Gameplay mechanics ideas for PoR remake

whase

Since I've recently heard rumors about a PoR remake, I started thinking about what things they would take from Three Houses and shove into it. At first I was scared for what they might do to my favorite FE game, but then I started noticing some fun things they could do with it. (At least S supports go out the window, with having a sequel, right?)

I'm really curious what others might think of if they did this.

Warning, spoilers ahead!

The biggest new thing in Three Houses is the monastery you can explore. In Path of Radiance your group starts at Greil's mercenary hideout, but you won't stay there long. It would be possible to explore this small hideout at the beginning of the game, going to everybody's room and visiting them, seeing their "base conversations" from here, getting to know them even better. Once your mercenary group escapes, the hideout would obviously be gone. Except, it is implied our group sets up camp each night, why not make this explorable? Each time you recruit new allies their tents are added to the explore area and you can visit them here. The tents would be the same each time, only the background will change, which makes me certain it won't be too much additional work for each location.

The free weapon system is great in 3H, but setting this system 1-on-1 into PoR wouldn't make any sense. Customization, however, is fun and can be included. Instead of having every weapon type, every ability available, for all characters, give every character 4 or 5 aspects they can be trained in. For example, Ike could be trained in swords, axes, authority and maneuvers (where authority could give him authority stars and maneuvers gives him skills or whatever), but Soren gets Anima magic, staves, dark magic and maneuvers. In the first few chapters, Greil would be training the characters, so the abilities of your units would increase where he thinks it should. But after that Ike, a.k.a. the player (no avatar or customization), should be taking over. You get to decide what they train in, but they won't be learning anything that doesn't fit their character (so no mage Boyd).

This could then also be your class system, no actual classes are needed, Calill and Soren are basically still both sages, but their abilities could be different. Where Soren gets staves and dark magic, Calill might get knives and riding instead. This way the characters feel more separate. For enemies there will be standard builds so you don't have to check every enemy's skills (besides bosses).

That's it for now, more will probably pop into my head later. Would you be excited for a game like this? Or do you have other idea's along these lines? Let me know, I'm curious. =3

Honestly, I don't think Path of Radiance's gameplay should be too overhauled. There are certainly areas where it could stand to be improved, but not too many. 

Here's some gameplay ideas I want to see:

• Skills are removeable and reassign-able like in Radiant Dawn instead of permanently disappearing after being removed. 
  • Personal Skills that can't be removed and don't cost any points in the skill system. 
  • Wind Edges from Radiant Dawn. 
  • Cavalry and Flying Units either have reduced movement or have to be dismounted in indoor chapters; preferably the latter. 
  • This is more of an interface change, but remove the stupid floating triangle. The tile borders being highlighted is already enough without being intrusive, and it does a far better job at indicating which tile than the floating triangle!

35 minutes ago, whase said:

The biggest new thing in Three Houses is the monastery you can explore. In Path of Radiance your group starts at Greil's mercenary hideout, but you won't stay there long. It would be possible to explore this small hideout at the beginning of the game, going to everybody's room and visiting them, seeing their "base conversations" from here, getting to know them even better. Once your mercenary group escapes, the hideout would obviously be gone. Except, it is implied our group sets up camp each night, why not make this explorable? Each time you recruit new allies their tents are added to the explore area and you can visit them here. The tents would be the same each time, only the background will change, which makes me certain it won't be too much additional work for each location.

Explorable bases would be every interesting, and it is something I have considered. However, two things in particular have caused me to hesitate on that idea:

1. I honestly think that, even with today's tech, IS was only able to make the monastery work so well was because it was just the one monastery. The only other place the characters can ever use as a base is the abandoned fortress in Crimson Flower that's just a reuse of the place where you fight Miklan. Likewise, I genuinely think that the reason they were able to have Ike's army travel and camp all around Tellius was simply that the base was a backdrop and a menu. Yes, they would be able to reuse assets in several areas (using the town as the base whenever they're in a town, etc.), but it still would probably be very time-consuming to implement. especially as the camp needs to expand for story reasons as you go from controlling mercenaries to controlling an army. 
  2. The base being explorable would restrict what base conversations can be in two key ways:
    1. In Three Houses, base conversations work by walking up to a character and talking to them. This means that all base conversations are direct conversations with Byleth. However, not all base conversations in Path of Radiance were direct conversations with Ike. Some only featured Ike at the very end, and sometimes he wasn't even involved; just listening in from a distance. For example: the multiple conversations between Boyd, Oscar and Rolf and the conversation between Jill and Mist where Haar walks in. Those would be rather hard to implement using Three House's base conversation system. I'm not saying it would be impossible; just that at least some of them would have to work more like how the Support Conversations with Byleth work when you're exploring the monastery.
    2. Since Three Houses' base conversations involved Byleth going up to and speaking with the person, they were also very static: a group of people just standing near each other and talking. Path of Radiance's base conversations, by contrast, were free to be far more dynamic (even though the use of still images meant that a lot of it had to be conveyed through dialogue): Mist slipping on the ice before leaving & Haar showing up, Ike hiding under Soren's desk to keep Aimee from finding him, etc. How would you suggest the base conversations still be dynamic? Would you have them be in-game cutscenes?

1 hour ago, whase said:

The free weapon system is great in 3H, but setting this system 1-on-1 into PoR wouldn't make any sense. Customization, however, is fun and can be included. Instead of having every weapon type, every ability available, for all characters, give every character 4 or 5 aspects they can be trained in. For example, Ike could be trained in swords, axes, authority and maneuvers (where authority could give him authority stars and maneuvers gives him skills or whatever), but Soren gets Anima magic, staves, dark magic and maneuvers. In the first few chapters, Greil would be training the characters, so the abilities of your units would increase where he thinks it should. But after that Ike, a.k.a. the player (no avatar or customization), should be taking over. You get to decide what they train in, but they won't be learning anything that doesn't fit their character (so no mage Boyd).

This could then also be your class system, no actual classes are needed, Calill and Soren are basically still both sages, but their abilities could be different. Where Soren gets staves and dark magic, Calill might get knives and riding instead. This way the characters feel more separate. For enemies there will be standard builds so you don't have to check every enemy's skills (besides bosses).

I don't think this is a good idea:

I don't think authority is a good idea in Path of Radiance because I don't think Battalions and Gambits are a good idea. The Greil Mercenaries are meant to be small. By the time Ike's commanding a force large enough for battalions and gambits to make sense, the game is more than halfway done. It would also seriously upset the balance as the game really wasn't built for it. 

I don't think "maneuvers" is a good idea either. As annoying as the skill system in Path of Radiance could be, it was great that there was an element of choice to it: you could only get four Occult Scrolls and only so many standard skill scrolls; forcing you to think carefully about which characters got which skills. That said, I do think an overhaul to how skills are obtained is a good idea, but I don't think it should come down to a stat that grants them freely. 

Finally, I don't think this "every unit can be trained in four areas" idea is a good idea. First, as for your examples, why would Calill, an infantry unit, get riding? Why would Soren learn Dark Magic? Soren is not one to take dangerous magic lightly, especially after having been mistaken for a Spirit Charmer by the mage that taught him. Second, as a concept, I don't think Ike deciding what everyone trains in makes any thematic or character sense. In Three Houses, Byleth is the teacher. In Path of Radiance, Ike is very hands-off on purpose; he knows his limits, and he's struggling to learn how to lead, let alone instruct. It doesn't make much sense. 

I do think some aspects of your ideas are interesting, but they need to be more thought-through. A remake shouldn't ever detract from the things that were good about the original. 

i would keep it as faithful to the original as possible, PoR's gameplay it still really solid and needs no major changes

the only thing i can think about is more base convos and supports, and interchangeable skills just like in RD

personal skills would be nice, but i don't think they're necessary

also, a bit more difficulty wouldn't hurt either (not the artificial "fates conquest" difficulty, i mean actual strategy)

yeah, adding explorable castles and villages to read even more dialogues (that's what i love so much of PoR, just imagine exploring the prisons where daein's scientists made experiments on laguz first hand) and dungeons (but no grinding, they could fix this potential problem by allowing characters to get, let's say, 1 extra level and nothing more) would be really cool, that'd be the only change i'd really think about if i were in charge of remaking PoR and tasked to add a new feature that the original game didn't have

so to sum it up, here's my "top 3 PoR remake changes" tier list:

3) interchangeable skills and higher difficulty

2) explorable castles, towns and dungeons

1) more base convos and supports

Edited by Yexin

1. Set a level cap for BEXP to prevent anyone from pullinng an RD Haar. Each chapter would have a cap level so  you couldn't BEXP people past that level. At least implement this on the harder modes.
  2. Give a hint about Stefan's location.
  3. If they add wind edges, buff them a little, because in RD they're weaker amd less accurate than javelins and handaxes.
  4. If they do a PoR remake, they're probably going to do an RD one. I would like to see more of the imported a-supports affecting supports in RD and stuff like that, but not so much that it becomes a necessary mechanic.
  5. Buff Rofl.

38 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Honestly, I don't think Path of Radiance's gameplay should be too overhauled. There are certainly areas where it could stand to be improved, but not too many. 

Here's some gameplay ideas I want to see:

• Skills are removeable and reassign-able like in Radiant Dawn instead of permanently disappearing after being removed. 
  • Personal Skills that can't be removed and don't cost any points in the skill system. 
  • Wind Edges from Radiant Dawn. 
  • Cavalry and Flying Units either have reduced movement or have to be dismounted in indoor chapters; preferably the latter. 
  • This is more of an interface change, but remove the stupid floating triangle. The tile borders being highlighted is already enough without being intrusive, and it does a far better job at indicating which tile than the floating triangle!

Fair enough, and agreed, though I never had a problem with floating triangles.

Explorable bases would be every interesting, and it is something I have considered. However, two things in particular have caused me to hesitate on that idea:

1. I honestly think that, even with today's tech, IS was only able to make the monastery work so well was because it was just the one monastery. The only other place the characters can ever use as a base is the abandoned fortress in Crimson Flower that's just a reuse of the place where you fight Miklan. Likewise, I genuinely think that the reason they were able to have Ike's army travel and camp all around Tellius was simply that the base was a backdrop and a menu. Yes, they would be able to reuse assets in several areas (using the town as the base whenever they're in a town, etc.), but it still would probably be very time-consuming to implement. especially as the camp needs to expand for story reasons as you go from controlling mercenaries to controlling an army. 
  2. The base being explorable would restrict what base conversations can be in two key ways:
    1. In Three Houses, base conversations work by walking up to a character and talking to them. This means that all base conversations are direct conversations with Byleth. However, not all base conversations in Path of Radiance were direct conversations with Ike. Some only featured Ike at the very end, and sometimes he wasn't even involved; just listening in from a distance. For example: the multiple conversations between Boyd, Oscar and Rolf and the conversation between Jill and Mist where Haar walks in. Those would be rather hard to implement using Three House's base conversation system. I'm not saying it would be impossible; just that at least some of them would have to work more like how the Support Conversations with Byleth work when you're exploring the monastery.
    2. Since Three Houses' base conversations involved Byleth going up to and speaking with the person, they were also very static: a group of people just standing near each other and talking. Path of Radiance's base conversations, by contrast, were free to be far more dynamic (even though the use of still images meant that a lot of it had to be conveyed through dialogue): Mist slipping on the ice before leaving & Haar showing up, Ike hiding under Soren's desk to keep Aimee from finding him, etc. How would you suggest the base conversations still be dynamic? Would you have them be in-game cutscenes?

Some of them would indeed need to work like the support conversations in 3H. I don't see the problem for conversations Ike isn't a direct part of though, they could just not have noticed you (though they might want to be triggered automatically once you get too close).

I don't think this is a good idea:

I don't think authority is a good idea in Path of Radiance because I don't think Battalions and Gambits are a good idea. The Greil Mercenaries are meant to be small. By the time Ike's commanding a force large enough for battalions and gambits to make sense, the game is more than halfway done. It would also seriously upset the balance as the game really wasn't built for it. 

I don't think "maneuvers" is a good idea either. As annoying as the skill system in Path of Radiance could be, it was great that there was an element of choice to it: you could only get four Occult Scrolls and only so many standard skill scrolls; forcing you to think carefully about which characters got which skills. That said, I do think an overhaul to how skills are obtained is a good idea, but I don't think it should come down to a stat that grants them freely. 

Finally, I don't think this "every unit can be trained in four areas" idea is a good idea. First, as for your examples, why would Calill, an infantry unit, get riding? Why would Soren learn Dark Magic? Soren is not one to take dangerous magic lightly, especially after having been mistaken for a Spirit Charmer by the mage that taught him. Second, as a concept, I don't think Ike deciding what everyone trains in makes any thematic or character sense. In Three Houses, Byleth is the teacher. In Path of Radiance, Ike is very hands-off on purpose; he knows his limits, and he's struggling to learn how to lead, let alone instruct. It doesn't make much sense. 

I do think some aspects of your ideas are interesting, but they need to be more thought-through. A remake shouldn't ever detract from the things that were good about the original. 

Wasn't planning on adding battalions and gambits. IIRC in RD certain characters have authority stars, giving bonuses to all allies units if they are the commander. I was thinking more along those lines.

Fair, I was changing the choice between what skills you give to which units to what will you train each unit in. But yes the old system wasn't bad and doesn't need the change. (I just think it's fun to think about)

Okay maybe the examples weren't the greatest, I forgot about the implications of dark magic in Tellius for a second. As for Calill I thought it'd be fun if you train her enough in horses she could become mounted, which sounds cool to me. And yeah, Ike actually instructing others does sound a bit weird now that I think of it some more, though framing it differently might work?

13 minutes ago, Yexin said:

If they only did this, depending on implementation I would be very happy.

Don't give exploration respawnable enemies though.

3 minutes ago, whase said:

Fair enough, and agreed, though I never had a problem with floating triangles.

Most people don't; it's mostly just a problem I have with it because I find it big, intrusive, obstructive and unnecessary. 

4 minutes ago, whase said:

Some of them would indeed need to work like the support conversations in 3H. I don't see the problem for conversations Ike isn't a direct part of though, they could just not have noticed you (though they might want to be triggered automatically once you get too close).

Okay. Still, it would be good to make sure the base conversations are still dynamic. If they're going to be implemented like that, I want to see Mist fall on the ice, and I especially want to see Ike awkwardly hiding under Soren's desk so that Aimee won't find him. 

6 minutes ago, whase said:

Wasn't planning on adding battalions and gambits. IIRC in RD certain characters have authority stars, giving bonuses to all allies units if they are the commander. I was thinking more along those lines.

Oh; that makes a lot more sense. Still, I don't think that should be a customizable stat. 

36 minutes ago, Yexin said:

i would keep it as faithful to the original as possible, PoR's gameplay it still really solid and needs no major changes

This. Path of Radiance, while it could be improved here and there, is not broken. A remake doesn't need to overhaul it. 

37 minutes ago, Yexin said:

yeah, adding explorable castles and villages to read even more dialogues (that's what i love so much of PoR, just imagine exploring the prisons where daein's scientists made experiments on laguz first hand)

I'm not sure if they would be able to do that and keep the game's T rating. They might, but it would probably be very difficult. 

39 minutes ago, Yexin said:

Yeah; this is a pretty good list, though perhaps not dungeons. 

21 minutes ago, Benice said:
  1. Set a level cap for BEXP to prevent anyone from pullinng an RD Haar. Each chapter would have a cap level so  you couldn't BEXP people past that level. At least implement this on the harder modes.
  2. Give a hint about Stefan's location.
  3. If they add wind edges, buff them a little, because in RD they're weaker amd less accurate than javelins and handaxes.
  4. If they do a PoR remake, they're probably going to do an RD one. I would like to see more of the imported a-supports affecting supports in RD and stuff like that, but not so much that it becomes a necessary mechanic.
  5. Buff Rofl.

I can agree to this as well. Though Rolf is pretty good overall; I'd say the best way to improve Rolf and Mist would probably to make them level 3 or 5 rather than level 1. 

1 hour ago, whase said:

Don't give exploration respawnable enemies though.

sorry, i haven't specified this

by "1 extra level up and nothing more", i mean that each dungeon would grant a maximum of 100 exp point to a certain amount of units for the whole playthrough, and no, enemies wouldn't respawn: in PoR you fight beorc and laguz, not monsters

also, PoR is a linear FE game and has no world map (for the love of God i would NOT add a world map in a PoR remake), so every dungeon would be explorable only once: that would already be a fair limitation to prevent players from grinding

Edited by Yexin

3 minutes ago, Yexin said:

sorry, i haven't specified this

by "1 extra level up and nothing more", i mean that each dungeon would grant a maximum of 100 exp point to each unit for the whole playthrough

also, PoR is a linear FE game and has no world map (for the love of God i would NOT add a world map in a PoR remake), so every dungeon would be explorable only once: that would already be a fair limitation to prevent players from grinding

I know what you meant, though personally, instead of adding a max exp roof, I'd say don't make enemies respawn. running out of a room with one exit, and then return again immediately to find the same enemy returned would be illogical.

Though on second thought, I agree with vanguard333, they probably shouldn't add dungeons.

1 hour ago, Zihark11 said:

it should just get the same treatment as Valentia. Not changing to much and making the game look modern. Maybe change up the combat animations but i dont see much else changing 

For a remake that doesn't change too much and makes the game look more modern, one should look at Shadow Dragon, or Ocarina of Time 3D. Shadows of Valentia is what one should look at if their team is split in half on what they want to do with a remake and instead decide seemingly arbitrarily on what gets changed and what doesn't. 

I'm not surprised the no one has mentioned this yet, cause it's so obvious, but I just want to see damage numbers and hit chance during the combat animations. Probably my biggest complaint about this game honestly.

Maybe some stat rebalancing here and there (make knives less shit pls).

Laguz probably deserve a buff too, maybe, not sure, no 1-2 range is so bad though. Canto maybe?

Other than that it's mainly just things that are already in RD like being able to move skills around and showing hidden ones (like Canto), giving knives their own weapon level, etc.

9 hours ago, Benice said:

I honestly don't even think BEXP needs to have a level cap, it just needs scale differently.

Currently the amount of BEXP required grows exponentially meaning it only really ramps up at the last levels.

• LV00/01 -> LV00/02 takes 85 BEXP
  • LV00/20 -> LV20/01 takes 143 BEXP
  • LV20/19 -> LV20/20 takes 444 BEXP

Changing it to something more linearly scaling like (50 + 50*CurrentLevel) and adjusting the BEXP you get accordingly makes snowballing a lot harder and eliminates the sweet spot in the middle of the current curve.

• LV00/01 -> LV00/02 takes 100 BEXP
  • LV00/20 -> LV20/01 takes 1050 BEXP
  • LV20/19 -> LV20/20 takes 2000 BEXP

If that's still not enough you can make the BEXP required per level scale even more agresively.

This makes it so that letting units catch up is a lot cheaper and snowballing is a lot harder, the current chapter 8 dump becomes a lot worse if you want to use it for snowballing for example.

It even makes Rolf better.

He's still probably not good though.

My remake ideas:

• adding maniac mode because I consider this game as too easy
  • displayed combat whilst the battle animation
  • bonus experience shall be handled as in FE10 by raising always three stats
  • removable skills (taken off skills aren't vanished)
  • adding a SS fire and wind tome 
  • adding physical range sword
  • making use of the forging coins

9 hours ago, Classic said:

I'm not surprised the no one has mentioned this yet, cause it's so obvious, but I just want to see damage numbers and hit chance during the combat animations. Probably my biggest complaint about this game honestly.

YES, I completely forgot PoR doesn't show this, but that was really annoying.

Laguz probably deserve a buff too, maybe, not sure, no 1-2 range is so bad though. Canto maybe?

How to handle Laguz has always been a tough topic. The idea behind them is great and I like it, but they do need a buff to be viable. I'm against giving Laguz canto though, in my mind canto is for mounted units only.

I honestly don't even think BEXP needs to have a level cap, it just needs scale differently.

That could work.

About bexp, I'd actually prefer to see a system where low-level units auto-level between chapters instead. Not too much just some experience if they fall behind or something.

4 hours ago, Falcom Knight said:

adding a SS fire and wind tome

PoR doesn't have SS rank that was an RD thing, and in RD we do see SS fire and wind. Would be good to add those S rank tomes though.

adding physical range sword

Ragnell

Physical ranged swords feel weird though, I always felt the wind edge in RD to be weird too. I'd rather see more effective weapons to make swordlock less awful.

making use of the forging coins

Oh right these exist, I always found it weird they weren't usable. Do you think they should work the same as they did in RD?

I haven’t seen this brought up unless i skipped over it when reading the thread but honestly, all POR really needs is general Fire Emblem QoL changes, specifically the ones introduced in SD.

The worst part about fe9 is the enemy phase and animations take forever, being able to skip them with enter would be so good. Other things like auto-advance and a fast animation mode similar to 3ds fe and TH would be welcome too.

Besides skippable phases however i mostly agree with everything else. Damage numbers in combat would be great as well as RD wind edges and abilities. I do prefer the vanilla bases over a monastary like area however.

PoR doesn't have SS rank that was an RD thing, and in RD we do see SS fire and wind. Would be good to add those S rank tomes though.

Well yeah, meant a fire and wind tome with maximum weapon rank, so basically rexfire and rexcalibur.

Also dark magic would have been nice to fulfill the magic triangle...... maybe by adding a playable Sephiran.

Physical ranged swords feel weird though, I always felt the wind edge in RD to be weird too. I'd rather see more effective weapons to make swordlock less awful.

Why should swords be disadvantaged?

I don't already understand why armorslayers and knight killers were removed in FE10.

All weapons shall be treated equally.

Edited by Falcom Knight

• 4 weeks later...

So, Path of Radiance is a very solid game with excellent gameplay, but I do have some thoughts:

(2) Extra difficulty settings

The Japanese Lunatic and an extra Maddening.

Individualized Promotions:

Some Examples:

Spoiler

Ike - Ranger, Lord (Sword & Axe), Vanguard (in RD)

Soren - Wind Mage -> Tactician (Reason Magic and Sword) -> Grandmaster (in RD)

Illyana - Thunder Mage -> Traveler (Reason Magic and Bow) -> Merchant (in RD)

Tormod - Fire Mage -> Shaman (Reason Magic and Axe) -> Druid (in RD)

Bastian - Agent (Reason Magic and Dagger, Lockpicking enabled) -> Shadow (in RD)

Calill - Sage (Reason Magic and Faith Magic) -> Arch Sage (in RD)

(In Radiant Dawn, Micaiah goes from Light Mage -> Light Sage-> Priestess and Pelleas goes from Dark Mage -> Sorceror -> Summoner with an earlier recruitment in New Game +).

Boyd - Fighter -> Warrior (Axe and Bow) -> Reaver (in RD)

Largo - Berserker (Axe)

(In Radiant Dawn, Nolan goes from Fighter -> Rebel -> Berserker)

Titania - Veteran Knight (Axe, Sword) -> Guardian Knight (in RD)

Oscar - Lance Cavalier -> Paladin (Lance and Sword) -> Silver Knight (in RD)

Kieran - Axe Cavalier -> Great Knight (Axe, Lance) -> Gold Knight (in RD)

Astrid - Bow Cavalier -> Bow Knight (Bow and Sword) -> Nomad (in RD)

Makalov - Sword Cavalier -> Dark Knight (Sword and Reason Magic) -> Dark Rider (in RD).

Geoffery - Paragon (Lance and Bow) -> Valiant Knight (in RD)

(In RD, Fiona - Lance Cavalier -> Holy Knight wielding Lance and Faith -> White Rider).

(In RD - Renning - Redeemed Knight)

Mia - Myrmidon -> Swordmaster (pure sword) -> Trueblade (in RD)

Zihark - Myrmidon -> Hero (sword and axe) -> Avenger (in RD)

Stefan - Wayfarer (sword and bow) -> Vagabond (in RD)

Lucia - Bodyguard (sword and faith) -> Protector (in RD)

(In RD, Edward - Myrmidon -> Thunderblade using Sword and Reason -> Storm)

Combat arts

Probably unnecessary on Easy-Hard, but would be very beneficial on Lunatic and Maddening. Also, very helpful for archers, who just aren't great in PoR.

Close Counter for archers/snipers.

Maybe not for mounted archers like Astrid.

Three Houses-esque magic system, replacing traditional tomes and staves.

Tomes become equippable items adding effects to your attack spells, such as additional uses, or range. In Thani's case, it is a prf tome that adds Cavalry and Armor effectiveness.

Staves are equippable items that modify healing or support spells.

Personal and class exclusive skills that don't count towards the skill capacity.

Modern QoL updates such as highlight all enemy threat ranges and Casual Mode.

Make the Class Rings more integral to gameplay

Available on the first playthrough. Still improves growth rates but also adds an extra passive effect.

Edited by Etheus

On 3/5/2020 at 5:45 PM, Etheus said:

Three Houses-esque magic system, replacing traditional tomes and staves.

Where you can only use each spell 2 to 8 times per map, and only certain characters can use certain tomes/staves? No thank you!

On 3/5/2020 at 5:45 PM, Etheus said:

Available on the first playthrough.

The rings are only available on a second playthrough or higher.

21 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

The rings are only available on a second playthrough or higher.

Read the topic title, then read what you quoted again.

On 3/5/2020 at 12:45 PM, Etheus said:

Close Counter for archers/snipers.

Maybe not for mounted archers like Astrid.

I think Astrid should get this, it would give a reason to use her over Shinon and Rolf in RD. She is boardline useless in RD

But on the topic, getting the skill scrolls back after removing a skill(like in RD) would be something I would like to see

Edited by ciphertul

6 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

I think Astrid should get this, it would give a reason to use her over Shinon and Rolf in RD. She is boardline useless in RD

But on the topic, getting the skill scrolls back after removing a skill(like in RD) would be something I would like to see

I think RD needs a greater overall rebalancing. It's a really imbalanced, uneven, and sloppy game in so many regards. Ideally, units as straight up useless as RD Astrid would not exist.

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

I think RD needs a greater overall rebalancing. It's a really imbalanced, uneven, and sloppy game in so many regards. Ideally, units as straight up useless as RD Astrid would not exist.

I just think they shouldn’t have nerfed her stats so badly in RD. An marksman with double bow is so OP compared to Astrid that it makes her special boss talk worthless as you are not gonna field her 

25 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

I just think they shouldn’t have nerfed her stats so badly in RD. An marksman with double bow is so OP compared to Astrid that it makes her special boss talk worthless as you are not gonna field her 

Well, it isn't just Astrid. There's a lot of units who need substantial buffing in RD. Fiora, Leonardo, Meg, Tormod, Bastian, Pelleas, and almost all non-royal Laguz whose names aren't Volug immediately spring to mind.

Being a subpar unit in PoR isn't that big of a deal, because even the worst units are completely viable with how easy the game is, but RD is positively filled with straight up joke units.

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

Being a subpar unit in PoR isn't that big of a deal, because even the worst units are completely viable with how easy the game is, but RD is positively filled with straight up joke units.

Well that and the bexp abuse that game had

4 hours ago, ciphertul said:

Well that and the bexp abuse that game had

I'll take BExp over any other extra xp system.

Unlike auxiliary/grinding maps, it doesn't kill the game's pacing, it rewards faster completion with more BExp, and it is still a finite resource. I would go as far as to say that BExp is one of the best mechanics that the series has ever added, and its removal in subsequent games should legally constitute a war crime.