Most Underrated Characters

Deathcon

Ingrid is actually one of my favorite characters I don’t understand why She is so hated. Her story is very emotional, she has to make so many decisions to help her families financial situation and really is a good character. I used her as a falcon knight with an evasiveness ring and she was good for kiting and was untouchable. In the last battle I used her for the final 3 or so attacks because I knew any other characters would die (she didn’t get hit once) she also made the final blow look awesome when she dodged and came back in and killed Edlegard with the spear of Assal.

On 2/2/2020 at 11:19 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

Caspar: Punchy boy has a reputation of being a bad unit and I don't get it. He struggles for perhaps only the first two chapters and that's it. After that he consistently pulls his weight. That's a whole lot better than units who start decent but can't keep up later in the game. 

On 2/2/2020 at 2:05 PM, Dandy Druid said:

Caspar is always called a bad unit for some reason or another but easy access to Wyvern Lord and/or War Master has me think otherwise.

3 hours ago, tonymack21 said:

Caspar is one I hear a lot that is a bottom 3 unit but he was an absolute monster for me super RNG blessed and was as good as Petra and Edelgard on my BE run and they were both busted af, soloing anything and bosses with ease. 

While there's no accounting for RNG, Caspar is not, on average, a particularly good unit.

Compare him to Ferdinand. Caspar's only stat advantages on Ferdinand are +1 base strength and +2 base luck (same growth, in both cases, so that's the biggest the gap gets). Caspar wins HP/Mag/Dex growths by 5% each, but Ferdinand has better bases in all three. Meanwhile Ferdinand has better speed (2 base +5% growth), better def (5%), and better charm (3 base +15% growth). He also has a better talent list (lances, riding, budding talent armour, not having an authority bane).

This is a problem because Ferdinand isn't some sort of stat god; in fact his stats are generally pretty average. Ferdie is considered a good unit because of his personal skill and/or Swift Strikes, neither of which Caspar gets.

To be clear, Caspar is still usable. Nobody in this game is that bad, but between his bad start and a talent list that doesn't have much going for it outside of axes (something every physical Eagle except Bernadetta gets), it's easy to see why many players drop him.

2 hours ago, Ancalagon1331 said:

Ingrid is actually one of my favorite characters I don’t understand why She is so hated. Her story is very emotional, she has to make so many decisions to help her families financial situation and really is a good character. I used her as a falcon knight with an evasiveness ring and she was good for kiting and was untouchable. In the last battle I used her for the final 3 or so attacks because I knew any other characters would die (she didn’t get hit once) she also made the final blow look awesome when she dodged and came back in and killed Edlegard with the spear of Assal.

She's hated because "muh racism" and they choose not to acknowledge her character growth throughout her supports with Dedue. Those people would flip shit if they met Jill

3 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Nobody in this game is that bad, but between his bad start and a talent list that doesn't have much going for it outside of axes (something every physical Eagle except Bernadetta gets), it's easy to see why many players drop him.

Bernadetta uses Bow, learns Encloser and has no authority weakness so it's infinitely easier to train her up.

Caspar just offers nothing special later on while being one of the worst unit early game, as a Wyvern he's worse than every other option, has 0 utility and comes with an authority weakness. 

Edited by Ari Chan

3 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

While there's no accounting for RNG, Caspar is not, on average, a particularly good unit.

Compare him to Ferdinand. Caspar's only stat advantages on Ferdinand are +1 base strength and +2 base luck (same growth, in both cases, so that's the biggest the gap gets). Caspar wins HP/Mag/Dex growths by 5% each, but Ferdinand has better bases in all three. Meanwhile Ferdinand has better speed (2 base +5% growth), better def (5%), and better charm (3 base +15% growth). He also has a better talent list (lances, riding, budding talent armour, not having an authority bane).

This is a problem because Ferdinand isn't some sort of stat god; in fact his stats are generally pretty average. Ferdie is considered a good unit because of his personal skill and/or Swift Strikes, neither of which Caspar gets.

To be clear, Caspar is still usable. Nobody in this game is that bad, but between his bad start and a talent list that doesn't have much going for it outside of axes (something every physical Eagle except Bernadetta gets), it's easy to see why many players drop him.

10 minutes ago, Ari Chan said:

Bernadetta uses Bow, learns Encloser and has no authority weakness so it's infinitely easier to train her up.

Caspar just offers nothing special later on while being one of the worst unit early game, as a Wyvern he's worse than every other option, has 0 utility and comes with an authority weakness. 

. . .time and place, you two.  Check the topic title!

58 minutes ago, Poem2Self said:

She's hated because "muh racism" and they choose not to acknowledge her character growth throughout her supports with Dedue. Those people would flip shit if they met Jill

I think some of them have.  Double standards suck.

Annette and Ingrid for the Blue Lions. I generally see a lot of love for the other BL students, including Dedue and Ashe, but I don't see a whole lot for Annette or Ingrid. I see a lot of "Annette is boring" and "Ingrid is racist" stuff, and I think they're both a bit deeper than that.

Raphael and Ignatz for the Golden Deer. Raphael can be a bit one-note, sure, but he's an entertaining character with some genuinely good supports, and Ignatz is just a super relatable character that's too overlooked.

Alois for the non-student cast. His popularity dropped like a rock when people found out he wasn't gay or bi, and that's a shame. He's one of the most entertaining characters in the whole game, in my opinion.

Black Eagles is the only house where I feel like everyone is generally rated about where they should be.

Ingrid is actually one of my favorites and she’s a great character. Her backstory about her financial issues really touched a nerve on me.

The amount of hate she’s been getting is unwarranted and unnecessary.

Ingrid is a wonderful character- just wished that she would've stopped ''cleaning up'' Slyv's mess and let the boy take some responsibility for his own actions. Not that he really cared much lol

Edited by Eurydice

Ignatz and Cyril easily come to my mind first. I think they're both wonderful, good boys and they did absolutely nothing wrong. 

Ingrid I'd mention, but I have somewhat mixed feelings about her: I enjoy her character, I most certainly do like her, but at first I found her horribly boring and it took me some time to actually like her. Plot twist is, I like her for the very flaws people tend to bash her for. She gets over her xenophobia (not that she has no reason for it, she does and that's what makes her interesting, I hate oh-so-perfect characters more than I would ever dislike a character with serious flaws), and yes, she can be quite insufferable at times (DO YOU WANNA BUILD A SNOWMAN, BERNADETTA?), but that makes her human. Is she my favorite? No. But I like that for a minor character she is so nuanced. In a very odd way, she kind of reminds me of Hermione, especially Hermione in the very first book.

Now, I am not sure if Lorenz is underrated or not but I love him. I unironically adore Lorenz, I enjoyed S-Supporting him, and his character growth, especially for a minor character, is impressive. He starts off as a total goofball who, however, wants to do what's right for his people, and post-timeskip he holds himself accountable for all the silly things he did in the past. I honestly didn't expect to love him as much as I do.

My first choice would be Annette. Sure she doesn't have a deep or tragic backstory completed to some of the other students in academy but she makes up for it with her optimistic attitude. I blame more-so with her spell list, decent but limited is how I would describe her.  

2 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

My first choice would be Annette. Sure she doesn't have a deep or tragic backstory completed to some of the other students in academy but she makes up for it with her optimistic attitude. I blame more-so with her spell list, decent but limited is how I would describe her.  

Annette is pretty much my 2nd favorite girl in the game. I honestly like the fact that she's the closest the game has to a "normal girl". 

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I was under the impression Annette was well liked by just about everyone. But if she isn't then yeah she's definitely underatted. I think the phrase ''cute as a button'' applies perfectly to her and she got her deadbeat dad to make her more interesting. Not a terribly good unit though. 

I've seen a lot of love for her on reddit and many people use her catchphrase "I'm your girl" or some variation of it. That being said, it's not indicative of the entire membership of the r/fireemblem nor is the reddit indicative of the entire fandom.

I would say in terms of popularity, she's middleground. I've seen no one hate her, but I haven't seen people says she's their favorite so I guess she could be considered "underrated". I do feel like she's overlooked here on SF though.

6 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I was under the impression Annette was well liked by just about everyone. But if she isn't then yeah she's definitely underatted. I think the phrase ''cute as a button'' applies perfectly to her and she got her deadbeat dad to make her more interesting. Not a terribly good unit though. 

She's kind of one of those characters that seems decently liked but is rarely talked about. Compared to the other Blue Lion girls, people seem to rarely bring her up.

As a unit, she's really screwed by how Three Houses handles it's classes. She comes across as a bit of a hybrid in many ways, but has no class that can take full advantage of all her talents.

23 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Well, I’ve used him plenty of times before starting recruiting other students in my firth playthrough. Over half of academy fase. He was my biggest deadweight because he got constantly doubled. Having found out about the Scythe of Sariel outside CF, tried training him again... he got the same problems yet again

Idk if I'd even consider Bernadetta underrated just because there are some people that don't like her. Edelgard and Dimitri each have a hate fanbase that will follow you around like the plague and tell you otherwise if you say anything close to positive about them (y'all know who you are), but they are far from underrated. Bernadetta still gets lots of love and calling her underrated because people have expressed their dislike for her (her ratio of people that like her vs. dislike her is probably skewed very favorably to the like side) is a big stretch.

Another character that rarely gets talked about I feel (like Annette), is Mercedes. She's probably known as a pacifist and while she does have that very innocent aura to her (her being a faithful woman and being a canon healer/bishop), her bluntness and straightforwardness to characters like Sylvain and Lorenz was a pleasant surprise, also her kinda lowkey guilt tripping Hilda unknowingly was funny (there's quite a few shy, innocent, devoted female healers in the series and they all act the same except a few like Serra, Lissa, Elise, Maribelle, and Malliesia come to mind), so it's nice to have Mercedes stand out among the crowd if you dig into her supports. Though I don't think she's that underrated character wise, personally think she's like kind of in between and gets talked about here and there but, I have had people discuss how they feel she's a doormat and a pushover.

Edited by Lunarly

On 2/2/2020 at 9:20 AM, Deathcon said:

Ingrid: I find her unusually hated and the major reason seems to be her dislike of the Duscur people in her Dedue support. People are often forgetting the context, Duscur at least in part killing her fiance, her friend's parents, and many others, and she even comes around to liking Dedue at least in their support and if I remember correctly can even get a romantic ending. Personally I feel Jill racism was much worse than Ingrid's and she came back around and is now loved by the fandom. So I can't exactly see why Ingrid is so hated from what I seen?

Also people seems to ignore the context that Ingrid (and others) didn't have first hand/fourth wall breaking information like players do

All they heard was distorted accounted from witness and survivors, with governmental propaganda. Ingrid was also very young when it happened, so she likely heard it only from her parents. One really shouldn't judge their reaction using information not available to them.

Edited by Timlugia

I think Felix as a Mortal Savant is underrated. His magic doesn't blow you away, but it makes him one of the most versatile of the front line characters you can have instead of a pure assassination sword machine. It feels like overkill to say Ignatz, but I have had him straight up take out armored units on his own when properly equipped...and he wasn't even the best swordsman on the team by far. Just because I like things in threes (I could list more), I know Petra is well thought of, but I still think it is impossible to appreciate how versatile a unit she is. I didn't know any better and made her a Wyvern Lord after detouring through assassin territory, and she was still killing it, especially when she and Cyril were out there teaming up together as my OG wyvern squad (poor Seteth just watched from the sidelines).

I think at the end of the day I like versatile units. I think that is what I appreciate about this game...you can make these crazy characters that shouldn't exist in this style of game if you want to put the work in.