Why you absolutely love your favorite characters

Ottservia

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finn in my opinion is the most underrated character in the entire series. Compared to every other character in the franchise, he grows up the most, mainly because we see him as a 16 year old and a 35 year old. Has a teen, he is young and naive to the world around him, blindly doing what ever Quan and Ethlyn ask of him. But once he is tasked with taking care of Leif and Nana for 16 years, we see this once brave young knight turn into a hardened worrisome man. Being on the run for 16 years, taking care of children that arn't even yours just because of your undying loyalty really changes you. He has arguably seen more bad things happen that most of the characters in the series. In the Tellius games, it was roughly 5 years of conflict. In Three Houses, it was just 7 years of conflict. But to Finn, it was almost 2 decades of blood shed that he had to power through.

On top of this, he is not some special person. He is not royalty, he has no holy blood, he is just some normal knight who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. But there is one theory about Finn that i really like. While he may not have been a descendant of the 12 crusaders, it is believed that the gods blessed him in another way. Not with Strength, wisdom, speed, or with skill....... But with Luck. (Queue Halo Music)

Ike: amazing queer representation in a genre that doesn't tend to do them well, fights for his friends the oppressed, generally a likeable and "unconventional" protagonist who speaks his mind.

Lyn: I like that her story is really personal and the themes of racism, family, and identity resonate with me strongly.

Edelgard: she's the best iteration of a morally questionable main character in the series as far as I'm concerned, and her backstory, motivations, and ideology make her a very intriguing character to me.

Zephiel: similar reasons as above. He's the most interesting antagonist of the GBA era to me due to seeing him as a child and how his trauma shapes his actions as king. Hope the eventual Elibe remakes expand on his characterization.

Arvis: clearly have a thing for antagonists with sympathetic goals/motivations. His shift from gen 1 to gen 2 makes him especially interesting. 

Lewyn: his free spiritedness and struggles with his inheritance and how this shapes his arc through both generations.

I'll stop there, this list was getting way longer so I had to leave some characters out.

1 hour ago, Book Bro said:

Ike: amazing queer representation in a genre that doesn't tend to do them well, fights for his friends the oppressed, generally a likeable and "unconventional" protagonist who speaks his mind.

Uh... Ike's orientation is extremely ambiguous, largely owing to the fact that he arguably never shows attraction towards anyone. He could be straight, gay, bi, ace or any that exist that I didn't mention; it's impossible to know which, and if the person that created Ike ever gave a definitive answer (and to be clear, any answer), I'd respond to him, "Then why wasn't it put in the game?" Seriously; Ike is the epitome of the Chaste Hero trope, making it impossible to know. 

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChasteHero  

in order of game release:

Roshea: he's friendly and really cute I don't see what's not to like. wait, i don't think this is the right thread to talk about the shallow reasons for my Roshea love.

Est: Cute. Somehow pulls some black magic shit to obtain Mercurius. Her bubbly personality is definitely my favorite out of the Pegasus Knights in fe3/11, as well as her appearance. She's also incredibly fun to use: with 70% growths across the board, she's guaranteed to be good, with her basically slaughtering the fuck in the arena because her base stats are pretty good for her class. Not to mention there's nothing I love more than strong pegasus knights, especially when they're short haired and pink!

Dew: holy shit how can you not love dew? the smugness, the ponytail, the money he can so effortlessly acquire, he has his OWN THEMe(!!) and he gets pursuit and an extra movement upon promotion, he can give people money because he's just that charitable and nice, and he gives aideen the warp staff out of pure kindness... idk man i love dew he's so cool

Patty: FEMALE DEW FEMALE DEW! and she's even cuter somehow! I love her relationship with Shannan it's honestly one of my favorite interactions in fire emblem. Also she gives Seliph a brave sword, that is always appreciated

Lewyn: one of my very favorites. for starters I am obligated to say that he's cute. But other than that, he's just a really well written character. I love his reaction to the Agustrian lords sending brigands to seize villages ("Oh no, that's it, that guy's gotta go.") I liked his interactions with Sylvia and Erinys a lot, and I like his whole complex where he doesn't want to start any fights within Silesse over the royal line, his feelings of cowardice and acknowledging them, his interactions with Seliph and his kids, really, just about everything with him is great.

Leif: He's the most well written lord in the series, the perfect mix of upset, naive, and desperate. Not a broken unit like the lords of today, but that just fits the game he's in. The thing about Leif is that he's the anti-ephraim (fuck ephraim) in how his schemes are bad, but instead of magically working out, it fails horrifically. In Genealogy, it's implied that nearly his entire army is slaughtered when he joins with only two units in chapter 7 and Finn claims that they suffered massive losses. I'd like to think of Thracia 776 as the non-canon good ending to Leif's story.

Shanna: Shanna is in my opinion the best unit in fire emblem 6. After that, she's also probably the cutest character in fire emblem 6, too. She's a godsend to ferry The Backpack™ across the map and with her high avoidance she usually won't get hit. Also, in the FE6 speedrun, the game is practically soloed by her. Lots of fun to watch. I guess it's also worth mentioning she carried my draft run but I loved her before that

Eirika: I don't have much reasoning for this one. She's just a lot of fun to use because she crits all the time in SS and I like her design. Her personality isn't bad, either. Think "what if Celica wasn't complete shit."

Elise: Honestly she's my favorite character in fates. Her design is pretty nice and I like her interactions within the story and her supports. Also she's a fucking saviour as a unit; the freeze staff is incredibly helpful in the early game of a game like Conquest.

8 hours ago, forsettipatty said:

in order of game release:

Roshea: he's friendly and really cute I don't see what's not to like. wait, i don't think this is the right thread to talk about the shallow reasons for my Roshea love.

Est: Cute. Somehow pulls some black magic shit to obtain Mercurius. Her bubbly personality is definitely my favorite out of the Pegasus Knights in fe3/11, as well as her appearance. She's also incredibly fun to use: with 70% growths across the board, she's guaranteed to be good, with her basically slaughtering the fuck in the arena because her base stats are pretty good for her class. Not to mention there's nothing I love more than strong pegasus knights, especially when they're short haired and pink!

Dew: holy shit how can you not love dew? the smugness, the ponytail, the money he can so effortlessly acquire, he has his OWN THEMe(!!) and he gets pursuit and an extra movement upon promotion, he can give people money because he's just that charitable and nice, and he gives aideen the warp staff out of pure kindness... idk man i love dew he's so cool

Patty: FEMALE DEW FEMALE DEW! and she's even cuter somehow! I love her relationship with Shannan it's honestly one of my favorite interactions in fire emblem. Also she gives Seliph a brave sword, that is always appreciated

Lewyn: one of my very favorites. for starters I am obligated to say that he's cute. But other than that, he's just a really well written character. I love his reaction to the Agustrian lords sending brigands to seize villages ("Oh no, that's it, that guy's gotta go.") I liked his interactions with Sylvia and Erinys a lot, and I like his whole complex where he doesn't want to start any fights within Silesse over the royal line, his feelings of cowardice and acknowledging them, his interactions with Seliph and his kids, really, just about everything with him is great.

Leif: He's the most well written lord in the series, the perfect mix of upset, naive, and desperate. Not a broken unit like the lords of today, but that just fits the game he's in. The thing about Leif is that he's the anti-ephraim (fuck ephraim) in how his schemes are bad, but instead of magically working out, it fails horrifically. In Genealogy, it's implied that nearly his entire army is slaughtered when he joins with only two units in chapter 7 and Finn claims that they suffered massive losses. I'd like to think of Thracia 776 as the non-canon good ending to Leif's story.

Shanna: Shanna is in my opinion the best unit in fire emblem 6. After that, she's also probably the cutest character in fire emblem 6, too. She's a godsend to ferry The Backpack™ across the map and with her high avoidance she usually won't get hit. Also, in the FE6 speedrun, the game is practically soloed by her. Lots of fun to watch. I guess it's also worth mentioning she carried my draft run but I loved her before that

Eirika: I don't have much reasoning for this one. She's just a lot of fun to use because she crits all the time in SS and I like her design. Her personality isn't bad, either. Think "what if Celica wasn't complete shit."

Elise: Honestly she's my favorite character in fates. Her design is pretty nice and I like her interactions within the story and her supports. Also she's a fucking saviour as a unit; the freeze staff is incredibly helpful in the early game of a game like Conquest.

Patty best FE4 dotter, don't @ me 😛

On 2/1/2020 at 6:45 PM, Ottservia said:

People don't give awakening and fates characters enough credit honestly. A lot of them are actually pretty well written and have a decent amount of depth to them if you bother to read their supports. I'll say fates is very hit or miss. Cause with fates you either get a really good character or a really bad one there is no in between.

Yes! Hard ass agree. Awakening's cast is honestly one of the best in FE imo. Here are some characters that I like:

GBA Era

Echidna from FE6- Mainly from her design and class alone. Being the first Female Hero and being being competent as a until is awesome. Can't really say much for her character, but lol GBA support system.

Legault from FE7- He reminds me a little of myself, generally being calm when it comes to tough situations. His design stands out to me as well.

L' archel from FE8- She's a very strong character because how she keeps headstrong in spite of the situation. That's really hard to do, especially irl.

3DS Era

Cynthia from Awakening- Same reason as L' archel, but bonus points for being so damn cute and even more fun.

Beruka from Fates- Love her design and how her supports showcase how different the cast is. Especially fond of her Supports with Corrin, Kaze, and Camila.

Mae from SoV- Same reason as Cynthia and L' archel.

Three houses

Mercedes- Like many, I originally just liked her for design, but she's honestly very sweet and surprisingly confident. Also super fun to use a a unit.

Lord

Hector- He doesn't take shit from anyone. Also, after watching Ghast's support science, I think I can relate with him the most. I recently lost a brother three years ago, but I was the only person in my family that actually didn't cry. I honestly felt bad for not crying, because it didn't seemed like I care, but now I understand that being composed and mourning in silence is a sign of strength. I also like how in heroes he's opposed to Roy and Lilina getting too close, because childhood friends becoming lovers usually are bad.

Well, I just saw this thread, here goes nothing.

Ares

Something about this kid is just special to me. As soon as I first saw him threaten Bramsel with his iconic "Mystletainn thirsts for the blood of men" speech, I was in love with the character. Every single time I play the game, I get chills when he flips out on Javarro. Ares is so special to me because of how his sense of honor and moral compass align, you don't often see a Fire Emblem character as prideful as Ares but you also don't often see a character as just or as tender. He was willing to hear Seliph out about Sigurd and Eldigan, he accepts that his worldview could be incorrect. His relationship with Lene is one of the best romances in all of Fire Emblem, it brings out the strengths in both of them. 

Finn

Finn stands up to more adversity than anybody else in the series. He goes from a bright-eyed teenager to the caretaker of two children at age 20 to a battle-hardened 30-something who lost his lord and then his love to the Yied Desert. His interaction with Altena in FE4 is beautiful.

Sarah

Sarah is just adorable, quirky, and funny. She has a tragic past, but doesn't let it define her. She's spunky and independent, not putting up with her caretakers and just following her literal dreams to Leif, before reciting his past back to him and scaring the tar out of him. She's just so weird, and I love her for that. She's also stupid broken in Thracia, that's cool as well.

Volke

I like Volke a whole lot. His mysterious need for money intrigues me; his role in PoR's story is part of why I love the game so much. I also love how he can show some really weird and almost cute tendencies, like when he blushes and can't accept Ike's gratitude in RD or when he realizes that he's been inadvertently leading Mist to run around in circles on the ship in PoR. 

I'm gonna talk about two of my boys: Wil and Ashe.

Wil - Let me first say, Archers are my favorite class, so that's an automatic point to Wil. At first i didn't care much for Wil, but on my second run of FE7, idk why but i just ended up loving this guy. I love his personality, i love his supports (especially with Rath), i love that he has a little backstory of being a somewhat mercenary, and the fact he's an archer! My reasoning isn't anything special but still, i love this guy. The only thing that would make him perfect is if he promoted into Bow Knight. 

Ashe - I have not played Three Houses yet so i'm using info i know from Mangs' character analysis of him and little snippets of supports i read. I'm not sure how to explain this one in detail so i'll try to make it simple. He's proficient in bows, is a commoner among nobles, which i absolutely love, had a difficult life that didn't turn him into an edge lord, has a pretty wholesome personality, and has an awesome design. what would make his design even more awesome? If he had black hair. He's practically the perfect character to me.

Edited by JAZ_2002