weird fetish. And yeah, thatā€™s exactly how it comes across in her supports with Ophelia. Or how sheā€™s made out to be an absolute joke of a bisexual character in nearly every otherĀ support,Ā like with M!Corrin, only falling in love with Corrin because he pretended to be a girl for Soleilā€™s sake. Since sheā€™sĀ supposed to be fond of women, they shouldā€™ve just made her S-supportsĀ fem-exclusive instead of having a weird mix of platonic S-supports with the male 2nd gen (barring Corrin)Ā and no actual S-supports with the female 2nd gen.

I have been meaning to make a thread for some time now addressing the point that S supports means Fire Emblem will probably never have an actual gay character again, so long as Bi is always an option.

Edited by Jotari

5 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Aside from being women, what's the uniting thread between Ctria, Clair and Faye?

They're all hopelessly pining for the main lord of their respective games.

33 minutes ago, ping said:

They're all hopelessly pining for the main lord of their respective games.

Eh, of all of them I'd only describe Faye as hopelessly pining. There's a bit of it there for Catria and Clair, but not really a whole lot. Catria's hat is more sisterhood and Clair's is more poshness. And ifĀ we're going to name an archtype for this I think Cordellia has already long since taken the cake (not to say she's the first, but the most obvious).

Edited by Jotari

12 hours ago, Jotari said:

Eh, of all of them I'd only describe Faye as hopelessly pining. There's a bit of it there for Catria and Clair, but not really a whole lot. Catria's hat is more sisterhood and Clair's is more poshness. And ifĀ we're going to name an archtype for this I think Cordellia has already long since taken the cake (not to say she's the first, but the most obvious).

Which is kind of a reason to dislike Faye's role in the story. Catria and Clair are characters that happen to be sweet on a protagonist who has a canon love interest. Faye's character begins and ends with her infatuation with Alm.

She's also obnoxious about it which doesn't help.

Can't say much about Clair but Catria's character in FE11/12 at least is not centered around liking Marth. So yeah, she works. There's hints here and there and we know she is hopeless about it but she doesn't, like, simp for him or anything. She just does her own thing with the unrequited love being on the side of it all.

On 5/17/2020 at 1:13 PM, Rapaille said:

Disliked characters are plenty with me. Fates' cast, Sylvia, Linhardt, Sophia(fe6), Faye & MicaiahĀ all come to mind but not one of this characters is capable of ruining the entire game for me. Maybe the cast for Fates but that's more because of the horrendous writing which is easy to get over since it is more one enormous problem that can only be solved by redoing the whole thing instead of one factor ruining something that could have been good.Ā 

I'm curious, what do you not like about Linhardt? Easily one of my favorite characters in Three Houses. He's like a lazy Leonie, both are people who have their lives figured out and it's because of that that they have no grand flaw or moral dilemma to solve.

As far as least liked or hated... Hmmm, Rudolf? His "plan" is the dumbest thing I've seen. "I'll viciously oppress our neighboring country and throwĀ everything I've got into trying to kill my son, because through this he will grow into a hero, destroy the gods and then the people can live by theirĀ own rules. How do I know he'll succeed? Because he's my son! Literally only that! And nothing else! Everyone else is likely to die through my plan, but not my special boy! It's just a feeling I have!" He is the worst ruler/non-evil person I've seen in Fire Emblem. Anyway, I'll stop right here. I could rant about this all day.

12 minutes ago, Slyfox said:

I'm curious, what do you not like about Linhardt? Easily one of my favorite characters in Three Houses. He's like a lazy Leonie, both are people who have their lives figured out and it's because of that that they have no grand flaw or moral dilemma to solve.

As far as least liked or hated... Hmmm, Rudolf? His "plan" is the dumbest thing I've seen. "I'll viciously oppress our neighboring country and throwĀ everything I've got into trying to kill my son, because through this he will grow into a hero, destroy the gods and then the people can live by theirĀ own rules. How do I know he'll succeed? Because he's my son! Literally only that! And nothing else! Everyone else is likely to die through my plan, but not my special boy! It's just a feeling I have!" He is the worst ruler/non-evil person I've seen in Fire Emblem. Anyway, I'll stop right here. I could rant about this all day.

But Rudolf know Alm has protagonist power so he is save.

Colm is another one I dislike, the dude treats Neimi like shit constantly and that ainā€™t cool

5 hours ago, Slyfox said:

Don't strongly dislike him, just not a big fan of his lazy/oblivious personality and I feel that his interactions with other characters aren't interesting. Most of them boil down to either crest research orĀ him being lazy. Maybe it's because I have only used him on my first playthrough where I only recruited 1 studentĀ so maybe I just need to read more of his supports.Ā 

There is also the fact that I really like the cast in Three Houses so when a character would have been annoying but tolerableĀ in other games, I dislike it more because I directly compare it to the other characters in the game (which is why I dislike Sylvia & Kris way more then for example Nowi & Corrin despite my reasons for disliking being pretty much the same).

9 hours ago, Rapaille said:

Don't strongly dislike him, just not a big fan of his lazy/oblivious personality and I feel that his interactions with other characters aren't interesting. Most of them boil down to either crest research orĀ him being lazy. Maybe it's because I have only used him on my first playthrough where I only recruited 1 studentĀ so maybe I just need to read more of his supports.Ā 

There is also the fact that I really like the cast in Three Houses so when a character would have been annoying but tolerableĀ in other games, I dislike it more because I directly compare it to the other characters in the game (which is why I dislike Sylvia & Kris way more then for example Nowi & Corrin despite my reasons for disliking being pretty much the same).

I would say give him another chance, read the rest of his supports. He's an incredibly caring person, just very blunt in a absolutely non-malicious way. He isn't great at figuring out how people will react to what he says,Ā so perhaps he does suffer from a bit of autism at Ottservia implied.

I can't really say I really dislike characters at a character level. Even the super villain characters like Julius and Arvis and the loptyr guys from FE4 I can kinda sympathies with. Only characterĀ I "hate" from fe I think is Kris, just cause his inclusion offends me on a fundamental level, but even him I can't really say I hate as a character. I think fire emblem has been good with making characters likable.Ā 

for my most liked, you just gotta look at my profile picture lol. gordin is so meme-able.

Hated characters? I'm gonna have to go with
Tharja (abuses her husband and daughter and is just really creepy in general),
Camilla (Corrin-worshipping fanservice and the whole older sister thing is really weird),
Rhea (spoilers),
Leonie (Jeralt this Jeralt that stop being horny on main for my dad),
Catherine and Cyril (LADY RHEA),
Iago (Shit villain with no motives and was just written terribly, his cool design was wasted on him),
Ursula (I know nothing about her personality, but that bloody Bolting tome makes me want to scream),
Corrin (annoying goody-two shoes mary sue with no flaws who everyone worships),
and finally all the villains that everyone hates (Solon, Acheron, Jedah, etc).
Other than that I don't reallyĀ hateĀ any characters,

Loved characters?
Marianne (Kind and compassionate despite all she's been through, also loves animals),
Matthew (Literally no reason other than the fact that I love pronouncing his name Matt-tyeuh),
Edelgard, Claude, and Dimitri (Edelgard because I hate Rhea and vive la revolution, Claude because silley funney man makes my heart go whEEEE, Dimitri because I love his character arc and his post timeskip design is mwah),
Kliff (Love his looks and his personality),
Ferdinand Von Aegir (He is good-hearted and kind and selfless and I love he),
Natasha (Because in my randomizer play through she randomized into an absolute beast of a Lord)
And so, so many more, I just don't want to list all of them.

On 5/17/2020 at 1:13 PM, Rapaille said:

Disliked characters are plenty with me. Fates' cast, Sylvia, Linhardt, Sophia(fe6), Faye & MicaiahĀ all come to mind but not one of this characters is capable of ruining the entire game for me. Maybe the cast for Fates but that's more because of the horrendous writing which is easy to get over since it is more one enormous problem that can only be solved by redoing the whole thing instead of one factor ruining something that could have been good.Ā 

However there is one character that while not ruining the entire game still frustrates me enormously, that character is Kris. If Kris didn't exist Fe12 would be my favourite Fire Emblem game. But because of Kris it joins the rank of being a contender instead of clearly being the best. With other characters I dislike I can at least understand why they where added to the game, why they are written the way they are and what the appeal is behind it. As much as I might dislike Camilla I can understand the reasoning behind the character and the appeal. With Kris IĀ kinda understand the reasoning and why it might appeal but when it's executed I have to go back to rethinking it. Because not only does Kris have a clear personality (which is the most obnoxious personality in all of Fire Emblem) but there also aren't real character interactions with other characters and options to romance which is the biggest appeal behind avatars. Sure you can support but those supports only display basic personality traits which would be way more effective if they supported with other characters. Fe12's also is clearly not written with an avatar in mind which makes Kris stick out even more. Every scene with him is forced and unnatural which even Corrin doesn't have since Corrin perfectly fits in with the other terrible writing of Fates.Ā 

To put it simply, Nothing about Kris works and he/she drastically decreases my enjoyment of an otherwise amazing game.

E x a c t l y

I literally would not hate Kris as much as I did if Kris was okay. Kris hogging this much spotlight and having Marth's affection when Kris is someone Marth knew the least is complete shit. Kris needing the entire support pool yet CAIN and ABEL did not support with each other... it's fucking awful.Ā 

How the hell did WARRIORS handle Marth better than New Mystery? Despite Rowan and Lianna becoming strong and earning Marth's respect, Marth treats them as another respectable ally. Kris meanwhile didn't act any differently than the typical loyal grunt yet somehow Marth loves em over his main man Merric. It's bs.

1 hour ago, Seazas said:

E x a c t l y

I literally would not hate Kris as much as I did if Kris was okay. Kris hogging this much spotlight and having Marth's affection when Kris is someone Marth knew the least is complete shit. Kris needing the entire support pool yet CAIN and ABEL did not support with each other... it's fucking awful.Ā 

How the hell did WARRIORS handle Marth better than New Mystery? Despite Rowan and Lianna becoming strong and earning Marth's respect, Marth treats them as another respectable ally. Kris meanwhile didn't act any differently than the typical loyal grunt yet somehow Marth loves em over his main man Merric. It's bs.

Unpopular opinion, but the only Marth support in Warriors I liked was his much needed romantic support with Caeda.

Ā 

Every other support is just:

"You're so great Marth!"

"I could never do it without my friends."

"No, Marth, you're the bestest ever!" *Proceeds to go down on Marth.*

33 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Unpopular opinion, but the only Marth support in Warriors I liked was his much needed romantic support with Caeda.

Ā 

Every other support is just:

"You're so great Marth!"

"I could never do it without my friends."

"No, Marth, you're the bestest ever!" *Proceeds to go down on Marth.*

At least Marth is shown to be competent in Warriors and capable of doing shit without crying to Kris like New Mystery displays him as.Ā