Why does no one love Rhea?

Dimitr

I personally think Rhea is pretty hot. I know she has done some pretty bad stuff, but that doesn’t change the fact that if you S tier with her like I did she apologises and says she loves you.

I don’t know bout you all but I think she’s cute. 

Is she attractive? Sure. But the Oedipus complex absolutely positively 100% ruins her. Even during her death scene in SS, after YOU, not Sothis, spent months looking for her, Rhea still can't see you as anything more than her mother. I'm told she says otherwise in her S Support, but I don't buy it.

And even if I didn't agree with Edelgard's cause, Rhea still tried to have my soul and body consumed by Sothis.

I LOVE Rhea I felt terrible getting the CF ending felt so wrong to me thankfully don't play that route much.....I was very happy to see her in VW and SS though I smiled especially when I S-Supported her in SS as she laments for her actions to improve with me!

Edited by Mage Goddess Lysithea

Cyril, is that you?

Anyway, I really like Rhea, but she has a few things going against her:

1. The game sets her up to be... suspicious, at the very least, given Jeralt's comments about her. Her relative aloof-ness, plus her brutal moral standards, don't especially help her.

2. Post-skip, she's not there most of the time. In CF, she's an antagonist. In VW/SS, you barely get to spend two chapters with her. In AM, you get no time with her.

3. She's the hardest character to build supports with. You can't cook with her, share meals with her, ask for Mission Assistance, or even find her lost items. The only ways to build support with her are through dialogue choices and gifts. Not to mention, unlike literally every other Byleth support, the game doesn't prompt you with a "Rhea would like to speak to you". Finally, story events force rather unforgiving windows to support with her; if you're not actively trying, you'll only reach C-rank by late part 1, when "the time for this support has passed".

4. Granted, she's hot. But she has to complicate things, by being sort of your daughter. And mother. Like c'mon Rhea.

I like Rhea, she's cool~ Wish she was more prevalent in BL. For all the talking we do about her, she's never seen again. Which isn't horrible since she isn't the focus of the route but still wish she at least appeared on screen.

"No one" is a bit extreme to say but there are things that prevent her from being more popular.

• Unless one goes deep into 3 Houses lore, it can be difficult to understand to fully Rhea's actions and motivations through the story.
  • Still there are a bunch of assumptions made from her that are told the the player, not shown. Most of it negative.
  • The whole she's your daughter/mom and her repeating that saying that turns off some. 
  • Being mostly absent in part 2 appearing near the end.
  •  She goes from two extremes with little middle ground. From " Oh Byleth, is there anything I can assist you with?". To "BYLETH YOU INSOLENT BLASPHEMOUS CHILD I WILL KILL YOU AND RIP OUT YOUR HEART WITH MY OWN TWO HANDS NOW WITNESS MY FINAL FORM REEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Despite all of that I like her, but wish she was done better.

1 hour ago, Sid Starkiller said:

Is she attractive? Sure. But the Oedipus complex absolutely positively 100% ruins her. Even during her death scene in SS, after YOU, not Sothis, spent months looking for her, Rhea still can't see you as anything more than her mother. I'm told she says otherwise in her S Support, but I don't buy it.

And even if I didn't agree with Edelgard's cause, Rhea still tried to have my soul and body consumed by Sothis.

To be fair, she really thought Byleth was Sothis.

If she would be playable in one or other way it would help a lot. I like her as I like Edelgard. And it also left a bitter taste for me going against her. I also like Elrane from Tales of Destiny 2. So its not far of for me to like this "Zealot". Even if Elrane is more the personification of a Zealot. 

Very interesting character, if part 2 didn't screw her over by making her a literal McGuffin until the last 2 chapters, I'd actually argue she's the most interesting in the game. That being said her flaws have already been mentioned above and I gotta reiterate, she's her relationship with Byleth is all KINDS of fucked up.

32 minutes ago, Enryx25 said:

To be fair, she really thought Byleth was Sothis.

But that's exactly my problem right there. She refuses to even acknowledge that Byleth exists at all. The whole point of seating them on Sothis' throne was to get Sothis to "take control" of their body. To her you always were and always will be a soulless vessel for Sothis. You can tell just by how devastated she sounds when you sit on the throne and nothing happens.

I was wondering where this got moved to.

I will give her this bit of credit: as a character, she's effective at what she does. She has aspects that are both good and bad, to drive home the moral ambiguity. Edelgard is the same way. To shout "ONE GOOD OTHER BAD" misses the point no matter where you put them. The whole point is to ask you to make hard decisions.

So, I do think Rhea is an effective character, and wouldn't change her. But the topic was asking if I like her, presumably meaning as a person, and I don't.

She is hot, so why not. She is just not my favorite waifu, but I do not dislike her. If Edelgard did not exist, then yeah, I would totally go "FOR HER DIVINE HIGHNESS RHEA!!! DIE INFIDELS!!!" or something like that.

Edited by XRay

i really love Rhea, that's why i voted for her during the whole Choose Your Legends event

this said, i can definitely see why so many tend to prefer others over her: hell, that's exactly what the game itself wants you to do

Edelgard is undoubtedly the game's frontwoman (?), they wanted you to like her even since 3H's very first trailer, also she's the one getting a Figma figure

the game wants you to feel attached to her the most, feel empathy for her and side with her, and i find it so bizarre that her route is actually the """hardest""" one to access (if you choose BE, you're most likely to get B support with Edelgard and talk to her in the monastery, so that you can choose the route you want to play, when the moment comes)

as if this wasn't enough, the game constantly tries to make Rhea look suspicious during the academy arc, showing that even Seteth sometimes questions her actions, so of course this doesn't help players like her over other characters

also yeah, the fact that she almost completely disappear during the war arc and is not playable makes her lose popularity points

but i'm sure many people out there like her as well

Edited by Yexin

I don't love her in the sense that she's a waifu (her face is a bit unsettling and her temper issues as well as her apparent Oedipus Complex are a bit of a turn-off for me), but I won't deny she's one of the best written characters to come out of Fire Emblem in recent memory.

Rhea is genuinely my favorite written character in Three Houses, if not FE overall. Analyzing her actions, alongside the actions of the church as a whole and how she shapes it, is really enjoyable once you take a full dive into her character. Edelgard has similar qualities in regards to analysis, but I find Rhea's overall character to be more interesting to me.

Honestly 3H just has a lot of characters that're fun to analyze psychologically and then review their actions along multiple supports. Felix, Lysithea and Edelgard, alongside Rhea, are the big four for me.

That said fuck the Rhea S Support dear lord. While I appreciate the acceptance of Byleth being Byleth for her character, it absolutely should've been elsewhere and not locked to this otherwise god awful option.