Fire Emblem Three Houses: Ideas for a "Revelations" route

*SPOILERS*

So, hear me out. I know it is a bit late, but I was finishing the last route for myself (Blue Lions) and listened to Lady of Hresvelg and realized a great way to execute a "Revelations" type route.

Everyone should know by now that Byleth, as well as Edelgard, both have the Crest of Flames. But what if they both had the ability to Time Pulse, unbeknownst to the player? Maybe they are even both aware of each possible timeline? It seems very plausible to me considering how she acts in Claude's route, how she says she wished you were her teacher instead, despite not really interacting with you on friendly terms. To me, its almost as if she knew about what could have potentially been. Another thing that leads me to this possible belief is that, of course, Lady of Hresvelg is Edelgard's perspective, which leaves little tidbits of every route in the song.

Being one of the main instigators of the central conflict, whether you believe she is good or bad, would Edelgard, along with Byleth's support, not be the perfect person to help clear up the misconceptions in each route? With that in mind, she would probably be able to bring all sides together, most likely against Those Who Slither in the Dark, as well as wipe away the false history of Fodlan created by Rhea.

Not only that, but with the final DLC on the rise, maybe the secret 4th house could help everyone come to this conclusion. Afterall, all 3 original houses work together to assist them. Its almost set up perfectly together and it wouldn't shock me for an additional DLC to get released that would have such an ending.

That's just my personal theory. I would like to hear others' personal theories as well as maybe improvements on my own.

Edited by WarriorAaron123

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The absolute best way is to not.

There shouldn't be some golden ending where everything is all sunshine and rainbows and everyone has a big harem wedding after the credits. The whole point is to decide what side of the conflict you want to support. Why are people so afraid of making hard decisions?

Not to mention that the plot of both Birthright and Conquest was made worse by the existence of Revelation, and I think IS realized that. They wouldn't be so stupid as to do it again.

The best way would be not to make it a golden ending. They could have the Houses team up to fight the dirty mole people but at the end of the day at least two of the lords should be dead as a doornail. 

I'd say making a Slitherer Patricia the main villain would be the best they could do. Without Edelgard as the main antagonist you need a new opponent and Thales just doesn't have what it takes to carry a story on his own. Patricia on the other hand would be a deeply personal villain for both Edelgard and Dimitri.

Edelgard will never be happy so long as the church of Seiros reigns. She will do anything to bring it down.
Dimitri Is on the church's side, and will fight for them when Edelgard inevitably attacks.
Claude basically agrees with Edelgard, but will never condone how far she's willing to go.

There is no ending that is a happy end for all of them, or at least that's how I understood the story.

2 hours ago, WarriorAaron123 said:

But what if they both had the ability to Time Pulse

Time Pulse comes from Sothis herself. Pretty sure Byleth and Edelgard can't both have Sothis' heart beating in their chests?

Wow. People here can be very demanding.

I get wanting a "Golden Route", you want good endings for all the characters you love. That would be quite hard to happen barring something significant changing in the main story that forces them to work together and cooperate, likely some outside force. It wouldn't be impossible to do, we know very little about the world outside of Fodlan, but it would require a pretty major invasion or something like Ashera deciding she'd had enough and turning a bunch of people to stone over the constant fighting.

There is just not a way for it to work. Edelgard want to destroy Rhea far more than she want to destroy the slithers, so there is no way she can cooperate whit Rhea, wich would be necessary for a golden route. Unless you mean it as a "3 lords unite, fuck the church" route. 

Edited by Flere210

It is impossible to have a Golden route. 

Because as Sylvain states in CF, everyone is fighting for their own ideals/desires. 

@WarriorAaron123

However, say that we go about the benefit of giving merit to your idea of both Edelgard and Byleth time traveling back to their school state.

Basically, the point is that the three main people need to be dealt with.

• Dimitri has to be able to let go of his desire for vengeance. 
  • Claude needs to learn to trust others. 
  • Rhea needs to be willing to step down and let go of trying to revive Sothis.

The MOST I can consider is Claude really. Edelgard knowing that Claude is Almyran might talk to him and try to win his trust or something along those lines, in that she also believes that the xenophobia is a problem. 

Edited by omegaxis1

54 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Because as Sylvain states in CF, everyone is fighting for their own ideals/desires. 

@WarriorAaron123

However, say that we go about the benefit of giving merit to your idea of both Edelgard and Byleth time traveling back to their school state.

The MOST I can consider is Claude really. Edelgard knowing that Claude is Almyran might talk to him and try to win his trust or something along those lines, in that she also believes that the xenophobia is a problem. 

Hardest of all: Edelgard must be ok whit Rhea not getting punished. All the other things you mentioned happen in some route, while Edelgard never let go her animosity toward Rhea.

2 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

Hardest of all: Edelgard must be ok whit Rhea not getting punished. All the other things you mentioned happen in some route, while Edelgard never let go her animosity toward Rhea.

Yeah, Rhea is absolutely the hardest. 

But Rhea is also just as unwilling to give up on her things. It took 5 years of being imprisoned for her to finally realize the error of her ways.

Just now, Flere210 said:

Before Edelgard started the conflict she was considering stepping out in favor of SSJ Byleth, but we don't know what she was expecting from the cerimony(and how she would react if things went differently than what she wanted).

she was hoping Sothis to posses Byleth

12 minutes ago, darkblade2814 said:

the throne thing was meant as a confirmation thing

That was Rhea that wanted that. Edelgard was PISSED because she was sure it meant Byleth would side with the church. She basically gave up on the idea of working with them. That's why she assumes you're going to oppose her after the Holy Tomb, and why in CF she's so legitimately shocked that you take her side.

Yeah, I think people mostly don't want a golden ending because the last time they tried that... Yeah, it didn't go so well. I think one of the biggest probems witth Revelation was that the gameplay was awful. I wouldn't know because I haven't played either game, but I do know I'm a sucker for a happy ending. It would be difficult, but it could be a common enemy/temporary alliance that becomes less temporary.

Sorry but nope, like really nope. I made my case multiple times, it would kill the concept of choices, the "you stick for it" part, and undermind all the other routes.

1 hour ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Wow. People here can be very demanding.

I get wanting a "Golden Route", you want good endings for all the characters you love. That would be quite hard to happen barring something significant changing in the main story that forces them to work together and cooperate, likely some outside force. It wouldn't be impossible to do, we know very little about the world outside of Fodlan, but it would require a pretty major invasion or something like Ashera deciding she'd had enough and turning a bunch of people to stone over the constant fighting.

Yes, because it worked soooooo well in Radiant Dawn and Revelation. Totally not ass pull 😛

1 hour ago, omegaxis1 said:

It's even harder than that. 3 out of 4 of them have deep psychological issues, they're also to an extent, self-righteous jerkasses.

To convince Dimitri to stop being crazy, a father figure had to die, and Cornelia had to conveniently say that no, a six year old Edelgard isn't actually responsible for all the woes in the world. Rhea would need to stop being a pathological liar, which she stop being in one route, that kill everything that look at her church funny.

I am conflicted on the idea of a golden ending. On one hand, the strongest aspects of Three Houses’ story is that most of the tragedy that occurs over the course of the game would have been avoidable if certain people were able to reach out to each-other. A golden ending removes that tragedy, but it would also vindicate that theme also by showing us how that communication would solve things.

Obviously in this discussion we have to talk about Revelations. The writing there was bad. But then, that was a Fates-wide issue, so it could be different here.

The primary issue with a Golden Ending is that it automatically becomes the “canon” and “best” ending of the bunch. As soon as a Golden Ending happens, everything else feels lesser because we know there’s a situation where it all worked out optimally. I think there’s a way to get around the issue though.

If I was writing a Golden Route, first of all I would make Rhea the main enemy of it and have her die at the end. It fits her character that she would be completely unable to trust Edelgard, and having her die means that it’s not a truly perfect ending either.

The second thing I would do is limit what students actually become playable, and have some die over the course of the story. Perhaps some of the Blue Lions disagree and turn on Dimitri for working with the Church, stuff like that.

On conclusion I think I would like a “golden” Route, but in writing it a great deal of care has to be taken so it doesn’t make the other routes lesser.

Edited by Robertos

Edelgard as the Azura with the hidden answers to solving Fodlan's problems? I think it wouldn't gel at all with her behavior in other routes if she suddenly turned on the Slitherers - even if a lot of us think that's what she should have been plotting from the start rather than working for them. Her expression of remorse in Golden Deer/Silver Snow really just seems like a weird retcon when compared against the final scene of Blue Lions.

That having been said, yeah it's pretty uncanny how similar the three Lord's goals are when you break them down. And I think the idea that they could have been friends in another life is supposed to add to that tragedy. Fates made the same point in the dinner scene of Conquest. So like that game's Revelations, having a route like this would hurt the writing of the individual routes. 

If I did want to do a Revelations route, it would definitely involve Byleth using his Divine Pulse to go back to the start with all his future knowledge and averting tragedies while he tries to get the major players of Fodlan to see eye to eye with everything he's learned. Seeing the quality of the routes we have, I can't imagine an issue that'd make it immediately worse, the bar is just so low. None of them were satisfying or engaging, and all of them lacked agency for Byleth which is what this route could certainly address.

6 hours ago, Sid Starkiller said:

The absolute best way is to not.

There shouldn't be some golden ending where everything is all sunshine and rainbows and everyone has a big harem wedding after the credits. The whole point is to decide what side of the conflict you want to support. Why are people so afraid of making hard decisions?

I disagree. What's wrong wanting to see everyone get a redemption arc? I'm not afraid of making hard decisions, I pick Edelgard indefinitely, as I have played her route multiple times through. If you think a redemption arc undermines the other routes, you wouldn't even have to buy it, as many people are now aware of potential endings, like Revelations.  Radiant Dawn, too, although it is not as well known. I was merely wanting to discuss a good way to execute such a route. I personally prefer at least a potential way to get a golden ending. It seems very potential in CF if Edelgard wasn't so hasty to kill off Dimitri. It even seemed to me, he was more stable in CF than most of AM until Rodrigue dies. I feel that could be rectified entirely if Cornelia is somehow convinced to let the information she let out in AM slip. Rodrigue was already theorizing that there had to be more to the Tragedy of Duscur.

2 hours ago, Flere210 said:

There is just not a way for it to work. Edelgard want to destroy Rhea far more than she want to destroy the slithers, so there is no way she can cooperate whit Rhea, wich would be necessary for a golden route. Unless you mean it as a "3 lords unite, fuck the church" route. 

I wouldn't say that necessarily. Edelgard means to undo the system Rhea basically established, not simply because she just hates her. Sure, they may not be friends, but I could see it being possible Rhea could see the error of her ways through a mix of intervention from Byleth, Those Who Slither in the Dark, and maybe even Sothis. Honestly, why can't Byleth just say "Sothis said this". Of course, that's a simpleton fix but even it is plausible. That's why I asked for other theories. Maybe even Flayn and Seteth could aid Byleth in convincing her.

As for Edelgard, especially if she can see the alternate timelines, I think she can learn to let it go. Forgiveness is a thing and Edelgard has proven to be mostly reasonable.

2 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

@WarriorAaron123

I'm pretty sure Claude could easily be convinced by Edelgard through negotiations with the Almyrans. That seems like a simple fix, and with connections to the newest DLC, his trust issues could be somewhat rectified there. Probably the best way to rectify that is through Byleth, as I said, in Claude's own route, Edelgard is significantly and uncannily trusting of Byleth, again almost as if she has the ability to know the alternative, but even if she doesn't, why can't Byleth not win Claude's heart if he can win that stubborn girl's heart. He even talks about friendship and the ability to scale the walls between each other in the fight against Nemesis. Dimitri would probably be the main challenge but I listed a potential solution or at least a start to one.

If everyone who has played every route or at least knows of what happens would stop and think for a moment, is there not a way everything ties together?

Also, why does everyone seem to think Sothis is the only one with the power to time travel? Even if she were some almighty being like Rhea preaches, would that not mean she could assist Edelgard, too? I mean, come on, Those Who Slither in the Dark made basically robots and nuclear weaponry.

Edited by WarriorAaron123

8 minutes ago, WarriorAaron123 said:

Also, why does everyone seem to think Sothis is the only one with the power to time travel? Even if she were some almighty being like Rhea preaches, would that not mean she could assist Edelgard, too? I mean, come on, Those Who Slither in the Dark made basically robots and nuclear weaponry.

Because she is? She PERSONALLY gives you the power to do it. It's not her blood, it's her soul acting through you.

18 minutes ago, Robertos said:

I am conflicted on the idea of a golden ending. On one hand, the strongest aspects of Three Houses’ story is that most of the tragedy that occurs over the course of the game would have been avoidable if certain people were able to reach out to each-other. A golden ending removes that tragedy, but it would also vindicate that theme also by showing us how that communication would solve things.

Obviously in this discussion we have to talk about Revelations. The writing there was bad. But then, that was a Fates-wide issue, so it could be different here.

The primary issue with a Golden Ending is that it automatically becomes the “canon” and “best” ending of the bunch. As soon as a Golden Ending happens, everything else feels lesser because we know there’s a situation where it all worked out optimally. I think there’s a way to get around the issue though.

If I was writing a Golden Route, first of all I would make Rhea the main enemy of it and have her die at the end. It fits her character that she would be completely unable to trust Edelgard, and having her die means that it’s not a truly perfect ending either.

The second thing I would do is limit what students actually become playable, and have some die over the course of the story. Perhaps some of the Blue Lions disagree and turn on Dimitri for working with the Church, stuff like that.

On conclusion I think I would like a “golden” Route, but in writing it a great deal of care has to be taken so it doesn’t make the other routes lesser.

See, I can agree with these ideas. It's a much better approach than Revelations "suck it up" attitude towards the other two routes in terms of undermining them. It was poorly executed in release especially, as people can ignore the other routes entirely since it came almost immediately after them. Even if the developers did do it again, it probably won't hit as hard since everyone has had time to play through all routes unlike Revelations.

As for the idea of not everyone surviving to the end of a "golden route", while, to me, it kind of defeats the purpose of the potential forgiveness, it would satisfy a lot of people worrying it would undermine the efforts of the other routes. Plus, I am totally on board with Rhea dying after all she did, especially CF's ending. Maybe she could end up sacrificing herself like in other routes. 

It would be extremely bittersweet and maybe even too much, but maybe in a struggle with Those Who Slither in the Dark, all of the main lords die, again making Byleth a supreme leader of Fodlan.

54 minutes ago, WarriorAaron123 said:

As for Edelgard, especially if she can see the alternate timelines, I think she can learn to let it go. Forgiveness is a thing and Edelgard has proven to be mostly reasonable.

The big issue with that is Edelgard simply cannot do that, as it would force her to come to the conclusion that every person she killed or ended up dead due to her actions and cause was for naught, which goes against everything she stands for. Vindicating her mindset is the only way she sees that will let her make peace with her actions, and failing to do so outside of her route is what leads her to reject Dimitri's plea for peace by stabbing him in AM or to demand her execution in GD/SS just so it can stop any future pointless bloodshed coming from the empire after her defeat.

Edited by Moltz23

1 hour ago, Benice said:

Yeah, I think people mostly don't want a golden ending because the last time they tried that... Yeah, it didn't go so well. I think one of the biggest probems witth Revelation was that the gameplay was awful. I wouldn't know because I haven't played either game, but I do know I'm a sucker for a happy ending. It would be difficult, but it could be a common enemy/temporary alliance that becomes less temporary.

Not just because the gameplay was awful (it's definitely the worst FE game ever), but also because the story is absolute dog shit. For something that's built as a Golden Ending, it just felt so rushed, contrived, and unsatisfying