Who are some of the most overrated characters development/character wise.

Yes, villains are just as important as the heroes. And yes, she gets far more development than the standard evilz for the lulz bad guys; that was on purpose, and the game is better for it.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Crysta said:

Yes, villains are just as important as the heroes. And yes, she gets far more development than the standard evilz for the lulz bad guys; that was on purpose, and the game is better for it.

My point is, how much of that attention does she get because she is a "in the right character" or how many are giving her attention cause she is the waifu of the gameĀ 

2 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Because we can see her motives, and what she's like when she's not being "just the bad guy"?Ā  Character development helps!

We also can see her motives are false at worst, and misguided at best

Not only that but she got her motives from TWSINT, the people who want Rhea, Sothis, Flayn or anyone like them dead and would have no problem lying to Edlegard at all

Ā 

1 minute ago, AvatarofDiscord said:

Not only that but she got her motives from TWSINT, the people who want Rhea, Sothis, Flayn or anyone like them dead and would have no problem lying to Edlegard at all

Ā 

. . .you've done a fine job of evaluating her as the audience.Ā  Except the cast doesn't have the same knowledge as the audience.

10 minutes ago, AvatarofDiscord said:

My point is, how much of that attention does she get because she is a "in the right character" or how many are giving her attention cause she is the waifu of the gameĀ 

She gets the attention - both positive and negative - because she is a pivotal character in the story and one that the narrative attempts to humanize. You can try to dismiss it as "you just like her cuz she's a waifu!" but you'd be wrong.

As for being 'misguided', sure. Do we have problems with character flaws now, or are those only valid when they're attached to the heroes we're meant to like?

Part of evaluating a character PROPERLY is understanding whether or not their logic makes sense in the context of what they're expected to know.Ā  Attempting to justify why a character's motivations make no sense because you, the audience, knows better means that your opinion is highly misinformed.

5 hours ago, AvatarofDiscord said:

ā€œSOMEONE DOESNT LIKE MUH WAIFU CAUSE SHE IS SHIT? IMBPOSSIBULLLLLL THEY MUST HAVE PLAYED BL FIRST!!!!!!ā€ Reeeeee

You can dislike a character without presuming that people only like her because she's a "waifu" you know.

1 hour ago, AvatarofDiscord said:

Ā 

Same as Rhea and Dimitri though. That's the thing about FE all the mains are heavily flawed characters, even Claude isn't a perfect sweetie-pie.

As said before Edelgard isn't a truly heartless monster and same with the others. I just feel like her choices, decisions, stubbornness and pride are too frustrating for her to be a interesting or highly praised character, but others are going to think different of course.Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Eurydice

2 hours ago, Eurydice said:

Same as Rhea and Dimitri though. That's the thing about FE all the mains are heavily flawed characters, even Claude isn't a perfect sweetie-pie.

As said before Edelgard isn't a truly heartless monster and same with the others. I just feel like her choices, decisions, stubbornness and pride are too frustrating for her to be a interesting or highly praised character, but others are going to think different of course.Ā 

Ā 

They are not just flawed as people, they are flawed as characters. Dimitri switch personality in a second, Rhea does not do much despite being the most important character in the lore and Edelgard's plan just does not work in many key instances, such as trying to persuade her friends by saying "ain't gonna explain shit".Ā 

3H has the same problem of RD and Fates. It tries to make allĀ playable characters sympathetic at allĀ times, while also trying to never have the player feel bad about their decision unless they go out of their way to do so.Ā 

1 hour ago, AyraTsareena said:

I don't like the word overrated because nowadays it's just used as a way to say someone dislikes something. So I don't find any character "overrated".

That said, leave my man Sylvain alone. =(

Agreed, but for me itā€™s just a coincidence that I dislike Edlegard along with saying she is overrated

That being said, there are some fe characters I like despite them being overratedĀ 

6 minutes ago, AvatarofDiscord said:

Agreed, but for me itā€™s just a coincidence that I dislike Edlegard along with saying she is overrated

To be fair, I'm having trouble imagining a scenario where one could dislike a popular character while also thinking they deserve their popularity.

3 minutes ago, Sid Starkiller said:

To be fair, I'm having trouble imagining a scenario where one could dislike a popular character while also thinking they deserve their popularity.

Well, some peope have the attitude "if they like shit they deserve shit". And other than that there is aknowledging personal biases. Right now i hate paladins because they are poorly balanced, but i aknwledge that most people like things that are a strong, so if they judge units that way paladins deserve all the love they get.

30 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

Well, some peope have the attitude "if they like shit they deserve shit". And other than that there is aknowledging personal biases. Right now i hate paladins because they are poorly balanced, but i aknwledge that most people like things that are a strong, so if they judge units that way paladins deserve all the love they get.

Fair enough. My immediate thought to such a scenario was more like "What can they possibly see in that asshole?"

47 minutes ago, Sid Starkiller said:

Micaiah is still one of my least favorite characters in FE.Ā  But if others see value in her, and can explain it beyond her fashion sense, then it's a matter of me either admitting that not everyone agrees with me, or concluding that everyone else is wrong.Ā  In this case, the former scenario is more likely.Ā  Still don't care for Micaiah, but I think her popularity is about right for what she does.

13 hours ago, Flere210 said:

They are not just flawed as people, they are flawed as characters. Dimitri switch personality in a second, Rhea does not do much despite being the most important character in the lore and Edelgard's plan just does not work in many key instances, such as trying to persuade her friends by saying "ain't gonna explain shit".Ā 

3H has the same problem of RD and Fates. It tries to make allĀ playable characters sympathetic at allĀ times, while also trying to never have the player feel bad about their decision unless they go out of their way to do so.Ā 

Yeah there's the problem of having a character that is very well written in concept on paper, but then that piece of paper gets crammed into a restricted calendar plot structure, support system, an expendable classic mode cast, and who knows whatĀ production behind-the-scene changesĀ that we are ignorant of--leaving behind a crumpled, torn narrative that needs some detailing, but then the company needs to ship the game out sooner rather than later so it is not as cleaned up as it could be despite having excellent, experienced writers that could do it.

Edited by Holder of the Heel

Linhardt. He's kind of a huge asshole most of the time and most of his supports aren't even good. They're more just people praising how he's actually really smart, and his general behavior being enforced/justified. I can't say he's ever really challenged since in my opinion most of the time he sounds like a teenager who thinks he's smarter than he actually is. His laziness also feels like a trait that is over emphasized much like Raphael's obsession with muscles and eating, as well as Bernies pessimism. It gets really irritating since it ends up feeling like he's one note and thatĀ he doesn't properly develop.

Also, I honestly don't really like Hilda. She's pretty annoying with how much focus she gets in Golden Deer despite contributing very little. Her supports also aren't really anything special either. Just a very nothing character that people like for almost no reason. Came out of 3H more interested in her brother than her even though he never appeared.

Edited by pik3rob

On 2/11/2020 at 11:19 AM, Sid Starkiller said:

You haven't played CF yet, have you?

EDIT: just for the record, not trying to change your mind on her. You're free not to like her. That's why I'm only addressing this one point.

I have and the only good things i can say about Crimson Flower is that Hubert is in it. If Dimitri, Rhea, Dedue, ect. are all dead, what is there to redeem. Arvis is able to redeem himself because he see's seliph, knows who he is, and knows that he is the only person who can save the world from a true and greater evil. Edelgard is that greater evil.

I'm not trying to be rude. I've heard the arguements, that he is flawed, frail, bold, ect. which are all things i want in a character. However, her methods are just straight bad when compare to Claude's. I can see why people like Arvis, but i can't wrap my head around why people love Edelgard.

On 2/11/2020 at 11:04 PM, Crysta said:

She gets the attention - both positive and negative - because she is a pivotal character in the story and one that the narrative attempts to humanize. You can try to dismiss it as "you just like her cuz she's a waifu!" but you'd be wrong.

As for being 'misguided', sure. Do we have problems with character flaws now, or are those only valid when they're attached to the heroes we're meant to like?

But why does Edelgard have a lot of people who dislike her and find her overrated while the same type of villain, being Arvis, is widely loved. Arvis is the pivotal reasonĀ why the events of Genealogy and Thracia took place (unless you want to blame CiguynĀ or Victor which is fine too i guess).Ā 

50 minutes ago, Stephano said:

I have and the only good things i can say about Crimson Flower is that Hubert is in it. If Dimitri, Rhea, Dedue, ect. are all dead, what is there to redeem. Arvis is able to redeem himself because he see's seliph, knows who he is, and knows that he is the only person who can save the world from a true and greater evil. Edelgard is that greater evil.

I'm not trying to be rude. I've heard the arguements, that he is flawed, frail, bold, ect. which are all things i want in a character. However, her methods are just straight bad when compare to Claude's. I can see why people like Arvis, but i can't wrap my head around why people love Edelgard.

I'll have to come back to this because I have a lengthy quote to look up first, and since I'm at work, on my phone, with 18% battery, it's kinda difficult. Not ignoring, just give me a few hours.

42 minutes ago, Stephano said:

But why does Edelgard have a lot of people who dislike her and find her overrated while the same type of villain, being Arvis, is widely loved. Arvis is the pivotal reasonĀ why the events of Genealogy and Thracia took place (unless you want to blame CiguynĀ or Victor which is fine too i guess).Ā 

It's because Arvis is a man.

I'm kinda kidding but mostly not. You can't pretend that people don't have a tendency to judge women's actions harsher than men's. And since I've legitimately seen people say "you just like her because you want to bang her," I don't feel bad throwing people's prejudices in their faces.