New/Rarely Seen Concepts You'd Like to See

I'm not sure whether to put this here or in the fan topic, but I'm trying to come up with some characters for my own Fire Emblem fan-game, and I need some second opinions on ideas on things like personalities, story elements, classes that follow in the spirit of Fire Emblem while bringing something new.

Other Oifeys and the other pre promote cruch I forgot the name of not be a horse back unit, especially a great knight or paladin. Maybe something like a Sniper, Hero, etc.

Perhaps the lord be a bit more unique? Like a healer which hasn't happened yet, a mage which surprisingly has only happened once, or even a armor which only happened once if you count Hector.

Finally, I once heard about a idea about instead of the enemy being dark mages, wyvern knights, etc. and the good guys having bishops, pegasus knights, etc. with the other way around. With good guys having the dark stuff, doesn't have to be edgy, and the bad guys having the good stuff. With the final boss or main leader of the evil nation look like a kind and gentle woman but obivously not really.

I can give more ideas but that is all for now.

I'm not sure what kind of fan-game you're planning to make, what engine you're using or anything, so I'm not sure if this is gonna be within your methods, but just in case, I frankly really miss the "mercenaries with axes" style of axe fighter seen in FE5. I like it when the axe using footsoldiers are more slim and agile fighters and aren't the comically oversized half-dressed muscleheads we see in basically every single game but Thracia and arguably the Tellius ones. Orsin is my favorite axe fighter in the whole damned series, largely because it's cool how agile he is during his combat animations.

I've always had a soft spot for Lot's stat layout in FE6. He's a fighter who's strength, skill, speed and defense are roughly equal with each other, although in FE6 they were a bit too low for him to really be an exceptional unit. Perceval joined with similar strength / speed to what Lot had at 20/20. FE6 had a lot of really interesting units in general, owing to its large cast which was rich in prepromotes.

The general rule of FE is "attractive good, ugly bad".  Flip that around a bit - unattractive recruitable units with normal personalities, and attractive, unrecruitable jerks.

48 minutes ago, eclipse said:

The general rule of FE is "attractive good, ugly bad".  Flip that around a bit - unattractive recruitable units with normal personalities, and attractive, unrecruitable jerks.

In other words, Gonzales and Narcian. The world needs more Narcians.

On a Fire Emblem campaign. i would like to see something like a "post-game"

Most of the games end up with everyone rulling their territories into the beginning of years and years of peace.

This is not essentially bad, but also not so simple to do. I would like a campaing with the focus on the rebuild after a Liberation War, all the political tensions between different nations trying their best to survive. Meanwhile, problems like bandits, sickness, poverty and possible invaders become common.

Random thoughts:

Mages with high phys def and low res. Actual FE pretends that's what dark mages are but never go all in with the stats. 

Throwing knives were cool but only appeared in Tellius and with terrible usability between their low strength and thieves low strength.

Merchant and apothecary from fates were interesting ideas but kind of poorly executed on top of their poor accessibility, I'd check those out. 

Sword or lance units that can cross water. 

Dismounting as a mechanic to cross certain areas to slow mounted units. 

Anything that makes flying NOT unequivocally the best movement type in every map. 

Edited by Boomhauer007

17 hours ago, Boomhauer007 said:

Sword or lance units that can cross water. 

Heroes in FE8 I believe could. Perhaps it was just a thing for chapter 18, though.

Buffing light magic? In the GBA games they're largely useless because they have lower MT and have WTD against standard enemy spellcasters.

22 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

In other words, Gonzales and Narcian. The world needs more Narcians.

Sort of.  Gonzales is a bucket of issues on his own, and I don't think it's the right topic to air it.  Narcian. . .well, they tried, but he's pretty off-putting on face alone.  Perhaps if he swapped sprites with Perceval.

If we're going to have weapon triangle-less games become a recurring thing then I'd like to see them try removing the triangle altogether. Axes are no longer their own category: the shorter axes are grouped with swords while the poleaxes are grouped with lances. With it would come appropriate class compression, such as Swordmasters and Berserkers being one and the same (like in FE4), Heroes filling the shoes of Halberdiers too and Wyvern Riders being the mono-lance class line. Plus, no more crying about a lack of throwing swords when they now have hand axes!

10 hours ago, X-Naut said:

If we're going to have weapon triangle-less games become a recurring thing then I'd like to see them try removing the triangle altogether. Axes are no longer their own category: the shorter axes are grouped with swords while the poleaxes are grouped with lances. With it would come appropriate class compression, such as Swordmasters and Berserkers being one and the same (like in FE4), Heroes filling the shoes of Halberdiers too and Wyvern Riders being the mono-lance class line. Plus, no more crying about a lack of throwing swords when they now have hand axes!

Um, what? Swordmasters and Berserkers are not the same class in Fe4 at all

On 2/2/2020 at 9:39 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

Perceval joined with similar strength / speed to what Lot had at 20/20. FE6 had a lot of really interesting units in general, owing to its large cast which was rich in prepromotes.

How is not that a sign of imbalance? Like the way a 20 unpromoted Gwen has almost the same stats as a base Normal Mode Melady? A unit who starts weak and very much in need of training, should not turn out to be only as strong as someone who comes later no training required. I mean yes, that weaker unit has availability and if they cross the threshold from a training liability to a competent fighter in that time, then that is something going for them. But unfortunately for FE6, that is a threshold that takes a while to cross for a whole bunch of units. -Though I do believe at the same time prepromotes should have competent stats and not simply be watered down so the weaklings can take all the glory.

11 hours ago, Fire Brand said:

Um, what? Swordmasters and Berserkers are not the same class in Fe4 at all

7 hours ago, Kruggov said:

Fun fact, there are no Berserkers in FE4. And in case you meant FE5, I don't remember Swordmasters having Wrath.

While Berserkers as we know them appeared in FE5 the first Berserker class appeared in FE3. It was a reskinned Hero, appeared in the desert map and dropped a Master Sword. And with the highest playable Str/Skl/Spd caps and innate Pursuit/Adept, it wouldn't be unreasonable to call FE4 Swordmasters the game's Berserker equivalent.

1 hour ago, X-Naut said:

While Berserkers as we know them appeared in FE5 the first Berserker class appeared in FE3. It was a reskinned Hero, appeared in the desert map and dropped a Master Sword. And with the highest playable Str/Skl/Spd caps and innate Pursuit/Adept, it wouldn't be unreasonable to call FE4 Swordmasters the game's Berserker equivalent.

Eh, I'd argue Johalvier's promoted class of Warrior is the game's berserker equivalent. Definitely far closer to it than swordmaster, that's for sure. 

On 2/3/2020 at 11:45 PM, eclipse said:

Sort of.  Gonzales is a bucket of issues on his own, and I don't think it's the right topic to air it.

Since Gonzales is a pretty popular character, I think it would be a good idea if you wanted to bring up your grievances with him in the Unpopular Opinion thread. I'd be interested to hear your take on him.

On 2/3/2020 at 11:45 PM, eclipse said:

Narcian. . .well, they tried, but he's pretty off-putting on face alone.  Perhaps if he swapped sprites with Perceval.

No way, Jose. Narcian >>> Perceval.

Perceval is honestly not a handsome figure, he has perpetually gloomy features. Narcian is alarming, but any unattractive aspect of his appearance is due to how he carries himself. That posture derives from his personality, which actually fits with the idea of an "evil pretty person." His otherwise attractive face is spoiled by his wickedness.

11 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

How is not that a sign of imbalance?

I never said it wasn't. I specifically said Lot wasn't that good and I mentioned Perceval to exemplify how outclassed he was. However, I still think the idea behind his statistical build is interesting and I don't think we've seen another unit with it.

I'd like to see a game where Haar has a kid before the events of what would be RD. Haar trains the child, so he has Haar's bases and better growths, but starts at a lower level; the game can be about him soloing the Begnion armies while sleeping.

I want to see a bard class which has 1-2 range revitalisation or have tools for bards to use, with the weapon rank system utilised. (Each tool would have its own effect and rank, I.E Trumpet which has 1-2 range, Oboe, which inflicts Atk/Spd penalties on foe, etc.) I feel like refresher units are boring as classes, so they could be made more interesting. ALternatively, they could learn songs which have different affects. Ninian kinda had that with the rings, but it had nothing to do with her stats or anything and if anything I saw no reason to use them. 

Also, @Morgan--Grandmaster, if you need opinions/ideas, I can help, but I don't know the first thing about coding.

Edited by Benice

Have a game where you actually are the villain without realizing it until its to late to turn back, and you just say screw it. I'm conquering the world!

Something like the main lord having a very delusional sense of justice. And what he's doing in the name of that so called justice basically leads him to be the real villain. Bonus if they can make it not obvious that this will happen.

Have the entire world turn on him because they get sick of his "justice"

Edited by Faellin

* Bards, aka male refreshers. Three Houses give the option of male dancers but I'd like male characters with this specific class and being able to defend themselves with some magic. 

* Magic and female Oifeys. A Witch, Dark mage or Druid Oifey, for example. 

Edited by Mylady

In the vein of The Black Company or Kane series, make a game where your characters are either fighter for/are the villains of the piece. Basically add in more elements of dark fantasy.

Edited by Wraith