FEH Revenue Drop!!!

XRay

10 minutes ago, Etheus said:

For my part, it isn't the fanservice nonsense that makes me spend money. It's the actual canon new heroes. You know, the reason why this game is a Fire Emblem game to begin with.

But they chose to alienate me by reducing New Heroes to a crawl, and now they may be encouraging me to quit entirely with the FEH pass.

The trend of having a seasonal banner every single month for almost 3 straight years definitely stopped me from spending as much money as I otherwise would have.

5 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I do have to wonder though how much of the feh are of the degenerate Otaku variety. I know I'm one of them but I'm curious. There a way we could do a large scale survey or something?

I'm a physician who's married with two kids, plus I'm just a weirdo in general.  Not sure how many people like me there are in the community.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Etheus said:

For my part, it isn't the fanservice nonsense that makes me spend money. It's the actual canon new heroes. You know, the reason why this game is a Fire Emblem game to begin with.

But they chose to alienate me by reducing New Heroes to a crawl, and now they may be encouraging me to quit entirely with the FEH pass.

We've been getting plenty of new heroes so how is your final paragraph true?

1 minute ago, Icelerate said:

Before a couple months ago, every other banner was seasonal, which cut in half the rate of adding new units, plus in year two, they were very bad about adding alts to units already in game to the "normal" banners.

1 minute ago, Icelerate said:

At release, New Heroes came in approximately biweekly. This is the rate that I feel is appropriate. Now the typical release cadence for New Heroes is half of that, and we're much more likely to see the monthly New Heroes replaced with Special Heroes than the other way around.

48 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

I definitely agree that fanservice alone isn’t the reason for FGO’s success. All of what you said is correct. But there are tons of people in FGO reddit or other FGO forums with stories of how the spent $400 or more to get a character. Sometimes not even getting them. And here’s the most famous one:

And @Ice Dragon, I get that FGO’s rates are much much worse that FEH, but even so the amount of money people spend on it is insane.

"They [My Parents] don't know how much I've spent in the game"

Well, I bet they know by now!

2 minutes ago, silverserpent said:

I know that when the game first came out I spent...ehhh...a LOT. Now, I'm barely spending $30 a month, and that's being lenient. Easily a tenth or less of what I used to spend per month, at any rate. My mobile spending is down in general.

Ditto, I had months where I was easily spending over $100 per month.  I think the last time I spent any money on this game whatsoever was back in September or October.  Went mostly F2P, and have managed to save up about 650 Orbs now

6 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Ditto, I had months where I was easily spending over $100 per month.  I think the last time I spent any money on this game whatsoever was back in September or October.  Went mostly F2P, and have managed to save up about 650 Orbs now

650? I keep talking on saving for Dimitri...but then they trot out a shiny hero I like enough to toss my orbs at. I'll probably be able to keep my February orbs, but we'll see what happens in March.

3 hours ago, SuperNova125 said:

I do like Heroes despite its problems and I hope that it won't shut down any time soon. Isn't it still Nintendo's best selling mobile game? 

Yeah, according to the Yahoo Finance article, it is their top mobile game right now.

3 hours ago, Hilda said:

One of the biggest mistake they ever made was allowing more then 1 Dancer in a group. It undermines most of the tactics and degrades the game into a dumb shelf.

I do not think multiple Dancers/Singers is that bad. It is not very different on the Enemy Phase side by simply using a super tank team. Both teams involve one or two combat units with tons of support units.

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

I'm not sure if stat inflation on the older units is a good idea, but I'm not sure how ELSE to deal with the mess of stat distribution that some of the older units have.  Or skills, for that matter.  I'm still waiting for a time where Defiant Res is strictly better than Brazen Atk/Res.

I think it might be okay if they just gave all the old units a stat boost to update them to gen IV standards and tell themselves to not increase BST again, so basically giving themselves a clean slate. I think gen III was the best balanced in terms stat distribution as armor units had enough stats to compensate for their low mobility, but infantry and fliers have just enough to make them worth using, while cavalry can scrape by with minimaxed stats to still be useful but not overpowered.

Gen IV's stat buffs to make infantry more appealing has the bad consequence of requiring everyone else to have a stat buff too, even for ranged cavalry. I think gen IV stats are still salvageable if they just stop increasing BST and bring old units in line with the new BST.

3 hours ago, Lord-Zero said:

- The “story” is an embarrassing mess. And now, we have fairies into the mix...

- Next to none character interactions. Sure, FB was a nice start but they haven’t really improved on it except giving us more generic headbands.

I do not think the story is messy enough! Fates had a lot going on, and while it was not great and it was messy, there is at least enough stuff for people to discuss about. Heroes' story is just too short to really have long discussions. I feel like we are just reading a very short draft of story that is dragged on over the course of a year.

I think if they made Forging Bonds permanent, they can slowly build a nice backlog of additional stories for new players to go through, so they have more to catch up until they reach the point where veteran players are and experience the mind numbing wait for a very short chapter each month.

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

It releases new characters at a much, much slower rate, helped by the fact that it doesn't have a large number of existing characters in its backlog from other games in the franchise. This significantly decreases the rate that existing roles get saturated and results in each new release feeling more novel.

I think Heroes' role saturation is self inflicted though. We are extremely saturated when it comes to sword infantry, which I guess is something that is hard to avoid due to the prevalence of sword units in the main series, but they are also over saturating lance cavalry and lance flier, while there is a dire need for more lance infantry. Axes also suffer from a lack of representation, with a huge lack of axe cavalry and axe fliers.

In terms of the popularity of characters, F/GO's advantage is that almost all of its new characters are original characters, meaning it is fully within their liberty to make their characters popular rather than to build off of existing popularity. Furthermore, the actual format of the game as a whole, a visual novel, is one of the best formats to actually do character building and make players care for their characters, and they will often even hold back from releasing a character until after the story chapter the character appears in has been out for some time in order to build up hype (even if the character is temporarily usable during the story).

Also, the visual novel format of the game is generally more appealing to the female demographic, which helps broaden the player base.

But I think Fire Emblem Heroes can still achieve at least a quarter to a third of the amount of FGO's story with our huge amount of maps, we just simply need to add more reading to each map. We have so many maps that if we fit one or two minutes of reading onto each map, we can greatly increase the bulk of the story. Currently, there is so little reading to do that only the first and last map of each chapter has any meaningful amount of story in it, and if we are lucky, there might be some additional story lines on the third map.

We do not have to exactly copy FGO, but I think we can at least emulate the amount of character and story development by giving players more stuff to read, and hopefully that would help broaden the appeal.

Plus, reading is good for you. It is not the same as reading a book, but it is still reading!

Also, it actually has plentiful husbando bait.

Yeah, I am not really sure why they are not adding more. Female gamers are no slouches in spending either. Even if they do spend less, it would still make sense to try to make more effort to convince them to spend more. You have to start somewhere to grow a female gaming culture that encourages spending.

3 hours ago, Dylan Corona said:

Hopefully this pass will bring in more money. FEH is really, imo, the best moblie game right now. I mean, they give out so many orbs and freebies. I don't want it to go haha.

I hope so too. I am glad you feel Heroes is being generous, but I think it still needs to do more for new players to feel welcomed too. New players are missing out on three years worth of Grails and Orbs, and they are missing out timegated resources like Refining Stones and Sacred Coins too.

2 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

there are some thirsty guys out there, who undoubtedly spend money on a png file they could just find online

I am pretty sure there are plenty of thirsty girls out there too. Like, it is a little baffling to know that Intelligent System realize Ninas exist in real life, but they refuse to really acknowledge their existence by catering to them more.

2 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

player bases tend to grow and shrink with a lot of variance for many different reasons, what most game companies care about is both attraction and retention to their game, since we really don't know the average lifespan of a FEH player since it's still kind of a young game. I'm beginning to feel like FEH is reaching a point where they care more about keeping the recurring players than attracting new ones since older players have so much more of and advantage over the new ones, FEH is becoming less accessible to new players for 2 reasons, complexity of the game and scarcity or resources for newer players

It is kind of a shame that they are not trying to attract new players into the game with more beginner packs and being more new player friendly. Players are in a spending slump right now, and if they are having trouble trying to get each player to spend more, they can try to get more total players instead.

2 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Feels like just the natural lifecycle of a game really. How many MMOs aren't in decline after their third (or indeed first) years? That said, I haven't ever touched another gacha, so I don't know how it compares to its competitors, but I imagine the vast majority of them fall even sooner. Obviously some do better as well, as per the examples quoted in this thread, but y'know, even assuming FEH is one of the few most successful gachas of all time doesn't mean we should expect it to still be rising at this stage of its life. The one or two exceptions are just that: exceptions.

I guess it is natural, but it just feels kind of sad to see revenue dip this low though. I know Fire Emblem is not going away anytime soon like Advance Wars, but seeing the huge drop in sales makes me a little nervous and reminds of me of what Fire Emblem's fate could have become if it were not for Awakening and Fates.

2 hours ago, Etheus said:

Yeah, they could use some help to expand their appeal a little more by giving more options so everyone feels like they can spend money on something. And the Feh Pass was pretty poorly executed.

1 hour ago, ZeManaphy said:

Really? This is the most popular mobile game? What about Mario Kart Tour?

According to the Yahoo Finance article that I linked earlier, Mario Kart Tour is doing well in terms of debuting downloads. I am less confident in their revenue generation, since they were not bragging about it and did not even mention any sales numbers, unlike the the download numbers. Mario Kart Tour is still relatively new though, so I will give a couple more months before expecting any sales numbers.

Honestly, I do not have much faith in Nintendo's mobile ambitions and efforts right now, so I think it is a good idea to hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

The company lost trust with me pretty early, which is just as well. I've only ever spent about $100 on the game, and of that $100, the only purchases I made after Ayra-gate was a 3-orb pack for OCD reasons (completing a circle on the first ever Legendary banner) and the BK value meal. Being completely unfamiliar with the genre before the game's release, I suppose you can say it took me several months to figure out just how ephemeral "quality" units are in this game.

I don't mind subscription games if the core of the game is based around that subscription. I played WoW for over a decade, and am currently subscribed to Zwift. But the subscription fee pretty much needs to be all-you-can-eat instead of just some bonus stuff around the edges.

2 hours ago, Rezzy said:

I wonder why they didn't do more of those BK packs, they were nice and cheap, and I can't imagine it hurting their bottom line.

Exactly if more such packs came more people would buy it. Honestly most other gachas I have seen have better begginer packs. Heroes's is pretty outdated. The problem is that new players are lacking in resources so why not have new "begginer" packs that offer let's say a newer grail unit, few orbs and some Sacred coins/grails. 

2 hours ago, Rezzy said:

I wonder why they didn't do more of those BK packs, they were nice and cheap, and I can't imagine it hurting their bottom line.

I was super excited about this possibility when the BK pack first came out, but no, apparently what we need are $50+ New Years bonus packs with a single Hero in it. I can barely afford to scrape money together once every quarter to buy the next No Game No Life novel at $8~, how the frick am I supposed to afford a $75 pack so I can get my one Legendary Roy? I like Roy, but not that much.

8 hours ago, XRay said:

Yeah, on the brightside, it is still a nice amount of money. I am just not sure if the drop had to be that bad though. 47% drop looks horrible! Like, if I was a developer, I would be like panicking if I would keep my job.

Oh it's definitely a percentage to be very concerned about. The only thing they can do is move some of the staff from the mobile game to the mainline series. Gacha games don't age well unless they're FGO or Granblue Fantasy. It's impressive it's still active. Had they been more generous, probably more people would've stuck around.

I've been F2P since the start, although I might buy the pass for one month if it's a character I seriously adore.

according to the internet each download that fire emblem heroes had rakes in an average of 40$ that's pretty high for a free to play game.

the only one coming close is dragalia lost at 35$ for each person below that it's 5$ for animal crossing or 50 cents for all other mobile apps including mario kart tour. pretty impressive really. so either pretty much all players spend some money on this game or some people spend a pretty high amount to compensate for the free players

https://www.pocketgamer.biz/asia/news/72153/mario-kart-tour-revenue-reason-for-optimism/

I'm kinda mixed on feh pass

Maybe if one of my favourite characters like eirika   has a resplendid alt I'll splurge for that one month  IS systems knows us to well. 

that cib copy of sacred stones doesnt seem that pricy anymore with the feh pass of almost 10$ a month.

[ video ]

[ / video ]

Edited by Ephraimx

isn't it normal for a mobile game to have less revenue after the starting year?

pokemon go isnt immume for that to name one example.

Seems pretty normal first year has top sales and that later years might remain consistent. even if the sales drop down to 100 million or even 50 million. it's still way more than the main series for less development costs. fire emblem main game sales are only a few million each after all.

even at 50 million a year if consistent. dragalia lost is a succes with only over 120 million in it's total life time. even at 50 million they will keep it going. unless people actually want to spend more. fire emblem main line series even if more succesfull today only have 2 to 3 million sales. 50 million for a mobile game per year is still huge especially for what it is.

you cannot all be like grand fate order revenue. it's pretty impressive for such a small series that is fire emblem.

7 hours ago, Ephraimx said:

according to the internet each download that fire emblem heroes had rakes in an average of 40$ that's pretty high for a free to play game.

the only one coming close is dragalia lost at 35$ for each person below that it's 5$ for animal crossing or 50 cents for all other mobile apps including mario kart tour. pretty impressive really. so either pretty much all players spend some money on this game or some people spend a pretty high amount to compensate for the free players

https://www.pocketgamer.biz/asia/news/72153/mario-kart-tour-revenue-reason-for-optimism/

I guess with that metric, it is not too bad, but the drop is still concerning since that means they are also bringing in significantly less profits. I do not think they can slash their expenses in half to match the drop in revenue to maintain their previous profit margins, although if we can assume developing Heroes is much cheaper than the main series games, then I guess a massive drop in revenue would not affect profit margins as much. Maintaining high profit margins is a more important metric in my opinion since having a high profit margin means the business is more resilient and viable, and when a downturn happens, the business can lose a bigger portion of its profits but still be profitable.

5 hours ago, SwordsDude said:

isn't it normal for a mobile game to have less revenue after the starting year?

Yes, but the continual drop was massive. If it just went down to $190 million or even $180 million, I would not really bat an eye, but going down to $150 million is pretty bad in my opinion.

6 hours ago, SwordsDude said:

you cannot all be like grand fate order revenue. it's pretty impressive for such a small series that is fire emblem.

I guess it is not bad compared to thousands of other gacha games out there, but I expect Fire Emblem with the backing of a big company like Nintendo to do better. Although with how shit they have monetized Mario, maybe I should not expect too much out of Nintendo.

7 minutes ago, XRay said:

I guess it is not bad compared to thousands of other gacha games out there, but I expect Fire Emblem with the backing of a big company like Nintendo to do better. Although with how shit they have monetized Mario, maybe I should not expect too much out of Nintendo.

but if they want to increase profits to keep the revenue up to stabilize stuff isnt the feh pass a good thing than? obviously majority of the playerbase hates these kinds of things

In say grand fate order spending a couple thousand on a girl is more common.

Grand fate order seems to abuse the pockets of its biggest whales more to keep the revenue up. more money to spend before maxing stuff out.

if where talking whale spendings this 10$ a month is cheap compared to that. 

pokemon go for example got some pre hype income nearing the golden era days once again when they added raid battles and special passes etc. paying players will have more shots to get certain things. new stuff for the whales to spend their money on.

at the very end of the day they either have to increase stuff to max out on for them whales, having brand new features for whales to spend stuff on or stuff like feh pass that affects the small and bigger spenders.

While the profits do seem to decrease I think the series is still highly profitable even at only 50 million yearly. again the main series only sells 2 to almost 3 million copies. unless production costs are really higher than the mainline games wich i highly doubt.

22 minutes ago, SwordsDude said:

but if they want to increase profits to keep the revenue up to stabilize stuff isnt the feh pass a good thing than? obviously majority of the playerbase hates these kinds of things

With how many people they have pissed off, it was poorly announced and executed. In the short term, I guess it can raise revenue, but in the long term, I do not see it helping Nintendo stop the bleeding if it further pushes players away. They need to make the game more player friendly for free so it makes it easier to draw players into the game, not slam them with a paywall for quality of life improvements and make them go "I have to pay for everything? I think I will just stick with FGO and Duel Links."

25 minutes ago, SwordsDude said:

The package is aimed at free players and lower spenders, and they have advertised that extremely poorly towards them. Whiles whales do spend a lot, there are not as much whales as smaller fish, so getting $10 dollars from a small number of whales is not going to have much impact on their finances compared to getting a much larger population of smaller fish to spend.

32 minutes ago, SwordsDude said:

While the profits do seem to decrease I think the series is still highly profitable even at only 50 million yearly. again the main series only sells 2 to almost 3 million copies. unless production costs are really higher than the mainline games wich i highly doubt.

Assuming a main series sells 3 million, that is $120 million for the 3DS era and $180 million for Switch era. $50 million from Heroes would feel kind of low, although we do not know any of their profit margins, so I cannot really say for sure.

I used to spend a fair amount on the game during the first 2 years, dropping an orb pack or two on banners every now and then. I stopped mostly just because luck dictated that money still wouldn't be enough for me to get what I wanted, so wasn't worth spending so much to keep getting junk every banner anyway. However, the way powercreep has been going and the shift to more older games' in the past year or more has also been a turn off as well. I find myself pulling for reruns of older seasonal banners and just skipping a lot of the newer stuff entirely. Same goes for legendary/mythic banners which are supposed to be a big draw, but they're almost always just old lords loaded with copious amounts of powercreep and I have no interest. The bad taste is pushed further by how "required" IS tries to make them too, so you can score worth a damn in the competitive modes. I'm even a competitive type of player, but I don't like that's how they want the game to be played to keep up with it now. It puts me off both in the sense of it's just plain stuff I don't want and also practice I don't want to support.

I'm not sure how Nintendo could improve with the game, since something like FGO is very unlikely to be emulated. It managed to cultivate a community of whales who'd suffer the abuse of such abysmal rates and just keep shelling out cash for 0.5% waifus and husbandos anyway. Feh started off seeming more "generous" and so the playerbase expects a more generous behavior. Then throwing attempts to scrounge money like with this feh pass just throws a whole lot of people off, though I have a feeling it'll manage to be successful in the short term anyway. Long term it might just hurt the game's reputation, especially to new people looking in and seeing a premium pass gating QoL features and exclusive unit buffs. I don't think this game has that big of a whale community going by the competitive modes' rankings(feels like only a few thousand people), so they have to target low spenders more often too, like they're trying to right now. But it seems the way they're going about it isn't the best.

Hard to say if lack of fanservice is impactful on this game's sales or not.(and yes it does have a massive lack of it compared to most gacha, this game is very conservative in that regard) The core FE audience(or at least the older portion of it) isn't as keen on fanservice, but to attract more of the average gacha player then yes, fanservice might have drawn more spenders in.

One of the bigger issues is I'm not sure how well this game really does to reach and keep people playing who don't already like FE in the first place. Why would somebody looking at this game on the appstore who never played some old GBA and DS games care to stick around with characters they have no existing attachment to? And very few would give a damn to play and then go explore the source material. There's still plenty of FGO players who have never read the original VN that started the series or even watch the anime for it. Then there's little fanservice to keep the ones who play gacha for eye candy around either. Nintendo could also stand to just plain market the game better(they barely seem to) and other efforts. I remember when Feh used to have the occasional commercial, or like the CYL1 ad, but they never did stuff like that again.

And now this is getting to be a wall of text, but additionally I think that the game's not doing much to entice new players period anymore. Stuff like how almost all the competitive modes work with AR's fort level system, AB's bonus score added every week, the crowns/thrones you can never catch up on, etc. really don't encourage new people, let alone whales who want to jump in and show off, to join this game at this point. That's not good if they want to facilitate replacing lost players.

Edited by Alkaid

1 hour ago, SwordsDude said:

In say grand fate order spending a couple thousand on a girl is more common.

Grand fate order seems to abuse the pockets of its biggest whales more to keep the revenue up. more money to spend before maxing stuff out.

pokemon go for example got some pre hype income nearing the golden era days once again when they added raid battles and special passes etc. paying players will have more shots to get certain things. new stuff for the whales to spend their money on.

at the very end of the day they either have to increase stuff to max out on for them whales, having brand new features for whales to spend stuff on or stuff like feh pass that affects the small and bigger spenders.

yeah i think going full panic mode is wrong in this case. The game is still under the Top 30 gacha-games and does probably fairly well when it comes to net income. I highly doubt that FEH has an expensiv amount of costs for developing stuff, they are just basicly updating the game so the amount of cost to produce stuff is fairly low as compared to producing a brand new game.

I wouldnt say though they shouldnt implement some countermeasures. However i would like to point out that their decision considering advancing powercreep were handled poorly. Powercreep is innevitable and should allways be accompanied by the ability to further older units. Weapon Refines is one part of that, this was a good decision, the other part Dragonflowers, Duell skills and keeping most skills on the 5 Star exclusiv pool was a bad decision in my eyes.

Dragonflowers: Instead of Introducing Dragonflowers, they should have raised the Merge cap on older units to catch up. This would have intensified investing in your beloved older units instead of fatiguing users out on "why bother trying to catch up on powercreep with new units (they might not even like) when they are powercreeped soon anyway"

Duell skills: are kinda meh. Especially considering how Arena is built up. What they should have done is have Legendary heroes apply a 175 BST esque-scoring boost with their blessing on other units, makeing them more relevant.

Skills: yeah i mean Quick Riposte 3 is still 5 Star exclusiv as an example and so are alot of other old year 1 skills. The whole point of this game is to modify your units/favourite units to your liking. People might give up after a while when they dont have the means to get the skills (not all i am saying but the basics) after a while. They could have handled that with a skill shop where you can use currency you get from quests or from units you send home.

Not gonna touch the matter of subjects of game modes. Some are good but the majority is "miss"

39 minutes ago, Hilda said:

yeah i think going full panic mode is wrong in this case. The game is still under the Top 30 gacha-games and does probably fairly well when it comes to net income. I highly doubt that FEH has an expensiv amount of costs for developing stuff, they are just basicly updating the game so the amount of cost to produce stuff is fairly low as compared to producing a brand new game.

I guess it is not doing that bad when compared to everyone else who did not make it to the top 30, but an almost 50% drop in revenue is at least still very disappointing if not panic inducing.

2 hours ago, Alkaid said:

I'm not sure how Nintendo could improve with the game, since something like FGO is very unlikely to be emulated. It managed to cultivate a community of whales who'd suffer the abuse of such abysmal rates and just keep shelling out cash for 0.5% waifus and husbandos anyway.

It’s worth noting that FGO puts an incredible amount of work in each character, story and events. New story chapters get Anime PVs and even some events! Each character comes with three different costumes and sprites. The have a  ton of voice lines, a have an entire long page of lore about them, each character also has an interlude and in valentine they get a special voiced scene and drawing of their gift. Powercreep in the game is literally nonexistent which is impressive for such an old gacha game! And even 1* and 2* characters are usable and have and a incredible care put into them.

It may sound like I’m fanboying over the game, but I had to point it out that people don’t play the FGO just for waidus/husbandos, the are many reasons as for why FGO is so popular despite its terrible rates. Of course FGO isn’t without flaws, but the developers learn from it.

I love FEH but I can firmly say that the developers of FEH do not put enough love and care in FEH as much the developers of FGO put love and care in FGO. Not even close.

Edited by Water Mage

7 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

It’s worth noting that FGO puts an incredible amount of work in each character, story and events. New story chapters get Anime PVs and even some events! Each character comes with three different costumes and sprites. The have a  ton of voice lines, a have an entire long page of lore about them, each character also has an interlude and in valentine they get a special voiced scene and drawing of their gift. Powercreep in the game is literally nonexistent which is impressive for such an old gacha game! And even 1* and 2* characters are usable and have and a incredible care put into them.

It may sound like I’m fanboying over the game, but I had to point it out that people don’t play the FGO just for waidus/husbandos, the are many reasons as for why FGO is so popular despite its terrible rates. Of course FGO isn’t without flaws, but the developers learn from it.

I love FEH but I can firmly say that the developers of FEH do not put enough love and care in FEH as much the developers of FGO put love and care in FGO. Not even close.

That's very true too. The best they've done for Feh character-wise is Forging Bonds or the duo units that have their little conversation(though then that sacrifices all their normal tap lines.. so they really just cut stuff to even make those). That's basically nothing compared to what FGO and plenty of other gacha games do with their characters. If you don't already like a character from playing the main FE games, Feh itself does little to make you care about them beyond their gameplay use or if you like how they look and what very limited tap lines they have.(that works sometimes, like Reinhardt becoming "popular", but it's not the same as what actual character interaction/story could do on top of that)

The attention to story and characters definitely helps keep FGO doing well and keeping people invested in the game, though it still pairs with the abysmal gacha rates to milk people trying to then get those characters too. IS has been trying harder to milk people to keep up with legendaries/mythics/BST creep/skill creep/etc., yet not done much to improve in other aspects. They mostly just focus on the gameplay value of things. Maybe they overestimate people already knowing all the characters from the main games so they think they don't have to do more?