Who is you least liked or most hated FE characters

ciphertul

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Hong Nhi said:

image.jpeg.c355939c5bdc3a0ec8eb90db5cca2799.jpegAutumn Sacura on Twitter: "Raven x Lucius. Fire Emblem Heroes ...8tracks radio | my raven. (8 songs) | free and music playlist

Just an FYI, image posts that don't have any kind of text or explanation are against the Serenes guidelines. At least in the general threads here. Far From The Forest and dedicated Art Threads are more lenient. Of course I myself am committing the great sin of mini modding by pointing this out, but I know you're new around here so I figure it's probably okay to give out some friendly advice. Check out all the guidelines here.

https://forums.serenesforest.net/index.php?/guidelines/

54 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Just an FYI, image posts that don't have any kind of text or explanation are against the Serenes guidelines. At least in the general threads here. Far From The Forest and dedicated Art Threads are more lenient. Of course I myself am committing the great sin of mini modding by pointing this out, but I know you're new around here so I figure it's probably okay to give out some friendly advice. Check out all the guidelines here.

https://forums.serenesforest.net/index.php?/guidelines/

thank you for remind me ^^. I just add some texts to it

• 2 months later...

Maribelle: I like the idea of her character, she’s just not written well. A snob with egalitarian ideals could be interesting, if she were either played for humor in a NIMBY way (I’ve met a fair number of people like this IRL: they advocate for something, but don’t want it in their own lives) or if the reason/beliefs behind her cognitive dissonance was addressed. Her support with Gaius (one of her few supports I like) begins to approach the latter, but it’s not enough to make me like or sympathize with her.

Brady: I can’t think of anything I like about him. He’s not even a good unit (in a game where magic users are often overpowered) and his supports are rather dull.

Yarne: A whiny coward who is annoying rather than sympathetic. At least he’s a great unit, but Panne is a much better character and is one of my favorite Awakening characters.

Henry: Not for the reasons one would expect. Generally I like sociopathic characters, since their outlooks make for entertaining contrast to the rest of the cast. I like Tharja, and Peri is one of my favorite characters in Fates. The problem is that Henry is so incredibly annoying. He is easily the most annoying character in the series. Everything about him irritates me: his voice, his dialogue, his constant silly smirk... A few good support conversations don’t justify why he’s so bafflingly popular.

Niles: It’s hard for me to put my finger on what I dislike about him, but he rubs me the wrong way. It’s some combination of his dialogue and his attitude.

Takumi: His personality and attitude irk me. His Warriors support with Niles sums up many of the reasons why I don’t like him, and many of the reasons I don’t like Niles, either. 

Saizo: He’s a rude, coarse, ungrateful jerk. He reminds me of Riven in Winx Club, though he lacks Riven’s redeemable qualities (e.g. the great lengths that Riven goes to in order to redeem himself and repair his relationships with others.) Saizo has some good supports, but very few of them redeem his general unpleasantness (though Azura’s, Ryoma’s and Kaze’s are steps in the right direction.)

Characters I used to dislike who grew on me a little:

Dwyer: At first having him as a son was the only thing I disliked about my OTP. I find him unattractive and his personality irritates me. However, my Corrin’s hair color (dark brown) is very flattering on him, and he makes an excellent Nohrian Noble with his all-around good stats. I don’t like his supports outside of his family, though.

Selena: She, Odin and Laslow are all improvements over their Awakening counterparts, though I liked Owain and Inigo to begin with. Selena isn’t as nasty in her supports, and she has more redeeming, sympathetic moments. After several supports, I realized she reminds me greatly of a childhood friend. 

Ignatius: I didn’t like him at first, but he’s not as whiny as Yarne, and unlike Yarne, he makes an effort to better himself and overcome his fear. It also helps he turned out to be a phenomenal unit as a great knight.

• 3 weeks later...

Years ago, I used to be really vocal about the characters I "disliked" or "hated" on these forums. But I've mellowed out over the years, and I don't even feel the same about characters I used to LOVE like Cordelia or Severa. I've said I'm not a fan of a certain character or group of characters, but I wouldn't go as far to say I hate them for whatever reason. It just seems a bit ridiculous to have such a furious hatred for a fictional character.

To answer the thread, the characters I like the least are probably Ashe and Ingrid, and that's just because Three Houses is the newest FE game and the freshest in my mind.

Actually wait I have more.
...Keep in mind though that I don't really actively hate any of these characters except Gheb; mostly just don't really care for them.

Xander and Ryoma I wouldn't say I hate but they're really... overexposed, I think is a good term? They're more or less just two different instances of the same really common Fire Emblem character type, and I don't find either of them terribly interesting. It doesn't help that their designs don't really do much of anything for me; Xander in particular just feels like a bootleg Camus to me in that respect.

Peri's really commonly-disliked, but I think she really is just a profoundly poorly-executed and incorporated character. There are lots of ways they could've gone about fixing it, but the way her behavior and backstory interacts with the world and cast around her as it is in the final game is just a mess.

On the topic of Cavaliers... Abel, actually, is one I've come to not like so much. I don't know if he has a canon age, but he seems to be in his early twenties or like, 18~19 at the youngest. Either way, hooking up with a teenager is still a really creepy thing to do. I understand that yeah, it's a medieval era-type setting and there were (and are) cultures that overtly allowed that sort of thing, but it's still scummy IMO.
Cain is fine, though. He's done nothing wrong, ever, in his life, and I love him.

There's also Michalis, mainly for his ending in FE12. "Just kidding about the whole redemption arc stuff he learned nothing at all in the end and is still an unrepentant fascist!" Cool, don't know why I bothered recruiting him

Gheb might actually be my most hated Fire Emblem character purely because he became a fandom Funny Meme Man for a while... except all the jokes around him were just profoundly tasteless and unfunny.

On 8/31/2020 at 7:07 PM, Topaz Light said:

Peri's really commonly-disliked, but I think she really is just a profoundly poorly-executed and incorporated character. There are lots of ways they could've gone about fixing it, but the way her behavior and backstory interacts with the world and cast around her as it is in the final game is just a mess.

I completely agree. While nothing can excuse her actions, the reason behind those actions is actually compelling.

———————

After playing though Path of Radiance and most of Radiant Dawn, I can confidently say that I hate Kieran. His obnoxious obsession with honor as a knight of Crimea isn’t respectable to me. It’s irritating, especially when he pushes that goal onto others, as his supports with Oscar in PoR show. He’s continually overbearing, with no redeeming qualities from my perspective.

16 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

It’s irritating, especially when he pushes that goal onto others, as his supports with Oscar in PoR show. He’s continually overbearing, with no redeeming qualities from my perspective.

I don't know anyone like that!

23 hours ago, Benice said:

Banned because I do legitimately think you'd like Berwick Saga-It has a really good plot, with deep worldbuilding and a stellar cast, great gameplay, but it lacks the jankiness/unfairness that FE5 and FE4-1 have. Heck, I'd say it mostly outdoes even the modern games-For one, enemies are also blind in Fog of War and there aren't ambush spawns.

I think that Tellius' plot was inspired by Berwick Saga. In addition to that, every single person I've met who has played the game has loved it.

Heh...Heheh...Ha...

Anyways, I agree; I thought I would like him, as generally I enjoy the Christmas Cav archetype's dynamic, but I found that Kieran was too brash and aggressive for my tastes. I mean, he made a bad first impression when he calls Brom an idiot or something like that, when Brom is one of the characters I liked a lot from Tellius.

Anyways, I'm gonna say Mark for being detrimental to FE7. He kinda ruined Lyn in her mode, which made me sad.

Have I said Rutger already? Ah, he deserves being mentioned multiple times. As if being a one-note edgy swordlord wasn't enough, he has to go and be one of the best units in the game!

Volo. As if being a one-note edgy swordlord wasn't enough, he has to go and be one of the best units in the game!

Navarre. As if being a one-note edgy swordlord wasn't enough, he has to go and be one of the best units in the game! (Well, he's pretty good in FE12.)

Brom. As if being a one-note edgy swordlord wasn't enough, he has to go and be one of the best units in the game! (Well, he's pretty good in FE9.)

Makalov - He'd literally sell a ring Astrid gave him for money, selfish as all fuck and never changes. I think he has a death quote where he says sorry to Marcia for being a bad brother and it's just like UH YEAH.

Abel: He's clearly an adult while Est is 15 in Gaiden/Echoes, meaning she was likely younger when they met and I'm going to throw up.

Brom: Engaged his 16 year old daughter to the 25 year old Zihark and most conversations are Zihark being VERY uncomfortable with this.

Gray: He's blatantly sexist and his ending with Clair is basically he kept bothering her until she said yes.

1 hour ago, meteorblade said:

Makalov - He'd literally sell a ring Astrid gave him for money, selfish as all fuck and never changes. I think he has a death quote where he says sorry to Marcia for being a bad brother and it's just like UH YEAH.

Abel: He's clearly an adult while Est is 15 in Gaiden/Echoes, meaning she was likely younger when they met and I'm going to throw up.

Brom: Engaged his 16 year old daughter to the 25 year old Zihark and most conversations are Zihark being VERY uncomfortable with this.

Gray: He's blatantly sexist and his ending with Clair is basically he kept bothering her until she said yes.

Zihark's discomfort is probably less due to age and more due to her lack of fur.

• 4 weeks later...

I will list one character per game (that I have played).

Fire Emblem Fates: Odin

Odin is one of the most useless characters I ever encountered. He may talk a big game, but he is crap in using magical attacks even though he was a mage. On top of that, he dresses horribly.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Forsyth

Forsyth is a soldier unit who joins Alm's team underleveled. Problem is, you already have a soldier who can fufil that role -- Lukas. Lukas also has higher defences than Forsyth. The only thing Forsyth is good at is baiting witches.

Fire Emblem Three Houses: Cyril

While Cyril is has potential for great growth, I found him too whiny for my liking. So I didn't use him much.

Fire Emblem Path of Radiance: Makalov

I just couldn't stand a good-for-nothing for leeches off his siblings.

Sumia: Punching Chrom is pretty much just domestic violence and that's not exactly funny to me, in fact it's kinda horrible.

Emmeryn: She makes bad decisions, seemingly to the point where they don't even have a standing army to reasonably halt invaders, she's a terrible leader and being "pacifistic" doesn't excuse it and the game's attempts to say she's "Peaceful" are just irritating, since it's more just incompetence.

Faye: She's better than the other Yandere characters....that's not saying much and her writing is even worse in the original Japanese.

Edited by Samz707

14 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Well that sure sounds interesting. I'm curious just how much worse she could have gotten. 

Well she freaks out and can't sleep because Alm ate a piece of break she took a bite out of rather than him touching her hand and apparently Alm is now completely oblivious to her being crazy. 

15 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Well that sure sounds interesting. I'm curious just how much worse she could have gotten. 

The English version adds in the lines that suggest her new found desire to slaughter Alm's enemies is something to be concerned about.

Marianne from fe3h. Wasted potential and kind of annoying. Character arc that feels forced since such a drastic change basically happens offscreen, and she feels like pandering to people who relate to her. She barely has a personality which combined with what she’s trying to do, and more nuance and believability, would have made me like her a lot.

Peri from Fates for reasons others have stated far better than I ever could have.

Nina for being an obsessive stalker that (to my knowledge) never gets told it’s wrong or grows, and stalks people just because she thinks Yaoi is hot. Like learn to draw or something.

Hisame from Fates acts like a brat for no reason (I think, I never bothered with many of his supports)

Camilla from Fates exists for three reasons, to worship the avatar, and... well the other two are very large. I’m sure you can find them. The problem is her personality existing right worship the avatar makes it impossible to find her compelling or even likable, she’s an obsessive psycho who talks down to the avatar like they’re a dog.

...dang a lot of Fates hate. Very hot takes I know 😂

On 9/7/2020 at 11:39 PM, meteorblade said:

This is proof of why characters shouldn't have canon ages. Giving characters canon ages almost never adds anything, and it creates controversies like this. To put it this way, if you looked at Est, would you assume that she's 15 without canon telling you this? She looks like she could be anywhere from mid teens to early 20s.

On 10/3/2020 at 3:57 PM, Sooks1016 said:

Camilla from Fates exists for three reasons, to worship the avatar, and... well the other two are very large. I’m sure you can find them. The problem is her personality existing right worship the avatar makes it impossible to find her compelling or even likable, she’s an obsessive psycho who talks down to the avatar like they’re a dog.

...dang a lot of Fates hate. Very hot takes I know 😂

Camilla is quite possibly my favorite character in Fire Emblem, and I've seen her receive lots of (mostly) unfair criticism. I can see how her personality might irritate some people, and her fanservice moments can be over the top. I thought her cutscene in Birthright was rather distasteful, and I'm not against fanservice. An upward pan would have been far more tasteful, and builds tension better.

However, she has much more to her character than just fanservice. Her supports do an excellent job of revealing why Camilla is the way she is. Her behavior towards Corrin is codependent, but she's certainly not a psychopath. Camilla attaches her sense of self-worth to Corrin's happiness, and to her siblings' happiness to a degree. This is implied in several of her supports, Jakob and Silas in particular. In her support with Silas, Camilla frets over a memory where Corrin was angry with her because she made cookies but Corrin didn't get to have one. Silas reasons with her that Corrin was only a small child at the time, that Camilla should not feel guilty about this, that Corrin does not hold it against her at all and knows very well that Camilla cares. Niles taunts Camilla in his support with her, and she directly reveals why Corrin's happiness and well-being is so important to her. Camilla was neglected by her mother (and likely her father, given the kind of man Garon is) for much of her childhood, and this left scars on her heart. She became determined to keep Corrin from feeling the same loneliness, which is a very valid concern given Corrin was raised in isolation with only a few servants for company.

It seems I am one of the few people in this topic who likes Peri. She's one of my favorite characters in Fates. I completely understand why people would dislike a murderous, sociopathic borderline loli, but that's precisely what appeals to me about her. In an interesting way, she combines two opposing archetypes I’m fond of: the sociopath and the ingenue. She's ruthless and unapologetically violent, but innocent and artless at the same time. She genuinely does not understand that her behavior is wrong, and gets upset and confused when others get angry at her because of it. She seeks the approval of others, but cannot get it and is frustrated and upset that the rest of the army doesn't like her. In Corrin’s support, this is most obvious. Peri’s innocent lack of self-awareness makes her very sympathetic to me.

She’s not all bad, though. Another quality that endears me to Peri is that she’s “sweet and sour.” She might be a violent sociopath, but she has a surprisingly pure-hearted and altruistic side. In several supports she bakes sweets for the camp without expecting anything in return, and she does this for several characters, such as Kaze.

It also helps that in the present day she never kills anyone outside of battles. She did in the past, which several characters call her out on in their supports. Her murderous tendencies are addressed in different ways by different characters. Laslow tries to reason with her by comparing his experiences and hers. Jakob points out the realistic consequences of what would happen if Peri were to kill anyone in the army. Leo engages in a philosophical discussion that goes in an unexpected direction and is one of my favorites supports in the entire game. I disagree with what some previous posters have said about other characters acting out of character around her. I’d say quite the opposite. She brings out different sides of their personalities and her own, but it doesn’t feel forced or unnatural.

Edited by Magenta Fantasies
Adjusting paragraph spacing

1 hour ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

However, she has much more to her character than just fanservice. Her supports do an excellent job of revealing why Camilla is the way she is. Her behavior towards Corrin is codependent, but she's certainly not a psychopath. Camilla attaches her sense of self-worth to Corrin's happiness, and to her siblings' happiness to a degree. This is implied in several of her supports, Jakob and Silas in particular. In her support with Silas, Camilla frets over a memory where Corrin was angry with her because she made cookies but Corrin didn't get to have one. Silas reasons with her that Corrin was only a small child at the time, that Camilla should not feel guilty about this, that Corrin does not hold it against her at all and knows very well that Camilla cares. Niles taunts Camilla in his support with her, and she directly reveals why Corrin's happiness and well-being is so important to her. Camilla was neglected by her mother (and likely her father, given the kind of man Garon is) for much of her childhood, and this left scars on her heart. She became determined to keep Corrin from feeling the same loneliness, which is a very valid concern given Corrin was raised in isolation with only a few servants for company.

She is a main character, one shouldn't have to dig through dozens of supports to find out that she is not the incestuous, sadistic psychopath she is presented as during her entire screentime.

Also, I'm pretty sure they made up all the stuff in those supports on the spot. Or at the very least, they don't care how any of that stuff relates to the actual story. I mean, plenty of people have analyzed how Xander in particular is a completely different character in supports then in the story.

18 hours ago, BrightBow said:

She is a main character, one shouldn't have to dig through dozens of supports to find out that she is not the incestuous, sadistic psychopath she is presented as during her entire screentime.

Also, I'm pretty sure they made up all the stuff in those supports on the spot. Or at the very least, they don't care how any of that stuff relates to the actual story. I mean, plenty of people have analyzed how Xander in particular is a completely different character in supports then in the story.

Whether something happens in the main story or supports, it's still an important part of the character. You can't disregard supports as evidence. The vast majority of characters in Fire Emblem, for better or worse, have most their character development in supports. That's even true of main characters. E.g. in Awakening, Robin, Chrom, Lissa, Lucina and Frederick have most of their character development in their supports. This is a necessity in a franchise with very large casts in each game, otherwise the games' storylines would be bogged down with side stories for dozens of characters.

Camilla is not sadistic. In Birthright, she might come across that way as an enemy, but her kind and motherly side is very obvious in Conquest. She is as kind to her allies as she is cruel to her enemies because they endanger her loved ones. Camilla never harms innocent people or anyone who doesn't deserve harm. She has no mercy for her enemies, but the same could be said for more of the cast than not. I find it interesting that Camilla gets criticized for her merciless behavior in battle, but Reina doesn't, despite the fact Reina actively enjoys killing and spilling blood. She even says so in the first scene she appears in. However, both of them have a strong maternal side outside of battle. I feel like they'd get along very well.