Temtem

Rapier

I've been playing it for ~6 days and honestly it gives me all the good vibes about Pokémon while still standing out on its own with new or fleshed out mechanics.

The monsters' designs, the worldbuilding, the music, animation, dialogue, game design and progression were solid enough for me to consider it on par with Pokémon games, even. The fights are also more tactical about types and skills and each Temtem feels unique, despite there being only ~100 of them  yet.

While it's still in Early Access, lacking in numbers of capturable Temtem and promising many functionalities that didn't make it yet (as the devs focused on delivering the essential for a good experience), it's big enough and fleshed out on its own, with the promise of more creatures, regions and stuff such as trading/housing/guilds.

It's also great to play with friends - you can play through the game in a party of two. I've been doing a run with a friend since I started playing.

It's also still on sale at Green Man Gaming, for anyone who's interested on giving it a try.

I caught an hour of somebody streaming it, and it looks alright. I really like how it handles "PP" with a stamina system in which you may want to hang onto some weaker moves in order to avoid running out before a battle ends. But at the same time if you're okay with the repurcussions of your little guy burning out, you can still go for one final strike. That's some cool strategy elements in an area you wouldn't see them in Pokemon.

Edited by Glennstavos