Fire Emblem Setting; New Franchise

Mandokarla

We're all here, presumably, because we really enjoy the Fire Emblem style of video game: structure, gameplay, art styles, etc. I like the combination of turn-based strategy and RPG elements that aren't well done elsewhere. The art and music are iconic as well. 

Obviously, we all have other forms of media that we are also very fond of. So, if you were to take another franchise, or story, or book/movie/etc and place its characters and related story/stories into the framework of a Fire Emblem game, what would it be and why?

I would personally love to see Star Wars in this kind of a setting. I know you can get close with XCOM 2 mods, but it isn't quite the same thing. If I were to be a little more obscure, I honestly think Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn books would be a lot of fun to adapt into this kind of a game (mostly because implementing the magic system of those books into any kind of satisfying realtime gameplay is literally impossible, and a turn-based medium would let you go bonkers on the animations). 

What are your ideas? What would you do? 

Just recently in a thread about ideas for the next FE game I advocated for a FE space opera (think Space Battleship Yamato) or a modern setting with mechas (think Front Mission). I wasn't joking, I'd love to see both happen. 

That said, when the FExSMT crossover was announced I expected some kind of Devil Survivor with Fire Emblem characters, so basically FE+demons in an urban setting. Still like this idea.  

I remember when I was a dumb kid shooting my dumb friends with airsoft guns and thinking "what would it be like if armies of people did pretend war with these things?". Little did I know that grown men actually do just that. An XCOM game but its airsoft guns instead of real people dying seems like the sort of game I'd throw at a pitch meeting. 

But for a more explicitly Fire Emblem game with fantasy elements, I wouldn't go too far from that idea. This time it's water guns and other water-based equipment like water balloons and twisted towels like what you hit each other with in locker rooms. Hell, Splatoon has already done a shooter of this very idea, I'm sure a turn based rpg game in the Splatoon universe or some original fantasy universe would be a real hit.

Edited by Glennstavos

I second the Star Wars idea. It would definitely be interesting to see how the Force would be handled, as well as the differences between Jedi/Sith and the various troopers throughout the universe. It helps that there also aren't that many turn based strategy games in Star Wars, much less turn based tactics, so it fulfill a unique niche.

The Legend of Zelda would also be interesting to see. There are a multitude of various races, characters, settings, and items in the Zelda series, but outside of Hyrule warriors and Spirit Tracks (and the CDI-games) we only ever actually get to play as Link. It would be cool to see what the rank and file military of the Zelda series would look like in action, and the equipment link utilizes in each game could bring some unique elements into a strategy context. My main concern would be the story, since even in a spin-off where it wouldn't matter all that much, I'm not certain how well Zelda's method of storytelling and Fire Emblem's would mesh.

I've mentioned Blustone before, and while it's been a long time since I've last played it darn you, limited phone space, I still stand by how it would be an easy game to make. Bluestone in a sense has a "weapon triangle" (fire>ice>electricity>fire), four class types (offensive, defensive, bomber, and support (healers)) with unique abilities between characters so they serve their roles differently, and even a conversation system similar to Fire Emblem's supports where two characters talk to each other and gain bonuses, albeit they are unlocked differently. The cast is pretty quirky and has some hidden depths, and it wouldn't be too difficult to make a Fire Emblem-esque story out of the setting.