Raphael asks you: Strength or Skill?

Fennel

You’re the professor and you must answer this thoroughly.  Which one is better strength or skill?  Explain full FE nerd-like.  🙂

edit:  I noticed Raphael asked a silly question so I went back to him for clarification, and his response was not helpful at all...  because there is no “skill” stat... there’s “skill level”...

And I’ll let you decide which version to answer:

I think he meant either:

1. Which one better: strength or dexterity?

or

2. Which one better: strength (or Mt??) vs hit rate?

I don’t think he meant literally Strength vs Skill... as in what allows one to use weapon or mounts, heavy armor, battalions...

But if you’d like to answer literally Strength vs Skill that’s ok too... I mean it WAS his original question.

Edited by Rioma

XD but both are important if you don’t have enough skill you won’t hit and if you don’t have enough strength you won’t do enough damage XD a 0 damage crit is still 0 unless you’re in jugdral or valentia but even if you can 1rko you can’t kill them if you can’t hit them

I thought Rolf and Boyd went over this over a decade ago...

Anyway, both. Look at Gonzales, who's the perfect example of what can happen if you overspecialize. He can hit hard, but his low skill and axe-lock make him unreliable.

49 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I thought Rolf and Boyd went over this over a decade ago...

Green-haired archers are timeless, you know.

If I have to choose one, Skill, unless it means that str is practically nonexistent.

A close friend of mine once said: "I only need to hit you once Dex nerd!"

I guess if we're looking at raw power versus raw technique, I'd go mostly for skill-based combatants, but an axe to the face is an axe to face regardless, so either or.

I honestly did not know the answer to this when I first posted.  It’s a very interesting question if you think about it.

I think I’ve figured a definite answer but am not totally sure yet.

The interesting version of the question is Mt vs Hit.  Mt as actual effective damage after Defense vs calculated Hit after Avoid.

0 Mt is equally bad as 0 Hit.

Consider the extreme cases:

1 damage, 100% hit

max damage or even just 100 damage, 1% hit.

Here’s the kicker:  Final boss Normal difficulty in certain route has 107 HP... 99 turn limit...  hrrmmmmmmm 🤔 

Edit:  And while this seems to suggest Mt > Hit in the extreme case, if one is counterattacking during enemy phase, that’s 99 turns * 2 phases * 1 damage = 198 damage.  Still... there’s a tougher boss with at least 3 bars Health, but I can’t find anywhere exact hp it has.  Am almost certain it’s over 198...

Edited by Rioma

There's no stat a forged weapon can fix. Well, there's no forged weapon that can't patch up someone's strength or accuracy.

For Three Houses, I would say STR is slightly more important since supports can raise your hit rate.

But crits sure are tempting to say DEX.

I'd say 1 point of strength is better than 1 point of dexterity. The tough thing is, it's obvious when a point of damage is the difference between chunking and killing. But it's not as obvious when two points of hit are the difference between hitting and missing.

Also a strenth point has a 1-in-5 chance of offsetting a point of weight, thus potentially improving Attack Speed by 1. So that's cool.

The game even seems to recognize strength as more important than dexterity, measure for measure. At least, I assume that's why Queen Loach gives +2 Dex, whereas Oghma Wolverine (?) gives only +1 Str.

3 minutes ago, whase said:

If you go into extremes, I'd take 100 dex and 0 str over 0 dex and 100 str. Add lethality and you're set. =P

Unfortunately, Lethality requires dealing damage to work. Too bad.

3 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Unfortunately, Lethality requires dealing damage to work. Too bad.

It does? Oh well, guess I learned something new today. XD

(Makes lethality even less reliable than I already thought too.)

Edit: Also, changes my opinion completely, strength at least offsets weight of equipment to be a dodgetank.

Edited by whase

10 minutes ago, whase said:

It does? Oh well, guess I learned something new today. XD

(Makes lethality even less reliable than I already thought too.)

Edit: Also, changes my opinion completely, strength at least offsets weight of equipment to be a dodgetank.

The moral of this story: overspecializing is bad.

5 minutes ago, iavasechui said:

Tell that to Matthew he lethality killed a general he couldn’t damage in his first fight as an assassin 

Different game, different rules. Also, it was more reliable in Blazing Blade because enemies had zero luck.