The FE game with the overall best cast?

Harvey

Three Houses, no questions asked. Not only are they the best, they are the most fleshed out thanks to the best iteration of the support system in the series.

Tellius comes as a far second. While PoR characters hold up fine, RD newcomers really got the short end of the stick.

Edited by Shrimperor

Tellius will always have an advantage because it had an already developed cast that gets an additional game to get fleshed out further. This allows us to see a lot of growth in the cast. Having a character like Jill turn from a hostile racist into someone who assures her Laguz friend they'll be friends even when at war is an advantage other games in the series can't really have. 

Tellius, even though Three Houses is a close second. I will just forever love Ike, Elincia, and the Greil Mercs that much as a group. They're so fun and fleshed out and developed. They have great designs too. And there are very few Tellius characters overall that I actually truly dislike a lot. I just wish the Dawn Brigade had gotten the same treatment as the Greil Mercs. Then the cast would basically be perfect. But of course, nothing is really perfect, so yeah.

Edited by Anacybele

FE7/Blazing Blade. It does the best job with its cast; everyone has a genuine chemistry, and it isn't so big that it leaves characters undeveloped, unlike Radiant Dawn and New Mystery...those Kris supports do next to NOTHING. The protagonist trio is one of the best groups the series has ever seen and it succeeds in giving its minor characters complete arcs, such as Nino, Jaffar, and Matthew.

3H has the advantage of allowing the player to unlock limitless support conversations for every character, the only limit is the amount of units a character can support with

PoR and GBA games, though, only allow every character to unlock up to 5 conversations: this was probably meant as replayability value, but for me it's just a way to block me from obtaining informations about the characters i'm controlling (i hope they get rid of this in their remakes)

despite this, imho the best FE cast is the Tellius one (Makalov for the win), thanks to appearing in 2 games (most of the characters, at least), and an overall amazing writing and a world with rich and detailed lore

those games really make you feel that the world their characters live in is real and alive

Edited by Yexin

My favorite cast is a tie between Path of Radiance and Shadows of Valentia. The cast between both games feel very grounded, and with the exception of Faye and Makalov, there's not a single character from either game who I dislike. Three Houses is also becoming one of my favorite casts as well.

I would argue that the best cast has to be Tellius and then the sacred stones. Although for Sacred Stones, while it does have a solid cast of characters, the villains are what really steal the show.

I've seen a lot of people say that three houses does but i have to disagree. While it is a step up from Awakening and fates, 90% of the cast just act like they have only one character trait to the point where i can't stand it while they are on screen.

Edited by Stephano

I agree with most people that Fodlan seems to have the best cast. The support conversations are mostly great and it makes some characters actually understandable later on.

42 minutes ago, Stephano said:

I've seen a lot of people say that three houses does but i have to disagree. While it is a step up from Awakening and fates, 90% of the cast just act like they have only one character trait to the point where i can't stand it while they are on screen.

I can see where you're coming from. But they do have character changes that aren't as one dimensional as how most FE characters tend to be in most of the games. 

And besides, traits are something that the character is known for. I can't figure out what FE character doesn't have a trait.

Edited by Harvey

That would be Elibe.  FE6 had a lot of diversity in terms of age/attractiveness.  FE7 dialed it back (sadly), but the support conversations show us a good bit about the characters without having to shove a gimmick in our faces, most of the time.

There’s no doubt in my mind that Three Houses has the best and perhaps the most memorable cast of characters FE has ever had since Tellius.

Echoes also has a pretty good cast (with the exception of Faye and a few others).

Edited by Faustino

I’m terms of what I’ve beaten I’d have to say the Tellius Saga. I haven’t really started playing TH because I’ve been busy and I don’t really have the free time/endurance anymore to beat a 200+ hour game.

19 hours ago, Harvey said:

I can see where you're coming from. But they do have character changes that aren't as one dimensional as how most FE characters tend to be in most of the games. 

And besides, traits are something that the character is known for. I can't figure out what FE character doesn't have a trait.

You are right, characters are known for having certain traits. I guess my problem comes from how “in your face” they are with those traits. 

Raphael is a character who loves food, and the game lets you know this.... a lot. Like, a lot a lot. He is a very nice guy which is nice and I think is conversations with Ignatz show that. But his conversations with other characters were him just being a bafoon

Finn however is character who is very loyal, but doesn’t really outwardly tell people. We know he is loyal through is actions.

i guess what it comes down to me is that while there are certainly great characters in Three Houses, IS gave characters a lot of traits that aren’t that appealing. I really do like Three Houses but I wish characters would be a bit more subtle with their traits.

8 hours ago, Stephano said:

Raphael is a character who loves food, and the game lets you know this.... a lot. Like, a lot a lot. He is a very nice guy which is nice and I think is conversations with Ignatz show that. But his conversations with other characters were him just being a bafoon

Finn however is character who is very loyal, but doesn’t really outwardly tell people. We know he is loyal through is actions.

Comparing them is not very fair. Besides, Raphael trains and eat plenty for his sister as due to their parents dying when they were young he had to become a knight in order to provide and protect her. Even his comedic moments are mostly for training for his sister, even in his supports where he is a "bafoon" like his supports with Marrianne and Flayn he was trying to either get close with Marrianne or helping Flayn become stronger. Raphael is not defined by one or two character traits.

Genealogy. Easy question tbh. I love just about everyone in genealogy. There's really only 2 or 3 bread characters in the entire game (Noish is the only one I can call bread without asking about more questions.) The best version of "supports" as they are coded to happen after specific events.

Also patty and dew are in genealogy, how much more do I need to say???

8 hours ago, forsettipatty said:

Genealogy. Easy question tbh. I love just about everyone in genealogy. There's really only 2 or 3 bread characters in the entire game (Noish is the only one I can call bread without asking about more questions.) The best version of "supports" as they are coded to happen after specific events.

Also patty and dew are in genealogy, how much more do I need to say???

I see you're a fellow Patty fan as well. I approve 😛

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2020 at 8:29 AM, Shrimperor said:

Three Houses, no questions asked. Not only are they the best, they are the most fleshed out thanks to the best iteration of the support system in the series.

Tellius comes as a far second. While PoR characters hold up fine, RD newcomers really got the short end of the stick.

I don't know about that, some of the RD newcomers were excellent characters like Skrimir, Pelleas, Almedha and Micaiah. 

3 hours ago, Icelerate said:

I don't know about that, some of the RD newcomers were excellent characters like Skrimir, Pelleas, Almedha and Micaiah. 

True, but without a proper support system, we see and hear very little from many others, like Kyza, Aran, Fiona, and Renning. Base conversations exist, but minor characters tend to get just a couple of those, at best.

As for the question, Sacred Stones comes to mind first. But I agree with everyone extolling Three Houses and Tellius.

Edited by Shanty Pete's 1st Mate
As for the question