Is There Any Background/Lore for Astra, Sol, and Luna?

I know that Fire Emblems legendary weapons aren't exactly famed for having deep histories, but I'm seriously curious if there is any background or lore for Valentia's supposed legendary weapons: Astra, Sol, and Luna. Unlike other games in the series, where you get the weapons over the course of the story or by filling a side objective, in both the original Gaiden and the remake, the legendary weapons are random drops from enemies that have a ridiculously low chance of spawning, and in Echoes you have to spend a few gold pieces to forge the rusted weapons. The most I could find is an award description in Echoes saying that they are relics from the distant past, and they do have similar designs in Echoes, but other than that I couldn't find anything else about them. It doesn't help that their weapon types and visual design has changed from game to game.

So again, I'm curious; Do Astra, Sol, and Luna have any lore or background somewhere, or are they really just as mysterious as their reward says?

Astra, Luna, and Sol have historically been skills (FE4 first had them, IIRC).  Were the weapons named after the techniques, or the techniques patterned after the weapon?

5 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Astra, Luna, and Sol have historically been skills (FE4 first had them, IIRC).  Were the weapons named after the techniques, or the techniques patterned after the weapon?

They were three lance's in the original Gaiden that were rare random drops from enemies. Astra had a crit rate of 50, Sol had a might of 20, and Luna avoided terrain bonuses. All three weapons also healed the wielder.

Still, it is interesting to think about whether or not they influenced the skill names in any way. I know Echoes added them to the original weapons as combat arts.

2 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

They were three lance's in the original Gaiden that were rare random drops from enemies. Astra had a crit rate of 50, Sol had a might of 20, and Luna avoided terrain bonuses. All three weapons also healed the wielder.

Still, it is interesting to think about whether or not they influenced the skill names in any way. I know Echoes added them to the original weapons as combat arts.

Huh.  Sol's the odd one out  (since it doesn't really bolster damage as a skill), but Astra/Luna are fairly close (if terrain was a huge issue in the original Gaiden).  I guess it would come down to whether or not the theory of "one world, different times" is true!

Luna and Astra seems to be special sword techniques that were passed down to the descendent of the crusader Od. Based on the users, astra was the technique of the main bloodline and luna of the branches. 

Sol being used by a random thief does not fit at all tho.

Sol certainly is less defined. There is no discernible pattern with Dew, Boyce (minor boss in Genealogy's final chapter), Shiva, Perne, and Erios all having it and not having much to do with each other.

On the other hand, to do Sol is to do the same thing as using Resire/Nosferatu; and best I recall is the only one of the three that an alternate method exists to do the same effect. So perhaps it is simply the odd one out of the three in that it's not restricted to the crusader's bloodline; and since you can manufacture HP-leeching tomes... then why not cut the middle man? Just conjecture...