Finally Finished Three Houses with Silver Snow

Gregster101

Ok, so I finally finished all of Three Houses with the Silver Snow route. Honestly, after I do the final map again later to get the S Support with Rhea (cuz I picked Shamir as my main S support), I don't see myself ever touching Silver Snow again. It's easily the weakest of the four routes cuz it really does just feel like a shittier and more lifeless version of Verdant Wind but without Claude. The lack of a lord for Byleth to play off just makes all my problems with them much more obvious, and it also just makes the route feel very empty and hollow. Claude pretty much carries the very similar Verdant Wind route with his very charming personality, while Dimitri's character development is what makes the Azure Moon route worth playing through. Even the Crimson Flower route, for as disappointing and as short as it is, it's at least the most unique of the four routes. I honestly think the only reason anyone should ever play the Silver Snow route is just to get Rhea's S support to complete the Support Log. Other than that, it's just not worth it at all.

So as for my rankings of the four routes:

Azure Moon>Verdant Wind>Crimson Flower>>>>>>>>>>>Silver Snow

Azure Moon is best cuz of it's character development, Verdant Wind comes in second cuz of Claude, Crimson Flower comes in third cuz it's at least the most unique of the four routes in spite of how clearly unfinished it is, and Silver Snow is worst cuz it's pretty much just a shitty and lifeless version of Verdant Wind but with no Claude.

Edited by Gregster101

8 minutes ago, Sid Starkiller said:

Literally the entirety of his personality is "I hate Edelgard". He interjects it into any conversation with even the slightest pretense.

my problem is not with Edelgard (I'm neutral towards her) my problem is with the route's execution and how it feels like we are the bad guys, and I don't like feeling like this while play video games

Edited by darkblade2814

Silver Snow narrative isn't fleshed out, but nothing in it has my head in my hands like the other routes. There is one part that bugs me, though. Month 4 just gets skipped entirely. That is the Gronder field battle between three armies, and I get them wanting to not have that map for Silver Snow, but it's jarring to do the Great Bridge of Myrrdin, then suddenly everybody is sitting on their ass for a month for no reason in terms of plot. Only explained away by "we've suffered too many casualties to join the Kingdom's assault" which is frustrating when every moment before the Bridge we were hurried on in our search for Rhea. Are we in a hurry, or not? Joining the Kingdom immediately solves the issue of us lacking men, doesn't it? Losing a month is also annoying in terms of gameplay because you don't get any auto tutor experience from the time lost, and all the paralogue deadlines are one month closer than the player actually thought they were.

Also, deployment slots. Silver Snow ditches Edelgard and Hubert, leaving you with seven party members, plus Flayn. That's a team of very benchable units, but even if the player uses all them, they're still tasked with filling out those roster slots with more units of their choosing. It's a great route if you want the game to force you to build a roster that's totally unique. But in post time skip you have one less deployment slot than other routes doing the same map. And it's the slot that would have gone to the main Lord. If Seteth were forced, I'd honestly prefer that over losing the slot entirely. So frustrating to finally be assaulting Enbarr and you're still looking at 10 deployment slots. Thankfully paralogues don't have this issue.

Edited by Glennstavos

17 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Also, deployment slots. Silver Snow ditches Edelgard and Hubert, leaving you with seven party members, plus Flayn. That's a team of very benchable units, but even if the player uses all them, they're still tasked with filling out those roster slots with more units of their choosing.

Not to mention that because of how Part 1 works for BE, Catherine and Cyril are rendered practically unusable, and if you wanted Hilda, getting her is a pain in the ass.

15 minutes ago, Sid Starkiller said:

Not to mention that because of how Part 1 works for BE, Catherine and Cyril are rendered practically unusable, and if you wanted Hilda, getting her is a pain in the ass.

Catherine and Hilda are still perfectly viable. The issue exist only with Cyril who never gets reclassed into anything other than a Commoner unlike the students, meaning his base stats are horrendous on SS by the time you get him.

Other than that, I actually have the same opinion as Gregster101 and  Sid Starkiller. Objetively, there is little reason to do Silver Snow as it is the route with the least amount of actual unique content and actually punishes you gameplay-wise for doing it (mostly by losing the route's exclusive characters mid-game and taking away a deployment slot from you for the main chapters just because), unlike Azure Moon which at least gives you Gilbert in case Dedue dies for real, or GD where both the lord and the retainer stay.

Silver Snow being also the default story branch for the Black Eagles is also never not gonna bother me. Considering its the branch that took all the budget, you could think it would have more effort put into it...

Edited by Moltz23

Silver Snow suffered from Claude's route shoving itself onto what SS established. 

Claude's route should've dug more into him than ripping the same shit from Silver Snow. 

If Verdant Wind was better, Silver Snow would have reasons for us to play it.

5 hours ago, Seazas said:

If Verdant Wind was better, Silver Snow would have reasons for us to play it.

Don't you mean more distinct from Silver Snow? If so, that would help both routes a ton. A SS exclusive paralogue focused on Byleth would help as well, since in hindsight that's also the only route with no unique side missions.

11 hours ago, darkblade2814 said:

my problem is not with Edelgard (I'm neutral towards her) my problem is with the route's execution and how it feels like we are the bad guys, and I don't like feeling like this while play video games

Tbh I kinda feel this - I found myself hating Conquest, because Corrin's just "oh woe is me" as Hans murders everyone. Personally, though, I really enjoyed Crimson Flower - I'd suggest playing it at least once, to give it a fair shake.

Re: Silver Snow, I haven't played it yet, so I can't fairly assess it. But it sounds like it needs more exclusive elements. Maybe if Seteth were only playable in SS, with the Seteth/Flayn paralogue being a post-skip exclusive. The Rhealogue could be an exclusive as well. One general change I would make is, get rid of the "defend Garreg Mach" chapter 14 from all routes (we just did this two chapters ago), and replace it in SS with a "retake Garreg Mach", akin to CF-12. That way VW/AM could have Gronder 2, while CF/SS each have two different-direction Garreg Mach maps.

3 hours ago, Moltz23 said:

Don't you mean more distinct from Silver Snow? If so, that would help both routes a ton. A SS exclusive paralogue focused on Byleth would help as well, since in hindsight that's also the only route with no unique side missions.

Same thing.

Verdant Wind feels lack luster when it's supposed to be about Claude yet it's taking the same shit from SS.

2 minutes ago, Enryx25 said:

Silver Snow -> Crimson Flower -> Azure Moon -> Verdant Wind imo

That's a pretty unusual order of routes. Normally people will either like SS or CF depending on their stance on Edelgard. Also surprising to see SS and VW so far apart when they are mostly the exact same, although honestly I also liked SS more. Happy stories never really carry the same weight as more serious ones and the Black Eagles group dialogue was much more impact-full and realistic than the Golden deers' trope reminders but I still don't see them that far apart. Care to explain why you ranked them this way? I'm just curious. 

15 minutes ago, SpiceMan said:

That's a pretty unusual order of routes. Normally people will either like SS or CF depending on their stance on Edelgard. Also surprising to see SS and VW so far apart when they are mostly the exact same, although honestly I also liked SS more. Happy stories never really carry the same weight as more serious ones and the Black Eagles group dialogue was much more impact-full and realistic than the Golden deers' trope reminders but I still don't see them that far apart. Care to explain why you ranked them this way? I'm just curious. 

Verdant Wind: Claude is the most boring character in the game and the GD house has Lorenz and Ignatz which are the secondworst and worst characters in the game respectively. The final boss comes out of nowhere and the route itself is a copy paste of SS.

Azure Moon: It's ok I guess.

Crimson Flower: The first route I did. I completely understand El's motivations but on the other hand her means are completely wrong and I'll never agree with her, especially when most of the knowledge she has about Rhea/the CoS is wrong. She's amazing villain. The route is sadly too short and rushed though.

Silver Snow: The Black Eagles students are my children and I love them all while Flayn and Seteth are really nice people and 2 of my favorite characters in the game.  Rhea is also a tragic character with good motivations and actually good means unlikely Edelgard. She being the final boss makes sense because of dragon degeneration and her physical condition after she blocked ballistic missiles. I also find Byleth interesting so I don't mind him/her taking all decisions.

My route order was:

CF -> GD -> AM -> SS

• 4 months later...

Best to worst  :

1st : Azure Moon (All recruit)

2nd : Silver Snow (All recruit)

3rd : Verdant Wind (All recruit)

4th : Crimson Flower (All recruit)

5th : Verdant Wind (No recruit)

6th : Silver Snow (No recruit)

7th : Crimson Flower (No recruit)

8th : Azure Moon (No recruit)