NES Hacking for Babies?

Nivrap

Hi all, I recently got into the Fire Emblem series thanks to Byleth getting added to Smash, and I decided to start with FE1 for the NES! Absolutely loved it, but a lot of the text in the translation I used was either garbled characters or just... strange ("Daros became sail," for instance). While I'm sure there are more accurate translations somewhere out there, I also wanted to try getting into the world of hacking myself. However, I can't find any resources on actually learning how to romhack (at least not for NES), or the guides are so old that half the links they provide are dead. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

14 minutes ago, Nivrap said:

Mess with maps, change some dialogue, mostly just use it to learn how it works.

Yeah...  I'm having difficulty finding any resources that might help you with hacking the NES games.

FEBuilder is the most popular tool right now for making the kind of basic edits you've described, but again, it's for use with the GBA Fire Emblem games and that's it.

EDIT: If you still insist on trying to hack one of the NES Fire Emblem games, I suggest asking for help on FEUniverse.  They're much more hacking-specialized than this place in any case.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

7 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

EDIT: If you still insist on trying to hack one of the NES Fire Emblem games, I suggest asking for help on FEUniverse.  They're much more hacking-specialized than this place in any case.

Thank you, I'll check them out!