Should I bother with Scythe of Sariel?

Midnox

the only way to get this weapon is for Gaspar delivering the last blow to Death Knight in his and Mercede’s paralogue. I already know how mighty that weapon is in CF, but it is worth the trouble in other routes since Caspar is constantly getting OR killed? He already struggles with being doubled with random foes (again 😑). How can I expect him in getting a chance against such a powerful foe?

You can try resetting on turn 1 with a killer weapon, and equipping him with a good battalion for the job. I dunno, even with my Caspar raised up it wasn't as easy as I expected on Maddening mode. Caspar does have battalion wrath so equipping him with a low endurance battalion can raise your crit rate by 50 on enemy phase, but you have to raise his authority rank all the way to C+ on his authority weakness. Since he's Recruit!Caspar and the Paralogue ends in Chapter 15's month, that's not a lot of time to tutor, especially if you were planning to recruit him as late as chapter 12 for better stats. Getting him from E to C+ on those three months of instruction is impossible, straight up. Chapter 12 has just one week of tutoring, I think. If it's not possible to one shot, give him a guard adjutant and your best shield as well so he survives the double. I know if you have DK attack you on enemy phase and he survives he'll just canto away so don't be surprised by that. Mercedes with Group Flames or any other ranged gambit can probably help a bit too.

If none of this stuff works, then you just gotta get your guys all the way up there, try to leave DK at low health, then Caspar can last hit.

Edited by Glennstavos

Not worth the effort, the Scythe is just a ligher and more accurate Killer Lance+, the weapon seems strong in CF because

Spoiler

Jeritza is an absurdly powerful unit no matter what he wields.

The scythe also requires the rarest materials in the game to repair, a Wo Dao+ is as powerful and can be easily repaired with purchasable materials from the market.

Edited by Ari Chan

8 hours ago, Ari Chan said:

The scythe also requires the rarest materials in the game to repair, a Wo Dao+ is as powerful and can be easily repaired with purchasable materials from the market.

While I agree with you overall that the SoS isn't that great (you're doing this paralogue for the Rafail Gem), it's actually easy to repair on Azure Moon/Verdant Winds because you get thrown some in Chapter 18 / Claude's paralogue respectively and really, what else are you going to use them on? SS you have to wait until the penultimate map, though, or get lucky on auxillaries.

Edited by Dark Holy Elf

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

While I agree with you overall that the SoS isn't that great (you're doing this paralogue for the Rafail Gem), it's actually easy to repair on Azure Moon/Verdant Winds because you get thrown some in Chapter 18 / Claude's paralogue respectively and really, what else are you going to use them on? SS you have to wait until the penultimate map, though, or get lucky on auxillaries.

Chapter 18/Claude’s Paralogue are some of the hardest Maddening difficulty maps and you’ll have a hard time trying to break the Titanus/Worm thingy barriers for the material. On easier difficulties I agree that it’s not that hard to get them.

Edited by Ari Chan

4 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

CRESCENT SICKLE GANG

CRESCENT SICKLE GANG

...Ahem. For my part, I've actually found the Devil Weapons quite useful in this game. I've found a lot of success using Assassin!Lysithea with Soulblade!Devil Sword, and Wyvern Rider!Annette with Lightning Axe!Devil Axe. They delivered some one-shots that lower-might weapons missed out on (the Devil Axe+, notably, has the highest might of any non-Hero's Relic axe in the game). Scythe of Sariel is likely a better weapon overall, but I'd say the Devil Weapons+ can make a case for an Agarthium investment.

Fair enough! Definitely a class of weapons I've largely ignored that I need to take for a spin.

4 hours ago, Ari Chan said:

Chapter 18/Claude’s Paralogue are some of the hardest Maddening difficulty maps and you’ll have a hard time trying to break the Titanus/Worm thingy barriers for the material. On easier difficulties I agree that it’s not that hard to get them.

For the Titanus, I actually find breaking them to be hugely useful independent of the item drops (notably: I've never actually used the Agarthum from them, but still broke them) because it shuts off their counters with their 40+ crit which not many people can survive safely. As for Claude's paralogue, I will point out that while the map is tough in the later stages due to the boss being a tough customer and those Wyvern reinforcements, the early part is pretty breezy so I wouldn't say breaking the worms is that tough, though it's a fair point that the best way to break monsters quickly is with gambits and you'll want to make sure you have some ready for the boss.

31 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

As for Claude's paralogue, I will point out that while the map is tough in the later stages due to the boss being a tough customer and those Wyvern reinforcements, the early part is pretty breezy so I wouldn't say breaking the worms is that tough, though it's a fair point that the best way to break monsters quickly is with gambits and you'll want to make sure you have some ready for the boss.

Do the wyvern reinforcements move even if no one is in range? I didn't see it happen on Hard, but Maddening might make things different. Anyway, the real issue with that chapter imho is that eventually, one of the thieves will go and pick a fight with the Wind Caller more often than not.

They don't, but they can one-round most of your army and have incredible threat range (especially if you're simultaneously trying to keep some people out of the boss's threat range), and move immediately upon spawning. They're obviously manageable if you know about 'em.