Jump to content
Deathcon

Most Underrated Characters

Recommended Posts

I saw a another thread similar to this about overrated and decided to do the flip side as I don't see a thread like this, though admittedly I have been looking for less than a minute. This can be about character or unit wise. So I will go first.

Ingrid: I find her unusually hated and the major reason seems to be her dislike of the Duscur people in her Dedue support. People are often forgetting the context, Duscur at least in part killing her fiance, her friend's parents, and many others, and she even comes around to liking Dedue at least in their support and if I remember correctly can even get a romantic ending. Personally I feel Jill racism was much worse than Ingrid's and she came back around and is now loved by the fandom. So I can't exactly see why Ingrid is so hated from what I seen?

Ashe: Some consider him the worst archer in the game, though he has a pretty hard competition, I don't think he is especially if you count guys like Ignatz, Mercedes, and Hanneman. He is a good archer in the early game especially in his starting house the BL and by mid game give him a crit ring and he can crit anything and everything. He even took down the final boss of BL's first bar for me after the shields were destroyed.

Anyone that's it for me for now so I will like to hear your opinions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ashe is one of the best characters (writing-wise), and having a flying thief who can snipe is damn handy!

I'm gonna throw in a vote for Ignatz.  He may not hit the hardest, but he's not gonna miss.  He can also hack out the smoothness if the situation calls for it (see: Mercedes).

Edited by eclipse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deathcon said:

Ingrid: I find her unusually hated and the major reason seems to be her dislike of the Duscur people in her Dedue support. People are often forgetting the context, Duscur at least in part killing her fiance, her friend's parents, and many others, and she even comes around to liking Dedue at least in their support and if I remember correctly can even get a romantic ending. Personally I feel Jill racism was much worse than Ingrid's and she came back around and is now loved by the fandom. So I can't exactly see why Ingrid is so hated from what I seen?

Agreed, the hated for Ingrid in that regard is really dumb. Not only is it understandable where she gets it from, but the entire support is dedicated to her overcoming it and becoming more open-minded. That's an example of very good character growth. 

In any case, some other characters:

1. Ignatz- Honestly, characters who feel trapped between their own desire and those of their parents really resonate with me. I really enjoyed his interactions with others, particularly with how shy he gets and doesn't like to impose upon others which I personally find very relatable as I'm kind of similar in that regard. Pretty good in combat too as he typically ends up as my 2nd best sniper (only behind Bernadetta).

2. Ashe- One of the best written characters and an all-around lovable dork.

3. Alois- I'm going to consider him underrated due to his extremely low poll and CYL rankings. Character-wise, I LOVE this guy. He's entertaining every time he gets on screen and I love his overall character and backstory. Makes for a solid Warrior too.

4. Raphael- Okay, he's one-note. No arguing about that. However, what really endears me to him is just how well he complements so many characters. Examples being how he actually makes Bernadetta come out of her shell better than others or how he tries to learn animal language to connect with Marianne. The guy may not be the deepest but damn it if he isn't likable and a great partner. Pretty damn tanky in combat too so that's nice. 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Agreed, the hated for Ingrid in that regard is really dumb. Not only is it understandable where she gets it from, but the entire support is dedicated to her overcoming it and becoming more open-minded. That's an example of very good character growth.

I'll give you that, but what bothers me about her is how she demands everyone conform to her standards. I felt so bad for Raphael in their supports, and her support with Claude is just awful.

Anyway:

Caspar: God I love the little guy. Yes, he's kinda the typical hotheaded shonen protagonist, but he really genuinely gives a damn about those around him. And he does come to understand that the reckless approach leads to trouble in the long run, even if he can't fully let go of those tendencies.

Alois: If I were actually Byleth, nothing would get done because I would spend all day competing with Alois for best (worst?) dad jokes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ignatz: The poor thing gets a lot of hate for reasons I've never really understood. He has about all the ''good boi!'' and ''must protect!'' traits that make Ashe so popular and his dorky looks are more charming than ugly. His low key take on social anxiety should strike a cord with a lot of gamers. I hear it said he's boring but I'd say you can certainly do worse. Personally I find Ignatz so consistently nice, soft and vulnerable that his low popularity is a bit ''mean''. As a unit he's also somewhat underrated. So far he's the only one of the ''default archers'' (Ashe, Bernie, Iggy) that never was a burden on my team. 

Alois: He's great. Super friendly, super sweet and very funny. Despite this I barely hear anyone ever talk about him. 

Caspar: Punchy boy has a reputation of being a bad unit and I don't get it. He struggles for perhaps only the first two chapters and that's it. After that he consistently pulls his weight. That's a whole lot better than units who start decent but can't keep up later in the game. 

Hanneman: Very interesting character in term of his backstory and philosophy. Its also really sweet how Hanneman is the kind devoted dad to a lot of students. In some cases he's even their....daddy. The sly fox.

I already see Ashe mentioned a lot but from what I've seen he's always been consistently popular. 9th spot in CYL and every time he's mentioned I always see a large group going ''Precious son'' and ''must protect!''

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I already see Ashe mentioned a lot but from what I've seen he's always been consistently popular. 9th spot in CYL and every time he's mentioned I always see a large group going ''Precious son'' and ''must protect!''

I think it kind of depends on perspective. Generally speaking, he and Annette seem to be the least-talked about of the Blue Lions.

People talk about Dimitri, Felix, Sylvain, and Ingrid all the time, and Mercedes has all the "anime mom" jokes. So in a lot of conversations, Ashe and Annette seem to left as the odd ones out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In terms of narrative, Lorenz. You would not believe Fodlan has any issues with its nobility/crests if this guy did not show up as the nobility mouth piece. Ferdinand? Psh, he's far too easygoing and open minded. There's also a moment where Lorenz proves to Ferdinand in their support that trickle down economics doesn't work. What the hell? I have trouble convincing people of that in 2020.

In terms of gameplay...Lorenz again. Bad bases but holy hell ragnarok is the best nuke spell and he gets it at C, frozen lance is the best (equippable) combat art, and it's nice for your combat mage to have the bulk to survive the frontlines, providing Thyrsus Hit/Avo boosts and the occassional Recover spells. I totally think he'd be a worse mage if he had physic in place of recover. I will grant you that Lorenz is pretty bad in AM and SS, since he's absent for three more chapters than other recruited students. My Lorenz rejoined at a whole 3 levels under the rest of my crew, but thankfully was still level 30 and still occassionally nailing the one shot on ragnarok without a single stat booster on maddening.

Edited by Glennstavos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

In terms of narrative, Lorenz. You would not believe Fodlan has any issues with its nobility/crests if this guy did not show up as the nobility mouth piece. Ferdinand? Psh, he's far too easygoing and open minded. There's also a moment where Lorenz proves to Ferdinand in their support that trickle down economics doesn't work. What the hell? I have trouble convincing people of that in 2020.

In terms of gameplay...Lorenz again. Bad bases but holy hell ragnarok is the best nuke spell and he gets it at C, frozen lance is the best (equippable) combat art, and it's nice for your combat mage to have the bulk to survive the frontlines, providing Thyrsus Hit/Avo boosts and the occassional Recover spells. I totally think he'd be a worse mage if he had physic in place of recover. I will grant you that Lorenz is pretty bad in AM and SS, since he's absent for three more chapters than other recruited students. My Lorenz rejoined at a whole 3 levels under the rest of my crew, but thankfully was still level 30.

Honestly, Lorenz would be a heck of a lot better if there were more physical/magic hyrbid classes. He's clearly meant to be a hybrid, yet you kind of have to end up choosing one over the other unless you get him up to Dark Knight which is the only time he can fully utilize both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Honestly, Lorenz would be a heck of a lot better if there were more physical/magic hyrbid classes. He's clearly meant to be a hybrid, yet you kind of have to end up choosing one over the other unless you get him up to Dark Knight which is the only time he can fully utilize both.

At least after the dlc he can go Mage knight at level 20 instead of waiting until 30. But yeah I'd like more hybrid options that are earlier and better than the ones we have now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three Houses only, no?

Definitely Hanneman. As somebody who does not enjoy Three Houses all too much, Hanneman is a bit of an anomaly. I dislike the game's artstyle, yet he has my top "old magical person" design in the series. I find the cast to be somewhat overrated in terms of depth, yet he's a very pleasant character that's fun to watch and interesting to explore; he isn't as obsessed with crests as I thought he'd be - in fact, he's a damn great person whose objective is selfless and noble, and who is always there to help others even if doing so does not directly contribute to his research. He's also a mage (my favourite type of unit in these games), and a quite fun unit to use, with an absurd magic base and an excellent spell list that allows him to put a mean dent on the enemy.

All of these factors combined made him go from being "my favourite character because he has the only design I like" to "my favourite character because he's just so much better than everyone else in every way it's not even funny" (in my eyes, of course).

Of course, Hanneman suffers from not being a cute young waifu or a meme. He's not proteccable, or sosexy, or relatable, so the community at large completely forgot he exists. Which is a damned shame, if you ask me. At the very least, I expected more memes to be made out of his rivalry with Manuela.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iggy gets a lot more flak than he deserves. I can understand not finding him interesting or exciting, but he’s the least offensive thing ever.

I like how blunt Cyril is but his Lady Rhea obsession predictably turns people off. Leonie is my sister of another mister and I think people read into her Jeralt hero worship waaaay too much.

In general fans are less keen on characters fixated on characters who are not Byleth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Crysta said:

Iggy gets a lot more flak than he deserves. I can understand not finding him interesting or exciting, but he’s the least offensive thing ever.

I like how blunt Cyril is but his Lady Rhea obsession predictably turns people off. Leonie is my sister of another mister and I think people read into her Jeralt hero worship waaaay too much.

In general fans are less keen on characters fixated on characters who are not Byleth.

The sad thing is that Leonie gets too much flak for just one support. She actually has a lot of great supports and the only one where the Jeralt worship comes out is the Byleth support, yet people judge her based on that one support alone. Pretty sad.

As for Cyril, I think he might have been a little better if they tapped into his backstory more. I actually think his background as a war orphan and being mistreated by House Goneril is actually very interesting, but sadly they don't really get into that as much as they should. It's also pretty unfortunate that they don't really give him much of a character arc or goals he wants to achieve. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Of course, Hanneman suffers from not being a cute young waifu or a meme. He's not proteccable, or sosexy, or relatable, so the community at large completely forgot he exists. Which is a damned shame, if you ask me. At the very least, I expected more memes to be made out of his rivalry with Manuela.

I actually ship them for it. They bicker like an old married couple, why not have them be an old married couple?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

As for Cyril, I think he might have been a little better if they tapped into his backstory more. I actually think his background as a war orphan and being mistreated by House Goneril is actually very interesting, but sadly they don't really get into that as much as they should. It's also pretty unfortunate that they don't really give him much of a character arc or goals he wants to achieve. 

I think what Cyril needed was some screentime with Rhea. Right now his devotion seems rather one sided. If we'd see Rhea return his affection and dote on him it might be seen as endearing instead of annoying. Claude does say Cyril speaks with Rhea just about every day and is one of the rare people to do so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Crysta said:

I like how blunt Cyril is but his Lady Rhea obsession predictably turns people off.

I hated Cyril at first but I've realized that was just because I hate his Ashe and Mercedes supports, they're so boring. And as a first time Blue lioner that was all I saw of him. After using him more I realized his Golden deer and Church supports are actually pretty damn good, especially Hilda and Lysithea. So I like him now, but then again I don't dislike a single playable/supporting character so that doesn't say much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black Eagles: Linhardt or Caspar. Caspar is always called a bad unit for some reason or another but easy access to Wyvern Lord and/or War Master has me think otherwise. His character isn't too bad either. He's a typical shonen protagonist, but is played to comedic effect. He's a funny character and I find his supports enjoyable. Linhardt is great as a unit and a character. I especially liked his support with Dorothea. Linhardt is used to people talking ill of him and has decided to continue doing what he loves regardless. He also has Warp. So I'm voting for Linhardt.

Blue Lions: Ashe. In my opinion, he's the character best suited to be the dancer on Blue Lions because everyone else has a clear combat/support role. He can be Lara 2.0 and I love that. He can also be a flying thief like a raven from PoR, so that's something. His character development is pretty great as well, and can bring out sides of characters not seen in their other supports (such as Ingrid, Dedue, Petra).

Golden Deer: Stuck between Ignatz and Leonie, but I'll go with Ignatz. Character-wise, I found him really relatable and he's one of the few students at Garreg Mach not really interested in warfare.He just wants to paint, but has to live up to his family's expectations. He's also a timid fellow, but becomes more assertive as time goes on. Also, "let me paint you a picture" is one of the best crit quotes period. He's not the biggest damage dealer, but he has no problem grabbing that MVP rank once he becomes a sniper/Bow Knight. Leonie is also underrated as a character, and I think it's because people don't really understand the nuance of her character. I didn't like her much at first either, but I found myself liking her more on subsequent playthroughs. As a unit she's not underrated, and I think most people recognize the fact she's great in every physical class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cyril's lady Rhea obsession kinda makes sense considering he sees her as a mom and he's practically still a child (I mean he's like 13 at the start of the game so he got brought into the monastery when he was younger). People who say Cyril is just a crazed Lady Rhea fan and a 1-note character probably didn't view his supports which barely talk about Rhea (I think the only supports that talk about Rhea are with Seteth and Shamir I think, also in regards to Hubert/Edelgard's relationship people quickly love to point out his support with Ferdinand to show he's more than just a Lady Edelgard fan). He does have wasted potential since they could've talked a lot about his backstory within the story dialogue, especially in VW route but they didn't. Honestly, he's fine as a unit too since people are quick to dismiss him (specifically BL/VW Cyril), he joins early enough and it's really not hard to feed him kills in Hard mode (didn't use Cyril in Maddening so idk). Also nice he can reclass into 2 of the best classes in the game with his talents and his very early access to Point-Blank Volley is nice.

Ignatz is honestly fine as a character, I know a lot of people who passionately hate him because of his design (I mean in the Korean FE3H poll he was like #2 most hated character in 3H iirc) and think he's ugly (he got the glow up at least). He's a bit boring for sure but his character is interesting and can apply to people irl where you have to decide between pursuing your passion or pursuing what other people want you to pursue. Ignatz as a unit is alright, has a lot of early utility and makes a pretty solid and accurate Archer which is nice.

Hanneman isn't just a bootleg Dorothea, and I think he's better than her in Maddening mode (vice versa in Hard mode, though they are interchangeable honestly). His character is also very interesting character with his views on crests and nobility in general. His support with Manuela is also 10/10 and has a very cute ending too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ingrid:  To be honest, I just like her.  I like her (Japanese) voice actress, I like her strength as well as how shy and vulnerable she can be.  I like that she isn't perfect and has a lot of flaws, but she also strives to better herself and grow.  And I like that she originally dislikes the people of Duscur.  It makes sense, narratively.  The game is trying to craft a realistic world with lots of different people with many different viewpoints and if we're supposed to believe many people from the Kingdom hate the Duscur people, we need to see that in some of the characters.. and see that even if they're filled with anger (regardless of how misplaced it is), they're just people living their lives and mourning those they lost.  Ingrid feels realistic, then.  She's not my favorite character and I don't think she's the best fighter, but I appreciate her place in the narrative.

I think it's worth saying, also, that the hatred for her because she comes off as vaguely "racist" is laughable and makes ZERO sense.  People often love the villainous characters or the cutthroat ruffians or the evil schemers, though I assume you don't condone real world murder, villainy and the like.  And yet the bad guy characters are often some of the most popular.  How is this?  Because enjoying a well crafted character and in a FICTIONAL story has nothing to do with real world beliefs and politics.  Liking Ingrid doesn't mean you like racism, just like how liking Byleth or Jeralt or Edelgard or Dimitri doesn't mean you love the idea of people being slaughter by the dozen.  It just means you appreciate the narrative, generally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ashe is a kind-hearted character that deserves more love, he had a rough past but he doesn't let it taint his heart and soul. Ashe wants to help others, like how he got help in his childhood, and that's just really sweet.

Bernie always gets too much hate that I've seen, it's understandable that some may find her annoying, but she also has a good reason to why she's so on edge around other people and a bit strange. 

Also I don't think that Iggy is ugly at all ? He's like a cute mint-green haired Harry Potter. Poor Ignatz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

3. Alois- I'm going to consider him underrated due to his extremely low poll and CYL rankings. Character-wise, I LOVE this guy. He's entertaining every time he gets on screen and I love his overall character and backstory. Makes for a solid Warrior too.

😄

Alois was such a hot topic character in the beginning when everyone thought he was a gay romance option but as soon as everyone found out it wasn't an actual romance option his reception went cold. Personally I didn't really like him at first because he was too 'dad joke' for me, but his supports show how much he's actually accomplished and came up from. 

 

Also agree about Raph. I don't like him as much as Caspar, but he's actually pretty great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eurydice said:

Bernie always gets too much hate that I've seen, it's understandable that some may find her annoying, but she also has a good reason to why she's so on edge around other people and a bit strange. 

Plus, she develops in pretty much every support. She doesn't completely overcome her anxiety, but she pretty much becomes good friends with everyone she supports by the end of it, and generally her Part 2 conversations portray her being a lot more comfortable.

I can understand finding her C-supports repetitive, but I hate it whenever I see people claim she never develops or changes because it's simply not true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

The sad thing is that Leonie gets too much flak for just one support. She actually has a lot of great supports and the only one where the Jeralt worship comes out is the Byleth support, yet people judge her based on that one support alone. Pretty sad.

As for Cyril, I think he might have been a little better if they tapped into his backstory more. I actually think his background as a war orphan and being mistreated by House Goneril is actually very interesting, but sadly they don't really get into that as much as they should. It's also pretty unfortunate that they don't really give him much of a character arc or goals he wants to achieve. 

I noticed that, too, with Leonie. Her other supports that I have seen have little to do with her Jeralt worship. There's quite a bit to the character that I really like, actually. She's a bit stingy, but she also isn't wasteful when it comes to using things (in the supports, I mean).

In terms of gameplay, she's tailor made for being a Bow Knight, but that's fine with me, since bows are really useful in this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Raphael is one of the most annoying characters in the game, but I'd say he is redeemable solely because of his support convos with Flayn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caspar is one I hear a lot that is a bottom 3 unit but he was an absolute monster for me super RNG blessed and was as good as Petra and Edelgard on my BE run and they were both busted af, soloing anything and bosses with ease. 

Raphael..I can see why people put him.. when he gets QR and FIF he is a machine. 

Ignatz and Ashe.. archers are kinda eh til they get to sniper and that class is broken.  Bernie ashe or ignatz is great in that class.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...