Fire Emblem Three Houses: Ideas for a "Revelations" route

I had a crazy idea.

What about having Byleth pulsing wayyyyy back, doing things like preventing the tragedy of duscur or Thales from replacing Arundhel, and dealing whit the butterfly effect untill he find a path where the good people can be happy? It's kinda a classic VN plot.

Edited by Flere210

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just the topic I've been waiting for... I made a rewrite for a "golden route". But, after finishing it, I feel disappointed by it's quality. Can anyone here read it and give me some pointers on how to improve the story? I'd really appreciate it...

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13481147/1/Fire-Emblem-Three-Houses-Vermillion-Twilight-Route

On 2/8/2020 at 10:49 AM, Sid Starkiller said:

Except none of them are the type of person who would just talk about their problems. Dimitri's been bottling up his rage over Duscur for 8 years and is a walking powder keg, Claude has severe trust issues due to all the racial abuse he's had to deal with his whole life, and Edelgard is a paranoid trauma victim who's about to launch a coup, meaning secrecy is key to successfully launch her offensive. Where exactly do you see them sitting down for a nice pleasant chat?

And it's not like therapists exist in Fodlan, or else Seteth would've hired Rhea a grief counselor after Nemesis was killed and this whole thing wouldn't have happened at all.

...Which would be the whole point of a "Golden Ending Route". It would be YOUR job, as the player, to set things up so that the house leaders will talk about their problems. Whether it be by Divine Pulsing a bunch of times, digging deeper into the Leaders' lives, or arranging a meeting between them. Heck, this Golden Ending can be restricted to New Game +, where it can be revealed that Byleth used a massive Divine Pulse to go waaaay back in time and try to find out if they can do things differently. (Maybe, if that's the case, they can even save Jeralt - not by killing Kronya before she can strike, but by warning Jeralt so that he can defend himself.)

This doesn't look much like a Revelations route (no hidden third party that threatens to destroy everything)... but this Golden Route could end in one or two ways:
1 - Those Who Slither in the Dark attack and need to be defeated after solving the conflict between the house Leaders. (Which is more like Revelations, as there is a "true enemy")
2 - The timeskip revolves around solving the conflict between the house Leaders and the Golden Ending is reached when the house Leaders are saved from killing each other.

15 hours ago, TheArchsage said:

Exactly! People on here saying that we shouldn't have a "Golden Route" (don't like the term golden route, seems too bias towards Claude, lol) are either plain unimaginative or want everyone in the world to not enjoy something that literally wouldn't affect them simply because of their own personal tastes.

I say have that option. Have it so that, if you play your supports right and make certain choices, albeit difficult, you could persuade members to actually tolerate or even get along well with one another. Why is there no support options between Edelgard and Dimitri, EVER? Not even pre-timeskip? Why? It's ridiculous.

Agreed. I also realised that this game lacks an actual Fire Emblem, too. The entire plot of this game is completely different from previous titles.

Now, I don't hate Revelations. I actually love it because I can have Nohrians and Hoshidans roaming ALIVE in my castle. Neither Xander nor Ryoma have to die, and the plot is actually quite interesting. The protagonist's flaws (too much kindness) even work for them. I'd say the gameplay is pretty neat, too. And the fact the the whole conflict was nobody's fault (not even Anankos's fault if you consider that he simply went insane) kinda makes you REALLY think about whether we should be holding people accountable for things when there could be a bigger picture (our legal system takes that too far, mind you)!
Also, I feel Revelations to be the best choice for Corrin, as they are torn between two families, both of which they love so much, so they say "I wanna be with the both of you! Let's stop this conflict and work things out, shall we!" Also, Xander comes to his fricken senses long before it's too late!

On 2/7/2020 at 11:52 PM, Sid Starkiller said:

The absolute best way is to not.

There shouldn't be some golden ending where everything is all sunshine and rainbows and everyone has a big harem wedding after the credits. The whole point is to decide what side of the conflict you want to support. Why are people so afraid of making hard decisions?

Agree, doing something like this would just spoil the whole concept of Three Houses.

Edited by Eurydice

Many people especially on page 1 say it wouldn't work out but I feel since all parties have a common enemy there could be a potential golden end.

I mean... Byleth literally sides with every side throughout the Routes and agrees with all of them if he chooses to. You, as the player, do so as well, technically. It's totally possible to sympathize with all Routes isn't it? I didn't find that hard at all. And therefore personally I came to the conclusion: If noone is objectively in the wrong here then it's also possible for everyone to agree on that.

First of all: What does Rhea want?
One could think as head of the Church of Seiros she wants the Church to continue existing and therefore this is incompatible with Edelgards goals.
In game Rhea rarely referred to the Nobility in a way that makes me believe she wants the nobility to stay no matter what though.
All in all I feel like Rhea just wants to 'revive' Sothis. She'd go really far with that. What if she just gets her back? What if that reborn Sothis just tells her that the Nobility has to go?

So what I could see happening is:
We get a Route that focusses on Those who slither in the Dark. Even before Edelgard starts a war something happens that makes everyone aware of TWSITD's existence and their plans.
That makes even Edelgard reconsider her initial plans. 
Basically a 'common enemy' scenario. While that route progresses Byleth would have a different connection to Sothis. Don't know what makes the most sense tbf. Maybe they fuse normally but Sothis then awakens even more so that Byleth even remembers Sothis' life which essentially makes Byleth a reborn Sothis. Or maybe they don't fuse at all and Sothis starts remembering by herself. 

Whatever it is - after THSITD have been dealt with there'd be Byleth and all three houses and the church. With Byleth practically confirmed to be Sothis reborn he could just unite them all because let's be real whichever Route we choose before in the end everyone was licking Byleth's boots anyways.
If the reborn mother of Rhea tells her that the Nobility has to go, then Rhea won't oppose.
With the Nobility gone, Edelgard has no reason to delete the church. Furthermore Edelgard didn't even struck me as 'opposed to Religion' so even she would acknowledge Byleth as a reborn Goddess.

The other two houses weren't that keen on upholding the Nobility as it is before 3H either.

Dimitris Grudge against Edelgard can also be dismissed by blaming TWSITD instead because you know, they were the ones responsible for Duscur anyways (I kinda forgot... was that ever confirmed somewhere or just hinted at? whatever it was - it didn't make really sense to blame Edelgard as mainly responsible anyways.)
I wasn't happy with that clash anyways. He's like "why did you do the things you did in Duscur?" and Edelgards like "well I haven't done it" and yeah he just didn't believe her. I felt this was just a poor way to establish a conflict. She's not with TWSITD. It's despicable that she's cooperating with them to a degree but if that kinda doesn't happen because of a golden route then I don't see why this couldn't be solved.

And now after I wrote all this: No, I don't want this either. If that ever happens I won't be having a problem with it though.

Edited by Fireside

1 hour ago, WeAreNewcastle1053 said:

...Which would be the whole point of a "Golden Ending Route". It would be YOUR job, as the player, to set things up so that the house leaders will talk about their problems. Whether it be by Divine Pulsing a bunch of times, digging deeper into the Leaders' lives, or arranging a meeting between them. Heck, this Golden Ending can be restricted to New Game +, where it can be revealed that Byleth used a massive Divine Pulse to go waaaay back in time and try to find out if they can do things differently. (Maybe, if that's the case, they can even save Jeralt - not by killing Kronya before she can strike, but by warning Jeralt so that he can defend himself.)

This doesn't look much like a Revelations route (no hidden third party that threatens to destroy everything)... but this Golden Route could end in one or two ways:
1 - Those Who Slither in the Dark attack and need to be defeated after solving the conflict between the house Leaders. (Which is more like Revelations, as there is a "true enemy")
2 - The timeskip revolves around solving the conflict between the house Leaders and the Golden Ending is reached when the house Leaders are saved from killing each other.

You're missing the point: I DON'T WANT A GOLDEN ROUTE. The very idea spits on the game's themes. If IS added a golden route, I would be legitimately angry with them, and legitimately think less of the game for having it.

1 hour ago, WeAreNewcastle1053 said:

I also realised that this game lacks an actual Fire Emblem, too.

The Crest of Flames is the Fire Emblem.

1 hour ago, Sid Starkiller said:

You're missing the point: I DON'T WANT A GOLDEN ROUTE.

Yes. Alot of people don't want a Golden Route, and i think (not sure xD) i am one of them as well.

Doesn't mean discussing it can't be fun 😉

1 hour ago, Fireside said:

In game Rhea rarely referred to the Nobility in a way that makes me believe she wants the nobility to stay no matter what though.

If anything, she hates them. The only reason she hides stuff like ''Relic weapon turn crestless into monster'' because it will cause a massive unrest. 

Edelgard

And here's the biggest problem why a golden route is almost impossible. Edelgard is very hard to sway with words, if not impossible. 

He's like "why did you do the things you did in Duscur?" and Edelgards like "well I haven't done it" and yeah he just didn't believe her.

Of course he won't. No one in his place would. And while she didn't cause it, she allied herself with those who did. In Jeralt's words ''Your Words are meaningles''

Honestly, before the game came out, i thought it will be kinda like Radiant Historia, with us switching between route/timelines until we reach the true end. I still think it would make for an interesting concept.

Seriously though, Verdant Winds is the closest to a golden end we will get.

a part of me likes the sound of this. But then I remember actual revelations. It shouldn't be a thing in three houses. Sure,  I love these characters and what them all to be happy but look at what these games tell us bout the characters? This also applies to birthright and conquest. There is nothing good from war. People you care about, ultimately have a chance for death. I've only played Golden Deer to completion and at first, I had hoped there was revelations. But when I played revelations sure it might have cleared my questions from conquest, but it failed in many ways and raised more questions. Three houses, while on the verdant wind path, sure I wanted Dimitri to live, but I knew deep down he probably will be one of the faces buried. Its inevitable. The same could be said playing azure moon. I don't want to hurt edelgard or claude, or any of the former cast, but it is something we as the player must realize could happen. So don't wish for something that isn't. Because like conquest and birthright, it can downright spoil and ruin what you and everyone else love about three houses, while undermined the point this game and fates were trying to make. And even then, why would the house leaders join? Claude and Dimitri maybe, but why would edelgard? Having her join and be buddy-buddy with Dimitri will just be horribly out of her character. Once again, take a look at revelations, remember its a dumpster fire that caused conquest and birthright to have a lower value and be the one that you remember isn't cannon!

Seriously, good idea, but would make no sense in game.

My idea is similar to what has already been said: No Golden route.

Though I liked Fates and the three routes it had, I thought Revelations significantly undermined the other two.

That and judging by this thread alone, a Golden route can only be a recipe for disaster. Let's not make TH a bigger mess than it already is.

Personally, I would much rather have a 5th route not a side story. One where Byleth decides to part with Jeralt and strikes out on their own as a free roaming mercenary rather than going along to Garrech mach. Much more potential there. Would love to see how the story changes with Byleth never becoming a professor.

7 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Yes. Alot of people don't want a Golden Route, and i think (not sure xD) i am one of them as well.

Doesn't mean discussing it can't be fun 😉

That's fair, it just felt like he was trying to convince me that it was a good idea, and I was trying to inform him that he's wasting his time.

The people who do want it are free to discuss amongst themselves their ideas, I just won't agree with any of them.

Of course he won't. No one in his place would. And while she didn't cause it, she allied herself with those who did. In Jeralt's words ''Your Words are meaningles''

I dunno, if Edelgard actually remembered this time of her life she'd be like "I was six year old you dumbass !". 😛

And then, either the characters realizes how dump this is to blame Edelgard, and that perhaps they should look further and behind her, or they're stupid like Dimitri. But Dimitri have the excuses to have a lot of mental issues. 

It's also interesting to note that there is probably unknowingly, a sort a double standard. 6 year old Dimitri fail to stop the Serenes Massacre ? Obviously it's not his fault. But Edelgard being ? She's the devil incarnate. I also dislike how the peoples of Begnion are not hold accountable for their actions as they are perhaps more to blame than the Dubstep-men.
there a joke here can you see it ?

Seriously though, Verdant Winds is the closest to a golden end we will get.

One thing I dislike about GD, it's stupidly shounen at times, like, really stupid at times. There's also the fact that the Almyrans are stupidly put in the game. "lolilol we love war we do it for fun", what the hell...

I also kind of love/hate Claude.

But we have god shattering dance battle so it's half-forgiven.

1 hour ago, B.Leu said:

if Edelgard actually remembered this time of her life she'd be like "I was six year old you dumbass !

She was 12/13 actually, as it happened 4 years before the start of the game.

Now, doesn't change your point much, but she still worked with those who did it. That alone would greatly piss most people off, now add Dimitri's mental health....

Yeah.

1 hour ago, B.Leu said:

But Edelgard being ? She's the devil incarnate.

Her imperial waifuness has alot of blood on her hands, even if the duscur thing isn't one of them.

1 hour ago, B.Leu said:

t's stupidly shounen at times, like, really stupid at times.

Shounen =/= bad. And the only time it was really shounen was Claude's friendship line. That line perfectly resembels his Character development.

1 hour ago, B.Leu said:

"lolilol we love war we do it for fun", what the hell...

I will qoute best boi Claude here

"If that's what you believe then that's whar you were led to believe" 😉

Edited by Shrimperor

But with the almyrians isn't it kinda established that it's their culture? Listen to some of claude's supports. Almyrians hate the people of fodlan because they see them as weak and cowardly. It's a reason why they don't get along. I will agree there are moments of Verdant Wind that get very Shounen, but that's not bad. It works well and helps with the character arc that is happening with claude.

23 minutes ago, Thatinsaneone said:

Almyrians hate the people of fodlan because they see them as weak and cowardly.

prejudices. One of the biggest points in Claude's route. Almyrans and Fodlandians don't really know each other. All they know are prejudices.

I mean, their king married someone from Fodlan.

12 hours ago, Sid Starkiller said:

You're missing the point: I DON'T WANT A GOLDEN ROUTE. The very idea spits on the game's themes. If IS added a golden route, I would be legitimately angry with them, and legitimately think less of the game for having it.

The Crest of Flames is the Fire Emblem.

that depends on what you think are the games themes, i think a golden route would solidify it. the theme to me and many others is perspective, in every route you see how just a change of perspective paints how you see people and how the actions of one person can change everything. so like i said before the best way to do a golden route would require you to do every path to unlock it(something ive found most people wont do because "edelgard bad") and have byleth remember all the routes so they have a way and reason to change things.

Edited by ecoho

I think that Three Houses could do an excellent job with a "unified" route of some kind. A chance to go into depth with TWSITD as antagonists in a way that's lacking in every other route, justification from the Divine Pulse for Byleth making the different choices necessary (rather than just... doing it, for whatever reason, a la Fates and even Radiant Dawn), and a good opportunity to get characters interacting that we don't normally see interact much (one of the reasons I'm excited for Cindered Shadows, honestly, is maybe seeing the Lords interact more than they do in-game).

They also shouldn't make it, specifically because of how bad Revelations was. Three Houses seems to be an attempt to fix Fates' mistakes in storytelling, with multiple routes and fighting people who otherwise could be your allies, and after Revelations that needs to be left to stand on its own, I think. Even though it could be done and done well, and 3H could get away with it in a vacuum, it's not a game released in a vacuum.

As much as people like to hate on Silver Snow, I think it fills the "golden route" role that people interested in that would want. Just recruit everyone and play SS. That way, only three people anyone cares for need to die:

(Spoilers)

1. The one who started the war

2. The one who is willing to commit patricide and other blood-stained acts for the former

3. The one who goes on a crazed murderous rampage for roughly five years (and was in constant insanity and mental torture all throughout)

If you're not okay with the story killing those kind of characters, Idk what to tell you, because I feel like the death of each can be rationalized in the "golden route" of a war story (I cannot say the same for a certain eternal punishment in the "golden route" of Undertale).

(End spoilers)

I'd also contend that it's the only route where Byleth takes some initiative to handle things rather than just being a silent sidekick (albeit they're still mostly silent). Honestly felt like their final leadership position (and interaction with Edelgard) made a lot more sense in SS than in VW.

It's doable.  But it would take some absolutely amazing writing to pull off.  The following things would need to be addressed:

- Edelgard needs her vengeance on the church and the Slithers, somehow.
- Dimitri needs closure on his past
- Claude would have to trust that the other two wouldn't screw it up

Best way would be if Rhea stepped down voluntarily after explaining the issue with Byleth.  She'd still be around, but her role would be to provide information to the good guys, since she's dealt with them before.  With the church out of the way, it will give the Slithers an excuse to make their move, and that's where both Edelgard and Dimitri have common ground.  Claude's role would be getting information out of Rhea, and making sure Fodlan wasn't invaded by the likes of Sreng/Dagda while this is going down (getting Almyra/Brigid on their side would be a huge help).  Once Dimitri and Edelgard agree on who to fight, and where, it would then be a matter of writing the Slithers in such a way that they're not mustache-twirling villains, while being an actual threat.  Having everyone face off against Nemesis would be pretty nifty.

1 hour ago, Scientific Tails said:

As much as people like to hate on Silver Snow, I think it fills the "golden route" role that people interested in that would want. Just recruit everyone and play SS.

The thing is, a golden route by definition is that one story path that gives you both the most content, most rewards and the best ending. Silver Snow, both from a gameplay and story perspective, misses all three of those checklists, as compared to Azure Moon and Verdant Wind, it takes away 2 route exclusive units from you midgame AND one deployment slot for all main story chapters, has no unique paralogues, has one less chapter (leaving a gap which actually creates a slight difficulty spike between Chapter 16 an 17) and it ends up with Fodlan having all of its main 3 lords dead and territories wrecked. In return, the only thing you get is a different final chapter, one exclusive reveal, the Slitherers end up mostly defeated *cough*Cornelia*cough*, and you get the chance to marry a character who never becomes deployable in spite of joining the party plot-wise late in the route.

(This is coming from someone who did Silver Snow and everyone recruited btw. Not many reasons to do the route more than once sadly.)

IMO, the closes thing 3Hs has to a Golden Route is Azure Moon, and even then, that one is still missing 4 characters, ends up killing one of the lords in the end, leaves the Patricia subplot unresolved, gives Rhea no role whatsoever in Part 2, and the Shady Dubstep Molemen are still around in the end even if their old hierarchy was killed during the war.

As for the topic at hand...

An actual Golden Route for 3Hs is very hard to pull off without rewriting either Edelgard or Rhea in my opinion, as the conflict hinges on both wanting to impose their ideal world onto everyone some way or another. I do think it's possible though, and the best way to start would be by fleshing out "Those who slither in the dark", and giving them some sort of secret boss who's pulling everyone's strings or something.

Edited by Moltz23

5 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

She was 12/13 actually, as it happened 4 years before the start of the game.

Now, doesn't change your point much, but she still worked with those who did it. That alone would greatly piss most people off, now add Dimitri's mental health....

Yeah.

Her imperial waifuness has alot of blood on her hands, even if the duscur thing isn't one of them.

Shounen =/= bad. And the only time it was really shounen was Claude's friendship line. That line perfectly resembels his Character development.

I will qoute best boi Claude here

"If that's what you believe then that's whar you were led to believe" 😉

Huh... Why the bloody hell did I think they were six then... ?
That doesn't really change my point, you have to be either traumatised (Dimitri) or retarted (pretty much everyone else) to think a kid did a massacre by herself.

No shit Edelgard have blood on her hands. Everyone does. 😛

I said "stupidly shounen" not "shounen", there's a difference. Like that speech Claude did ? That wasn't just shounen, that was smart, the action itself too, that was cool !
I was talking about: Claude's ""Hilariously Abusive Childhood", Nader and Claude shooting arrows at each others for fun, with said arrows colliding mid air, this kind of thing.

Oh yeah speaking of Almyra, but they're suspension of disbelief destroyer, they, well Claude really, try to sell them as a country we should accept and bla and bla, but on the facts, they're just a bunch of murder hobos joke characters, their strongest guy Nader too, who do war for fun, who don't die when they are killed, in a game where this kind of thing is suposed to be midly serious.
I see the beauty of GD about overcoming prejudices and stuffs, but I feel it to be wasted on them imo.

Maybe the point is precisely that it's the only things we know about them, buuuuuuut... It's not surprising really, they're close to Holst's wall, must have been contagious.

16 minutes ago, eclipse said:

It's doable.  But it would take some absolutely amazing writing to pull off.  The following things would need to be addressed:

- Edelgard needs her vengeance on the church and the Slithers, somehow.
- Dimitri needs closure on his past
- Claude would have to trust that the other two wouldn't screw it up

Best way would be if Rhea stepped down voluntarily after explaining the issue with Byleth.  She'd still be around, but her role would be to provide information to the good guys, since she's dealt with them before.  With the church out of the way, it will give the Slithers an excuse to make their move, and that's where both Edelgard and Dimitri have common ground.  Claude's role would be getting information out of Rhea, and making sure Fodlan wasn't invaded by the likes of Sreng/Dagda while this is going down (getting Almyra/Brigid on their side would be a huge help).  Once Dimitri and Edelgard agree on who to fight, and where, it would then be a matter of writing the Slithers in such a way that they're not mustache-twirling villains, while being an actual threat.  Having everyone face off against Nemesis would be pretty nifty.

I think I've figured it out - Claude gets Byleth to lure Edelgard and Dimitri into the Holy Tomb, and lock them in together. Either they work out their issues and come to an understanding, so they can unite against Twiztid; or they kill eachother, leaving Claude to unite and rule Fódlan. Win-win!

2 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I think I've figured it out - Claude gets Byleth to lure Edelgard and Dimitri into the Holy Tomb, and lock them in together. Either they work out their issues and come to an understanding, so they can unite against Twiztid; or they kill eachother, leaving Claude to unite and rule Fódlan. Win-win!

Or you can play VW and get the same thing. ;/

23 minutes ago, B.Leu said:

Huh... Why the bloody hell did I think they were six then... ?

Because they look way younger than they're supposed to be. I think their shared past was originally supposed to happen earlier in their lives, but IS realized it didn't line up with when Edelgard would've been in Fhirdiad. That way Edelgard forgetting Dimitri would make sense (how well do you remember what you did when you were 6?).

Going to be difficult to have an ending where everyone is holding hands singing Kumbaya. I can see tweaking some characters to make it fit the story. After all, certain individuals are altered to suit the needs of the writing in parts of the 4 routes but that's a discussion for another day. If there is going to be a golden ending, I' want the characters to fight for it. Both psychically and mentally. Edelgard needs to realize how much suffering she is causing. Dimitri must comes to terms with his past.  An idea I had was the TWISTED gets defeated but the status quo mostly remains hinting that there will be another Edelgard esque person in the future.

As a pure gameplay thing, I think there is merit.  All the characters would be too many, but I would like it if IntSys made a DLC5 pack where you had some sort of sped-up, plotless, monastery-and-training-absent FE game that threw escalating maps at you and with some more freeform method of recruiting & building characters.  Don't even attempt to give it a plot, anything more than "Byleth having a creepy nightmare" or FEH Tempest Trials or something.  Since we're plotless, throw in the kitchen sink of characters - let us have Edelgard, Dimitri, Cornelia, Randolph, Saint Rhea, Archbishop Rhea, Acheron, and Ignatz all on the same team if the RNG decrees.  Similar to Randomizers, could just use the existing stock of maps with some simple rules for scaling up & down enemy levels & stats and preventing really late maps from showing up too early.  This would be somewhat similar to running the Lagdou Ruins in FE8, and you can have everyone live and high-five everyone afterward for a happy Golden Ending.

As a plot idea?  Hell no, see other comments, it plain doesn't work with the game's setup.  Interesting, sympathetic villains that could be heroes in their own story is a good thing, not a bad thing, and if every edge-of-greatness character like that is made to come out well, it ensures that only uninteresting, baby-eating villains are left.  FE has had plenty of insane baby-eater villains already.  Doing a Golden Ending inherently means that some of these characters have to mellow out and stop being themselves; I don't want relaxed Edelgard / Rhea / Dimitri who now understand they can work out their differences with a good chat.  Those aren't the same characters anymore, then.