What are some ideas for new mounts?

ZeManaphy

We've had Pegasi, Horses, and Wyverns as staple mounts for the series, we could always have some more ideas for new mounts in the series. IS has dabbled with Griffins and Kinishi, but they've only appeared once in the series, so what are some ideas for mounts that we could see in upcoming games?

I was thinking: 

1. Elephants: War Elephants were considered the powerful form military power for years until tanks came. Why not put them in a Midieval fantasy game. Maybe incorporate them into Monster units sizes to show of how huge they are compared to other mounts.

2. Ostriches. Yes, people around the world ride Ostriches. Its most common in Africa. Could be an interesting parallell to horses. 

3. Reindeer: I was thinking as flying mounts, with them be based on Santa Claus's reindeer. People do ride reindeer in fact, with Dukha people being well known.

Not sure about Mythical creatures. 

What are your ideas for new mounts?

I think it might be neat to have a mount that can swim across water easily, maybe something like a sea serpent? They could have a little less movement than horses and fliers but get some kind of bonus from being in the water. Idk how useful that would be though. It depends on how many of the maps have water.

I mean for flying mounts we pretty much have whats possible I think? Technically we have small Dragons aka Wyverns, we got Pegasi as well as Griffons. The one thing I can imagine are birds -> supersized Eagles like in LotR, or if we are going the route of magic flyer class something like a phoenix but that seems kind of excessive (riding a burning bird?). Also giant bats like the bat rider from Warcraft III.

As for mounted units on the ground

-) a Camel-based class would be possible too, but outside of desert maybe a bit weird i suppose?

-) or a big lizard as a mount.

And if water ever becomes a significant part of gameplay I think a turtle or an otter as a mount could do.

1 hour ago, Zkitty8 said:

I think it might be neat to have a mount that can swim across water easily, maybe something like a sea serpent? They could have a little less movement than horses and fliers but get some kind of bonus from being in the water. Idk how useful that would be though. It depends on how many of the maps have water.

Langrisser have those since the first game. Usually they tend to be low tier because there are several maps whit little water where they are just worse infranty. But if a game/campaihn has enought water maps, they rock.

In my class three I included Serpent Knights and Chimera Knight.

SerpentKnight.png.7ae83f41a1ceda79ec6b576624add554.png

There's also Phoenix Knight, but it's just a red Kinshi promotion option.

I agree that elephants would be cool and rate them long over due. I actually speculated about the possibility of multi tile units for the purpose of Elephants a few years back, before Three Houses implemented the concept. We also know for a fact that Was Elephants exist in the Fire Emblem universe in the form of the Oliphantor overclass being based off of them.

Regarding other possibilities, if we ever go with an arab aesthetic camels would be a good one. Basically horses that aren't hindered by sand.

5 hours ago, ZeManaphy said:

We've had Pegasi, Horses, and Wyverns as staple mounts for the series, we could always have some more ideas for new mounts in the series. IS has dabbled with Griffins and Kinishi, but they've only appeared once in the series, so what are some ideas for mounts that we could see in upcoming games?

I was thinking: 

1. Elephants: War Elephants were considered the powerful form military power for years until tanks came. Why not put them in a Midieval fantasy game. Maybe incorporate them into Monster units sizes to show of how huge they are compared to other mounts.

2. Ostriches. Yes, people around the world ride Ostriches. Its most common in Africa. Could be an interesting parallell to horses. 

3. Reindeer: I was thinking as flying mounts, with them be based on Santa Claus's reindeer. People do ride reindeer in fact, with Dukha people being well known.

Not sure about Mythical creatures. 

What are your ideas for new mounts?

People have ridden ostriches, but not for combat. Granted it's fantasy, so we could ignore that, but I still find it hard to imagine genuine ostriches not looking completely ridiculous. Something more chocobo like in design might work better. I'd still question what niche they're actually filling though.

I say ditch the living mount and give us standing infantry flying on clouds, or discs of magic rock that floats when properly agitated.

I do see that Civilization VI has war elephants, called Varu, as the unique unit of India. Classifies as Heavy Cavalry with a very un-cavalry-like movement of 2 (the usual is 4). Although I do see (for I haven't bought Rise and Fall) that while for Gandhi they are defensive weapon, Chandragupta can easily buff their movement and make them a tool for the attack.

Either way, Varu debuff the Combat Strength- both Atk and Def in one stat- of adjacent enemies. I guess the debuff represents the fear seeing a war elephant would inflict into those who see them up close.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I don't know. I think Camels are faster on sand compared to horses? They could make Camels which are a bit slower than Horses, but don't suffer as much penalty from Sand. 

Edited by Stroud

4 hours ago, Stroud said:

I think Camels are faster on sand compared to horses? They could make Camels which are a bit slower than Horses, but don't suffer as much penalty from Sand.

Make them have less Mov (5 or 6 compared to 7, for example) but move on sand without any penalty. Can only Canto on Sand.

Also, Water Mounts, but only if water becomes an important terrain.

Edited by Shrimperor

One of my FE-based stories features Roc, great birds who live in a desert-like area and have some sort of connection to two legendary Roc who were progenitors of the species, as well as masters of thunder (the male) and wind (the female) elemental magic, Garuda and Simorgh. Those also inspired the names for the class (called Roc Tamer, sword-wielding flier) and its two promotions (Garuda are a high offense sword/bow units, while Simorgh are sword/Anima hybrids with higher Mag/Res but lower Str/Spd). I could have used griffins, but I guess I didn't like the idea of them being a mix of species already.

I don't know why, but, for some reason, these came to mind:

Spoiler

Image result for tri force heroes"Image result for spirit tracks tower of spirits"

In all seriousness, could you imagine an FE character class that basically rides on top of an armoured golem of some kind into battle?

Edited by vanguard333

Rocs would be cool, (1001 arabian nights, anyone?) I also like the idea of maybe flying carpets or something? Movement could be based off of magic stat/2 or something. Although it doesn't quite qualify as a mount, I've always wanted to see a skiing/skating/ice movement mechanic. Perhaps for non-flying people, Con could be added to movement? It'd give armored knights a chance to have decent mov for once. 

A mechanic I've always wanted in FE is a two-phase boating mechanic. For example, you would be on a large map with a boat or multiple boats which contained all of your units. For one part of your turn, you would move your boat, then you could move your units who are on the boats. I think that those woud be really cool.

Also, for some reason I want to have a device that looks like a toaster that can launch units X amount of spaces.

11 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Imagine charging in on a horse and seeing this shit:

3o4w02.jpg

Yo, bear cavalry would be dope! How many games give you the option to ride a bear besides BOTW?

9 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I got this crazy idea a while back for axe and spear using warriors who ride on lions. Also, if we ever go magitech or steampunk for Fire Emblem, motorcycle cavalry is pretty much a must.

The problem I see with motorcycle cavalry is that both hands need to be holding the handles. Trying to do something like stab or cut an opponent while on a motorcycle would be very difficult. Not impossible; I could see someone on a straight path quickly drawing their sword with one hand, cutting with it, then sheathing it quickly before they have to turn. But yeah; it would be tricky. 

That said, I could see some kind of mechanical mount as long as said mount has some degree of sentience. Maybe even something like a Golem or an animated suit of armour. 

42 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Also, if we ever go magitech or steampunk for Fire Emblem, motorcycle cavalry is pretty much a must.

28 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

The problem I see with motorcycle cavalry is that both hands need to be holding the handles. Trying to do something like stab or cut an opponent while on a motorcycle would be very difficult. Not impossible; I could see someone on a straight path quickly drawing their sword with one hand, cutting with it, then sheathing it quickly before they have to turn. But yeah; it would be tricky.

Uhh...

Spoiler

We already have this.

And I was just reminded, could FE go and add chariots? Sure, they became out of date in warfare after the Romans (beforehand? did Rome use chariots outside of entertainment?) I guess, not sure why. But FE being fantasy, they wouldn't be out of place even if impractical IRL. Their size/bulk could be kinda interesting in a way. 

The one issue with chariots is that they'd demand two people: one to drive it and one to kill things. How do you deal with that from a writing perspective for Supports and such?

Semi-random other thought, I wouldn't want them as a unit, but I would totally be down with FE having non-sci-fi fantasy landships. More a location in itself with its own zip code, and a superweapon the villains develop to invade anywhere they want. It wouldn't be a mount, but you would drive it and yourself to the battlefield. Give me the G.I.L.S. Fjalar.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

21 hours ago, ZeManaphy said:

1. Elephants: War Elephants were considered the powerful form military power for years until tanks came

Except that, historically speaking, they weren't all that useful. Scary as shit of course for the romans when they first fought them but they weren't really the decisive factor in any battle and in medieval europe they were never used. Maybe somewhere in like India they were but I think so during the medieval period. 

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And I was just reminded, could FE go and add chariots? Sure, they became out of date in warfare after the Romans (beforehand? did Rome use chariots outside of entertainment?) I guess, not sure why. But FE being fantasy, they wouldn't be out of place even if impractical IRL. Their size/bulk could be kinda interesting in a way. 

I mean the chariots could be made into a Wargroove wagon kind of thing, with one character being a Chariot Driver (class?) and then you´d be able to load up another one or two units enabling the chariot to do combat -> perhaps have a fixed spot for one ranged attacker and one melee attacker? This would be a nice thing for low MOV units to get around the map too. And about the whole impractical thing, while wagons are technically not chariots (I think) I´d like to remind/point to the war wagons used in the Hussite Wars making for mobile and difficult to fight against fortresses.

6 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Except that, historically speaking, they weren't all that useful. Scary as shit of course for the romans when they first fought them but they weren't really the decisive factor in any battle and in medieval europe they were never used. Maybe somewhere in like India they were but I think so during the medieval period. 

Well A) Them not being used in  Europe probably comes more down to the fact that they don't exist in Europe rather than their practical use. B) Carthage was an empire to rival Rome in it's own right, so I imagine their war elephants were rather effective in combat building that empire, it's just that Romans are also very, very effective in combat. War elephants were mad expensive to have, I doubt they would have wasted all that money if they were useless. C) Why in Earth would any of that matter to Fire Emblem anyway? Wyverns didn't exist in Europe and they're a staple of the series. And don't get me started about the practicality of having an unarmed dancer traipsing around the battlefield.

12 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The one issue with chariots is that they'd demand two people: one to drive it and one to kill things. How do you deal with that from a writing perspective for Supports and such?

War chariots had fallen out of use in Continental Europe by the time of the Early Roman Empire. The Celtic four-pommel saddle made it far easier for people to stay on a horse during a fight, leading to the rise in skirmish cavalry, which was less expensive than a team of horses, only needed one person, and was more versatile. The Romans then adopted the four-pommel saddle and skirmish cavalry from the Gauls. 

There was one group of people left in Europe that were still using chariots: the Insular Celts (particularly the Britons), and their role was fairly niche. Basically, they rode into the field, unloaded some warriors, and shot arrows at the enemies before retreating. Their role was pretty much to be personnel carriers. 

After the Romans conquered the Britons, war chariots came to an end in Britain, leaving Ireland as the only place still using them, and it didn’t last long after that in Ireland either. 

11 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well A) Them not being used in  Europe probably comes more down to the fact that they don't exist in Europe rather than their practical use. B) Carthage was an empire to rival Rome in it's own right, so I imagine their war elephants were rather effective in combat building that empire, it's just that Romans are also very, very effective in combat. War elephants were mad expensive to have, I doubt they would have wasted all that money if they were useless. C) Why in Earth would any of that matter to Fire Emblem anyway? Wyverns didn't exist in Europe and they're a staple of the series. And don't get me started about the practicality of having an unarmed dancer traipsing around the battlefield.

Wyverns do exist in European mythology though. 

23 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I don't know why, but, for some reason, these came to mind:

Hide contents

Image result for tri force heroes"Image result for spirit tracks tower of spirits"

In all seriousness, could you imagine an FE character class that basically rides on top of an armoured golem of some kind into battle?

Didn't Fates have that DLC class that was a turret that fires bows and looks like a vehicle? It was Male only too. What was it again?

2 hours ago, ZeManaphy said:

Wyverns do exist in European mythology though. 

Didn't Fates have that DLC class that was a turret that fires bows and looks like a vehicle? It was Male only too. What was it again?

It was Ballistician, and I wasn't a fan of that version, as it looked like an awkward attempt at a Medieval Tank rather than, well, someone with a ballista. 

Also, my idea was someone riding on top of something mechanical, rather than sitting inside it. 

As for wyverns, yes; they exist in European Mythology... sort of. Two-legged dragons appear frequently in Welsh Folklore, but they are referred to as dragons. Most things I've read have suggested that the name, "wyvern" and its distinction from "dragon" originates from heraldry (as in shield crests and coat-of-arms) rather than any particular myth or folklore.