Husbando Tropes/Archetypes

XRay

I am pretty familiar with waifus, but I am less familiar with husbandos, so I am curious about the husbando side of things. So you know how there are a lot of waifu tropes/types? Do husbandos have as large of a variety as waifus? Which ones are the most popular?

The only husbando types I am a little familiar with are emo-ish pretty boy husbandos (Edward), fierce and loyal husbandos (Jacob), and control freak/domination husbandos (Christian from 50 Shades).

Are tsundere husbandos a thing? I mean, I know male tsunderes exist (we got Helbindi), but like, do many women consider them husbandos?

What about Camus husbandos? Is that just a Fire Emblem thing, or are there husbandos like Camus in the wider anime universe?

Are personal butler/knight/protector/guardian husbandos a thing? For example Seth, Reinhardt, Jacob, and Hubert? Or does that trop not really exist and it makes more sense to split it up and make a distinction between actual knights like Seth and Reinhardt and personal manservants like Jacob and Hubert?

Edited by XRay

3 hours ago, XRay said:

I am pretty familiar with waifus, but I am less familiar with husbandos, so I am curious about the husbando side of things. So you know how there are a lot of waifu tropes/types? Do husbandos have as large of a variety as waifus? Which ones are the most popular?

The only husbando types I am a little familiar with are emo-ish pretty boy husbandos (Edward), fierce and loyal husbandos (Jacob), and control freak/domination husbandos (Christian from 50 Shades).

Are tsundere husbandos a thing? I mean, I know male tsunderes exist (we got Helbindi), but like, do many women consider them husbandos?

What about Camus husbandos? Is that just a Fire Emblem thing, or are there husbandos like Camus in the wider anime universe?

Are personal butler/knight/protector/guardian husbandos a thing? For example Seth, Reinhardt, Jacob, and Hubert? Or does that trop not really exist and it makes more sense to split it up and make a distinction between actual knights like Seth and Reinhardt and personal manservants like Jacob and Hubert?

Just watch Bakarina when it comes out. Otome games have a lot of tropes.

7 hours ago, XRay said:

Yes these are all a thing.  Girls have their favorite types just like guys do.  

9 hours ago, XRay said:

Oh yes, as someone that loves Frederick and Silas to pieces, I can tell you this is true. lol I also like Seth. But not really any of the other guys you mentioned here.

For me, there's also skirt-chaser/womanizer husbandos, I guess since I also love guys like Sylvain and Sain? Though I typically don't actually use the word husbando because I think it's silly and unnecessary, but that's me.

Ike is the one dude in my top FE guys that I don't consider a husbando in any way, interestingly. Part of it is because of how hard I ship him with Elincia, yes. But I think at the end of the day, I'm also not sure I would take a guy like him to be my husband over a guy like the ones mentioned above. There's just that certain type of guy I will love more than any other, I guess!

34 minutes ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

The Male Cinnamon Roll: A guy that is so wholesome and pure, he elicits "Aw"s wherever they go. They might also fall into the "Adorkable" category. Bonus points if they also love books.

Ashe.

10 hours ago, XRay said:

Are tsundere husbandos a thing? I mean, I know male tsunderes exist (we got Helbindi)

Felix is a better example imo.

7 hours ago, Flere210 said:

Just watch Bakarina when it comes out. Otome games have a lot of tropes.

Cool. I will mark it down on My Anime List.

3 hours ago, EricaofRenais said:

Yes these are all a thing.  Girls have their favorite types just like guys do.  

I see. What are some of the most popular husbando types?

Like, for the waidu side, tsunderes are super popular, and they seem to be the most popular type of waifus since they seem to be everywhere. Sexy vixens are very popular too, although I am not sure if they are as popular as tsunderes. Doting onee chans are pretty huge too. And for Fire Emblem, the uptight/serious/responsible waifu seems pretty popular with Lucina, Azura, and Edelgard ranking pretty high, although they do not seem to be as popular in the wider anime world.

From what limited exposure and knowledge I have so far about husbandos, it seems like pretty boys are the most popular, like Justin Bieber and Korean boy bands and Edward.

2 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Two words

BOY’S LOVE

Are there any that you recommend? How similar is yaoi compared to yuri? I like Citrus for example, and I think it is the best yuri manga ever, but is there something similar on the yaoi side?

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Oh yes, as someone that loves Frederick and Silas to pieces, I can tell you this is true. lol I also like Seth. But not really any of the other guys you mentioned here.

I see. Knights seem to be pretty popular, or at least Disney makes it seem like so for teens and adults of our generation. Are knights still popular among older women and older generations too?

I mostly just hear about how younger women want to be swept off their feet. Older women I have encountered seems to just want a boring old guy with a stable job and take her out for dinner or something. I have not talked with a lot of older women, and much less about husbandos with them, so maybe they do want something fancy like white knights in shining armor or something.

1 hour ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

The Male Cinnamon Roll: A guy that is so wholesome and pure, he elicits "Aw"s wherever they go. They might also fall into the "Adorkable" category. Bonus points if they also love books.

34 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Ashe.

Does M!Kana count? Or is he too young?

36 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Felix is a better example imo.

It shows how little I played Three Houses. I will probably get my own Switch sometime this year before September since that is when the M!Byleth promo ends.

3 minutes ago, XRay said:

I see. Knights seem to be pretty popular, or at least Disney makes it seem like so for teens and adults of our generation. Are knights still popular among older women and older generations too?

I'm not sure. I can only say I tend to like knights. More than princes, even. I guess I just like a guy who's strong and can protect me and stuff if he had to, even though I also like to be able to defend myself.

13 minutes ago, XRay said:

Are there any that you recommend? How similar is yaoi compared to yuri? I like Citrus for example, and I think it is the best yuri manga ever, but is there something similar on the yaoi side?

I dunno I’d have to ask my sister. She’s more into it than I am personally.

2 hours ago, XRay said:

I see. What are some of the most popular husbando types?

Like, for the waidu side, tsunderes are super popular, and they seem to be the most popular type of waifus since they seem to be everywhere. Sexy vixens are very popular too, although I am not sure if they are as popular as tsunderes. Doting onee chans are pretty huge too. And for Fire Emblem, the uptight/serious/responsible waifu seems pretty popular with Lucina, Azura, and Edelgard ranking pretty high, although they do not seem to be as popular in the wider anime world.

Butlers are highly popular such as Black Butler, pretty boys are popular as well but they have to have more to them then just being good looking to slay the rankings, bad boys are good as well.  My personal husbando is Sanzo from Saiyuki, but that is more a case of I just really connect with his character as a whole.  I think in terms of "deres"yanderes and tsunderes are the most popular since those two are the most common I see in the manga and anime I like.  The loyal type is probably the highest which is why knights and butlers are so high.  Some girls like the "flirt" character, but not as much for a husbando as the loyal type.

I'm not into otome stuff, but there's quite a few popular tropes. Granted, I don't think there's as many tropes as there are "waifus", but I'm sure we'll find out in this thread sooner or later. Here's a few types I noticed:

The Playboy: The guy that will sleep with any hot girl he sees once. However, he changes when he meets our Plain Jane MC because she's a virgin or some shit and we're supposed to believe that a guy that sleeps around a lot has never taken someone's virginity. He probably doesn't have a good relationship with his parents, but desires a strong central support system within his partner. The Sexy Type.

Why So Serious?: This fine gentleman is tall, handsome, has a good job, and is excellent at it. Usually the strict boss of the MC. He puts all of his energy into his work and is considered a god among his subordinates. He may have had a lover in the past, but for some reason or another (usually death), they're not together anymore and this has left him scarred. Someone afraid to love that the clumsy MC who's bad at her job somehow does. The Serious Type.

The Protector: This guy usually has an occupation involving fighting. The dude is strong. Develops an attachment to the MC that is as strong as his muscles. Can become quite Yandere-like at times, if not, all the time. The most devoted o

f the main male leads. Sometimes gets mixed with another trope. The Manly Type.

The Rich Asshole: Exactly what his name implies, the MC and this male lead will NOT get along at first. There will be conflict, but mostly one-sided because the power dynamic is not in the girl's favor because she most likely works for the rich asshole. Can be a tsundere type. The Mean Type

The Shy Boi: This boy just wants to be alone... until you come along.Tends to enjoy quiet activities like reading, art, or some weird hobby. The strangest of the male leads. Tends to be slimmer and shorter, but not always. The Gentle Type.

These are generally the 5 building blocks of husbandos. Play any ShallWeDate? game in an app store and you'll see what I mean.

2 hours ago, XRay said:

1. Yes, they're a thing. In general, the audience is mixed on these types of main male leads. It depends on the skill of the author to write a good story. Generally used for younger husbandos. This trope is not  as popular with women as it is with men. There's more tsundere girls than tsundere boys? Why? I just don't think the trope appeals to as many women as men.

2. What do you mean by Camus husbandos? Like, someone they can't have? Most commercial webtoons/mangakas try to avoid the possibility of them not getting together since it would piss off a lot of people. If the story takes place like Romeo and Juliet, people can forgive it more easily.

3. Yes there is a couple like that! Not as common as you would think though.

4 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

2. What do you mean by Camus husbandos? Like, someone they can't have? Most commercial webtoons/mangakas try to avoid the possibility of them not getting together since it would piss off a lot of people. If the story takes place like Romeo and Juliet, people can forgive it more easily.

I am not too sure actually. For the Camus archetype in Fire Emblem, they all seem to be honorable but powerful characters fighting on the wrong side of the war. Also have a good heart. And also very serious looking.

I guess do girls like it when they have to win an enemy husbando over?

3 minutes ago, XRay said:

I am not too sure actually. For the Camus archetype in Fire Emblem, they all seem to be honorable but powerful characters fighting on the wrong side of the war. Also have a good heart. And also very serious looking.

I guess do girls like it when they have to win an enemy husbando over?

Yep, but I think it's more of a "forbidden romance" feeling. Like Tale of Two Towns, for example.

"Enemy husbando" actually made me think of criminals for some reason, and yes, there's a fetish for that too. There's a couple of notable serial killers that got love letters in prison.

6 hours ago, XRay said:

Does M!Kana count? Or is he too young?

Morgan probably counts more than Kana since Kana is still a child while Morgan is at least a teenager, if a really petite one. 

Then again Percy can be a literal husbando to Corrin(what's wrong with you, Corrin!) so maybe Kana counts too. 

If you search "otome" on the Switch eShop, you will get some results for games full of typical anime hubbies, if you're that interested in seeing for yourself.

That said, be wary, this very niche genre can be very cheaply, and poorly translated into English.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

If you search "otome" on the Switch eShop, you will get some results for games full of typical anime hubbies, if you're that interested in seeing for yourself.

That said, be wary, this very niche genre can be very cheaply, and poorly translated into English.

What the hell lol. Is nobody proofreading this? Are they just using whatever Google Translate says? Somehow I think even Google Translate would do better.

On 2/10/2020 at 2:37 PM, XRay said:

I've heard Yuri on Ice is pretty good. I haven't seen it yet, though.