Who are some of the most overrated characters development/character wise.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, SpiceMan said:

I agree that Sylvain can be a pretty bad person, and the way he treats women isn't excused by his past actions. That's why I like him. It's refreshing to have a playable character who is a decent person at heart, have their negative features being portrayed so strongly. I do think he's overrated in the sense that lots of people try to justify him when he isn't justifiable. He's smart, cynical, and knows what he's doing and why it's wrong to do so. But he does it anyway because he feels he needs to hurt them before they hurt him. And I find that fascinating, that one of your units can be that morally flawed while still being mostly a good person to others. He's more realistic than other fe characters because he's not perfect and real people aren't perfect.

Oh, I totally understand and like your point of view because I am the same with Ingrid: she gets bashed for being a racist while I find it interesting as it gives her room for development, which she gets in her supports with Dedue. I still cannot like Sylvain, but I am also glad that we got a vide variety of well-written background characters with interesting stories.

I would also like to add that while I like Edelgard (I dig a lord who is not all perfect and expected to be liked by each and every player, I initially expected her to be the "right" choice, this Miss Perfect), I think that she, too, is a little overrated. Just a little. I think she's very interesting, but I find it impossible to excuse some of her decisions and actions. I like all three lords, but El takes the cake here in terms of being overrated. Maybe I'd also mention Claude if I tried hard enough to be nitpicky but I am way too biased here, I did not expected to like him and I adore him so I think his popularity is well deserved.

21 hours ago, SpiceMan said:

I agree that Sylvain can be a pretty bad person, and the way he treats women isn't excused by his past actions. That's why I like him. It's refreshing to have a playable character who is a decent person at heart, have their negative features being portrayed so strongly. I do think he's overrated in the sense that lots of people try to justify him when he isn't justifiable. He's smart, cynical, and knows what he's doing and why it's wrong to do so. But he does it anyway because he feels he needs to hurt them before they hurt him. And I find that fascinating, that one of your units can be that morally flawed while still being mostly a good person to others. He's more realistic than other fe characters because he's not perfect and real people aren't perfect.

For my own overrated character, most have been said already so I'll nominate Petra. I think she's incredibly boring and she's way too perfect. Her only negative trait is not speaking the language well (which gets annoying quick) and nothing else. She's smart, kind, hardworking, capable, determined, curious, forgiving and mature while still being 15 and everyone loves to praise her for being so amazing. The only supports I like of hers are Hubert's, Caspar's and Ashe's because its funny. The others I have to end up skipping when I unlock them because I can't stay invested. 

This sums her up pretty well. 

She's too unrealistically perfect for her age that makes it really uninteresting.
For chars around her age that have notable flaws in their personality or their way of thinking she comes off as a borderline mary sue who just doesn't have real weaknesses as a character besides her unable to properly speak english which comes off as a gimmick more then a flaw since it doesn't change at all in 5 years. Unlike other chars who had flaws that made them grow she barely changes as a character, and remains almost as static as Raphael regarding her character bar the situation of the story. 

She was my 3rd choice of the most overrated character imo lords aside.

Edited by End of time

I know it's not popular but Mercedes doesn't really change. If you are talking about development...she is who she is and the time jump does nothing for her. That said...she is someone I immediately went out of my way to recruit because as far as a healing attacker you can't top her (note: on my first GD run right now, so maybe Marianne will be better). I can agree with the Petra and Bernie criticisms...but to be fair I never got Bernie last time so this is my first runthrough and she is mainly at C going into B supports, so maybe that opinion will change. Also, in terms of growth/development Flayn doesn't change that much. Basically copy everything I said about Mercedes, minus being a good attacker and it is the same.

Edelgard, hands down.

I know depending on which route you play first determines what you think of Dimitri and Eledgard, but Edelgard i don't think is redeemable, Claude and Her have roughly the same goals: they both hate/question the church and want to live in a world without prejudice and where crests don't matter. However, while Claude tries to go about this logically and methodically while trying not to step on the toes of Dimitri and Edelgard, Edelgard is just "F*** it, kill everyone". I just can't get behind this.

As much as i dislike Edelgard, she and Arvis from FE4 have a lot in common, both have been persecuted for the blood/crests they have and both had VERY rough childhoods. Arvis was tricked however into thinking killing Sigurd was the final solution and eventually regretted his decision later on in his life. Edelgard has no redemption, no reflection on the thousands she has murdered. She gets what she wants after murdering everything in her way. RIP Dedue

Edited by Stephano

25 minutes ago, Stephano said:

Edelgard has no redemption, no reflection on the thousands she has murdered.

You haven't played CF yet, have you?

EDIT: just for the record, not trying to change your mind on her. You're free not to like her. That's why I'm only addressing this one point.

Edited by Sid Starkiller

Black Eagles: Honestly Edlegard is overrated, yes she’s sympathetic, she it’s tragic that nobody would take her side

But her side was asinine to begin with, because she was attacking a side that did nothing to warrant enemies.

Blue Lions: Felix, he is pretty much as asshole to most of the cast

Golden Deer: I would say Claude, but Lysithea is honestly just mean and arrogant a lot (I’d argue she could be Hayato from fates if he was a girl)

Church: Shamir just doesn’t click with me, but she is the most popular of the bunch

Question to the few who called Marianne overrated due to the her "creepy fanbase" Why only single her out like that? Why isn't Bernie and Dimitri being brought up too despite them having similar issues of having a "creepy fanbase" who want to fix a broken person? They're fanbase are notably bigger too so you see a lot more of that from them.

--------------

Edel is my #1 choice for overrated character. I have posted my opinions on how I feel about Edelgard multiple time throughout multiple boards. I have heard that if you don't play Edel's route first you won't get to like her because you didn't form any attachments to her, but that's just baloney, if the only way to like a character is through firstism bias than that says a lot about how terrible they are.

Lysithea. Yeah she has a tragic backstory just like Edel, boo-hoo. It's the only thing she has going for her as a character though. Outside of that she's just another Hayato (comparing her to Ricken would be too kind) but with a meaner streak which is rarely, if ever, warranted.

Sylvain might be too early to judge since I still haven't seen anything from him except for Byleth's B support and his dialogue around the monastery but all I have seen from him is just negative. The only one that I'm seeing treating someone like an object is Sylvain himself coupled with threats to Byleth due to jealousy.

44 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Edel is my #1 choice for overrated character. I have posted my opinions on how I feel about Edelgard multiple time throughout multiple boards. I have heard that if you don't play Edel's route first you won't get to like her because you didn't form any attachments to her, but that's just baloney, if the only way to like a character is through firstism bias than that says a lot about how terrible they are.

I played her route first and I don't like her. And I wish people would stop trying to spin someone's route playing order as a reason to why they dislike Edelgard. As if there no possibility someone played all routes and just....didn't like her? 

54 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Question to the few who called Marianne overrated due to the her "creepy fanbase" Why only single her out like that? Why isn't Bernie and Dimitri being brought up too despite them having similar issues of having a "creepy fanbase" who want to fix a broken person? They're fanbase are notably bigger too so you see a lot more of that from them.

--------------

Lysithea. Yeah she has a tragic backstory just like Edel, boo-hoo. It's the only thing she has going for her as a character though. Outside of that she's just another Hayato (comparing her to Ricken would be too kind) but with a meaner streak which is rarely, if ever, warranted.

Sylvain might be too early to judge since I still haven't seen anything from him except for Byleth's B support and his dialogue around the monastery but all I have seen from him is just negative. The only one that I'm seeing treating someone like an object is Sylvain himself coupled with threats to Byleth due to jealousy.

Lysithea has alot going for her character, it's called development which is active in most of her supports that make her actually grow up unlike Ricken and Hayato who are pretty much the little jrpg anime boy who wants to look like a man and look extremely arrogant about it (Hayato) without change (Both)

I personally understand, but find it funny that chars who have nothing really going on for their char flaw or development wise (Petra) don't receive similar criticism yet end up being among the most popular.

Edited by End of time

2 hours ago, Rose482 said:

I played her route first and I don't like her. And I wish people would stop trying to spin someone's route playing order as a reason to why they dislike Edelgard. As if there no possibility someone played all routes and just....didn't like her? 

“SOMEONE DOESNT LIKE MUH WAIFU CAUSE SHE IS SHIT? IMBPOSSIBULLLLLL THEY MUST HAVE PLAYED BL FIRST!!!!!!” Reeeeee

8 hours ago, Stephano said:

Edelgard, hands down.

I know depending on which route you play first determines what you think of Dimitri and Eledgard, but Edelgard i don't think is redeemable, Claude and Her have roughly the same goals: they both hate/question the church and want to live in a world without prejudice and where crests don't matter. However, while Claude tries to go about this logically and methodically while trying not to step on the toes of Dimitri and Edelgard, Edelgard is just "F*** it, kill everyone". I just can't get behind this.

As much as i dislike Edelgard, she and Arvis from FE4 have a lot in common, both have been persecuted for the blood/crests they have and both had VERY rough childhoods. Arvis was tricked however into thinking killing Sigurd was the final solution and eventually regretted his decision later on in his life. Edelgard has no redemption, no reflection on the thousands she has murdered. She gets what she wants after murdering everything in her way. RIP Dedue

Edel had her chances to stop and redeem, countless chances, though her determination and ambition was just too stubborn and she always refused to stop. She puts her dreams first, always. Even if it means hurting others. Edel puts herself first always, unless maybe the professor is on her side.

Claude and Edel almost being on the same wavelength makes Edel look like a egotistical fool. Claude refuses to start war knowing that it's just going to create bloodshed and misery and tries to find the best option around it. Edel just heads straight into war, other people's feelings be damned.

She does have some reflection on it though, but she refuses to let emotion show due to her trauma. " No the Edelgard that shed tears is dead". 

I'm not supporting her or hating on her btw. Though I do agree that she's highly overrated. She's more annoying than deep imo. Though at the same time, she's not a heartless monster. Edel wants to cry and reflect, but she also believes that side of her died many years ago. 

But I think that's why many people like her because she's so flawed, that and because she's thirsty for Byleth, and it's easy to self-insert yourself as Byleth. But I think she's too stubborn, too ambitious and too self-serving to be worshipped the way that she is. 

Just now, Eurydice said:

Edel had her chances to stop and redeem, countless chances, though her determination and ambition was just too stubborn and she always refused to stop. She puts her dreams first, always. Even if it means hurting others. Edel puts herself first always, unless maybe the professor is on her side.

Claude and Edel almost being on the same wavelength makes Edel look like a egotistical fool. Claude refuses to start war knowing that it's just going to create bloodshed and misery and tries to find the best option around it. Edel just heads straight into war, other people's feelings be damned.

She does have some reflection on it though, but she refuses to let emotion show due to her trauma. " No the Edelgard that shed tears is dead". 

I'm not supporting her or hating on her btw. Though I do agree that she's highly overrated. She's more annoying than deep imo. Though at the same time, she's not a heartless monster. Edel wants to cry and reflect, but she also believes that side of her died many years ago. 

But I think that's why many people like her because she's so flawed, that and because she's thirsty for Byleth, and it's easy to self-insert yourself as Byleth. But I think she's too stubborn, too ambitious and too self-serving to be worshipped the way that she is. 

Personally I feel like the best path is Silver Snow, you have to stop Edlegard for a personal reason, but also have to deal with the fact that your students who were originally from the empire, just basically told Edlegard to go fuck herself (That and Flayn x Ferdinand is so fucking adorable)

1 minute ago, AvatarofDiscord said:

Personally I feel like the best path is Silver Snow, you have to stop Edlegard for a personal reason, but also have to deal with the fact that your students who were originally from the empire, just basically told Edlegard to go fuck herself (That and Flayn x Ferdinand is so fucking adorable)

I've yet to play Sliver Snow, but that sounds hilarious. 

5 minutes ago, AvatarofDiscord said:

They didn't literally tell her to go fuck herself, but if I was one of the students I would

Seriously, I recommend Silver Snow route, its fun

No, it's okay, I got you !

Okay will start up the SS route next.

Now I want to see a meme of Flayn or somebody telling Edel to get fucked lmao. 

Edited by Eurydice

3 minutes ago, Eurydice said:

No, it's okay, I got you !

Okay will start up the SS route next.

Now I want to see a meme of Flayn or somebody telling Edel to get fucked lmao. 

Tbf Edlegard did say that people such as Flayn and Seteth should not rule because they were 

Spoiler

related to Rhea

Spoiler

Can we not turn this into another Edelgard debate/hate thread.

Disliking a character and thinking a character is overrated are two very different things, but it feels like people are not interested in appreciating that difference.

15 minutes ago, Crysta said:

Can we not turn this into another Edelgard debate/hate thread.

Disliking a character and thinking a character is overrated are two very different things, but it feels like people are not interested in appreciating that difference.

That's implying that someone can't hate Edlegard while also thinking they are overrated

11 minutes ago, AvatarofDiscord said:

That's implying that someone can't hate Edlegard while also thinking they are overrated

They can, but I have yet to see a compelling reason for overratedness beyond not liking the character itself. Feel free to provide one, though.

I don't think she is because the story line is fundamentally driven by her, and her popularity/notoriety properly reflects that.

1 minute ago, Crysta said:

They can, but I have yet to see a compelling reason for overratedness beyond not liking the character itself. Feel free to provide one, though.

I don't think she is because the story line is fundamentally driven by her, and her popularity/notoriety properly reflects that.

Overrated: Having a higher opinion than is deserved

1: Her fanbase is the biggest despite being the most hated of the lords
2: She is literally a copy and paste of Alm from Shadows of Valentia in terms of personality, just with added "Ow the Edge"

The problem with your second statement is that Dimitri and Claude all also drive the plot just as much during their storyline when they are heroes, while Rhea also had the backstory covered

She is praised for "doing nothing wrong" and even has defenders of her actions, despite them being a more bloodied path of Claudes, she gets more popularity than deserved.

Claude and Dimitri drive their own routes and little else. Rhea disappears for like half the game in three routes. She is present and a driving force regardless of which route you choose.

Haven't played Shadows of Valentia yet, but from what I've heard Alm is your standard shounen hero. She is not.

I don't really care that she has some silly defenders. You probably shouldn't, either.

Edited by Crysta

1 minute ago, Crysta said:

Claude and Dimitri drive their own routes and little else. She is present and a driving force regardless of which route you choose.

Haven't played Shadows of Valentia yet, but from what I've heard Alm is your standard shounen hero. She is not.

I don't really care that she has some silly defenders. You probably shouldn't, either.

Yes but she drives the plot because this is the VILLAIN of the game

You hardly see this kind of attention to a villain save for Lyon or Black Knight

Heck I dont think Manfroy, Gharnef, or Grima has such attention as Edlegard